Which M1000 tournament has most prestige? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which M1000 tournament has most prestige?

viruzzz
03-16-2011, 10:47 PM
We've been talking before of "your favorite masters tournament" and "better masters".
But, which of the 10 (I included Hamburg) tournaments has most prestige for a player.
If your favorite "Masters virgin" player would win a masters, who will it be?
Discuss.

In my humble opinion, Hamburg had something any other tournament do.
Old, classic, important... But they degraded it, so now, I'm thinking about Canada.
Montecarlo has something too, but the "optional" thing isn't good for the tournament.

What do you guys think?

EnriqueIG8
03-16-2011, 10:49 PM
In terms of matching GS prestige, the 2 hardcourt masters in march IW & Miami.

But for me personally Monte Carlo has something 'royal' no other masters have.

The wonderful view on Centre Court also makes it prestigious in my opinion.

Satasonic
03-16-2011, 10:51 PM
In terms of "Prestige", I think Monte Carlo takes it. In terms of other factors, such as Technology and overall atmosphere, Its close between Indian Wells and the Canadian Masters.

Henry Chinaski
03-16-2011, 10:55 PM
Indian Wells or Rome, depending on the player's background.

That is the sense I have always got from reading tennis biographies.

Only Miami comes close to those two.

Monte Carlo is no longer even mandatory, Madrid/Shanghai have no history, Cinci/Canada are US Open tune-ups, Paris is at a bad time in the season.

Mungo
03-16-2011, 10:59 PM
Monte Carlo. It's in a tennis club. You breath history, tradition and glamour there + the centre court is the most beautiful in the world.

Pirata.
03-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Indian Wells and Monte Carlo.

And Queens, the honorary Masters.

elena_k
03-16-2011, 11:44 PM
i think Indian wells and Miami are least important, players only play them for there points. Most players by this time just want to get on clay and practice for French Open.

Young 8
03-16-2011, 11:45 PM
Shangai

Puschkin
03-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Hamburg is not a 1000 event any longer.

The way I understand "prestige" it is Monte Carlo. Besides, I love this event.

rocketassist
03-16-2011, 11:52 PM
Monte Carlo and Rome for me. Classic, traditional tennis arenas. The way the ATP took mandatory status off MC is another sign of how they have killed the prestige of the game and of the Masters Series.

Though Masters now are glorified MMs with pissweak draws, top player byes and no 5 set finals...

superganon
03-17-2011, 12:03 AM
miami,madrid,shanghai and paris.

why?

miami is the last HC tournament before clay season.
madrid is in spain and the players really want to beat nadal here.
shanghai is the biggest 1000 money wise and the players always picks it as nr1 1000 event. its also a important tournament for the top guys since after USO theres not many big tourneys left.
paris is the last 1000 event of the year and latley we have seen that home players present a better game on home soil. many players wants to end well ( if they now dont play WTF) and bring up a last fight

ApproachShot
03-17-2011, 12:05 AM
I'd like to say Monte Carlo because of the history, but it's difficult now that it not even a mandatory Masters tournament. In my view Queens is as prestigious as some of the Masters 1000 tournaments, but I always had a soft spot for the tournament.

Give it a generation and I think the vast majority will be saying Indian Wells.

Elbarto
03-17-2011, 12:07 AM
Which M1000 tournament has most prestige?

Miami and Monte-Carlo

romismak
03-17-2011, 12:10 AM
In term of prestige i would pick Monte Carlo- it has history among clay court tournaments- like Wimbledon between GS. Then IW-Miami are probably 2 hardest- because biggest draw- 96 players- but they are 2 in a row- so that made them not so prestige alone. Miami is considered as 5th GS, IW- has the biggest attendance after GS, but still 2 big tournaments- very similar- HC in march in USA.. PAris- i think worst from Masters- not everyone carres to play good there, season is finishing and so on. Hamburg is not anymore 1000 category, Shanghai- is new, in Asia- no history..., in summer Cinci and Canada the same like IW-Miami- 2 in a row- similar- even smaller events than those in march, Rome- Madrid big clay tournaments but not more special then others and then finally Monte carlo- smallest draw- not every mug play there, history, it is nice and most RG champioons are also Monte Carlo champions- but ATP made it worse with that rule that is is not mandatory - Monte Carlo is only Master 1000 tournament where top players can don´t come..

