Miami WC. What do you think about them? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Miami WC. What do you think about them?

viruzzz
03-16-2011, 07:20 AM
Blake, Harrison, Raonic, Sock and Tomic.

Well... I want to know what MTF think about the desition of giving WC to these players.

My thoughts:

Blake: Well... Some people say Blake is done. I don't think so, I think he could give something to the tennis world, and reach QF with an easy draw (He didn't get that in IW).
Americans want Blake to play, he's their homeboy and he had great moments (ex N1 of America, finalist of the YEC). It's an economic desition to put blake in the MD.

Harrison: He speaks for himself. Reaching R4 in a masters and his tennis level is worth the WC.

Raonic: This is probably his last WC (if he doesn't get injuries), in the next tournaments he'll be seed. (What a jump... From WC to seed).

Sock: I personally don't agree here.
He's the USO junior winner. But he didn't do nothing besides that.
He reached the R3 in the Dallas challenger and I think he got eliminated early in another challenger (Can anyone confirm this?). Since USO10 I didn't know anything about this player.
He's the same age as Harrison, I know this couldn't be a fact to know the tennis level of a player, but I don't think it's the time to give him a WC.

Tomic: Well... He played very well in Australia.
With an easy draw he could reach R3 I think... I hope he play so many more challengers than in 2010 and get finally into the top 100.
Then we could analyze his tennis level with more details.
He probably deserves this WC. Don't blame it, Bernard.

Arkulari
03-16-2011, 07:23 AM
Harrison and Raonic have earned them, Tomic needs to grind out more tournaments from the bottom and less WC, Blake's WC should have gone to Karlovic.

DanaKz
03-16-2011, 07:28 AM
I agree with Sock's WC. Right now he seems to be second best US teenager (of course Kudla is higher in rankings but Sock leads in H2H vs Kudla).
Who else anyway? Donny Young?

viruzzz
03-16-2011, 07:38 AM
Personally, I'd give it to Karlovic.
But i'm a big Ivo fan, my opinion isn't fair.
Maybe Young... Or... Why not Dimitrov? I mean... IW gave one to Berankis.

Scotso
03-16-2011, 07:39 AM
I have no issue with any of them other than Tomic. I think there must be some money involved there. I'm sure Blake can still draw a crowd.

Topspindoctor
03-16-2011, 07:55 AM
Only Tomic deserves WC.

oranges
03-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Blake is a waste of WC, but as pointed out, he still probably draws some crowd, so the organizers perspective is different. Harrison and Raonic (why does he need one, isn't he qualified by the time of Miami entry list?) deserve one, Sock is a young hope, while I'm not a fan of tons of WCs for them, an odd one is fine and understandable. Tomic should for once earn his place in the MD.

Only Tomic deserves WC.

Based on what does he deserve it?

bleu_cheese
03-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Only Tomic deserves WC.

Just like he deserved it in the Dallas challenger?

Blackbriar
03-16-2011, 08:59 AM
What's the purpose of giving a WC to a player who has a direct acceptance? Only youngsters like Sock should be given one, seriously Blake is finished for high-level.

Ad Wim
03-16-2011, 09:01 AM
The ones for Blake and Tomic are a joke, the rest is okay.

meigui1990
03-16-2011, 09:11 AM
I think they should re-grant the WC orginally given to Tomic to Dr. Ivo.

henke007
03-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Blake is a joke why not give a WC to Ivo Karlovic the IW 1/4??!

Machiavelli
03-16-2011, 09:17 AM
You can think this or that, but in the end IMG does not give a shit about it...

SelvenluvJo
03-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Both Tomic and Blake passed their first round in Indian Wells,so they probably more deserved than some of the MD players.The list is okay for me.

Henry Chinaski
03-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Tomic should never get another WC for as long as he lives after his performance in Dallas. The twat.

Blackbriar
03-16-2011, 02:19 PM
I hope Donald Young will add another one to his collection.

viruzzz
03-16-2011, 03:57 PM
No challengers that week in North America.
That's bad for Ivo.

ZaZoo)
03-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Ivo should definitely get one.

