IW 3R: JM Del Potro dismantles A. Dolgopolov, 7-6(3) 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

IW 3R: JM Del Potro dismantles A. Dolgopolov, 7-6(3) 6-3

LocoPorElTenis
03-15-2011, 12:29 AM
Best match by Juan since coming back from injury, despite the choking attempt at the end (was 5-1 in the second). Played solid the whole match and had some of his blistering winners from the back of the court... best point of the match was at 5-3 in the tb. Low first serve percentage continues to be a hindrance, though (though it's not as bad as it seems because his second serve is solid... but still, he won't get away with it against a top player).

Dolgo had brilliant patches (the first set after the first three games) and some really poor ones. A joy to watch when he's on, and he gave Pony all kinds of trouble with the slices, angles and funky shots.

Young 8
:cool:

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5831/oleksandrdolgopolov2010.jpg

Gladiator
I think Delpo has the highest chance to meet Rafa in the semis if they stay fit.

good performance from both.

served for the match in the 2nd set 5-2 but Dolgo managed to break

Jacques_Ukraine
It was interesting... sometimes in the 1st set and near end of the 2nd

===
Statistics of the 1st set

Orka_n
03-15-2011, 12:30 AM
Dolgo needs to work on his consistency, but the kid has plenty of talent.

rubbERR
Best match? Hell no, served like amateur again.

abraxas21
expected.

pony ballbashing his way thru the ukranian. dolgopolov is a bit of a mug but at least he's got variety.

Chartreuse
03-15-2011, 12:31 AM
Expected.

Arkulari
Juan was pretty solid, Dolgo is not the easiest match-up for him due to the variety (specially in the slices) but he got a tough win, this is what he needs to regain confidence and play better :yeah:

tealeaves
2nd set tennis is HORRID.

Del Potro needs to find a first serve. It's awful

FiBeR
:o Mugpotro

Certinfy
COME ON!!! So happy with that performance, much better than his last few matches for sure! :D

Sonja1989
03-15-2011, 12:32 AM
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! :banana: Well done Delpony. :worship:
He can beating Kohlschreiber. :)

duong
03-15-2011, 12:32 AM
Dolgopolov was shaky (despite his real talent, yes)

but Del Potro is definitely on the right way : not at his full power yet but it was the best match I've seen from him this year.

He's been so brave in the beginning of this year, he really has the mental of a real champion :yeah: (if Murray had that ... :rolleyes: )

LocoPorElTenis
03-15-2011, 12:33 AM
Best match? Hell no, served like amateur again.

He had a low 1st percentage, except at the beginning of the match. That's a big issue, but one he's always had since his comeback. Today, he was solid with his groundstrokes and also the second serve, can't improve everything at once, baby steps for him.

Jacques_Ukraine
Statistics of the match

locyka19
Too bad that this two had to meet. Dolgopol should be on his way to the 4th round on an other brench.

fast_clay
03-15-2011, 12:34 AM
:cool:

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5831/oleksandrdolgopolov2010.jpg

clownopolov :lol:

tennizen
03-15-2011, 12:34 AM
First set was some really good tennis from both after the first 3 games or so. Delpo played a good match. Some blistering winners like old times.

Dolgo went away after the first set. Too many errors.

Argenbrit
03-15-2011, 12:36 AM
Expected. Although Pony needs to improve his serve.

tsmile789
03-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Dolgopolov plays like a mad cow when he's broken and kind broke back right away, it's just like he's lost his winner's confident n starts playing like a mental patient...but I think he'll control it with experience. But if he breaks someone first than his confident just boost to 110% and he's a joy to watch, every point is marvoulous...but expected a 3 set from delpo tho...

Vida
03-15-2011, 12:37 AM
dolgo physically too weak. too many quirky shots and random errors.

Orka_n
03-15-2011, 12:38 AM
I like Dolgo, but personally I'd like to see him.... I dunno... take his job on the court a little more seriously? It's not Monfils-bad, but he doesn't have the constantly focused look of a true professional yet.

ZaZoo)
03-15-2011, 12:39 AM
Ugly win but happy for Delpo, he needs to find that serve.

