IW R3: Kohli gets Bye vs Injured Soderling 7-6 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

IW R3: Kohli gets Bye vs Injured Soderling 7-6 6-4

henke007
03-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Robin apparently hurt his foot in DC already and was in bed with fever after that and before IW so his preps must have been awfull, maybe hasn't had so much rehab on the foot:confused:. Even if he had won the first set i think he would have lost the match.

Hope he didn't make things worse by playing today.

Anyway This half of the DRAW :o::p

Still hope Delpo can go to the 1/4 but will be tough for him to beat Nadal right now if he wins it.

MIMIC
03-14-2011, 10:23 PM
This tournament is in full-fledged circus mode :spit:

ImmzB
03-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Yes Kohli!! :yeah: :bigclap:

scarecrows
03-14-2011, 10:25 PM
shame for Soda
clearly injury on left foot

good game from Kohli though, did well to save those SPs although he would have won in 3 if he didnt do that

_Chaz
I like both but rooted for Söderling as he had 360 points to defend and would have had a better chance to beat DelPo / Dolgo next round.
As we know Kohli, he'll lose 4-6 3-6 in the next round.

Now DelPo is the only man who could stop Nadal, and he's far from his top form.

Lleyton_
Typical Nadal draw:o

Jomp1
Expected once he threw the first set away. Too bad he's so stubborn, should've just retired after a few games in the second.

Sunset of Age
03-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Sod :hug: get well soon!
Congrats to Kohli, hope he keeps it up.

STUHL
03-14-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm sooo happy that he took advantage of the fact that Soderling wasn't fully fit. But wow he needed such a victory badly :worship: :)

Pirata.
03-14-2011, 10:27 PM
This half of the DRAW :o:spit::zzz:

What a joke this top half of the draw is. If Rafa doesn't make the semifinals, he should just retire.

tennizen
I never understand why some players don't learn to pace themselves to peak at the right times.

lalaland
Kohli :yeah:

Wow, what a quarter, both seed #4 and #5 are gone. Wide open...

Nadull_tard
03-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Jokael Drawdal just needs to whip some mediocre bitches and he will end his 2-year HC Masters drought.

nole_no1
OMFG Soderling

What an awful game in both sets

Served for the set at 5-3 in the 1st but broken and then lost the tie-break 10-8 after he lead 6-3

In the second Soderling didn't raise his game at all (i think it was even worse) and Kohlschreiber broke him at 4-5 when Robin served to stay in the set

Happy for Kohly but this was kinda awful

djb84xi
Nice win for Philipp. He's 4-1 against the Sod, which is kinda surprising, but nonetheless great. Obviously he played an injured Soderling, but what really matters is that he was the more aggressive player and took advantage of his opportunities, which resulted in the win. Big win for the German.

Horatio Caine
03-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Two stunning forehand return winners (both off 1st serves?) from Kohly to rescue that 1st set tiebreak. :worship:

ZaZoo)
03-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Nadal's draw getting easier by every second, even Almagro is now losing to Montanes.

With this tempo, he won't meet top 50 until final.

madmax
03-14-2011, 10:32 PM
WD Kohli:banana: Didn't play great by any means, but stayed concentrated and waited untill the errors from hampered Soderling came. Good luck next round

Pirao666
Nadal's evil plots to get an easy draw were a huge success, huh? He is a clever devil :angel:

I hope Nadal gets to face Del Potro, time to overturn that negative H2H.

rocketassist
Nadal's draw :help:

_Chaz
Nadal's draw getting easier by every second, even Almagro is now losing to Montanes.

With this tempo, he won't meet top 50 until final.

Probably meeting three qualifiers in his first three matches :haha:

Ad Wim
03-14-2011, 10:33 PM
What an awful match, terrible. Soderling gifted the match with 4 UEs in the last game.

Benget
03-14-2011, 10:33 PM
OMFG Soderling

What an awful game in both sets

Served for the set at 5-3 in the 1st but broken and then lost the tie-break 10-8 after he lead 6-3

In the second Soderling didn't raise his game at all (i think it was even worse) and Kohlschreiber broke him at 4-5 when Robin served to stay in the set

Happy for Kohly but this was kinda awful

it's not like he was injured or anything :rolleyes:

Roamed
03-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Hope Robin is ok :( Unfortunate loss but he has had a fever (?) so hopefully he can ignore this, recover and do some damage in Miami.

