IW R3: (WC) Ryan Harrison def. (WC) Milos Raonic 7-6(1) 4-6 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

IW R3: (WC) Ryan Harrison def. (WC) Milos Raonic 7-6(1) 4-6 6-4

viruzzz
03-16-2011, 01:38 AM
Kinda expected.
All the american people are behind Harrison.
The crowd of the match is an important factor for a youngster.
And the same for his rival.

It's difficult for Milos to have the crowd in Harrison's side.

viruzzz
03-16-2011, 01:39 AM
WTF?!?!? The match, didn't end yet... F***ck the livescore >_<

Edit: Kids, don't use livescores, or you'll end screwed like Viruzzz

oranges
03-16-2011, 01:39 AM
Premature ejaculation much?

finishingmove
03-16-2011, 01:41 AM
hi

jonas
03-16-2011, 01:42 AM
It's not over you c***.

Kworb
Amazing amazing match. Awesome quality by both and highly entertaining courageous and varied play at all times. Absolutely well deserved victory. The future of tennis. :worship: Ryan and Milos :worship:

Good luck against Roger :bounce:

Young 8
Impressive stuff

:worship:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DoT5_2KOwTQ/TVmBqO425iI/AAAAAAAAARU/mVdnzCeNE3U/s1600/milos+raonic.jpeg

nsidhan
Awesome play by Ryan. This guy is good. What return of serves! :worship:

jonas
03-16-2011, 01:43 AM

Just blame the live score. You took a shot and failed. Admit it.

Stronger
Was scary at the end there. I thought his inexperience would get the best of him, but a great win for Ryan.

asmazif
Fun stuff! Harrison played a good match.

Mr. Butterfly
03-16-2011, 01:44 AM
Pure class from the American hero, well deserved victory... He punished poor Milos today... Glorious Spartan warrior this Harrison... Crowd loved him!

asmazif
03-16-2011, 01:44 AM
great stats as well

KoOlMaNsEaN
03-16-2011, 01:45 AM
I've never seen someone attack Milos' serve like Ryan today :eek:

Ryan's return > Milos' return

that was the major difference

orangehat
honestly speaking i like harrison's game a lot better than like 90% of the tour right now.

Shirogane
what a match

JanKowalski
Fed approves of this result.

jonas
Awesome stuff. A mental giant this young american. He gained alot of new fans today. I'm sure one of them. :hatoff:

viruzzz
To everyone who said "Match not over", please read the 2nd post.
Don't be a blind idiot, please.

habibko
:banana: :bounce: :banana: :bounce: :banana:

what a hero! great match and well deserved victory, the better, more enjoyable to watch player won, the future of tennis is the winner :worship:

navy75
Match of the week thus far. Milos is already the most favoured player on here, so I'm sure that the excuses will pour in. That said, those thinking that Milos was going to win in an easy two sets had either never seen Harrison play, are already beyond delusional fanboys for life, or are on whatever Charlie Sheen is smoking. :lol:

SelvenluvJo
03-16-2011, 01:46 AM
Ryan, AMAZING!:worship:

Fernando,maybe next time you should let Ryan teach how to return serve.:lol:

Roddickominator
Great match. Couldn't believe how well Harrison was returning the big Raonic serve at times. And courageous play all around by both players. Really impressed with Harrison this match.

Mr. Butterfly
Harrison will school the Swiss boy...

Pirata.
03-16-2011, 01:47 AM
US Open Final 2015: Milos Raonic (CAN)[1] vs Ryan Harrison (USA)[2]

Book it ;)

oranges
Now it's over :lol:

Big win and a great run for the young gun :yeah: Took some time to close it out, but also a great recovery after losing the 2nd set. This kid deffo has potential and a good mentality too.

navy75
Harrison still has some physical maturing to undergo, but his ability to read Raonic's serve was just incredible. That is natural born instinctual talent that cannot be coached.

chenx15
this was a fantastic match from two amazing youngsters. footwork won over the big server today. nice to see milos fighting back. he wasted that first game though. all in all amazing match

v-money
Entertaining match. I've seen Harrison in several challengers level matches last year and this was much much better. Glad he closed it out or else this forum would have exploded calling him a chocker.

fast_clay
Fed approves of this result.

i'm inclined to agree... and wanted milos to win for the reason that he'd do more damage to fed...

but, was hoping for harrison here because the quicker these young attackers get to the top of the game the better, and milos is already there... so...

yeah... anyways... a quality arm wrestle in a great atmosphere...

Arkulari
03-16-2011, 01:48 AM
Amazing match, the best one of today, no doubt.

Ryan was really gutsy and went for his shots, Milos wasn't bad either, both guys gave as good as they got and the crowd was definitely a decisive factor in here.

Better ROS and baseline game won :yeah:

STATS :D

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1885/harrisonraoniciw11.jpg (http://img819.imageshack.us/i/harrisonraoniciw11.jpg/)

Voo de Mar
I enjoyed this match throughout, quite good quality from the start and exceptional dramaturgy for this scoreline :yeah: I'm not surprised Harrison overreacted a bit this victory, losing here from three match points up in two service games + his triple match point against Stakhovsky during the last US Open would be too much for him to handle mentally in a longer perspective.

Pirata.

:haha:

finishingmove
great stuff

harrison could be the real deal, but he's been too inconsistent so far.

nsidhan
03-16-2011, 01:49 AM
Yep, Ryan hit the ball very cleanly from both ends. But his ROS was best IMO.

navy75
03-16-2011, 01:49 AM
Harrison got the better of Raonic in juniors and the better of Raonic today, and it will be interesting to see how this rivalry develops. Harrison could be to Raonic what Nalbandian was to Federer for the 1st half of Federer's career. I think it is safe to say that these two have many more matches to play against one another barring injury.

Ackms421
03-16-2011, 01:50 AM
Ryan Harrison is like Agassi with 75-85% of Sampras' volleys and aggression. A dangerous combination. I am a fan. It looks like he's ready to do ATP level full time. Hopefully this year will be his last doing challengers. Optimistically speaking, he could be seeded by the USO. I can't WAIT to see him play Federer. It's intriguing.

nsidhan
Will be interesting with Ryan having Higueras as a coach and playing Fed tomorrow ;). Higueras should bring out the FO'08 final tactics for Ryan ;).

fast_clay

it's disappointing that you failed here... i felt deep down that you were a great poster...

i am sorry this has happened to you... but you should not have done that...

i cannot see your posts the same as i once did...

a great pity... a shame..

