IW Round 2: Milos serves up a plate of Fish and Chips 7-5 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

IW Round 2: Milos serves up a plate of Fish and Chips 7-5 6-4

156mphserve
03-14-2011, 05:38 AM
he looked a little ill from what I saw, called the trainer in the first set, faced 3 break points when he served for the match, but he fought his way through:yeah:

another WC Harrison up next:)

Pirata.
03-14-2011, 05:38 AM
wUaMzsNKR7Q

Young 8
03-14-2011, 05:40 AM
http://heartstrong.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/fried_fish.jpg

KaiserT
Good fight from Raonic, showed his winning mentality despite having problems with either his back or his abdominals or both.

Fish was pretty disgusting when it mattered, loser.

philosophicalarf
Fish 0/8bps converted, 0/2 saved.

A perfect fail.

GlennMirnyi
wUaMzsNKR7Q

You bloody well right.

Another game for Milos!

Action Jackson
Montenegro's finest taking out the Fish, love it. 0/8 break point conversion from Fishy.

Mr. Butterfly
Fish's back-to-back dropshots at *5-5 to give Raonic his only break point of the set, and ultimately the break were truly epic.

navy75
Raonic-Harrison = VERY interesting

Raonic/Harrison-Federer = a great chance for a learning experience

Pirata.
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/4448/milos.gif

:yeah:

Filo V.
03-14-2011, 05:41 AM
Not that good of a match quality wise, but Raonic, the much younger and less experienced player, showed the professionalism and winning mentality that Fish lacked tonight. Mardy had this match in his hands but didn't get the job done. Great win for Milos from a toughness standpoint.

FiBeR
03-14-2011, 05:42 AM
whats with the injury ? what has he got?

Young 8
whats with the injury ? what has he got?

Fish ?

Brain Injury

viruzzz
FFFFFFFFFFFFFF*****K
This kid is so cool.

tennishero
03-14-2011, 05:43 AM
pathetic match, losing to an injured ace machine... fish should retire.

Filo V.
Mardy seemed hobbled at the end, Raonic had his back issues and seemed a bit sick, a pretty physical and mentally draining match. Harrison's outlook for an R4 stadium match with Roger got much brighter.

abraxas21
Fish ?

Brain Injury

:lol:

FiBeR
03-14-2011, 05:44 AM
Im still impressed by how Raonic plays. He is definately on another league. Been following his rise closely and what amazes me most is the clear mind he has: he manages to play and open up the court to places hardly any other player does. He is very smart, and surely knows where to place the ball to win a point. Just love those small details that makes all the difference

Voo de Mar
03-14-2011, 05:44 AM
Raonic is soooo good :yeah: It's hard to believe he was losing 12 months ago at the Futures level to total nobodies like Mertens, Oger, Mergea, Renard & De Greef :o :o

He impresses me with tactical choices in service games at 0-30 or break point down. Despite his powerful serve he seeks variety in the most important moments, very clever player, I'm looking forward for his potential match with Fed.

fast_clay
03-14-2011, 05:45 AM
wUaMzsNKR7Q

the quotability of this vid will be unrivalled in mtf history...

Filo V.
03-14-2011, 05:45 AM
Milos didn't kill Mardy with aces, he hit his obvious big ones, but a lot of his serves were just the same ones, kick/slice out wide, and Mardy didn't do a good job of countering this, so it was smart of Milos to continue hitting these serves. Milos' serve wasn't as good as usual, probably due to the conditions and his back. But he outplayed Mardy from the baseline.

Action Jackson
03-14-2011, 05:47 AM
Vamos El Caballo Blanco working the magic with Raonic.

Arkulari
03-14-2011, 05:49 AM
If Roger makes it as far to face this kid, that would be an interesting match.

Ashlar77
03-14-2011, 05:52 AM
Nice composure and guts as always from Milos to close out Fish in straights despite his physical woes tonight. :yeah:

tektonac
03-14-2011, 05:53 AM
would love to see raonic kick serve to rochus or dudi sela :lol:

Fretchap
03-14-2011, 05:53 AM
Fish's back-to-back dropshots at *5-5 to give Raonic his only break point of the set, and ultimately the break were truly epic.

