IW R2: Roddick df Blake 6-3 7-5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

IW R2: Roddick df Blake 6-3 7-5

Silver.
03-13-2011, 09:22 PM
:woohoo: Solid performance from A-Rod, he has got to do well in the next few weeks.

Voo de Mar
03-13-2011, 09:23 PM
It's ridiculous how ATP cares about Blake. Before the tournament they announced he'd face Roddick in the second round. Who cares? Is it more interesting than Davydenko-Wawrinka or Raonic-Fish for instance? Blake has been useless for almost two years, really pointless taking time to deal with him :shrug:

timafi
03-13-2011, 09:24 PM
footwork and speed are gone :shrug:

no serve( not that he had a great one to begin with:tape:)

I fail to see how Blake at 31 will ever get back to his "best" :shrug:

scarecrows
03-13-2011, 09:25 PM
not a bad match from Blake, if he was more consistent he'd could have pulled this out
pathetic pushing from Duck once again

Swim4life227
03-13-2011, 09:27 PM
It's sad to me that Blake is such a shadow of his former self :( He has some good moments in that match though, for sure.

This is the most respectable Andy has looked all year. He was solid off the serve, great off the ground, good movement, and some of those passing shots were great. He needs to improve though if he wants to make it deep. With the draw though, he should be able to make the QFs.

JamieBlake
03-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Good stuff from both, I was impressed with James at some parts of the match

finishingmove
03-13-2011, 09:28 PM
never in doubt

tangerine_dream
03-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Andy called a double-bounce on himself when the chair umpire missed it. :cool:

Kinda feel bad for James :hug: but, as someone else said on twitter, at least he didn't lose to Donald Young.

It's ridiculous how ATP cares about Blake. Before the tournament they announced he'd face Roddick in the second round. Who cares? Is it more interesting than Davydenko-Wawrinka or Raonic-Fish for instance? Blake has been useless for almost two years, really pointless taking time to deal with him :shrug:
Judging by the response Blake got from the crowd, I'd say IW was within their rights to hype him. He's very popular, regardless of what MTFers think of him. :shrug:

Sofonda Cox
03-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Stupid Flake losing to that.

scarecrows
03-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Andy called a double-bounce on himself when the chair umpire missed it. :cool:

was it 0-0 in the 2nd set?

DrJules
03-13-2011, 09:31 PM
If Roddick can serve over 70% and keep mentally tight in tie-breaks he could go far.

On a good serving day could give Djokovic problems in potential quarter final.

Johnny Groove
Some flashes of the old Blake, surely, but also some errors, footwork was a bit off, and he's not nearly as fast as he once was, though still rather quick.

Roddick pushed and pushed and pushed his way to victory :o

Nadull_tard
All-American face off. Rodmug against semi-retired guy playing mostly for fun. It couldn't end other way.

Voo de Mar
03-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Judging by the response Blake got from the crowd, I'd say IW was within their rights to hype him. He's very popular, regardless of what MTFers think of him. :shrug:

He's got great PR. There's an illusion he's a threat and dropped in the ranking due to injuries, very naive :o

Tommy_Vercetti
03-13-2011, 09:36 PM

Because of all the special attention he got/gets. Most casual fans probably think Blake is some kind of elite player because of how much press and featured matches he got. And not just in the US.

DrJules
03-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Some flashes of the old Blake, surely, but also some errors, footwork was a bit off, and he's not nearly as fast as he once was, though still rather quick.

Roddik pushed and pushed and pushed his way to victory :o

Better to push and push rather than miss and miss.

I bet you wish you could serve like Roddick.

JamieBlake
03-13-2011, 09:39 PM

Uh, yes?

I think that we could see a bit of James's best tennis here when he was 100 % motivated

Voo de Mar
03-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Blake is chanceless against players around Top 50, he's nobody for Roddick ATM. How can he be competitive for Roddick when he loses in straight sets to Kendrick and Nishikori in the States? :shrug:

Orka_n
03-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Uh, yes?Uh, no.

