Liam Broady: Great Britian's next hope? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Liam Broady: Great Britian's next hope?

Johnny Groove
02-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Since Murray sucks.

Liam Broady is a 17 year old who just qualified and made a SF of a future. He is ranked 978 in the world and will jump up w/ his effort this week.

I think he is destined to be a multi slam winner the British media will drool over for years to come. As for the Murray guy? Maybe he'll scrape 1 slam with a clown draw.

http://www.southportreporter.com/387/liam%20broady%20%2810%29.jpg

Action Jackson
02-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Liam Brady was one of the best ever Irish footballers.

Nadull_tard
02-13-2011, 04:23 PM
You can't be worse than Murray in slam finals, so why not?

Chiakifug
02-13-2011, 04:23 PM
He has as many slams as Murray right now so its entirely possible.

Certinfy
02-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Maybe :)

DanaKz
02-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Oh no... :bolt: Please leave this boy alone! He is sweet kid with game, don't turn it to "another big british hope", let him grow up without weight of whole nation on his shoulders!

DanaKz
02-13-2011, 04:28 PM
BTW George Morgan and Oliver Golding are not worse than Liam

finishingmove
02-13-2011, 05:07 PM
He should switch country ASAP.

Nole fan
02-13-2011, 05:35 PM
You're called Johnny Groove now? :lol:

What is it with this name changing? following the steps of Planet Junk / Storm Lee / Terra Massive?

rocketassist
02-13-2011, 05:38 PM
I would love a lad from the North with proper working class roots to win a GS.

Johnny Groove
02-13-2011, 05:38 PM
You're called Johnny Groove now? :lol:

What is it with this name changing? following the steps of Planet Junk / Storm Lee / Terra Massive?

He is the one following my steps.

Pipsy
02-13-2011, 05:48 PM
BTW George Morgan and Oliver Golding are not worse than Liam

This. I think George Morgan is perhaps the most promising...

ApproachShot
02-13-2011, 06:10 PM
This. I think George Morgan is perhaps the most promising...

We'll see. Broady is a whole year younger than Morgan. I'm also following Oliver Golding's progression with interest. I doubt they will make it to Murray's level but at least I can hope they will achieve more than Ward and Boggo.

To be honest I think the future talent in British tennis lies more on the girls' side. I wish them all the best of luck though.

San Rosso
02-13-2011, 06:15 PM
If people and media start giving him the label of the next GB Slam winner then he'll probably end up like Murray, slamless. He should be left alone and we'll see what happens.

Sapeod
02-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Johnny Groove??? :haha: :haha: :haha:
Murray sucks?? So, 3 slam finals, $15 million and 6 masters titles sucks? Wrong...

This kid is good, he could be the next big British player, but only time will tell.
At 18, Murray was already in the top 100 with a 3rd round at a slam.
Let's see what Broady can do. I hope he does well.

Mungo
02-13-2011, 06:31 PM
He won't win less Slams than Mugray, that's for sure.

Sapeod
02-13-2011, 06:32 PM
So, what you're saying is that Broady will win multiple slams? Great.

Mungo
02-13-2011, 06:35 PM

Quoting myself given Terra Massive's reading comprehension problems.

Start da Game
02-13-2011, 07:41 PM
there's something about britain that many of their sportsmen choke a lot, they just don't seem to have the capacity to handle big time nerves.......i am speaking purely from the sports perspective, no need to take this as some nation bashing stuff.......henman as great a grass player he was at wimbledon, the moment he saw pete he knew he was gone.......even in cricket, historically there are several incidents where england couldn't handle pressure and lost......we know about their underperforming football team too.......

Horatio Caine
02-13-2011, 07:44 PM
We'll see. Broady is a whole year younger than Morgan. I'm also following Oliver Golding's progression with interest. I doubt they will make it to Murray's level but at least I can hope they will achieve more than Ward and Boggo.

To be honest I think the future talent in British tennis lies more on the girls' side. I wish them all the best of luck though.

I'm not sure about Golding tbh...he might just become another good doubles player.

There are a lot of good words spoken about Morgan, and it sounds like he has an excellent attitude towards the game. Broady also sounds promising.

I agree with you...the girls' future looks very promising. If we could just get the likes of Broady, Morgan and Golding into the top 225 we'll be doing very well on the mens' side.

At the moment the state of mens tennis is absolutely shocking, and it makes you realise how lucky we were to have Parmar, Lee, Delgado, Bogdanovic, Wilkinson and Richardson regularly playing challengers. :o

I'm not sure what to make of Ward. Part of me believes that he has actually overachieved, but the other part is disappointed that he hasn't been able to build on some good opportunities (e.g. practices with Nadal). The fact that he has failed to do that isn't a good sign as to his future prospects, and he is already off to a slow start this season.

Sombrerero loco
02-13-2011, 10:05 PM
liam broady is quite good, but what about golding?

DirtyDirty
02-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Liam Brady was one of the best ever Irish footballers.

I did a double take as well. Arsenal legend.

Allez
02-13-2011, 10:12 PM
It's way too early to start speculating on Liam's GS prospects. Don't give the media something to write crap about.

DrJules
02-13-2011, 10:17 PM
there's something about britain that many of their sportsmen choke a lot, they just don't seem to have the capacity to handle big time nerves.......i am speaking purely from the sports perspective, no need to take this as some nation bashing stuff.......henman as great a grass player he was at wimbledon, the moment he saw pete he knew he was gone.......even in cricket, historically there are several incidents where england couldn't handle pressure and lost......we know about their underperforming football team too.......

Compared to India Britain is a centre of sporting excellence in performance and achievement.

Sapeod
02-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Quoting myself given Terra Massive's reading comprehension problems.
Maybe you don't get me.

Murray will win multiple slams. You said Broady won't win less slams than Murray, indicating that he will also win multiple slams.
Got it?
And you say I have reading comprehension problems, you just didn't understand what I meant :lol:

syc23
02-13-2011, 10:29 PM
I'm willing to bet Golding and Brody would even struggle to win 1 Master shield, never mind 6 Murray has already won and 3 slam finals. It's a bit crazy to start talking about their slam prospects if they both haven't even got beyond the 2nd round of a major.

GlennMirnyi
02-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Maybe you don't get me.

Murray will win multiple slams. You said Broady won't win less slams than Murray, indicating that he will also win multiple slams.
Got it?
And you say I have reading comprehension problems, you just didn't understand what I meant :lol:

Should we keep instigating your wishful thinking? :lol:

Sapeod
02-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Should we keep instigating your wishful thinking? :lol:
It's not wishful thinking.
Murray WILL win mutliple slams.
He's talented, he has the potential and he will reach it and win many.
This year's Australian Open was a blip, he played badly.
Many more chanes though and he will take many.

BlueSoul Formula
02-14-2011, 01:22 AM

I would not be so sure. Murray no doubt is one of the generation's greatest talents, but there are massive(maybe this is why your username is like it is, since you are obviously a big Murray fan) questions regarding his mental will to win. His body language on court is very much like a person who suffers from a lack of motivation. It would eb sad if this is the reason he loses when he makes finals, but it may be so. Some people somply do not want to succeed or at least not be the greatest. Their very personality is at odds with the concept. I get the feeling that is Murray in a nutshell.

Mungo
02-14-2011, 01:58 AM
Maybe you don't get me.

Got it?

I did understand you but you replied my post with an ironic question implying exactly the opposite of what I meant ;)

v-money
02-14-2011, 02:26 AM

Makes sense to me. If he said he'll win more slams than Murry, that would mean he would win 1+ slam(s), which is quite a prediction considering this guy is some futures player right now. Saying he won't win less slams than Murray just means that it's impossible to win a negative number of slams.;)

GlennMirnyi
02-14-2011, 02:27 AM

Rios, Haas and Malisse had way more talent than Mugray and never won a GS. Safin, Rafter as well, only won 2.

You're just foolishly optimistic.

He played badly in his 3 GS finals. He sure emits a loooong blip. :lol:

Priam
02-14-2011, 02:41 AM
I can see it now. Hope this poor guy isn't overhyped by the British media and crumbles under the weight of expectation.

Corey Feldman
02-14-2011, 03:10 AM
Since Murray sucks.

Liam Broady is a 17 year old who just qualified and made a SF of a future. He is ranked 978 in the world and will jump up w/ his effort this week.

