San Jose QF: Raonic defeated Berankis 6-4,7-6(2) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

San Jose QF: Raonic defeated Berankis 6-4,7-6(2)

tennizen
02-11-2011, 10:37 PM
:worship: Straightforward.

scoobs
02-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Was a bit of a flat match really but Raonic pulled it out. He's on the march this year.

Certinfy
02-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Milos just too good :worship:

KoOlMaNsEaN
This is unbelievable. Into the semi final. :worship::worship:

Milos is resurrecting Canadian Tennis!

Tom Paulman
Great result :yeah:

duong
02-11-2011, 10:40 PM
I tried to watch when Cilic and Troicki were changing sides but saw no game at all :lol:

Berankis seems having a good serve for his size

Dead Net Cord
Berankis was terrible.

romismak
Again great match for Milos. In whole match he faced to only 1 BP and saved it of course. Hit 12 aces and play really good in rallies. In Johannesburg he choked it against Greul, now he is playing well i hope he can even win this- with Monfils and Verdasco as top seeds.. who knows when those 2 will be pathetic in their matches again:D

Ad Wim
02-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Berankis was extremely unmotivated and ultra flat in the first set. If he would have stepped it up just a bit, he would have had won in 2 easily.

Dead Net Cord
02-11-2011, 10:42 PM
I tried to watch when Cilic and Troicki were changing sides but saw no game at all :lol:

Berankis seems having a good serve for his size

7 DF in 11 service games...

Roamed
02-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, I think this is only the 11th ATP match he's won? And already into the semis of a tournament! Amazing stuff :)

FormerRafaFan
02-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Berankis was terrible.

The commentators said Raonic was best in the first set but that Berankis was slightly better in the second.. anyway, Milos won:worship:

Li Ching Yuen
Horrible from Berankis.

He realized that he has to pick sides when returning only in the 12th game of the second set.

I mean, wow...I thought the guy was smart.

duong
7 DF in 11 service games...

yes I just saw that :lol: , 7 aces as well ;)

83% points on first serve : actually the difference with Raonic is on second serve : only 47%

Voo de Mar
02-11-2011, 10:45 PM
It's good that Raonic's run in Melbourne wasn't a fluke.

Armless
02-11-2011, 10:46 PM
What can you do when Milos serves bombs at a nearly 70 percent? With indoors favouring him, we could see another first title holder.
Berankis start was incredibly nervous, was DF'ing like crazy, cost him the break, no dictation of the rallies, all was in Raonic's hands. Rycka needed to give his best to beat such a performance , or maybe he just needs a slower court.

scoobs
02-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, I think this is only the 11th ATP match he's won? And already into the semis of a tournament! Amazing stuff :)
He seems to have stepped it up very quickly from being ranked around 160 prior to the Australian Open - seems to have adjusted to the difference in class effortlessly.

The big question will be if he can keep this up - it's been an amazing month for him but is he here to stay?

viruzzz
02-11-2011, 10:47 PM
I think the whole forum is following this kid.

DrJules
02-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Similar age, but feel Raonic has more potential than Berankis. Key feature is the serve where Raonic is much better (12 aces 1 double fault 56% 1st serve) and Berankis (7 aces 7 double faults 66% 1st serve). Also has more all court game and greater power.

scoobs
02-11-2011, 10:48 PM
I think the whole forum is following this kid.
I think quite a lot of people are eager to see a bit of new blood near to the top of the game - once he's been around a bit longer we'll see who actually likes him for his game and who's just enjoying the sensation of someone new arriving.

tumbak
02-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Raonic is shit except serve.

madmax
02-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Berankis was very flat and made too many errors in key moments - story of the match really

duong
02-11-2011, 10:53 PM

I can't say about this tournament, what I saw was not great, but in MElbourne he could play really great.

However his style doesn't fit modern game, then I don't think he will be a top-5 but he has a very good forehand as well and can play with his backhand, I saw him hit backhand winners against Ferrer :lol:

DrJules
02-11-2011, 10:54 PM

Powerfull forehand and better volleys than many.

FormerRafaFan
02-11-2011, 10:54 PM
He seems to have stepped it up very quickly from being ranked around 160 prior to the Australian Open - seems to have adjusted to the difference in class effortlessly.

The big question will be if he can keep this up - it's been an amazing month for him but is he here to stay?

He certainly won't keep it up in Memphis at least.. he drew Verdasco in R1:help:

scoobs
02-11-2011, 10:55 PM
He certainly won't keep it up in Memphis at least.. he drew Verdasco in R1:help:
Could be a very good match to see where he's at.

Berankis drew Roddick.

duong
02-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Powerfull forehand and better volleys than many.

yes he can volley well : saw that in Melbourne too

he's really a player of the 90s imo, just came 20 years too late :lol:

KaiserT
02-11-2011, 10:59 PM

So what?

Not like Verdasco is to be feared and will prob have a mental letdown if he wins here again..... because he's an eejit.

Milos is a beast.

DrJules
02-11-2011, 11:00 PM
I think quite a lot of people are eager to see a bit of new blood near to the top of the game - once he's been around a bit longer we'll see who actually likes him for his game and who's just enjoying the sensation of someone new arriving.

Neither give me top 10 feel.

jonathancrane
02-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Expected

Li Ching Yuen
02-11-2011, 11:05 PM
I really think Berankis could've won this if he hadn't served so many DF's and just took some risks while returning. He was just flat imo and seemed to lack some energy. He did play a marathon yesterday so I guess it's understandable.

Raonic kinda went for the same second serves at some point, not mixing it up. He's Top30 material thus far but needs some improving to get way up high. Someone like Federer and Djokovic will probably destroy him with a good return of serve.

duong
02-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Someone like Federer and Djokovic will probably destroy him with a good return of serve.

Ferrer is one of the best returners and passing-shoters of the game and I can tell you in Melbourne he was very much embarrassed by Raonic and fought as much as he could : the scores of 2nd to 4th set are flattering for Ferrer

Li Ching Yuen
02-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Ferrer is one of the best returners and passing-shoters of the game and I can tell you in Melbourne he was very much embarrassed by Raonic and fought as much as he could : the scores of 2nd to 4th set are flattering for Ferrer

Ferrer is in a league below compared to the return of serve of guys like Federer, Djokovic and Murray.

duong
02-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Ferrer is in a league below compared to the return of serve of guys like Federer, Djokovic and Murray.

I don't think so (except Djokovic who looks better to me) : actually if you look at the ATP stats he's in the same league, even if he plays more on clay which helps

I saw him return Ljubicic's serve remarkably in Beijing, which is really tough.

Deivid23
02-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Whatīs up with this Berankisī hype, ffs? :o Reading some comments in here one would think he was kind of unlucky or just let Raonic win this one bc he couldnīt care less.

Raonic was much better than him, his win was absolutely never in doubt and yes he is the better player and will have a better career than Berankis barrying injuries.

Hope this helps.

Certinfy
02-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Heavily disagreed, sorry but Ferrer's ROS is perhaps even better than Federer's now, as for Murray and Djokovic, he's in the same league IMO.

scoobs
02-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Ferrer is a world class returner of the serve but that doesn't mean it's on every single day.

Deivid23
02-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Neither give me top 10 feel.

Then itīs pretty much a cert at least one of them will reach top 10, imo

Deivid23
02-11-2011, 11:28 PM

Cut that pessimistic crap, ffs. I can easily see you when Raonic is sth like top 30 claiming heīs going to lose to some future level player

Johnny Groove
02-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Raonic can really blast the ball, and his movement is deceptively quick for such a tall guy.

gindyo
02-11-2011, 11:29 PM
I said it before and i will say it again berankis game is great for juniors but the big boys are going to eat him alive. The guy has no weapons, all his shots are average at best. His peak will be top 40, 30 the most

allpro
02-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Berankis was extremely unmotivated and ultra flat in the first set. If he would have stepped it up just a bit, he would have had won in 2 easily.

:haha:

bullshit.

