Will Raonic surpass Roddick´s record of 155mp? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Raonic surpass Roddick´s record of 155mp?

romismak
02-12-2011, 09:52 PM
I think this exhibition with Ivo was really great- both show great serves and in that fastest serve competition Raonic hit 151mph just little out- i think he has for 20 years old massive serve- in speed and in 2-3 years he can hit maybe 160mph. We will see. I think Raonic has the best serve right now in the world- probably the fastest 1st serve- while Roddick isn´t serving so fast last years, and Dent retired, also his 1st serve has varietes- he can hit slice aces, kick serves, topspin, flat fast, his 2nd serve is much better than Ivo´s or Isner´s too.

dombrfc
02-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Yes. and he will also become GOAT

samjones
02-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Yes. and he will also become GOAT

He's the FGOAT.

henke007
02-12-2011, 10:20 PM
I think Raonic has the best serve right now in the world
:spit::o

Agrajag
02-12-2011, 11:09 PM
I think the radar at SAP Open is pretty generous. Last year Verdasco and Roddick averaged something like 140, and I am pretty sure Dent equaled Roddicks record. This year I haven't watched any matches with the big servers, but I saw Smyczek hit several in the 130s. That is at least 10mph too much.

romismak
02-12-2011, 11:18 PM
I think the radar at SAP Open is pretty generous. Last year Verdasco and Roddick averaged something like 140, and I am pretty sure Dent equaled Roddicks record. This year I haven't watched any matches with the big servers, but I saw Smyczek hit several in the 130s. That is at least 10mph too much.

Really i don´t know about radar- if it is wrong or not, but they are always some talking about radars- in davis cup and other tournaments too, but i think now in 2011 technology world it can´t be much wrong- maybe few mph but thats all. Dent never equaled Roddick´s 155mph officialy- maybe on training who knows. Ivo Karlovic hold officialy 2nd fastest serve i think 153mph but i am not sure. Raonic hit 145mph his maximum in that contest- what is about 233kmh and he hit 230kmh at AO too- so it can be right and that 151 mph he hit 2cm long was reayll i think fastest his serve in that competition. But the think is that Raonic can be stronger physically or make his swing even better and alredy is capable of hitting 145-150 maximum so i think he has really gret chance to break Andy´s record or equal it. And Verdasco many times when you look in GS tournaments statistics- is in top 10, once he was in top 5 fastest serves- and Roddick obviouslyl still can hit fast serve too so maybe that radar is correct after all...

romismak
02-12-2011, 11:25 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fastest_recorded_tennis_serves
here is link to the fastest serves ever.

Agrajag
02-12-2011, 11:38 PM
Really i don´t know about radar- if it is wrong or not, but they are always some talking about radars- in davis cup and other tournaments too, but i think now in 2011 technology world it can´t be much wrong- maybe few mph but thats all. Dent never equaled Roddick´s 155mph officialy- maybe on training who knows. Ivo Karlovic hold officialy 2nd fastest serve i think 153mph but i am not sure. Raonic hit 145mph his maximum in that contest- what is about 233kmh and he hit 230kmh at AO too- so it can be right and that 151 mph he hit 2cm long was reayll i think fastest his serve in that competition. But the think is that Raonic can be stronger physically or make his swing even better and alredy is capable of hitting 145-150 maximum so i think he has really gret chance to break Andy´s record or equal it. And Verdasco many times when you look in GS tournaments statistics- is in top 10, once he was in top 5 fastest serves- and Roddick obviouslyl still can hit fast serve too so maybe that radar is correct after all...

I probably exaggerated a little, but as you can see on the list on the post below you, San Jose is overrepresented.

Raonic may very well challenge Roddick nevertheless.

Pirata.
02-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I think the San Jose radar gun is a bit loaded, but I think Milos has a chance 147mph serve for a youngster is pretty awesome.

Sapeod
02-12-2011, 11:58 PM
Raonic could definitely serve harder than Roddick. His serve is (a) better than Roddick's and (b) more faster much more of the time. And he's only 20. So in 2/3 years, like the OP said, we could see him hit 160mph serves....

Pirata.
02-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Dusan Vemic, 147 mph (237 km/h), ATP Challenger Heilbronn 2011 (probably a technology error)

:lol:

156mphserve
02-13-2011, 12:01 AM
I laughed at that as well:lol:

bleu_cheese
02-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Raonic could definitely serve harder than Roddick. His serve is (a) better than Roddick's and (b) more faster much more of the time. And he's only 20. So in 2/3 years, like the OP said, we could see him hit 160mph serves....

Now, now, don't get hasty here. Just as in baseball, there is a limit to how hard a ball can be thrown/hit. (with current technology) Raonic could very well break the record, but I think it would be an isolated event.