JamieBlake
03-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Well it was a fun match to watch :o

Blue Heart24
03-13-2011, 10:00 PM
There were flashes of great shotmaking from Blake,but he just doesnt look fit enough to play near his old level.Maybe he should retire at the end of the season.His movement really very far from what it was.

fast_clay
03-13-2011, 10:05 PM
There were flashes of great shotmaking from Blake,but he just doesnt look fit enough to play near his old level.Maybe he should retire at the end of the season.His movement really very far from what it was.

tfc has spoken :worship: it is truth... blake needs to stop impersonating a tennis pro...

Certinfy
03-13-2011, 10:08 PM
If any player that could move had Blake's FH they would be top 20 for sure.

vn01
03-13-2011, 10:09 PM
NID. Roddick is much better than Blake now. James is already 31. He'll retire in 1-2 years, I suppose :sad:

Roddick vs. Isner should be a good match :)

Fee
03-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Blake doesn't like the shoes that Fila has made for him, so he's gone back to Nikes with the logo taped up. He doesn't like any of the new racquets so he's in a desperate search to find any of his old racquets still in existence because Dunlop won't remold any for him. His knee is messed up, his shoulder is messed up. He's 31 years old.

Honestly, I hope he's already made a phone call to Harvard to return to classes after the USO this year.

samanosuke
03-13-2011, 10:37 PM

Almost like Safin last 2 years of his carrier . He was treated better than when he was at his peak . He couldn't beat anyone but he had been treated like goat . Getting WC's all the time for the first round embarrassment defeats , playing in prime time and main courts even against unknown opponents, always in media focus ... I liked Marat and I am always for showing respect for great champions but what is too much is too much

FlameOn
03-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Pushing won. A travesty. :tears:

james82
03-14-2011, 12:24 AM
Blake wasnt that bad,he went for his shots which is good fun to watch

ExcaliburII
03-14-2011, 12:29 AM
5 more matches Andy

Mario Sharapov
03-14-2011, 01:09 AM
Well done Andy ;)

Corey Feldman
03-14-2011, 01:27 AM
:zzz:

who is the next tomato can put in his way

Filo V.
03-14-2011, 05:29 AM
I'll wait and see until the summer HC season where James is to make a determination on if he should continue his career, but based on what I saw today and have seen this season so far, I don't see James being anything more than a back-end top 100 player at the most. There just isn't much there anymore, and A-Rod was decent but even said himself, sort of was feeling out James and he felt James was hitting out of his shoes and trying to blast a winner at any opportunity. I see absolutely no way he can beat the top players at this point, and since that's where he wants to be, he's got some questions to ask himself in the near future.

The Magician
03-14-2011, 05:31 AM
Not sure we all watched the same match, Blake was the better player and if it wasn't for key serving in the 2nd by DickRod Blake would have won that set easily and possibly the match. Difference here is Blake kept coming to net which made no sense. Not only was Blake awful at net, DickRod doesn't have the firepower to hit winners from the baseline so really no reason to come in.

Blake showing he could still get a 250 in the states and make a couple deep runs with a good draw in masters. If you're going to be a veteran player you have to be wily and experienced like Ljubo and Clement for example, Blake played this match very strategically poorly and needs to start thinking more out there. In my opinion he still has the power to win on fast HC (especially Cinci), just has to run around the backhand more, come to net less, and serve better.

Go JB :aparty:

heya
03-14-2011, 05:55 AM
Roddick looks ready to retire too.
Didn't move fast since the year 2004,
and often couldn't serve smartly or move his arm after serving.
2nd set, he felt sorry for his hero homeboy so he got broken at 15-40 when he already gave up at 0-40! wife was scared and bored.
All throughout, he embarrassingly didn't try to reach for a ball near him versus Blake.

new-york
03-14-2011, 01:30 PM
wasn't expecting a win, but lord please do something.