However his style doesn't fit modern game, then I don't think he will be a top-5 but he has a very good forehand as well and can play with his backhand, I saw him hit backhand winners against Ferrer :lol:

filed away for future claim chowder.

Was a bit of a flat match really but Raonic pulled it out. He's on the march this year.

yes, very flat and in many ways reminiscent of a sampras match. raonic never felt threatened on serve and seemed content to take it to a tiebreak in the 2nd. berankis, facing enormous pressure to hold, struggled with double faults but regained his form in the 2nd. unfortunately, he lacks any real weapons and was simply outgunned and outmanned.

overall, a solid workmanlike performance from raonic and the result was nid. well done milos :drink:

Fire__
02-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Whatīs up with this Berankisī hype, ffs? :o Reading some comments in here one would think he was kind of unlucky or just let Raonic win this one bc he couldnīt care less.

Raonic was much better than him, his win was absolutely never in doubt and yes he is the better player and will have a better career than Berankis barrying injuries.

Hope this helps.

With this number of posts I thought people have some expierience in talking. But You seem to be that guy, which just talks and collects them. Look at Berankis career. He is not jumping up in the ranks like a missile, he is consistent, he is working hard all the time (as others do probably too). But to make a conclusions after one game, which he lost to a really good player.. Common, it's now really a time to put that crack pipe, old poster..

.-Federers_Mate-.
02-11-2011, 11:45 PM
I said it before and i will say it again berankis game is great for juniors but the big boys are going to eat him alive. The guy has no weapons, all his shots are average at best. His peak will be
top 40, 30 the most

Oh hell yes, full agreed. He even looks like a junior. Everything he does is mediocre, nothing stands out and he's not a big game player. being Mediocre but not bad doesn't cut it at this level. As you said he has NO weapons, nothing to harm any big player with. He doesn't have that spark that top 10 player needs. he will be a player who languishes around he top 50 playing on court 17 at slams achieving okayish results and nothing more. He isn't marketable and he has NO personality or charm. Someone said his serve is good for his height, it's nothing special just like Berankis. Not enough pop to become a factor in matches. Why people hype him idk? today he got outplayed by a guy with an actual big time career ahead of him. Milos is better in very regard and has a dynamic about his game which you NEED in BIG matches not just when playing benji becker or D.Young. He was over matched by the more powerful player and this will happen more and more often that is is Berenkis even makes it to this level again. Today Milos was in cruise control and that was all he needed when playing a makeshift guy like Rica. Just out hit him ffrom the back of the court and dint allow Berankis to get into a rhythm where he can play his dull baseline game consisting of getting the ball deep but never actually pulling the trigger. Milos is the better player and the better player won. Good for the game. Berankis is small guy playing a big mans game and quite clearly he isn't suited for it.

Deivid23
02-11-2011, 11:45 PM
But to make a conclusions after one game, which he lost to a really good player.. Common, it's now really a time to put that crack pipe, old poster..

Iīve seen Berankis at least a dozen times before today, so itīs not a conclusion after one game and itīs not my problem u donīt like reading anything except posts nuthugging him like many around here

.-Federers_Mate-.
02-11-2011, 11:48 PM
With this number of posts I thought people have some expierience in talking. But You seem to be that guy, which just talks and collects them. Look at Berankis career. He is not jumping up in the ranks like a missile, he is consistent, he is working hard all the time (as others do probably too). But to make a conclusions after one game, which he lost to a really good player.. Common, it's now really a time to put that crack pipe, old poster..

''consistent''

''working hard''

Big freaking deal.

He just not good enough :o. What you wrote was pretty much ''im a huge Berankis fan and i hope he will succeed one day''. That says nothing. As said in this thread, Berankis plays like a kid and is getting punished by any competent player that crosses his path. He has NO bright future unless being a journeyman is having a bright future. He has the possesses the charisma of lemon and quite frankly is out of his depth here. Don should have taken out the trash last round.

Fire__
02-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Oh hell yes, full agreed. He even looks like a junior. Everything he does is mediocre, nothing stands out and he's not a big game player. being Mediocre but not bad doesn't cut it at this level. As you said he has NO weapons, nothing to harm any big player with. He doesn't have that spark that top 10 player needs. he will be a player who languishes around he top 50 playing on court 17 at slams achieving okayish results and nothing more. He isn't marketable and he has NO personality or charm. Someone said his serve is good for his height, it's nothing special just like Berankis. Not enough pop to become a factor in matches. Why people hype him idk? today he got outplayed by a guy with an actual big time career ahead of him. Milos is better in very regard and has a dynamic about his game which you NEED in BIG matches not just when playing benji becker or D.Young. He was over matched by the more powerful player and this will happen more and more often that is is Berenkis even makes it to this level again. Today Milos was in cruise control and that was all he needed when playing a makeshift guy like Rica. Just out hit him ffrom the back of the court and dint allow Berankis to get into a rhythm where he can play his dull baseline game consisting of getting the ball deep but never actually pulling the trigger. Milos is the better player and the better player won. Good for the game. Berankis is small guy playing a big mans game and quite clearly he isn't suited for it.

Darling, your comments are clearly appreciated. I mean, just write any letter and it's enough. We will know that you, moron, were here and that you still love your Grigor (which i like too) and of course that you hate Berankis.

P.S. reply don't needed, at least it will be one symbol.

madmax
02-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Darling, your comments are clearly appreciated. I mean, just write any letter and it's enough. We will know that you, moron, were here and that you still love your Grigor (which i like too) and of course that you hate Berankis.

P.S. reply don't needed, at least it will be one symbol.

don't even waste your time on this clown - he thinks that Dimitrov will be TOP 10 at the end of the year and will be winning slams soon:haha: At least Raonic has a game suited for fast courts, where his kicking serve and big flat forehand works wonders, so his hype is understandable.

Fire__
02-12-2011, 12:02 AM
Iīve seen Berankis at least a dozen times before today, so itīs not a conclusion after one game and itīs not my problem u donīt like reading anything except posts nuthugging him like many around here

I like to read all the comments, first of all. I am not want to say, that Berankis will kill everyone on the tour. I am just sure he is going where he belongs. It's easy to make statements after one game, it's hard to see the whole, real view. I don't see future, i can look at the past and say how it was going for one or the other and make statements from that. I could use other professional opinion, which is very competitive and a man who knows more at least than me. Its Federer, who chose Berankis as his sparing partner, when he was junior and keeps doing that in these days. I am not sure, that he would choose him if he would think that Berankis is not suitable for adult tennis.
After all, i hope in two-three next years i will be happy to hear from You - Told ya. Just if You see the future right.

Deivid23
02-12-2011, 12:08 AM
I like to read all the comments, first of all. I am not want to say, that Berankis will kill everyone on the tour. I am just sure he is going where he belongs. It's easy to make statements after one game, it's hard to see the whole, real view. I don't see future, i can look at the past and say how it was going for one or the other and make statements from that. I could use other professional opinion, which is very competitive and a man who knows more at least than me. Its Federer, who chose Berankis as his sparing partner, when he was junior and keeps doing that in these days. I am not sure, that he would choose him if he would think that Berankis is not suitable for adult tennis.
After all, i hope in two-three next years i will be happy to hear from You - Told ya. Just if You see the future right.

Federer chose Berankis as a sparring, so Berankis will be a big player. Brilliant logic that :lol:

Here you have another opinion:

Berankis will be a good player once he develops his game, and if he can stay way more patient and smarter on court. Heīs a great ball striker, but that, unlike the general drooling in here when a poster see a guy hitting cleanly the ball doesnīt mean too much if you donīt have a proper mental approach to the game tactically and a proper shot selection. Raonic has much more potential to me, he looks smarter and calmer on court so thatīs bc I firmly believe he will have a better career than Berankis.

Ok, look up for me in this board in a few yearsī time and letīs see whoīs right

Fire__
02-12-2011, 12:09 AM
don't even waste your time on this clown - he thinks that Dimitrov will be TOP 10 at the end of the year and will be winning slams soon:haha: At least Raonic has a game suited for fast courts, where his kicking serve and big flat forehand works wonders, so his hype is understandable.

I know. So i tried to explain him, how to comment if he can't stop his spam :)

Fire__
02-12-2011, 12:15 AM
Federer chose Berankis as a sparring, so Berankis will be a big player. Brilliant logic that :lol:

Here you have another opinion:

Berankis will be a good player once he develops his game, and if he can stay way more patient and smarter on court. Heīs a great ball striker, but that, unlike the general drooling in here when a poster see a guy hitting cleanly the ball doesnīt mean too much if you donīt have a proper mental approach to the game tactically and a proper shot selection. Raonic has much more potential to me, he looks smarter and calmer on court so thatīs bc I firmly believe he will have a better career than Berankis.

Ok, look up for me in this board in a few yearsī time and letīs see whoīs right

A lot good thoughts in my opinion. About Raonic, he should have a good career, still some things to fix also, to be TOP. And of course we saw, that at this point he was better than Ricka.

.-Federers_Mate-.
02-12-2011, 12:22 AM
I know. So i tried to explain him, how to comment if he can't stop his spam :)

define ''spam'' because what i just posted isn't spam. It's better than anything you have posted in your feeble posting career. If your going to insult me instead of conveying your posts in an insightful manner please do in ENGLISH that isn't completely broken so i can actually read what your saying. Don't bring Grigor into this as he bigger than both Raonic & Berankis in terms of game,marketability and potential. Waht makes me laugh is that people actually think that Berankis is top 30 material is which is JOKE and this match is a PRIME reason why.

Mjau!
02-12-2011, 12:33 AM
When will Milos face tough opponent? Did he beat anyone good in Australia?

.-Federers_Mate-.
02-12-2011, 12:43 AM
When will Milos face tough opponent? Did he beat anyone good in Australia?

Youzhny & Llodra. Facing Monfils next

Mjau!
02-12-2011, 12:48 AM
Oh, right! Youzhny and Llodra! I forgot... Milos should have good chances versus french :silly:#1! :yeah:

Ashlar77
02-12-2011, 01:28 AM
Another good win for Milos! Fantastic week reaching the semifinals, good luck against Monfils! :yeah:

Topspindoctor
02-12-2011, 01:38 AM

Probably most overrated journeyman on this forum right now. Isner v2.0 basically. Hope Monfils schools him in the next round.

v-money
02-12-2011, 01:57 AM

The terrible thing is that he only dislikes Berankis because he's obsessed with Dimitrov at the moment. They are the two up and coming players and it's clear that the negativity is stemming from this rivalry that he's trying to build up even though a rivalry doesn't exist. Berankis has been progressing slowly but surely with his career, maybe he won't be the next big thing but he should become a solid player, at least as a consistent counter puncher similar to Davydenko.
Unfortunately I've only seen Raonic play Ferrer and Greul. He looked OK against Ferrer and very unimpressive against Greul, but it seem like people are excited about this kid. Hopefully I'll be able to watch him at his best and see what the hype is all about.

.-Federers_Mate-.
02-12-2011, 02:10 AM
The terrible thing is that he only dislikes Berankis because he's obsessed with Dimitrov at the moment. They are the two up and coming players and it's clear that the negativity is stemming from this rivalry that he's trying to build up even though a rivalry doesn't exist. Berankis has been progressing slowly but surely with his career, maybe he won't be the next big thing but he should become a solid player, at least as a consistent counter puncher similar to Davydenko.

Unfortunately I've only seen Raonic play Ferrer and Greul. He looked OK against Ferrer and very unimpressive against Greul, but it seem like people are excited about this kid. Hopefully I'll be able to watch him at his best and see what the hype is all about.

I have already stated why i dislike Berankis about a zillion times, if you don't understand then you don't understand.I don't rate Berankis with Grigor as he's not good enough to be a rival. If there is a young rival it's Henri/Dolgo/Tomic or Raonic guys that will be top 20 in the future prob.

Watch Raonic vs Youzhny. It was televised so you should be able to download somewhere.