Topspindoctor
i'm inclined to agree... and wanted milos to win for the reason that he'd do more damage to fed...

but, was hoping for harrison here because the quicker these young attackers get to the top of the game the better, and milos is already there... so...

yeah... anyways... a quality arm wrestle in a great atmosphere...

I don't think so. Olderer has more problems with players who can rally. All-serve player like Raonic would be exposed badly by Olderer's groundstrokes. I doubt he'd win a single point on his serve.

Mr. Oracle
poor milos.

locyka19
Before the match I wrote here that Ryan has very good returns.Evrybody called mea clown etc. Now look at his returns! C'mon Ryan!!!

gulzhan
03-16-2011, 01:51 AM
Pity. I wanted to see Fed play against Raonic.

chenx15
milos went trigger happy in the third set. he should have just done pushing since he can't find his range. when he was a pusher harrison imploded. i really like raonic but a good match is a good match and the finesse and mental game of harrison was quite impressive. i have to say though that he has that american/roddick swagger that everyone hates.

tennisgolfguru
Count me as one who thought Harrison had no chance in this match - thrilled to have been wrong on that count - fortune favours the brave - well played - I had seen Harrison play at the US Open but he is gettig better and better. Really exposed Raonic's weaknesses. Federer will kill him in the next round but that's OK ...

Have we just witnessed the next generation of players?

navy75
03-16-2011, 01:52 AM
By the way, great job by the Tennis Channel in deciding to cover Wozniacki-Kleybanova in front of 50 fans rather than cover the first pro match between Harrison-Raonic in front of a packed house. The Tennis Channel has some real geniuses working for them.

Swim4life227
03-16-2011, 01:53 AM
Ugh Raonic :( I hope he doesn't get discouraged by this loss. With the American media, Harrison is going to steal all of Raonic's thunder too knowing how shamelessly biased they are. They are going to be acting like it was Harrison who made the monumental breakthrough even though it's been Raonic that's done the heavy lifting.

I also really wanted a Raonic/Fed match. It would have been like a meeting of the current champion versus the future (sort of like the first times Sampras and Fed faced off). Harrison kind of ruined it and I don't see him having a chance.

Where was this serve from Harrison all week? He was holding serve in his previous matches like a WTA #1 would. That's the main reason I figured Raonic would own him today.

Mungo
03-16-2011, 01:54 AM
Harrison mental midget, but he outplayed Raonic. His forehand is a clon of Robredo's!

chenx15
03-16-2011, 01:54 AM
By the way, great job by the Tennis Channel in deciding to cover Wozniacki-Kleybanova in front of 50 fans rather than cover the first pro match between Harrison-Raonic in front of a packed house. The Tennis Channel has some real geniuses working for them.

now that's hhhhhhhiiiiiiiillllllllllarious!!!

sagroove
03-16-2011, 01:55 AM

The Tennis Channel is nothing short of an EPIC FAILURE for not showing the third set LIVE.

Elbarto
it's the official beginning of the Harrison bandwagon ( especially in US media ),

but it's probably the best match of the tournament, high quality match, great variety in the game, great intensity

locyka19
Count me as one who thought Harrison had no chance in this match - thrilled to have been wrong on that count - fortune favours the brave - well played - I had seen Harrison play at the US Open but he is gettig better and better. Really exposed Raonic's weaknesses. Federer will kill him in the next round but that's OK ...

Have we just witnessed the next generation of players?

Obviously both have to improve in some areas, but I think this was the best match so far in IW this year.

v-money
03-16-2011, 01:56 AM

They thought Sexniacki was gonna bring good ratings.

GlennMirnyi
Guy hit like 10 winners in a match and won. :rolleyes:

Milos should've won this match in 2. Couldn't make his superiority work in the TB and then...

oranges
Ugh Raonic :( I hope he doesn't get discouraged by this loss. With the American media, Harrison is going to steal all of Raonic's thunder too knowing how shamelessly biased they are. They are going to be acting like it was Harrison who made the monumental breakthrough even though it's been Raonic that's done the heavy lifting.

What on earth are you on about? :lol: How is he going to steal his thunder and how has Raonic been doing heavy lifting for anyone but himself, just as Harrison did today. Take a chill pill.

Mungo
03-16-2011, 01:57 AM

I also really wanted a Raonic/Fed match. It would have been like a meeting of the current champion versus the future (sort of like the first times Sampras and Fed faced off). Harrison kind of ruined it and I don't see him having a chance.

Where was this serve from Harrison all week? He was holding serve in his previous matches like a WTA #1 would. That's the main reason I figured Raonic would own him today.

Not really. Former champion vs Maybe a future champion.

fast_clay
03-16-2011, 01:57 AM
I don't think so. Olderer has more problems with players who can rally. All-serve player like Raonic would be exposed badly by Olderer's groundstrokes. I doubt he'd win a single point on his serve.

raonic is not all serve... can spray a few, but thats attacking tennis, not moonballing.... likewise he can opt to get miserly and play %.... open your eyes...

and anyone with that service game can get to 4-4 all with the old man... and anything can happen from there.... you'd have to favour fed vs raonic from there... that said, going by raonic's composure, he'd sure as shit do better than the bulk of fed's top 10 opponents in the last 8 years...

Voo de Mar
03-16-2011, 01:58 AM
Anyway good tournament for Raonic, has some chances to be seeded in Miami :yeah: Harrison's posture reminds me of Wawrinka (advanced ass :secret:) but his body motion between the points of Agassi, maybe because Harrison has curvy legs, anyone has noticed it too?

Topspindoctor

The Wozz is eye candy :rocker2: Who wants to watch actual tennis?

AgassiFan588

Milos should've won this match in 2. Couldn't make his superiority work in the TB and then...