RIboy
03-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Ivo will be lucky to get one for CH in the 2nd week of Miami :rolleyes:

Tommy_Vercetti
03-16-2011, 04:19 PM
If they are concerned about AA, then they should at least give it to the Donald over Blake. Personally, I don't understand why any tournaments give WC's to players from other countries, unless they are a Slam winner or former elite player coming off an injury or something. There are plenty of young American players that could benefit from the experience and cash. Blake's had enough free rides. He was getting WC's and Davis Cup selections for years when he wasn't even one of the top 10 ranked Americans.

jrm
03-16-2011, 04:20 PM
How many WCs did Blake get in last 15 months?

GlennMirnyi
03-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Another WC for Blake? He doesn't want to be there, why another WC?

WTF...

trojanstallion
03-16-2011, 05:06 PM
Tomic should never get another WC for as long as he lives after his performance in Dallas. The twat.

:worship:

Johnny Groove
03-16-2011, 05:12 PM
The wildcard to Jame$ Blake i$ a wi$e decision for the organizer$.

Raonic and Harrison surely deserve it. Jack Sock (which is a sex joke in and of itself) is a young prospect, sure, give him a shot.

Tomic is a talent, sure, but attitude wise he is a mug.

Yep. Send that punk to the qualies.

nadejda
03-16-2011, 05:25 PM
The wildcard to Jame$ Blake i$ a wi$e decision for the organizer$.

Raonic and Harrison surely deserve it. Jack Sock (which is a sex joke in and of itself) is a young prospect, sure, give him a shot.

Tomic is a talent, sure, but attitude wise he is a mug.

Yep. Send that punk to the qualies.

:lol::lol:

vn01
03-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Young guys deserve their WCs. Maybe Blake should not have received one, but we'll see how he'll perform ;)

star
03-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Old timers trying to come back from time off often receive wildcards out of respect and/or gratitude for the past. People come out to see James in the U.S. So there's an economic angle as well. Blake, even though I don't like him, has performed well for U.S. tennis. It is understandable for a U.S. tournament to give him a wild card.

There's tennis politics and that's what leads to wild cards I don't know what Tomic's connections are in the U.S., but apparently he has them. Sooner or later though, he's got to produce.

mrclyde
03-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Dimitrov deserves WC here too, like in Marseille. But I think he's not in shape - losses in 1st round recently. Harrison and Raonic 100%, but Tomic can't pass 1st-2nd round. Dimitrov may pass 1-2 rounds if he's not having tough draw. But the good thing is that he must find a way to get pass qual and play at least 4 matches here. This is for his physical preparation.

abraxas21
03-16-2011, 06:40 PM
what a mug tournament... seriously, mugs everywhere

and no dr. ivo? mugs, damn mugs..............

Pirata.
03-16-2011, 06:45 PM
I understand the decision to give Blake a WC. Like others have said, from an economical standpoint, it makes sense. People know James, they like James, they will come to see him play even though he is ranked like 2342 in the world right now.

Madrid gave a wild card to Moya earlier this year when he hadn't played for nearly a year :shrug:

abraxas21
03-16-2011, 06:48 PM
yeah, i also think giving a WC to blake is good.

a wildcard to tomic on the other hand... hell no.

DartMarcus
03-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Blake is the legend and deserves WC.
Raonic and Harrison are top 10 materials --> deserve WC
Sock is probably 2nd best american junior --> deserves WC
Tomic is an arrogant fucker --> does not deserve WC

viruzzz
03-16-2011, 08:22 PM
I agree Tomic is an arrogant fucker, but u have to admit it's a good economic desition.
I mean, so many people wanna watch Bernard's matches... People wanna know how this "Talent" plays.
So, I see Tomic WC similar to blake's

rocketassist
03-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Fuck Tomic.

Sapeod
03-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Harrison and Raonic deserve them, no doubt. Just look at their recent results.

Blake? No, he is done. You shouldn't be giving a 31 year old player wildcards...

Sock? Yeah, he deserves it. He hasn't gotten any in a while, so he should get a chance.

Tomic? No, how many wildcards has he gottten now? All of them wasted...
If he wants to get into the draw, he should try to qualify.

Young 8
03-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Blake = living legend

Sapeod
03-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Blake = living legend
How?
He's had a decent career and he has a massive forehand, but there's nothing special about him...

Young 8
03-16-2011, 09:27 PM
How?
He's had a decent career and he has a massive forehand, but there's nothing special about him...

