More seeds? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

More seeds?

samjones
03-15-2011, 09:47 PM
I think that everybody on board here would agree that the NCAA Men's Basketball tournament is pretty much the world's greatest tournament and that's why this much is known the world over as March Madness.

They seed all 64 teams.

That makes me wonder why tennis has any draw at all. Why not just seed everybody? You can see the absurdity of it when you see 2 players face each other in the finals of one tournament and then first round of the next. You see the same absurdity when the defending champ faces a resurgent major winner in the 2nd round.

Why not just seed 1-16 (32 for 128 player fields) based on ATP ranking and shuffle the players to whichever quarter as it suits the interests of competition and intrigue to either put specific players together or keep them apart - then have the seeds face each other in a predictable way - i.e. 1 faces 16, 2 faces 15, etc.

I.e. why not just do it like the NCAA Men's Basketball tournament?

Thoughts?

oranges
03-15-2011, 09:48 PM
No, in fact going back to 16 is not a bad idea at all

GlennMirnyi
03-15-2011, 10:07 PM
:haha:

You must be joking.

That's the worst idea ever. There should be LESS seeds, not more seeds.

samjones
03-15-2011, 10:14 PM
:haha:

You must be joking.

That's the worst idea ever. There should be LESS seeds, not more seeds.

Why? I'm talking about "seeds", not "byes".

Do you like the unpredictability of the draw? What's the allure?

GlennMirnyi
03-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Why? I'm talking about "seeds", not "byes".

Do you like the unpredictability of the draw? What's the allure?

Yeah I do.

I don't care to give top players easy draws full of mugs except for the final and/or the semi-final.

Only fanboys and gloryhunters want to see always the same guys winning every tournament.

Roamed
03-15-2011, 10:26 PM
NCAA Men's Basketball is the best tournament in the world? No way! It's not international! Unless you mean in terms of the organisation, in which case I can't really comment as I don't follow it at all.. :)

I think it might be interesting - I don't suggest it really, but it would be interesting - to instead of having the draw done as it is, randomly, to have there be some sort of algorithm that actively searches for uncommon matchups to make it properly different for different tournaments. Would never happen, but still.

rocketassist
03-15-2011, 10:28 PM
I'd never even heard of the NCAA Men's Basketball tournament before I read this thread.

Sunset of Age
03-15-2011, 10:30 PM
I smell Troll In Da House...

Sapeod
03-15-2011, 10:32 PM
I think having 64 seeds for the slams would be good. I think it's a good idea.

All the other tournaments should stay the same though.

ApproachShot
03-15-2011, 10:32 PM
I think the seeding system works fine as it is. I wouldn't be totally against going back to 16 seeds, but increasing the number of seeds is not a good idea in my opinion.

156mphserve
03-15-2011, 10:33 PM
I see what you're getting at but having the 1 face the 4 everytime in the SF is no fun, or the 8 in the QF everytime, etc.

Sonja1989
03-15-2011, 10:41 PM
No, it's enough.
And I think the 32 seeded is too much sometimes. ;)

out_here_grindin
03-16-2011, 01:24 AM
March Madness is the daddy when it comes to tournaments(in the USA). It's pretty damn near perfect, I love everything about it. But it wouldn't work for tennis.

Though I do think tennis needs more 64 draws.

samjones
03-16-2011, 01:42 AM
I'd never even heard of the NCAA Men's Basketball tournament before I read this thread.

My wife's friends say dingbatty things like this whwn they're over at the house. If anybody ever stumbles they thinl somebody should be called for a foul.

They think running out the clock is unfair.

They never knew there was a tournament at the end of the year.

Things like that. I ignore them.

finishingmove
03-16-2011, 01:46 AM
seeds of chaos

asmazif
03-16-2011, 01:48 AM
...nope.

gulzhan
03-16-2011, 01:59 AM
My wife's friends say dingbatty things like this whwn they're over at the house. If anybody ever stumbles they thinl somebody should be called for a foul.

They think running out the clock is unfair.

They never knew there was a tournament at the end of the year.

Things like that. I ignore them.

Your wife's kitchen is a different story :hug: If you want to be part of an international site, you have to appreciate great jokes like that one. In fact, it's always healthy to have a good laugh at yourself.

gulzhan
03-16-2011, 02:02 AM
Absurd :lol:

In fact, we used to have draws by ranking for kids tournaments, you guys can try that in USTA :p Convenient, always know whom you play against :rolls: Doesn't harm much when 8-10 years old are concerned.

Hewitt =Legend
03-16-2011, 03:01 AM
Going back to 16 seeds would be better.