ATP Buenos Aires Reports. Final day: The best player won. Congrats for Almagro [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

ATP Buenos Aires Reports. Final day: The best player won. Congrats for Almagro

fran70
02-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Hi there!

I`m going to be attending the tournament of Buenos Aires the whole week long. I guess that I will be posting everyday my experience on there and I hope you enjoy them 

Quallies 1st round. Saturday 12th.
Usually I enjoyed to go and see the quallies of tournaments as there I can see some good projects and sometimes some interesting players too. On past years I had been able to see in this ATP Buenos Aires some players on quallies like Nicolas Lappenti, Gaudenzi, Ramirez Hidalgo, Markus Hipfl, Paco Clavet, Mathieu, Robredo, Felix Mantilla, Acasuso, Bruguera, Horna, Portas, Fognini, Cuevas, Almagro, Garcia Lopez, Schwank, Feliciano Lopez, Bellucci, Tipsarevic, Luczak,Volandri, Ivo Minar, Zeballos, among others .Some of them managed to do it better than others on their careers but it`s always interesting to see some new players that traditionally are not so easy to see on the tour.

Traditionally people like to follow quallies too and they bring their colour to the tournament aswell. People are really entusiastic here and are literate about tennis as I haven`t seen that much even on some Grand Slams around the world. They like to follow the tournament and used to fulfill the stadiums in former years where the regular attendance was higher to 60.000 the whole week. For an ATP 250 is more than good.
Unfortunately the organization of the tournament have rised much more the cost of tickets on the past years which tended to decreased the number of public attending it.

The tournament itself is more than ok. On previous years many Argentine players that used to do it well on the tour played here on their best days like Coria, Gaudio, Nalbandian, Chela, Calleri, Puerta, Monaco, Squillari. Many players of the Spanish Armada came here too (read Nadal, Moya, Corretja, Albert Costa, Sergi Bruguera, Alberto Martin, Felix Mantilla, Ferrer, Ferrero, Verdasco, Robredo, Almagro, Montanes). There were other players that are/were good on the tour and played here too like former Nª1 Guga Kuerten, Marcelo Rios and Magnus Norman and other top players like Gasquet, Mathieu, Andreev, Hanescu, Massu, Nicolas Lapentti, Alberto Martin, Del Potro, Fernando Gonzalez, Youness El Aynaoui, Hicham Arazi, .

Under my opinion with a good marketing job and with the right investments this could be easily an ATP 500.

Quallies.
I attended the 1st round of quallies yesterday and I was just interested on following two matches:

Agustin Velotti bt Facundo Arguello 6-3 4-6 6-0.
Two of the Argentine juniors that have a big future on the tour. Velotti is pretty much like a raw version of Ferrero. His serve is ok, good forehand and a nice two handed backhand. He reads the game well and plays strategically quite good too. Under my opinion he needs to increase more power to his shots and work on his muscles. He needs to spend more time on the future events as it`ss more than obvious that he lacks of experience. But he is a very good project on clay. Not sure about his potential on hard courts.
Facundo Arguello has a different sort of game. He has a good serve, he is really good when he is in control of the ball as he attacks the ball really well, good forehand and his backhand and net game are ok. But he is too unstable yet. By far the best project among the Argentines that are around with less than 20 years old. If he can find that stability I can say that he is ready to jump to the Challenger tour.

Diego Schwartzman bt Andrea Collarini 6-1 6-1.
Schwartzman looks like a new version of Ollie Rochus. He is not higher than 1.70, small and really thin. He is 18 years old but looks like a 15 years old boy. You wouldn`t pay a single penny when you look at him but he is a great counterpouncher, reads the game really well, is really fast and seems to be mentally strong. That was the first time I have seen him playing and I would like to see him quite more often in the future to give a full opinion apart of following his results.
On the contrary Collarini has a powerful serve and groundstrokes. He has a big forehand and nice backhand. He still needs to work a lot on strategies and on his attacking game. But of these four players I think that Collarini and Arguello are the ones that have better tecnical conditions. Collarini wasn`t definitely on his best day and Schwartzman took advantage of that. According to what I saw Collarini needs to spend more time on Future events and I`m not sure about Schwartzman potential yet.

I didn`t attend today Sundays quallies but I will be writing a daily report of the tournament.

I hope you enjoyed it!

Cheers

TennisOnWood
02-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks m8

krystlel
02-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks, looking forward to reports for the rest of the tournament. :yeah:

Helevorn
02-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Thank you :)

Jacques_Ukraine
02-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks, fran70! I guess it's suitable to have the draws here :)

FIRST QUALIFYING ROUND

[1] Albert RAMOS-VINOLAS (ESP) vs Alessandro GIANNESSI (ITA) 6-3 6-2
Juan-Pablo VILLAR (ARG) vs Guillermo DURAN (ARG) 6-1 6-3
Ricardo HOCEVAR (BRA) vs Jorge AGUILAR (CHI) 7-6(6) 5-7 6-4
[5] Peter LUCZAK (AUS) vs Martin VASSALLO ARGUELLO (ARG) 3-6 7-5 6-4

[2] Daniel MUNOZ-DE LA NAVA (ESP) vs Marco TRUNGELLITI (ARG) 6-3 7-5
Giovanni LAPENTTI (ECU) vs Caio ZAMPIERI (BRA) 6-4 6-2
Facundo BAGNIS (ARG) vs Renzo OLIVO (ARG) 6-0 6-1
Pablo GALDON (ARG) vs [6] Adrian UNGUR (ROU) 6-2 7-5

[3] Diego JUNQUEIRA (ARG) vs Alejandro FABBRI (ARG) 6-0 6-2
Lionel NOVISKI (ARG) vs Guido ANDREOZZI (ARG) 6-4 6-4
David MARRERO (ESP) vs [WC] Juan Ignacio LONDERO (ARG) 6-2 6-4
[7] Ivan NAVARRO (ESP) vs [WC] Gonzalo TUR (ARG) 6-4 6-2

[4] Paul CAPDEVILLE (CHI) vs [WC] Facundo LUGONES (ARG) 6-4 6-0
[WC] Diego Sebastian SCHWARTZMAN (ARG) vs Andrea COLLARINI (USA) 6-1 6-1
Agustin VELOTTI (ARG) vs Facundo ARGUELLO (ARG) 6-3 4-6 6-0
[8] Juan Pablo BRZEZICKI (ARG) vs Juan-Pablo AMADO (ARG) 6-1 6-1