Topspindoctor
02-13-2011, 12:03 AM
Never. Duck's unique serve motion is what allows him to hit those huge serves. Raonic depends on his height and nothing else.

philosophicalarf
02-13-2011, 12:06 AM
I probably exaggerated a little, but as you can see on the list on the post below you, San Jose is overrepresented.

San Jose used to use really quick balls that no other tournament has, lots of players commented on it. Changed this year though.

Verdasco can really thunder them btw, he had 144 at the French in 2009. Not sure why he doesn't use it more often.

Sapeod
02-13-2011, 12:07 AM
Now, now, don't get hasty here. Just as in baseball, there is a limit to how hard a ball can be thrown/hit. (with current technology) Raonic could very well break the record, but I think it would be an isolated event.
Raonic is only 20, yet he hits near to 150mph. You get stronger as you get older, so he could get near to 160mph in a few years. It is very possible and will probably happen. Of course, not every serve will be that fast, but a few will be.

156mphserve
02-13-2011, 12:08 AM
Never. Duck's unique serve motion is what allows him to hit those huge serves. Raonic depends on his height and nothing else.

that's why Yao Ming has broken the record over and over.:retard:

When I hear people talk about Raonic and his serve all I hear about is how simplified and easy his service motion is, and how that results in those big serves. He's only 20 and as he matures that serve will get better and better, no doubt in my mind he'll break the record, it'll probably take a few years but it will be done

gusavo
02-13-2011, 12:22 AM
I think Raonic has the best serve right now in the world
lol

romismak
02-13-2011, 02:00 AM

Never? maybe he won´t hit faster than Roddick, but i will disagree with you in your words that height is the key for his serve- Raonic isn´t such tall kid after all- maybe he will be taller little bit, but right now he is 1.96m what is still not the height of Karlovic, Isner, Anderson or Guccione- all 2metre plus- but he is definetely already serving faster- every match average he is hitting harder serves than those guys and about similar height like Raonic are players like: Berdych-196cm, Del Potro-198cm, Cilic-198cm,Querrey-198cm, Van der Merwe-196cm and nobody of them is serving faster or better- so it is not about height- that kid just know how to serve- and his serve will be in 2-3 years best on the tour if it is not already.

jadey
02-13-2011, 02:13 AM
Im just happy to have such a great player from my country playing . :D

Mjau!
02-13-2011, 03:26 AM
No, the balls are too big.

Lopez
02-13-2011, 10:42 AM
No, the balls are too big.

That's what she said

BodyServe
02-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Samuel Groth has probaby the fastest serve in the world right now, he served 236 kph at the Ausopen where Raonic served 230 kph.
And Vemic's is not a gun malfunction :retard: he can serve that fast.

ApproachShot
02-13-2011, 11:47 AM

Not sure about 160mph, but surpassing Roddick should definitely be on the radar (no pun intended). If that list on Wikipedia is correct, then Roddick once served at 149mph at the age of 20, but I guess Raonic is more consistent than Roddick was at that age at hitting fast serves. I guess a lot is dependent upon balls, strings etc but he has a decent shot of surpassing Roddick in a few years, I think.

emotion
02-13-2011, 12:57 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fastest_recorded_tennis_serves
here is link to the fastest serves ever.

4 of top 50 in 2 tournaments. :worship:

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
02-13-2011, 01:33 PM
roddick being only 6'1 is a freak of nature to hit 155

i think its the greatest achievement in tennis history

what beautiful technique, if only his other shots had 1 tenth of that technique he'd win the calender GS

9/10 fastest serves in history belong to roddick

LOL

GHETTOTENNIS
02-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Im just happy to have such a great player from my country playing . :D

Except that he doesn't identify himself as canadian

Nixer
02-13-2011, 01:42 PM
San Jose used to use really quick balls that no other tournament has, lots of players commented on it. Changed this year though.

Verdasco can really thunder them btw, he had 144 at the French in 2009. Not sure why he doesn't use it more often.

the same reason Roddick doesn't serve as hard anymore - to bring up the percentage

Certinfy
02-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Definitely possible.

As for Roddick you can't help but rate him for even achieving 155mph due to his height, incredible!

out_here_grindin
02-13-2011, 02:15 PM
It's not a guarantee that he will put more mph on his sevre as he gets older. Players sometimes serve harder when they are young and fresh. Before the wear and tear.

Sapeod
02-13-2011, 02:34 PM
That's what she said
That's not very funny...in fact, it's pretty immature...

BodyServe
02-13-2011, 02:49 PM
It's not a guarantee that he will put more mph on his sevre as he gets older. Players sometimes serve harder when they are young and fresh. Before the wear and tear.

