Who is going to be the next Roger Federer? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who is going to be the next Roger Federer?

RogersBackhand
02-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Hi,

there are amazing talents out there like Grigor Dimitrov,Daniel Brands, Henrie Kontinen etc. But who has the best potencial to become the next Federer (Nadal)?

This guy is amazingly talented in this video, but I wonder if it is real:
uGypvAM-9Tg
What do you guys think?
I believe it is for real, but I am not sure. I think they are talking german by the way.

Looking forward to your opinion.

Cheers
RogersBackhand

Sonja1989
02-15-2011, 05:46 PM
I think he is the next Karlovic/Isner/Raonic.

I must say the next Roger is Dimitrov. :)

GlennMirnyi
02-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Your username should be "Shank".

bokehlicious
02-15-2011, 05:51 PM
There is no next Roger...

Blackbriar
02-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Federer was unique, but one of the youngsters may win some slams once Nadal will be in a wheelchair.

GlennMirnyi
02-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Between the youngsters, who possesses a shank for a (single-handed) backhand?

Mjau!
02-15-2011, 05:54 PM
What is so amazing about them? Many great players won slams as teenagers. They are only "amazing" because there is no outstanding teenager at this time.

Sonja1989
02-15-2011, 05:56 PM

If I understand well this, Dimitrov has one-handed backhand.

RogersBackhand
02-15-2011, 05:56 PM
I was'nt sure for a sec what "Shank" is suppose to mean :)

I think Dimitrov has an amazing potential. If he is not goint to get hurt
he will be in the top 5 for a long time (once he gets there)

RogersBackhand
02-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Between all youngsters. These guys (Dimitrov, Brands, Kontinen) were just a few i find talented.

RogersBackhand
02-15-2011, 05:59 PM
What is so amazing about them? Many great players won slams as teenagers. They are only "amazing" because there is no outstanding teenager at this time.
I think Dimitrov has this incredible touch as well as great power and outstanding legs. He is starting to get some good wins. Remembers me of the way roger started to get big.

Mjau!
02-15-2011, 06:02 PM
I have not seen Dimitrov play... :shrug:

finishingmove
02-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Your username should be "Skank".

fixed

that comes with experience

Sonja1989
02-15-2011, 06:05 PM
fixed

Fixed, but don't for GlennMirnyi. :)

GlennMirnyi
02-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Federer's mate has created a double account, I see.

Mungo
02-15-2011, 06:12 PM
It's Roger and Mirka's decision

delpiero7
02-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Federer's mate has created a double account, I see.

That statement implies that Federer's Mate only had one account before today...

GlennMirnyi
02-15-2011, 06:13 PM
That statement implies that Federer's Mate only had one account before today...

I didn't say "his first double account".

I said "a double account". ;)

Mjau!
02-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Federer's mate does not have double account! These are mean spirited accusations without base! :( You get banned for having multiple accounts.

Roger the Dodger
02-15-2011, 06:37 PM
^^ I would give Federer's mate a clean chit.:)

Ouragan
02-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Richard Gasquet, of course.

Roger the Dodger
02-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Richard Gasquet, of course.

I am an eternal optimist.

Sillyrabbit
02-15-2011, 06:46 PM
I didn't say "his first double account".

I said "a double account". ;)

Would it really be "double" if it was more than 2? :)

Allez
02-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Frank Dancevic...

Sapeod
02-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Dimitrov is the closest, style wise...

He could dominate in years to come. Raonic is another one who could dominate, but I can see him, Dimitrov and Berankis sharing slams in the future....

duong
02-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Well, nobody has answered the question in which I was interested :

who's the guy on the video ?

And then yes he is the new RF for fake videos :lol:

Chris Kuerten
02-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Jan Silva, never in doubt.

Sonja1989
02-15-2011, 06:54 PM
It's Roger and Mirka's decision

:haha:

Roger the Dodger
02-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Dimitrov is the closest, style wise...

He could dominate in years to come. Raonic is another one who could dominate, but I can see him, Dimitrov and Berankis sharing slams in the future....

Still, none will do what Roger did between 04-07. That was just a phase of domination. These kids will learn to be slam-splitters.

Sapeod
02-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Still, none will do what Roger did between 04-07. That was just a phase of domination. These kids will learn to be slam-splitters.
Of course, no one will dominate like Federer. Raonic, Dimitrov and Berankis will split slams between them....about 5/6 each when they retire, I think.

Jan Silva, like a poster said above, is a future prospect. He is looking like the next Federer, dominance wise.....he is already very impressive and he isn't 10 yet....

RogersBackhand
02-15-2011, 07:02 PM
What do you all think of Daniel Brands? He played very solid first wibledon last year and played a solid "first" season overall. Is he going to be top 10 in the next few years?

And nobody said anything about the video... is this possible:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGypvAM-9Tg

Cheers

RogersBackhand
02-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Well, nobody has answered the question in which I was interested :

who's the guy on the video ?