Harrison had 38 winners you idiot, one more than Milos. :rolleyes:

Stronger

38 =/= 10. :rolleyes:

Nice trolling.

sagroove
03-16-2011, 01:59 AM
What on earth are you on about? :lol: How is he going to steal his thunder and how has Raonic been doing heavy lifting for anyone but himself, just as Harrison did today. Take a chill pill.

Exactly why cant people give Harrison a break?? He is the future of American tennis and as he matures, he will become a great champion. My god he's only 18, wtf???

v-money

38 winners. Raonic loosing in 2 seemed much more likely by the way the match was going.

finishingmove
Harrison mental midget, but he outplayed Raonic. His forehand is a clon of Robredo's!

wouldn't call him a mental midget

the forehand is somewhat like robredo's, yeah. very steady, though still lacking some power.

djb84xi
I'm very impressed with Harrison. He competed so well out there, and definitely deserved the victory. Credit to Raonic for keeping this one real close. Milos played great too, but he was simply outplayed. I see this as a necessary learning experience for him, a good one at that. These two played a great match and it was nice to finally see a match on the men's side that was very competitive. Most of what I've seen so far, have been blowouts and meltdowns.

Good luck to Ryan against Fed. He will probably lose, but I have no doubt he'll compete well. Better luck next time Milos!!! :)

fast_clay
03-16-2011, 02:01 AM

wtf...? paranoid much...? you need to tone that down a bit of the men in the white truck will be paying a visit there directly...

and turn the t.v. sometimes you silly yank... might not get so subliminally mindshagged and start worrying about shit that really doesnt matter...

djb84xi
03-16-2011, 02:01 AM
Anyway good tournament for Raonic, has some chances to be seeded in Miami :yeah: Harrison's posture reminds me of Wawrinka (advanced ass :secret:) but his body motion between the points of Agassi, maybe because Harrison has curvy legs, anyone has noticed it too?

I did, and for some reason, something about his approach and his game reminds me of Agassi.

navy75
03-16-2011, 02:02 AM

Are you serious??? The same American media that has showed exactly ZERO live minutes of his matches (including today's match). The majority of the crowd was even for Raonic today.

I've watched tennis on three continents, and America is by far the most self-loathing nation I've ever seen. Obviously you are carrying the flag in that department, as it would be unfathomable elsewhere to even consider apologizing if the media even remotely hypes up a kid who makes it the 4th round of a Master's Series at that age.

tennizen
03-16-2011, 02:03 AM
I thought Harrison looks like Wawrinka too:lol:

Still on the Raonic bandwagon more than Harrison's.

My other post didn't get through:(

navy75
You know what, Swin4life is exactly right. I'd like to apologize to any posters if the American media (who generally doesn't even talk about tennis at all) says even one nice thing about Harrison now. What a clown!!! :lol:

moon language
Good thing for Harrison that he pulled this one out. This should give him some extra confidence the next time he's trying to close out a big match. You could tell how badly he wanted the win as he started to get a little reckless trying to close it out. Next time he'll be more composed.

GlennMirnyi
03-16-2011, 02:05 AM
Harrison had 38 winners you idiot, one more than Milos. :rolleyes:

How many of them from the back? 10 at most.

What to expect from a fan of Crackassi the doper and drug addict. :rolleyes:

fast_clay
03-16-2011, 02:06 AM
but his body motion between the points of Agassi, maybe because Harrison has curvy legs, anyone has noticed it too?

i must admit that yes, i have noticed tiny flashes of agassi's pigeon-toed gait at point end

AgassiFan588
03-16-2011, 02:07 AM

What to expect from a fan of Crackassi the doper and drug addict. :rolleyes:

Huh? Raonic is the one with 17 aces/37 winners and Harrison only had 11 aces out of his 38 winners. I'm almost sure he had more than 10 winners from the back.

Stronger
As opposed to what? Net winners? Serving winners? How shameful of Harrison?

Calidreth
Agassi don't bother with Glenn, he's a bit out of touch with reality.

GlennMirnyi
03-16-2011, 02:09 AM
Huh? Raonic is the one with 17 aces/37 winners and Harrison only had 11 aces out of his 38 winners. I'm almost sure he had more than 10 winners from the back.

Moron.

Show you haven't watched the match. That was the exact stat as told by the broadcasters.

Keep offending me and worshipping a drug addict. :worship:

As opposed to what? Net winners? Serving winners? How shameful of Harrison?

You suck as a troll. What an idiot.

What I'm saying is that Harrison can't hit a winner from the back to save his life. No power.

oranges
03-16-2011, 02:09 AM

Hitting a volley has become a bad thing :lol: Don't be a sore loser like some tard. Kid has a nice enough game and he was outplaying Milos more often than not from all over the court.

ibreak4coffee
03-16-2011, 02:10 AM

Exactly.

Milos looked exhausted from all the tennis these past 6 weeks, but well done Ryan. He was on top of Milos' serve from the beginning and made him work far harder than Milos has had to work in weeks.

Question - now that Ryan has beaten Milos, does that mean he knows how to play fake tennis :haha:

Cat9
03-16-2011, 02:10 AM
Kinda expected.
All the american people are behind Harrison.
The crowd of the match is an important factor for a youngster.
And the same for his rival. It's difficult for Milos to have the crowd in Harrison's side.

Absolutely not true. At times I was wondering what country they were in. The crowd was repeatedly near silent when Harrison won important points. Apparently every Canadian in the SW got tickets to the match. The crowd was behind Raonic, not Harrison.

Swim4life227
03-16-2011, 02:11 AM

I guess you don't have to sit through ESPN then during slams. They go on and on about any little American success story. At the USO, you would have thought Harrison had a Ginepri type run to the SFs by the way they carried on and on about him last year. For example, they act like Andy Roddick has a chance EVERY slam even though it's been like 8 years now since he's won. They also are really annoying about Querrey and literally show all of his matches live and yet they still don't get he doesn't deliver in slams. Sorry about my ranting, but I really hate the American media and I am American.

Ajk822
Show you haven't watched the match. That was the exact stat as told by the broadcasters.

Keep offending me and worshipping a drug addict. :worship:

What I'm saying is that Harrison can't hit a winner from the back to save his life. No power.

