Memphis SF: Roddick def Del Potro (6-3, 6-4) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Memphis SF: Roddick def Del Potro (6-3, 6-4)

jonathancrane
02-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Sad
UE machine Del Potro today
Credit to Roddick though, he looks pretty focused and motivated

Certinfy
02-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Still a long way to go for Juan, but still a good result overall :hug:

As from Andy, besides breaking himself early in the second, he was fucking brilliant! :worship:

Shirogane
Well I was hoping for more, but it could have been a lot worse. Delpo will keep getting better with matches. Roddick played fairly well.

Chris Kuerten
Del Potro got spanked by the GOATdick.

No homo.

Voo de Mar
Disappointing performance by Del Potro, almost a copy of his semifinal in San Jose - there had 3:1 in the 2nd set, today 2:0 and couldn't hold his serve after breaking the opponent :o

duong
I haven't seen Roddick play that well for one year

hit very hard, very precise except for one game, great ...

It was too physical for Del Potro yet

rubbERR
02-19-2011, 09:57 PM
expected meltdown against top player, nadal had same problems when 2 months out, it aint easier to delpo.

Mr. Butterfly
30 all in 2nd set Roddick serving for match

Two 1st serves that were out, no doubt, weren't called so and this gave Roddick 2 aces

Roddick was great at pushing throughout the match. JMDP had his moments where he could outhit the #1 seed American, but ultimately Roddick's pushing broke down the tall Argentinian 2009 US Open Grand Slam winner.

navy75
Memphis may just be the worst tournament (500 or 250) on the calendar. How many of Roddick's serves were counted as aces that were clearly faults? For a 500 tournament to not have hawkeye and also not even have streaming until Thursday (and live coverage in its own country until Saturday) is beyond absurd.

As for the match, both players took injury timeouts, and you have to think Raonic has a decent chance.

rubbERR
Roddick huge celebration end shows what kind of fool he is

HDW
02-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Well done duck. Wanting another win for Milos tomorrow.

cobalt60
:hatoff: to Andy for making another Memphis final and to JM for starting to show a wee but of what he was made of. I have high hopes he will be back on top sooner than I originally thought.

hablovah19
Del Potro was awful.

tennishero
02-19-2011, 10:00 PM
the match summed up: pushing from roddick and UE's from delpo

finishingmove
02-19-2011, 10:04 PM
oh. my. god.

duong
02-19-2011, 10:04 PM

I'm fed-up with all these negative comments and want to bad-rep all MTF

Fucking disgusting forum :mad:

romismak
02-19-2011, 10:06 PM
PATHETIC- no hawk-eye in USA in 500 LEVEL tournament- again Roddick´s serves in last game.... and the whole tournament is really not better than ATP Marseille- with more big names. Both of them are probabbly two hardest serving guys out there- both are hitting consistently here in Memphis 140 mphs plus serves so i want to see this serve exhibition

Ad Wim
02-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Expected. Pony is not on Roddick's level yet.

LucasArg
02-19-2011, 10:09 PM
It scared me how bad JM played.
Roddick a pathetic pusher as usual.

Gabe32
02-19-2011, 10:10 PM
A shame! It all came down to that game after Del Potro broke. There were a ton of deuces but eventually Roddick got the break back. From then on Delpo was dead.

At least it was a loss to a legitimate pro, despite what everyone says about Roddick.

Certinfy
02-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Well the serve at 15-30 in the last game did look out, as for the one at 30-30 it looked really close but yeah both could of been out and who knows what would of happened. :unsure:

alter ego
02-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Did you mugs actually saw the match ? It was a fucking HQ affair. Roddick's defence was sublime, Murray would have been proud of that. Del Potro hit some great shots but in the end Roddick's serve and defence were too much for him. Can't believe the negative reactions to this match.