Elbarto
03-15-2011, 12:40 AM
the first set and the tie-break were great to watch,

in the second set Dolgo didn't manage to control the power of Del Potro' shots, and Delpo seemed to lose sometimes his concentration,

but it's a good win against a dangerous opponent

Helevorn
03-15-2011, 12:41 AM
I really enjoyed the first set. Better player won today, and del Potro has been stronger and more consistant on the court. Nothing to complain about Dolgopolov's performance though.

Now let's wait for that Bulgarian guy who will oblige Dolgopolov to play in the WTA tour.

duong
03-15-2011, 12:42 AM
I like Dolgo, but personally I'd like to see him.... I dunno... take his job on the court a little more seriously? It's not Monfils-bad, but he doesn't have the constantly focused look of a true professional yet.

he plays much with his talent, and it still works quite often.

And he's come back from being led very often, it's not that he gives up usually even though second set was bad today

tennishero
03-15-2011, 12:43 AM
delpo back in the top 20 in no time.

Zaks_289
03-15-2011, 12:44 AM
dolgo physically too weak. too many quirky shots and random errors.

It's dolgopolov. If you known about him, you never believe in him. Today, Del Potro played quite normally, but also enough to beats Dolgo. With that form, Del Potro will be difficult to beat Kohlschreiber.

duong
03-15-2011, 12:45 AM
delpo back in the top 20 in no time.

unfortunately the rankings are made in such a way that he will need time for that, not before summer I guess.

but if he reaches the semifinal here he will be around 50

FiBeR
03-15-2011, 12:46 AM
one of the worst wins ive seen from Del Potro since his return. He was plain awful: playing most of the balls to the centre of the court waiting for Dolgo's patches of inconsistency to appear. Looked for the lines but didnt quite convince. Lost serve when serving for the first set and then serving for the match. In all fairness he won the tie break with class and some amazing points now and then but this is nothing like the guy who won the US Open... with his level he is not challenging a top ten right now (or at least what he has shown during the tournament so far). Played much better vs Ljubicic (and he played bad there) but then again Dolgopolov is a rare talent with unpredictable moves and hits and clearly that had a lot in the equation. Nevertheless a win is a win and :yeah: The Pony is through to R4. There is plenty of time to play well... R4 Kohlschreiber and if through Verdasco/Querrey/Robredo in QF... Verdasco looks tougher to me in terms of matchups for DPot. :bounce:

What I mean by this is 2009 Del Potro once he got control, you would cruise and see him take the chances without losing the advantage... I found this not happening this week

tealeaves
03-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Okay, a big IF Del Potro somehow wins Indian Wells. He would be right back to top 32. Will he have a bye in Miami?

Zaks_289
03-15-2011, 12:47 AM
If Del Potro stay healthy, rankings isn't problem with him.

cobalt60
2nd set tennis is HORRID.

Del Potro needs to find a first serve. It's awful

Agree. First set was interesting; second set :help: on both sides. Flash of brilliance every so often but rare.

duong
Okay, a big IF Del Potro somehow wins Indian Wells. He would be right back to top 32. Will he have a bye in Miami?

with that big "if" yes :lol:

tealeaves
03-15-2011, 12:48 AM
Agree. First set was interesting; second set :help: on both sides. Flash of brilliance every so often but rare.

The way Dolgo gave up the break at 1*-3, Del Potro threw away his first 2 DFs at 5*-2, and the last game were all dreadful.

Sunset of Age
03-15-2011, 12:48 AM
Congrats to Juan-Martin, clearly the better - most consistent - player in this match, even if his 1st serve is still In Absentia most of the time (no wonder with such a severe wrist injury), the rest of his game appears to be clicking again. Or at least it's going in the right direction. :yeah:

As for Dolgo, what a charming young fellow he is. LOADS of talent, but a mite too playful still, hence the concentration lapses that cost him the second set in a rather dreadful manner. A dorky delightful guy with a dancing ponytail, makes me remember the early days of some other rather good player some 10 years ago... :D

EnriqueIG8
03-15-2011, 12:54 AM
Was he any good? I didn't see the match.

Definately possibilities against Kohli next round, right?

Sunset of Age
03-15-2011, 12:56 AM
Was he any good? I didn't see the match.

Definately possibilities against Kohli next round, right?

Possibilities, yes, but surely not a lock-in imho.
DelPo's having lots of troubles with his serve still.