You're the kind of person who thinks all people who've been convicted of any crime should be forced into hard labor for the rest of their life aren't you?

He's a FORMER drug addict. There's a big difference.

GlennMirnyi
Agassi don't bother with Glenn, he's a bit out of touch with reality.

Who the f*** are you to tell me that?

Next thing you'll tell me Harrison is the next Safin. :haha:

habibko

he has been to the net 25 times and won more than half of them, hit a great volley after a courageous approach shot to bring the last match point, so he hit many from the net too, I thought you were a fan of net play?

GlennMirnyi
You're the kind of person who thinks all people who've been convicted of any crime should be forced into hard labor for the rest of their life aren't you?

He's a FORMER drug addict. There's a big difference.

He CHEATED.

Once a cheater, always a cheater.

Deivid23
03-16-2011, 02:12 AM
Entertaining one, well done to both kids

swisht4u
03-16-2011, 02:12 AM
Roanic's first serve speed was less than 120 mph at times, nowhere near his usual speed.
At times he wasn't reaching for some balls so the back is probably still not right.

Harrison played very well but showed some nerves at closing the match out.
He's only 18 so he has time to get that part figured out.

Geo
03-16-2011, 02:13 AM
nice match from 2 up and coming talents! :bigclap: I hope they continue to knock out some of the dull older players.

locyka19
I've been a fan of Ryan for a long time, but before the match I was pretty sure that it will bea tight match but Raonic will win it. Good luck Ryan!

GlennMirnyi
he has been to the net 25 times and won more than half of them, hit a great volley after a courageous approach shot to bring the last match point, so he hit many from the net too, I thought you were a fan of net play?

I am but from the back he's a pusher Boredo-style. I don't get that.

Deivid23
03-16-2011, 02:14 AM

Everyone and their mothers, basically

orangehat
03-16-2011, 02:16 AM
In my book from an aesthetic/gameplay point of view, 1 volley winner = 2 groundstroke winners.

Glenn don't be ridiculous here, Harrison hit more than a few good volleys. You always complain about the baseliners and now you complain Harrison has few baseline winners?

Stronger
03-16-2011, 02:17 AM

I'm starting to think you weren't watching the match now. A pusher? Really?

:lol:

habibko
03-16-2011, 02:18 AM

yeah that's a weakness now but he's only 18, he'll be more powerful in a few years, what's more important is that he has an aggressive mentality and willing to charge the net even when the pressure is on, at such a young age he's already got a great game to watch and the mentality to back it up.

oranges
03-16-2011, 02:20 AM
I guess you don't have to sit through ESPN then during slams. They go on and on about any little American success story. At the USO, you would have thought Harrison had a Ginepri type run to the SFs by the way they carried on and on about him last year. For example, they act like Andy Roddick has a chance EVERY slam even though it's been like 8 years now since he's won. They also are really annoying about Querrey and literally show all of his matches live and yet they still don't get he doesn't deliver in slams. Sorry about my ranting, but I really hate the American media and I am American.

Well, thankfully, we live in the age of broadband internet and you're free to watch coverage anywhere else or read news stories or whatever else. Not sure what you expect. Croatian media will pay far more attention to successes of domestic players too. It's what their audience is interested in more. As long as it's not completely over the top and disregarding anything and anyone else with equal or better success, it's frankly not something to get your panties in a bunch over. At least I am not under the impression he's overhyped to ridiculous levels. From my point of view, he's received far less attention than either Tomic or Dimitrov. Raonic has been in the spotlight himself and deservedly so.

But most of all, I was completely befuddled by the heavy lifting thing. :lol: Still odn't get it.

onewoman74
03-16-2011, 02:23 AM

I was pissed because I have TTC and I couldn't believe they were not showing it live. This was a brilliant match and TTC chooses a lame WTA match...for fuck's sake!! Then when Harrison is serving for the match, TTC picks up the match in the 2nd set. :rolleyes:

Common sense people!!!

tennishero
03-16-2011, 02:24 AM
Victory

hyperren
03-16-2011, 02:27 AM
No more games for Milos. :sad:

GugaF1
03-16-2011, 02:28 AM

You didnt even watched the match man. Is very obvious, it was one of the most agressive matches have seen in a while with plenty of volleys, return and come in, and winners from the back. A uninformed troll, how sad. Watch the match to comment on next time.

Same thing with the thread starter opening a thread for a match he was seeing on the SB? what is the deal with people coming to a fucking opinions forum to give the opinion on something they didnt even watch and this seems to be the habbit of 70% os MTF. WTF ?

Swim4life227
03-16-2011, 02:30 AM
Well, thankfully, we live in the age of broadband internet and you're free to watch coverage anywhere else or read news stories or whatever else. Not sure what you expect. Croatian media will pay far more attention to successes of domestic players too. It's what their audience is interested in more. As long as it's not completely over the top and disregarding anything and anyone else with equal or better success, it's frankly not something to get your panties in a bunch over. At least I am not under the impression he's overhyped to ridiculous levels. From my point of view, he's received far less attention than either Tomic or Dimitrov. Raonic has been in the spotlight himself and deservedly so.

But most of all, I was completely befuddled by the heavy lifting thing. :lol: Still odn't get it.

Well with the way the slams fall, I have to DVR a lot. ESPN is really the only channel that carries it (I don't get TC year round, but trust me that is even worse!). Even if I had the options to watch streams on the internet, they aren't as good as quality as the TV ones.

By heavy lifting, I mean it's Raonic that has made all the noise in the tennis world. Make the R16 of a slam after going through qualifying is something that hasn't been done on the men's side in forever. I just feel knowing ESPN they are going to treat Harrison as the one having the breakthrough of the youngsters because he beat Raonic.

AgassiFan588
03-16-2011, 02:34 AM
Both are the future of the game. This is good for the game.

Cat9
03-16-2011, 02:37 AM
Milos looked exhausted from all the tennis these past 6 weeks

Yes, clearly that's why Ryan won...old man Milos was tired:devil:

Sorry about my ranting, but I really hate the American media and I am American.

Then move to another country...only you'd better find one that doesn't have tennis players because every country hypes their own. Every one. And the US, believe it or not, is not as bad as some.

