For all AppleTards out there (in good fun) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

For all AppleTards out there (in good fun)

Arkulari
03-09-2011, 06:00 AM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/header.png

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/1.png

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/2.png

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/3.png

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/4.png

:haha: :haha:

GlennMirnyi
03-09-2011, 06:35 AM
I'm a Mac maniac (I have an iMac, a Macbook, the iPod classic, the iPhone 4 and the iPad - and also had 3 other iPods and an older Macbook) and feel that's a bit biased and a bit true. :p

Things are like that with pretty much everywhere in the tech world. Apple's just more targeted because its products are avant-garde in tech trends.

Arkulari
03-09-2011, 07:27 AM
I just feel it's funny that there are people who sleep outside of the stores to buy their products :lol:

Chiseller
03-09-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm sure I've seen this in '08

Certinfy
03-09-2011, 03:42 PM
:haha:

GlennMirnyi
03-09-2011, 04:05 PM
I just feel it's funny that there are people who sleep outside of the stores to buy their products :lol:

I wouldn't do it but to each his own. These days, technological breakthrough is probably the most palpable way of seeing progress as it happens.

Pfloyd
03-09-2011, 04:14 PM
:lol:

Still, I maintain that in many parts Blackberry's are even worse than many Ipod products.

Arkulari
03-09-2011, 06:19 PM

Still, I maintain that in many parts Blackberry's are even worse than many Ipod products.

the PIN culture :unsure:

I have a BB due to work needs but I never chat there ;)

Certinfy
03-09-2011, 06:37 PM
BBs are the most overrated piece of technology IMO :lol: BBM so overrated as well :o

Dini
03-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Once you're a Mac you never go back. :inlove:

ExcaliburII
03-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Ihate Macpeople

fast_clay
03-09-2011, 10:35 PM
will gargle balls for money

pretty much sums up the typical mac users i know... they go ape shit everytime steve jobs farts, eats or has a shave...

GlennMirnyi
03-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Ihate Macpeople

Booo. That's just envy talking.

Arkulari
03-10-2011, 01:11 AM

pretty much sums up the typical mac users i know... they go ape shit everytime steve jobs farts, eats or has a shave...

I know a lot of those as well :lol:

allpro
03-10-2011, 02:54 AM
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/1783/jobst.jpg

pray to your ipad. bow to it. let it transfix you....and do it soon because we will be releasing ipad 3 which will make this one look like a total piece of crap.
peace out, namaste....

Seingeist
03-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Style over substance. No thank you.

I'm a PC all the way.

scoobs
03-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Ihate Macpeople

I knew there had to be *something* we agreed on.

Well, hate's a strong word, but the iCultists are just disturbing.

GlennMirnyi
03-11-2011, 02:12 AM
Style over substance. No thank you.

I'm a PC all the way.

Yeah, because the PC has a lot of substance.

The amount of ignorance people show when talking about things they know jack shit about is astonishing.

Ilovetheblues_86
03-11-2011, 03:14 AM
DLxq90xmYUs&feature=related

------------
/ /--- \ \
| | / - \ |
| | | | |
| | \- / |
\ \--- /
-----

Pirata.
03-11-2011, 03:35 AM
We used Macs all through school, can't stand them. PC for life.

But I do have an iPhone ;) Thought about getting an iPad, but I really just want a portable book reader, so I'll probably get Kindle or something.

theMEESH
03-11-2011, 11:52 PM

It's weirder when people sleep outside for video games IMO... but pretty much the same thing :lol: I wouldn't do that. I'm not that dedicated.

theMEESH
03-11-2011, 11:54 PM
wait... isn't theOatmeal responsible for creating those fucking tumbeasts on tumblr?!?!?!?!?!?!? :mad:

*sorry random tumblr goes down about as much as MTF moment*

Seingeist
03-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Yeah, because the PC has a lot of substance.

The amount of ignorance people show when talking about things they know jack shit about is astonishing.

Your last sentence is exactly right, because you just jammed your foot directly into your mouth.

I work in the PC tech department (we do diagnostics, service, repair, upgrade, etc.) of a major electronics retail chain here in the US. I am a thoroughgoing computer enthusiast and have built several desktops for friends and family.

I know the strong aand weak points of PC's and Apples. The success of the latter is due much more to branding and stylization than it is to the range of functionality and software that it brings to the table.

Take your own advice, Mirnyi, and stop making yourself look like a complete fool via ignorant assumptions and interjections into topics in which you are completely out of your element.

However, if I start trotting out tired and long-refuted Marxist tripe, feel free to wade into the discussion with full expertise. :wavey:

Dini
03-12-2011, 03:16 PM
I got a MacBook Pro for my birthday last year and whilst the transition at first was slightly tedious trying to learn how to print screen and getting used to the Cmd key etc, I don't see where the Mac lacks in terms of software for the average user when compared to PC. I don't know about earlier versions, but I have all the programs that I had on my PC and other things like iMovie, iTunes and Garage Band heck even Photobooth, are in my opinion, better than the PC equivalents. I also seem to get fewer crashes on my Mac, though that might be just me.

Sure the prices are on the ridiculous side, but in the long term I feel I've got my money's worth. And yes they are stylish, but it does not lack in substance. That is a myth.

Bilbo
03-12-2011, 03:46 PM
I don't see where the Mac lacks in terms of software for the average user when compared to PC.

...but in industry, business, etc. which is more important.

Using Apple hardware and software you are pretty much limited in some areas and Apple is trying to connect it's devices more and more so you have to buy all their products. Just think about the advantages of Android compard to iOS. Apple is mainly about design and marketing but what is inside is nothing spectacular nor better than what a PC can offer. Apart from this Apple hardware has become very mainstream and is nothing special anymore.

I also seem to get fewer crashes on my Mac, though that might be just me.

I haven't had one in many years on my PC and I do run quite a lot of programs at the same time.

GlennMirnyi
03-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Your last sentence is exactly right, because you just jammed your foot directly into your mouth.

I work in the PC tech department (we do diagnostics, service, repair, upgrade, etc.) of a major electronics retail chain here in the US. I am a thoroughgoing computer enthusiast and have built several desktops for friends and family.

I know the strong aand weak points of PC's and Apples. The success of the latter is due much more to branding and stylization than it is to the range of functionality and software that it brings to the table.

Take your own advice, Mirnyi, and stop making yourself look like a complete fool via ignorant assumptions and interjections into topics in which you are completely out of your element.

However, if I start trotting out tired and long-refuted Marxist tripe, feel free to wade into the discussion with full expertise. :wavey:

So what? Any trained monkey can "build" crap desktops. I could do that with my eyes closed and breathing carbon dioxide.

Apple's success comes from better software (especially the operating system and its kernel), computer architecture and quality.

PCs are just a bunch of generic parts put together haphazardly. Windows is an awful operating system. Not even "brand" PCs can actually keep stable sleeping/waking procedures.

If I were a costumer of your employer I'd be shocked to hear that from an employee.

PCs have their advantages but SUBSTANCE is surely not one of them.

GlennMirnyi
03-12-2011, 04:27 PM

Using Apple hardware and software you are pretty much limited in some areas and Apple is trying to connect it's devices more and more so you have to buy all their products. Just think about the advantages of Android compard to iOS. Apple is mainly about design and marketing but what is inside is nothing spectacular nor better than what a PC can offer. Apart from this Apple hardware has become very mainstream and is nothing special anymore.

I haven't had one in many years on my PC and I do run quite a lot of programs at the same time.

What are the advantages of Android?

It runs on crap phones, that's why it's worse. It also has no app store behind it.

Apple's strength is the software/hardware integration. There might be better software or hardware out there but they're never as good combined as Apple's deliveries. There's a reason the iPad has something like 80% of the market. There's a reason the iPhone is still the market leader. Marketing is important but no marketing survives a crap experience and the iPhone/iPod/iPad experience is top notch.

Tell me why then a Mac is way faster than a PC with the same specs, if the hardware is nothing to write home about? Hardware means nothing if it's not well designed (and I mean computational architecture here, not external design) and has a crap OS like Windows over it. Again, Apple's winning hand will always be the software/hardware integration. You don't get many specs options but the options you have will run perfectly.

Arkulari
03-12-2011, 04:59 PM

I have to agree with you in the bolded part, in the industry setting no one is using Apple for the lack of compatibility, and many of us who work for multinational corporations use PC, not always with Windows (oh yeah, try running my workstation with that :rolleyes: it has to be Linux) for the wide array of services and compatible software, outside of Apple there aren't many companies who develop software and apps for the Mac OS, that makes them a liability (running a process control with Mac OS would practically be suicide).

Apple is great for home use and for some designers/filmakers, the artist people and sometimes gamers, but never for industry or business.

Chiseller
03-12-2011, 10:46 PM

It runs on crap phones, that's why it's worse. It also has no app store behind it.

Apple's strength is the software/hardware integration. There might be better software or hardware out there but they're never as good combined as Apple's deliveries. There's a reason the iPad has something like 80% of the market. There's a reason the iPhone is still the market leader. Marketing is important but no marketing survives a crap experience and the iPhone/iPod/iPad experience is top notch.

Tell me why then a Mac is way faster than a PC with the same specs, if the hardware is nothing to write home about? Hardware means nothing if it's not well designed (and I mean computational architecture here, not external design) and has a crap OS like Windows over it. Again, Apple's winning hand will always be the software/hardware integration. You don't get many specs options but the options you have will run perfectly.

Android runs on many phones, some are 'crap' - as you eloquently put it - and others are just as good or better than Apple's offering. That's the nature of diversity. Also, the last time I checked there was an android market.
The reason the iPad has 80% market share is because they were first to really push tablets forward and make them attractive to the general public. Similar to the first two iPhones.

Mac isn't faster than a PC with the same specs, it's a readily told story though. The hardware is indeed nothing to write home about as the latest MacBook Pros proved once again. Though, the average consumer doesn't care how many cores his CPU has or whether a last gen GPU is built in. He wants a good looking and properly running device and Apple is doing that better than any other computer manufacturer.

emotion
03-15-2011, 02:53 PM
I admit I'm an AppleTard, but I love Oatmeal

Arkulari
04-23-2011, 04:12 AM
http://www.newint.org/features/2011/04/01/islave-foxconn-suicides-workers/

Last year a startling 18 Chinese migrant workers attempted suicide at Foxconn production facilities located in Guangdong, Jiangsu and Hebei Provinces. Fourteen died, while four survived with critical injuries. All were between 17 and 25 years old. Why did they, in the prime of youth, give up on their lives?

In 2010, Foxconn recorded all-time high annual revenues of $79.1 billion – even higher than some of its corporate customers such as Microsoft, Nokia or Dell. Consumers around the globe face a dizzying array of choice in the latest electronics gadgets such as the iPhone 4, the iPod, and, forthcoming, the slimmer tablet computer iPad 2. These are all produced by the million-plus Foxconn workers in China alone. The company is projected to capture 50 per cent of the world market share in electronics manufacturing and service by mid-2011.

Foxconn grew out of the Taipei-based parent company Hon Hai in 1988. Its strategy was to invest in the lower-cost Shenzhen Special Economic Zone bordering Hong Kong, where local government provided cheap industrial land and tax exemptions. And it had a ready labour force: the 230 million ‘peasant-workers’ of China – flexible, cheap, perfect for just-in-time production.

According to Foxconn CEO Terry Gou, a leader must be ‘a dictator for the common good’. Under his leadership, one enormous factory has constructed its own ‘city within a city’ in Shenzhen, southern China, where company managers and security officers retain supra-governmental control over workers.

Every factory building and dormitory has security checkpoints with guards standing by 24 hours. Assembly workers wear uniforms colour-coded by their department. When they were interviewed, they constantly stressed how the multilayered electronic entry access system felt like a total loss of freedom.

While getting ready to start work on the production lines, management will ask the workers: ‘How are you?’ Workers must respond by shouting in unison: ‘Good! Very good! Very, very good!’ The management undertakes this drilling process to instill discipline. Workers elaborated how they are scolded and punished when they talked on the line, failed to catch up with the high speed of work, or made mistakes in work procedures.

According to a woman working on the soldering line attaching speakers to MP3- and MP4-format digital audio players: ‘After work, all of us – more than 100 persons – are made to stay behind. It happens whenever workers get punished. A girl is forced to stand at attention to read aloud a statement of self-criticism. She must be loud enough to be heard. Our line leader would ask if the worker at the far end of the workshop could hear clearly the mistake she has made. Oftentimes girls feel like they are losing face. It’s very embarrassing. Her tears drop. Her voice becomes very small.’

Line leaders are also under pressure, and treat workers harshly to reach productivity targets. The bottom line for management is daily output, not workers’ feelings. Branded electronic products are expensive and there is no margin for mistakes. A female worker interviewee was punished for forgetting to fix a screw in an iPhone. She was made to copy Terry Gou’s quotes such as ‘A harsh environment is a good thing’ 300 times.

Workers told us1 that after a basic wage increase to 1,200 yuan per month ($182) in June 2010, an increase in production was scheduled. A member of a group of young workers responsible for processing cellphone casing testified: ‘The production output was set at 5,120 pieces per day in the past but it had been raised by 20 per cent to 6,400 pieces per day. We were completely exhausted.’

Foxconn deploys time-and-motion studies, statistical control processes, and computerized engineering devices to test worker capacity. The target is to increase speed until worker capacity is maximized. According to one worker: ‘We cannot stop for a minute from work. We are even faster than machines.’ Another reported: ‘During really busy times, I don’t even have time to eat or go to the bathroom.’

Buyers of Foxconn products want their computers and iPhones fast. The company is moving towards 24-hour non-stop conveyor belts to meet global demand. This drive for productivity and quality means constant pressure on Foxconn workers. Posters on the workshop walls and between staircases read:

‘Value efficiency every minute, every second;

Achieve goals unless the sun no longer rises;

The devil is in the details.’

Workers are organized into fixed seating or standing positions along production lines for a typical shift of 12 hours – of which four are overtime. The rotating day and night shift system takes away any feeling of freshness, accomplishment or initiative toward work. Typical worker comments to us were: ‘The air conditioners are only here for the sake of the machinery’ and ‘I am just a speck of dust in the workshop.’

Most migrant workers live in factory-provided dormitories because they are unable to afford even a small apartment. For companies like Foxconn the dormitory labour system is cost-efficient, ensuring workers spend their off-hours just preparing for another round of production. Workers are provided with ‘conveniences’ like dormitories and canteens to incorporate the entire living space in factory management. Food and drink, sleep, even washing are all scheduled tasks like those on production lines. Workers with different jobs and even different shifts are mixed in the same dormitory. They frequently disrupt each others’ rest. Random dormitory reassignments break up friendship networks, increasing isolation and loneliness.

Workers live with strangers, are not allowed to cook, and cannot receive friends or families overnight. Whether you are single or married, private space is limited to one’s own bed behind a self-made curtain.

In the wake of the suicides, Foxconn has installed three million square metres of safety nets – the so-called ‘nets with a loving heart’. The anti-suicide nets are hung around outdoor stairways of dormitory buildings to prevent employees from jumping. This has not, however, stopped the suicides. On 7 January this year, a 25-year-old university graduate worker jumped to her death at Foxconn’s flagship plant in Shenzhen.

In China, the new market economy – driven by the state, transnational capital and the people themselves – is based on a radical redefinition of needs and desires. Rural migrants long for a life attuned to the times, and the city is where everything is happening. Some young workers, who were born in the 1980s or 1990s, have been in the city since their childhood and do not possess farming skills. The higher the younger migrant workers’ aspiration, the more obvious the contrast to harsh reality. Through various forms of protest, of which suicide is the most desperate expression, they are trying to reclaim their rights and dignity.

Suicide must not become the only desperate means to resist social injustice. Concrete improvements should start at Foxconn but not end there. Without stronger social and legal protection of workers’ rights and support from the government, it seems certain we will witness a growing roll-call of deaths. Western consumers of electronic gadgets must become active advocates of humane production standards.

GlennMirnyi
04-23-2011, 04:14 AM
That's capitalism for you.

GugaF1
04-23-2011, 04:33 AM
Hey, one thing I was wondering these days about IT. Why does the US leads so much in IT? I mean think about it, nearly all the companies you can think of be Software or Hardware are Americans. Nearly all Chips, CPUS, Not only that but Internet cloud companies such as Google, Facebook, Yahoo, MSN etc.. all Americans I don't really get the reason of why.

I mean of course the US is a huge powerhouse in several industries this is not new, but in most industries are heavily globalized be Pharma, Auto, Airplanes, TVs, electro etc.. you can think of several European, Asian comapnies as well. But in PC technology is almost a US monopoly. the only one that comes close is the Japan, but even so mostly in Hardware. I don't understand why this industry has not more globalized.

fast_clay
05-27-2011, 06:11 AM
:haha: http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm182/patma2003/si4.gifdedicated to the memory of the departed GlennMirnyi

http://www.27bslash6.com/jason.html

Certinfy
05-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Once you're a Mac you never go back. :inlove:
I disagree with this, I have a MacBook myself and I've tried to use it and what not but I just can't, just prefer my Windows laptop so much more, does everything I need it to do.

The only ever Apple product I would ever consider buying (didn't even buy the MacBook) is an iPhone, which I will get when the next version is released. But besides that nothing interests me, I don't see the point in an iPad when you can get touchscreen laptops and what not.

Certinfy
05-28-2011, 06:32 PM

It runs on crap phones, that's why it's worse. It also has no app store behind it.Android is a brilliant OS in it's own rights, but runs on crap phones? I'm sure you'll find many Android phones now are A LOT more powerful than the iPhone 4, it's just iOS 'works' in that sense. Just imagine iOS running on a SGS2 or something, that would be scary.

Android Store isn't great, but it's no where near bad, it's at least decent but yeah it can't compare to the App Store (yet).

Tell me why then a Mac is way faster than a PC with the same specs, if the hardware is nothing to write home about? Hardware means nothing if it's not well designed (and I mean computational architecture here, not external design) and has a crap OS like Windows over it. Again, Apple's winning hand will always be the software/hardware integration. You don't get many specs options but the options you have will run perfectly.Fair enough about Macs being faster than PCs with the same specs, but the thing here is for the same price as a Mac you can get a PC with a hell of a lot better specs...

Bilbo
05-28-2011, 06:55 PM
The only ever Apple product I would ever consider buying (didn't even buy the MacBook) is an iPhone, which I will get when the next version is released. But besides that nothing interests me, I don't see the point in an iPad when you can get touchscreen laptops and what not.

Why would you buy an iPhone when Samsung has better smartphones?

Certinfy
05-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Why would you buy an iPhone when Samsung has better smartphones?
Only plan on keeping the phone about 6 months, so just want to sell the phone for more then and the iPhone seems to hold it's value a lot better.

DualMedia
06-01-2011, 06:33 PM
I can't wiat until the Iphone 5 comes out.

kooties
06-04-2011, 03:54 AM
Can't stand Apple's business practices, and MACs are lackluster and overpriced IMO.

I bought whatever was the latest model of 2009 (for christmas), and ended up installing Windows on it anyway. Looking back, I wish that I just built my own computer, would've been better performance wise, and a whole lot cheaper.