Is the Fedal era over ... on MTF? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is the Fedal era over ... on MTF?

Sri
02-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Are we starting to see more non-Fedal threads than Fedal threads?

Discuss.:bolt:

Johnny Groove
02-15-2011, 02:50 PM
We haven't had a Fedal slam final in over 2 years. That might be a cause for the lessening of Fedal threads.

Don't worry. Come French Open and Wimbledon time, it will be all Fedal.

emotion
02-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Well, Djokovic is best player in last 6 months, and the forum is reluctantly acknowledging that

Sri
02-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Last six months? Really? :lol:

Big_Juicy
02-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Last six months? Really? :lol:

Probably not true, but since late November (Davis Cup) and up until now he's definitely been the most accomplished and hottest player on tour.

Sri
02-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Probably not true, but since late November (Davis Cup) and up until now he's definitely been the most accomplished and hottest player on tour.
He was the best player at AO11. That's all.

Nadal was clearly "hotter" at USO10. And Rog won the WTF.

Davis Cup victory was a team victory and "Team Serbia" was the winner. :-)

Big_Juicy
02-15-2011, 03:07 PM
He was the best player at AO11. That's all.

Nadal was clearly "hotter" at USO10. And Rog won the WTF.

Davis Cup victory was a team victory and "Team Serbia" was the winner. :-)

And your first two lines clearly have nothing to do with what I said because they took place before the end of November and the Davis Cup. As for your third line, of course it was a team victory, but every team has a leader and this was Djokovic for Serbia, who didn't lose a single match in the entire competition.

duong
02-15-2011, 03:07 PM
It seems to me that in the last weeks, there has been less trolling and more descriptions and analyses about the matches and also about other players than the top-players,

which I greatly appreciate since I think the special value added of MTF comparing to the forums I know is that there are people here interested in ALL the Tour and not only the top-players.

Of course it may be related to the fact that there are no slams or MS1000 tournaments at the moment,

but I greatly appreciate what I've seen in recent weeks comparing to some time before :yeah:

If the fact that Djokovic won last Grand Slam (and was great in Davis Cup ;) ) partly explains it I thank him a lot :lol: :yeah:

bokehlicious
02-15-2011, 03:13 PM
And your first two lines clearly have nothing to do with what I said because they took place before the end of November and the Davis Cup. As for your third line, of course it was a team victory, but every team has a leader and this was Djokovic for Serbia, who didn't lose a single match in the entire competition.

O. Hernandez was the hottest player in December, I've heard he really trained harder than anyone else :cool: :sport:

Sonja1989
02-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Please! Djokovic win Davis Cup and Australian Open and Fedal is over? :help:

Sri
02-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Please! Djokovic win Davis Cup and Australian Open and Fedal is over? :help:
Look at the thread topics on MTF! :-(

duong
02-15-2011, 03:18 PM
O. Hernandez was the hottest player in December, I've heard he really trained harder than anyone else :cool: :sport:

then why hasn't he played since the beginning of the year ? :lol:

I'm kidding but I'm really interested in the answer : what's up with King Oscar ?

Nole fan
02-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Yes.

Sonja1989
02-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Look at the thread topics on MTF! :-(

Yes, I looked this and I did make one. :)

Sri
02-15-2011, 03:22 PM
:lol: :lol: :worship:

TennisOnWood
02-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Well, Djokovic is best player in last 6 months, and the forum is reluctantly acknowledging that

Best player from North American Masters?? In your dreams

MARTINBALDRIDGE
02-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Federer's 29 - Nadal's 24 - Djokovic is 23 - Murray's 23 - Del Potro's 2?

An end of an era looms- but don't count Federer's out quite yet.

The Tennis Guy

Martin Baldridge

duong
02-15-2011, 03:25 PM

That's bad, very bad : I nearly badrepped you for that :mad:

Topspindoctor
02-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Olderer and Nadal will meet in Wimbledon final this year.