Exactly, they have more explosivity when they are younger 18-23 years old, maybe 20-25 for taller guys, as they get older they usually add some muscles but as a results they lost some arm speed.

romismak
02-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Exactly, they have more explosivity when they are younger 18-23 years old, maybe 20-25 for taller guys, as they get older they usually add some muscles but as a results they lost some arm speed.

It is true, but also the factor for slower serves after some age is that they start to thinking- not to serve so fast- but with more spin, slice and varietes- and try to achieve higher percentage.

BodyServe
02-13-2011, 03:36 PM
It is true, but also the factor for slower serves after some age is that they start to thinking- not to serve so fast- but with more spin, slice and varietes- and try to achieve higher percentage.

Yes i agree, they play it safer to avoid injuries too, and as a results they are not used to hit as high in max speed when they want to.

Bubble99
02-13-2011, 04:00 PM
9/10 fastest serves in the world belong to Roddick. His serve technique is ridiculously good. Probably one of the single best stroke the game of tennis has ever seen. And I still believe Roddick if he tried his hardest still could manage 155mph at his age.

Black Adam
02-13-2011, 05:35 PM
In the match Roddick hit the 155mph he also hit 160 mph but ball was out. Thing is I don't trust the guns they use in Davis Cup.

I trust more the 153 @ Queens.

romismak
02-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Raonic hit ace- 150mph when it was 4:5 in 3rd set, and hit also in that game 154mph in the net:d is is i hope mather of time when he will hit 156mph or more.

laurie-1
02-21-2011, 11:24 AM
I watched the final last night on Super Tennis channel - 150mph, astonishing speed!

That was a service festival last night wasn't it? Haven't seen one of those for years! It will be interesting seeing these two play eachother at wimbledon.

By the way, Super Tennis is an Italian channel which you get on satellite for free!

Bubble99
02-21-2011, 11:37 AM
I think he will get really close, but i dont think he will do it....I still believe Roddick can serve faster than 155 as many of his coaches have said he can, he hit 147mph last night and he wasn't even feeling well

Li Ching Yuen
02-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Both the 155 in Davis Cup and the 153 at Queens are fake imo.

His undoubtedly fastest serve is and will remain at USO, clocked at 152 mph.

An interesting stat about "fast serving" is that Taylor Dent holds the record at 3 of the 4 slams and is the second behind Roddick at USO as far as the fastest serve ever recorded.

And I remember watching him a lot of the times. He had one serve down the T that he used to hit that was sounding like a grenade had just went off. The simple sound of it was just beyond brutal and goddamnit man it was fucking flat, straight trajectory and all.

Raonic could surpass both Roddick and Dent imo since he is only 20 and still has quite the time to develop more core strength.

BodyServe
02-21-2011, 06:55 PM
I think he will get really close, but i dont think he will do it....I still believe Roddick can serve faster than 155 as many of his coaches have said he can, he hit 147mph last night and he wasn't even feeling well

Roddick served 147mph? he served 138mph max at the ausopen, these speed guns are juiced, no wonder Raonic served 150mph.

His undoubtedly fastest serve is and will remain at USO, clocked at 152 mph.

Agreed, if Dent had played more Davis cup matches in 2004-2005, he would have the record.

abraxas21
02-21-2011, 06:58 PM
i dont think this kid's serve will get better in 2-3 years. it's already at or pretty close to it's peak.

still, he might break the record.

in any case, serve ain't just about speed at all. this kid has more variety in the serve than someone like roddick. he serves better than him.

Bubble99
02-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Roddick served 147mph? he served 138mph max at the ausopen, these speed guns are juiced, no wonder Raonic served 150mph.

Agreed, if Dent had played more Davis cup matches in 2004-2005, he would have the record.

Yep, it did look pretty fast...And he did get into the low 140's in the Ausopen

heya
02-21-2011, 11:59 PM
The jaded voters proved that posing for photos of a 156 mph serve speed record is better than obtaining trophies. NOT.
Ah. A mentally sick or injured man can worry only about his serve speed.

156mphserve
02-22-2011, 01:23 AM
he may pass Roddick but will he pass me?:scratch::lol:

I see him passing Roddick in a few years easily

philosophicalarf
02-22-2011, 01:41 AM

The ball in Australia is nice n heavy. In Memphis they use the US Open ball (well, an indoor version, but not much different).

meanpc
03-03-2011, 04:17 PM
I saw someone lol at raonic having the best serve in tennis. Who's serving better than raonic right now?

FormerRafaFan
03-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Yes, he's still young, so I think it's perfectly possible to beat Roddick's record. It isn't that far off now, and he's only getting better, so.. :)

Pea
03-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Hopefully, Raonic will. Records should be held by people with talent.