And as Almagro is about to go out too, these are the remaining star attractions in terms of seeds in the top half of the draw: Rafa, Verdasco, Dolgo, Querrey, Montanes, Robredo, Simon, Kohli.

freeandlonely
03-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Injured or not, he doesn't have convincing results on slow HC anyway.:shrug:

Chiakifug
03-14-2011, 10:36 PM
^^^Someones ones forgotten the SF here last year.

Rest up for Miami Soddy, suits you better anyway.

Pirata.
03-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Nadal's evil plots to get an easy draw were a huge success, huh? He is a clever devil :angel:

Davydenko def Fludal in Doha
Del Potro def Thighdal in Indian Wells

Jomp1
03-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Hope Robin is ok :( Unfortunate loss but he has had a fever (?) so hopefully he can ignore this, recover and do some damage in Miami.

Ankle injury suffered in the first set, couldn't move at all out to his forehand.

Robin saved himself with 90% first serves until that last game, where Kohli got play on the ball, and Robin made the inevitable missed with his forehand because he couldn't move to hit it properly.

djb84xi
03-14-2011, 10:40 PM

Definitely agree with that!

scarecrows
03-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Two stunning forehand return winners (both off 1st serves?) from Kohly to rescue that 1st set tiebreak. :worship:

Soderling served at mid pace although they were 1st serves

FormerRafaFan
All the top seeds are dropping like flies. I just hope this isn't a bad omen for Rafa!

Didn't see the match, but nice to see Kohli win in straights, even if Soderling was injured..

timafi
it didn't look like his ankle but his Achilles heel instead:scared:

djb84xi
03-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Ankle injury suffered in the first set, couldn't move at all out to his forehand.

Robin saved himself with 90% first serves until that last game, where Kohli got play on the ball, and Robin made the inevitable missed with his forehand because he couldn't move to hit it properly.

Sucks that Sod got that injury. Would've liked to see a more competitive, high quality match without injuries being involved, but what's done is done. Hopefully, the injury isn't serious and Soderling will be able to compete in Miami

v-money
03-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Why is this thread about Nadal? There should be enough to talk about from this match that we don't have to bring up a hypothetical match-up that may or may not have even happened (3 matches had to be won by both guys).
Soderling was having a good year but now it looks like he's injured, although I'm not a huge fan it's never good to lose a top player from the tour due to injury. Good win for Kohli and I think he has a chance next round even though everyone seems to think otherwise.

vn01
03-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Kohli :bigclap:

Vamos Rafa! Get in the Final, now! :worship:

KEEP HATING, HATERS!!! :devil:

Roamed

Oh no! Poor Robin :sad: Thanks for letting me know, I was only following the live scores.

henke007
Hope he gets a good prep for Miami and maybe a Nadal draw , but not holding my breath!!

All focus on Delpo now, great chance for a 1/4 anyway!!

Sapeod
03-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Had Soderling not been injured, he would've won, no doubt.

Rest up for Miami, Robin!
You can kick ass there!

Dini
03-14-2011, 10:46 PM
There's obviously a match-up issue here. It took an extremely determined and pumped up Söderling to beat Kohlschreiber in Rotterdam. (In a 3rd set tiebreaker, mind you.) Injuries don't help the cause when you're trying to beat your nemesis, though. Hope Robin gets well soon. :awww:

Good to see Kohli put on a run however small or big it is. He just seems like he can't win matches let alone construct decent points together sometimes, then boom comes the top player and he's at a different level all together. I really enjoy watching his game in full flow; hope he somehow can get some consistency going now.

DrJules
03-14-2011, 10:46 PM
All the top seeds are dropping like flies. I just hope this isn't a bad omen for Rafa!

Didn't see the match, but nice to see Kohli win in straights, even if Soderling was injured..

I think you will need a large swatter to knock out Nadal or Djokovic.

Chartreuse
03-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Davydenko def Fludal in Doha
Del Potro def Thighdal in Indian Wells

Could be. Denko was out for a very long time injured came back and the only top player he beat was Nadal.

:rolleyes:

If the same scenario happened where Del Potro has been out for a very long time injured and after coming back beats Rafa it would be.:o

tribalfusion
03-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Why is this thread about Nadal? There should be enough to talk about from this match that we don't have to bring up a hypothetical match-up that may or may not have even happened (3 matches had to be won by both guys).
Soderling was having a good year but now it looks like he's injured, although I'm not a huge fan it's never good to lose a top player from the tour due to injury. Good win for Kohli and I think he has a chance next round even though everyone seems to think otherwise.

+ 1000

No need to speak of some hypothetical match which may never have happened in any case.

Some nerves on Kohli's part it would seem now and again but there were some nice points in there as well.