Broken neck survivor

Sapeod
03-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Broken neck survivor
Fair enough, that's pretty amazing.

It doesn't make you a living legend though, there are probably tonnes of people in the world that have survived that...

navy75
03-16-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm STUNNED that Tomic got one. Word should have gotten out to the Miami organizers prior to this. As long as they realize that even with the WC Tomic will do absolutely nothing in terms of giving of his time to help the tournament out, and may or may not even try that particular day, then I guess the choice is on them.

navy75
03-16-2011, 10:04 PM
As others have said also, I absolutely agree that the WC given to Tomic should have gone to Karlovic.

Harrison and Raonic were obviously the only two no brainers of the bunch.

freeandlonely
03-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Blake should never play tennis, his tennis is disgusting.

Chip_s_m
03-17-2011, 12:13 AM
This tournament is owned by IMG. The USTA doesn't have any formal connection with it to my knowledge. The tourny usually give WCs to players whom they represent, regardless of whether they are American or not.

Blake, Harrison, and Tomic are all IMG clients, which explains their WCs, although Blake probably would've received one anyways since he can draw a crowd. Possibly Harrison too based off his results this week, although these were announced before Indian Wells began. Raonic is with SFX, but must've received one due to his results this year. I don't think Sock is pro yet. Maybe he's talking with IMG and they gave him this to encourage him to sign with them. He beat De Voest and Phau without any trouble in Dallas. He seems pretty good at rising to the occasion when challenged (unlike Young or Tomic). With a decent draw he could easily win a round, maybe two if he draws a weak seeded claycourter-type in R2.

Is Karlovic an IMG client? If not, they probably didn't feel it would benefit them or the tournament to give him one.

Fee
03-17-2011, 06:57 AM
You can think this or that, but in the end IMG does not give a shit about it...

This tournament is owned by IMG. The USTA doesn't have any formal connection with it to my knowledge. The tourny usually give WCs to players whom they represent, regardless of whether they are American or not.

Blake, Harrison, and Tomic are all IMG clients, which explains their WCs, although Blake probably would've received one anyways since he can draw a crowd. Possibly Harrison too based off his results this week, although these were announced before Indian Wells began. Raonic is with SFX, but must've received one due to his results this year. I don't think Sock is pro yet. Maybe he's talking with IMG and they gave him this to encourage him to sign with them. He beat De Voest and Phau without any trouble in Dallas. He seems pretty good at rising to the occasion when challenged (unlike Young or Tomic). With a decent draw he could easily win a round, maybe two if he draws a weak seeded claycourter-type in R2.

Is Karlovic an IMG client? If not, they probably didn't feel it would benefit them or the tournament to give him one.

Quoted for truth, again. But people don't want to hear it, Miami is owned by IMG and the decisions are made by IMG to suit the bottom line of IMG. That's all there is to it.

Ivo asked for a qualifying wildcard and did not get it. It would be nice of IMG to give him one based on his results in IW, but who knows if they will even consider that. He made a calculated decision not to use his protected ranking for Miami, he's gained so many points this week it may be okay in the end.

Wonder why DY hardly gets any wildcards anymore? He left IMG, that's why.

Tommy_Vercetti
03-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Blake probably would've received one anyways since he can draw a crowd.

Any mug can draw a crowd if they are hyped up and treated like an elite player. And given featured matches. It's a question of deserving.

Although I agree about IMG and wonder if Blake can expect WC's for the rest of his life.

156mphserve
03-17-2011, 11:07 PM
What's the purpose of giving a WC to a player who has a direct acceptance? Only youngsters like Sock should be given one, seriously Blake is finished for high-level.

no player who has direct acceptance has been given a WC:scratch:

If a player who has been given a WC manages to get a DE, his WC will go to someone else.

Now back on the thread question, I agree with them all except Tomic, he really doesn't deserve only. if he never got an IW one maybe I'd give him one, but definately not both. His WC should go to Karlovic.

that being said I think Raonic will manage DE and his WC will go to Ivo;)

Voo de Mar
03-18-2011, 12:28 AM
Blake's WC is a joke. He should play some Challengers instead of hyping around his two useless potential matches.

Sunset of Age
03-18-2011, 12:29 AM
Agree with most comments here that Tomic' WC should have gone to Karlovic. Alas, IMG rulez ze world.