How valuable is winning 2 Olympic Singles Golds? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How valuable is winning 2 Olympic Singles Golds?

OLYMPICLEGEND
03-15-2011, 04:18 AM
How valuable is winning 2 Olympic Singles Golds? :p :p

Pirata.
03-15-2011, 04:23 AM
As valuable as winning two Masters titles, imo

OLYMPICLEGEND
03-15-2011, 04:24 AM
As valuable as winning two Masters titles, imo

That's like 2000 points, wow :p

shiaben
03-15-2011, 05:05 AM
It is as valuable as the amount of points, it is worth.

But it is less rewarding I guess compared to the gold medals won by young gymnasts, swimmers, wrestlers, etc. which treat the olympics like a championship of a lifetime. In tennis it's much less meaningful than a slam event any day.

I think any tennis player that has won it once, should refrain from winning it again. Should give an amateur player or a young one a chance to win it.

Not sure why Federer would even bother.

Marc23
03-15-2011, 05:24 AM
"Tennis history" does not remember solely Olympic champions because the GS are the center of attention in the tennis world during each year...

But,Olympic history does remember them and nation remembers it also.It's just once in 4 years...so,that's why it is worth,not just to be remembered by tennis history,tennis world,but by more global Olympic history and to make your people proud because of your achievements while representing your country...

finishingmove
03-15-2011, 05:25 AM
invaluable

for everything else.. there's mastercard

Marc23
03-15-2011, 05:26 AM
Steffi Graf won in Los Angeles '84 and in Seoul '88...

shiaben
03-15-2011, 05:27 AM
Great for the country, but doesn't always display the #1 tennis player in the world.

Where as with wrestling, gymnastics, swimming, running etc. Most of their #1 or top guys, win. Most of their lives also depend on the olympics which makes it all the more special.

I think when it comes to tennis, the merit is a lot less, IMHO. It's a nice thing to have on the resume, but it will never merit to that of the slams.

It will be like a more harder master series or a masters cup.

shiaben
03-15-2011, 05:29 AM

I had no idea she won twice.

The woman was a beast.

Marc23
03-15-2011, 05:38 AM

The woman was a beast.

Her husband Andre Agassi was also an Olympic champion...and won everything else,but his wife won everything that could be won several times more(Agassi's favorite remark about his wife) ;)

OLYMPICLEGEND
03-15-2011, 05:41 AM
It is as valuable as the amount of points, it is worth.

But it is less rewarding I guess compared to the gold medals won by young gymnasts, swimmers, wrestlers, etc. which treat the olympics like a championship of a lifetime. In tennis it's much less meaningful than a slam event any day.

I think any tennis player that has won it once, should refrain from winning it again. Should give an amateur player or a young one a chance to win it.

Not sure why Federer would even bother.

I agree, Federer should skip London. Rafa though should get another Gold because he appreciates his national duties, and then break Graf's record and go for a 3rd Gold in 2016 :p

Pirata.
03-15-2011, 05:56 AM
I agree, Federer should skip London. Rafa though should get another Gold because he appreciates his national duties, and then break Graf's record and go for a 3rd Gold in 2016 :p

:retard:

Rafa will be on the seniors tour in 2016 and plus, Rio is on hard courts, not clay.

viruzzz
03-15-2011, 05:59 AM
So welcome the new user... Another Rafitofan.
*sigh...

OLYMPICLEGEND
03-15-2011, 06:04 AM
:retard:

Rafa will be on the seniors tour in 2016 and plus, Rio is on hard courts, not clay.

Good luck with that :lol:

BodyServe
03-15-2011, 06:56 AM
So welcome the new user... Another Rafitofan.
*sigh...

Or another double account.

AnnaK_4ever
03-15-2011, 09:07 AM

The woman was a beast.

That's because she didn't.

ossie
03-15-2011, 09:51 AM
the olympics have no value for tennis (players) imo.

OLYMPICLEGEND
03-15-2011, 09:53 AM
That's because she didn't.

Yep I just checked, it appears Graf only won it in 1988. Thanks for catching that :p

OLYMPICLEGEND
03-15-2011, 09:56 AM
the olympics have no value for tennis (players) imo.