Well done, Ryan. Worried he was going to blow it at the end there but he pulled through. All for the privilege of getting a proper beat down from Roger. lol. But, hopefully, he'll take it like a man and win a few games.

myrt
03-16-2011, 02:37 AM
I was pissed because I have TTC and I couldn't believe they were not showing it live. This was a brilliant match and TTC chooses a lame WTA match...for fuck's sake!! Then when Harrison is serving for the match, TTC picks up the match in the 2nd set. :rolleyes:

Common sense people!!!

Do the women bring in better ratings? I too wonder why they continue to show matches like Sharapova'shriek fest when Delpo and Dolgopolov were playing an exciting match. Makes me so grateful for livestream.

GlennMirnyi
03-16-2011, 02:38 AM
I'm starting to think you weren't watching the match now. A pusher? Really?

:lol:

Pusher.

yeah that's a weakness now but he's only 18, he'll be more powerful in a few years, what's more important is that he has an aggressive mentality and willing to charge the net even when the pressure is on, at such a young age he's already got a great game to watch and the mentality to back it up.

I don't think so.

With age he'll become even more of a pusher.

Safin had huge power since his first appearance on tour.

Swim4life227
03-16-2011, 02:42 AM
Then move to another country...only you'd better find one that doesn't have tennis players because every country hypes their own. Every one. And the US, believe it or not, is not as bad as some.

Why the hell should I move to another country? Is it because I am unwilling to be spoon fed biased journalism like a sheep? Sorry, I am not going to turn a blind eye and act like everything American is just the best ever.

fast_clay
03-16-2011, 02:46 AM
:lol: someone get samjones in here...

Corey Feldman
03-16-2011, 02:49 AM
Premature ejaculation much?:lol:

tennisgolfguru
03-16-2011, 02:50 AM
Do the women bring in better ratings? I too wonder why they continue to show matches like Sharapova'shriek fest when Delpo and Dolgopolov were playing an exciting match. Makes me so grateful for livestream.

It's a license thing - TTC has first rights to the WTA but not to the ATP - that's why the programming is what it is - take it up with ESPN ...

Stronger
03-16-2011, 02:50 AM
Why the hell should I move to another country? Is it because I am unwilling to be spoon fed biased journalism like a sheep? Sorry, I am not going to turn a blind eye and act like everything American is just the best ever.

Honestly, suck it up.

The media from every country has their favorites. It's what appeals the most to their local readers. It's not a quality specific to the American press. Not at all. Australia has Tomic. UK had Henman before and Murray now. On the women's side, I would be remiss not to mention the media chaos that often followed India's Sania Mirza at her peak. And it's not just in tennis, either. It's something we all have to deal with.

It's a waste of time to become so concerned. Especially when there has hardly been a whisper about Ryan Harrison. What's even funnier is outside of the Grand Slam tournaments, there is hardly a peep even heard about tennis in mainstream American media. I don't get the conern at all.

canuckfan
03-16-2011, 02:52 AM
Harrison played really well. Milos played solid, although his serve is nowhere near as good as it was the last few weeks. He also has been playing less agressive this week.

It might be a "good loss" for him. I don't think he would have beaten Roger so he doesn't lose that much point. It also diminishes the hype and put the spotlight on another youngster.

tangerine_dream
03-16-2011, 02:52 AM
Ryan :worship: By far the most exciting prospect the US has had in a long time, since Roddick.

I missed the end of this match but boy am I loving that it's been the Americans to rain on the Raonic hype, haha. http://smilies.blazemint.com/s/contrib/ruinkai/biglaugha.gif He ate up Raonic's serve like a tasty snack :toothy:

Can you go another round, Ryan? Looking forward to seeing what else he can do. :)

navy75
03-16-2011, 03:05 AM

Grow up kiddo. An 18 year old with tremendous potential wins a great match, and you are angry that the media might even remotely praise him. And, as many have already said, you would HATE living in many other parts of the world.

If you are a bitter, ignorant, immature hater in America, chances are you'd be a bitter, ignorant, immature hater in any other country that you reside as well. Get the hell off of MTF if your first few posts are devoted to politics and raving like a madman.

As for Harrison, the kid can really play, and is still far from reaching his physical peak. It will be interesting to see what he does in regards to coaching in the future.

onewoman74
03-16-2011, 03:09 AM

Seriously, I don't what I would do w/o streaming tennis.

I couldn't tell you if the females bring in more ratings OR if TTC has contractual obligations to show WTA matches. When you have amazing matches being played like Harrison/Raonic or Delpo/Dolgo then it should be a no brainer.

SMH...:(

DanaKz
03-16-2011, 03:10 AM
Ys Yes Yes Yes!!!! :woohoo: :bounce:

onewoman74
03-16-2011, 03:13 AM

It's a license thing - TTC has first rights to the WTA but not to the ATP - that's why the programming is what it is - take it up with ESPN ...

But ESPN is not showing matches until Friday. So it wouldn't have made a difference if they showed it live today. It's just crazy!

Mungo
03-16-2011, 03:14 AM
The problem with these young american guns is that, well...they have to play outside America

FlameOn
03-16-2011, 03:22 AM
Well done Ryan!! :yeah:

Cat9
03-16-2011, 03:24 AM

EVERY country hypes their own players-if they have them. And, journalistic standards? From tennis commentators? Really? Really?:drink:Tip: find a country that loves tennis but doesn't have any players in the top 200 so you can watch tennis in blissful unbiased joy, free from spoon feeding and turning blind eyes-standing alone and strong in the notion that every thing American isn't awesome as the rest of the US goes sheep-like onto the Ryan Harrison bandwagon..truth to power, girl, truth to power!

fast_clay
03-16-2011, 03:29 AM
As for Harrison, the kid can really play, and is still far from reaching his physical peak. It will be interesting to see what he does in regards to coaching in the future.

choice #1: jason stoltenberg...

a guy like roche would be better off with harrison than hewitt... harrison doesnt have a mental block about coming forward... and everyone knows what he did with a kick serving athlete with no forehand, no backhand, a good slice and solid volleys...

oranges
03-16-2011, 03:32 AM
By heavy lifting, I mean it's Raonic that has made all the noise in the tennis world. Make the R16 of a slam after going through qualifying is something that hasn't been done on the men's side in forever. I just feel knowing ESPN they are going to treat Harrison as the one having the breakthrough of the youngsters because he beat Raonic.