LocoPorElTenis
03-15-2011, 12:56 AM
one of the worst wins ive seen from Del Potro since his return

Tell me a better win he's had since coming back.

He was plain awful: playing most of the balls to the centre of the court waiting for Dolgo's patches of inconsistency to appear.

And it worked. He won.

Looked for the lines but didnt quite convince.

True, he's not as accurate when going for the lines, guess it'll take time to fine-tune his shots.

Lost serve when serving for the first set and then serving for the match. In all fairness he won the tie break with class and some amazing points now and then

And that's what counts.

but this is nothing like the guy who won the US Open...

Of course he's not. Nobody's claiming he is. Let's not forget, he's been out of the game for a full year with a serious injury. He has recovered faster than anybody thought, but it will still take a long time for him to get back to his previous best, if it ever happens.

Played much better vs Ljubicic (and he played bad there) but then again Dolgopolov is a rare talent with unpredictable moves and hits and clearly that had a lot in the equation.

Dolgo >>>>> Ljubo (at this time of their careers), and also a worst matchup for Juan. This was a much better win.

What I mean by this is 2009 Del Potro once he got control, you would cruise and see him take the chances without losing the advantage... I found this not happening this week

Not completely true. He's never been a good frontrunner, but he manages to escape somehow. When he first beat Nadal, he was dominating and cruising to a straight sets win, then he fell two breaks down in the third, somehow managed to win. In the USO final, was leading, then trailing, then leading, then trailing, he finally won. Same against Fed in the TMC. And so on.

Matt01
03-15-2011, 01:04 AM
Excellent :yeah:

Now please beat the Cabbageschreiber Kohlschreiber.

Topspindoctor
03-15-2011, 01:06 AM
Terrible result for tennis.

Elbarto
03-15-2011, 01:08 AM
Terrible result for tennis.

terrible result for Nadal because he might play Delpo in semi :p

Agrajag
03-15-2011, 01:09 AM
This was the best match I have seen from him since the comeback. The first serve fell apart in the second set, but his second serve was great after he started going for it. That shows he is really thinking out there since Dolgo destroyed his second in the start of the match.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Dolgos four lets in a row. Is that a record?

Topspindoctor
03-15-2011, 01:09 AM
terrible result for Nadal because he might play Delpo in semi :p

No, because Mugtro is a brainless ball basher with less strategy than most WTA players.

LocoPorElTenis
03-15-2011, 01:10 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Dolgos four lets in a row. Is that a record?

I think there was a thread recently and nobody knew of more than 4 lets, but there were a couple instances of 4 lets... I could be wrong though. Was funny either way.

Elbarto
03-15-2011, 01:15 AM
No, because Mugtro is a brainless ball basher with less strategy than most WTA players.

Mugs never win grand slam :o

so there is a huge mistake in your statement

Topspindoctor
03-15-2011, 01:17 AM
Mugs never win grand slam :o

so there is a huge mistake in your statement

Thomas Johansson. Enough said.

FiBeR
03-15-2011, 01:23 AM
Thomas Johansson. Enough said.

did ToJo triple baggled Rafito 2, 2, 2?
then you should feel bad a guy with no strategy beat "your" fave player with 6 breaks of serves difference at a Grand slam semifinal

Elbarto
03-15-2011, 01:26 AM
Thomas Johansson.

Thomas Johansson was a decent player and you were probably too young when he won his grand slam,

you seem to be a troll in this forum, a lack of objectivity in your messages, a smear campaign against Del Potro

ExcaliburII
03-15-2011, 01:26 AM
Del Potro played his best match since his comeback, agreed.

Topspindoctor
03-15-2011, 01:29 AM
Thomas Johansson was a decent player and you were probably too young when he won his grand slam,

you seem to be a troll in this forum, a lack of objectivity in your messages, a smear campaign against Del Potro

No, just a realist who understands that Mugtro isn't as amazing player as the forum bandwagon proclaims him to be just because he beat an injured Nadal....

He won't be winning anymore slams that's for sure.

rubbERR
03-15-2011, 01:30 AM
Go therapy man, u need it.

FiBeR
03-15-2011, 01:45 AM
:rolls:

with this R4 showdown, he will be top 75 in ranks. not really important but a great progress for tha man :worship:

Shirogane
03-15-2011, 01:59 AM
Good stuff Delpo. :smoke: :)

Johnny Groove
03-15-2011, 02:03 AM
expected.

pony ballbashing his way thru the ukranian. dolgopolov is a bit of a mug but at least he's got variety.