SECOND QUALIFYING ROUND

[1] Albert RAMOS-VINOLAS (ESP) vs Juan-Pablo VILLAR (ARG) 6-1 6-1
Ricardo HOCEVAR (BRA) vs [5] Peter LUCZAK (AUS) 6-4 7-6(4)

Giovanni LAPENTTI (ECU) vs [2] Daniel MUNOZ-DE LA NAVA (ESP) 6-2 1-6 7-6(6)
Pablo GALDON (ARG) vs Facundo BAGNIS (ARG) 1-6 7-6(4) 6-4

[3] Diego JUNQUEIRA (ARG) vs Lionel NOVISKI (ARG) 6-3 6-3
[7] Ivan NAVARRO (ESP) vs David MARRERO (ESP) 6-4 5-7 7-6(5)

[4] Paul CAPDEVILLE (CHI) vs [WC] Diego Sebastian SCHWARTZMAN (ARG) 6-1 6-4
[8] Juan Pablo BRZEZICKI (ARG) vs Agustin VELOTTI (ARG) 7-5 6-0

Certinfy
02-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Awesome :yeah:

Marita_Matthäus
02-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Thank you :worship:

Action Jackson
02-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Keep up the good work Fran.

Hewitt =Legend
02-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Good job Fran. Look foward to reading your reports throughout the week.

Jacques_Ukraine
02-14-2011, 10:12 PM
FINAL QUALIFYING ROUND

[1] Albert RAMOS-VINOLAS (ESP) vs Ricardo HOCEVAR (BRA) 6-4 6-2
Pablo GALDON (ARG) vs Giovanni LAPENTTI (ECU) 6-3 1-6 6-4
[7] Ivan NAVARRO (ESP) vs [3] Diego JUNQUEIRA (ARG) 7-6(3) 7-5
[8] Juan Pablo BRZEZICKI (ARG) vs [4] Paul CAPDEVILLE (CHI) 6-3 3-6 6-2

hotdog
02-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Any reports Fran?

Caio_Brasil
02-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks a lot Fran, the way you describe the tournament is perfect and just make me want to come back. The atmosphere there is just awesome, it's great to be among true tennis fans.

Hope you have a good time during the week. Too bad Giovanni and Ricardo lost today and won't be in the main draw :sad:

jmf07
02-15-2011, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the reports

fran70
02-15-2011, 03:27 AM
Today it was a shinny day in Buenos Aires. Inspite it`s summer time here the weather was nice with temperatures between 29 and 20 degrees. No clouds and no humid. A perfect day to play tennis.

I estimate that there were around five thousand people around the main and secondary courts during the day and night sessions, different stands and places to eat. Much more than I would had expected. I saw Jaite and I felt tempted to ask him if the tournament is going to be hold on hard courts next year, why Ferrer and Giraldo withdrew among many things that I would like to know. I miss those days of priviledge when holding a journalist card was enough to invade anyone with questions. But I am just a tennis fan on these days and believe me that is much better than to hold that card.

The main draw is quite good. Just a shame that Ferrer and Giraldo withdrew. Ferrer is a player that I admire and it`s a pleasure to see him playing but I was really looking forward to see Giraldo. I don`t understand why Bellucci didn`t come again either. But generally speaking the line up is pretty good for a ATP 250.

Some people mentioned on this forum that it would be a good idea to switch the surface of Buenos Aires to hard courts but just think on the fact that tournaments at this time of the year are being hold in USA and Europe on hard courts so the Latin American swing would have nothing different to offer and give some players a good reason to make such long trip. The fact that it is played on clay encourage many clay court players to come to this part of the world. Under my opinion I wouldn`t change it.

I arrived around midday and I was particularly interested on the following matches that I saw:

QFR. Ivan Navarro bt Diego Junqueira 7-6 7-5
I watched Ivan Navarro in the past in a memorable match in the USO against Taylor Dent and I was really looking forward to see him playing. He is pretty big and looks quite heavy too. The tactic to beat him on clay is more than clear: Good return of serves and move him around the court. But Junqueira was not in one of his best days, remained fighting with his own demons and definitely missed the tactic. Navarro has a good serve and likes to serve and volley as much as he can. Otherwise he serves and hit a winner on the next ball. His attacking game is good, decent volleys and good smash. Not the traditional Spanish style of playing but reminded me in many ways to Juan Balcells.
Navarro played much clever than Junqueira and that was the main reason he won that match.

QFR. Juan Pablo Brzezicki bt Paul Capdeville 6-3 3-6 6-2
On court two was playing Brzezicki with Capdeville. “The Polish” (el polaco as he is well known along the Argentine players on the tour) found more troubles than I would had expected but managed to keep his concentration to close the match 6-2 in the third set. Brzezicki is followed by a groupie of friends, family and other beasties when he plays in Argentina but I think that they go too far as they make too much noice and they were pretty rude with Capdeville at certain periods of the match, It was funny because even Navarro complained while he was playing on the next court.

Doubles. 1st round. Ferreiro-Sa bt Muñoz de la Nava – Souza 2-6 6-1 10-7
On the first set Ferreiro and Sa played horribly and made several mistakes of all kind of colours. And Souza, who is under my opinion a player with a huge talent, was the best player among the four players on the court. I had an eye on the next court and when I found that Gil won the first set 6-1 I left that match and move to the second court.

Singles. 1st round. Fabio Fognini bt Frederico Gil 1-6 6-2 6-2
When I arrived to the second court Gil was about to close the first set. Gil was doing nothing extraordinary but just put the ball in while Fabio made unnumbered unforced mistakes. But as the games on the 2nd set went by and Fabio was finding his rythm back he started to hit one winner after the other. He gained his confidence back and found no troubles to close it. The 3rd set looked like that Gil was going to get in control of the match again but he never found a way to control Fognini attacking game. Under my opinion Gil is not a bad player but I think he could have had more chances if he would had decided to attack Fognini. He never change the tactic along the whole match.
It was funny as an Italian man on his late 50ties spent the whole match screaming Allora Fabio, “something” coto “something” (which means something like he was eating him or something like) among other things in Italian that I didn`t understand. But at the end of the match Fabio waved his arms in direction of that strange man and looked really happy.
Under my opinion this was the best match of the day.

Doubles. 1st round. Cuevas- Marrero bt Berlocq – Schwank 1-6 7-6 10-5
I arrived there after the Argentines won 6-1 and the second set was about to start. They were in control of the match until the tie break where things changed dramatically since then. Since that tie break and the mini tie break of the 3rd set they played 22 points of which Schwank- Berlocq won just five. It`s quite difficult to win a match in that way...
It was an interesting match. It was the first time I`d seen Marrero in ages and he plays pretty well on doubles. I wouldn`t say it was a match of the Woodies against Edberg-Jarryd but it was a nice match though 
It was funny because as in Flushing Meadows the airport is so close in the border of the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club there is a train line. And Berlocq complained about the train the whole time when things were not going well.