Certinfy
02-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Did you mugs actually saw the match ? It was a fucking HQ affair. Roddick's defence was sublim, Murray would have been proud of that. Del Potro hit some great shots but in the end Roddick's serve and defence were too much for him. Can't believe the negative reactions to this match.
Well I guess you're right in some ways, but no doubt all the times Del Potro got broken he more like broke himself with stupid misses etc...

tennisfan856
02-19-2011, 10:15 PM
this place needs hawkeye asap

fast_clay
02-19-2011, 10:16 PM
roddick is gonna push his way to the 2016 Olympiad :roddick: :rocker2:

tangerine_dream
02-19-2011, 10:18 PM
All 500 tournaments should be required to have Hawkeye or risk being demoted to 250.

Roddick in his 50th career final. :hatoff:

He'll have to play better in the final but his shoulder's injured now. :(

alter ego
02-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Well I guess you're right in some ways, but no doubt all the times Del Potro got broken he more like broke himself with stupid misses etc...

Del Potro was making mistakes after long rallies where Roddick defended like a mad man. I have never seen Roddick run so well neither have I ever seen him getting back in court so many big first servers.

Certinfy
02-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Del Potro was making mistakes after long rallies where Roddick defended like a mad man. I have never seen Roddick run so well neither have I ever seen him getting back in court so many big first servers.
Well that's true and credit to Roddick for that. But look at the game at 2-2 where JMDP got broken was 40-0 up and had an easy FH to put away and ended up getting broken :retard:

tennishero
02-19-2011, 10:24 PM

sorry thats what i saw

Corey Feldman
02-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Roddick loving this draw, has played one turkey after another a million miles away from being the players they once were

DrJules
02-19-2011, 10:34 PM

To many are forgeting Del Potro has been out of the game for a year with injury and his level has shown that often.

abraxas21
02-19-2011, 10:41 PM

you're a very good poster but this is MTF, so take it as it is.

thrust
02-19-2011, 10:41 PM

NONSENSE! It seems as though only Federer and Nadal can play great tennis to many here. Great serving, great retreiving, rocket shots and great rallies, made this an outstanding tennis match.

Elbarto
02-19-2011, 10:42 PM
pathetic performance from Del Potro, I'm disappointed, I thought he was ready to beat Roddick, he showed interesting tennis in his 3 last matchs but today he was unrecognizable, slow move, bad service, a lot of unforced errors,

I hope a better Del Potro at Delray Beach

Topspindoctor
02-19-2011, 10:48 PM
Expected - although I predicted 3 sets.

nole_no1
02-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Delpo was so bad :sad:
What an awful final will be :o I think i'll better watch the snooker final

coonster14
02-19-2011, 10:59 PM
Awww damn. Hope Delpo keeps playing well though, but he sure still has a long way to go, he will need time.

delpiero7
02-19-2011, 11:01 PM
delPo sort of threw away the match just as he was getting back into it. He pretty much surrendered the second break to Roddick in the 2nd set from 40-0 up with a combo of miscued forehands and questionable (putting it mildly) net play.

Other than that, Roddick played as well as I have seen in a while. The last match I saw of his was Wawrinka at the AO, and even though he got a beatdown, I thought it was more due to his game having regressed rather than anything else. However today's performance shows that he can still produce a 'proper' performance. Not to say he'll be a factor in slams or anything.

50th career final for Duck :worship:

Haters :wavey:

As for JMDP, his start to 2011 has been pretty promising. Obviously fans would have had lofty expectations, but losing to Baggy at the AO, pre-Raonic'd Nando in San Jose, and Roddick here is nothing to be ashamed about.

Sonja1989
02-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Congrats Roddick! :worship: Take the title!
Poor Del Potro. :hug: I heard he was injured.

paseo
02-19-2011, 11:05 PM
What a legend, this Roddick. Now go win the title!

All 500 tournaments should be required to have Hawkeye or risk being demoted to 250.