But what if Nadal winning it twice changes that perception? In 20 years it'll probably be huge, and after all it is the rarest event (every 4 years), so it does make it extra special. And Federer sure did make a big deal of his doubles Gold *insert quote here*. Because it only began in the 80s it means the prestige isn't there yet, but in a decade or 2 it'll be like the Australian Open became :p

n8
03-15-2011, 09:58 AM

The woman was a beast.

Plus silver at Barcelona. But her Los Angeles victory was only a 'demonstration event', not a real Olympic gold.

paseo
03-15-2011, 11:31 AM
I think it would be better to have the singles AND doubles gold medal. So, that means Fed needs to win the singles, while Nadal should try to go for the doubles.

OLYMPICLEGEND
03-15-2011, 01:45 PM
I think it would be better to have the singles AND doubles gold medal. So, that means Fed needs to win the singles, while Nadal should try to go for the doubles.

They both have a great chance at winning London 2012 doubles, should be interesting, but for a player's SINGLES legacy it wouldn't matter (as winning doubles in slams doesn't matter either) :p

JMG
03-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Winning 2 singles golds makes you a legend.

Marc23
03-15-2011, 02:11 PM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k126/auersperg21/Graf.jpg

Marc23
03-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Seoul 1988:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k126/auersperg21/Graf2.jpg

Nadull_tard
03-15-2011, 02:15 PM
As valuable as winning one Olympic medal plus another.

OLYMPICLEGEND
03-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Which is greater for the individual legacy, winning 2 Davis Cups (when you've already won an Olympic singles Gold), or winning 2 Olympic Singles Golds (when you've already won a Davis Cup)? :p

AnnaK_4ever
03-15-2011, 02:59 PM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k126/auersperg21/Graf.jpg

Is there any particular reason you keep posting about the meaningless exhibitions Graf "won" in LA?

Marc23
03-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Is there any particular reason you keep posting about the meaningless exhibitions Graf "won" in LA?

No matter what you say she won it and she has a gold medal-that's why I posted it!

And obviously,it's not meaningless...Meaningless would be talking or posting about someone who has never won a tournament like AnnaK_(n)ever did!

;)

Nixer
03-15-2011, 04:13 PM
No matter what you say she won it and she has a gold medal-that's why I posted it!

And obviously,it's not meaningless...Meaningless would be talking or posting about someone who has never won a tournament like AnnaK_(n)ever did!

;)

she won it, and she's got the gold medal, but it is not official - so medal is not Olympic

Marc23
03-15-2011, 04:20 PM
she won it, and she's got the gold medal

The picture confirms it!

Nixer
03-15-2011, 04:24 PM
The picture confirms it!

won't argue with it, though I don't trust random pictures from internet (could be smth nasty there :rolleyes:), still only 1-time Olympic champion, cause the medal was not official Olympic - check all stats on wiki, wta

AnnaK_4ever
03-15-2011, 04:27 PM

She won exhibitions. She never won 1984 Olympics as tennis was not an Olympic sport back then. Surely even you should be able to acknowledge this obvious fact.

;)

Ouch, that hurts. NOT.

Boarder35m
03-15-2011, 04:33 PM
In sports like tennis, sooccer, basketball and handball the Olympics donīt have a high importance because other events are much more popular.

On the other hand the experience of Olympic Games is very special.
You canīt have that even at Grand Slams.

Marc23
03-15-2011, 04:36 PM
She won exhibitions. She never won 1984 Olympics as tennis was not an Olympic sport back then. Surely even you should be able to acknowledge this obvious fact.

Please,read carefully my posts...I never said she was '84 Olympic champion,but that she won gold medal at '84 Olympic games...and there is the difference between these two because it was a an event at Olympic games that was awarded with the gold medal,but not exactly Olympic champion as it was a first tennis(officially demonstration,not exhibition) event!

And the thread title says "2 Olympic Singles Golds",not "2 times Olympic champion",so I was very precise ;)

Marc23
03-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Ouch, that hurts.

I know it does :devil:

ExcaliburII
03-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Depends on each country imo. For Argentina Sabatini winning silver medal was huge. Almost as remembered as her UsOpen here. Of course from a worldwide perspective I think Gold Medal comes right after a GS and Davis Cup.

ExcaliburII
03-15-2011, 04:41 PM
In sports like tennis, sooccer, basketball and handball the Olympics donīt have a high importance because other events are much more popular.