Just a shame that Kubot is not playing with Marach and that Mello- Soares decided to play in Memphis instead of Buenos Aires and Acapulco (they played before in Santiago and Costa do Sauipe). I think that the doubles line up is pretty weak.

Singles. 1st round. Tommy Robredo bt Machi Gonzalez 7-5 6-2
Robredo didn`t play his best match. He was making a lot of mistakes with his backhand as for some reason why his movement was not the right one. I don`t know if he is suffering some sort of pain on his arm or wrist but he was not making the movement correcty. Machi was playing well on the first set and he had his chances to break Robredo in the first set. But while serving at 5-6 he made three unforced mistakes which cost him to lose that first set. On the 2nd set Machi was not playing that high percentage of winners and lost it easily .

I was tired so I didn`t stay for Chela-Machado match.

I read on some info of the organization that semifinals and final are going to be televised for Latinamerica (Bandsports in Brazil and Meridiano in Venezuela), USA (?), Europe (they mentioned Televisa of Spain), Asia (J-Sport in Japan, PCCW in Hong Kong, Astro in Malaysia and Strahub in Singapour) ) and Middle East (Al Jazeera for 23 countries in Middle East).
Tomorrow is going to be a very long day as it starts quite early and I`m interested on the two night matches (Nalbandian with Starace and Dolgopolov with Acasuso)

I`m going to write tomorrow`s report on Wednesday morning as I`m going to arrive home quite late

I recorded some videos and I have some pics that I`m going to upload to a page in facebook. I will told you later if you would like to join it and see them

I hope you enjoy the report!

Cheers

Fran

FiBeR
02-15-2011, 04:18 AM
:yeah: lets meet up tomorrow. some other mtfers are going to be there fran. today i watched lapentti-galdon, capdeville-brzezicki, montanes-rrh, mayer-del bonis, robredo-machi and chela-machado :rolls:

really nice matches. Mayer-Del bonis was pretty intense. So was Brzezicki-Capdeville. anyway pm me if you wanna meet up

Getta
02-15-2011, 05:14 AM
Fran, you did a lot of good work here.

thank you.

Jacques_Ukraine
02-15-2011, 06:49 AM
FIRST ROUND

[1] Nicolas ALMAGRO (ESP) vs [Q] Pablo GALDON (ARG)
Leonardo MAYER (ARG) vs [WC] Federico DEL BONIS (ARG) 7-6(1) 7-5
Lukasz KUBOT (POL) vs Pablo CUEVAS (URU)
[WC] Jose ACASUSO (ARG) vs [7] Alexandr DOLGOPOLOV (UKR)

[3] David NALBANDIAN (ARG) vs Potito STARACE (ITA)
[Q] Juan Pablo BRZEZICKI (ARG) vs Filippo VOLANDRI (ITA)
[Q] Albert RAMOS-VINOLAS (ESP) vs Joao SOUZA (BRA)
[6] Tommy ROBREDO (ESP) vs [WC] Maximo GONZALEZ (ARG) 7-5 6-2

[8] Juan Ignacio CHELA (ARG) vs Rui MACHADO (POR) 4-6 6-2 6-2
Pablo ANDUJAR (ESP) vs Horacio ZEBALLOS (ARG)
Fabio FOGNINI (ITA) vs Frederico GIL (POR) 1-6 6-2 6-2
[4] Albert MONTANES (ESP) vs Ruben RAMIREZ-HIDALGO (ESP) 6-1 7-6(0)

[5] Juan MONACO (ARG) vs [Q] Ivan NAVARRO (ESP)
Igor ANDREEV (RUS) vs Eduardo SCHWANK (ARG)
Daniel GIMENO-TRAVER (ESP) vs Victor HANESCU (ROU)
Carlos BERLOCQ (ARG) vs [2] Stanislas WAWRINKA (SUI)

Sonja1989
02-15-2011, 06:52 AM
Thaank you very much Fran!!! :)

GlennMirnyi
02-15-2011, 04:22 PM
This isn't the place for posting the draw. There's such a thread at this particular tournament section.

Sonja1989
02-15-2011, 04:24 PM
This isn't the place for posting the draw. There's such a thread at this particular tournament section.

:haha: But you are right. :)

Jacques_Ukraine
02-16-2011, 02:07 AM

I have an opposite opinion :) As for me, it's suitable to have a draw at hand when thread discusses a tournament...
However, i'm ready to listen to the thread author and users

BlueSoul Formula
02-16-2011, 02:17 AM
Great reports. It's always best to hear the breakdown first hand from someone who observed the matches with their naked eyes rather than through a screen.

FiBeR
02-16-2011, 03:43 PM
:bounce: met Fran yesterday. Looking forward to the report

fran70
02-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Beforehand thanks for your positive responses, pm and reputation!!!

Day 2. Tuesday . 1st round. Dolgo had “saudades” from Sauipe.

Yesterday was a busy day. Lots of matches and some interesting players to see so I jumped from court to court sometimes.

The weather was hotter than on Monday. Around 3 PM (during Kubot – Cuevas and Wawrinka – Berlocq matches) the weather was really hot and it played a role on certain matches. It is forecasted to be even hotter today.

Again the public attendance was quite surprising for a first round as there were around 3000 spectators during the day session and at night the main court was almost full around 5000 spectators. There was a very nice atmosphere again.

I saw the following matches:
Court 3. Ramos Viñolas bt Joao Souza 6-4 6-0
The match started with Feijao in control of the match, attacking the spaniard who played quite well on the defense but was really nervous. Souza was serving well, playing lot of winners from his forehand and backhand and his net game was quite impressive. I believed he was going to break Ramos Viñolas at any time but suddenly and out of the blue at 4-5 he made several mistakes with his serve and was broken inmediately with Ramos Viñolas taking the first set. On the second set he just gave up and Ramos Viñolas didn`t find any troubles to close the match 6-0.
Ramos Viñolas doesn`t do anything extraordinary: His serve and background game are ok. He is quite consistent and doesn`t make many mistakes. On the other hand Souza has a huge potential but he is mentally quite weak. Tecnically speaking the only weak point that I noticed is that he makes a lot of mistakes with his two handed backhand motion as he wants to hit the ball as harder as possible using his arms instead of combining arms and wrists. A two handed backhand should give him more control of it but it`s exactly the opposite in his case.

