Caloundra (Challenger) F: Zemlja d. Tomic 7-6(4) 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Caloundra (Challenger) F: Zemlja d. Tomic 7-6(4) 6-3

n8
02-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Zemlja's long Australian stay (played Brisbane, Sydeny, Australian Open qualifiers and then two Aussie Challengers) paid dividends in the end.

Tomic misses out on his third Challenger title. He still had a good fortnight, also making the semis in last week's Challenger in Bernie.

Australia had two Challengers this year, both worth 80 points to the winner and both straight after the Australian Open. I don't understand why more non-Aussies didn't stick around after the Australian Open and get some relatively easy points? The draw comprises of about half Aussies, most of which have inflated rankings anyway (no offence intended) from playing Aussie events with relatively weak fields.

TennisOnWood
02-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Shame Bernard couldn't produce his 3rd Challenger title :(

Do you now where he will play next?

Action Jackson
02-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Tomic is going to the US for ages, playing Delray, Dallas and the 2 TMS events.

Excellent week for Zemlja, he was aggressive and once he got through the tiebreaker, he was able to expose Tomic's movement and silenced the pensioners in the crowd.

TennisOnWood
02-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Tomic is going to the US for ages, playing Delray, Dallas and the 2 TMS events.

Excellent week for Zemlja, he was aggressive and once he got through the tiebreaker, he was able to expose Tomic's movement and silenced the pensioners in the crowd.

He is not on the list for Delray Beach or Dallas but hope he will be there

Action Jackson
02-13-2011, 10:16 AM
He is not on the list for Delray Beach or Dallas but hope he will be there

He said he will be there, just like he said he was playing Burnie and wasn't on the list.

au_sports_opinion
02-13-2011, 10:54 AM
I don't understand why more non-Aussies didn't stick around after the Australian Open and get some relatively easy points?

they should probably have the first of the two challengers in the second week of ao.

n8
02-13-2011, 11:12 AM
they should probably have the first of the two challengers in the second week of ao.

I agree.

Yazoo.C
02-13-2011, 06:47 PM
Tomic :hug:

KaiserT
02-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Zemlja even managed to fit in a holiday to Hawaii in between his aussie tournaments, productive month and a bit :lol:

Horatio Caine
02-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Zemlja even managed to fit in a holiday to Hawaii in between his aussie tournaments, productive month and a bit :lol:

He could teach some of the more established pros a lession or two about efficient scheduling. :lol:

Saw Zemlja at Wimbledon two years ago and he looked like he had a bit of game. I'm guessing that this win will promote him quite a few places back up the rankings, although really he should be looking to enter at least the very bottom end of the top 100 imo.

GlennMirnyi
02-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Zemlja got lucky the Gooch had a problem with his Gooch's tendon.

Nathaliia
02-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Agreed. Or even one more in the first one, for all the quallie losers. Surely the draw would be stronger than in Johannesburg.

fran70
02-13-2011, 09:49 PM
It was a good week for Tomic inspite of the defeat. He earned some good points in these series of tournaments played in Brisbane, Sydney, AO, Burnie and Caloundra.

I reckon that would be not a bad idea for him to spend some time in US and Canada playing Challenger and quallies on some ATP.

Good victory for Zemlja :wavey:

Sombrerero loco
02-13-2011, 10:04 PM
yeah, nice victory for zemlja but i still think tomic has the talent to be so so over him.so good luck bernie =)

Everko
02-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Bad loss for Tomic. he will be more dissapointing than Dimitrov

duong
02-14-2011, 11:33 PM
The draw comprises of about half Aussies, most of which have inflated rankings anyway (no offence intended) from playing Aussie events with relatively weak fields.

Are you so sure they are ? there are so few challengers in Australia, and not so many futures (actually many young Australians go to European futures, I can see) that it doesn't look that important for their rankings.

And their results outside of Australia don't look that bad to me even if they're better at home (also because they prepare esp for this part of the season, which is quite normal)

Moreover, I guess it's not easy for Australians to have to stay so long so far from their country to play tournaments in other continents.

When I look at the results of former youngsters and what they became (Todd Reid, Groth, Guccione, now Klein ...), I'm shocked how many quite promising young Australians have been disappointing later in their carreer or sometimes stopped their carreer quite early (I think of one player for whom I read that recently but don't remember who) (actually the same phenomenon could be seen for some Asian players and the previous argument may be one of the explanations together with maybe a lack of physical power)

My guess was that the fact that they need to stay so long so far from home to improve their rankings makes it mentally uneasy when you ask that to a young man.

Americans can stay in the US to climb the rankings, and even Europeans at least can go back home from time to time as travels are not so long inside Europe.

As for Tomic it may be a reason (together with his growth problems) why he has played so few tournaments in recent years comparing to a Krajinovic or Harrison.

I don't know what you think about that ?

n8
02-15-2011, 12:45 AM
I think you may have hit the nail on the head. The biggest Challenger tours are in Europe and North America and it sure is a long way to go. It must be very tiring playing lots of events and not being able to easily go back home like Europeans and Americans can. Perhaps Kubler's team is doing the right thing making him play a lot of events in Europe so he gets used to it and doesn't feel as home sick when he goes there more in future. I think they have some kind of base there so that's seems promising.

fast_clay
02-15-2011, 12:52 AM
aussie player always travelled 8 - 9 months of the year... for eras... and successfully mind you...

only reason they wouldnt be able to do it now it due to cases of vaginitus reaching near epidemic levels in australian mens tennis in recent years... acute cases of an affliction unheard of in australia once upon a time... bunch of pussies

Hewitt =Legend
02-15-2011, 02:55 AM
aussie player always travelled 8 - 9 months of the year... for eras... and successfully mind you...

only reason they wouldnt be able to do it now it due to cases of vaginitus reaching near epidemic levels in australian mens tennis in recent years... acute cases of an affliction unheard of in australia once upon a time... bunch of pussies

This.

Hopefully Rafter toughens them up a bit... I remember him saying a while back that we need to get out of Australia and travel around Europe... you know a real bonding experience, sleeping in parks and travelling by train to events... instills a tough attitude in you.

I'm gonna go put on my comfy undies... I love you Pat..