Caralimon
03-17-2011, 12:17 AM
Monte-Carlo, Rome and Canada, mostly due to their longevity in tennis. Indian Wells and Miami are probably the biggest events after the Slams and the Masters, but in terms of prestige they have a long way to go.

abraxas21
03-17-2011, 12:23 AM
rome is the only MS that's worthy of some recognition.

all the rest suck.

Jomp1
03-17-2011, 12:28 AM
Monte Carlo used to, but some top players are skipping it now because of the new status thing. It's just a clay warmup tournament now.

I think Miami, last HC tournament on tour before 4 months of clay and grass tennis begin, and it has a big draw.

abraxas21
03-17-2011, 12:31 AM
for a more detailed explanation, check this:

IW: Tournament for the rich old retired americans who dream about being good tennis players but alas can't even run 2 steps without causing themselves an hernia. the mugginess of this tourney grew significantly when it was extended to 2 weeks.

Miami: the stars with big boobs serve to redeem this BS from it's ultimate mugginess but at the end of the day you're still left with a sour taste in your tongue. And let me say this: excuse me, you're boring me with your non-winning slightly defeatist attitude. 2 weeks? read above

MC: could be a good tournament but the fact that it was downgraded by the ATP doesn't make it any favours when we talk about 'prestige'

Rome: great crowd, great stadium. the best masters 1000 around. too bad it's been won by pocahontas so much, though.

Madrid: money-making máquina for tiriac and his gang of spanish/romanian dealers. one can look in awe at the hot ball girls but fact remains, they're killing all that's beautiful in tennis. not even the yanks have sunk that low.

hamburg: just no. i loved the stadium but it's not even a masters 1000 now so it shouldnt be in the list

canada: the switiching locations kinda conspire against its perception of prestige, imo.

cincy: mug tournament with muggy crowd. it seems no-one gives much of a crap for it. plus, when you look at the players in the middle of the court you kind of get hot yourself. what is it? are they playing under a 40°C temperature or what?

shanghai: too new to hold any type of prestige as things stand now. probably never will, though.

paris: no, i'm too tired to play in paris, the season is too long and all that rubbish. well, that just sucks. next year grow some cojones, plan your schedule better and stop giving half-assed efforts, son.

rafa_maniac
03-17-2011, 12:34 AM
Miami or Rome imo. I would like to say Monte Carlo as its the classiest and my personal favourite but now that its not even mandatory its arguably the least important of the Masters:(

Topspindoctor
03-17-2011, 12:38 AM
Monte Carlo. The only clay masters with true slow clay left. No wonder every clown who passes for a top player these days is scared shitless to go there because Nadal has pretty much made it his playground for the last 6 years. Can't wait for another annual whipping of the field this year.

viruzzz
03-17-2011, 12:49 AM
for a more detailed explanation, check this:

IW: Tournament for the rich old retired americans who dream about being good tennis players but alas can't even run 2 steps without causing themselves an hernia. the mugginess of this tourney grew significantly when it was extended to 2 weeks.

Miami: the stars with big boobs serve to redeem this BS from it's ultimate mugginess but at the end of the day you're still left with a sour taste in your tongue. And let me say this: excuse me, you're boring me with your non-winning slightly defeatist attitude. 2 weeks? read above

MC: could be a good tournament but the fact that it was downgraded by the ATP doesn't make it any favours when we talk about 'prestige'

Rome: great crowd, great stadium. the best masters 1000 around. too bad it's been won by pocahontas so much, though.

Madrid: money-making máquina for tiriac and his gang of spanish/romanian dealers. one can look in awe at the hot ball girls but fact remains, they're killing all that's beautiful in tennis. not even the yanks have sunk that low.

hamburg: just no. i loved the stadium but it's not even a masters 1000 now so it shouldnt be in the list

canada: the switiching locations kind conspire against its perception of prestige, imo.

cincy: mug tournament with muggy crowd. it seems no-one gives much of a crap for it. plus, when you look at the players in the middle of the court you kind of get hot yourself. what is it? are they playing under a 40°C temperature or what?

shanghai: too new to hold any type of prestige as things stand now. probably never will, though.

paris: i'm to tired to play in paris, the season is too long and all that. well, that just sucks. next year grow some cojones, plan your schedule better and stop giving half-assed efforts, son.