Court 3. Cuevas bt Kubot 5-7 7-5 6-3
I saw the first set when Cuevas was rallying 4-1 and a break up and I went to see the match between Schwank and Andreev and I returned on the 2nd set with Kubot 7-5 and 5-5.
Kubot has a good serve but for some reason why he was not confident on it to display his tactic. He seemed to feel quite insecure even when he was serving a good percentage of first sets and Cuevas quite fast jumped to 4-1 in the first set. When I returned back he was 7-5 and 5-5. He lost his serve quite easily and Cuevas took advantage of that to close it 7-5. On the 3rd set Kubot was playing well as well as Cuevas but he lost his serve twice 3-3 and 3-5 to give the Uruguayan the victory. Cuevas played his traditionally game. Good first serves and deep forehands, moved Kubot around the court forcing him to make mistakes with Kubot trying to hit as many winners as possible. Good victory for Cuevas with good chances to reach quarterfinals

Court 2. Schwank bt Andreev 6-4 7-6
I arrived there on the 2nd set with Schwank rallying one set ahead. Andreev took control of the second set quite fast and headed 5-2 serving for the set. But he lost his serve twice which encouraged Schwank to close it on a tie break. Many mistakes from both sides but Schwank played better on the decisive moments of the match.
Andreev is quite far away of the player he used to be. His shots doesn`t produce any damage. He didn`t put so much pressure, wanted to play long rallies that never worked out and he was extremely cautious even when he was serving twice for the 2nd set.

Main court. Wawrinka bt Berlocq 6-4 3-6 6-3
It was the best match of the day. Berlocq played a great match. He gave a big fight with his limited resources against a powerful Wawrinka who was not in one of his best days. The tactic of Berlocq was clear: to play long rallies, move Stan around the court trying to force him to produce unforced mistakes and play winners when he was in control of the point. Wawrinka played his traditional game: A good percentage of 1st serves, short points with winners coming from his forehand and backhand when he has a chance to rocket them. And attack Berlocq`s serve everytime he had a chance.
On the first set Berlocq was rallying 3-0 with Stan making a lot of mistakes but he took control of the match quite fast winning 5 games in a row to close the first set 6-4. On the 2nd set Stan started to make more mistakes , some of them because unforced ones and other ones because Berlocq decided to attack Wawrinka which seemed to surprised him. Charly was rallying 5-1, Stan recovered 5-3 and had his chances to break Berlocq one more time but Charly played that game really well to close the set 6-3.
On the 3rd set started with Berlocq attacking Wawrinka who didn`t find answers and looked quite in dangerous everytime he was serving. But at 3-3 Berlocq at the end of a serving motion hitted with his racket to his foot and got injured. He received medical attention but he was not the same player and Stan took advantage of the situation to close the match 6-3
After the match Stan said that he didn`t play his best tennis as he didn`t play on clay for quite a long time.

Main court. Nalbandian bt Starace 6-4 6-4
On the night session the main court was almost full. People like to follow Nalbandian on this lands.
The match started with Starace and Nalbandian playing good tennis. None of them did anything extraordinary but Nalbandian took advantage of a chance that Starace gave him in the first set to close it 6-4. On the second set Nalbandian broke at 2-1 but he was broken back quite inmediately by the Italian. And Nalbandian broke back at 4-4 to close the match 6-4. It was a nice match to see.

Main court. Acasuso bt Dolgopolov 6-2 6-4
I was really looking forward to see Dolgo playing but I guess it was not the right day. Beforehand I believed that Dolgo was going to win it easily especially considering the latest performances of both players. In normal circunstances Dolgo should trash Acasuso even on clay. But today was not that day.
Dolgo made a such unnumbered of unforced mistakes taking the ball TOO early or TOO late. Playing to just one ball and of course making more mistakes than hitting winners when he could had build up the points a bit more especially against a player like Acasuso who is not the sort of player that can put him in danger. He played some amazing points and showed that he is a really talented player. Really different to the ones that you can see normally on the tour.
But to be honest I don`t really know what to think of that match. I don`t know if he tanked the match, if he didn`t wanted to be there that night or simply if it wasn`t a good day for him. But if it wasn`t a good day for him it was for sure one of the worst ones. I almost forgot to mentioned that Acasuso won his first match on ATP tournaments since that first round in Santiago in February 2010. Not much to be said.

Today I`m going to attend the start of the 2nd round. More reports today at night or tomorrow in the morning

Cheers!

Fran

Elbarto
02-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks Fran :yeah:

hotdog
02-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Good 1 Fran. Perhaps Federer's Mate can take a leaf out of your books:D

philosophicalarf
02-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Great thread, thanks.

Sonja1989
02-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Thanks! :)

oranges
02-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Many thanks, great reports :)

Jacques_Ukraine
02-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Thank you, Fran!

Henry Chinaski
02-16-2011, 09:48 PM
great stuff Fran.

GlennMirnyi
02-17-2011, 12:00 AM
:haha: But you are right. :)

I have an opposite opinion :) As for me, it's suitable to have a draw at hand when thread discusses a tournament...
However, i'm ready to listen to the thread author and users

It's not about the original poster or the users. Forum rules are forum rules. Don't take it personally.

Great reports, Fran. Loved the portuguese in there. ;)

Say Hey Kid
02-17-2011, 12:23 AM
Thanks Fran! Good read!

fast_clay
02-17-2011, 12:26 AM
noice :yeah:

fran70
02-17-2011, 05:23 AM
It was another shinny day but hotter than yesterday. There was not even a breeze and it was a tough day for those ones that play at mid day. During the day the weather was up to 30 degrees and during the night session it was around 20 which was really nice. Strickly speaking about weather it clearly affected Montañes and Fognini during the first single match.

The public attendance was not such remarkable as yesterday and between both day and night sessions I reckon there were no more than 5000 spectators. But it was a nice day though.

I saw the following matches

Central court. 2nd round. Montañes bt Fognini 6-2 4-6 6-4
It was a really tough match for both players who looked really tired at the beggining of the third set. The heat was unbearable. Montanes started better in the first set and had no troubles to break Fognini twice who seemed to respect the Spaniard probably too much. On the second set Montañes took an early break and seemed to lead to an easy victory when Fabio started to show all his class and resources and managed to break Albert twice to take that second set.
Fabio is not the same player that I saw on previous years. Now he has a weapon on his forehand and backhand, his serve is ok and he has good hands for dropshots and volleys. Probably his weakness issues are that he still lacks of that cold feet that in tennis is so important and his foot work is really poor.
On the second set he hitted many forehand and backhand winners, good return of serves and he was more aggresive over Albert 2nd serve. He found no troubles to break Albert twice to take that 2nd set. Things were equal on the first games but without any sense Fabio got mad and smashed his racket to the floor for which he received a warning. Then he made a couple of unforced errors, Albert smelled blood and broke Fabio`s serve which was the one that leaded him to win the match. Fabio made a try and had a few chances to break back but Albert is mentally stronger and managed to survive to win and reach quarterfinals after almost three hours.
Particularly I don`t like Albert style but I admire his tenacity and that he doesn`t give up so easily. I like Fabio`s game but he is still quite immature which leads him to lose matches like the one of today. I think that Albert has a good draw to reach the finals.

