Team Spotlights, now for 2012 season. (featuring Kentucky) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Team Spotlights, now for 2012 season. (featuring Kentucky)

out_here_grindin
02-15-2011, 01:31 AM
This is a feature I will do every few days. I will put the spotlight on a particular team who is hot,cold,interesting, contendors or pretenders. The team spotlights will focus on the individual players and positions of the team and their potential for the season.

out_here_grindin
02-15-2011, 02:11 AM
1st feature will go to...

http://www.montanagrannies.com/images/categories/Florida%20State%20Seminoles%20Logo.jpg
The Florida State Seminoles

Last year: FSU's season ended in heartbreaking fashion with a 4-3 loss to UGA in Athens. They could have pulled a big upset and spoiled UGA's NCAA party. They held a 3-1 lead but fell in the end.

Top players:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/fsu/sports/m-tennis/auto_action/2702876.jpeg
Vahid Mizradeh

Vahid Mizradeh: Currently ranked 26. The Senior form Wellingotn,FL is a suprememly talented player and knows this is his year. He has the talent to climb into the top 15. Very entertaining player to watch.
Key wins for this year: def 91 Ed Corrie(Texas) 6-1 6-0, def. 9 Lacroix(Florida) 7-5 2-6 6-4, def 16 Nguyen(USC) 7-6(5) 5-7 (10-7)
Worst loss: defeated by 53 Jung(Michigan) 6-3 6-0

Clint Bowles: Ranked 62, Bowles is a senior from Tampa,FL. He is a very string #2 player and has had a ton of success in his career at FSU.
Key wins: def 35 Spir(GT) 6-3 6-4, def 43 Bangoura Jr.(Florida) 6-3 6-2
worst loss: defeated by 83 de Villiers(Fresno State) 7-5 6-3

Team overview

Strengths: Postitions 1 and 2. They were victorious at positions 1 and 2 vs both Texas and Florida. Mizradeh and Bowles are as strong of a top 2 as anyone in the country. They can beat anyone. The swept both from Florida who has a strong top 2 themselves.

weaknesses: positions 3,5,6: After the top 2 there is a substantial drop off on this team. The likes of Reed,Bucaro,Smith and Kelly-Houston are not up to par with other contendors.
also this team may be snake-bitten. They have now lost 3 matches by heartbreaking 4-3 scores. It may be in their head now. Can't quite break through.
Doubles is also not the teams strong point

key to the season: Blake Davis. The young freshman blue chip from Austin,TX will need to grow up fast this season. This is the last year of Mizradeh and Bowles so this is the year that FSU must make their move. Davis is talented. What this team needs is a solid #3 player who can challenge top players and be a consistent win. The top 2 are very strong but more is needed. So far this season Davis has played at position #4 and had a few big wins, like blanking Ben Chen of Texas 6-0 6-0. Blake Davis could very well be the key to trun a 4-3 loss into a 4-3 win.

Expectations: This team could make a run in the NCAA's based on their top 2. They are better outdoors so that will help them once the season gets going. They have the potential to be #2 in the ACC if they can get more production from 4-6. At best they can make the Elite 8 if they get a good draw. At worst they will be be in the 25-35 range.

next time on Team Spotlights... Texas Tech.

Ozone
02-15-2011, 02:16 AM
Great addition Jeff:yeah: Maybe edit the title every so often on the particular team?

Ozone
02-15-2011, 02:17 AM
Nvm I see you've done that

out_here_grindin
02-27-2011, 02:16 PM
I decided against Texas Tech and will go with a hot team that pulled off a big win yesterday

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm210/tonsterr93/michigan_logo1.jpg

The Michigan Wolverines

Line-up:
1: 48 Evan King (Sophomore, Chicago)
2: 54 Jason Jung (Senior, Torrance,CA
3: Shaun Bernstein (Freshman, Plainview,NY)
4: Chris Madden (Senior, Lotus,CA)
5: Barret Franks (Freshman, Christchurch,New Zealand)
6: Justin Rossi (Freshman, Novi,MI)
alt: Chris Cha (Sophomore, Eureka,MO)

Top Players:

http://www.michigandaily.com/files/imagecache/fullnode/sar.TEN_.menstennisvsmichiganstate.3-20-10.0070.jpg
Evan King

Evan King: Currently ranked #48 in the country. Entered the year unranked but has put together solid wins over ranked players to jump solidly into the rankings. He has a highly touted junior and after an adjustment year last season, King is ready to take flight this year and lead the Wolverines.
Key wins: def 6 Carleton(Duke) 6-3 6-2, def 39 Somen(Virginia Tech) 6-2 7-5
worst loss: defeated by 91 Corria(Texas) 7-6(5) 6-4

Jason Jung: Ranked #54. Jung has been a solid #1 player for Michigan his whole career, but now with the emergence of Evan King he takes his role at #2. He is a very strong player at #2
Key win: def 35 Spir(Georgia Tech) 6-1 6-7 6-2, def 26 Mizradeh(Florida State) 6-0 6-3
Worst loss: none, all losses to decently ranked players

Team Overview:

Strength: Michigan has one of the best top 2's in the nation. Evan King and Jason Jung are both very solid college players. Jung does not lose to unranked players and King is more than capable of a big upset. Michigan must continue to get solid contribution from King and Jung to make noise in the Big Ten.