Great post. Excellent explanation of your ideas and thoughts. :worship:

Igede
03-17-2011, 01:33 AM
Iw

Action Jackson
03-17-2011, 01:57 AM
None

Johnny Groove
03-17-2011, 02:02 AM
Monte Carlo y Roma.

cutesteve22
03-17-2011, 02:09 AM
Roma, Monte Carlo

Getta
03-17-2011, 02:11 AM
none stand alone.

Mountaindewslave
03-17-2011, 02:13 AM
through time certainly Monte Carlo, but since the ATP has basically demoted the tournament by making it non-mandatory, the most prestigious of today is probably INdian Wells

gulzhan
03-17-2011, 02:14 AM
I think Miami although I always liked Monte Carlo the most.

ibreak4coffee
03-17-2011, 02:16 AM
I've been to three of them and I think Miami should take it... but Indian Wells makes a nice case. As Henry Chianski points out, these two masters have a large chunk of the calendar to themselves and are back to back, brings everyone out

FiBeR
03-17-2011, 03:53 AM
Monte-Carlo
M-C
+ the rest
No other tournament would get all players to stand up and demand the sustain of its status... (doesnt matter the money issue, still there is something special about this tournament although ATP tries to take that away...)

dont players get together in MC every year as well?? this tournament is by far (to me) the most special ones in terms of prestige

Johnny Groove
03-17-2011, 03:56 AM
Odd to see Miami winning the poll.

FlameOn
03-17-2011, 03:58 AM
I voted Miami and Rome.

Stefanos13
03-17-2011, 06:47 AM
They all have the same importance but for some reason Monte Carlo has that 'air' about it. Surprised that Miami scores so highly – I don't see it...

Ad Wim
03-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Tough to say. It's about tradition, recent history, scheduling, etc.
Monte Carlo has it all, but has been a bit downgraded. Miami will always be the tournament right after IW. Shanghai is too new, as well as Madrid.

So I'd go for IW or Rome.

Arkulari
03-17-2011, 08:41 AM
Rome and Canada

propi
03-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Roma of course, no competition here :worship:

Blackbriar
03-17-2011, 10:09 AM
to me it's Monte Carlo, i can't say why exactly (i'm no Nadal fan). I think it's because it opens the clay season in Europe, i like the Queens for the same reason.

I added Indian Wells and Shanghai, it's in China and soon it will be the biggest MS because of its situation, players seem to like it too. I hated Hamburg and Indoor Madrid. Madrid is okay now, but needs a few years more of history. Paris suck and should be dropped, or replace London as Masters Finals in a few years.

born_on_clay
03-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Monte Carlo. It's in a tennis club. You breath history, tradition and glamour there + the centre court is the most beautiful in the world.

agreed in 100%

Rome on the second place

Branimir
03-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Miami?

madmax
03-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Easily IW and Miami for me - all the others are pretty much tune-ups to respective upcoming slams or simply have no history, like the Asian ones. IW and Miami are like two mini-slams out there, with their own unique surface and atmosphere

Shade
03-17-2011, 02:49 PM
I can't see how MC is winning the poll when it's not even a required event. Puts it at the bottom, in my opinion. Has the most history, for sure, but currently it doesn't come close to some of the others.

Indian Wells and Rome. Easy.

Chris Kuerten
03-17-2011, 02:51 PM
1. Monte Carlo
2. Indian Wells

TheBoiledEgg
03-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Italian Open was for years and years the most prestigous outside the slams before all the :bs: first with Miami :yawn: trying to make it slam and it failed after 1`-2 yrs having started with 5 sets format all way through
then with all this Masters :bs: came along when the clowns renamed the Super 9's

Like to see the tourns how they were named before

Italian Open
German Open
Canadian Open

not this :bs: MS Roma, Madrid etc

vn01
03-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Indian Wells and Canada, imo. Also Rome

Doomach777
03-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Iw & Mc

tennisfan856
03-17-2011, 07:26 PM
monte carlo, the most beautiful stadium layout and environment on the tour.

DrJules
03-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Rome.

Monte Carlo a close second.

Mateya
03-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Monte Carlo for me :cool:
Indian Wells, Miami, Rome are very close.

For the first time in my life I agree with you. :p

Mario000
03-17-2011, 07:52 PM
monte carlo and rome in my opinion

PS. If there is someone from Rome here,please PM me. I am going this year to Rome masters and I need some help

samjones
03-17-2011, 07:58 PM

It's hot in Ohio in the summer. See - when I read things like this I wonder if the poster was actually intending to say this or whether his Tourette's was just acting up again.

What evidence does anyone have that the quality of player or play is lower in Cincy than in any other tournament?

And why give Cincy a hard time for their crowd? I don't see it at all.

Cincy is the most down-to-earth of the Masters Series because it is neither a major city of the world nor is it a vacation destination nor is it known for its country clubs.

Still - they have a dedicated sponsor and they've had the tournament forever and they haven't lost it yet. The crowds fill the stands and the show goes on so I say more power to them. They're the Green Bay of tennis.

Miami is the 5th slam. I would say it ranks somewhere between AO and Wimbledon in terms of Prestige. Here's my list - top to bottom

1. USO
2. Wimbledon
3. Miami
4. Australian Open
5. WTF / O2
6. Olympics
7. Roland Garros
8. Cincy
9. IW
10. Canada

Joolz
03-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Monte Carlo and Rome.

Pirata.
03-17-2011, 09:23 PM

I love that there's an event in Ohio, but this is true. Most of the crowd is middle aged rich people who don't give a shit about professional tennis, they only know it because of their country club tennis. When I went in 2009, for example, at the final, people there didn't even seem to know who Djokovic was or that he had just recently become #2 in the world :o

They're the Green Bay of tennis.

:lol:

zeleni
03-17-2011, 09:31 PM
For me, Indian Wells, and Monte Carlo on clay.

ChinoRios4Ever
03-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Monte-Carlo, Roma and Key Biscayne

Mario000
03-17-2011, 10:09 PM
check out the percentages in the poll :silly::silly:

krakenzero
03-17-2011, 11:27 PM
It's hot in Ohio in the summer. See - when I read things like this I wonder if the poster was actually intending to say this or whether his Tourette's was just acting up again.

What evidence does anyone have that the quality of player or play is lower in Cincy than in any other tournament?

And why give Cincy a hard time for their crowd? I don't see it at all.

Cincy is the most down-to-earth of the Masters Series because it is neither a major city of the world nor is it a vacation destination nor is it known for its country clubs.

Still - they have a dedicated sponsor and they've had the tournament forever and they haven't lost it yet. The crowds fill the stands and the show goes on so I say more power to them. They're the Green Bay of tennis.

Miami is the 5th slam. I would say it ranks somewhere between AO and Wimbledon in terms of Prestige. Here's my list - top to bottom

1. USO
2. Wimbledon
3. Miami
4. Australian Open
5. WTF / O2
6. Olympics
7. Roland Garros
8. Cincy
9. IW
10. Canada

I know they say "Don't feed the troll", but sometimes it's so damn difficult...

LocoPorElTenis
03-18-2011, 12:08 AM

1. USO
2. Wimbledon
3. Miami
4. Australian Open
5. WTF / O2
6. Olympics
7. Roland Garros
8. Cincy
9. IW
10. Canada

:spit:

You're deffo a troll, no way on earth anybody can seriously believe that Miami > AO > WTF > RG :haha:

viruzzz
03-18-2011, 12:11 AM

You're deffo a troll, no way on earth anybody can seriously believe that Miami > AO > WTF > RG :haha:

Hey! 1 Miami > 10 WIM

samjones
03-18-2011, 12:47 AM

I can't really take AO that seriously because it happens in the middle of the night in the dead of winter in some burgh in the middle of nowhere.

I can't take any clay court tournament that seriously because they're all bullshit.

Do they play basketball on red clay? No. Do they play football on red clay? No. Do they play hockey on red clay? No. Do they play baseball on red clay? No.

That's because red clay is bullshit.

samjones
03-18-2011, 12:50 AM
I love that there's an event in Ohio, but this is true. Most of the crowd is middle aged rich people who don't give a shit about professional tennis, they only know it because of their country club tennis. When I went in 2009, for example, at the final, people there didn't even seem to know who Djokovic was or that he had just recently become #2 in the world :o

It's Cincinnati, not Newport or Atlanta or Palm Springs. Fact is, there isn't really a heavy-duty high-density high-population country-club population there and it isn't really what you'd call a big-time tourist destination.

They wouldn't be able to fill the seats with "mostly" middle-aged rich people who belong to country clubs.

NoFroz
03-18-2011, 04:42 AM
I can't really take AO that seriously because it happens in the middle of the night in the dead of winter in some burgh in the middle of nowhere.

I can't take any clay court tournament that seriously because they're all bullshit.