Court 3. Doubles quarterfinal. Dolgopolov–Andreev bt Luczak – Machi Gonzalez 6-0 4-6 10-3
I wanted my Tuesday night ticket to be paid back so I returned to see Dolgo playing. He paid a part of it but it was a consolation after all. Igor and Dolgo were having a great time, laughing and talking a lot during the warm up like a club match with friends. I try to understand Dolgo`s mentality and the only thing that comes to my mind is that at his age Santoro was quite similar to him in the way that he needed to enjoy the matches and as well as the magician at the beggining of his career he plays in the way he wakes up. I would love to follow Dolgo during the tour and see how he really is like but this week gives me pretty much a picture of him.
Dolgo did fantastic things during the first set. He even hitted an open twisted smash from the middle of the court that bounced with some topspin inmediately after the net over the doubles line and left the court. I only saw Sampras doing things like that on a training match with Paul Annacone.
Gonzalez and Luczak had a clear tactic that was to hit strong shots to Dolgo`s wrist and that ball ended even without bouncing at the other side of the net along with a few brilliant stop volleys. Believe me that this man is amazing. And give him a break and remember that many times this kind of magicians don´t finish as top ranked players.
They forgot to play on the 2nd set and decided on the tie break to finish the match. Dolgo was laughing during the match but Igor didn`t look that happy when they lost the 2nd set but he recovered the smile after reaching SF.

Court 2. Doubles 1st round. Bracciali – Starace bt Arguello – Brzezicki 6-2 5-7 10-8
I saw only the tie break of the 3rd set and when the Italians looked in danger they started to hit all the shots over Arguello who held the pressure really well and played brilliantly inspited of the defeat.

Central court. 2nd round. Wawrinka bt Hanescu 6-7 6-1 7-6
This was the best match that I had seen in this tournament till now. Hanescu is one of those dangerous unseeded floaters that when he is on the zone can beat anyone. And today he was in one of those days.
On the first set Victor took an early break and was leading 3-0 but Stan managed to break back to tie the score 3 all. After that both players didn`t have serious troubles to keep their serves till the tie break where Hanescu played better and kept the first set.
The tactic was more than clear for both players: A high percentage of first serves and aces , powerful forehand and backhands, and when it was possible forcing their opponent to make mistakes. And the one that prevailed on that department during the match was Hanescu.
On the 2nd set Hanescu showed why some people believe that he tends to tank matches. But I think that he gets frustrated easily. He was playing well and serving 0-1 on that 2nd set when he made a few mistakes with his serve. He started to insult and lost it. That was really fast when Stan found himself rallying 5-0 on that 2nd set and he won it easily 6-1.
On the 3rd set Hanescu started to play his best tennis again. And Stan was forced to do the same because he was threatened constantly by Victor attacks. At 5-6 Stan was serving 15-30 when after a rally a winner hitted by Victor fell just a few inches wide. That was the ball of the match and you could see that release over Stan`s face. He knew that he survived. And they started the tie break of the last set. Stan was playing his best tennis, hitting winners and attacking Hanescu at every chance. One mini break was enough to close the match after almost 2 hours 30 minutes. It was one of the best matches I had seen played on clay lately.

Tomorrow there aren`t many interesting matches. I guess that I am going to see Almagro with Mayer and I would like to see Bracciali – Starace with Ferreiro – Sa along with the night matches.

Cheers

Fran

Caralimon
02-17-2011, 05:56 AM
Monaco's reaction, after the tv journalist told him his football team had just lost 5-0, was priceless. Totally ruined the win for him.

GlennMirnyi
02-17-2011, 05:58 AM
Monaco's reaction, after the tv journalist told him his football team had just lost 5-0, was priceless. Totally ruined the win for him.

Well what a pathetic loss it was. I stopped watching by 0-3. :o

He should've been happy he missed the match.

Action Jackson
02-17-2011, 06:20 AM
Great work Fran, loving the reports. These are a good reason not to turn this event into hardcourts.

Monaco has huge love for Estudiantes.

FiBeR
02-17-2011, 06:28 AM
:bounce: buena fran

Ad Wim
02-17-2011, 07:23 AM
Nice on Fran!

Young 8
02-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Central court. 2nd round. Wawrinka bt Hanescu 6-7 6-1 7-6

On the 3rd set Hanescu started to play his best tennis again. And Stan was forced to do the same because he was threatened constantly by Victor attacks. At 5-6 Stan was serving 15-30 when after a rally a winner hitted by Victor fell just a few inches wide. That was the ball of the match and you could see that release over Stan`s face. He knew that he survived. And they started the tie break of the last set. Stan was playing his best tennis, hitting winners and attacking Hanescu at every chance. One mini break was enough to close the match after almost 2 hours 30 minutes. It was one of the best matches I had seen played on clay lately.

Cheers

Fran

Can you explain me why Wawrinka, at some point in the middle of the third, literally threw his racquet on the other side of the court (almost from his baseline) getting the warning ??

Shirogane
02-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the nice reports. :clap2:

Really enjoyed the Wawrinka Hanescu match. Didn't quite get why he threw his racket across the net the first time though. :confused:

Sonja1989
02-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks again Fran!!! :worship:

fran70
02-17-2011, 12:30 PM

:eek: I didn`t know the result. To be honest on these days I follow every sport but I got sick of the corrumption of football. I just follow the Premier league. :)

fran70
02-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the nice reports. :clap2:

Really enjoyed the Wawrinka Hanescu match. Didn't quite get why he threw his racket across the net the first time though. :confused:

Hi Shirogane and Young 8

Everybody was wondering the same :D. He broke a string and he threw the racket to the other side of the net. I think that he wasn`t expecting the racket to go so far but Wawrinka seems to have some sort of strange behaviours like this one for example. Be broke five strings if I`m not wrong.

nalbyfan
02-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Stan's divorce got on his nerve...

fran70
02-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Great work Fran, loving the reports. These are a good reason not to turn this event into hardcourts.