156mphserve
02-12-2011, 02:14 AM

In that case, don't watch, you seem to be bad luck:p

n8
02-12-2011, 02:50 AM
Raonic got a wild card into Memphis but I think he would've gotten a special exempt anyway. He plays Verdasco first round in Memphis so it could be two matches in a row if they both make the final here.

156mphserve
02-12-2011, 02:57 AM
can't get a SE into a 500 event by making the semis of a 250 can you?

GlennMirnyi
02-12-2011, 03:19 AM
Is Raonic the new Glenn Michibata?

ANOTHER GAME FOR MILOS!

guichard
02-12-2011, 03:31 AM
can't get a SE into a 500 event by making the semis of a 250 can you?

No, you can't .

GlennMirnyi
02-12-2011, 04:17 AM
First semi of an ATp for MILOS!!!

oh and since nobody has post the famous video i figure i should post it

wUaMzsNKR7Q

FlameOn
02-12-2011, 04:29 AM
:hatoff:

*Jean*
02-12-2011, 06:01 AM
Ricardas :hug:

gaitare
02-12-2011, 08:08 AM
1. Berankis will be top 30 before the end of 2012 and will be ranked higher than Raonic by the end of next year. Fantastic ballstriker, the only worry is his head, but I'm sure he'll sort things out. I will never get over that change of first name, though

2. Another match by Milos leaves me completely cold. I cannot warm up to him, there must be something in his game that I just cannot find attractive, even if he plays a good volley which is sort of my fetish I'm slightly bored. Good luck to him nevertheless.

DrJules
02-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Then itīs pretty much a cert at least one of them will reach top 10, imo

Time will tell if either make top 10.

duong
02-12-2011, 11:27 AM
He looked OK against Ferrer and very unimpressive against Greul, but it seem like people are excited about this kid.

:confused: to me he looked great against Ferrer (better than against Llodra) and very disappoiting against Greul : he didn't even come to the net against Greul whereas he did that very often against Ferrer, which is tough.

hotdog
02-12-2011, 11:41 AM
I think Federer's Mate must have had a bet on Berankis. Only people who back losers are able to post nonsense:)

Li Ching Yuen
02-12-2011, 12:15 PM
I think Federer's Mate must have had a bet on Berankis. Only people who back losers are able to post nonsense:)

You've got that almost right. Fed's mate is a loser by nature.

Deivid23
02-14-2011, 03:24 AM
1. Berankis will be top 30 before the end of 2012 and will be ranked higher than Raonic by the end of next year. Fantastic ballstriker, the only worry is his head, but I'm sure he'll sort things out. I will never get over that change of first name, though

2. Another match by Milos leaves me completely cold. I cannot warm up to him, there must be something in his game that I just cannot find attractive, even if he plays a good volley which is sort of my fetish I'm slightly bored. Good luck to him nevertheless.

Raonic 1 Berankis 0

Keep going, son

Smoke944
02-14-2011, 05:52 AM
Deivid being a tool
NID

Chloe le Bopper
02-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Shiny day all around for Canada.

Chloe le Bopper
02-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Deivid being a tool
NID
Impossible.

scoobs
02-14-2011, 07:48 AM
Flash Forward - MTF 2015:

RaoTards vs BerankiTards vs DimiTards.

Fun for all the family.

Pirata.
02-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Flash Forward - MTF 2015:

RaoTards vs BerankiTards vs DimiTards.

Fun for all the family.

I like the sound of Milotards. Don't forget the Tomictards who will be the new Murraytards.

Chloe le Bopper
02-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Oh, I posted in the wrong thread. I meant to put that in the finals thread. Oh well.

Deivid23
02-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Deivid being a tool
NID

stfu u donut

tennizen
02-14-2011, 02:17 PM
I like the sound of Milotards. Don't forget the Tomictards who will be the new Murraytards.

Terra Massive will probably play himself.

gaitare
02-14-2011, 03:09 PM

Raonic 1 Berankis 0

Keep going, son
How does it relate to my post? I know Raonic is having great results NOW, Captain Obvious. Please make sure your IQ jumped from 56 to at least 59 before you start flexing your muscles next time around.