Do they play basketball on red clay? No. Do they play football on red clay? No. Do they play hockey on red clay? No. Do they play baseball on red clay? No.

I wonder if you're being serious.

Slams are out of the equation here. Ask Davydenko or Murray if they'd change Miami trophy for AO's or RG...
Tennis is a big sport on its own and doesn't need other sports to aknowledge clay.

coolfish1103
03-18-2011, 05:33 AM
Monte Carlo, then Indian Wells.

They should really re-time all the Master Series and Grand Slams to make it easier for players to participate.

samjones
03-18-2011, 11:34 AM
I wonder if you're being serious.

Slams are out of the equation here. Ask Davydenko or Murray if they'd change Miami trophy for AO's or RG...
Tennis is a big sport on its own and doesn't need other sports to aknowledge clay.

Andy Murray would give both nuts and half his Scotch prick for any slam.

As the hard surfaces and Hawkeye become more affordable, more and more tournaments will abandon clay. There will be some semblance of a clay court season but it will become by and large a relic like grass is today.

Topspindoctor
03-18-2011, 12:26 PM

Why? Because all Americans are clay mugs and can't win shit on the surface? Butthurt Yank is butthurt. :retard: :o :zzz:

samjones
03-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Why? Because all Americans are clay mugs and can't win shit on the surface? Butthurt Yank is butthurt. :retard: :o :zzz:

Scuse me, but this week shows pretty clearly that American men are all-surface mugs... Ryan excepted.

We don't play on clay cuz it's bullshit. We have red clay courts. They have them in Houston and St. Pete. They have indoor red clay at BJK - reserve a court and try it out!

We don't play on it cuz it's bullshit. We're way more into getting lighting and Hawkeye on our outter courts then we are about worrying about the red clay bullshit.

Action Jackson
03-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Samuel Jones trolling school, not very subtle in fact as subtle as throwing a grenade into a lake to catch fish. Always get some that are edible.

Topspindoctor
03-18-2011, 12:43 PM
You keep saying red clay is bullshit. Explain why. Lack of lighting and Hawkeye? Really? That's not red clay's problem. It's one of the traditional surfaces alongside with grass. If anything hard court is bullshit, to be honest and relatively recent invention. If you hate clay, you are not a fan of tennis, period.

Every slam can be criticized... What about USO super Saturday not giving players one day rest before slam final? No roof over AA stadium? What about 5th set tie breaks totally killing tradition thanks to public's limited attention span?

Mario000
03-18-2011, 06:29 PM

aaaaaaaaa now I get it why do they not swim on a red clay

FormerRafaFan
03-18-2011, 06:56 PM
I don't know.. probably Monte Carlo, so I voted for it.

samjones
03-18-2011, 07:39 PM
You keep saying red clay is bullshit. Explain why. Lack of lighting and Hawkeye? Really? That's not red clay's problem. It's one of the traditional surfaces alongside with grass. If anything hard court is bullshit, to be honest and relatively recent invention. If you hate clay, you are not a fan of tennis, period.

Every slam can be criticized... What about USO super Saturday not giving players one day rest before slam final? No roof over AA stadium? What about 5th set tie breaks totally killing tradition thanks to public's limited attention span?

American tennis is a business - not bullshit. On Saturday we're at home in front of our tv's so if those bastards know what's good for them they'll be out there playing some tennis.

That's why we make sure our courts are lit. So we can finish the bleepin match before the next morning. It'll be hard for future generations to believe, but the match of the century - Wimbledon '08 Finals - was played in less than ideal conditions and it was so hotly contested that it will be impossible to tell whether the better player won or whether one guy just got lucky in the dark.

I have to admit that I'm kindof with you on the "no roof over Ashe" thing. There will never be a roof over Ashe because there's no place to put it without rebuilding the stadium from scratch and totally redoing the lighting. Still, they could easily bulldoze the lame Pitch and Putt and put up a brand new stadium.

I don't know what it is about New Yorkers. We build 3 new stadiums in the last few years. None of them are indoors. Guess we like it that way.

philosophicalarf
03-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Monte Carlo is lovely, but the field is weaker now, can't be that.

Has to be Indian Wells: far larger draw, huge attendance, and players are well-rested (unlike the last clay masters, and Cinci).

Also interesting with a hard court so slow the clay boys can compete. On clay and faster hard court half the field turns up with no ambition, and you get lots of cruddy non matches as a result.