Rotterdam F: Soderling def Tsonga (6-3, 3-6, 6-3) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rotterdam F: Soderling def Tsonga (6-3, 3-6, 6-3)

jonathancrane
02-13-2011, 02:41 PM
I swear I saw Robin volleying good on this match

Pistolesi > Norman?
j/k

Action Jackson
02-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Toad loving the indoor stuff as per usual.

GHETTOTENNIS
02-13-2011, 02:42 PM
lol at soderling winning while playing like shit for the most of the tournament

emotion
02-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Number four. Two 500s, a 1000, 2 GS finals

And what do you want to bet still a fluke?

TopSpin08
02-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Serves dictate the match. After the first set Tsonga starts to serve amazing. Söderling could'nt win barely a point when he returns. In the first he won most of the rallies against Tsonga but then there were only few rallies. A bad service game and the second set was lost. In set 3 both serves very strong, you could have the feeling Isner plays against Karlovic. But then there was a quick end, Tsonga lost his momentum and his serve, and Söderling could break and win the title.

Rafa#Uno:-)
02-13-2011, 02:45 PM
my jinx were working godd Sod and your volley is improving
nice fact....

Chiakifug
02-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Real #4 :bowdown:

Yves.
02-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Good for Soderling! Maintains his No. 4 position.

Voo de Mar
02-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Tsonga was serving exceptionally well through a set and a half and suddenly collapsed in the 8th game of the 3rd set when everyone was prepared for the final tie-break :o

Nole Rules
02-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Real #4 :bowdown:

like everyone cares.:rolleyes:

Sapeod
02-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Soderling isn't the real #4. The real #4 will get his ranking back after spring.

That said, Soderling is a worthy top 5 player and a very, very good player. He won this title playing nowhere near his best and with Murray not caring about the tournament that much, there was no one to stop him winning.

Jomp1
02-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Tought match to play for both, the breaks were mostly pure giveaways. In between a whole lot of serving. Volleys really worked for Robin though, that's a positive. Keep that ranking!

Nole Rules
02-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Soderling and Murray aren't on the same level.Murray is the 4th best player in this era so far not Soderling.

henke007
02-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Awesome!!

Robin:worship::cool:

Sonja1989
02-13-2011, 02:55 PM
YEAH, Robin! :banana:

Tennisfan-Mtl
02-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Robin :)

Been a frustrated fan for so long but Robin's play and attitude in the last 2-3 years have been rewarding :) Getting mentally tougher each year.

Topspindoctor
Well done Soderking :bowdown:

Defended the title in style and kept Mugray where he belongs: outside of the big 4.

Sapeod
Soderling and Murray aren't on the same level.Murray is the 4th best player in this era so far not Soderling.
Thank you, some sense in this thread.

Murray >>>>>>>>>> Soderling and it's not close.

That said, Soderling is easily the 5th best player this era. Top 5 >>>>> Ferrer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everyone else atm.

Chiakifug
02-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Real #4 :bowdown::inlove:

Certinfy
02-13-2011, 02:57 PM
ROBIN!!!! :woohoo: :bounce: Finally a title defended :worship:

Sad about Jo though :bigcry: No doubt he'll win a title this year though :D

ImmzB
02-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Tsonga! :sad: :(

Slow Show
02-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Hey, you know who WASN'T in this final? Andy Murray wasn't. Do I care how "interested" he was? No, I do not.

Because the two guys who bothered to show up thoroughly deserved to be in the final having played the best matches of the week, entertaining the audience and giving it their all and the better player won.

Congratulations to both and I hope Jo can get past these erratic ups and downs that cost him matches. He's one of my favorites on the tour, but he often beats himself. That said, I'm glad he got at least one set off an opponent that can read his serve a little too well.

Congratulations to Robin Soderling, the first player to defend a title in '11, first player to win 2 titles this year and his first back-to-back tournament win. And we're only six weeks into 2011. Great stuff from him in the volleying department too, hopefully it encourages him to do it more often.

superganon
02-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Soderling isn't the real #4. The real #4 will get his ranking back after spring.