Pirata.
02-15-2011, 03:36 PM

Davis Cup is a team competition, and let's not get ahead of ourselves here, winning your second slam still doesn't make you the most accomplished player on tour when the two guys ranked ahead of you have 9 and 16 slams respectively.

Sonja1989
02-15-2011, 03:42 PM
If November... Fedal played final in WTF.

!VamosRafa!
02-15-2011, 03:42 PM

:lol:ridiculous

Big_Juicy
02-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Davis Cup is a team competition, and let's not get ahead of ourselves here, winning your second slam still doesn't make you the most accomplished player on tour when the two guys ranked ahead of you have 9 and 16 slams respectively.

Again I'l repeat, I was referring to the period of time from December 2010, to the present. I have no idea how you got that I said his 2 slams are better than 9 or 16..

Roger the Dodger
02-15-2011, 07:17 PM
The question to ask is are most Fedal fans likely to disappear after the era is over like all but one Samprastard disappeared after the Sampras era.

DrJules
02-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Maybe.

The Djokovic and Murray fans could make the Fedal fans appear a rational and logical group (Federer and Nadal did often match the outlandish claims of their fans who said they would win 10 to 20 GS, but can Djokovic and Murray match the claims of their fans). Their fanaticism may eclipse reality to an extent far in excess of the Fedal fans and what they said Federer or Nadal could achieve.

To early to write the Fedal fans off, but their are signs of the changing of the guard.

DrJules
02-15-2011, 07:51 PM
We haven't had a Fedal slam final in over 2 years. That might be a cause for the lessening of Fedal threads.

Don't worry. Come French Open and Wimbledon time, it will be all Fedal.

After the AO final most probably would welcome a Federer and Nadal final.

Allez
02-15-2011, 08:03 PM
After the AO final most probably would welcome a Federer and Nadal final.

A Fedal GS final has not happened since the 2009 AO. That was over 2 years ago. Why would anyone think we'll be seeing an avalanche of Fedal finals all of a sudden ? What's happened to bolster this belief :shrug: Unless proven otherwise Fedal is no more :sad:

leng jai
02-15-2011, 08:26 PM
At least the knee jerking is as prevalent as ever.

Big_Juicy
02-15-2011, 08:42 PM

Nah, knee jerking would be if at this time in 08 people were saying this, or following the '09 US Open. I think it's a fair question to ask considering Fed's last 4 performances in grand slams, and another glimpse of the potential injury problems that may hound Nadal again in the future.

moon language
02-15-2011, 09:34 PM
The question to ask is are most Fedal fans likely to disappear after the era is over like all but one Samprastard disappeared after the Sampras era.

I would imagine the majority will move on and support current players once Federer and Nadal are gone, just like sane Sampras fans did. I'm sure there are plenty of Sampras fans here now, but since Sampras is retired people aren't talking about him much. Same thing will happen with Federer and then Nadal.

RogersBackhand
02-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Nadal is going to win French Open again, Fed will win US and Wimbledon.
Don't say noone told you at the end of the season when you bet on the wrong people :)

Allez
02-15-2011, 10:04 PM

:rolleyes: Knee jerking would have been declaring the Fedal era over following RF's QF loss at last year's RG :p

Fujee
02-15-2011, 10:04 PM

Last 6 months? Absolutely not, only since January has he been the most consistent.

Nadal/Federer have occupied the rest of this time.

duong
02-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Nah, knee jerking would be if at this time in 08 people were saying this, or following the '09 US Open. I think it's a fair question to ask considering Fed's last 4 performances in grand slams, and another glimpse of the potential injury problems that may hound Nadal again in the future.

actually I've been used to thinking of Fed as "Olderer" and dismissing his chances for more than 3 years now, when his level dropped,

but actually I've been really encouraged by what I've seen in the last 6 months : I think he really improved and his match in Melbourne was great, he was not that far from a great Djokovic actually (and I'm not sure Djokovic can regularly play that level ;) )

... and actually since Wimbledon he's still the one who earned the most ATP points ;)

Djokovic has only been the leader since Davis Cup :lol:

For Federer the end of 2008 and the end of 2009 had been rather worse imo than the recent period.

Then well yes Fed is old, but I write him off less now than I used to do ;)

I don't hope anything in RG but in Wimbledon and the US Open if he can bring back that form he's had in last 6 months he'll surely be one of the favorites.

That said, I also hope Djokovic can keep on that form ;) but once again when you speak about knee-jerking in 2008, actually Djokovic had played 5 slam semifinals in a row and also won Masters Series convincingly, for instance Indian Wells 2008, Rome 2008 (now he's not played a MS final since Bercy 2009), he had been much more regular than what he has shown for one year now, I remember some French journalists who had huge hopes for him in the middle of 2008, I don't see many signs that the situation is much better for him now

... except that Federer is 3 years older, but now there's a number 1 Rafael Nadal who has won 3 slams last year and also reached the WTF final which he had never done before, in the beginning of 2008 Nadal was not that kind of player, I even remember that he played several times against Djokovic to avoid being number 3 : Hamburg, Queens ... Djokovic was very good and regular indeed in that time from what I remember but he didn't succeed more.

To summarize, Fed is old but not done, Nadal is in full maturity, and I'm not sure yet that Djokovic is really better than he was in the first part of 2008 on the long run. Then well it's not that a path of roses for Nole, and at least he knows it if not his fans ;)

luie
02-15-2011, 10:58 PM
actually I've been used to thinking of Fed as "Olderer" and dismissing his chances for more than 3 years now,

but actually I've been really encouraged by what I've seen in the last 6 months : I think he really improved and his match in Melbourne was great, he was not that far from a great Djokovic actually (and I'm not sure Djokovic can regularly play that level ;) )

... and actually since Wimbledon he's still the one who earned the most ATP points ;)

Djokiovic has been only the leader since Davis Cup :lol:

For Federer the end of 2008 and the end of 2009 had been rather worse imo.

Then well yes Fed is old, but I write him off less now than I used to do ;)

I don't hope anything in RG but in Wimbledon and the US Open if he can bring back that form he's had in last 6 months he'll surely be one of the favorites.

That said, I also hope Djokovic can keep on that form ;) but once again when you speak about knee-jerking in 2008, actually Djokovic had played 5 slam semifinals in a row and also won Masters Series convincingly, for instance Indian Wells 2008, Rome 2008 (he's not played a MS final since Bercy 2009 now), he had been much more regular than what he has shown for one year, I remember some French journalists who had huge hopes for him in the middle of 2008, I don't see many signs that the situation is much better for him now

... except that Federer is 3 years older, but now there's a number 1 Rafael Nadal who has won 3 slams last year and also reached the WTF final which he had never done before, in the beginning of 2008 Nadal was not that kind of player, I even remember that he played several times against Djokovic to avoid being number 3 : Hamburg, Queens ... Djokovic was very good and regular indeed in that time from what I remember but he didn't succeed more.

To summarize, Fed is old but not done, Nadal is in full maturity, and I'm not sure yet that Djokovic is really better than he was in the first part of 2008 on the long run. Then well it's not that a path of roses for Nole, and at least he knows it if not his fans ;)
Novak can keep that form if all his matches are played @ night on "slow" HC with his countryman bending over for him.If not he will lose regularly.

Big_Juicy
02-15-2011, 11:23 PM

1) He lost in 3 sets, so I don't see how he was "not that far"
2) Djokovic played at that level all tourney and with his confidence riding high I don't see why he wouldn't keep it up.

And going by his GS results, maybe that suggests to you that at his age he is only able to win best of 3 sets tournaments?

Djokovic has only been the leader since Davis Cup :lol:

Djokovic at 23 has two GS's, multiple Masters, TMS, Davis Cup..Please show some respect. It's no Federer, but it's far beyond average.

That said, I also hope Djokovic can keep on that form ;) but once again when you speak about knee-jerking in 2008, actually Djokovic had played 5 slam semifinals in a row and also won Masters Series convincingly, for instance Indian Wells 2008, Rome 2008 (now he's not played a MS final since Bercy 2009), he had been much more regular than what he has shown for one year now, I remember some French journalists who had huge hopes for him in the middle of 2008, I don't see many signs that the situation is much better for him now

I feel that this year Djokovic took the title more convincingly and while facing a tougher field, he has shown more poise and the experience of '08 should keep him honest and ready for more challenges. He should know now that nothing will be handed to him because he won a GS, what seemed to be his attitude of three years ago. As for the Masters tourneys, honestly, as important as they may be, clearly GS is what matters most to these top players, and if it means conserving energy or concentrating more on GS at the expense of Masters results, then I'm all for it. It didn't affect his ranking in any way anyhow.

Nadal is of course the number # 1 favourite when healthy, nobody is doubting that, that's not even in question here, it's Federer who's lost his aura of greatness and intimidation in the eyes of players IMO. Players believe they can beat him now, and dare I say it somebody like Djokovic who's beaten him back-to-back in GS might even have the nerve to feel dissapointed if he loses.

duong
02-15-2011, 11:40 PM
1) He lost in 3 sets, so I don't see how he was "not that far"

he won a bigger % of points (8 points behind) than in New York against a much better Djokovic, in conditions which suited Djokovic well.

A great Djokovic was better but I liked what I saw from Federer

2) Djokovic played at that level all tourney and with his confidence riding high I don't see why he wouldn't keep it up.

I saw it even less in 2008, when he had been much more regular for one year as I told you.

And going by his GS results, maybe that suggests to you exactly that at his age he is only able to win best of 3 sets tournaments?

maybe (actually more convincing to me is the fact that Fed lost 2 slam finals which he should have won in 2009 clearly being short of energy in the 5th set) but every tournament was different : the only big disappointment for me was the US Open, Fed explained about the pressure of wanting to finish early to be fresh to play Nadal, which probably made him play too risky shots and then miss quite a lot in 2nd and 4th set. In Wimbledon he clearly had physical problems whatever people say. He played very well in RG and the AO imo.

Anyway, I rather think that it's the other players who played better in slams (namely Djokovic ... and Söderling in RG) than Fed who played worse ... and also the indoor and fast hardcourt conditions probably suit Fed's "new game" better now.

Djokovic at 23 has two GS's, multiple Masters, TMS, Davis Cup..Please show some respect. It's no Federer, but it's far beyond average.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I've told you that I really hope Djokovic can become next number 1, and that in 2008 I had huge expectations for him (also now but I'm more careful after 3 years experience).

I said that he beat a very good Federer in AO because he played a huge match.

What more can I do ? I've had huge respect for Djokovic, since 2007 actually (I remember for instance Montreal 2007 and also Wimbledon, his great match against Baghdatis), even if some of his fans are funny here, but well some Fedfans and Nadalfans are funny as well :lol:

I feel that this year Djokovic took the title more convincingly and while facing a tougher field, he has shown more poise and the experience of '08 should keep him honest and ready for more challenges. He should know now that nothing will be handed to him because he won a GS, what seemed to be his attitude of three years ago.

He didn't look that arrogant to me in 2008 (and very convincing in AO ;) ), only his family looked like that, I rather think that he was discouraged by some defeats, esp against Nadal then against Fed. And probably also some other mental aspects intervened as he said himself ...

Maybe he may be more solid and less discouraged now, but also he still has more complex imo than he had in 2008, esp against Nadal.

As for the Masters tourneys, honestly, as important as they may be, clearly GS is what matters most to these top players, and if it means conserving energy or concentrating more on GS at the expense of Masters results, then I'm all for it. It didn't affect his ranking in any way anyhow.