A mug with variety.

A variemug if you will.

out_here_grindin
03-15-2011, 02:19 AM
Delpo a mug because he has no variety. Dolgo a mug because he has too much.

straitup
03-15-2011, 02:38 AM
I thought the first set was pretty entertaining, but I had to go so I couldn't see the second set. I thought it would go 3 though because Dolgo was starting to be more consistent with those slices.

The Delpo FH is one of my fav shots still, I'm glad I got to see some good ones today

GugaF1
03-15-2011, 02:57 AM
Dolgo is a ball junker and a ball basher at times. yeah he can pull some tricky and tough shots, but that is not how you win tennis matches consistantly. He needs to work on his fundamentals, there is no need to try and pull tricky shots so much, he needs to play better the % work on the rally with solid regular shots and than go for the shotmaking.

Shotmaking without any tatics or brain doesnt work and is just lazy. he does have some good potential. For Delpo his best win until the come back. This tournament can really be great for him now. I am cheering for him because he is major player.

TMJordan
03-15-2011, 03:01 AM
What is this shit Dolgo?.....

Swim4life227
03-15-2011, 03:02 AM
Nice win! Best match of his comeback, this draw is opening up beautifully to make the SFs. He couldn't have been placed in a better spot in the draw and should take advantage of it because who knows if he'll get this lucky in Miami.

tealeaves
03-15-2011, 03:26 AM
This is the best point of the match. The most crucial one as well :
K__MA4C5gDk

smitty8
03-15-2011, 03:30 AM
A win is a win. Keep on going Delpo. :yeah:

gulzhan
03-15-2011, 03:31 AM
I might expect too much from Dolgopolov but it was disappointing. Maybe the boy needs some more time.

rocketassist
03-15-2011, 04:04 AM
Poor performance by Andy Carroll there, Liverpool have wasted £35m

shiaben
03-15-2011, 04:27 AM
Del Potro is getting some of that form back. I still don't see him making any dents on Nadal sooner or even later.

fast_clay
03-15-2011, 05:31 AM
Dolgo is a ball junker and a ball basher at times. yeah he can pull some tricky and tough shots, but that is not how you win tennis matches consistantly. He needs to work on his fundamentals, there is no need to try and pull tricky shots so much, he needs to play better the % work on the rally with solid regular shots and than go for the shotmaking.

Shotmaking without any tatics or brain doesnt work and is just lazy. he does have some good potential. For Delpo his best win until the come back. This tournament can really be great for him now. I am cheering for him because he is major player.

dolgo doesnt have time for your 'fundamentals'... he is currently rewriting them...

but yes, the quicker del potro gets back in the top 10 the quicker tennis can heal itself from will be known in the future as The Mug Era...

tennishero
03-15-2011, 05:43 AM
i think he can beat nadal even if hes not 100%

The Magician
03-15-2011, 06:35 AM
Wheels are starting to fall off the Dolgopolov bandwagon and the Del Po bandwagon, which was wrecked on the side of the road for a while, is using those parts to get back to full steam :p

Puschkin
03-15-2011, 07:31 AM
Wheels are starting to fall off the Dolgopolov bandwagon and the Del Po bandwagon, :p
Quite the contrary. I only saw the first set, but my preference clearly is with Dologopolov. What a variety of shots while del Potro was the usual bore.

Raiden
03-15-2011, 08:58 AM
Yeah!!!

Keep them blistering rockets comin, JMDP

delpiero7
03-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Delpo :worship:

Obviously still nowhere near his 2009 form, but if he could bash his way past Kohly next then it would be a very nice leap up the rankings again. Stringing a number of wins together at this stage of his comeback still seems a bit of a bonus. At this rate he'll be well inside the top 30 (or even top 20) by the time the US Open Series rolls around, by which point he will hopefully be nearing peak form.

Wheels are starting to fall off the Dolgopolov bandwagon and the Del Po bandwagon, which was wrecked on the side of the road for a while, is using those parts to get back to full steam :p

I like this analogy! :yeah:

Sillyrabbit
03-15-2011, 05:14 PM
I thought Kuznetsova would put up a better fight.