La Monf withdraws from San Jose, another final for Milos [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

La Monf withdraws from San Jose, another final for Milos

Pirata.
02-12-2011, 04:49 AM
Gael Monfils has pulled out of the SAP Open with a left wrist injury hours after beating Tim Smyczek 6-4, 7-6 (6) to advance to the semifinals.

Monfils originally hurt the wrist in the first round of the Australian Open last month. He had an MRI on Monday and won three matches, as well as an exhibition against Pete Sampras in San Jose.

He made his decision to withdraw after being examined Friday by tournament and French federation doctors. Monfils says he will be sidelined for four to six weeks, pulling out of tournaments in Memphis, Acapulco and the Davis Cup.

The withdrawal sends Milos Raonic into his first career final after knocking off Richard Berankis 6-4, 7-6 (2). Juan Martin del Potro will play Fernando Verdasco in the other semi.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/monfils-pulls-out-of-sap-open-after-reaching-1249038.html

Gael also just tweeted about it ("Aaaaa lalaaa ke c dur a chak de se retiré d un tournoi é de pa pouvoir joué pendan des semaine.ca me mé dan le trou")

Topspindoctor
02-12-2011, 04:51 AM
ffs, horrible news. I had Monf favorite for a title here. Now that all serve ball basher will advance to final :o

Smoke944
02-12-2011, 04:54 AM
Hahaha. Lucky one for Raonic. But for now everything's going his way.

Say Hey Kid
02-12-2011, 05:01 AM
ivo karlovic playing in exhibition with raonic in replace of semifinal...

Ibracadabra
02-12-2011, 05:01 AM
Raonic vs karlovic tomorrow for an exhibition. After the match they will also have a contest to see who have the biggest serve.

Smoke944
02-12-2011, 05:02 AM
Raonic vs karlovic tomorrow for an exhibition. After the match they will also have a contest to see who have the biggest serve.

Nice. Will be a 7-6 7-6 exhibition, though :p

osmonde
02-12-2011, 05:22 AM
Happy for Milos, he is consistant and clever in his choice of shots. Nice game today.
Will hit 65 in ranking with that final from 152 last month. wow!

FlameOn
02-12-2011, 06:11 AM
ffs, horrible news. I had Monf favorite for a title here. Now that all serve/ball basher will advance to final :o

Contradiction. :shrug: If you can bash the ball effectively then you're not an all serve player. :p

Kat_YYZ
02-12-2011, 06:16 AM
Great for Milos! :bounce:
Get well soon, Gael :sad:

KoOlMaNsEaN
02-12-2011, 06:18 AM
Yay 4 Milos!

FormerRafaFan
02-12-2011, 06:37 AM
Good news for Milos! Sad news for Monfils though. I wish him a fast recovery:hug:

Milos is actually very lucky, because I kinda doubt he would have defeated Monfils in the semi, but oh well.. he can't help Monfils getting injured, he will probably try to make the most of it though.

Yves.
02-12-2011, 06:38 AM
The fairytale continues :D

Pipsy
02-12-2011, 08:20 AM
Personally, I feel for Smycek who, having played fairly well yesterday could have been playing Raonic in an interesting semi

Doomach777
02-12-2011, 08:24 AM
Luck me more!

n8
02-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Monfils injured yet again. Disappointing.

Agrajag
02-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Good news for Milos! Sad news for Monfils though. I wish him a fast recovery:hug:

Milos is actually very lucky, because I kinda doubt he would have defeated Monfils in the semi, but oh well.. he can't help Monfils getting injured, he will probably try to make the most of it though.

Monfils would have been favourite of course, but the way he has struggled with Ivo and Isner before, anything could have happened. I was excited about seeing some odds for this match.

Topspindoctor
02-12-2011, 09:06 AM
Ridiculous how some people here are actually happy about this. Watching Monfils play is awesome, he can do everything on court and a great entertainer. You'll never know what he'll do and the guy can play every shot and do it with style and flair.

I only needed to see ONE Raonic match to know I'll never watch his matches again, unless one of my favs is playing. Ugly game, ugly groundstrokes, terrible movement, horrible BH, just serve, serve, serve :o he is not top 20 material some people proclaim him to be and his matches are :zzz: like Karlovic's or Isner's.

Jacques_Ukraine
02-12-2011, 09:45 AM
It's a great pity :(

Tom Paulman
02-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Ridiculous how some people here are actually happy about this. Watching Monfils play is awesome, he can do everything on court and a great entertainer. You'll never know what he'll do and the guy can play every shot and do it with style and flair.

He is such a great entertainer that we would be very successful in circus :)

FormerRafaFan
02-12-2011, 09:56 AM
He is such a great entertainer that we would be very successful in circus :)

:spit: so funny, but yet so true! :lol:

scoobs
02-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Shame for the tournament - what are you supposed to do when you lose one of your SFs and it's the feature match of your ticket session?

Pirata.
02-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Shame for the tournament - what are you supposed to do when you lose one of your SFs and it's the feature match of your ticket session?

Arrange an exho with the battle of the big serves, Raonic-Karlovic, followed by an ace-off :lol:

FlameOn
02-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Watching Monfils play is awesome, he can do everything on court and a great entertainer. You'll never know what he'll do and the guy can play every shot and do it with style and flair.

He's a capable player but most of the time he's content to 'push the ball back and see what happens' (his own words there BTW). Personally I'd rather watch grass grow than 98% of Monfils' matches.

Certinfy
02-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Gael :sad: Oh well good for Milos :yeah:

cocrcici
02-12-2011, 10:29 AM

I only needed to see ONE Raonic match to know I'll never watch his matches again, unless one of my favs is playing. Ugly game, ugly groundstrokes, terrible movement, horrible BH, just serve, serve, serve :o he is not top 20 material some people proclaim him to be and his matches are :zzz: like Karlovic's or Isner's.
:haha:

Shirogane
02-12-2011, 10:35 AM
+1

GL in the final

Gael also just tweeted about it ("Aaaaa lalaaa ke c dur a chak de se retiré d un tournoi é de pa pouvoir joué pendan des semaine.ca me mé dan le trou")
Horrible tweet

KaiserT
02-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Personally, I feel for Smycek who, having played fairly well yesterday could have been playing Raonic in an interesting semi

He played like a muppet when it mattered against a Monfils injured and barely trying.

He should feel sorry for himself, sure.

krystlel
02-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Arrange an exho with the battle of the big serves, Raonic-Karlovic, followed by an ace-off :lol:
I just saw that. Is this the first tournament to arrange some kind of exho for the beneficiary of a withdrawal late in the tournament? All I can say is that Raonic vs Karlovic does not sound like a worthy exhibition match!

jrm
02-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Another? Have i missed previous one(s)?

tealeaves
02-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Is he going to play Memphis despite being "injured"?

TennisOnWood
02-12-2011, 11:38 AM
What was Milos's first final so this is ''another''?

rhinooooo
02-12-2011, 12:06 PM

He's supposedly out for the next 4 weeks. Misses Davis Cup too.

simplet
02-12-2011, 12:23 PM

He's not "injured", he's injured. He'll miss at least a month

nalbyfan
02-12-2011, 12:36 PM
He has not points to defend during his injury pause, he's quite lucky

Johnny Groove
02-12-2011, 02:04 PM

Yeah, until Raonic hits the top 10, then your bandwagoning self will be slobbering all over him.

Blarghman
02-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Too bad, I was looking forward to this match, thought it would be interesting, and Milos might have a decent chance of winning it. Oh well, Milos will get a good test in the final, good luck to him there :yeah:

BigJohn
02-12-2011, 02:32 PM

Wow... about 10 words are spelled properly, most of those having 2 letters or less.

FormerRafaFan
02-12-2011, 02:36 PM

I suspect it's a play on words, instead of "another game for milos" (Seinfeld) they say "another final for Milos."

Jelena
02-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Wow... about 10 words are spelled properly, most of those having 2 letters or less.
That's the reason why I hate French chat language.

Stupid for Monf though.

GlennMirnyi
02-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Vamos Milos.

Ten_Isse_Fan
02-12-2011, 04:08 PM
http://www.statesman.com/sports/monfils-pulls-out-of-sap-open-after-reaching-1249038.html

:o :o

Topspindoctor
02-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah, until Raonic hits the top 10, then your bandwagoning self will be slobbering all over him.

I'll never ever support Raonic, I thought I made it clear. Will never be a fan of an all serve mug with ugly groundstrokes, pathetic BH and no movement.

Certinfy
02-12-2011, 04:25 PM
I'll never ever support Raonic, I thought I made it clear. Will never be a fan of an all serve mug with ugly groundstrokes, pathetic BH and no movement.
Like you can talk about ugly groundstrokes :lol:

Ashlar77
02-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Sad news about Monfils, so unlucky with injuries. :hug: Phenomenal opportunity for Milos in his first ATP main tour final! :yeah:

156mphserve
02-12-2011, 08:11 PM

Nobody cares if you watch his matches or not:wavey:

156mphserve
02-12-2011, 08:14 PM

well he did play in the Granby Challanger final last year:lol:

but yeah, it's a play on the seinfeld line likely:p

Voo de Mar
02-13-2011, 02:18 AM
What's the scoreline of Raonic-Ivo exho?

Smoke944
02-13-2011, 02:19 AM
What's the scoreline of Raonic-Ivo exho?

Dr. Ivo 7-6 7-6

Voo de Mar
02-13-2011, 02:21 AM
Dr. Ivo 7-6 7-6

Thanks. Actually the question should have been "who won more tie-breaks" ;)

.-Federers_Mate-.
02-13-2011, 02:23 AM
Lucky boy. Monfils would have had him for dinner.