Of the top of my head, Cilic did it as 18 year old, beating last year's finalist in the process. It's only a few years back ;) Received far less attention for it than Raonic did too. There might be others. Not sure if Gulbis was a qualifier, but it's likely and it was QF. Just for some perspective.

IMO Harrison deserved some spotlight for this run :shrug:

Ashlar77
03-16-2011, 03:41 AM
Unexpected loss for Milos :sad: Good luck in Miami, rest up!

aussie_fan
03-16-2011, 03:41 AM
Great match from Harrison, really showing the talent the kid has got. Looking forward to many battles between these two over the coming years, both have big games.

Filo V.
03-16-2011, 03:44 AM
Definitely the best match of a pretty terrible day of tennis! Ryan choked a bit but got it done in the end. You have to like Ryan's game, he goes for it when his back is against the wall, I love that mentality. He's got a lot of A-Rod qualities but he's got more overall talent, and A-Rod has been top 10 for over a decade, so you have to like Ryan's chances to be a major factor at the top of the game, and that time could be approaching very fast.

The Freak
03-16-2011, 04:11 AM
Ryan Harrison you BEAST

Snowwy
03-16-2011, 04:17 AM
Milos didn't look right, but great job by Ryan to take advantage, I didn't expect him to.

atennisfan
03-16-2011, 04:41 AM
Sure, Ryan does not have big weapons, but because of his attitude (go for shots and tireless retriever), I like his chances for the next couple of years. My prediction is top 20 in 2013 at the latest.

jcempire
03-16-2011, 04:43 AM
Go Ryan.............Great JOB

shiaben
03-16-2011, 04:52 AM
Happy to see David slay the Goliath. Federer vs Harrison should be a good one. Perhaps Federer will go a bit easy on him ;)

tribalfusion
03-16-2011, 05:09 AM
Very entertaining match and I can't possibly imagine what there could be to complain about given the age of the players and the promise and fight both showed but then this is MTF.

Harrison has not been hyped much that I have seen and regardless, he is a very entertaining player whom I will enjoy watching in the future along with Raonic.

Sonja1989
03-16-2011, 05:36 AM
Ryan :worship:
Great stuff!!!

star
03-16-2011, 05:48 AM
Very entertaining match and I can't possibly imagine what there could be to complain about given the age of the players and the promise and fight both showed but then this is MTF.

Harrison has not been hyped much that I have seen and regardless, he is a very entertaining player whom I will enjoy watching in the future along with Raonic.

I hadn't really seen him before this tournament, and I also thought he was entertaining. He was a lot more fun in his match on Sunday, but it was a different kind of opponent.

I like it that his instinct when in trouble is to come forward. It's his best play. Just like Raonic's best play when he's in trouble is to bomb in a serve. I don't know if Harrison could withstand Raonic serving at full tilt. He wasn't serving well in this match -- not as well as he can serve, that is.

star
03-16-2011, 05:54 AM
Absolutely not true. At times I was wondering what country they were in. The crowd was repeatedly near silent when Harrison won important points. Apparently every Canadian in the SW got tickets to the match. The crowd was behind Raonic, not Harrison.

Where were you watching the match???? :confused:

I was there and the crowd was solidly behind Harrison. They were screaming for him as if it was a Davis Cup match against Canada. Now it was Canada, and we like Canada, and if Raonic had not been playing a U.S. kid, the crowd would have been behind him all the way. But this crowd was mostly U.S., and the crowd was for Harrison. It was more for Harrison than the crowd was for Fish on Sunday. That cheering was more evenly divided. We were ready for them this time. :lol: :lol: :p

The crowd was groaning when Harrison lost his serve and exploded with joy when he won.

There were lots of Canadians there because bunches of them winter in the area. Snowbirds.

tnosugar
03-16-2011, 05:58 AM
Before the match I wrote here that Ryan has very good returns.Evrybody called mea clown etc. Now look at his returns! C'mon Ryan!!!

not only that. those same people will probably claim they said it first :devil:

tnosugar
03-16-2011, 06:03 AM
Of the top of my head, Cilic did it as 18 year old, beating last year's finalist in the process. It's only a few years back ;) Received far less attention for it than Raonic did too. There might be others. Not sure if Gulbis was a qualifier, but it's likely and it was QF. Just for some perspective.

IMO Harrison deserved some spotlight for this run :shrug:

good point. which is why all this hype is a bit premature. Cilic today does not look like the promise of a few years ago. There are at least two more quantum leaps these two players have to make in most aspects of their game to be in the top.

star
03-16-2011, 06:10 AM
We have to see how both players grow and develop. There's so much unknown about both of them. It's fun to see young new players come along and always the future looks bright, but who knows what lies in store for them really.

Baggy and Tsonga were bright shining lights on the tennis horizon, and they have both had rough roads and haven't fulfilled the promise that some saw in them. We will just have to wait and see what happens with Harrison and Raonic too.

oranges
03-16-2011, 07:07 AM
good point. which is why all this hype is a bit premature. Cilic today does not look like the promise of a few years ago. There are at least two more quantum leaps these two players have to make in most aspects of their game to be in the top.

Well, since Harrison luckily doesn't have Forehander/Fed's Mate type of hypers, who predict domination of the tour, I don't know about that. Slam semis, top 10 and wins over practically every top player by 21 sounds awfully nice and promising (and significantly better than Gulbis has done:(). Not sure anyone's hyping them for anything more than that right now, not that that is a given either. Agree about quantum leaps, but these kind of experiences so early are pure gold for the future.

DanaKz
03-16-2011, 07:16 AM
Well, since Harrison luckily doesn't have Forehander/Fed's Mate type of hypers, who predict domination of the tour

Amen for this brother, let's hope hypers didn't watch this match http://yoursmileys.ru/tsmile/religion/t0820.gif

Ilovetheblues_86
03-16-2011, 07:25 AM
The power of the mighty United States of America is back. :inlove:

Cat9
03-16-2011, 07:55 AM
There were lots of Canadians there because bunches of them winter in the area. Snowbirds.

