Murray out of Dubai (wrist injury) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Murray out of Dubai (wrist injury)

alter ego
02-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Feb 16 (Reuters) - Beaten Australian Open finalist Andy Murray has pulled out of next week's $1.6 million Dubai Open, citing a wrist injury.

"Andy would like to apologise to both the tournament and its fans," a simple two sentence statement on his official website read.

The Scot was last week bumped out of Rotterdam by Marcos Baghdatis, his first match since losing the Australian Open showpiece to Novak Djokovic last month.

That Melbourne defeat was the third time a grand slam final appearance has ended in defeat for the world number five, who is yet to win one of tennis's four major titles.

His next tournament is now listed as the March 10-20 $605,000 Indian Wells Masters event.

Murray last year came under fire in Dubai for saying after a loss at the tournament that he had employed experimental tactics.

He was beaten by unseeded Janko Tipsarevic after an unusual display in which he charged the net more than usual and went for a greater number of winners.

"I think it was a good learning experience -- if it was a slam, my tactics would have been different," Murray told reporters afterwards.

scoobs
02-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Overdoing the PS3 while sulking again?

(Thought I'd say it before someone else did) ;)

I suspect it's more can't-be-arsed-don't-want-a-zero-pointer.

Not surprised by this, just hope he's ready to go for Indian Wells.

n8
02-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Injured or not, this is the right decision. He needs to regroup mentally.

Ad Wim
02-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Here we go again, the slump after another lost GS final.

duong
02-16-2011, 11:18 AM
I suspect it's more can't-be-arsed-don't-want-a-zero-pointer.

He will surely get this zero-pointer :shrug:

As for Djokovic, I wonder if he will really play Dubai, since he didn't get a zero-pointer in Rotterdam and I really can't see any rule how he could avoid it unless 30day-injury as it seems he didn't come to Rotterdam to make some promotion ... I don't know what arrangement he had with the ATP, maybe he'll just get this zero-pointer later ?

paseo
02-16-2011, 11:21 AM
What's a zero-pointer?

samanosuke
02-16-2011, 11:26 AM
It's was just the question what will be reason of withdrawing

duong
02-16-2011, 11:33 AM
What's a zero-pointer?

Basically a player is normally allowed to count 4 ATP500 results (or Monte-Carlo) : if he gets a zero-pointer, one of these results is a "zero" and then he can actually count only 3 of them.

A player who withdraws from an ATP500 tournament (or Monte-Carlo) who is not out for 30 days because of a long-term injury, and who doesn't come on-site to show his injury or make some promotion (and who didn't get injured on friday to sunday in another tournament previous week like Gasquet in Zagreb),

normally gets a zero-pointer.

Djokovic didn't fly to Rotterdam to make some promotion or have his injury checked from what we heard and Murray probably doesn't intend to go to Dubai either.

In an ATP500 tournament (contrary to a MS1000 tournament), it's different from losing in first round of the tournament, because in that latter case you can replace this result with a result in another ATP500 tournament.

Mungo
02-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Injured? Is it why he kept playing doubles in Rotterdam all the week? BS. He's not interested on playing Dubai, that's it.

Priam
02-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Strategic tank.

Elbarto
02-16-2011, 11:44 AM
What's a zero-pointer?

the answer here :

Q. What is the ranking structure and formula in 2011?

A. In 2011, any player who finished in the 2010 year-end Top 30 will be required to compete in four Grand Slam tournaments and eight ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournaments. In addition, the Best 4 ATP World Tour 500 and Best 2 other events (ATP World Tour 250 and Challengers) will be counted towards a player's ranking. All direct acceptance players at the time of the entry deadline who do not play will receive a 0-pointer in their ranking.