Monaco has huge love for Estudiantes.

Agree :yeah:. This South American swing offers something different with the clay surface and weather that the indoor European swing the US tournament can`t do at this time of the year.

There are players that come here year after year. The prize money is less than in Europe and US but The atmosphere is really nice and also helps some good clay courters whose rankings are not at their best to go further on the draw and gain more points than they would get in US or the European swings.

Yes, Monaco is a huge fan of Estudiantes. Football is a big thing down under here and as you well know many players like to follow their teams. But Monaco is the only one that I can remember that show it so intensively on the court (remember when in Bastaad he went in to the stadium dressing his Estudiantes shirt when they won the Libertadores Cup. :)

fran70
02-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks so far for your positive posts, pm and reputation Nadal Power, Krystlel, Helevorn, Jacques Ukraine, Certinfy, Marita Matthaus,Action Jackson, Hewitt= Legend, Caio Brasil, Hotdog, Jmf07, Fiber, Getta, Sonja 1989, Glen Mirnyi, Blue soul formula, El barto, Philosophicalarf, Oranges, Henry Chinaski, Say hey kids, Fast clay, Caralimon, Ad Win, Young 8, Shirogame, Nalbyfan, TM Jordan, Shuhrat, Dini and Horatio Caine :worship:

This is great that you are enjoying it.

More reports at the end of the day.

Cheers

Fran

nalbyfan
02-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Have a nice evening under the sun !!

Sonja1989
02-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Thanks so far for your positive posts, pm and reputation Nadal Power, Krystlel, Helevorn, Jacques Ukraine, Certinfy, Marita Matthaus,Action Jackson, Hewitt= Legend, Caio Brasil, Hotdog, Jmf07, Fiber, Getta, Sonja 1989, Glen Mirnyi, Blue soul formula, El barto, Philosophicalarf, Oranges, Henry Chinaski, Say hey kids, Fast clay, Caralimon, Ad Win, Young 8, Shirogame, Nalbyfan, TM Jordan, Shuhrat, Dini and Horatio Caine :worship:

Cheers

Fran

:) Good to read always. Particularly, because we didn't have stram in first two days.
But e.g. I saw Montanes - Fognini match, even so the report was good to read too!

Young 8
02-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Hi Shirogane and Young 8

Everybody was wondering the same :D. He broke a string and he threw the racket to the other side of the net. I think that he wasn`t expecting the racket to go so far but Wawrinka seems to have some sort of strange behaviours like this one for example. Be broke five strings if I`m not wrong.

Thanks

Helevorn
02-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Don't miss Cuevas - Acasuso tonight, it may be an interesting match :) Looking forward to reading more reports, of course! ;)

cane_cattivo
02-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Great reports, Fran! And yes, these events wouldn't be as interesting played on hard courts.

Horatio Caine
02-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Great match reports, and it seems that you have seen some entertaining matches this week. :yeah:

fran70
02-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Yesterday was another tough day. The heat was unbearable again and clearly affected Mayer.

I`d just stayed focused on a few matches:
Central court. Almagro bt Mayer 6-7 6-1 6-3
The match was tougher for Almagro than he would had expected and at several times of the match he openly showed his frustration. The first set was really tight. Both player kept their serve without real troubles till the tie break where Mayer played better to win it. Almagro was really mad at the end of it but after a few games on the second set Mayer called medical attention. I`m not sured what really happened but his level looked clearly diminished after that. He called for medical attention a couple of times more and Almagro easily won it 6-1.
On the last set both players gave some good tennis and both kept their serves till 4-3 where Almagro broke Mayer`s serve to win the match 6-3. The match was pretty good and Mayer gave a fight till he was in good shape. On the last set proved that he is a much better than Mayer on the key times. Well deserved victory for the Spaniard.

Court two. Ferreiro – Sa bt Bracciali – Starace 6-4 6-4
I`d just saw a few games when the Brazilians broke to lead 5-3. The Italians hold their serve 5-4 and easily Ferreiro – Sa won 6-4 to reach the SF.
Ferreiro and Sa played last year with good results on the Challenger tour and after this victory are clear candidates to win the title.

Main court. Acasuso bt Cuevas 6-7 7-5 6-1
I arrived there on the 2nd set when Cuevas was playing better and was rallying 7-6 and 5-3 to close the match. But nerves captured him and Acasuso won four games in a row to win the set 7-5. Acasuso had all the support of the stadium and this choke of Cuevas helped him to raise his confidence. He played really well on the third set when Cuevas gave up after the 2nd break on his serve. Good victory for Acasuso.

Main court. Nalbandian bt Brzezicki 6-2 6-1
During the night session the only name of Nalbandian pushed 5000 fanatics to fil up the main court. But one hour and a few minutes were enough for King David to demolish Brzezicki.

I didn`t stay for the night match of Robredo and Ramos Viñolas.

Today the rain washed out the day session (Chela and Montañes were rallying 3 all in the 3rd set and it seems to be that the night session is going to be suspended too). If they can play (which I really doubt due to the heavy rains that are falling right now) the surface is going to be really slow which should benefit Robredo on his match with Nalbandian and Monaco on his match with Wawrinka. Not sure when Acasuso and Almagro are going to play (possibly on court two)

Cheers,

Fran

Say Hey Kid
02-18-2011, 11:40 PM
Thanks as always for the reports Fran, I really enjoy reading them and appreciate it!

Still in a rain delay I see. Do you think we will see anymore tennis today?

fran70
02-18-2011, 11:52 PM
Thanks as always for the reports Fran, I really enjoy reading them and appreciate it!

Still in a rain delay I see. Do you think we will see anymore tennis today?

It is heavily raining right now. I think it will be definitely cancelled and amtches reescheduled for tomorrow.

fran70
02-19-2011, 12:15 AM
:secret: It seems to be that Nalbandian- Robredo are going to play in main court at 12 and Wawrinka-Monaco at the same time in court 2. Later on Acasuso-Almagro and Chela-Montanes.
And semifinals starting at 7 PM :cuckoo:

It`s not really fair for Almagro-Acasuso as the winner of Robredo - Nalbandian will arrive there more fresh.