It did affect his ranking : he's still number 3 now :shrug:

Nadal is of course the number # 1 favourite when healthy, nobody is doubting that, that's not even in question here, it's Federer who's lost his aura of greatness and intimidation in the eyes of players IMO. Players believe they can beat him now, and dare I say it somebody like Djokovic who's beaten him back-to-back in GS might even have the nerve to feel dissapointed if he loses.

yes yes ... but Djokovic already believed he could beat Federer in 2008.
Anyway Nadal is the (huge) number 1 and the main threat.
I really hope Djokovic can dethrone Nadal ;) but I just wanted to recall memories from 2008 : people could be very optimistic about Djokovic in that time without being fool, there were very good reasons to be optimistic ;)
but I don't say it won't work this time as well, I hope it will ;)

abraxas21
02-16-2011, 12:00 AM
theres only one way to answer this:

big fat NO.

fast_clay
02-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Feds Mate has already migrated away from fed by wrapping his laughing gear around the left testicle of potential wife beater Grigor Dimitrov in the last month...

even the biggest fedgimp has lost his faith and is already looking to latch on to something new so you better fucking believe fedal is over...

its fucking OVAAHHH baby... yeah...:rocker2:

Nole fan
02-16-2011, 12:15 AM
Who is the best GOAT?

http://www.bestweekever.tv/2011-02-11/poll-which-goat-is-the-best-goat/

abraxas21
02-16-2011, 12:16 AM
potential wife beater Grigor Dimitrov

:lol:

Action Jackson
02-16-2011, 03:04 AM
No.

freeandlonely
02-16-2011, 03:54 AM
Sorry, we are still in Nadal-Nadal era, before something big happen.
If Nadal didn't win either RG nor W 2011, then that is big.

Sri
02-16-2011, 03:56 AM
Sorry, we are still in Nadal-Nadal era, before something big happen.
If Nadal didn't win either RG nor W 2011, then that is big.
Going by slams, we are in the Nole-Nadal era.

Vida
02-16-2011, 09:06 AM
djoker mortally wounded the two-headed monster that is fedal. he axed twice on that one head (the feminine one) and it nearly fell off, it is barely still hanging by the inch of its wrinkled skin.

Sri
02-16-2011, 09:21 AM
djoker mortally wounded the two-headed monster that is fedal. he axed twice on that one head (the feminine one) and it nearly fell off, it is barely still hanging by the inch of its wrinkled skin.
Yet Nadal owns Nole in big matches..

Vida
02-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Yet Nadal owns Nole in big matches..

for the time being. djoker is playing better than ever, and it remains too see if nadal will keep his ridiculous form this year. on hard courts, this djoker shouldnt be loosing to nadal lightly. probably on grass as well.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
02-16-2011, 10:16 AM
i still rate fed as fave on grass
2nd on clay but its close with jokes
And slightly ahead of dajoke on fast hard courts

emotion
02-16-2011, 03:23 PM
:lol:ridiculous

Since 6 mos ago

Nadal won USO, Final at WTF, QF at Aussie
Federer lost SF USO (to Djokovic), won WTF, SF At Aussie (to Djokovic)
Djokovic final USO, SF WTF, won Aussie
Soderling won Paris and Murray Shanghai

dodo
02-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Since 6 mos ago

And a combined total 2-5 against Fedal since USO. Total domination.

Nole fan
02-16-2011, 04:40 PM
And a combined total 2-5 against Fedal since USO. Total domination.

He beats him where it matters. :shrug:

dodo
02-16-2011, 04:46 PM
:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:: shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::s hrug:
calendar slam coming up

l_mac
02-16-2011, 05:03 PM

Fedal is two players :confused: and as far as I recall he's never beaten Nadal in an important match (never beat him in a slam, never beat him in a final, didn't beat him at the Olympics)

Topspindoctor
02-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Fedal is two players :confused: and as far as I recall he's never beaten Nadal in an important match (never beat him in a slam, never beat him in a final, didn't beat him at the Olympics)