A player who is out of competition for 30 or more days, due to a verified injury, will not receive any penalties. For other players outside the Top 30, the ranking structure that applies, IF QUALIFIED, will be four Grand Slam tournaments and eight ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournaments. The Best 6 with up to 4 ATP World Tour 500 results will also be counted towards the ranking. If a player is not a Direct Acceptance and did not play a Grand Slam or Masters 1000 tournament, he can substitute with ATP World Tour 250 and/or Challengers. The eight players who qualify for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals will count an additional 19th tournament on their ranking.

The top eight players with the most countable points accumulated in Grand Slam, ATP World Tour, Davis Cup, Challenger and Futures tournaments during the year will qualify for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Rankings-FAQ.aspx#pointvalue

Elbarto
02-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Strategic tank.

Murray should learn how to make a good schedule ( like Federer ), he seems to be a novice in this domain,

playing Rotterdam only one week after the australian open was a stupid mistake, he was not ready

scoobs
02-16-2011, 12:07 PM
He will surely get this zero-pointer :shrug:

As for Djokovic, I wonder if he will really play Dubai, since he didn't get a zero-pointer in Rotterdam and I really can't see any rule how he could avoid it unless 30day-injury as it seems he didn't come to Rotterdam to make some promotion ... I don't know what arrangement he had with the ATP, maybe he'll just get this zero-pointer later ?

He's pulled out with an injury - I don't see how they can give him a zero pointer - and he hasn't pulled out right at the last minute. He would still need to find a way to play 4 500s this season to avoid the zero though and that may well be a struggle.

Hewitt =Legend
02-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Expected.. Fantasy Football is really heating up now.. can't be wasting time playing tennis while the dilemma of who to select as left back next gamesweek hangs over his head..

Aenea
02-16-2011, 12:13 PM
He's pulled out with an injury - I don't see how they can give him a zero pointer - and he hasn't pulled out right at the last minute. He would still need to find a way to play 4 500s this season to avoid the zero though and that may well be a struggle.

if injured the player should show up at the tournament and do some promotion otherwise he gets a 0-pointer. If he doesn't play for 30 days after the injury the 0-pointer gets removed. That is what I know from the Rulebook.

scoobs
02-16-2011, 12:16 PM
He's probably thinking he won't even get to play 4 500s this season so he'll get the 0 pointer and might as well not bother going out there.

This 500 rule is perhaps the stupidest innovation of the rankings change of a couple of years ago.

I can see why they did it but I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of difference to the tournaments - I don't feel the 500s have got notably stronger as a result - and it just making the rankings system even more gobbledegook.

duong
02-16-2011, 12:32 PM
He's pulled out with an injury - I don't see how they can give him a zero pointer - and he hasn't pulled out right at the last minute.

actually it's better pulling out at the last minute if you're REALLY injured : it means you can show your injury on-site and this way, the tournament directors know that you're really injured.

That's why the rules require that the players go on-site : to check the injury (or you get injured in the end of previous tournament and the doctors from that tournament can check your injury themselves).

Unless you're injured and miss every tournament for 30 days, which shows your sincerity.

One can contest this "ATP500 rule" but the checking conditions are not that stupid ... except the promotional activities but well, tennis and the ATP are a business.

He would still need to find a way to play 4 500s this season to avoid the zero though and that may well be a struggle.

Actually if he plays 4 ATP500s this year (and tells the ATP he will enter them 12 weeks before the tournament), he can still cancel this zero-pointer later : from what I heard, he might play Monte-Carlo, Barcelona, and probably Beijing and Valencia as well, although I doubt he would have announced it 12 weeks before, at least for Monte-Carlo and Barcelona.

Anyway he would not only need to play 4 ATP500s but also win matches there (see Rotterdam :lol: ) for a zero-pointer to really penalise him.

DrJules
02-16-2011, 01:10 PM
If he had cited mental injury nobody would have questioned his honesty.

duong
02-16-2011, 01:17 PM
If he had cited mental injury nobody would have questioned his honesty.

he not only needs a 30 day-injury but also to be out of all tournaments for more than one month, unfortunately he came to Rotterdam in spite of this "injury" :lol:

scoobs
02-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Doubt he would opt to play both Monte Carlo and Barcelona, to be honest, even though the clay season can mean short weeks for him...