Believe me, I know, I'm from the Southwest. I watched online in the 2nd and the third on tv and, I kid you not, at one point I thought there was a sound problem-funny I could hear the ball just fine though-because the crowd was so subdued for Harrison. When Ryan got his BP at the beginning of the 3rd, there was just very low key reaction-like a smattering of applause. Barely better when he broke. And, were much louder when Raonic got his BP, later. They got better at the end of the third but since you were actually there, I'll defer to your word on the crowd and them being solidly behind Ryan.

Lee
03-16-2011, 08:21 AM

I ran into a few yesterday on stadium 2. But they are not snowbirds. They come for the tournament. For Canadians living around the west coast, it's not much difference between travelling to Toronto/Montreal and Indian Wells, distance-wise.

Blackbriar
03-16-2011, 08:49 AM
first disappointment of a very long serie.

Orka_n
03-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Can't believe I couldn't watch this match :bigcry: I hope someone uploads it on yt.

Guy Haines
03-16-2011, 09:07 AM
I was at this match and find it amazing that people are assuming Raonic would challenge Federer more than Harrison, and that Raonic is an inherently superior player.

Harrison's technique is so much cleaner than Raonic. Maybe that will change some as Raonic grows into his body, but right now, uh uh.

Whoever said the excuses would roll in sure is right.

It's interesting too that Harrison read Raonic's serve so well. He has played and beaten Raonic before, so he is familiar with Raonic's game. On the ATP tour Raonic has benefited from his relative newness. He's going to have to add more variety and disguise to his shotmaking.

Both players are going to develop in the coming years, and it'll br interesting to see how they improve. After also being there for Chela's pathetic display today, this match was heartening. It was high caliber.

meigui1990
03-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Ryan, AMAZING!:worship:

One of your boys finally broke through in this tourney.
Didn't watch the match but Ryan's ROS seemed fantastic today.
Likely to witness a great rivalry between the two.

Ad Wim
03-16-2011, 09:22 AM
The problem with Harrison is that he produces his best tennis only in big stadium matches. But at this stage in his career, he has to do it on the outside courts and in challengers as well. Same holds more or less for Tomic.
Raonic and Dimitrov are doing the work on the smaller stages.

Li Ching Yuen
03-16-2011, 09:26 AM
I've liked the kid ever since he was 17, which is when I first saw him. He posses the right attitude, a decent array of shots, and I believe that the fact that at 18 he can beat Top30 players (which Raonic plays like today, at least) is a good indicator that he will be a great.

Now obviously the next question is: how?

Well, he doesn't have an obvious weapon but he's got an amazing combination of them. And first and foremost he can improve ON EVERY aspect of his game.

He's at 6'1 now and is moving well around the court, has great anticipation and something that people might have not noticed: his backhand is rock solid. I mean, tremendous shot, there's been quite some time since I have seen a stroke that would impress me as it did yesterday. He's got something else, which is no fear of turning defense into attack. That, and the kid can run all day long. Serve is also technically sound, since he's only 18 I'm guessing he'll grow even taller and stronger into his own body which will transform his alright decent serve into a major weapon. His 2nd delivery is very much a shocker for a youngster, impressively good.

But I guess behind all these positives, we also have to accept that the game style that he has will bring him a lot of bad defeats since it's pretty low percentage.

Entertaining match and time will tell, but I think this will be an important one for the history books as well.

delpiero7
03-16-2011, 10:39 AM
This was a highly enjoyable match. Harrison in particular was pretty solid in all departments, but as many have noted he really does lack a killer weapon. He did show that his RoS from the match against the Great Grass Lord was no fluke, showing his intent with his very first return of serve.

I donít get why certain members are hating on Harrison for his lack of power. Mostly the same people that bitch and whine about the tour being taken over by ballbashers, who more than other players rely on power to achieve success, and that the element of skill has been taken out of the game. I think Harrison proved in this match with his number of non-service winners that you can play aggressive tennis without having outright power. Also, as he is young, he still has the opportunity to become stronger, and hopefully add a big serve or forehand to his already very solid base.

As for Raonic, he seemed slightly more comfortable in rallies than his previous tournaments in San Jose and Memphis, but maybe thatís because Harrison lacks the outright power to hit through his opponent. If Milos does intend to S&V, then he could do with some work on his volleys, as I thought Harrison was the better of the two players at the net.

Realistically he should crash out in the next round, but if Fed is in the mood to shank a few backhands here and there, it could be closer than expected.

Certinfy
03-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Very enjoyable match but still pissed Milos lost :(

Dini
03-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Federer's second serve could well be chewed up and spit out by Harrison. His return game is one of his strengths.

He hit an absolutely stunning second serve down break point at one stage in the second set, so nonchalant and confident too. I don't think he's a pusher, though. Sure he tracks down every ball when he's in a defensive position - even the impossible ones - but if he's in control of a rally, he always looks for the opportunity to either go forward or find the gap for the winner. That's what is so impressive about him, that he has a sense of court geometry already. Plus, that slice is quite something. Like ApproachShot said in the Live Commentary thread, it needs to stay a little lower at times for greater effect but that will come with time.

As for the mental aspect, he got tight at the end for sure as he did against Chardy. But he still goes for his serves and in the end it rewarded him: ace on match point after a sublime volley winner on the previous point.

Raonic, Harrison, Berankis, Dolgopolov (though not as young as the rest) are giving great hope for the future of tennis. Tough to not get excited when you see fresh, raw talent being translated into results this early on.

alfonsojose
03-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Thank God the overhyped Milos lost :zzz:

IvŠn
03-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Entertaining match. I've seen Harrison in several challengers level matches last year and this was much much better. Glad he closed it out or else this forum would have exploded calling him a chocker.

this makes his loss to serra of all people more painful i guess

duong
03-16-2011, 01:04 PM
unfortunately I couldn't watch this match but if someone finds a link, I would be glad to watch it ;)

KaiserT
03-16-2011, 01:08 PM

He was sick before and during this match.

