Indian Wells 2011 - Woohoo for X-man!!! Singles? What Singles???? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Indian Wells 2011 - Woohoo for X-man!!! Singles? What Singles????

Castafiore
03-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Official tournament website:
BNP Paribas Open: Indian Wells, California - March 7-20, 2011 (http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/)

Singles draw:
on pdf file (http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2011/404/mds.pdf)

rafa_maniac
03-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Qf

MariaV
03-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Uhhh, I don't know what to pick, let's go with W, he needs to win a tournament again and IW actually suits him.

FormerRafaFan
03-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Is this the competition thread or the cheering thread?

MariaV
03-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Is this the competition thread or the cheering thread?

It's the competition thread, I don't think we've done much cheering in Rafa forum but you can cheer here or in your chat thread. :shrug: I prefer to just watch Rafa matches, not cheer online during them.

scoobs
03-11-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm saying W.

vn01
03-11-2011, 01:11 PM
SF

But I hope Rafa wins the tournament. VAMOS CHAMPION! :worship:

Sonja1989
03-11-2011, 01:13 PM
I hope he will play slowly his best after his injury...
Good luck Rafa!!! :D

tennizen
03-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Win

star
03-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Win

You're just wanting to jinx him :bigcry:

Metis
03-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Vamos :rocker2:

How far will Rafa go in IW? (1000 points :drool:)

1st - Bye
2nd -
3rd -
QF - rafa_maniac
SF - Metis, vn01
F -
W - MariaV, scoobs, tennizen

acionescu
03-11-2011, 04:56 PM
:speakles: MARRERO, David (ESP)/VERDASCO, Fernando (ESP) :speakles:

After Susan and Tim, Scarlett and Ryan, Justin and Jessica, another legendary couple says adieu :tears:

Betty
03-11-2011, 05:53 PM
sf

Yazoo.C
03-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Schedule of Play: Saturday 12th March

STADIUM 1 start 11:00 am
D Safina (RUS) vs [26] D Hantuchova (SVK) - WTA
J Del Potro (ARG) vs [14] I Ljubicic (CRO) - ATP
[1] C Wozniacki (DEN) vs [WC] S Stephens (USA) - WTA
[1] R Nadal (ESP) vs [Q] R de Voest (RSA) - ATP
Not Before 7:00 PM
A Medina Garrigues (ESP) vs [16] M Sharapova (RUS) - WTA
Not Before 8:30 PM
[4] R Soderling (SWE) vs M Berrer (GER) - ATP

FlameOn
03-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Great win!

born_on_clay
03-12-2011, 09:38 AM
great doubles win Rafa and Marc :hatoff:

MIT: WIN

Minn
03-12-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm debating between SF and W, which I think are the two most popular choices so far. Let's go with W.

vn01
03-13-2011, 08:55 AM
Good start for Rafa. 6-0 6-2 :D VAMOS :wavey:

born_on_clay
03-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Great start Rafa :hatoff:

klyne
03-13-2011, 11:30 AM
yeah, he played well tonight..great win..i love how he forces De Voest to commit errors..great start..vamos:D

Metis
03-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Update:

1st - Bye
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
QF - rafa_maniac
SF - Betty, Metis, vn01
F -
W - born_on_clay, MariaV, Minn, scoobs, tennizen

I am very disappointed in you people. These are unacceptably low levels of participation for an 1000 event. :( I know it looks like I'm going to win the competition this year, but that's not a reason to stop trying. :rolleyes:

Sonja1989
03-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Good start! :yeah:
Rafa seems very good, I think he find his good form. :) I'm hopeful, Sweeting should be easy even so he looks good.

acionescu
03-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Hilde :lol: :hug:

JolánGagó
03-14-2011, 12:21 PM
OMG! :haha:

Last edited by Castafiore : Today at 11:07 AM. Reason: deleted most of the info because nobody gives a **** anyway

that was dramaqueenery of almost laptop-throwing JM-esque proportions :speakles:

:tape:

MariaV
03-14-2011, 12:36 PM

Last edited by Castafiore : Today at 11:07 AM. Reason: deleted most of the info because nobody gives a **** anyway

that was dramaqueenery of almost laptop-throwing JM-esque proportions :speakles:

That's our drama queens here. :shrug: :D

star
03-14-2011, 03:48 PM

It was totally a JM moment -- well more than a moment. :lol: :lol: :lol:

EPIC tantrum. Worthy of a Monday morning.

Getta
03-14-2011, 04:25 PM
ORDER OF PLAY - MONDAY, MARCH 14, 2011

STADIUM 1

start 11:00 am
[1] C Wozniacki (DEN) vs [28] M Martinez Sanchez (ESP) - WTA
[4] R Soderling (SWE) vs [32] P Kohlschreiber (GER) - ATP

Not Before 2:30 PM
[20] A Rezai (FRA) vs [16] M Sharapova (RUS) - WTA
[1] R Nadal (ESP) vs [Q] R Sweeting (USA) - ATP

Not Before 7:00 PM
[4] S Stosur (AUS) vs D Safina (RUS) - WTA

Not Before 8:30 PM
[9] F Verdasco (ESP) vs [21] S Querrey (USA) - ATP

star
03-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Here is Rafa:angel:'s interview

[quote]R. NADAL/R. De Voest

6-0, 6-2

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. How you felt the injury playing? Do you feel like it's completely gone?
RAFAEL NADAL: I played last week Davis Cup. Not the first match.

Q. You feel like it's completely gone?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah.

Q. Do you like tighter matches in the first round, or is it good to have a breeze?
RAFAEL NADAL: Always a lot of people ask me these questions in Australia, when the first matches wasn't too difficult. But the thing is what you prefer, what you do not prefer, that's not the thing. The thing is I won today 6-0, 6-2. Was a good victory for me. I prefer to win. Doesn't matter 6-0, 6-2 or 7-6 in the third. I prefer to play well and to win. Today I think probably my opponent played a little bit more nervous than usual. For that reason, maybe I think wasn't one of the these matches that I had to play my best tennis. So I really can't say if I played really good or I don't played good. I think I played. :lol: I did what I had to do to win, no? Difficult to make big analysis of the match.

Q. You played him eight years ago, 16 year old.
RAFAEL NADAL: Eight years ago?

Q. 2003.
NADAL: I think it was more.

Q. Was more?
RAFAEL NADAL: 2003?

Q. You were 16. Do you remember anything of that match?
RAFAEL NADAL: Okay yeah. Eight years ago. Sorry. Sure. Was in 2003 in Cherbourg, maybe, in Challenger. I won, I think, in the third, no?

Q. What do you remember of that encounter? How are you different now from back then?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I think a lot of things changes, no? The same time not that much. Only the level I think improves. My level improves for sure. In general, I am better player than in that moment. I am eight years older.

Q. If I could go back to earlier in the week, you had that wonderful exhibition in Eugene. It's very unusual for tennis to go to Oregon, to the northwest part of our country. Do you think it's good that there was that exhibition, and what did you like most about that area? What did you like about going to the Nike campus.
RAFAEL NADAL: I spent two days in the Nike campus. I was there five years ago, but very short time, because I had to fly from Mallorca to do a test for the shoe, and I come back. So I was there five hours, and I take the plane another time back. This time I had more chances to know everything about the Nike campus, and I think was fantastic to know everything from there, because it's a really unbelievable place.

And the exhibition was fantastic. I like Oregon for sure. The people was crazy about the exhibition, crazy about the tennis. Hopefully in the future we can go more often there with one important tournament or with, I don't know, important event. But seriously, the atmosphere was really, really impressive. :hug: :hug:

Q. When you won the US Open you were serving very hard for your first serve. Then the velocity seemed to drop down a bit. But today you were serving in the high 120 miles per hour. Was that a change of technique again? Was it the balls? Was it something that you were trying to do?
RAFAEL NADAL: I didn't go down after US Open. I still served really well in Tokyo and Bangkok. And end of the season, yes, I didn't serve that fast. But if you don't find the right rhythm to serve fast, you have to serve a little bit slow and try to put more balls inside, no?

So that's a little bit of feeling. In the US Open my feeling was great on the serve. Right now I think I am serving well. I served really well last week in the Davis Cup, but here the conditions are completely different. I am trying to adjust a little bit the serve, because with the same movement didn't work exactly like what I with the same movement, the ball is not going the same like few days ago in the Davis Cup in Belgium.

Conditions are too different, and I am trying to serve with high percentage, and for sure try to serve fast, no? But here the bounces are crazy sometimes, and it's more important to have a good spin than a very fast ball, no? Because if you serve very fast but the ball stays at the right place for the opponent. Doesn't matter you serve at 132 miles. Opponent gonna have an easy return sometimes. Serve well or not, is not all about the speed, is my opinion. [so true, Rafa :worship: ]

Q. We saw you on the golf course this week. What do you do for leisure?
RAFAEL NADAL: What?

Q. We saw you earlier on the golf course this week. What do you do for like pleasure, leisure between matches?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, here I play golf. (Smiling.) I was playing with Fred Couples, so it was always a fantastic experience playing with him. I played a few times last few years with him, so he's really nice with all my team. I think he's a really good person.
Play with a player like him always it's an unbelievable experience. So after that when I am at home, I love to I love the sport in general. Sometimes I can't practice as much of sport as I love, because it's a little bit dangerous for the injuries. But I do. I go to fishing. I love to go with friends, be with the family. I have a lot of small cousins right now, and I love to play football with them, soccer. :inlove: :angel: :inlove:

Q. You play golf right handed and Toni of course converted you. If you play tennis right handed, if you had always played tennis right handed, do you think you would be as good as you are, and does being left handed give you some advantages?
RAFAEL NADAL: No. You know, I don't know if I am righty or lefty. That is the true. Because is sometimes really strange. I don't have nothing of feeling with the left, because if I have to give you that with the left, I don't know, I have no feeling. With this I gonna have all the feeling. And to play tennis, well, I never tried with the right. I didn't have feeling, and with the left, seems like it worked well the last couple of years. (Laughter.) It's difficult imagine that I can be as good as I was these couple of years or all my career with the right.

Q. Do you remember when Toni said, Hey, you should play right handed? Do you remember that?
RAFAEL NADAL: Toni never said, You should be played right handed. [Don't they mean "left?" :scratch: That's sometimes the history, but that's press says. That's not the right history. I played two hands, backhand, two hands forehand, when I was a kid, because I start when I was really small and I didn't have enough power to play with one hand. I played two backhands because I changed the grip. So one day at 10 years old, Toni says, Well, if you watch on the TV, you are gonna see a lot of very good players play two hands both shots, no, backhand and forehand. So we had to change and play with one hand, and naturally comes the left. That wasn't the decision right or left. I play with left.

Q. What do you think about the fact that you've won this tournament in doubles and the Bryans have not?
RAFAEL NADAL: I am better than them. (Laughter.) That's not the case, no? So the thing is probably I have the best partner of the world, yeah. I have a fantastic partner. Marc, he has amazing talent,:worship: and when we play together, we have a lot of fun. You know, I would love to play more tournaments doubles, but for me is impossible for the calendar and everything. Is too much.

But when I have the chance, I play. I played this year in Doha. I normally do in this tournament because is a long tournament and I have a few days in a row that there is a lot of with the super tiebreak helps a little bit to the players, but can have more chances to keep helping the players to play more and more doubles.

Because I think if the best players of the world play doubles, is a very good fun for the crowd, and for us, too, because we play a little bit more relaxed. At the same time, we practice, you know. If we have more facilities, is easier to practice playing doubles and is better practice playing doubles than practice only on the practice courts.

Q. This match this afternoon, when you were up 6 Love, 2 Love, does your mindset change at all, or do you just stay exactly the way it is from the start to the finish?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, the first match, the first important point is I don't know what's going to happen, so try to play very focused and try to win the match. After that, I saw the match was in very good position for me, so I say, Just be focused. Try to keep having the right feelings for the next matches, and for sure, be at 100% focus all the time, because you never know if the match can change. [Rafa challenged a call on the service line when he was up something like 6-0, 2-0 -- so I don't think his mindset changed. :lol: :lol: ]

Getta
03-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Rafa also did record a short post-match inteview yesterday.

eZO3LX8q6a8

no time to translate it coz i have to cook dinner and all those things... anyone on hand to help? Andreea, star, snoo, anyone?

star
03-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Poof. As if I could help translate Spanish. :p
But he sounds :inlove: adorable :inlove:

Snoo. :sad: :sad:

Here is my report on the First Round Doubles Match. As an explanation, it was written directly to Andreea, so maybe it's a little weird for everyone.

First of all and most importantly -- They were both wearing orange shirts, but slightly different shades of orange. Rafa's tended more to the pinkish side and Marc's did not. Marc wore black shorts and Rafa the khaki ones Nike apparently adores. Mark wore blue shoes -- sort of ruined the ensemble, but, oh well.

Lots of pressure to defend their points in this doubles match so everything was pretty serious.

Marc made a lot of mistakes. He wasn't his same sharp self, but he did hit some great points. As usual, when the chips were down, Rafa took over.

There was one point where I was startled and scared because somehow Rafa moved almost behind Marc who was at the net. Rafa was about 6 feet maybe behind him and I was like THE WHOLE COURT IS OPEN, RAFA because they were on the far side. And then poof. A soft little floater came up above Marc's head and Rafa was there to hammer it away. Magic!

Oh, early in the match, there was a guy who isn't a regular in our seats but comes and sits with us quite a bit. He was NOT pulling for Rafa. There was a point where Rafa kept saving things spectacularly, but the team was way way on the defensive and finally put up a lob, and the guy on the other side smashed it --- into the net. I looked over at the guy sitting with us and said "It's magic. You can't resist it. Just surrender" I was laughing, we all were. He just shook his head in disgust.

Then there was another point where Rafa ran down a ball it was only inches above the court when he struck it. I don't know how he got his racquet on it. Insane stuff. And he put it back in play and they won the point!! I think it was right after this that the guy who doesn't like Rafa got up and left.

I mean that point was won by pure hustle and desire.

So anyway, Marc and Rafa weren't playing all that well. Really not. Both made mistakes I hadn't seen before.

So, anyway, they are down a break in the second. And Marc is trying hard but he made a stupid error off the ground that sent the ball wide. He was so disgusted with himself and his play that he threw his racquet! Threw it!

And Rafa almost reflexively, bonked Marc in the head! He hit him on the back of the head with just the tips of his fingers. His fingers stretched out straight and then striking with the fingertips. The crowd laughed. And Rafa laughed too and mimed the gesture to Marc's head again only didn't strike him this time.

And when you are at a match, you see how gentle Rafa is with his racquet. He treats it like a baby. At the beginning of a set when they change sides after the first game, Rafa puts his towel on the chair and then gently lays his racquet on top of the towel. I mean, he doesn't just put it there like you would put a dish on a table, it's a gentle, soft motion. And Marc threw his baby!

Anyway, they got the break back and then the tiebreak. If I think of something I forgot, I'll let you know. I'm still waking up.

Sonja1989
03-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Good interview. :)

Good luck Rafa!!! :rocker2:

star
03-14-2011, 06:12 PM
So, my day at Indian Wells – or the BNP Paribas (a bank for a changing world, as we are reminded in sign after sign after sign) Open.

First I went to my seat in the stadium in the full sun for the Isner match and after that for Andy’s match. I love them both, but basically it was boring and I don’t like watching Blake play. I knew I wanted to catch Ryan Harrison out on Court 2 and that was going to be a tactical battle – getting into the court, I mean, and not the match itself. So I got some lunch and then joined the scrum milling around the entrance waiting to get into the Davy/Wawa match. I didn’t get in at the first change over, but the attendant let me in at the next and then it was up to me to find a seat. And luckily I did. Right on the aisle. Right in the middle of the court. (not my favorite place to be but when one is only a few feet from the court, no seat is really bad.

I was very lucky because the guy I sat down next to was funny as hell and he enjoyed my jokes too. We laughed together and with the two people just in front of us all the way through the next 7 hours. :lol: :lol:

First, Davy/Wawa. We really just wanted this match to be OVER because we were actually there for the Harrison match. All four of us were. Stan had quite a bit of crowd support and someone even had a huge Swiss flag – probably meant for Federer, but works for Wawa too. :p
We clapped for whoever could finish off the match quickly, but that changed and of course, went to a third (thud) set and all of this in the blazing sun coming directly at us sitting on the east side of the court. (only choice for me for a good seat)
Most of the fun came from people desperately trying to find a seat and the security guard keeping the entire front row in our section cleared for “media and players.” Well, we doubted that because those sections are at the ends of the court and are marked on the chairs. My seatmate challenged the security guard about it “We were taking bets on whether those seats are really reserved because we think they aren’t. “ :lol: The security guard said, “We’ll check on it after the match.” :scratch: Then sort of apologetically he said, “The main complaints are from the cameraman (because there was a cameraman right in front of some of those seats) claiming that the spectators were bothering him.”

Ohmygod. A Diva Cameraman! :lol: :lol: :lol:

We really laughed then. What could a cameraman be complaining about from the spectators?

Then after the match, the security guard left and those seats filled up! It was all a big fuss over NOTHING. :haha: :haha:

The guys in front of us were so :fiery: because they fell in love with Harrison last year and wanted to be in the first row but the security guard wouldn’t let them. :lol:

Ok. Harrison/GGL.
Here was a match where either could have won. I thought Harrison was the more rounded player of the two and probably slightly better. It was a matter of mental strength. Harrison couldn’t hold a lead – which made it very frustrating. He plays better when he’s even or behind. He does come to the net quite a bit and sometimes a little impatiently.

Then we had to sit through Jankovic to get to Raonic to get to Nadal. And there was no hope of seeing Djokovic because I couldn’t give up my seat or I would never get into the court again.
What can I say except I hated her dress. :rolleyes:

Raonic/Fish. So much fun with the arrogant Canadians filling the place. Flags and maple leafs. I didn’t see any hockey jerseys this time though. :sad: I think maybe some of these Canadians weren’t actually – you know – Canadians. :lol:

You might have seen the match on TV. Milos wasn’t serving big. He says he’s working on his groundstrokes at his coach’s behest. It was a dogfight and the feeling was that Fish was fighting to hold on and to beat the kid. There were some marvelous shots from both sides and wild cheering from the crowd. The sun was down completely by this time and it was getting a bit chilly. Maybe that’s what got the crowd so rowdy. Of course someone yelled out loudly “Another game for Milos!” The real Milos did not smile.

The trainer looked like he was kneading hard on Milos’s stomach. It didn’t look comfortable. Looked like a back problem. AND it took a long time – and you know, we were getting anxious to see Nadal before the dawning of a new day.

So it came down to the final game. The “Canadians” were screaming “Milos! Milos! Milos!” and the USians were screaming “Fish, Fish Fish”
Much to and fro from both nationalities during the game. Someone started singing/yelling “O Canada”
Mohammed – got to love him let the crowd have some fun but firmly settled us down. It was one of those things where people were SCREAMING between points and then deathly silent as Milos began to serve.

And then NADAL and LOPEZ

Well, the tall ones came on the court first, and then we saw Marc coming on the court smiling, but NO Nadal. :lol: So typical. Finally there came Nadal trailing after everyone else was at their seats. Probably he was signing autographs.

This time they had the same Nike outfits. Sherbet Orange shirts and khaki pants with the Nike logo on all. Rafa must have insisted. :lol:
Still, Marc with the blue shoes :mad:

Ok. At the beginning of the match LilLo was on FIRE! The tall ones picked on him. They directed every ball toward him and he was magnificent. He found tiny spaces on the court to flick the ball through. He ripped returns. :worship: The serve bailed out the big guys so we were on serve at the turn.

Rafa and LilLo were talking talking talking between all the points and especially when getting ready to serve. Each practically walked backwards to the net still talking to the partner. :rolleyes:

So there was an important point where Karlovic’s serve was called out, and he challenged. Both Rafa and Lo were standing on the baseline as if to receive. You could see Rafa ask Lo if the ball was out. Lo shrugged a little Spanish shrug (so cute) and half gestured to the scoreboard, as if – We’ll have to wait and see – and then it WAS LONG, and LilLo blew out a big breath of relief.

LilLo did lose his serve – I think twice – so he gets points off for that. Rafa was in danger of losing his serve a few times too, so it was all very tense.

Rafa reacts so much more to making an error during doubles than he ever does in singles. He tosses his head back, grimaces, makes a face – all things I don’t see in singles.

Ah, but he worked some magic on that court. Beautiful stuff. He found small openings. He ripped groundstrokes and forced impotent volleys. There was one point – oh, it all happened so fast, it’s hard to remember, but, our team was on the defensive, and they suddenly had to switch sides of the court to cover. A volley came to the sideline where Rafa was covering. He managed somehow to get to it and then very low to the ground he put a sharply angled volley over the net. It went almost completely across the court and landed maybe a foot from the net on the other side. What a roar after that point!
There was another point – can’t remember if Rafa or Lopez won it, but Rafa leapt high and turned in the air celebrating the point.

That’s all I can write at the moment.

l_mac
03-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Thanks for all your hard work, Hilde :worship: :bigcry: :bowdown: :yeah:

star
03-14-2011, 06:34 PM

:rolls: :rolls: :rolls:

acionescu
03-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Exceptional repport :worship: :worship:

beats everything the OP had to offer

MariaV
03-14-2011, 08:35 PM

:spit: :rolls: :rolls: But I thank you too, Hilde! :worship: :bowdown: :yeah: :hatoff:

Thanos
03-14-2011, 09:42 PM
i was told to post here because hilde was feeling emo. so.... vamos nadal!! destroy some american mug in this round :rocker2:

MariaV
03-15-2011, 10:54 AM
So kind of you Thanos! :kiss:

Next up Devvarman. Today only doubles match vs Dlouhy & Hanley 5th on Stadium 2. Vamos! :banana:

Getta
03-15-2011, 12:35 PM
XZPuR4o_PRc

Uploaded by ATPWorldTour (http://www.youtube.com/user/ATPWorldTour) on Mar 15, 2011

World No. 1 Rafael Nadal reflects on his comfortable third-round victory
over Ryan Sweeting on Monday at the BNP Paribas Open.

born_on_clay
03-15-2011, 12:58 PM
This was easy :)
The draw is now wide open (except Del Potro) to make the final :D

MariaV
03-15-2011, 01:14 PM
I don't like Delpo though. :tape: :( He trashed poor Rafa last time at the USO (2009 I mean) and is fastly getting back to his best. :unsure:

star
03-15-2011, 01:42 PM
This was easy :)
The draw is now wide open (except Del Potro) to make the final :D

That's a VERY big exception. :p

star
03-15-2011, 02:37 PM
I posted a wonderful article about Rafa:angel: in the articles thread.

Another journalist has fallen for Rafa. :lol:

star
03-15-2011, 02:54 PM
INTERVIEW!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

It's SO good. :lol: :lol:

Rafael Nadal Interview
March 14, 2011
INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA - BNP PARIBAS OPEN

R. NADAL/R. Sweeting
6-3, 6-1

Q. That's two very effective, impressive performances. You must be pretty satisfied with your game so far?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, no, I think I didn't play nothing really impressive, but I played solid. You know, I didn't have big mistakes.
So I think today the more positive thing is I finished much better than the beginning of the match. So improve during the match always very good news, no?
In general, happy with the serve, happy with the backhand. Forehand I need to -- forehand always is my best shot, and I need to be aggressive to have chances, good chances to be in the right position to have good tournament.
That's the only thing, in my opinion, no, but probably is the most important thing.

Q. How about your doubles game? That's the important thing?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, that's true. Fantastic beat for us yesterday. We played well, I think. [:inlove: Rafalish!!]

Q. You always care about issues around the world. You played a lot of matches, charity matches. I was wondering, as No. 1 in this sport, do you have any plans on Japanese earthquake?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, we are thinking about what we can do. But, you know, these big events, for sure for us always before the tournament start, when the tournament starts, everything is difficult because the court is full, not all the players can be on court because one player today, another player play tomorrow. So is difficult, no?
But I am sure -- well, all of us are have compromise with Japan, especially myself. I was there last year, and the people was always really nice with me, so I am open to do everything for Japan, and am very sorry and so sad, because what's happening is terrible.
So hopefully the situation gets better soon. Seems like gonna be difficult. But, you know, if we can help, I don't know which way, but for sure we gonna try something.

Q. Outside of hard court tournaments you have played, how does this surface rate in terms of speed and high bounce?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think is the court that the ball gets more topspin on hard court, no? The hard court tournament, the bounces are more crazy.
Is difficult to control the ball for moments because sometimes if you are not touching the ball at the right place, is very easy to put the ball longer than usual.
But seriously I think is a tournament, a hard court tournament that I had better results in my career. I had three semifinals, two champions, so I think I don't have these results in another hard court tournament.

Q. You really enjoy playing with Marc. Can you tell us about your friendship with him and how long you two have been playing together doubles?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, we have fantastic relationship since long time ago, and for sure I love play doubles. Is impossible to play more times. I would love to play more times, but the calendar is this one, and is impossible to play more.
But when I have the chance and tournaments like here that I have to stay here in United States, even if I lose in singles I have to wait for the next tournament. And if I am winning, doesn't matter, because I have one day off almost every day.
So I can play, and I happy to play and happy to help a little bit Marc. I think he don't need help right now. He is No. 14 of the world. But last year and two years ago he needed this help, so for me is important satisfaction, personal satisfaction, that I see him right now No. 14 of the world.
We start to play together two years ago in Qatar; we won. And last year we won here. I think he start to -- I think he really start his career another time, no, in doubles right now.
So he has a good future in doubles, I think, for long time, because in doubles you can play longer, so is good to see him in a good position.

Q. Actually in terms of keeping up the momentum, what happened to you last year losing as you did in the singles and then winning the doubles, I mean, Andy Murray is in that situation now. He lost in the singles and he's in the doubles. If there was no doubles here you would have then probably 10 days before...
RAFAEL NADAL: That's what I say before. Is the perfect tournament, because even the tournament is long, if you win, you can keep playing; and if you lose singles you keeping -- you are in competition, you are still in competition.
So be here for 10 days or 12 days without competition is very long. So is important pay attention to doubles, and sometimes doubles important for the confidence, too.
I think is not the same case last year. I was in semifinals and I had a big opportunity to be in the final. And after that I play the finals of doubles two hours later, no?
But for sure is hard to be here one week without playing singles and without play doubles. It's hard to be here if you are singles player only play doubles, but is for sure harder if you don't have nothing.

Q. Milos Raonic was in here last night saying that after his match with Mardy Fish he went to the net and he apologized to Mardy for some of the things that went on during the match. He felt that maybe Mardy thought that Milos disrespected him in some way during the match, so he apologized after the match. When you were younger and coming up on the tour, how did you deal with situations like that? Did you have older players...
RAFAEL NADAL: What happened exactly?

Q. Milos said that he was bending over during the injury timeouts and maybe thought that Mardy thought he was disrespecting him by stalling, something like that.
RAFAEL NADAL: What happened? He fight a little bit at the net?

Q. No, no, no. He went up to the net at the end of the match and apologized to Mardy.
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I think the physio is a rule, and you can ask the physio if you want. For sure the fair thing is ask the physio if you really have something. If you don't have nothing, for the opponent is not that fair.
But I'm sure he asked the trainers because he had something. I don't know exactly why, what he had, because I didn't talk to him.
But I believe in Milos and I believe in all the players. :worship: :angel: :worship: All the time when I see a player asking for the physio, I don't thought this because he wanted to stop the match or he wanted -- I don't know. Is because he has something, no? Not because he wanted to lose, to stop the rhythm of the opponent.
That's my opinion, but I am not in the mind of everyone.

Q. Did you have older players that when you were first coming on the tour you would go to for advice on maybe how to act on the court sometimes? Milos said he's new to the tour, so he didn't really know if Mardy was offended or not.
RAFAEL NADAL: To don't know nothing, he's doing really well, no? (Laughter.) :lol: :lol:
I think the tour is nothing really different about the life. Finally is do the right things. And if you do the right things, you can ask the physio as many times as you want. Important thing is be correct, be good person, and respect all the players, respect everybody, and for sure not be arrogant.
That's what I tried all my career. In my opinion I did. In the opinion of someone, for sure I didn't. So is impossible everybody likes, you know? But important thing is be happy with yourself and try to be the right things all the time. :worship: [so wise so young.]

Q. You're talking about playing doubles here. Would you ever consider playing doubles in a Grand Slam?
RAFAEL NADAL: No.

Q. Why not?
RAFAEL NADAL: I played. I played in 2005; I played in Australia. And 2004 I played, for sure. But is difficult, because if you play long match, five sets, and next day you have to play doubles, sometimes is too much. It depends of which is your goal, what is your goal playing the tournament, no?
If your goal is trying to win the tournament, probably is better not play doubles. If you go there and you are happy to be in fourth round or quarterfinals or third round, you can play doubles, no?
But anyway, somebody - I think Kafelnikov - won in Roland Garros singles and doubles. For sure is nothing impossible, but for me I think yes.

Q. You spoke earlier about Japan, but you've chosen to do some significant charity work in India. Could you tell us about that, why you chose to do that work? Aren't you doing charity work in India?
RAFAEL NADAL: In India?

Q. Yeah.
RAFAEL NADAL: I did because, you know, like all the new projects, like when you start something new, you need help, you need to have experience, and we had a good opportunity about work there with Vicente Ferrer Foundation. That's very important foundation of Spain, and they have his base on India.
What they did in Anantapur, in that place, is amazing for more than 20 years. So we have opportunity to go there and to work with them, to build tennis courts, to build a school for the kids, and not for ourself doing together project.
So for that reason we started there, no? And for sure, for me and for my mom, for Claudia, it was a fantastic experience, and we learn a lot about what they did there and how they work. For us is important thing right now we are trying to be bigger and bigger all the time, but we need to get experience from these projects.
But seriously, for me, I want to start working for Spain, we have a lot of work to do in Spain, too. And if the foundation in the future is enough big, enough important to can work in all different parts of the world, I will be more than happy, no, with that. But in the beginning I would like to start in my country. :kiss: :kiss:

MariaV
03-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Rafa knows Kafelnikov. :eek: :eek: Well nothing new really, Rafa knows his tennis. :worship: :bowdown:

vn01
03-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Good win for Rafa. He was solid in his first two matches. Only Delpo is the problem for Rafa to reach the Final. VAMOS! :D

ApproachShot
03-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Vamos Rafa and Marc for the doubles. I think there is a good chance they can defend their titles. I hope for a Federinka/Nadalopez match, but the Swiss pair just survived by the skin of their teeth yesterday even though they beat Nestor/Mirnyi quite easily in their first round.

The draw has opened up nicely in the singles but Rafa said it right in the interview - whoever wins the match is the better player in the tournament, so whoever he plays in the next few rounds deserves to be there. It's hardly his fault if Soderling, Murray, Ferrer, Dolgopolov or Almagro are not able to win their respective matches.

All in all though, a good comeback from the injury so far. Delpo might be tricky but he is far from his best. In any case it is difficult to hit through Rafa on this kind of court to consistently make winners like he did at Flushing Meadows. Looking further ahead, although Federer has a slim chance I expect Djokovic to come through in the bottom half. The US Open final rematch is something I am looking forward to - especially with Nole on this kind of form. Could be a cracker of a match.

MariaV
03-16-2011, 10:06 AM
Rafa and Marc won the doubles match 75 67(3) 10-7, teeeeeheeee, would be funny indeed should they meet Federinka in the semis. :rolls: :rolls:

Rafa's match vs Devvarman is 7 pm local time, a night match.

MariaV
03-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Prominent people following Rafa's doubles match, a pity that despite the win he didn't play well.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02tM7kkflngKy/610x.jpg

INDIAN WELLS, CA - MARCH 15: Pau Gasol (2nd from left) of the Los Angeles Lakers and Larry Ellison (R), CEO of Oracle and owner of the tournament attend the BNP Paribas Open at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden on March 15, 2011 in Indian Wells, California.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08YcbKgdo54UI/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bmX3mb3YM6Y9/610x.jpg

Getta
03-16-2011, 09:09 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/35/fullj.f9141d7cf1124ff08684f667882e6b8c/f9141d7cf1124ff08684f667882e6b8c-getty-104946475jg017_bnp_paribas_.jpg
http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/original700/pau-gaso-rafael-nadal-silvia-lopez-castro-2011-3-15-22-50-4.jpg

vn01
03-17-2011, 04:54 AM
Not bad win for Rafa against Devvarman. Rafa could have played better, but I am sure he'll raise his level of game in his next matches. QF vs. Karlovic. VAMOS RAFA!

MariaV
03-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Oh, we can only hope but vs Karlovic he really has to pick up his game or he will be toast. :o :help:
It'll be a night match again and maybe playing the night match for the first time also affected him a bit vs Devvarman.
Not having my hopes up though. :tape:

Just like heaven
03-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Interview after the match

http://www.tennistv.com/page/Video/0,,11444~1742988,00.html

Sonja1989
03-17-2011, 01:59 PM
I think this match against Karlovic will be two hard set. Good luck Rafa! :)

I'm really happy because of doubles but I think it's enought. It take away too much energy.

star
03-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Oh, we can only hope but vs Karlovic he really has to pick up his game or he will be toast. :o :help:
It'll be a night match again and maybe playing the night match for the first time also affected him a bit vs Devvarman.
Not having my hopes up though. :tape:

He's played night matches already at IW. His doubles the night before was a night match. And also the night before that his doubles was a night match.

His forehand is OFF. He said as much in one of his pressers.

born_on_clay
03-17-2011, 04:37 PM
He wrote on facebook his match was terrible :eek:

star
03-17-2011, 05:14 PM
That's a fair assessment.

Getta
03-17-2011, 09:10 PM
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=69861

INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA

R. NADAL/S. Devvarman
7-5, 6-4

Q. You want to just talk about how you felt you played and then talk a little bit about your opponent who showed up pretty well?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I played really bad, I think. That's the beginning. I played really bad, especially in the beginning. I think he didn't play well in the beginning. First he was winning 3-1 -- no, 2-0, and he didn't play well, but I played terrible in the beginning.
So after that I improved a little bit, but the first set in general, for me, was really bad, because I wasn't able to play aggressive with my forehand. I didn't see no one time the opportunity to go inside and to play the winner.
So in general, the level was very low in the first set, in my opinion. The second set improves a little bit. I think I had the win before. Had Love-30 two times, had 15-30 another time, and big chances to win 6-2, 6-3 in the second, no?
Because I was playing much better in the second set. For sure not perfect, but, you know, you have to come back after a terrible first set and the mental situation is difficult to change a lot. If you played really bad the first set, in the second set, even if you play not bad, your vision is difficult to appreciate if you are playing better or not, because your confidence is low after about the first set, no?
I think the second set was correct; wasn't bad second set. That's the most positive thing, so I played much better in the end of the match than in the beginning.

Q. You always say the victory is the most important thing.

Q. But is this one of those nights...

RAFAEL NADAL: No, the victory gives you another chance to play next day and to improve your level, no?
The important thing - and the most important thing - is play at the best level. Because if you are playing very well and you lose, is just time.
If you are playing very well, you're going to win not this week, next week, but next one. If you are playing bad and you are winning, you are gonna have that chances, no?
I was month outside of the tour, and for sure in the beginning is a little bit more nervous than usual. And the rhythm, I needed a little bit more. And winning the matches, that's the way.
Is much more important win matches when you are playing bad than when you are playing well. Because when you are playing well, everything comes together, no? When you are playing bad, is important win matches.

Q. Just talk about your next match. Karlovic is always a difficult challenge, and I suppose you have to raise your level against him.

RAFAEL NADAL: Everybody knows Karlovic, so nothing to say. Gonna be a really difficult match, because you have to be very focused with your serve. You can't have not one mistake with your serve.
In the returning games, just try your best and weigh your chance. You know you're gonna have a lot of chances and you have to be lucky. When you have your chance, come back.

Q. Do you enjoy playing a player like him?

Q. Have you played him before?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah.

Q. Did you have any problems with him before?

RAFAEL NADAL: I have problems with everybody, I think. (Laughter.)

Q. He surprised a lot of people, though. Even though you weren't at your top level, he surprised a lot of people that he was more talented than we thought.

RAFAEL NADAL: No, everybody knows how dangerous is Karlovic, no? With this serve, you can win everybody.
Normally the match is gonna decide in two, three points. So when the matches are deciding in 20, 30 points, normally the better player have more chances. But when the match decides in two, three points, sometimes is lottery.
That's what is Karlovic. He's a really good player, so seriously. No, no, I played against him in Queen's, I think, I won 6-7, 7-6, 7-6. And I played long time ago in Milan, very long time ago, and I won I think in the third, too.
I have one more match, I think, but I can't remember that now.

Q. Do you think it's possible that, say, if you played Karlovic every three or four months, that after a while you would get used to seeing his first serve, or do you think it's just so fast and he serves from so high that if he hits the spot in the court, it's impossible to return it?

RAFAEL NADAL: Normally to break him is because he have mistakes, not because you are converting good shots. Because you are in his hands all the time. If he serve well, nothing to do, because the feeling is like I am serving from the middle line, you know.
And the ball -- you a lot of times are very far away from the ball. You are not even close sometimes to touch the ball. It's like a penalty every time, so you have 50% to...

Q. So you feel like a goal keeper?

RAFAEL NADAL: Exactly. You have a 50% to know where the ball gonna be, and with this 50% you have another -- probably another 50% to put the ball inside. Finally is very low percent.

Q. The other night you talked about a foundation in Spain and philanthropy. I'm just wondering if Agassi and what he's done with charities and philanthropy has been an influence in what you're trying to do?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. Seriously, no, wasn't the influence of foundation. I think it's fantastic what he did with his foundation. But I did in the past a lot of charity events, and I really don't know where that money goes.
So, sure, I'm sure that that money goes for a good causes. But I say, Well, why I don't -- why I cannot manage this money to invest in the places that I would love to do it.
I don't know if my English was -- you understand?

Q. Absolutely.

RAFAEL NADAL: Okay. In Spanish? No, just if I want to put this money with the kids with mental discapacity, is this. If I want to put with kids with another discapacity, I can put there. So just put the money where I really want to put the money, not where the other people want to put the money. That's why my foundation, I started to work with my foundation.

Q. How well do you know Pau Gasol, and how much do you enjoy having people like him come and watch you play?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, we know each other since long time ago, so for me is not a thing that the biggest star power is always coming to watch my matches. The thing is that he is a good friend and that I am not able to watch him or to talk with him live a lot of times because we are in different parts of the world and traveling all the time.
So for me was fantastic to talk with him yesterday and to see him yesterday. You know, we talk the same language. We are both sportsmen, and our life is sports. So is good to know more about the different sports. And in general, I think he's a really fantastic person. He's a humble guy, a normal guy.
He's a big star in all the world, but seriously, he's really normal. And can just say thanks to him to come here, to watch me play on his day off, because he don't have a lot of days off. For me, it was a real honor that he came for my doubles match.
But in general, was more happy to see him and was able to talk with a good friend.

star
03-17-2011, 10:20 PM
Rafa :worship:

born_on_clay
03-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Too close Rafa :eek:

Getta
03-18-2011, 10:18 AM
ORDER OF PLAY - FRIDAY, MARCH 18, 2011

STADIUM 1

[18] R Gasquet (FRA) vs [3] N Djokovic (SRB) - ATP

Not Before 1:00 PM
[23] Y Wickmayer (BEL) vs [15] M Bartoli (FRA) - WTA

Not Before 3:00 PM
[12] S Wawrinka (SUI) vs [2] R Federer (SUI) - ATP

Not Before 6:00 PM
M Lopez (ESP) / R Nadal (ESP) vs R Federer (SUI) / S Wawrinka (SUI) - ATP

Not Before 8:00 PM
[1] C Wozniacki (DEN) vs [16] M Sharapova (RUS) - WTA

Getta
03-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Hot Shot Indian Wells 2011 Thursday

Epu72SNttAA

Uploaded by ATPWorldTour (http://www.youtube.com/user/ATPWorldTour) on 18 Mar 2011

Rafael Nadal provides Thursday's Hot Shot great a running winner in his quarter-final win over Ivo Karlovic.

vn01
03-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Rafa was close to the loss, but he showed his championship mentality and won. Vamos! :worship:

Topspindoctor
03-18-2011, 02:11 PM
It was almost like 2010 all over again :sad:

But this year he is more confident and kept focus in tie break despite a couple of mini chokes. Good practice for Nadal. He needed to be tested, I felt even in his last match against Devvarman he barely showed up. Hopefully this match is a wake up call. I expect him to beat JMDP, but any finalist - I expect either Olderer or Djoke - will be tough.

star
03-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Here is an excerpt from an article about the match.

NDIAN WELLS, California (Reuters) - World number one Rafa Nadal withstood a barrage of power serving by Croat Ivo Karlovic to reach the semi-finals of the Indian Wells ATP tournament with a thrilling 5-7 6-1 7-6 victory on Thursday.

The top-seeded Spaniard, champion here in 2007 and 2009, ended a tightly balanced match on the showpiece stadium court by winning the third set tiebreak 9-7 when a Karlovic forehand floated long.

Left-hander Nadal had earned his third match point of the night with a sublime inside-out forehand crosscourt winner and the crowd erupted with deafening roars when he converted it moments later to seal victory in two hours, 23 minutes.

He collapsed to the ground in delight and will next meet Argentine Juan Martin del Potro, who was gifted a place in the last four when Spaniard Tommy Robredo pulled out of their match earlier in the day with a strained left abductor muscle.

"It was an unbelievably difficult match," a beaming Nadal said courtside after beating the 6ft-10in (2.08 meter) Karlovic for a fourth time in four career meetings.

"This was the first one (of the tournament) that I felt really that even if I play well, I can lose. That's always hard, to go on court with this feeling.[no wonder he exploded with joy at the end!]

"You lose a set against Karlovic, and you are under pressure the rest of the games of the match."

Karlovic, who became the fastest server of all time with a 251 kph (156 mph) blast during his country's Davis Cup tie against Germany in Zagreb this month, ended the match with a total of 23 aces.

"Right now, I'm a little bit disappointed because it was close," said the 239th-ranked Croat, whose 2010 season was cut short by six months due to Achilles surgery.

"It could have also gone the other way, my way. It didn't but, all in all, it was a good week for me, so I am happy."

The first set went with serve until Nadal was broken in the 11th game when he ran back after a protracted rally and, on the stretch, hit a forehand lob long.

SEARING GROUNDSTROKES

Karlovic held serve to clinch the set but he was broken in the second and fourth games of the second as the Spaniard began to dominate from the baseline with searing groundstrokes.

Nadal held serve to take the second set 6-1 when a Karlovic forehand service return floated long but the third went into a tiebreak with neither able to break.

The Spaniard raced into a 5-2 lead after pulling off an incredible volleyed drop shot on the stretch but the Croat, helped by a 210 kph ace, fought back to 5-5 before saving match points at 5-6 and 6-7.

"In the tiebreak I was really nervous,[I could see and feel this from watching :aww:]" Nadal, the French Open, Wimbledon and U.S. Open champion, said. "I returned fantastic but I didn't put one first serve on court."
http://wincountry.com/news/articles/2011/mar/18/nadal-holds-off-karlovic-power-to-reach-semis/

star
03-18-2011, 04:40 PM
This is a link to a video of a shot during the Karlovic match. As I recall, it was a bit of a mishit. Ivo smiled as he turned away from the net and shook his head a bit.

http://www.watch-live-tennis.com/tennis-videos/rafael-nadal-hot-shot-indian-wells-2011-thursday.html

Getta
03-18-2011, 08:03 PM
this short audio interview was recorded yesterday just after Rafa’s win over Ivo Karlovic.

http://wm.world.mii-streaming.net/media/atp/tournaments/indianwells/2011/March17_Nadal.mp3

Getta
03-18-2011, 11:22 PM
hmm

Rafa practising his game for today's doubles match.

syH1Q5fHiUk

Getta
03-19-2011, 09:02 AM
Rafa and LiLo lost to Federinka 7-5 6-3. :sobbing:

ywm2PkKkqxI

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01VRc7g2kP1JU/x610.jpg http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0g612HRg074QO/x610.jpg

Getta
03-19-2011, 09:03 AM
ORDER OF PLAY - SATURDAY, MARCH 19, 2011

STADIUM 1

[1] R Nadal (ESP) vs J Del Potro (ARG) - ATP
[3] N Djokovic (SRB) vs [2] R Federer (SUI) - ATP

Not Before 3:00 PM
[8] B Mattek-Sands (USA) / M Shaughnessy (USA) vs S Mirza (IND) / E Vesnina (RUS) - WTA - DOUBLES FINAL

Not Before 4:00 PM
A Dolgopolov (UKR) / X Malisse (BEL) vs R Federer (SUI) / S Wawrinka (SUI) - ATP - DOUBLES FINAL

born_on_clay
03-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Though one today :scared:

star
03-19-2011, 12:50 PM
R. NADAL/I. Karlovic

5-7, 6-1, 7-6

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

Q. Your reaction at the end suggested it was a very important victory for you tonight in all the circumstances.
RAFAEL NADAL: A lot of tension, because when you play this match against him, I said yesterday, no, the match can be decided for two points, one point.
So, you know, the first set, my feeling was I was playing a little bit better than him the first set. But seriously, we arrive at the 5 4 and he played an unbelievable game.
So, you know, you lose a set against Karlovic, and, you know, you are under pressure the rest of the games of the match.
So I think I played a fantastic second set returning better than ever, I think.
In the third, I didn't have chances. His serve was unstoppable. You know, in the tiebreak I was really nervous. I think I returned fantastic in the tiebreak, but I didn't put no one first serve on court, so I was really nervous.
For sure, it is a very important victory for me, you know, being in semifinals another time here after one month outside the competition is fantastic new for me.
Is a good result in hard court, and, you know, you never know what's going on right now on the tournament. But for me, be in semifinals, I'm very happy for that.

Q. Can you talk a little bit about your service game? That third set you only gave up two points on your serve going into the tiebreaker, and only three points on your serve in the tiebreak, so only five in the third set. Can you talk about how well you served?
RAFAEL NADAL: My opinion I didn't serve that well. In the tiebreak, my serve was terrible, that's for sure. But before that, I was serving with high percentage, I think. I don't know my percentage, but that's what I had to do. Because in my opinion, I can't give him opportunities with the second serve to try because he was playing very aggressive with the forehand, with every second serve.
So my feeling was I had to put first serves inside and try to have the control of the point with my forehand. I think I did well, because he didn't have not one opportunity in all the third set, so that's always very positive.
But at the same time, I didn't have a lot at the return, too.

Q. Let's talk about reading his serve because of the height, the toss.
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. It's like a penalty every time, I said yesterday. You have 50% to know where the serve gonna be.
And after that, if you are right with the place, with the direction of the serve, if he serve very close to the line, you don't gonna have chances anyway, too.
I think have two breaks in the second set and big opportunity for the third was unbelievable for me. And in the third, I think I did well on the return, but...
You know, I was there sometimes, but the ball is still very far. So no chances.

Q. Do you think it's possible now that you're in the semifinals, perhaps you can relax a little? I mean, as you say, coming back after so long, every match is very important for you. You're a little nervous. Perhaps now you played this number of matches, you can be a little bit more calm in the semifinals?
RAFAEL NADAL: I have to be; if not, I gonna have not one chance. I am sure I can be more relaxed, because I passed very important matches for me. Because losing second round, third round, gonna be tough.
The match of today, you know, was the first one that I felt really that even if I play well, I can lose. That's always hard, go on court with this feeling. And the rest of the matches, my feeling was if I play good, normal, I gonna have big chances to pass, no?
But today was completely different situation. And, yes, I am a little bit more relaxed because I know I did a good tournament anyway.

Q. You did talk about how returning his serve involves a lot of luck. When you look back on the second set, do you chalk that up to just getting lucky and guessing right, or were you actually feeling it a little better?
RAFAEL NADAL: I was inspiration? Full inspiration that moment, no? Because I was lucky to do the first break in the second game of the second set, and after that was big confidence for me, no? Because I know gonna be difficult for him to break me anyway in the second.
So I felt I was in a good position to win the second set, and I was able to play more aggressive in the rest of the returning games. If I had mistakes on the return in that second set, doesn't matter for me, because I had advantage of one break, and I felt that was enough.
So I played aggressive, and all the returns was going inside. I don't know why.

Q. What about playing Juan Martin in the next round? He's won the last three times that you have played. Your head to head is very close. What are your thoughts on playing him?
RAFAEL NADAL: He's one of the best of the world, for sure. He's coming back after one year outside of competition almost.
So when you are in a difficult situations like he was last year and you come back and you start to win, you are stronger than before because your motivation and you want to you know, you want to recover the time that you lost for one year.
So, you know, I know how is this feeling, but the more difficult of the match is not this. The more difficult is I play against top 5 in the world for sure. And on this surface, I am sure it is like this.
So we will see. I know I have to play better than what I did every day, but for me was a big improve today from yesterday, so that's a positive thing. I have to keep improving much more to have chances on the semifinals. I gonna work tomorrow on the doubles to practice, and I hopeful with this confidence and everything I gonna be able to play a fantastic match, because that's all the way.

Metis
03-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Nadal-Karlovic 5-7 6-1 7-6

1st - Bye
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
QF - rafa_maniac
SF - Betty, Metis, vn01
F -

rafa_maniac: Ouch!!! :tape:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/1/17/0e676995-9e1e-465d-a4a1-b0b3bd02fbd9.gif (http://cheezburger.com/View/4364872960)

rafa_maniac
03-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Doubles loss is probably for the best with him going far in both events, an exho against Nole coming up and Miami straight after.

born_on_clay
03-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Rafa :hatoff:
Great win over del Potro
Good luck in the final
Does somebody know the order of play fot the final day ?

Metis
03-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Nadal-Del Potro 6-4 6-4

1st - Bye
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
QF - rafa_maniac
SF - Betty, Metis, vn01
F -

Betty, Metis, vn01: you're out of the picture :bigwave:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/2/13/d804c279-d561-43c1-86ef-a516ef718039.jpg (http://cheezburger.com/View/4460331008)

Metis
03-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Rafa better win this, or we'll have a massive FAIL. Not acceptable! :(

vn01
03-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Great win Rafa!!! :worship:

VAMOS FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP!

Sonja1989
03-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Well done Rafa! :bounce:

Good luck in final!!! ;)

Rafa :hatoff:
Great win over del Potro
Good luck in the final
Does somebody know the order of play fot the final day ?

I don't know, women final or men starting at 11.00 am (local).
http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/Schedules/Match-Schedule.aspx

FlameOn
03-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Rafa better win this, or we'll have a massive FAIL. Not acceptable! :(
There's no shame in losing to Nole ATM (who will probably beat Rog). I think we can just be happy he reached the final since this is his first event since AO retirement (besides DC).

l_mac
03-19-2011, 09:39 PM
There's no shame in losing to Nole

Uh, you could not be more wrong :retard:

Our coverage here starts at 8pm, which makes me assume the mens final must be not before 1pm local time. The women start at 11am.

Metis
03-19-2011, 09:58 PM
There's no shame in losing to Nole ATM (who will probably beat Rog). I think we can just be happy he reached the final since this is his first event since AO retirement (besides DC).

That's not what I meant. :lol: I was talking about the MIT competition; If Rafa loses tomorrow everyone will have failed since nobody picked runner-up as a prediction (=massive FAIL :sad:).

acionescu
03-19-2011, 10:50 PM
there is nothing worse than losing to Nole :(

Except maybe losing to Donald Young :o

Yazoo.C
03-20-2011, 01:30 AM
'World No. 1 #Nadal takes 16-7 mark vs. No. 2-to be @DjokerNole in #BNPPARIBASOPEN final. Djoker 7-5 on hard vs Rafa but 0-5 in finals.'

The finals record against Nole is good. This time round however I feel it will be more difficult, Nole hasn't lost a single match this year so far, and we'll have to see how Rafa copes.

star
03-20-2011, 03:02 AM
Well done Rafa! :bounce:

Good luck in final!!! ;)

I don't know, women final or men starting at 11.00 am (local).
http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/Schedules/Match-Schedule.aspx

Women go first. :) :) :) :)

Otherwise, no one would stay and watch them once the men finished playing. :awww: :awww:

vn01
03-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Nole will become a Nadal's turkey tonight :yeah:

klyne
03-20-2011, 09:34 AM
rafa always beat nole..and he's goin to beat him again tonight:D

MariaV
03-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Uhhh you're so postive about Rafa's chances! :unsure: :scared:

born_on_clay
03-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Uhhh you're so postive about Rafa's chances! :unsure: :scared:

We (truly Rafa's fans) are the first ones to have a faith in him ;)

star
03-20-2011, 02:00 PM

:rolleyes:

We (truly Rafa fans) are nervous for him because we hope for so much.

klyne
03-20-2011, 02:01 PM
so true..:worship:
Uhhh you're so postive about Rafa's chances!
yeah, im really like that, ive got so much faith and high hopes on my fave atheltes,even if they're not doin well,im always optimistic..:)but ofcors,if they happen to lose,im the 1st person to feel sad..:o

born_on_clay
03-20-2011, 02:58 PM

Personally I hope he plays well today ;)

star
03-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Personally I hope he plays well today ;)

Me too. :)

rafa_maniac
03-20-2011, 08:36 PM
No biggie if he doesn't win, Nole is simply the best on HCs right now. Anyway, it's Miami I really want.

Metis
03-20-2011, 08:43 PM

We (100% truly Rafa fans) choose to always be with humble.

Metis
03-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Nadal-Djokovic 6-4 3-6 2-6

1st - Bye
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
QF - rafa_maniac
SF - Betty, Metis, vn01
F -

born_on_clay, MariaV, Minn, scoobs, tennizen: painful FAIL :tape:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/1/30/8d268aa2-4c2e-41cc-b4d2-bbd883e91d40.jpg (http://cheezburger.com/View/4409462784)

No winners in IW. 1000 points go to waste. :speakles: I declare this tournament a complete FAIL!

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0903/epic-face-palm-face-palm-demotivational-poster-1236742013.jpg

cobalt60
03-20-2011, 11:26 PM
:awww: I know this hurts for many of you cuz he lost to Nole but :awww: So gracious in defeat :worship:

FlameOn
03-20-2011, 11:46 PM
I'm sad for Rafa. :bigcry: But clay's coming soon, and before that he'll have a chance in Miami to redeem himself.

Keep going champ. :bowdown:

l_mac
03-20-2011, 11:55 PM
You suck Rafa.

RETIRE.

klyne
03-20-2011, 11:57 PM
I'm sad for Rafa. :bigcry: But clay's coming soon, and before that he'll have a chance in Miami to redeem himself.

Keep going champ. :bowdown:

im with u F..but this lost is a bummer..:banghead::bigcry:
corret me if my wrong,so rafa havent won any tourny title this year??
cant wait for FO..go rafa still got plenty of time to redeem urself..were right behind u:rocker2:

acionescu
03-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Loser ass indeed :(

Ben.
03-21-2011, 12:03 AM
Can't decide if this was worse than just being rolled by Nole. Seemed to have it in the bag at one point and totally went away, extremely unlike Rafa to check out for such an extended period.

FlameOn
03-21-2011, 12:08 AM
A title in Miami would be better actually. He's never won it before while he's been there, done that twice with Indian Wells. ;)

Edda
03-21-2011, 01:08 AM
I feel so bad for Rafa. He looked so tired. Good luck in Miami, Rafa! Rest well and don't exhaust yourself. I don't want you getting sick again.

Mimi
03-21-2011, 02:50 AM
i do not accept a runner-up plate, i hate him losing in finals :bigcry:. he has lost his invincibilty at finals :bigcry:

born_on_clay
03-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Rafa had no serve in 2&3 set.
Where the hell is his US Open 2010 serve ? :mad:
Djokovic was just putting the ball inside the court so Rafa can make an unforced error
Good first set and terrible finish from Rafa
Stupid exho :mad:

MariaV
03-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Was this the most epic fail ever? :o :tape: :sad:

MariaV
03-21-2011, 09:25 AM
i do not accept a runner-up plate, i hate him losing in finals :bigcry:. he has lost his invincibilty at finals :bigcry:

Yes Mimi, and if he's tired and with that stupid exho there's no way he's gonna be fresh and fit for Miami. Better go and train that serve Rafa! :mad: :mad: :mad: :o

Edda
03-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Skip this stupid exho, Rafa! What a stupid idea in the first place!

acionescu
03-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Disgusting title :(

vn01
03-21-2011, 04:19 PM
I am not very happy, but Rafa reached the Final is his 1st tournament after the injury. I expected SF, but he made more, plus added 240 more points. I think it was not that bad tournament for Nadal. I'd like to see him winning Miami and I see a good chance of doing it.