He'll get his revenge in an exho that's coming up :rocker2::cool:

l_mac
02-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Since 6 mos ago

Nadal won USO (beat Djokovic), Final at WTF (beat Djokovic & Murray), QF at Aussie
Federer lost SF USO (to Djokovic), won WTF (beat Djokovic, Murray and Nadal), SF At Aussie (to Djokovic)
Djokovic final USO (lost to Nadal), SF WTF(lost to Nadal and Federer), won Aussie

duong
02-16-2011, 05:34 PM
as far as I recall he's never beaten Nadal in an important match (never beat him in a slam, never beat him in a final, didn't beat him at the Olympics)

very few of their matches were in a final : outside of clay (where Nadal is 9-0 comparing to 5-7 on hardcourts), they only played 3 finals : Indian Wells 2007 (very young Djokovic, first MS final), Queens 2008 and US Open 2010

as far as slams are concerned only 2 meetings outside of Roland-Garros : Djokovic's retirement in Wimbledon 2007 (he had played several 5 setter-matches if I remember correctly, including against Baghdatis and Hewitt) and once again the US Open 2010.

so many conclusions are based on that US Open 2010 final, it's like the AO 2009 final for Nadal-Federer which would prove that Nadal even beats Fed on hardcourts :shrug:

River
02-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Fedal fans will scratch and claw your eyes out before they give it up. But not before they take you to the depths of obscurity with them.

If you thought the majority of them were vicious /during/ the Fedal era, just wait when we reach the end of it.

As for the answer; maybe. 2011 will see what happens. If no Fedal finals in GS or if one of them get taken out early, then yeah, Fedal is over. Good riddance, to be honest. No offense, but I'd like to see a breath of fresh air every now and then.

l_mac
02-16-2011, 05:45 PM
very few of their matches were in a final : outside of clay (where Nadal is 9-0 comparing to 5-7 on hardcourts), they only played 3 finals : Indian Wells 2007 (very young Djokovic), Queens 2008 and US Open 2010

as far as slams are concerned only 2 meetings outside of Roland-Garros : Djokovic's retirement in Wimbledon 2007 (he had played several 5 setter-matches if I remember correctly, including against Baghdatis and Hewitt) and once again the US Open 2010.

so many conclusions are based on that US Open 2010 final, it's like the AO 2009 final for Nadal-Federer which would prove that Nadal even beats Fed on hardcourts :shrug:

And does this change the fact that Djokovic has never yet beaten Nadal in a match "that matters"? All Djokovic's victories over Nadal have come in hardcourt Masters Events. All best of 3.

duong
02-16-2011, 06:29 PM
And does this change the fact that Djokovic has never yet beaten Nadal in a match "that matters"? All Djokovic's victories over Nadal have come in hardcourt Masters Events. All best of 3.

well you say "all of Djoko's victories were in ..." ... and I just say "all of their matches in other events were very few" : that's the complement :lol:

rafa_maniac
02-16-2011, 06:50 PM

You left out YEC/WTF 0-2 :D

l_mac
02-16-2011, 07:00 PM
1-2, Nole beat Rafa in 2009 - same as everyone else :lol:

well you say "all of Djoko's victories were in ..." ... and I just say "all of their matches in other events were very few" : that's the complement :lol:

Huh? Compliment? :confused:

emotion
02-18-2011, 02:20 AM
Nadal won USO (beat Djokovic), Final at WTF (beat Djokovic & Murray), QF at Aussie
Federer lost SF USO (to Djokovic), won WTF (beat Djokovic, Murray and Nadal), SF At Aussie (to Djokovic)
Djokovic final USO (lost to Nadal), SF WTF(lost to Nadal and Federer), won Aussie

WTF Fed played like GOAT he is. But hasn't any other time.
Nadal lost early at AO, surely you don't think he would've beet Djokovic playing like he did vs Ferrer

abraxas21
02-18-2011, 04:17 AM
MTF's Fedal fanboyism is never over, it rests.

born_on_clay
02-18-2011, 12:31 PM
It's not
Fedal are carrying 3/4 slams atm
unless they carry less than 2/4 it won't be over