.-Federers_Mate-.
03-16-2011, 01:13 PM
who cares. This was a match between two overhyped yanks who will have the honor of shaking Rogers hand after a straight sets loss. You could see how much that meant to the players, what a fight! Harrison is solid but uninspiring. That won't get you anywhere. Raonic is all serve and that won't get you anywhere. So many holes in both players games that will probably be never fixed. Match was undeniably average but you can't expect much more from these two. Roger is going to DESTROY Ryan in the next round. If your not a Roger fan it's going to be painful viewing that's for sure

habibko
03-16-2011, 01:15 PM
-utxp0aXFyQ

B4zNU8IPJJU

Li Ching Yuen
03-16-2011, 01:23 PM
He's also breaking the trend of having a softie voice on the tour.

tennizen
03-16-2011, 01:37 PM
who cares. This was a match between two overhyped yanks who will have the honor of shaking Rogers hand after a straight sets loss. You could see how much that meant to the players, what a fight! Harrison is solid but uninspiring. That won't get you anywhere. Raonic is all serve and that won't get you anywhere. So many holes in both players games that will probably be never fixed. Match was undeniably average but you can't expect much more from these two. Roger is going to DESTROY Ryan in the next round. If your not a Roger fan it's going to be painful viewing that's for sure

Can't wait for the Don or Dimitrov to teach these upstarts a lesson.

.-Federers_Mate-.
03-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Can't wait for the Don or Dimitrov to teach these upstarts a lesson.

I can. I can't wait for Grigor and Young to be facing the big guns in the late stages of slams i.g under the lights of laver etc in epic matches that the future will bring. I dont care about watching Grigor crush Raonic 6-2 6-1.

tennizen
03-16-2011, 01:45 PM
I can. I can't wait for Grigor and Young to be facing the big guns in the late stages of slams i.g under the lights of laver etc in epic matches that the future will bring. I dont care about watching Grigor crush Raonic 6-2 6-1.

You say that now. But when it happens I am sure you will enjoy it as much as I do.

jcempire
03-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Donald suck at all...

.-Federers_Mate-.
03-16-2011, 01:49 PM
That's true. I'm getting the feeling that once the tour figures out Raonic and his one dimensional game, he'll be back playing with mello/Kim and co. As for Ryan, his game looks a lot like mediocrity, his younger bro is MUCH better. Doubt he will even be facing Grigor in the 1st rounds as he has to make the MD first which is 50/50.

Orka_n
03-16-2011, 01:57 PM
A Dimitrov fan talking about Ryan and Milos as "overhyped"? :spit: :rolls:

v-money
03-16-2011, 02:49 PM

Oh God. Don't remind me. But luckily I'm taking a break from gambling and I was just able to peacefully enjoy this match.

Har-Tru
03-16-2011, 03:21 PM
:bounce:

locyka19
03-16-2011, 03:21 PM
That's true. I'm getting the feeling that once the tour figures out Raonic and his one dimensional game, he'll be back playing with mello/Kim and co. As for Ryan, his game looks a lot like mediocrity, his younger bro is MUCH better. Doubt he will even be facing Grigor in the 1st rounds as he has to make the MD first which is 50/50.

Stop talkin shit. Nobody cares what you're saying.Nobody said Ryan will win it, just we are happy for this kid. You feel you got caught off guard or what? Dumb....haha

Sillyrabbit
03-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Fun match to watch after the other two matches from more experienced players. At 18 even though he isn't yet as matured as Raonic, Harrison is already way more interesting to watch. The volley at deuce, 5-4 in the last set was just amazing under the circumstances :drool:

Vida
03-16-2011, 05:12 PM
wow, really good match (saw sets 1 and 2). harrison :yeah:

a bit disappointed in milos, maybe he was a bit spent :shrug:

anyway very good to see some new faces duking it out there.

nadejda
03-16-2011, 05:37 PM

:smash: and that's comming from a Grigor fan!

Ryan is exciting! I don't see him making an upset over Roger, but that is a good run anyway!

Ryan :worship:

nole_no1
03-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Thank you Ryan :bounce:

This really was an exciting game :yeah:

Belludal
03-16-2011, 05:42 PM
I think that this match was the greatest victory of Harrisonīs carrer until now.

Sapeod
03-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Nice win for Ryan, he played exceptionally well.
It's not over you c***.

Just blame the live score. You took a shot and failed. Admit it.
You got a problem?

jadey
03-16-2011, 07:29 PM

Milos is NOT a " yank " he is a proud CANADIAN , are all Fedtards this dumb ????

viruzzz
03-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Milos is NOT a " yank " he is a proud CANADIAN , are all Fedtards this dumb ????

Neh, FM is... "Special" :D

straitup
03-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Great match :worship: Very very nerve-wrecking at 5-4 40-A in the last set though :lol:

This was a highly enjoyable match. Harrison in particular was pretty solid in all departments, but as many have noted he really does lack a killer weapon. He did show that his RoS from the match against the Great Grass Lord was no fluke, showing his intent with his very first return of serve.

I donít get why certain members are hating on Harrison for his lack of power. Mostly the same people that bitch and whine about the tour being taken over by ballbashers, who more than other players rely on power to achieve success, and that the element of skill has been taken out of the game. I think Harrison proved in this match with his number of non-service winners that you can play aggressive tennis without having outright power. Also, as he is young, he still has the opportunity to become stronger, and hopefully add a big serve or forehand to his already very solid base.

As for Raonic, he seemed slightly more comfortable in rallies than his previous tournaments in San Jose and Memphis, but maybe thatís because Harrison lacks the outright power to hit through his opponent. If Milos does intend to S&V, then he could do with some work on his volleys, as I thought Harrison was the better of the two players at the net.

Realistically he should crash out in the next round, but if Fed is in the mood to shank a few backhands here and there, it could be closer than expected.

Good analysis. Ryan doesn't have the outright power on all his shots yet, but I think he has good variety. He can hit with spin, but he shows the ability to flatten his strokes out when he wants to, perhaps when he's going in for a volley. He's got the aggressive mind-set, and I'm sure he'll be adding a bit more power to his shots to be able to finish some points off with a huge groundstroke.

Ryan's returning :eek: