Which doubted player will win a Grand Slam? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which doubted player will win a Grand Slam?

Mountaindewslave
03-13-2011, 08:12 PM
do you think will win a Grand Slam? which player that the majority of the tennis community has lost faith in or thinks doesn't have the skills/mentality to get the grand slam? I would say Richard Gasquet. I just cannot fathom the idea he does not win a grand slam in the next few years, so much talent unused!

abraxas21
03-13-2011, 08:21 PM
andy murray.

gasquet won't.

barahmasa
03-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Gasquet? Are you serious?
Murray, currently a total disappointment, has a potential to win a major if he ever heals mentally. But he has a lot of work to do before that...

Sapeod
03-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Murray, of course.
He WILL win, no matter what the haters say.
Just because he loses some bad matches, doesn't mean he never will.
That's called bad logic and wishful thinking by the haters.

Orka_n
03-13-2011, 08:30 PM
I'd say Murray, but most of the tennis world already agrees that he probably will win one sooner or later.

So right now... Soderling. Despite his ranking he is somehow still flying under the radar. Robin is just being lumped together with Berdych more often than not, only considered "dangerous when on". Media is still considering Murray to be the "real #4".
Meanwhile, Robin has a 18-1 record in 2011 and is in the form of his life.

Elbarto
03-13-2011, 08:31 PM
do you think will win a Grand Slam? which player that the majority of the tennis community has lost faith in or thinks doesn't have the skills/mentality to get the grand slam?

Monfils, Roland Garros 2013

Blackbriar
03-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Monfils will watch RG 2013 on tv.

Certinfy
03-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Robin!!! :)

ossie
03-13-2011, 08:39 PM
dolgo, dont see sod or muzza winning a slam anytime soon.

shiaben
03-13-2011, 08:50 PM
do you think will win a Grand Slam? which player that the majority of the tennis community has lost faith in or thinks doesn't have the skills/mentality to get the grand slam? I would say Richard Gasquet. I just cannot fathom the idea he does not win a grand slam in the next few years, so much talent unused!

You must be joking, right?

While Gasquet has one of the finest backhands in the world, he's still far away from being a complete talent. The same goes for Andy Murray.

Gasquet's major weakness is his inability to finish off matches when they go to the distance (one reason why he'll never win).

Another major weakness is his forehand. I don't believe he makes too many mistakes off of it. The major problem with the forehand is just the lack of power as well as the lack of distance. It's one of the most tiniest forehands in the entire ATP. Opponents can attack it all day if necessary to avoid his monster of a backhand.

His serve % is not high enough to take him deep either from what I've seen of him.

Dougie
03-13-2011, 08:56 PM
I'd say Murray, but most of the tennis world already agrees that he probably will win one sooner or later.

So right now... Soderling. Despite his ranking he is somehow still flying under the radar. Robin is just being lumped together with Berdych more often than not, only considered "dangerous when on". Media is still considering Murray to be the "real #4".
Meanwhile, Robin has a 18-1 record in 2011 and is in the form of his life.

Actually I think quite a lot of the tennis world is starting to think he´s had his chances and won´t bounce back.

Orka_n
03-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Actually I think quite a lot of the tennis world is starting to think he´s had his chances and won´t bounce back.In a year or so perhaps. But currently he is still one of the "big 4" (even though he's #5 now) and viewed as one of the most talented guys out there. Which is true.
That said, I'm no fan myself and imo if he wants to win a slam he has some things to work on still.

Arkulari
03-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Murray or Soderling

StoGas
03-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Berankis in 2018!!! :banana:

Mountaindewslave
03-13-2011, 09:21 PM
You must be joking, right?

While Gasquet has one of the finest backhands in the world, he's still far away from being a complete talent. The same goes for Andy Murray.

Gasquet's major weakness is his inability to finish off matches when they go to the distance (one reason why he'll never win).

Another major weakness is his forehand. I don't believe he makes too many mistakes off of it. The major problem with the forehand is just the lack of power as well as the lack of distance. It's one of the most tiniest forehands in the entire ATP. Opponents can attack it all day if necessary to avoid his monster of a backhand.

His serve % is not high enough to take him deep either from what I've seen of him.

really? Not at all joking. Gasquet's forehand just is NOT that bad. when he is on it still may lack great power but he can hit some great angles with it. of course his backhand is what is noted but it is absurd to say that Gasquet at his best is THAT far from Grand Slam winning level. when he was at his best (2006/7?) he frequently challenged Roger Federer who at the time was in HIS prime. Assuming Gasquet could improve upon his level from back then (although this would seem unlikely given the last few years) and could somehow get past his choking nature and become mentally very stable, he would certainly be able to win a Grand Slam. the forehand just is not that bad, Gasquet is a great mover too! Assuming Gasquet is fully healthy and in the groove of things and serves at a high percentage for a particular Grand Slam it is not that much a stretch to say he could take one in a few years. Of course this is all hypothetical and dependent on him IMPROVING in several aspects- the talent is clearly there, it's just whether or not he figures out how to really put his tools together in building something

tennishero
03-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Murray, of course.
He WILL win, no matter what the haters say.
Just because he loses some bad matches, doesn't mean he never will.
That's called bad logic and wishful thinking by the haters.

its also called wishful thinking by the murraytards

ps: don says hi

http://assets.usta.com/assets/1/15/Young_Donald1.jpg

shiaben
If Gasquet ever reaches his optimum point, it will probably be good enough to carry him either to a 4th round or a QF (if he's lucky), I just don't see him getting back into this at all. He didn't challenge Federer much at all. Only won one match and was lucky to do so; was in the zone that day.

shiaben

Only a smile a mother can love :)

abraxas21
03-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Murray or Soderling

i like soderling but he aint good enough.

he's a good player on hardcourts but still behind olderer, faker and even pocahontas.

on clay, he's proven he can beat the very best but only under extremely humid conditions so chances are he won't win RG either.

abraxas21
03-13-2011, 09:46 PM
Only a smile a mother can love :)

thats a sweet face, imo.

so shut your hole.

Sapeod
03-13-2011, 09:48 PM

I like Don.
He seems cool, too bad he's a crap player most of the time.
Maybe the win against Murray will help him?
Probably not...

Mountaindewslave
03-13-2011, 09:50 PM
If Gasquet ever reaches his optimum point, it will probably be good enough to carry him either to a 4th round or a QF (if he's lucky), I just don't see him getting back into this at all. He didn't challenge Federer much at all. Only won one match and was lucky to do so; was in the zone that day.

Gasquet has already gotten to a Wimbledon SF...... assuming he hit a 'prime' level that was greater than any point in the past, he certainly could win a Grand Slam.

Orka_n
03-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Gasquet has already gotten to a Wimbledon SF...... assuming he hit a 'prime' level that was greater than any point in the past, he certainly could win a Grand Slam.Yes, but there's too many ifs.

"If he could make drastic improvements in the areas where he is currently poor, then he could win a slam" - Well, yes, but that goes for most guys in the top 20. If you start thinking like that, the speculations have no end.

shiaben
03-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Gasquet has already gotten to a Wimbledon SF...... assuming he hit a 'prime' level that was greater than any point in the past, he certainly could win a Grand Slam.

There have been millions of players who have reached SF's, F's, and even won slams, and they were pushers, mugs, and one dimensional players, what's the point?

I really don't see Gasquet getting back into this and the results will speak for themselves.

Elbarto
03-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Monfils will watch RG 2013 on tv.

Monfils has bad reputation here but he is still the frenchman who has the best chances to win a grand slam despite his failings,

he can play like a shit but he has proved he can reach quarter and semi at Roland Garros ( and in 2009 he had knees problem ), playing a grand slam in his country will give him more motivation and concentration,

Gasquet seems to be manufactured with "porcelain" matter , unable to stay injury-free for grass season ( wimbledon ) and too much chokes in his carrer, it's not a reliable player for the grand slams,

same problem for Tsonga ( maybe worst, he is getting older and he plays a risky and hazardous game style )

Blackbriar
03-13-2011, 10:19 PM
only time will tell.

Silver.
03-13-2011, 10:25 PM
I'd say Murray. Well he's the most likely. I personally don't think he'll do it, unfortunately.

PS: I think Murray is the one with a smile only his mother could love..

http://betting.betfair.com/tennis/AndyMurray-Geeky.JPG

Mountaindewslave
03-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Yes, but there's too many ifs.

"If he could make drastic improvements in the areas where he is currently poor, then he could win a slam" - Well, yes, but that goes for most guys in the top 20. If you start thinking like that, the speculations have no end.

All Gasquet needs is to improve his serve and get his form back to what it was a few years ago.... the talent is with him like it is not with your average player, this is not so much a speculation of 'what if something magically improves' as it is a speculation of if Gasquet will put the talent that HE DOES have together. it's already there

Mountaindewslave
03-13-2011, 10:46 PM
There have been millions of players who have reached SF's, F's, and even won slams, and they were pushers, mugs, and one dimensional players, what's the point?

I really don't see Gasquet getting back into this and the results will speak for themselves.

you're right the results will speak for themselves, I obviously have an unpopular opinion that I think Gasquet will win a Grand Slam. However, he's not a mug at all, he's one of the most talented players on tour; if he just grasps all of that talent and pulls a sort of Berdych (reaching his potential) than Gasquet could win something big.

navy75
03-13-2011, 10:55 PM
I like Murray (or at least I used to like him), but I simply don't see him winning a Grand Slam. He has made multiple comments that indicates to me that deep down he knows that he doesn't have the fortitude to win one either.

I'll also go with Dolgopolov stepping up and taking one sometime down the road...

Blackbriar
03-13-2011, 11:02 PM
The problem right now is the overwhelming confidence of top 3 in GS, it's really hard to stop them.