I think he is destined to be a multi slam winner the British media will drool over for years to come. As for the Murray guy? Maybe he'll scrape 1 slam with a clown draw.

http://www.southportreporter.com/387/liam%20broady%20%2810%29.jpggot news for you

British media couldnt give a shit about tennis, no matter who comes along - even if they did win a GS

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
02-14-2011, 07:34 AM
got news for you

British media couldnt give a shit about tennis, no matter who comes along - even if they did win a GS

yeah its more of a middle-upper class sport- still perceived as a sport for homosexuals or women or middle classes (which isn't mutually exclusive)

and the country will always be obsessed with football- which i sorta had a thing for as a kid but now i cant stand football anymore- its just so dull and boring

the great myth about the english media (of course) is that its a free press

that, of course is bullshit- the english media is one of the most racist, hateful, spitefull, rude, ignorant, intolerant self loving self glorifying pieces of shit ever created

its not a joke when its said "andy murray is british until he loses, and then he's scottish"

the nation, is very much like, ricky gervais
an odd, funny sense of humor masking deep seated insecurites that it takes out by being cruel and rude behind peoples backs.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
02-14-2011, 07:40 AM
speaking of the english media

100 years ago the jewish community was the target

then 50 years ago it was the black community

30 years ago the irish community

currently the muslim and eastern european community migrant community gets so much hate, spread from this gutter trash---- its pathetic really

i cant believe anyone ever thought the english were a tolerent nation- they're not, they just dont have the balls to speak their intolerent prejudices in public- being able to hide your hatred isn't the same as tolerating another point of view

i suppose if i respect the americans for one thing its that they have testicular fortitude

scoobs
02-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Great Britain overall is a tolerant nation though not as much as it likes to pride itself on - its gutter press media is another matter altogether - most of that isn't even owned by the English, let's not forget - and let's not get the two confused as being the same thing.

MARTINBALDRIDGE
02-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Give the guy a break, he's done nothing in the professional game yet and by his age Murray was ranked world No.411.

The thing is, over here in Britain everyone's so desperate for the next Murray and Henman. I think George Morgan, who won the Orange Bowl in December and was SF at the Aussie juniors is as good, if not a better bet for success, and it's good to see Heather Watson doing well too.

Happy Valentine's Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4qklUCixAA&sns=em

THE TENNIS GUY

:wavey::worship::wavey:

Sombrerero loco
02-14-2011, 09:50 AM
still rely on joshua milton :)

duong
02-14-2011, 09:59 AM
GB has many promising male youngsters (I don't know about the ladies :lol: ), far better than what they have ever had, and one of the very best nations with Australia (-although speaking of "nations" is maybe not so relevant as many good youngsters come from the rather small countries of Central and Eastern Europe)

but still very young to say.

There are also Kyle Edmund and Luke Bambridge who were born in 1995.

As to know which one of those may be as successful as Murray (which would already be great), it's very tough to say.

And they may be ready to be a good partner in Davis Cup only when Murray is an old player :lol:

Topspindoctor
02-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Britain should really focus their attention on Laura Robson - the only tennis player they have with talent. Mugray turned out to be a failure on slam stage and this kid probably won't do much better either.

MARTINBALDRIDGE
02-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Britain should really focus their attention on Laura Robson - the only tennis player they have with talent. Mugray turned out to be a failure on slam stage and this kid probably won't do much better either.

TOPSPIN DOCTOR

I love your style and I'm almost as large as you!

The thing is though, Laura Robson's possibly gone as far as she can based on her lack of athleticism.She's a great ball striker but simply can't move well enough to defend and keep herself in the point.

Those other guys like Bambridge and Edmund have potential as has Oliver Golding - turning potential into results though is something that we in Britainn hae been unable to do period...

You're right about Murray - he's disappointed us now 3 times in Grand Slam finals - but it's better for him to have gotten there and lost, than to have never gotten there at all. (I'm sure I stole that from somewhere!)

Happy Valentine's Day

THE TENNIS GUY

:wavey::wavey:

Blackbriar
02-14-2011, 01:19 PM
I hope his mother won't stalk him everywhere. That's part of Murray's failure at high level. I think Andy could still be in top 10 by year-end, but it is far too be sure.

paseo
02-14-2011, 01:29 PM
For sure.

Start da Game
02-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Compared to India Britain is a centre of sporting excellence in performance and achievement.

the comparison is wrong.......compare the encouragement and the funds that flow into various sports in both countries, you will get the actual picture.......

Sapeod
02-15-2011, 05:39 PM
the comparison is wrong.......compare the encouragement and the funds that flow into various sports in both countries, you will get the actual picture.......
In sport, Great Britain >>>>> India, no discussion.

Start da Game
02-15-2011, 05:43 PM
In sport, Great Britain >>>>> India, no discussion.

says ultra miniscule.......

scoobs
02-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Laura Robson is a good shotmaker but her movement sucks, she really needs to get some movement drills going as part of her training routine, she makes Davenport look nippy on her feet at times. I think Heather Watson might have a better career than Laura.

Murray has been crap in 3 slam finals but that doesn't invalidate the fact that he got there. On results alone he is clearly the fourth best active player out there right now, and that's still better than a kick in the nuts from a disgruntled camel. He may win slams, he may not, but he's still had a career 95% or more of the tour players past and present would envy.

As for our junior boys, there's been generation after generation of hype - going all the way back to guys like Petchey, Bailey, MacClagan, Sapsford, Martin Lee, Jamie Delgado, Arvind Parmar, Boggo, Bloomers, Ward and so on right through to the new lot. Every couple of years we're told there's a very talented crop of juniors who in the next couple of years will be ready to break through...only they never really do...maybe this lot will be different but I'm not holding my breath.

Sapeod
02-15-2011, 06:08 PM
says ultra miniscule.......
Lolwut?

Blackbriar
02-15-2011, 06:09 PM
So, what you're saying is that Broady will win multiple slams? Great.

less than zero is quite difficult.

Sapeod
02-15-2011, 06:16 PM
less than zero is quite difficult.
Murray won't win zero slams, though....

Roger the Dodger
02-15-2011, 06:50 PM
So are we trying to say that Murray was just a passing phase in the world of tennis?

duong
02-15-2011, 06:54 PM
As for our junior boys, there's been generation after generation of hype - going all the way back to guys like Petchey, Bailey, MacClagan, Sapsford, Martin Lee, Jamie Delgado, Arvind Parmar, Boggo, Bloomers, Ward and so on right through to the new lot. Every couple of years we're told there's a very talented crop of juniors who in the next couple of years will be ready to break through...only they never really do...maybe this lot will be different but I'm not holding my breath.

As far as I know, these ones have never been among the best youngsters of their generation : maybe they were presented like that in British media because "nature doesn't like emptiness" but they were not, contrary to those we've spoken about here.

Sapeod
02-15-2011, 06:56 PM
So are we trying to say that Murray was just a passing phase in the world of tennis?
He won't last forever, he will be retired in 10 years....but until then, you can enjoy him and him winning title after title....

Roger the Dodger
02-15-2011, 07:21 PM
He won't last forever, he will be retired in 10 years....but until then, you can enjoy him and him reaching final after final....

:yeah:

MARTINBALDRIDGE
02-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Some great postsbon here from the Brits - I'm not sure that our press is any worse than anywhere else though.

The major objective for any newspaper is to sell as many as they can. Posting ridiculous headlines and talking rubbish surely can't be confined to just the British press.

What gets me though I must admit is the attention given to Henman and then Murray at Wimbledon - totally pathetic and over the top.

Its funny that I'm typing into a forum in the US about British players and tennis. As far as i know there's no such platform to air views in the homeland - that's because not many people in Britain actually give a monkeys about the sport.

DrJules
02-15-2011, 10:48 PM
Simon Reed seems to be promoting a George Morgan:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis/simon-reed/article/5524/

Moving on to another young star now - Britain's prodigious talent, George Morgan.

The Englishman is another who possesses a quite monstrous first serve, the like of which prompts gasps from spectators around the junior circuit.

Morgan has absolutely everything going for him: a full repertoire of powerful groundstrokes and an extraordinarily big game.

I don't wish to put excessive pressure on the 18-year-old, but what you can say for sure is that he is going to make some waves in the men's game.

Morgan is an enormously talented player who holds nothing back when pounding fierce blows from the back of the court, and his power is quite startling for a man his age.

It is simply hoped that the Brit can fulfil his talent, cope with the pressure at Wimbledon, and finally shoulder some of the immense media scrutiny centred solely on Andy Murray right now.

MARTINBALDRIDGE
02-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Couldn't agree with you more.

The Tennis Guy