On the other hand the experience of Olympic Games is very special.
You canīt have that even at Grand Slams.
In Basketball the Olympics are more valued than the world cup. Its the most important competition by countries. If the USA doesn't give a shit or they dont have the balls to win its another problem. Since they lost to Argentina couple of years ago they act as if they didn't care anymore.

The football olympics mean shit, yes. Id trade one world cup for 100 hundred football gold medals

Nixer
03-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Please,read carefully my posts...I never said she was '84 Olympic champion,but that she won gold medal at '84 Olympic games...and there is the difference between these two because it was a an event at Olympic games that was awarded with the gold medal,but not exactly Olympic champion as it was a first tennis(officially demonstration,not exhibition) event!

And the thread title says "2 Olympic Singles Golds",not "2 times Olympic champion",so I was very precise ;)

she is neither 2 times Olympic champion, nor won 2 singles Olympic golds.. 1984 was not Olympic, unofficial :D

the difference is not medal or champion, but exho and Olympic

Marc23
03-15-2011, 09:07 PM
she is neither 2 times Olympic champion, nor won 2 singles Olympic golds.. 1984 was not Olympic, unofficial :D

the difference is not medal or champion, but exho and Olympic

For alter ego>AnnaK_4ever:

I said she won two golds at Olympic games tennis tournament(not that she was twice Olympic champion),first was a demonstration-NOT a exho(as you claim) and was rewarded with a gold medal,but just does not count as Olympic champion as it was a demonstration due to introduction of tennis into Olympic sports!

And the second one in '88 counts as Olympic champion!

In this case there were 2 Olympic games tournaments,2 golds,but for winning the first she was just Olympic demonstration winner and for the second Olympic champion!

rafa_maniac
03-15-2011, 09:27 PM
You're nothing in tennis until you have at least two Golds.

BigJohn
03-15-2011, 09:45 PM
You're nothing in tennis until you have at least two Golds.

So nobody is anything?

AnnaK_4ever
03-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Please,read carefully my posts...

I was very precise ;)

I did and your posts have nothing to do with precision. You're just reproducing false statements.

Nixer
03-15-2011, 10:01 PM
For alter ego>AnnaK_4ever:

I said she won two golds at Olympic games tennis tournament(not that she was twice Olympic champion),first was a demonstration-NOT a exho(as you claim) and was rewarded with a gold medal,but just does not count as Olympic champion as it was a demonstration due to introduction of tennis into Olympic sports!

And the second one in '88 counts as Olympic champion!

In this case there were 2 Olympic games tournaments,2 golds,but for winning the first she was just Olympic demonstration winner and for the second Olympic champion!

ok

the last time i learned english, demonstration and exhibition were synonyms :o

FEDERERBEAUTY
03-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Any achievement is good but tennnis isn't what is associated with the Olympics. The sport has its own big achievements ie grand slams. So, frankly I don't think it matters too much whether you have 1, 2 or none.

Marc23
03-15-2011, 11:07 PM
I did and your posts have nothing to do with precision. You're just reproducing false statements.

I am very precise with my words ;) the other thing is that you obviously don't know how to read carefully,but that's not my fault!

You constantly repeat something you would like me to have said,but that's not happening!

thegreendestiny
03-16-2011, 02:40 AM
No tennis player has ever achieved that feat.

It depends on the country you come from really.

Kolya
03-16-2011, 06:10 AM

In 1984, tennis was a demonstration sport.

Deivid23
03-16-2011, 06:22 AM
In this board, itīs as valuable as fuck all bc Nadal is the only current player who stands a realistic chance at achieving it. Hope this helps

Topspindoctor
03-16-2011, 06:39 AM

:yeah:

Best female player in history. Talent, class and looks rolled into one. She won a silver medal in 1992 as well.That's THREE olympic medals in singles. GOAT :bowdown:

Marc23
03-16-2011, 02:29 PM
:yeah:

Best female player in history. Talent, class and looks rolled into one. She won a silver medal in 1992 as well.That's THREE olympic medals in singles. GOAT :bowdown:

She also won bronze in doubles...

I had a chance to meet her and I have never ever met such humble,modest and down to earth person who owns so many tennis records...