That said, Soderling is a worthy top 5 player and a very, very good player. He won this title playing nowhere near his best and with Murray not caring about the tournament that much, there was no one to stop him winning.

as some guys said. sod didnt played at his best under the wgole tournament, but still he manages to win a 500. thats some good consistency. big win aswell that he for the first time defending a title. will make a huge confidence to the mini slams in IW and miami. murray should be impressed by soderling while he has to eat dirt wasting a week away in rotterdam.

cristalmeister
02-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Im srsly glad to see Robin volleying this good. :yeah:

Dini
02-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Söderling winning multiple titles like in Rotterdam, reaching WTF on his own merit, getting a Masters shield under his belt and getting to two finals beating the world number 1 both times is exactly the reason why he isn't a fluke. He's added consistency, patience and in return he has managed to tough out matches that he would have most likely lost pre-2009, as in the Kohlschreiber match in this tournament, for example. Whether he is Grandslam winning material is open to skepticism but this talk about fluke is nothing more than being quick to judge after a bad result and/or hating. Or trolling.

Congrats Robin. Also, good to see Tsonga winning some important matches this week to find his feet after the injury layoff last year. Good signs despite the loss today.

Mungo
02-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Indoor tennis is boring as hell. Serve, serve, serve. Only when someone misses 1st serves and makes a few unforced errors in a row there's a break that decides the set. Give me south american clay any day.

DanaKz
02-13-2011, 03:17 PM
I hate when my two favourite players play vs each other, it's always make me frustrated and unhappy. Robin won and that's great but Jo lost...

Allez
02-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Too good from Soderling. Lived up to his top billing :yeah:

Nidhogg
02-13-2011, 03:25 PM
First title defended, impressive mentality throughout the week, and a good win today. Robin keeps up his great start to the year. I hope there's no biggie with his leg, as he seemed to feel something abut it late in yesterday's match. He might wanna play it safe in Marseille.

Scary serving from Jo for good parts of the match, just like yesterday. He seems to steady himself and get into form now after his shaky start to the year.

RoddickFan.
02-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Indoor tennis is boring as hell. Serve, serve, serve. Only when someone misses 1st serves and makes a few unforced errors in a row there's a break that decides the set. Give me south american clay any day.

You're just bitter because Nadull sucks indoors:o

Anyway luckily Soderling wins, he stops Mugray from returning to the top 4:bowdown:

ossie
02-13-2011, 03:32 PM
its especially hideous when the servebots cant even return properly.

jonathancrane
02-13-2011, 03:38 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/3a/fullj.df95b87ab661a0f7c92fabbb643a642e/df95b87ab661a0f7c92fabbb643a642e-getty-tennis-atp-ned.jpg

DanaKz
02-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Oh please! Can we speak about SoderKing without bringing Murraythings to here? I am tired of this "real #4" shit already...

Topspindoctor
02-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Why did this kid bring Mugray into Soderling topic? In any case, the pusher isn't gonna defend his fluke RG QF and will fail clay season as usual, so safe to say, Soderking will stay @ #4 for a while yet.

DanaKz
02-13-2011, 03:42 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/3a/fullj.df95b87ab661a0f7c92fabbb643a642e/df95b87ab661a0f7c92fabbb643a642e-getty-tennis-atp-ned.jpg

Presenter's pose so remind me Lenin's statues in soviet cities... "There is our bright future on horizon" Robin and Jo: "Where?"

Nidhogg
02-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Seems like tard wars are inevitable whereever you go here. Either way Murray has more than a great shot to advance past Söderling as IW and Miami rolls on where Robin defends a combined 720 points, and then another 300 at Barcelona.

Voo de Mar
02-13-2011, 03:53 PM
The discussion is so serious as if No. 4 and 5 in the world were so important like No. 1 & 2 :lol:

HarryMan
02-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Good stuff from Soderling, he was very solid. Good week for Tsonga as well.

ZaZoo)
02-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Good from Sod, serving well indoors.

GlennMirnyi
02-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Real #4 = Robin Soderling.