And then yes he is the new RF for fake videos :lol:
What makes you think its fake? Thx

Roger the Dodger
02-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Of course, no one will dominate like Federer. Raonic, Dimitrov and Berankis will split slams between them....about 5/6 each when they retire, I think.

Jan Silva, like a poster said above, is a future prospect. He is looking like the next Federer, dominance wise.....he is already very impressive and he isn't 10 yet....

5-6 each! :haha:

Given they are showing as much potential now as Gasquet, Murray and Djokovic did five years back; its still probable that the journey of these kids will be somewhat similar to the previous generation. Definitely not 5-6 each (people will soon forget the achievements of greats like Becker and Edberg if every other potential wins these many slams).

As for Jan Silva, never heard of him. Will look forward to seeing him play one day.

Li Ching Yuen
02-15-2011, 08:02 PM
By the "new Federer" you mean Nadal's next pigeon?

dombrfc
02-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Raonic, Dimitrov and Berankis will split slams between them....about 5/6 each when they retire, I think.

:o

DrJules
02-15-2011, 09:19 PM

It is proving very difficult to take you seriously.

Cannot see either Raonic or Berankis winning a GS.

Dimitrov is probably the best of the group and could be a multiple GS winner.

RogersBackhand
02-15-2011, 09:24 PM
It might even be Del Potros time in the next few years. How old is he 23?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGypvAM-9Tg

Sonja1989
02-15-2011, 09:30 PM
What do you all think of Daniel Brands? He played very solid first wibledon last year and played a solid "first" season overall. Is he going to be top 10 in the next few years?

And nobody said anything about the video... is this possible:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGypvAM-9Tg

Cheers

Daniel Brands? I think he had 1-2 good tournament but this guy is nothing. Serenidad isn't here now... (she is his biggest fan.) :)

RogersBackhand
02-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Daniel Brands? I think he had 1-2 good tournament but this guy is nothing. Serenidad isn't here now... (she is his biggest fan.) :)
Will be interesting to see him on grass this season.

Pirao666
02-15-2011, 09:50 PM
It might even be Del Potros time in the next few years. How old is he 23?

He's 22. There is no "next Roger Federer", whichever player appears in the future, it'll be himself, and not the "next whatever".

RogersBackhand
02-15-2011, 09:57 PM
He's 22. There is no "next Roger Federer", whichever player appears in the future, it'll be himself, and not the "next whatever".

I did not mean exactly the kinda guy roger is or the way he plays but who has the talent to be as succesfull as he is.

Sonja1989
02-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Will be interesting to see him on grass this season.

Yeah, but the grass season is only 3-4 weeks...

Helevorn
02-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Juan Pablo Brzezicki

duong
02-15-2011, 10:35 PM
What makes you think its fake? Thx

nothing actually, but if it was, at least it would be something Roger has done :lol:

Corey Feldman
02-15-2011, 10:46 PM
Never, there will never be one as Roger again

most loved player, most talent, most glory moments, brought the most entertaining matches to the game in the last 10 years

millions will switch off from tennis when he goes, probably me included.

duong
02-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Never, there will never be one as Roger again

most loved player, most talent, most glory moments, brought the most entertaining matches to the game in the last 10 years

millions will switch off from tennis when he goes, probably me included.

yes serious answer to a funny thread but I think the same.

Someone beating his records may happen for sure, Nadal has well started

... but having also his style and beauty, matches where he was so much "in the zone", probably not.

I guess all those asking such a question as this thread just fear what will happen next, and well, speaking of Dimitrov and so on we shall not hope records like Fed but at least a player with a beautiful style.

Personally I will not only miss Fed but also several players fom his generation like Nalbandian and Youzhny, Tommy Haas or Fernando Gonzalez, even James Blake who could be fun as well, Ljubicic who's so stylish and surprising ...

One day I read someone say that "tennis can survive the end of Federer for sure but not the end of single-handed backhands", I guess there's some truth in that (yes I know Nalby has a DHBH :lol: but he's so beautiful as well ;) )

Arakasi
02-15-2011, 11:25 PM
yes serious answer to a funny thread but I think the same.

Someone beating his records may happen for sure, Nadal has well started, but also having his style and beauty, matches where he was so much "in the zone", probably not.

I guess all those asking such a question as this thread just fear what will happen next, and well, speaking of Dimitrov and so on we shall not hope records like Fed but at least a player with a beautiful style.

Personally I will not only miss Fed but also several players fom his generation like Nalbandian and Youzhny, Tommy Haas or Fernando Gonzalez.
One day I read someone say that "tennis can survive the end of Federer for sure but not the end of single-handed backhands", I guess there's some truth in that (yes I know Nalby has a DHBH :lol: but he's so beautiful as well ;) )

'You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to duong again'

Lovely post.

abraxas21
02-15-2011, 11:38 PM

fed's BH used to be pretty good 4-5 years ago, if i recall correctly. or at least it was much better than what it is today.