I was cheering for Milos, but I honestly thought like "What a brainfart" when seeing these two missed drop shots. Even more the second one, it was not such a wise shot selection.

tennisfan856
03-14-2011, 05:59 AM
This was a very painful match to watch, from the lack of quality to the amount of choking from fish. Also, both these guys take way too long to serve and kill the flow of a match. Nice job milos, but mardy really was putrid tonight from the baseline positioning to those idiotic drop shots.

Kat_YYZ
03-14-2011, 06:01 AM
another match for Milos :yeah:

Filo V.
03-14-2011, 06:06 AM
This was a very painful match to watch, from the lack of quality to the amount of choking from fish. Also, both these guys take way too long to serve and kill the flow of a match. Nice job milos, but mardy really was putrid tonight from the baseline positioning to those idiotic drop shots.

It was a bad match in terms of qualify for the most part, but I did enjoy the intensity in terms of the crowd and also Milos' mentality and grit. But yes, it was not good play out there and I agree about the time between serves. Mardy is usually faster but I think he was trying to throw off Milos' rhythm.

Mardy's FH is SO much of a liability against top players, which is why he rarely beats them. He just rolls that in with nothing on it during rallies, doesn't return well on it, and isn't consistent even in simply rolling it. Missed at least 4 pretty simple passing shots on the FH, all during critical points. The same old, same old for the majority of Mardy's career.

The Magician
03-14-2011, 06:07 AM
Pretty good summary of USA tennis. The mediocre old american who is still one of the best prospect we have gets beat by the young talented Canadian. Glad to see Raonic win but Fish has been a clown his whole career, good to see that's not changing in his twilight years :o

Pirata.
03-14-2011, 06:10 AM
If Roger makes it as far to face this kid, that would be an interesting match.

If Roger makes it, not when :lol:

tennisfan856
03-14-2011, 06:14 AM
It was a bad match in terms of qualify for the most part, but I did enjoy the intensity in terms of the crowd and also Milos' mentality and grit. But yes, it was not good play out there and I agree about the time between serves. Mardy is usually faster but I think he was trying to throw off Milos' rhythm.

Mardy's FH is SO much of a liability against top players, which is why he rarely beats them. He just rolls that in with nothing on it during rallies, doesn't return well on it, and isn't consistent even in simply rolling it. Missed at least 4 pretty simple passing shots on the FH, all during critical points. The same old, same old for the majority of Mardy's career.

that's what was so shocking to me, fish normally plays fast but he took 25-30 seconds each point and it drove me nuts. The intensity was a nice sight and the energy was good, but the crowd was dying for more rallies or something to roar about. Milos is very deliberate in his service games, whatever works for him but it gets tiring to wait and see. I'd be that one bastard umpire holding a stopwatch in between serves and tell them to hurry up.

osmonde
03-14-2011, 06:14 AM
The crowd was quite alive in 2nd set, equally loud for both players.
Another american ahead will be a thriller. He's so focus,:eek: remarquable.

Elbarto
03-14-2011, 06:41 AM
poor performance from both players,

Raonic looked ill, the ace machine was out of order ( only 10 aces ), he managed to win the match with courage but it was painful to watch,

and Fish took wrong decisions, too much chokes on break points,

I hope Raonic will take good rest before his next round, otherwise the Raonic bandwagon can brutally derail against Harrison

allpro
03-14-2011, 08:40 AM
the baby-faced assassin strikes again! :yeah:

Topspindoctor
03-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Expected. Fish is a mug. Can't even beat an all serve journeyman like Raonic anymore. Time to be thinking about retirement.

duong
03-14-2011, 10:56 AM
do you actually watch any tennis or just read scores? Your posts amaze me more and more every day.

I rather wonder about you :confused:

Filo V. is right.

From what I watched, and when you look at the stats, Raonic clearly didn't win thanks to his serve : Fish won more points on first serve (85% to 71%) and less on second (42% to 58%)

but Fish clearly didn't take his opportunities and was weak when Raonic had some.

ossie
03-14-2011, 11:36 AM
saw this coming, fish doesn't have enough game outside of his serve to beat raonic.