Roddick in his 50th career final. :hatoff:

He'll have to play better in the final but his shoulder's injured now. :(

Really?

djb84xi
02-19-2011, 11:07 PM
I know as well as anybody else, the REAL Delpo would've cut Roddick's ass into shreds. Roddick got lucky with this one. Delpo's still on the comeback from the injury and it's still gonna take time for him to find his game. Overall, this is still a good result given the limited number of matches Juan's played.

Side note: I haven't jumped on the Milos bandwagon, but I want him to kick some ass in tomorrow's final.

Guy Haines
02-19-2011, 11:08 PM
People are expecting too much too soon from the Sleeping Giant. He'll be back.

Roddick had better be sharp. He has a lot to defend in the coming weeks.

delpiero7
02-19-2011, 11:13 PM
Any chance of Roddick ducking out of Delray if he wins tomorrow against Raonic?

Given that he's got loads of points to defend in IW and Miami, surely a week off would be a good idea rather than struggling to beat the likes of Fish or Berankis in 3 sets in a 250?

ossie
02-19-2011, 11:23 PM
hideous result for tennis. del potro still nowhere near as sharp as he used to be, still not a bad run here considering he is playing for ranking anyway. i think fully fit for indian wells may be too much too ask though considering his performance today.

Sonja1989
02-19-2011, 11:25 PM
Any chance of Roddick ducking out of Delray if he wins tomorrow against Raonic?

Given that he's got loads of points to defend in IW and Miami, surely a week off would be a good idea rather than struggling to beat the likes of Fish or Berankis in 3 sets in a 250?

I think no, but he will lose to Dudi Sela. At the latest to Dodig or Benneteau.

delpiero7
02-19-2011, 11:30 PM
hideous result for tennis. del potro still nowhere near as sharp as he used to be, still not a bad run here considering he is playing for ranking anyway. i think fully fit for indian wells may be too much too ask though considering his performance today.

Give the boy time. A lot of people are expecting too much too soon from him. Given the length of time he has been out for, reaching 2 consecutive SFs is a very respectable result.

Personally I hope he keeps climbing the rankings and gets back to his peak by the time the US Open series rolls around.

Silver.
02-19-2011, 11:38 PM
Hell yeaaaaaaaah Andy! 30th title tomorrow please :) would be lovely.

FiBeR
02-19-2011, 11:57 PM
good balance for delpo. Considtenly beating non top ten players. Still needs to get better but the winning machine is getting it back. Roddick playing sublime defense, 2003 forehands and serving well. That said whats with the trainers call ? Definately they brought 2003 uso semis linesmen to the match. Sad cos i dont think he needed the extra hand

FiBeR
02-20-2011, 12:01 AM
del potro schooled non top ten players isnt that more than enough? Looking forward to see him rest well and keep playing against the best players. Indian Wells, if the draw is kind, will be the one to watch

Mario Sharapov
02-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Great Roddick :bowdown:

nobama
02-20-2011, 12:27 AM
Memphis may just be the worst tournament (500 or 250) on the calendar. How many of Roddick's serves were counted as aces that were clearly faults? For a 500 tournament to not have hawkeye and also not even have streaming until Thursday (and live coverage in its own country until Saturday) is beyond absurd.

As for the match, both players took injury timeouts, and you have to think Raonic has a decent chance.this. pretty sad that this tournament doesn't have TV coverage until Saturday - tennistv doesn't allow live streaming if you're in the USA yet there's no place on TV to get it Thursday and Friday. :rolleyes:

nobama
02-20-2011, 12:31 AM
Good I hope Roddick is at his pusher best for IW and Miami. Just means he'll lose earlier. Then he can take April and May off and come back for Queens. :D

rocketassist
02-20-2011, 01:19 AM
Good result.

FlameOn
02-20-2011, 01:23 AM
I only saw a little bit but Roddick was actually hitting rather well. Of course the fast indoor Memphis court would've helped him a lot but he wasn't just pushing today. :speakles:

fast_clay
02-20-2011, 01:32 AM
this. pretty sad that this tournament doesn't have TV coverage until Saturday - tennistv doesn't allow live streaming if you're in the USA yet there's no place on TV to get it Thursday and Friday. :rolleyes:

saddening to hear that this tournament gets that sort of treatment, it looks b-grade enough without copping c-grade coverage... is becoming commonplace tho... at a time when US exposure is necessary to ensure the game rolls on from year to year, it's moving in the opposite direction...

Mistaflava
02-20-2011, 01:33 AM

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Deuce24
02-20-2011, 01:45 AM
Del Potro played awful today which surprised me because he was starting to play really well in this tournament, but today from the very opening of the match you could tell his game was off in all aspects of it. He's improved a lot since hes made his comeback but I'd say its going to be at least till the US open series before his game gets back to the 09 level. On a side note there were some really questionable calls during this match, hawkeye should be mandatory for any atp event in my opinion.

kindling
02-20-2011, 01:47 AM
Roddick huge celebration end shows what kind of fool he is

Uh, Roddicks first win against Delpo, so I wouldn't say it's foolish. Plus, that really was hardly a "huge celebration."

Geo
02-20-2011, 02:08 AM
Del Potro is still clearly far, far from his best form :lol: He was really awful today! :tape: It did appear as his leg strain had something to do with that though, as he was not moving well to the FH side at all, and was up and down with his serving. This is the only explanation as to how Roddick won this :lol: :o There were plenty of points when Del Potro had Roddick 20 feet behind the baseline and just missed seemingly easy sitter shots :tape:

Roddick competed well, but again, he didn't look impressive at all. Del Potro was just awful.

fran70
02-20-2011, 02:19 AM
Inspite of the defeat it was another good week for Delpo. It`s more than clear where he is standed and of course that it is going to take him time to start beating top 10 ranked players.

VolandriFan
02-20-2011, 02:43 AM
I thought he may have been able to push Roddick a little harder, but another good week.

tealeaves
02-20-2011, 02:48 AM
I really hope he can go back top ten ASAP.
Now good draw in IW/Miami please.

alfonsojose
02-20-2011, 03:04 AM
A 500 tournament without Hawkeye :help: This mess should be a 250

SheepleBuster
02-20-2011, 04:37 AM
Sad
UE machine Del Potro today
Credit to Roddick though, he looks pretty focused and motivated

Very disappointing result. Roddick is not even 3 classes below Del potro. I am sure Roddick will tell stories about this famous win to his children in 20 years...:devil:

BodyServe
02-20-2011, 10:21 AM
And to think that Marseille is a 250 with hawkeye and better field...

Ibracadabra
02-20-2011, 10:49 AM
One for andys trophy cabinet this. What is delpos ranking now? surely he's breached the top 200?

Certinfy
02-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Roddick's BHDTL was GOAT like in this match, just unreal :lol:

Bubble99
02-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Great to see Roddick actually hitting the balls with some pace...His backhand was extremely good, it makes you think why doesn't he use it more often like that, his forehand was non too shabby either.

timafi
02-20-2011, 12:30 PM
too bad Del Potro couldn't serve for shit and he couldn't move to his forehand side;he made Roddick look good and as for Roddick you're such a lying asshole with your fake ass shoulder "injury" :mad: I really hope your shoulder does give up in the coming days

Bubble99
02-20-2011, 12:33 PM
too bad Del Potro couldn't serve for shit and he couldn't move to his forehand side;he made Roddick look good and as for Roddick you're such a lying asshole with your fake ass shoulder "injury" :mad: I really hope your shoulder does give up in the coming days

Hater

Mungo
02-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Mr. Brooklyn Decker:yeah:.

Roddecker? :devil: Delpo is playing like a top 20 player now ON HARDCOURTS. He has some lapses that cost him against top 10 players. He will be a factor in the summer hardcourt season.