Topspindoctor
02-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Mugray faking injury :lol:

Vida
02-16-2011, 01:23 PM
what, like depression?

in theory, I guess they can ask for doctors to diagnose some sort of psychological trauma, cause of the constant choking under pressure and whatnot :shrug:

than they could say - look, I feel depressed I cant play. no tournament director would say no to that.

paseo
02-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Basically a player is normally allowed to count 4 ATP500 results : if he gets a zero-pointer, one of these results is a "zero" and then he can actually count only 3 of them.

A player who withdraws from an ATP500 tournament (or Monte-Carlo) who is not out for 30 days because of a long-term injury, and who doesn't come on-site to show his injury or make some promotion (and who didn't get injured on friday to sunday in another tournament previous week like Gasquet in Zagreb),

normally gets a zero-pointer.

Djokovic didn't go to Rotterdam from what we heard and Murray probably doesn't intend to go to Dubai either.

In an ATP500 tournament (contrary to a MS1000 tournament), it's different from losing in first round of the tournament, because in that latter case you can replace this result with a result in another ATP500 tournament.

the answer here :

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Rankings-FAQ.aspx#pointvalue

Thank you, both.

DrJules
02-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Doubt he would opt to play both Monte Carlo and Barcelona, to be honest, even though the clay season can mean short weeks for him...

Trying to play all 3 MS events and Barcelona is a recipe for being injured or tired at RG if you win or go deep into each event. Anybody who tries to play all probably deserves little sympathy if they claim tiredness or injury as a cause of defeat at RG.

Aenea
02-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Trying to play all 3 MS events and Barcelona is a recipe for being injured or tired at RG if you win or go deep into each event. Anybody who tries to play all probably deserves little sympathy if they claim tiredness or injury as a cause of defeat at RG.

well, Nadal did it back in 2009 and was bashed heavily for losing at FO.

duong
02-16-2011, 01:42 PM
well, Nadal did it back in 2009 and was bashed heavily for losing at FO.

yes, and Nadal intends doing it this year as well, I guess that's why Dr Jules wrote that ;)

scoobs
02-16-2011, 01:45 PM
I doubt he will - I suspect Rafa will skip Madrid this year but he will be automatically entered to Madrid.

Aenea
02-16-2011, 01:45 PM
yes, and Nadal intends doing it this year as well, I guess that's why Dr Jules wrote that ;)

DrJules wrote "Trying to play all 3 MS events and Barcelona is a recipe for being injured or tired at RG if you win or go deep into each event." We don't know how far will Rafa go in those tournaments this season but we know he went far in all of them back in 2009 that's why I mentioned 2009.

duong
02-16-2011, 01:54 PM
DrJules wrote "Trying to play all 3 MS events and Barcelona is a recipe for being injured or tired at RG if you win or go deep into each event." We don't know how far will Rafa go in those tournaments this season but we know he went far in all of them back in 2009 that's why I mentioned 2009.

yes, yes, but when Dr Jules said that he clearly didn't think of Murray :lol:

Anyway the schedule this year is better for Nadal than last year : he will not have to play 3 tournaments in a row.

But well Nadal is not the topic here :o

Mungo
02-16-2011, 01:55 PM

The clay schedule is different this year, there are not three big events in a row as it happened in 2009 and 2010. That was poor ATP scheduling against clay.

Aenea
02-16-2011, 01:57 PM
yes, yes, but when Dr Jules said that he clearly didn't think of Murray :lol:

Anyway the schedule this year is better for Nadal than last year : he will not have to play 3 tournaments in a row.

But well Nadal is not the topic here :o

I assumed that much I just tried to be reasonable.

finishingmove
02-16-2011, 02:04 PM
like i said, he needs to take a break until post wimbledon

GlennMirnyi
02-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Chickened out.

Young 8
02-16-2011, 03:20 PM
http://i9.lulzimg.com/i/a10b4e55.jpg

Certinfy
02-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Good! Guess he's learning from his slump last year, really needs some time off to mentally regroup.

chammer44
02-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Feb 16 (Reuters) - Beaten Australian Open finalist Andy Murray has pulled out of next week's $1.6 million Dubai Open, citing a wrist injury.

"Andy would like to apologise to both the tournament and its fans," a simple two sentence statement on his official website read.

The Scot was last week bumped out of Rotterdam by Marcos Baghdatis, his first match since losing the Australian Open showpiece to Novak Djokovic last month.

That Melbourne defeat was the third time a grand slam final appearance has ended in defeat for the world number five, who is yet to win one of tennis's four major titles.

His next tournament is now listed as the March 10-20 $605,000 Indian Wells Masters event.

Murray last year came under fire in Dubai for saying after a loss at the tournament that he had employed experimental tactics.

He was beaten by unseeded Janko Tipsarevic after an unusual display in which he charged the net more than usual and went for a greater number of winners.

"I think it was a good learning experience -- if it was a slam, my tactics would have been different," Murray told reporters afterwards.

Yes we know that. YOu would have reverted back to pusher coward. This dunce never learns. So glad I dismounted from his bandwaggon a while back.

Allez
02-16-2011, 06:59 PM
Hope to see him in action at IW. Take all the time you need Andy. You will do well :yeah:

Sapeod
02-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Mugray faking injury :lol:
It's not fake....

It's not a bad injury, he just doesn't want to play in Dubai, in case he makes it worse....simple.
It's a shame, but a good decision.
what, like depression?

in theory, I guess they can ask for doctors to diagnose some sort of psychological trauma, cause of the constant choking under pressure and whatnot :shrug:

than they could say - look, I feel depressed I cant play. no tournament director would say no to that.
You better keep your mouth shut...or think before you post.
Yes we know that. YOu would have reverted back to pusher coward. This dunce never learns. So glad I dismounted from his bandwaggon a while back.
:o :o :o

You are something else....

timafi
02-17-2011, 01:57 PM
he did say he wasn't trying hard last year in Dubai but he was "trying" new things and he got called out for it:tape:

Sonja1989
02-17-2011, 01:58 PM
So bad. :(
He will be ready in Indian Wells?

Say Hey Kid
02-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Good move for Murray. Murray simply can't win now with the public perception. If he won the Dubai title without dropping a set it would probably cause him more grief than if he lost in the first round in straight sets. All he'd be asked is "Why can't you translate this to the slams?"

He needs to take some time off - and I'd bet my bottom dollar his real problem is a bruised ego and not a sprained wrist.

Blackbriar
02-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Brain injury.

Sonja1989
02-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Ok, If he hasn't bigger problem that good news. :)

Mr. Oracle
02-17-2011, 06:22 PM
If I was a player, I would not want to play a tournament in the middle east considering the present turmoil. Anyone with half a brain will skip this tourny.

DrJules
02-17-2011, 06:27 PM
If I was a player, I would not want to play a tournament in the middle east considering the present turmoil. Anyone with half a brain will skip this tourny.

Dubai is possibly the most stable part of that area.

I have been there a couple of times and very accommodating for westerners.

tennishero
02-17-2011, 06:37 PM

nice generalisation and overeaction, theres a lot of countries in the middle east. most of them are perfectly fine to visit.

Bobby
02-17-2011, 06:43 PM

Yes, all the countries in the Middle East and Norhern Africa are the same.

Mr. Oracle
02-17-2011, 07:57 PM
nice generalisation and overeaction, theres a lot of countries in the middle east. most of them are perfectly fine to visit.

So says the travel brochures but my gut or spidey sense says otherwise.

born_on_clay
02-17-2011, 09:51 PM
good for our sport