FormerRafaFan
03-14-2011, 11:43 AM

Filo V. is right.

From what I watched, and when you look at the stats, Raonic clearly didn't win thanks to his serve : Fish won more points on first serve (85% to 71%) and less on second (42% to 58%)

but Fish clearly didn't take his opportunities and was weak when Raonic had some.

Uhm.. Raonic was injured, had a medical timeout.. and some people actually said that it looked like he was lacking in energy, so they thought he might have the flu. Seriously, of course his serve lets him down when he's ill! I just hope he's healthy enough to play on tuesday..

ExcaliburII
03-14-2011, 11:47 AM

Filo V. is right.

Actually yes, i watched and I watch most of the matches I comment on (and had a stream available) :)

Fish played very bad match, Raonic was a lot worse than he usually is, Fish couldnt just step in when needed

Vida
03-14-2011, 11:48 AM
knew it. a 20 y. old kid with brains and that serve should not lose to fish.

duong
03-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Actually yes, i watched and I watch most of the matches I comment on (and had a stream available) :)

Fish played very bad match, Raonic was a lot worse than he usually is, Fish couldnt just step in when needed

Filo V also watched it, I think, at least what he says is quite what I saw :shrug:

yes Fish played badly and Raonic's serve was not as good as usual, but Raonic's baseline game was not bad and from the stats he won thanks to that rather than thanks to his serve.

In the games I saw (not all match) his baseline game was good indeed, his forehand was penetrative and his backhand not bad, even with some winners, which was not always the case in the matches I saw from Raonic.

ExcaliburII
03-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Filo V also watched it, I think, at least what he says is quite what I saw :shrug:

yes Fish played badly and Raonic's serve was not as good as usual, but Raonic's baseline game was not bad and from the stats he won thanks to that rather than thanks to his serve.

In the games I saw (not all match) his baseline game was good indeed, his forehand was penetrative and his backhand not bad, even with some winners, which was not always the case in the matches I saw from Raonic.
who said the contrary?

Still Raonic has to develop more game strategy, it looks as if he was just hitting the ball with no clue at all out there.

Dont get me wrong, I like Milos

timafi
03-14-2011, 01:51 PM
I wonder if Fish said that he could not wait until he met Raonic during the clay court season? :tape: http://www.dogproductshop.co.uk/smile/happy/happy0194.gif (http://www.dogproductshop.co.uk) http://www.dogproductshop.co.uk/smile/happy/happy0194.gif (http://www.dogproductshop.co.uk) http://www.dogproductshop.co.uk/smile/happy/happy0194.gif (http://www.dogproductshop.co.uk)

how can Fish in his right mind think he should be in the top 10 of men's tennis is beyond me but hell! if Blake got to 4 he sure can;unless all the better players get bird flu(and I am not including Andy Roddick since he is worthless on clay:tape:):rolleyes:

Fish and Murray after Miami won't be a factor until Queens:tape:

Snowwy
03-14-2011, 02:11 PM
who said the contrary?

Still Raonic has to develop more game strategy, it looks as if he was just hitting the ball with no clue at all out there.

Dont get me wrong, I like Milos

I agree, he still has a ways to go, but its unbelievable how he went from losing to De Graaf, to a allserve mug to a "complete" player in 12 months. His backhand seems better every week and his forehand has more variety ever match he plays. I don't like that he is seemingly not going to the net as much, but maybe that was just a strategy against Fish, I didn't see him play Ilhan.

tennizen
03-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Nice to see Raonic tough it out when not 100%. He is atm fearless on big points and keeps thinking which is good to see.

thrust
03-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Im still impressed by how Raonic plays. He is definately on another league. Been following his rise closely and what amazes me most is the clear mind he has: he manages to play and open up the court to places hardly any other player does. He is very smart, and surely knows where to place the ball to win a point. Just love those small details that makes all the difference

TRUE, AND WELL STATED!

Miss Molly
03-14-2011, 05:24 PM
He keeps winning matches where he's not playing well which is remarkable. He could have gotten pissed off and imploded but he didn't.

Certinfy
03-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Too good :yeah:

Sapeod
03-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Milos winning is great for tennis.