Arakasi
02-15-2011, 11:46 PM
fed's BH used to be pretty good 4-5 years ago, if i recall correctly. or at least it was much better than what it is today.

Mid '06 - early '07 it was one of the very best. Nowadays it's fragile to say the least.

I'll always remember this match because of the insane backhand winners he was hitting at will. :worship:

fC3uI-A8fGM

Time Violation
02-15-2011, 11:48 PM
They still have a lot to prove... instead of next Fed, they could easily become next Wawrinka. :p

duong
02-15-2011, 11:50 PM

from my memories he's always been used to shanking, even in his best period, it depended on the day ... but yes he could play great backhand matches, like that match against Blake in Masters Cup ;)

In recent months I felt his backhand had improved to be honest, imo it's rather the forehand which is far from what it used to be.

As for Glenn Mirnyi, he used to be a big fan of Federer even in that period when he was "shanking" :lol:

he just could not suffer him losing to the "moonballer" :lol: and probably also not going enough to the net, a matter of style ...

abraxas21
02-15-2011, 11:55 PM
from my memories he's always been used to shanking, even in his best period, it depended on the day ... but yes he could play great backhand matches, like that match against Blake in Masters Cup ;)

he was always known for shanking but i think his bh was still pretty good, even though he used to produce about 3 (which is a lot in the top level) bh shanks per match. nowadays he not only produces way more shanks but the overall quality of his BH is weaker

emotion
02-15-2011, 11:57 PM
Dimitrov (Federer lite) and Raonic (Karlovic +++) will probably be winning most of the Slams with some for Tomic (Murray? Serveless but otherwise better Roddick) with maybe some for Berankis (most obvious comparison, Hewitt)

The Matador
02-16-2011, 01:10 AM
Q:Who is going to be the next Roger Federer?
A:Nobody

Mimi
02-16-2011, 01:25 AM
I think no one is going to surpass his achievements in the near future or may even be, never:wavey:

RogersBackhand
02-16-2011, 12:14 PM
It actually seems to me that roger is almost never going for the backhand winner longline these days. Interesting to see the video egains Blake.

What do you guys think is missing to have Dimitrov win more matches?

And still my question...can this be done:(???)

RogersBackhand
02-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Mid '06 - early '07 it was one of the very best. Nowadays it's fragile to say the least.

I'll always remember this match because of the insane backhand winners he was hitting at will. :worship:

fC3uI-A8fGM

Amazing video... that must have been one of the best ones he played... or just his standart game back in the days:)
How did you make the video show in your post? (How do you embed the youtube code?)#

That is really useful.
Thanks.

n8
02-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Between all youngsters. These guys (Dimitrov, Brands, Kontinen) were just a few i find talented.

Which one? I assume you mean Henri (aged 20 ranked 272) but his brother Micke (aged 18 ranked 677) isn't doing too bad either.

n8
02-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Amazing video... that must have been one of the best ones he played... or just his standart game back in the days:)
How did you make the video show in your post? (How do you embed the youtube code?)#

That is really useful.
Thanks.

2[/COLOR]] code after first "=" sign of url when video is playing

e.g. To embed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg1zgLWo6nI

2[/COLOR]]Kg1zgLWo6nI but without the 2

jmf07
02-16-2011, 12:31 PM
The MTF bandwagons indicate it will be Dimitrov so you can rule out Dimitrov.

duong
02-16-2011, 12:38 PM

it was an exceptional backhand match for him, nothing standard at all.

He was in great form and I guess Blake's shots did just go where his backhand needed them to be.

Anyway, he's made some backhand winners down the line recently, against Nadal, against Davydenko, against Murray, even against Djokovic ...

I don't think his backhand is now less good than his prime, it's rather his movement and his forehand which have declined imo ... and they started declining more than 3 years ago, in 2007, actually.

.-Federers_Mate-.
02-16-2011, 01:09 PM
In terms of achievements, i have already said numerous times Grigor Dimitrov. He is the only guy i have seen to have the game to handle it.

nalbyfan
02-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Does Dimitrov cry when he loses/wins/sees Sampras or Laver ?? Very important to be a Federer clone !!

.-Federers_Mate-.
02-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Does Dimitrov cry when he loses/wins/sees Sampras or Laver ?? Very important to be a Federer clone !!

Why is that important?

RogersBackhand
02-16-2011, 02:04 PM
2[/COLOR]] code after first "=" sign of url when video is playing

e.g. To embed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg1zgLWo6nI

2[/COLOR]]Kg1zgLWo6nI but without the 2

Ok great. Thanks. I meant Henrie Konzinen by the way. Haven't heart of his brother but I will watch out for him from now on.

Cheers.

RogersBackhand
02-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Crazy!!! Del Potro is only 22. He might win a few more grand slams once he is back in shape.