Soderling may not have pulled it out at under any conditions; it isn't as if Kohli hasn't already beaten Sod several times already.

tribalfusion
03-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Had Soderling not been injured, he would've won, no doubt

You are a clown.

Look at the head to head.

Was Sod injured all the other times as well?

I guess this is like a top seed facing a "very good Donald Young"

nadejda
03-14-2011, 10:50 PM

that was amazing! nice job, Kohli!

get well soon Sod!

samanosuke
03-14-2011, 10:50 PM
when you think that you have seen all with nadal's draws , our rafito always surprises

Arkulari
03-14-2011, 10:53 PM
it's not Rafa's fault that the seeds on his side are falling like flies, but this makes that no RafaTard can complain about easy draws for Roger or anyone else, it's just a stroke of luck or not ;)

Chiakifug
03-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Kohli :bigclap:

Vamos Rafa! Get in the Final, now! :worship:

KEEP HATING, HATERS!!! :devil:

:retard:

ZaZoo)
when you think that you have seen all with nadal's draws , our rafito always surprises

It's never in doubt. :zzz:

Norrage
People are blaming it all on Soderling's bad performance but are forgetting that Kohli always plays incredible against Soderling. The only difference that Soderlings 'injury' is making is that Kohli beat him in straights instead of in a third set tiebreak....

DrJules
03-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Had Soderling not been injured, he would've won, no doubt.

Rest up for Miami, Robin!
You can kick ass there!

False.

Kohlschreiber leads head to head 4-1 now and had match point in the match he lost.

They are usually close and Kohlschreiber seems to exploit the movement issues of Soderling.

Aenea
03-14-2011, 10:59 PM
This half of the DRAW :o:spit::zzz:

:lol:
you opened a match thread only to say that? I thought you had something to share about the match but no, you actually created the thread to whine about the draw. Not Nadal's fault Soderling is injured :shrug:

Riosreigned
03-14-2011, 11:03 PM
PK nice win vs. Sod. surprise as Sod is having a big year so far. is PK still coached by Miles McLaglan? for those who never saw this PK Q&A, you will like this...

http://tennis-prose.com/articles/biofile-with-philipp-kohlschreiber/

Thanos
03-14-2011, 11:05 PM
you opened a match thread only to say that? I thought you had something to share about the match but no, you actually created the thread to whine about the draw. Not Nadal's fault Soderling is shit and the worse number 4 since blake :shrug:

fixed.

it always good day for tennis when kohli wins.

henke007
03-14-2011, 11:07 PM
you opened a match thread only to say that? I thought you had something to share about the match but no, you actually created the thread to whine about the draw. Not Nadal's fault Soderling is injured :shrug:

Yeahh Nadal really had a tuff draw before Robin and Murray lost :o

About the match well Robin couldn't serve for shit and couldn't move to his FH, so without his biggest weapons he still played a tight match..

FiBeR
03-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Kohli :yeah:

Wow, what a quarter, both seed #4 and #5 are gone. Wide open...

but the real #4 is in action :rocker2:

Matt01
03-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Not sure what this match has to do with Nadal's draw but whatever :retard:

Söderking :sad:

Aenea
03-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Yeahh Nadal really had a tuff draw before Robin and Murray lost :o

About the match well Robin couldn't serve for shit and couldn't move to his FH, so without his biggest weapons he still played a tight match..

I never commented on the draw and never said anything about it being easy or tough for anyone of the seeds. But when I open a match thread especially for a match I couldn't watch I expect to read something useful about it. Even the thread title is more about Nadal being in the final :spit: than about Sod's loss/Phil's win. As for the match, thx for the info but I read it already from other posts.

Dini
03-14-2011, 11:22 PM
fixed.

:ras: x10

samanosuke
03-14-2011, 11:26 PM
soderling probably injured himself with so much chest pumping after beating all this mugs on MM tournaments

AgnRus
03-14-2011, 11:29 PM
Soderling said he should have never taken court vs Kohlschrieber due to left foot injury. Also was in bed for 5 days after DC w/ fever.
:sad:

evilmindbulgaria
03-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Poor haters, lamenting Rafa's draw more than commenting on the match :haha::haha::haha:

Congratulations, Kohli, no choking this time :yeah:

Orka_n
03-14-2011, 11:53 PM
Not good for Robin, not good at all. :sad: He doesn't need another injury now. Let's hope he's healthy come Miami.

Vida
03-14-2011, 11:57 PM
kohli saving the 1st set :yeah:

pity he isnt more consistent.