Weakness: Depth is a weakness. But unlike FSU, it is not that nad. 3-6 has some talent and the dropoff is not as substantial. Doubles is also a weakness

Expectations: 3rd in the Big Ten is the most likely finish. They have the firepower to challenge the top 2 of Illinois and Ohio State but it will still be a substantial upset if they were to beat either one of those teams. They should beat the teams just behind them like Minnesota or Indiana. If they get a decent NCAA draw, making Palo Alto is a serious possibility.

Results this year:

def Western Michigan 7-0

loss to 4 Texas 4-3: This was a tough loss for Mishigan but it shows their challenge to the top teams. Got spanked in doubles. King and Jung pounded their opponents, but Texas took 3-5. Franks was able to win at court 6 as well for the Wolverines.

loss to 6 Duke 7-0: At Duke. Cunha played for Duke in this match. It was a pretty big blowout, only Bernstein at #4 took a set

def 30 Virginia Tech 4-2

def 35 Wake Forest 6-1: Swept singles after losing doubles

def 19 Washington 4-3:

loss to 25 Vanderbilt 5-2: This was a bad loss.. King and Jung won again, but Michigan was beaten on courts 3-6

def 26 Notre Dame 4-3: Strong performance after dropping the doubles point. Jung,King,Berstein and Franks all straight set winners.

def 6 Duke 4-3: Just happened yesterday. Duke did not play Cunha in singles, but still solid for Michigan to take advantage of it. They will rise in the rankings next poll. Jung the experience senior pulled out a tough win over Mengel at court 2 to clinch it.

Ozone
02-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Good choice Jeff.

Stay tuned this Wednesday folks, as Ozone will spotlight a team of his own

out_here_grindin
03-11-2011, 03:23 AM
The next team spotlight features the best team not in a major conference.

http://i55.tinypic.com/10z4k0y.gif

The Pepperdine Waves

Line-up:
1: 17 Sebastian Fanselow (Sophomore, Essen,Germany)
2: 58 Finn Tearney (Sophomore, Wellington,New Zealand)
3: 48 Alex Llompart (Junior, Carolina,Puerto Rico)
4: Alfredo Moreno (Senior, Queretaro,Mexico)
5: Mousheg Hovhannisyan (Sophmore, North Hollywood,CA)
6: 122 Jenson Turner (Junior, Woodland Hills,CA)
alt: Hugh Clarke (Junior, Brisbane,Australia)

Top Players:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2ml6vs.jpg
Alex Llompart

Sebastian Fanselow: Currently ranked #17 in the nation. Fanselow has had an amazing year for a sophomore. He uses his 6'4 height to overpower many of his opponents. He is a strong #1 for the waves
Key wins: def 19 Nguyen(USC) 7-6(4) 6-3, def 30 Courtney(Virginia) 4-6 7-6(4) 7-6(4) def 33 Kearney(UC Irvine) 6-3 7-5)
worst loss: none, all losses to decently ranked players

Alex Llompart: Currently ranked 48 in the ITA rankings. Played Davis Cup for Puerto Rico this past weekend. He has more experience than Tearney and Fanselow at the college level. Very strong #3 player, could easily play #2 but he is currently sitting behing Tearney.
Key wins: def 44 Poldma(USC) 6-1 2-6 7-5, def 52 Meister(UCLA) 4-6 6-3 6-2
worst loss: defeated by Tweedt(Hawaii) 7-6 ret.

Team Overview:

Strength: Powerful trifecta at teh top. The top 3 is vry strong and can hang with any team in the nation. This team has tons of potential considering all of their top 7 players(except Moreno) will be returning next season. Which means they could be even better next year. They are an outdoor team which will benefit them come NCAA time. They have solid depth as well with strong players at 5 and 6

Weakness: Youth, while good to some degree is also a negative. Faselow and Tearney are young players and may not be 100% ready to step it up when they are facing the big boys later in the season.

Expectations: They will easily win the West Coast, San Diego being the only team that can hang with them. They have risen to #13 in the latest rankings. This team has top 10 potential, with a very good top 3 and solid 4-6. Doubles is also pretty strong with two ranked doubles teams. What may hurt them is the lack of serious competitiononce they get into the West Coast schedule. It is vital that they stay in the top 16 and get to host a regional. Because of their location, they are often shipped out to the Southern Cal or Stanford regional which is a draw of death for any team.