Corey Feldman
02-13-2011, 04:05 PM
congrats Carl

indoor monster

Presenter's pose so remind me Lenin's statues in soviet cities... "There is our bright future on horizon" Robin and Jo: "Where?"You will find that is 1996 Wimbledon Champion Richard Krajicek, please show more respect than calling him "presenter"

Chiakifug
02-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Real #4 :inlove:

tealeaves
02-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Robin :inlove:
But gutted for Kohli

DanaKz
02-13-2011, 04:12 PM
congrats Carl

You will find that is 1996 Wimbledon Champion Richard Krajicek, please show more respect than calling him "presenter"
Sorry, I know it's Krajicek but first thing I thought when I saw this photo was "OMG Lenin!"
http://morgulis.tv/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/lenin_pam.jpg

tennishero
02-13-2011, 04:29 PM
lol at soderling winning while playing like shit for the most of the tournament

thats how he always plays :rolleyes:

Orka_n
02-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Dana :lol: Great stuff. :yeah:

Planet Daniel is whining about Murray in this thread, expected. But putting that aside... Soderling has been impressive this week, especially mentally. Man does he love it indoors. :hearts: Robin has had a terrific start to 2011, let's hope he continues like this. :)

Guille.
02-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Fuck yes:woohoo:

Elbarto
02-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Soderking :hatoff:

Slow Show
02-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Soderling has got to be the No. 1 Kicker of French Ass on tour lately. He has now won 13 of his last 14 matches against French players. He's got Mahut, Llodra/Benneteau in his quarter next week in Marseille.

tangerine_dream
02-13-2011, 04:53 PM
The Tsonga era is over.

Orka_n
02-13-2011, 05:19 PM
The Tsonga era is over.The Tsonga era never even started :lol: Poor guy hasn't won a title in over 15 months. He fought well this week though.

San Rosso
02-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Krajicek said he's going to slow down the court next year, probably by using different balls, adding something to the paint and painting horizontal instead of vertical. Because he wanted a tournament which can have a winner with different playing styles, which I think is weird because we have so many slowed down courts nowadays. It was also better for the audience he said.

jonathancrane
02-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Krajicek said he's going to slow down the court next year, probably by using different balls, adding something to the paint and painting horizontal instead of vertical. Because he wanted a tournament which can have a winner with different playing styles, which I think is weird because we have so many slowed down courts nowadays. It was also better for the audience he said.

Why don't use clay, Richard?
Clown

Ouragan
02-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Tsonga's serve was astonishing for a set and a half. Astonishing. And then, after going 0:15 the fool got nervous, and lost

DanaKz
02-13-2011, 05:39 PM

http://yoursmileys.ru/tsmile/disgust/t9404.gif

Shirogane
02-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Krajicek said he's going to slow down the court next year, probably by using different balls, adding something to the paint and painting horizontal instead of vertical.
Arg, I like my indoors fast and low bouncing. :( I guess Richard has to do what is best for his tournament though.

Because he wanted a tournament which can have a winner with different playing styles, which I think is weird because we have so many slowed down courts nowadays. It was also better for the audience he said.
Also weird, because isn't it already the case?

rocketassist
02-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Two great players. shame one had to lose.

Why are Murray and Soderling fans arguing?

Elbarto
02-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Murray fans are jealous of Soderling's success :D

rocketassist
02-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Murray fans are jealous of Soderling's success :D

Oh obv.

Both guys are great for the game and both deserve to win a major, unfortunately in tennis and on MTF it's the heels and the heel fanbases who always end up celebrating.

Henry Chinaski
02-13-2011, 06:10 PM

SOMEONE MAKE IT STOP

Guy had three of the top 5 on the entry list? What the fuck is wrong with these people?

Different styles????

Yazoo.C
02-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Congrats Robin :yeah:

*Jean*
02-13-2011, 07:02 PM
well done Robin :yeah:

straitup
02-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Soderling :worship: Rolling through, he's looking good

philosophicalarf
02-13-2011, 07:52 PM
The discussion is so serious as if No. 4 and 5 in the world were so important like No. 1 & 2 :lol:

The amusing thing is Murray himself clearly doesn't give a monkeys - two years in a row he played Hopman when a round or two in Brisbane would have retaken number4 for the Aus seedings.

Anyway, good stuff from Sod. Several matches in a row now he's had to be very patient and wait for a chance, and when it came, he was deadly sharp.

GlennMirnyi
02-13-2011, 08:34 PM
SOMEONE MAKE IT STOP

Guy had three of the top 5 on the entry list? What the fuck is wrong with these people?