Not even to mention that Chela- Almagro will have to play doubles yet (they should withdraw)

It would had been more fair if:
QF Nalbandian - Robredo would had been scheduled at 11AM in main court and at the same time Almagro - Acasuso in court 2. Later on Wawrinka - Monaco in main court and on the other court Chela - Montañes finish their match (3-3 in the 3rd set).
SF at 7 or 8 PM. The winner of Nalbandian-Robredo vs the winner of Almagro-Acasuso and later on the winner of Wawrinka-Monaco vs the winner of Chela-Montañes
:o

fast_clay
02-19-2011, 12:24 AM
yeah... that's some strange scheduling right there...

fran70
02-19-2011, 12:25 AM
Final rescheduled for tomorrow Saturday:
12PM. Main court: Nalbandian vs Robredo
12PM. Court 2: Wawrinka vs Monaco
12PM. Court 3: Almagro vs Acasuso

Chela vs Montanes 3-3 to finish after Nalbandian - Robredo

Action Jackson
02-19-2011, 02:22 AM
That makes more sense and man these courts will be so heavy.

.-Federers_Mate-.
02-19-2011, 04:14 AM

Cheers

Fran

I gave you a good rep for your very 1st post. Any reason why you left my name out of that list?

Caralimon
02-19-2011, 04:45 AM
:eek: I didn`t know the result. To be honest on these days I follow every sport but I got sick of the corrumption of football. I just follow the Premier league. :)

And you do well, Argie football league has become a joke.

Keep up the reports, they're outstanding.

hotdog
02-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Unless you have another username I can't see your reply to Fran's first post Federer's Mate:D

Iván
02-19-2011, 10:26 AM
forecast looks bad today no?

hotdog
02-19-2011, 10:53 AM
No...doesn't look too bad according to this forecast...http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/graph/ARBA0009

fran70
02-19-2011, 11:15 AM
I gave you a good rep for your very 1st post. Any reason why you left my name out of that list?

Sorry! don`t take it personal. I`d just missed it :wavey:

fran70
02-19-2011, 11:16 AM
No...doesn't look too bad according to this forecast...http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/graph/ARBA0009

It`s quite early yet but it`s cloudy and it doesn`t look too good (fingers cross not to have more rain today :worship:)

fran70
02-19-2011, 11:19 AM
That makes more sense and man these courts will be so heavy.

I agree with you. That should help more Robredo and Monaco. But these courts of the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis are really good so I don`t think they will have real troubles to be dry at 12 if there is no more rain.

Jomp1
02-19-2011, 11:31 AM
The men will be split from the boys today..

Iván
02-19-2011, 02:23 PM
Nablbandian hates rain sodden tournaments if my memory serves me right?

fran70
02-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Heavy rains fell minutes before the start. Courts are really wet now. On the best of the cases quarterfinal matches will start in two or three hours.

:secret: Jaite talked about the possible change of surface and it seems to be they are going to turn them to hard courts next year and the whole latin american swing will follow them. Spaniard and some Argentine players complained about it but everything looks forward to have a hard court Latin American swing in 2012 :bigcry:.
He alledged that Del Potro would be coming and "new faces" will be shown too and that the tendency of the tour is to have less clay court tournaments. Under my opinion that would be a huge mistake and the beggining of the end of this latin american swing.

Sonja1989
02-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks for info Fran.

nalbyfan
02-19-2011, 04:05 PM
It's raining ? Really annoying especially that BA players will go to play Acapulco next week...

Iván
02-19-2011, 04:07 PM
3 hours?????????

Mistaflava
02-19-2011, 04:08 PM
enough is enough, cancel this event and move on with better locations.

Sonja1989
02-19-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm not happy that these tournament will be hard court. :o
If anyone want to playing on hard, can going to Europe or North America. I think this clay court player need these tournaments.

emotion
02-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Build a roof

Iván
02-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Schedule changed?

almagro instead of monaco?

GlennMirnyi
02-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Stop complaining, for f***'s sake. It's rain. That happens.

Sonja1989
02-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Heavy rains fell minutes before the start. Courts are really wet now. On the best of the cases quarterfinal matches will start in two or three hours.

:secret: Jaite talked about the possible change of surface and it seems to be they are going to turn them to hard courts next year and the whole latin american swing will follow them. Spaniard and some Argentine players complained about it but everything looks forward to have a hard court Latin American swing in 2012 :bigcry:.
He alledged that Del Potro would be coming and "new faces" will be shown too and that the tendency of the tour is to have less clay court tournaments. Under my opinion that would be a huge mistake and the beggining of the end of this latin american swing.

Fran, this is sure already?

fran70
02-20-2011, 03:05 AM
Fran, this is sure already?

Hi Sonja
Jaite didn`t confirmed it but spoke in a way to make it clear that the tendency is to have a hard court tournament in Buenos Aires next year and that the rest of the tournaments of the South American swing will follow it.

fran70
02-20-2011, 03:06 AM
Day 6. A long day on courts

After several rain delays QF matches were able to start around 3PM. Due to rains on Friday QF matches were rescheduled to be played in this way: On main court Robredo vs Nalbandian, Court one Wawrinka vs Monaco and court two Almagro vs Acasuso. The end of Chela vs Montañes was programmed on main court after the match of Nalbandian – Robredo.

One colourful picture of today`s QF program was that people that had tickets for the Friday`s daily session were able to see matches on Courts two (allows 1400 spectators) and three (allows 750 spectators) while the ones that had tickets for the Friday`s night session where only able to see the matches scheduled on Central court (allows 5000 spectators). After the match of Nalbandian – Robredo finished many people went to court two as they wanted to see Wawrinka – Monaco and there started a big discussion between people of the organization and spectators that wanted to see the match of court two affirming that they paid for the Friday night session where Wawrinka – Monaco was scheduled. Of course that things doesn`t work on this way if matches had to be postponed and rescheduled and was clearly informed before the Saturday`s session started but some people didn`t understand it on that way and started a big discussion between some spectators and some body guards. Unfortunately down under here some people believe that they can do what they want and not to follow rules but that`s a whole different story that I don`t want to speak about in a tennis forum.

The clay courts of the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club are really good. And the drainage of them proved to be even better as after all the Friday rains and two hours of heavy rains on Saturday by 3 PM the courts were in good conditions to be played. Of course that they were really slow and heavy.

I saw these matches today.
Quarterfinals.
Main court: Robredo bt Nalbandian 6-4 6-4
Robredo felt more confortable on the slow and heavy conditions of the surface and never felt in real danger. During the first set he was closer to break David`s serve than the contrary, was in control of the set the whole time while David made a lot of unforced mistakes. At 4-4 Robredo broke David`s serve to close the set 6-4. On the 2nd set Nalbandian wroke Tommy`s serve to lead 3-0 but inspite of the score David showed lots of troubles to hold his serve. Tommy managed to level things at 3-3. He looked more consistent along the match and broke again to win the match 6-4. He was the best man on court and clearly dominated David.

Chela bt Montañes 6-4 3-6 6-3
The match continued with the scored levelled 3-3 in the third set with the Spaniard serving. Chela started really well attacking Albert`s serve, playing smarter with deep and angled shots to hit winners to the open side. And broke immediately, held his serve and managed to break again to win 6-3 . It was a very good victory for Juan.

Semifinals.
Main court. Almagro bt Robredo 7-5 6-1
At 7 PM started the first semifinal. Players ended their QF matches almost at the same time and had less 3 hours of resting before their SF clash. And that definitely played on the match too. Both players started keeping their serves with more troubles over Robredo`s side. He intended to play longer rallies but Almagro had other plans playing shorter points. He served really well and played an aggresive tactic focused mainly to damage Tommy with his forehand. And it worked really effectively. Robredo is really good tactically and managed to neutralize Nicolas forehands playing longer rallies and trying to move Nicolas around the court not allowing him to play those forehands confortably but that tactic worked well during certain periods of the set. Definitely Tommy was more tired and was looking forward to attemp to break Nicolas serve but the first one that had his chances to break was Nicolas who did it at 5-5 and served to win the set 7-5.
Tommy definitely felt frustrated and knew that he was too tired to keep playing long rallies. Nicolas was playing really well with his forehand and Tommy tried to shorten points but it didn`t worked out and after being broken at 2-0 he just gave up. Nicolas didn`t find any opposition and closed the match winning 6-1 that second set. Nicolas played really well today.

Chela bt Wawrinka 6-2 6-2
I`m not sure why but Stan tanked the match. He pretended to be injured but it was clear that he wasn`t. He gave no opposition and clearly made thousands of unforced mistakes.

Final preview:
I don`t think that Chela can produce any damage to this new version of Almagro who served really well and played deep and powerful forehands producing serious damages to a player like Robredo.
Chela`s tactic would be to neutralize the power of Nicolas`s forehand moving him towards his backhand to have the open space to hit winners to the open space. He should played a high percentage of first serves too. I think that Nicolas his a couple of steps above of Chela on these days and shouldn`t have many troubles to win the title.

Action Jackson
02-20-2011, 05:39 AM
Hi Sonja
Jaite didn`t confirmed it but spoke in a way to make it clear that the tendency is to have a hard court tournament in Buenos Aires next year and that the rest of the tournaments of the South American swing will follow it.

Jaite is talking out of his arse and it proved my point which I said true 2 years ago when this proposal came up. It's thinking that del Potro is bigger than the game of tennis in Argentina, that they want to change the surface just to get him to play there. They won't get any better players.

Thanks for the QF/SF reports man.

Sonja1989
02-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Hi Sonja

Thanks!
And thanks for the report too. :) :worship:

fran70
02-20-2011, 11:47 AM
Jaite is talking out of his arse and it proved my point which I said true 2 years ago when this proposal came up. It's thinking that del Potro is bigger than the game of tennis in Argentina, that they want to change the surface just to get him to play there. They won't get any better players.

Thanks for the QF/SF reports man.

I`m sure that is not only Jaite but the ATP might be behind that aswell. In a nearby future most of the tournaments are going to be hold on hard courts. They are ruining the tour as well as they did it with doubles.

hotdog
02-20-2011, 12:12 PM
This is plainly ridiculous.

fran70
02-21-2011, 01:20 AM
There was a big expectation for this final match. The Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis was crowded with 5000 souls that sold out the tickets. People were there waiting for Chela to do it pretty well but knowing in advance that Almagro was the favourite to win.
The traditional Rio de la Plata Cup that started in 1892 in this same club and that was played in the same stadium builded in 1927 was waiting for a new champion.

Today was a beautiful and shinny day after the heavy rains of last Friday and Saturday.

Final match:
Nicolas Almagro bt Juan Ignacio Chela 6-3 3-6 6-4
Almagro was the clear favourite in advance and to be honest everybody expected him to win in straight sets. Almagro started dominating with his serve and forehand and found an early break at 3-2 which was enough to close the first set 6-3.
But on the 2nd set Chela along with the support of the local crowd started to be able to neutralize Almagro`s forehand moving him around the court, changing the rythms of the ball, bouncing them in long balls to his backhand and short bounces to his forehand and then low bounces to his backhand again forbidding Almagro to play comfortable. And every time he had a chance he hitted good backhands down the line. Crowd started to play in the game and Almagro got mad at 3-4 , Chela took advantage of that situation, broke to lead 3-5 and serve to win the 2nd set 6-3.
The Spaniard calmed down his nerves in the 3rd set. He started to dictate the game again with his first serve and deep forehand over Chela`s backhand moving the Argentine around the court. Almagro was able to take an early break to lead 3-1, Chela recovered to tie the game 3-3 with the crowd clearly supporting him to the limits of what could had been understood as unsportmanship. But Almagro held nerves breaking Chela and keeping his serve 5-3 which was enough at 5-4 to serve for the match and win his 2nd title of the year in a row.

It was a well deserved title. The key moment of the week was that victory against Robredo and today keeping his cold feet when the crowd was clearly with Chela. Congrats for the Spaniard for his 9th ATP title and the first time in Buenos Aires in his fifth appearance here.

My last though is that this Latin American Swing shouldn`t be touched. It`s perfect like it is. Not only the time of the year when it is played (summer down under here) but the surface shouldn`t be removed either. I rather see year after year players like the Spanish Armada, the devalued Argentine legion, Italians like Fognini and Starace and other South American players that come here and give their best effort than overrated players. Finally, if the organization of Acapulco is such so interested on moving the surface to hard court they should do it but another tournament should be added to the South American Swing replacing them (read Sao Paulo or Rio de Janeiro for instance) keeping the clay surface and probably a tournament with such big tradition like the Buenos Aires one could be increased to an ATP 500.

This was the last report. I hope that you had enjoyed it,

Cheers

Fran

PS. I will be adding pics and videos that I recorded this week on my facebook. If you would like to see some pics and videos of this tournament and former ones of other tournaments feel free to contact me to my facebook: traveller0023@live.com

Sonja1989
02-21-2011, 01:26 AM
Yay, Dear Fran,
I won't forget for you this week. You worked much with the reports. many thanks!!! :hug: :worship:

abraxas21
02-21-2011, 04:18 AM
thanks for all the reports

good work

Action Jackson
02-21-2011, 04:22 AM
Great reports, well written and it's always better from a fans perspective.

Netin!
02-21-2011, 04:38 AM
Did you see the doubles final? If saw, speak something about it. Thanks!

magic999
02-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the reports, Fran. Enjoyed it.

Certinfy
02-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Nice work :)