Results this year:
(doubles 1,2,3 singles 1,2,3,4,5,6 W=win L=loss U=went unfinished)

def UC Santa Barbara 7-0 (WWW WWWWWW)

def 34 UC Irvine 5-2 (WWW WWWLLW)

def 24 Virginia Tech (WWU LWWLLW) - Moreno pulld out a gutsy win on court 6 to secure a win over a good Hokie team.

loss to 4 Duke 4-3 (LLW LWWLLW) - Heartbreaking doubles loss ended up being the key. Tearney did get a big win over 7 Carleton 16-14 in the supertiebreaker. 4 and 5 gave dissapointing efforts.

def Loyola Marymount 7-0 (WWW WWWWWW)

def 50 Santa Clara 7-0 (WWW WWWWWW)

loss to 7 Southern Cal 5-2 (LWW LLLLWL) - Strong doubles win but the Waves could not follow it up as the Trojans dominated singles. Only Hovhannisyan was able to win, beat Lucassen 6-4 6-4. Llompart had a lopsided 6-2 6-2 loss to 19 Nguyen.

def 54 Boise State (LWW WWWLWW)

def 35 Alabama 4-0 (UWW WWWUUU)

def 25 Notre Dame 4-0 (WWU WWWUUU) - Notre Dame just beat Illinois, so this was an impressive win for Pepperdine. Fanselow,Tearney and Llompart rolled.

def 26 Auburn 4-0 (WUW UUWWWU)

def Hawaii 6-1 (WWW WWLWWW) - Llompart retired, hopefully there isn't much to that injury.

out_here_grindin
01-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Newe ones for the new year coming soon

out_here_grindin
01-24-2012, 02:03 AM
The first feature of the 2012 season goes too...

http://capstonereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/uk-interlocking-4c-rgb1.jpg

The Kentucky Wildcats

Line-Up:
1: 5 Eric Quigley (Senior, Pewee Valley,KY)
2: 13 Alex Musialek (Senior, Dax,France)
3: 36 Anthony Rossi (Junior, Marseille,France)
4: 95 Tom Jomby (Sophomore, Nantes,France)
5: 111 Alejandro Gomez (Sophomore, Cali,Colimbia)
6: 85 Panav Jha (Sophomore, Montreal,Canada)
strong players not in the top 6: Grant Roberts and Ryuji Hirooka

http://bluenationblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/100131UKvWFMensTennis8439-420x575.jpg
Alex Musialek

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/kty/sports/m-tennis/auto_action/6413777.jpeg
Tom Jomby

Top Players:

Eric Quigley: Currently #5 in the nation. The native of Kentucky is hungry for more this year after a stellar career. Has is a player h=who is pro ready. Massive forehand and has good court awareness.
Key wins in the fall season: def 10 Sadio Doumbia(Georgia) twice, def 6 Evan King(Michigan)

Anthony Rossi: Ranked 36 in the last rankings but is on his up the rankings following his win in the SEC indoor tournament, where he beat Sadio Doumbia in the final.
Key Win: def 7 Henrique Cunha (Duke)

Team Overview:

Strength: Solid all the ay through. Solid #1, great #2 and 3 players and ranked players at the bottom. They even have strong players at 7 and 8. This team is also experienced, Quigley and Musialek know what it takes and they are hungry in their final season.

Weakness: Not east to see. But it may be the overall unpredictability of the 6'6 Jomby at #4. Also the fact that they are Senior driven could also up the pressure on the team to perform in the clutch.

Expectations: Over the past few years Kentucky has hovered around the 10-20 range and have been getting ready, getting ready for this season. Everything is in place. They are solid all the way through, there is literally no weaknesses. They are currently 7th in the rankings but have more potential than that. People talk about the big 4, but they should be talking about the top 5 and including Kentucky. They are in the discussion for the national title. Anything short of the final four will be a dissapointment for this hungry bunch.

Key to the season: How well Quigley does against fellow elite players at #1. In the past Quigley has not been able to pull off a massive win. He needs to bring his best when he plays someone like Domijan,Spencer,Johnson or Rola late in the season. If he can beat other top players than the rest of his team will take heart from it.

Ozone
01-24-2012, 03:33 AM
Nice. UK looks super-solid this year, they will be tough to beat in the SEC. I am going to make a bold prediction and say Eric Quigley will win the Singles Championship

out_here_grindin
01-25-2012, 01:56 PM
UK beat Indiana yesterday 7-0 but 4 of the singles matches went to 3 sets. Strong effort from the Hoosiers. The surpise was that Musialek played #1 and Quigley played #2. I wonder if this will change.

Snowwy
02-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Any comments about Jha? Also other Canadians ranked?

out_here_grindin
02-06-2012, 11:47 PM
I don't know a ton about Jha. I have never seen him play so I can'tcomment on his game. He did not play in Kentucky's top 6 last year and recently played #4 for them. He is an improving player.

I do not believe there are any other Canadians in the top 125. Yoann Re of Virginia Tech always hovered around the 50's but he has been graduated for two seasons now.

Snowwy
02-07-2012, 02:54 AM
Really I did not know that. Agostinelli was as high as 4 I think, but he didn't go pro after.

out_here_grindin
02-07-2012, 03:15 AM
I was actually surprised to see no other Canadians in the top 125. When you asked me that I went through the rankings and looked up the players I did not know the nationality of and many who I suspected were Canadian were actually from the UK. Lots of UK players in the top 125 right now.

out_here_grindin
04-04-2012, 03:03 PM
I might do Mississippi State next