Different styles????

Just pathetic.

This unscrupulous leech is just turning his back to fast court players, something he once was himself.

All because of money.

fran70
02-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Another good victory for Soderling. Indoor and fast hard surface are a perfect combination for him. Congrats for him for his 2nd victory of the year of three tournaments played :hatoff:

Inspite of the defeat it was a good week for Tsonga, Ljubo and Troicki aswell :yeah:

FlameOn
02-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Well done Robin!! :rocker: That's 13-1 this year I believe.

Sunset of Age
02-14-2011, 12:42 AM
Fantastic job, Robin, well-deserved victory, and congrats for defending both your tournament's title and securing the #4 ATP ranking! :yeah:
And :hug:s to Tsonga too, for making the finals and playing very well all throughout the tournament. Just one lousy serve game actually sealed the deal in this serve-dominated match, but well, that's how it goes...

I didn't hear him say this, as as usual, Dutch TV quitted broadcasting as soon as the last ball got hit, so I don't know whether these words of him have been twisted or not.
Well, that's to say, at least they did show the final match, which is already quite as much as you can wish for in my country. Never mind it being the ONLY proper tennis tournament around over here, sucky football and speed skating is of course a lot more important. :rolleyes:

As for Krajicek, I sometimes wonder if he's already sold his grandmother by now. The guy seems to do anything to gain more $$$$$ and attention, whatever the cause. Ready to kill off one of the very last remaining fast-HC tournaments for this cause, even. Jeebus, Richard, why not just organize an exho between tho$e player$ whose a$$es you seem to like ki$$ing all the time?
(yeah I very much remember his barely hidden disgust of being forced to put up the names of Llodra and Youzhny (kudos to both these players once again, as they were the ones responsible for the most entertaining matches this year in Rotterdam, once again) as being victorious up on the boardings at Ahoy... :()
CLOWN, indeed. Where's that BARF-smiley when you really need it. :o

Blackbriar
02-14-2011, 11:20 AM
The amusing thing is Murray himself clearly doesn't give a monkeys - two years in a row he played Hopman when a round or two in Brisbane would have retaken number4 for the Aus seedings.

It is very important to be 4 and not 5 for Grand slam's draws. And Soda is the real n°4 now. 2 titles already this year, and showing much more consistency than Murray.

Back to topic, I have just watched the draw and realized that Tsonga had a W/O to the semis. Even with one match less, he can't do it. And still no top 10 victory since AO 2010, 13 months ago. And 15 months since his last title. No question?

Everko
02-14-2011, 05:36 PM
All hail. he can win a 500

Orka_n
02-14-2011, 05:42 PM
All hail. he can win a 500http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae311/Orka_n/Everkofail.jpg?t=1297705285

Leave MTF already like you promised you absolute clown.

Everko
02-14-2011, 05:44 PM
http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae311/Orka_n/Everkofail.jpg?t=1297705285

Leave MTF already like you promised you absolute clown.

suck the venom out that post and address my point. Winning a 500 is not that impressive. Sure he won, but peopel in this thread are acting as if he won a slam.

Orka_n
02-14-2011, 05:47 PM
The question is why you even entered this thread in the first place. Because it sure wasn't to discuss the match or congratulate Soderling on the victory. You came here to troll and only to troll. Now quit the arrogant crap talk and get out of here.

Jomp1
02-14-2011, 07:00 PM

Anyway, good stuff from Sod. Several matches in a row now he's had to be very patient and wait for a chance, and when it came, he was deadly sharp.

I think the fans actually care more than the players themselves. If you only think about your ranking your tennis will suffer. But they do want to be top4 for Slams I'm sure.

On the other hand, Robin needs to worry about winning titles more than anything. He has far too few to his name, of course he has lost 10 finals aswell but still. Two this year already is a good step, hopefully double digits at the year's end.

Raiden
02-16-2011, 10:27 AM
http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae311/Orka_n/Everkofail.jpg?t=1297705285

Leave MTF already like you promised you absolute clown.:haha:

That's right Everko, a man's word is a man's word. A promise equals promise. An honor = honor (if you're a real Algerian you would know and have that).

So save your honor, BE A MAN and gtf outta here.