Orka_n
03-13-2011, 11:09 PM
All Gasquet needs is to improve his serve and get his form back to what it was a few years ago.... the talent is with him like it is not with your average player, this is not so much a speculation of 'what if something magically improves' as it is a speculation of if Gasquet will put the talent that HE DOES have together. it's already thereNo, Gasquet's biggest problem is his weak mentality. His serve and forehand comes second.

But pure talent is overrated, there are hundreds of under-achievers in this sport.

fast_clay
03-13-2011, 11:43 PM
I like Murray (or at least I used to like him), but I simply don't see him winning a Grand Slam. He has made multiple comments that indicates to me that deep down he knows that he doesn't have the fortitude to win one either.

I'll also go with Dolgopolov stepping up and taking one sometime down the road...

the tanking vs wawrinka at uso '10 and what i have bolded in your post go hand in hand... from a murray fans perspective it's very sad to see him at this young age already crack against media and public expectation and start forgiving himself for maybe never winning a grand slam re: the comment: '...i don't know if i'll ever win a grand slam...'

then again no player since lendl has gone 0-3 in slam finals...

that said lendl went 0-4 before filling his trophy cabinet pretty handy like...

so murray hopefully even tho the doubts are getting massive

gasquet yeah... mentally frail... needs a hug hourly... french... shitty forehand... he won't get close...

AncicCilic
03-14-2011, 12:19 AM
the tanking vs wawrinka at uso '10 and what i have bolded in your post go hand in hand... from a murray fans perspective it's very sad to see him at this young age already crack against media and public expectation and start forgiving himself for maybe never winning a grand slam re: the comment: '...i don't know if i'll ever win a grand slam...'

then again no player since lendl has gone 0-3 in slam finals...
that said lendl went 0-4 before filling his trophy cabinet pretty handy like...

so murray hopefully even tho the doubts are getting massive

gasquet yeah... mentally frail... needs a hug hourly... french... shitty forehand... he won't get close...

Not too important but small correction - Ivanisevic was 0-3 down (all Wimbledon) before finally winning in 2001.

networthy
03-14-2011, 12:59 AM
I'll say Cilic, in 2 or 3 years.

yuri27
03-14-2011, 01:18 AM
No, Gasquet's biggest problem is his weak mentality. His serve and forehand comes second.

But pure talent is overrated, there are hundreds of under-achievers in this sport.

Gasquet has a chance at Wimbledon in the future if he gets his act together but that's about it.

Blackbriar
03-14-2011, 01:04 PM
to OP, it's courageous trying to defend Gasquet on MTF where 80% of people consider him a mug. On the other hand if you say that any other player than Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Del Potro will win a GS you are considered a :retard:
leitmotiv on MTF board is 100% conservative, no one new will ever win a GS, unless Nadal & Djokovic are injured :retard: and i'm trying to make them look intelligent, but of course it's completely impossible.

KaiserT
03-14-2011, 01:09 PM
to OP, it's courageous trying to defend Gasquet on MTF where 80% of people consider him a mug. On the other hand if you say that any other player than Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Del Potro will win a GS you are considered a :retard:
leitmotiv on MTF board is 100% conservative, no one new will ever win a GS, unless Nadal & Djokovic are injured :retard: and i'm trying to make them look intelligent, but of course it's completely impossible.

You think Gasquet can win a slam? :lol:

Bad fitness, and plays so far behind the baseline he's largely ineffective against good players. Plus a weak serve and fh.

He's not even in the players who could have an amazing two weeks and get some luck along the way.... he doesn't even have a sluggers chance.

Blackbriar
03-14-2011, 02:15 PM
You think Gasquet can win a slam? :lol:

Bad fitness, and plays so far behind the baseline he's largely ineffective against good players. Plus a weak serve and fh.

He's not even in the players who could have an amazing two weeks and get some luck along the way.... he doesn't even have a sluggers chance.

I did not say once Gasquet can win a GS.
You proove my point. obviously, beyond the guys who already won, you must think that it's impossible for anyone to win a slam. except the big canadian queer, i suppose :rolleyes:

KaiserT
03-14-2011, 02:35 PM
I did not say once Gasquet can win a GS.
You proove my point. obviously, beyond the guys who already won, you must think that it's impossible for anyone to win a slam. except the big canadian queer, i suppose :rolleyes:

No, I don't. But there aren't many guys who are capable of winning a slam outside the top few without some obscene luck along the way. Like most I expect Djokovic and Nadal to dominate slams for the next few years. Soderling could take one, possibly, and Del Potro will be around...... I've given up on Murray. Dolgopolov and Raonic are the youngsters with biggest upside.

Who else is there? There is nobody else who even looks to have slam winning potential.

Blackbriar
03-14-2011, 02:51 PM
and someone else will win one, and you will look completely mesmerized.

KaiserT
03-14-2011, 02:58 PM
and someone else will win one, and you will look completely mesmerized.

I don't rule it out, but it would take a huge amount of of luck based on the talent currently around.

A Thomas Johanson wont be winning a slam any time soon :lol: