Indian Wells - BNP Paribas Open - 2011 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Indian Wells - BNP Paribas Open - 2011

CelinaCarpina
03-09-2011, 03:13 AM
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/190457_139236899476467_100001704736961_233950_2094 75_n.jpg
image of draw via courtney jade.

TravelingFanGirl
03-09-2011, 04:04 AM
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/190457_139236899476467_100001704736961_233950_2094 75_n.jpg
image of draw via courtney jade.

:yeah:

Sonja1989
03-09-2011, 05:23 AM
Pretty bad draw. :sad: I think he will beat Hewitt/Lu but Djokovic is very hard opponent now. Good luck!!!

E forever
03-09-2011, 10:16 AM
another bad draw for gulbis

Ginevra83
03-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Not a good draw at all...again!!
Good luck Erenests...and good luck Celina to catch him next sunday:p

CelinaCarpina
03-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks Ginevra! And yeah it sucks that he had to get such a sucky draw. But remember girls our boy can beat and hit through any guy on the tour, its just up to E if he can step up his game. ;)

-Evita-
03-09-2011, 08:57 PM
I find it pointless to worry about his draw other than his first opponent. Ernests hasn't been in the greatest of forms recently (and also ill) so I won't be surprised if he loses to Hewitt. In fact, I'll be surprised if he wins. And that's a sad state of affairs :awww:

The good thing is that he will have hawk-eye no matter on which court he plays. Knowing how he frequently gets frustrated about bad calls, that's got to help him.

rafaelita
03-10-2011, 11:07 AM
I like the "one step at the time" approach best ;). Novak’s been really good, hopefully Ernests will find that rather motivational than worrying. That is if he thinks about it, doubt that he would actually :shrug:

I’m getting a bit impatient at the thought of seeing him play again so I’m really looking forward to this tournament. It feels like forever between tournaments and I don't like it at all:tape:

That being said,
Go Ernie :rocker2:

banhhe
03-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Have you girls seen any pics of him practicing? That worries me too :lol:

TravelingFanGirl
03-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Have you girls seen any pics of him practicing? That worries me too :lol:

One of the girls at the tournament who is on twitter right now said he was on the practice schedule yesterday but she didn't see him around. Hopefully we will get a sighting for him soon! Don't worry yet. :p

And I agree with the one match at a time. That's usually how I think but I guess since I saw Novak's name so close to his, I jumped the gun a tiny bit ;) I'm really looking forward to Ernests playing more. It's never easy to predict how he will play on court on any given day but it's even harder to predict when we get these big tournament gaps and or combined with no live streams.

CelinaCarpina
03-10-2011, 11:09 PM
I'll be at indian wells starting tomorrow girls! I'll track down our boy ;)

E forever
03-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Goodluck to you celina

don't forget gulbis pic *-*

TravelingFanGirl
03-11-2011, 08:37 PM
I heard Ernests is on the practice schedule twice today! Hope we get a lot of tweets about it from the girls at the tournament! :p I can't wait to see pictures!

Ginevra83
03-11-2011, 09:12 PM
I heard Ernests is on the practice schedule twice today! Hope we get a lot of tweets about it from the girls at the tournament! :p I can't wait to see pictures!

me too, me too:p
I really miss him...
:wavey:

TravelingFanGirl
03-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Ernests is practicing with Fish right now. Our wonderful Celina posted this on her twitter so all photo credit needs to be given to her! ( @CelinaCarpina ) And if you aren't following her on twitter, YOU BETTER BE!
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg614/scaled.php?tn=0&server=614&filename=1wkrl.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

I really love him in that purple!! :drool:

Edit: I know this picture would fit better in the picture thread but I'll let Celina post all her pictures there when she gets back! Don't wanna take that away from her! :p

CelinaCarpina
03-12-2011, 03:32 AM
Awww thanks Courtney! ;) I'll gets the pics loaded as soon as I get home girls!

kryptonmania
03-12-2011, 05:40 AM
Lu defeated Hewitt today so Ernests will play Lu on Sunday.
Good luck to you, Ernests!

FlameOn
03-12-2011, 05:57 AM
Let's go Ernests. :bigclap:

I_Dasco
03-12-2011, 06:01 AM
Congraaaats Ernests :D

osmonde
03-12-2011, 07:06 AM
Falling to no: 34 (well seeded at IW 31) produces that kind of draw: meeting a top player in 3rd round and it will be the same for Miami because they keep the same ATP ranking. But he could have been a bit luckier nevertheless as some lower players have got some Q. Anyway, he has it the hard way.

It happened in Rotterdam when he met Novak on 1st round.

I just hope he keeps his mind set because it seems Hernan was not around today being replaced by Brad Gilbert on practice court!!!

Lu will be more dangerous than Hewitt, just hope Sunday won't be to hot because those days, it is steaming hot in the desert.

TravelingFanGirl
03-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Falling to no: 34 (well seeded at IW 31) produces that kind of draw: meeting a top player in 3rd round and it will be the same for Miami because they keep the same ATP ranking. But he could have been a bit luckier nevertheless as some lower players have got some Q. Anyway, he has it the hard way.

It happened in Rotterdam when he met Novak on 1st round.

I just hope he keeps his mind set because it seems Hernan was not around today being replaced by Brad Gilbert on practice court!!!

Lu will be more dangerous than Hewitt, just hope Sunday won't be to hot because those days, it is steaming hot in the desert.

Darren Cahill not Brad Gilbert.

but-it's-ok
03-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Hewitt lost,wow didnt expect that!!:eek:

Good luck to Ernests vs Lu:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Sonja1989
03-12-2011, 04:49 PM
I scared about Hewitt. Never knows how play he...
Good luck Ernie!!! :D

osmonde
03-13-2011, 12:55 AM
Jade Daren the killer, I mixed them up because Gilbert was on twitter and in Vegas as well, while Ernests was there.

Here is a pic of Ernests and Daren this afternoon at pratice court.

http://twitpic.com/48xoxu

OOP is out for tomorrow: Sunday, Ernests will play the last match on court 4
No stream, but at least it won't be to hot late in the afternoon.

I wish Golubev could kick out Djoko as Young did to Murray today...but I think it won't happen. Would have been nice if our man would have been in Murray's bracket though.

but-it's-ok
03-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Too late for me to follow:sad: Wishing him all the best of course:rocker2:

Sheila
03-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Hope he has a great tournament :hug:

He has the talent to beat Djokovic if he makes it to that round - it will be tough but I'm remaining hopeful:D

kryptonmania
03-14-2011, 02:58 AM
Ernests did poorly in the first set's tiebreak, but he managed to win the second set's tiebreak.
Come on Ernests! You can beat Lu.

FlameOn
03-14-2011, 03:05 AM
3-0 in third. Keep fighting Ernie. :bigclap:

Alejax
03-14-2011, 03:32 AM
I'm happy for him, I think that this was the kind of match he was needing the most. He struggled the first set and lost it at the end, then he didn't give up and kept fighting to stay in the match winning the second set with a lot of effort and at the end he finished winning the match strongly (I don't know if at the third set Lu give up or was physically tired because from the stats is difficult to know)but this should help Ernests confidence. Winning is always good to him, specially after this kind of matches which he has to give his best. Maybe I'm overestimating Lu, but to me this was never an easy match to play

So Congrats Ernests !!!!!! :hug::bigclap:

banhhe
03-14-2011, 04:19 AM
I like wooowww :eek: when I looked at the score. I knew he should have had difficulties in this match when I left at 5-5 in the 1st but who would have thought that he would win a tight tb in the second (:p) I guess any gulbistard who followed the scores should have a heart attack

Bravo Ernests! :bigclap:

btw, can anyone give me a little report on how the second and third set went? :D

ellen_
03-14-2011, 06:28 AM
Nice! It looks indeed like a good match to follow on livescoring :lol:

Next up: Nole! A bit difficult for me but I'm going all for Ernie in this one :banana: Novak had enough so far this year ;)

osmonde
03-14-2011, 07:18 AM
In 2nd set, he got broke early but broke back immediately to even the score; he then was 5-5 and broke Lu and at 6-5 he could not close the set as he got broken to love: tie break. That's where the heart attack occured.
But he won it 9-7 after saving a BP. Ouf!
3rd set he went up 3-0 then 4-1 and on to a winner.
He increased his % of serves and returns through his 3 sets which finally gave him the match. Volleys??? Scoreboard doesn't show it.

This could have been so good to watch and share his satisfaction.
Next match will be streamed and Nole, being on another level, might bring us another feeling; wish I am mistaking.
Nole doesn't endure high temperature, but so do Ernests...no hope there.

So proud for the moment because when he loses early, I'm always afraid he would quit tennis by disgust.

Sheila
03-14-2011, 07:53 AM
Well done to him for hanging on in there and winning!
Good luck to him for his next match x

banhhe
03-14-2011, 08:09 AM
In 2nd set, he got broke early but broke back immediately to even the score; he then was 5-5 and broke Lu and at 6-5 he could not close the set as he got broken to love: tie break. That's where the heart attack occured.
But he won it 9-7 after saving a BP. Ouf!
3rd set he went up 3-0 then 4-1 and on to a winner.
He increased his % of serves and returns through his 3 sets which finally gave him the match. Volleys??? Scoreboard doesn't show it.

This could have been so good to watch and share his satisfaction.
Next match will be streamed and Nole, being on another level, might bring us another feeling; wish I am mistaking.
Nole doesn't endure high temperature, but so do Ernests...no hope there.

So proud for the moment because when he loses early, I'm always afraid he would quit tennis by disgust.

thanks Osmonde :worship: I don't know if I should be positive about what happened in the third set or not because physically, Lu cannot be compared to Ernests, but I'll take the positive side in the next match with Nole :yeah:

Good luck Ernests :bounce: and I hope they will schedule the match at the time that I can watch :o

eze
03-14-2011, 08:17 AM
Congrats to all Ernests fans on this difficult win.
I think it is the best scenario before Djokovic game. Ernests knows he can come back from 6-7 5-3 and he proved he wants to fight and is not in a giving up mood.
Djokovic is supposedly on the wave and had a very easy win over Golubev and given Ernests last couple of performances could underestemate our boy a bit.
So I see this one going to whoever is best physically on the day.

-Evita-
03-14-2011, 09:23 AM
I'm happy for him, I think that this was the kind of match he was needing the most. He struggled the first set and lost it at the end, then he didn't give up and kept fighting to stay in the match winning the second set with a lot of effort and at the end he finished winning the match strongly (I don't know if at the third set Lu give up or was physically tired because from the stats is difficult to know)but this should help Ernests confidence. Winning is always good to him, specially after this kind of matches which he has to give his best. Maybe I'm overestimating Lu, but to me this was never an easy match to play

So Congrats Ernests !!!!!! :hug::bigclap:

This is exactly what I'm thinking, this match should be good for Ernie's confidence. I'm so happy :banana:

but-it's-ok
03-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Great fighting win:yeah: So happy Ernests could pull this result off,from such a difficult position:yeah: Well done Ernests:banana::hug:

I'm excited for his next match!:bounce::bounce:

-Evita-
03-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Here's a report from someone who was at the match:

I did spent sometime in court 4 before Nole's match to scout his opponent. Gulbis vs Lu. This is one crazy match and both players managed to lose focus for no obvious reason. :rolleyes: I was there half way thru the first set. Lu was solid and Gulbis was UE machine especially in TB where Lu won. More or less the same at the beginning of 2nd set. At 2-2 30-0 Lu, Gulbis for no special reason, broke his racquet and got a warning. Both players did not do anything on return until 3-4 Gulbis serve. He was 15-30, served a DF and then Lu's return clipped the baseline. I thought that's it for Gulbis because Lu had been solid the whole match. It seemed that Lu did not expect to win vs Gulbis and just horror after horror while serving for the match and was broken at love, twice. After 12 consecutive points by Gulbis, he was to serve for the set at 6-5 and guess what, Ernie lost his service game at love. :rolls: :rolls: :rolls: It's a really, really bad and even I lost focus at the match. Another error fest TB and Ernie managed to win it. I left as Nole's match was about to start.

Anyway, unless Ernie improves tremendously in 2 days, it will be another match like tonight's.

ellen_
03-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Oh... That's nice to read :tape:

Sonja1989
03-15-2011, 12:38 AM
Oh, congrats Ernests!!! Great win. :D

osmonde
03-15-2011, 02:51 AM
OOP Tuesday: Nole vs Ernests---11:00am stadium 1

Early match: not good for Ernie and heat at the top.
Only reason to have a no:3 scheduled that early: Nole plays in double later in the day :(
Was hoping for a night match. Oh well. it will probably be a farewell.

Davai Ernests. We support you whatever.

CelinaCarpina
03-15-2011, 05:30 AM
Damn I shouldve been at that match, I wouldve asked E for his broken racket! :crying2: LOL.

but-it's-ok
03-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Good luck Ernests!:rocker2::rocker2:

eze
03-15-2011, 09:02 AM
I´m nervous about todays game, deep in my heart I beleive Ernests can do it.
Crossing fingers..

ellen_
03-15-2011, 06:59 PM
He can do this indeed. Will light a candle though :p Come on, Ernie! :bounce:

BlueLighthouse
03-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Ernie in white on TV - OMG :wavey:

Need to :drink: :drink: :drink: to calm my nerves...

ellen_
03-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Oh goodness, what is happening :awww:

but-it's-ok
03-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Come on Ernests,you're better than this! You cant afford to gift wrap almost every point out there!

He looks like he wants to get out of there already! This serving,its just dreadful!:awww:

TravelingFanGirl
03-15-2011, 07:36 PM
He knows he blew possibly the best chance he is going to get & I think it rattled him way too much. A lot of times it takes Ernests a little while before he gains momentum in a match, however it's harder to recover from that with the top guys. From what I heard, Novak is undefeated so far this year. He has unbelievable confidence right now. :tape:

Let's hope we can have a more competitive second set.

but-it's-ok
03-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Dear God!:sobbing: I cant take this!:sobbing::sobbing: Ernests,what is wrong with you?

ellen_
03-15-2011, 07:40 PM
You just knew after that first game it would get into his head. From then on, he rushed everything.

Nothing lost yet, but a better 2nd set is needed :p

but-it's-ok
03-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Ernests,dear,Nole is not a registered charity,he doesn;t want for anything:p

TravelingFanGirl
03-15-2011, 07:46 PM
He did start rushing after that point. He hit shots he wasn't in position for and couldn't get a ball in the court. Let's hope he will settle and it will be a closer second set! COME ON ERNESTS! Saņemies!

UGH! They keep going to the woman's match instead of Ernests. I may have to get a stream going. Thanks tennis channel! Pfft!

but-it's-ok
03-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Ernests,I just don't get this. I havent seen anything this bad in years.

TravelingFanGirl
03-15-2011, 07:48 PM
"I wonder if he has early lunch reservations today."- Commentator. :rolleyes:

but-it's-ok
03-15-2011, 07:49 PM
It does make you wonder though..he needs to breathe for a start.

I cant see him even winning a game here:sobbing:

ellen_
03-15-2011, 07:51 PM
"I get the feeling Ernests is not a morning person" - my commentator :spit:

This is really, really bad...

but-it's-ok
03-15-2011, 07:53 PM
The slaughtering he's gonna get from all kinds of people,I fear for him greatly here. Nole is so ruthless these days. There will be no lack of concentration on his part whatsoever.

hollabee
03-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Ugh, this match is actually shocking :(

but-it's-ok
03-15-2011, 07:55 PM
A game. Dear God.

TravelingFanGirl
03-15-2011, 07:56 PM
That was an ace & he didn't challenge. :sad: At least he is now on the scoreboard! Ugh, and my stream has it say "Thomaz Djokovic" and it's annoying.

TravelingFanGirl
03-15-2011, 07:56 PM
"It makes you want to giggle inside"- Commentator. Uh no I don't think any of us are giggling. Come on Ernests baby!

but-it's-ok
03-15-2011, 07:58 PM
:sobbing::sobbing:

Sheila
03-15-2011, 08:03 PM
I wonder what his problem is today. Its horrible seeing him play so badly.

TravelingFanGirl
03-15-2011, 08:05 PM
You know what worries me during a match. Whenever Ernests is loosing and he doesn't show emotion, it's never a good sign over the level of fight he will show during the match. Everyone always gets on him for breaking a racket or yelling at himself but in a way that sometimes helps push himself at least a little. Right now there is no emotion what so ever, there is just...nothing.

:hug: I love this man so much but this is the worst performance from him so far this year. Hopefully he will recover mentally & just put this match past him quickly.

but-it's-ok
03-15-2011, 08:08 PM
Its my sincere wish that this is as bad as he will EVER play.

I sometimes wonder if he's now working too hard physically and not hard enough technically. Just a thought:shrug:

And I'll repeat...Ernests please get a sports psychologist to help you with your breathing in matches,to learn to relax,focus.

Its a shame:awww:

I hope that the only way is up now,at least in terms of quality of play,if not results.

Its hard to take,but we're together as one. Ernests:hug::hug:

ellen_
03-15-2011, 08:09 PM
He did not show any emotion at all indeed. But I really can't remember seeing him play this badly... On to the next, and waiting for a better form once again :)

For him, and for my fan-colleagues :hug:

but-it's-ok
03-15-2011, 08:11 PM
He did not show any emotion at all indeed. But I really can't remember seeing him play this badly... On to the next, and waiting for a better form once again :)

For him, and for my fan-colleagues :hug:

Indeed Ellen!:hug:for you too;)

Sheila
03-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Yes he just didnt seem to have any spark at all. I wonder how it would have gone if he had broken in the first game....
I hope he can pick himself up after this and look towards the next tournament!!

eze
03-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Sooo sad..
But you said it Di, it cannot get any much worse now..

Alejax
03-15-2011, 08:25 PM
:sad::awww:

Ginevra83
03-15-2011, 08:50 PM
a lot of hugs Ernests... a lot:hug:
we love you anyway!!!!

kryptonmania
03-15-2011, 08:53 PM
This is not the only match he played badly this year. He's played only 12 matches this year and there are already many matches that he barely won a game in the set...
If he keeps playing like this, I'm afraid he will drop out of Top 75 very soon.

Come on Ernests! Isn't your goal for 2011 is breaking it through Top 10?

osmonde
03-15-2011, 08:57 PM
When Ernests won a match scheduled first in the morning?
We are all astonished by this unreal result and it hurts really.
Not getting the break in 1st game just haunted him, it shouldn't do.

I didn't expect him to win, but as everybody, at least have a good competition.
Wonder how Cahill will help him to review this before Miami.
Draw was harsh on him and we couldn't see his best fight sunday.
It is in those occasions that I fear him retiring.

We love him whatever, does he even know?

Miami here he comes...

rafaelita
03-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Well, this must have been a really quick execution, cause when I left the office the match had not started yet and now I see this. I really wanted to see the match but now I think maybe it's better this way.

As Ellen said, on to the next one. Sending good vibes to all of you who need some. Group hug, people, we need one :hug:

I'm still for "Ernie all the way" and I'm waiting for better times :) BUT no smooch for Ernests tonight, sorry :aplot:

TravelingFanGirl
03-15-2011, 09:35 PM
Well, this must have been a really quick execution, cause when I left the office the match had not started yet and now I see this. I really wanted to see the match but now I think maybe it's better this way.

As Ellen said, on to the next one. Sending good vibes to all of you who need some. Group hug, people, we need one :hug:

I'm still for "Ernie all the way" and I'm waiting for better times :) BUT no smooch for Ernests tonight, sorry :aplot:

Sorry but no matter what that scoreboard says, there will always be smooches for Ernests on my lips! :p

rafaelita
03-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Sorry but no matter what that scoreboard says, there will always be smooches for Ernests on my lips! :p

:lol: I hear you. I'm sure he'll get more smooches from the others just not from me tonight :silly:

TravelingFanGirl
03-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Darren Cahill responded to my tweet! I really do like Darren! :hug:
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li4a6mpcfr1qatd48o1_500.jpg

eze
03-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Darren Cahill responded to my tweet! I really do like Darren! :hug:
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li4a6mpcfr1qatd48o1_500.jpg

ooh, so sweet:worship:hope he tells Ernie that we still beleive in him:kiss:

Sonja1989
03-15-2011, 11:17 PM
Ernests :sad: :hug:

FlameOn
03-16-2011, 02:55 AM
OMG. I knew he wouldn't win but 0 and 1? :o

Apparently Nole didn't play that well either, Erno was just awful.

CelinaCarpina
03-16-2011, 06:35 AM
Oh E... :awww: I miss him already.

but-it's-ok
03-16-2011, 02:00 PM
I cant add much more,I already said several things...I am just concerned as a fan,and worried. But like I said yesterday,its hard to imagine him playing that poorly again. Nole was solid,but that was all. Yeah we love him,I didn't love him for a few hours last night...I was so sad. But this is sport,its so up and down.

Overall one thing I try to think,not to expect anything with Ernests,and just go with the flow.

lwalters
03-18-2011, 12:12 PM
The 2nd Round match against Lu

contador, a tennis-x commenter, was at the 2nd round Lu match and yesterday she described it thus:
"
gulbis barely made it past lu. i was there for both gulbis matches. gulbis somehow found his serve in the decider and lu wasn’t able to come to his senses after losing 2nd set in a tie break. gulbis wasn’t fit enough or lacked the concentration to hang in a rally and his return game needs help.
"