Certinfy
03-15-2011, 12:32 AM
Robin :o :hug:

Kohli :yeah: :)

Mungo
03-15-2011, 01:25 AM
Typical Nadal draw:o

A typical Nadal draw would be Rafa spanking Hewitt in 1st round before someone like Lu does it.

Sod failed in the two big events this year, he is the king of mug tourneys

ossie
03-15-2011, 01:26 AM
so many bitter haters here complaining about rafas draw why am i not surprised.

Mungo
03-15-2011, 01:29 AM
BTW anyone thought Soderling would beat Nadal in their current form? LOL Actually, if the Nadal haters were smart this would be good for them because Delpo got it easy now to the semis and he was the only one to challenge Nadal before the final.

Topspindoctor
03-15-2011, 01:30 AM

I was heavily anticipating Nadal/Soderking rematch. For fuck's sake.

Jomp1
03-15-2011, 01:33 AM
“I think I lost the match even before that. I think I lost the match when I decided to go on court, because today I shouldn't have done that… Sitting here after the match, it feels like I couldn't give 100 per cent.”

Too stubborn :o

Pirata.
03-15-2011, 02:20 AM
“I think I lost the match even before that. I think I lost the match when I decided to go on court, because today I shouldn't have done that… Sitting here after the match, it feels like I couldn't give 100 per cent.”

Too stubborn :o

He gets the same paycheck whether he plays or not right? Why didn't he just withdraw?

These guys :o

Topspindoctor
03-15-2011, 02:23 AM
He gets the same paycheck whether he plays or not right? Why didn't he just withdraw?

Because he loves the game and doesn't want to seem like a quitter. Be glad there are guys like him on the tour.

hyperren
03-15-2011, 02:31 AM

Funny, some people would complain even more if he withdrew. So I guess if you're an injured player, (1) you're a mug if you play while injured; (2) you're a mug if you retire during a match because you're injured; or (3) you're a mug if you withdrew because you're injured.

straitup
03-15-2011, 02:35 AM
Kohli :yeah: Has been awhile since one of his upset wins, good tourney for him to maybe get his ranking back up a little bit.

Nole fan
03-15-2011, 03:01 AM
This draw. :spit:

Corey Feldman
03-15-2011, 03:16 AM

I was heavily anticipating Nadal/Soderking rematch. For fuck's sake.who you kidding

we all know you pee yourself when Soder, Fed, Murray or Denko are in Nadal's draw

kingroger
03-15-2011, 04:48 AM
you can't just excuse Kohli's win with Söderlings injury.... Kohli played great from the Tiebreak on, especially when he faced those 5 set points.... To save them with aces or return winners is pretty strong...

Of course it's possible that Soderling would have closed out the first set if he wasn't injured.... but that was not the case :)

So it was just a good and hard fought win from Kohlschreiber, hopefully he'll win the next match

The Magician
03-15-2011, 06:32 AM
Soda get better :sad:

I was heavily anticipating Nadal/Soderking rematch. For fuck's sake.

Even the biggest tard is upset at what a joke this draw is :eek:

FormerRafaFan
03-15-2011, 02:08 PM
I guess Soderling can say anything he wants, and people will still accept it. But every little thing Rafa says will have people ripping him to shreds.. gotta love the double standard here on MTF!

Orka_n
03-15-2011, 02:32 PM
I guess Soderling can say anything he wants, and people will still accept it. But every little thing Rafa says will have people ripping him to shreds.. gotta love the double standard here on MTF!Yeah... the thing is, Robin doesn't normally make excuses like this. So when he does, people actually believe him. Nadal, on the other hand, simply cannot lose if he's not injured. That's the difference.

orangehat
03-15-2011, 02:36 PM
to be fair to nadal, he doesnt always say he's injured when he loses. in fact, he doesnt say that very much actually.

its his mtf nadulltard fanbase that always insists he's injured when he loses, like

"HE COULDNT RETRIEVE, HE'S OBVIOUSLY INJURED!!!!!!!!!!!" and stuff.

henke007
03-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Yeah... the thing is, Robin doesn't normally make excuses like this. So when he does, people actually believe him. Nadal, on the other hand, simply cannot lose if he's not injured. That's the difference.

So true :o

nalbyfan
03-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Will Robin be able to play Miami ? Hope his injury is not too serious

henke007
03-15-2011, 02:56 PM
I think he will be able. I am sure he didn't have so much time for rehab and prep since he was in bed with fever and stuff after DC and before his Saturday start, now he has a couple weeks to rest up.