Would Nadal be as successful as a right-hander? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Would Nadal be as successful as a right-hander?

Magick
02-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Would his forehand be more/less/as effective? Would he have won slams? How many?

Discuss.

theKSHE
02-11-2011, 03:26 PM
What a stupid question? Impossible to know.

Certinfy
02-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Well I think...

Would his forehand be more/less/as effective?
Less effective.
Would he have won slams?
Yes.
How many?
A few, but I don't think he would of got the Career Slam.

Sonja1989
02-11-2011, 03:30 PM
I think as now.

Ichiban1920
Nadull wouldn't even be in the top 100 if he were right handed. His entire success is solely based on the fact that he's left handed, therefore his moonball forehands along with the angle are very effective.

Magick
What a stupid question? Impossible to know.

:yeah:

Nadull_tard
02-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Huh? Obviously he would never reach the world no 1 spot and wouldn't be so successful on clay, because the spinning ball running of the court is not so harmful on grass or hard. He would be nothing better than Mantilla.
The left-hand is the deciding factor of his achievements.

Mjau!
02-11-2011, 06:17 PM
NO! He would never have won Roger in Wimbledon and Australia.

Maybe other 6? :shrug:

Roddickominator
02-11-2011, 06:31 PM
It's an interesting question. But as someone said above, who knows?

I have a hard time believing that someone with as much mental toughness, physical strength, endurance, and athleticism as Rafa would suck only because he switched hands. His topspin forehand and serve would be less effective, so he'd have needed to work more on those shots growing up. He would also have a more typical backhand, and it's impossible to know how effective it'd be.

My guess is that he wouldn't have shot up through the rankings nearly as quickly, and definitely wouldn't have as many Slams. But as I said, his physicality and mental toughness make it hard for me to believe that he wouldn't be a respectable player.

DrJules
02-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Nadal cross court topspin forehand to Federer forehand instead of backhand would have made life significantly easier for Federer and no left handed slice serves to backhand as well.

I think less successful as the left handed forehand has exploited so many right handed backhands.

leng jai
02-11-2011, 06:38 PM
IMO he would be 28.6% worse.

duong
02-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Nadal cross court topspin forehand to Federer forehand instead of backhand would have made life significantly easier for Federer and no left handed slice serves to backhand as well.

I think less successful as the left handed forehand has exploited so many right handed backhands.

yes less successful but still multiple slam winner, how many impossible to know already now who knows how many he will win ? :lol:

Filo V.
02-11-2011, 07:27 PM
_AKy0qHT0iU

Not really relevant, but totally hilarious.

Mjau!
02-11-2011, 07:46 PM
_AKy0qHT0iU

Not really relevant, but totally hilarious.

This is not true. Rafa also plays golf with left hand.

romismak
02-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Hard to say- it is only theory, but i think, that he would be succesfull- why not? yes his game woulndīt be the same- his topspin and his surprising shots, passes and many other great things - for left-hander just wouldnīt he have, but still - with righ hand- what is his natural hand for doing things- his serve probably would be far better- donīt forget he is very powerfull guy, with strength so he would probably hit hard flat serves like 220km and aces, i think his serve would be definetely better, because when he was younger and must to learn serve with second hand- it take time and everything if he would train hi sserve entire life with righ-hand his ,,natural hand,, his serve would be i think drastically better, and harder, flatter. Than his strengh and endurance and psychical strengh- would be about the same level probably. So i think overall- lost topspin advantage and some of leth-handed surprise passes, and shots, but better serve and probably better accuracy of shots- because from young age he would be training the shots with his ,,natural hand,, so he would be learning everything faster, it will be easier for him to do some things- hard to say, but i think he can be maybe even so much succesfull with righ hand- when he whole life trained with righ-hand- what is his better hand- so learning process, everything must be easier for him- better and better accuraccy and feeling in hand

Filo V.
02-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Mjau, the correct answer is ************.

ballbasher101
02-12-2011, 12:25 AM
Who knows, maybe there is a Nadal in a parallel universe who plays right handed :confused:.

tsmile789
02-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Would federer be as success as a left hander??? Who knows!!!

Mjau!
02-12-2011, 12:45 AM
Mjau, the correct answer is ************.

What is this? Hangman? :scratch:

General Suburbia
02-12-2011, 02:44 AM
Important to note that the left hand forehand was a conscious decision, as he's naturally right handed. So even if he wouldn't be as successful, he can attribute his current success not to some fluke but because of something HE DID and personally worked on.

Mjau!
02-12-2011, 02:58 AM
Rafa is not right handed but ambidexterous! This is for certain a big fluke!

Sunset of Age
02-12-2011, 03:28 AM
Important to note that the left hand forehand was a conscious decision, as he's naturally right handed. So even if he wouldn't be as successful, he can attribute his current success not to some fluke but because of something HE DID and personally worked on.
Credits for the decision to make Rafa play left-handed, while he indeed is naturally right-handed, should all go to Toni Nadal, as it apparently was all his idea right from the start. Worked out pretty well I daresay!

So, as for the question originally posted, the answer is a clear and resounding "NO".

Mjau!
02-12-2011, 03:38 AM
OMG, they banned Filo! :eek:

keroni
02-12-2011, 11:12 AM
a more curious question would be posed to the recently retired Carlos Moya, who like Nadal is Majorcan, but more relevantly, does not play his forehand with his dominant hand. Moya is left-handed but plays tennis like a right-hander. So if the left handed cross-court is such an advantage, I wonder why the young Moya would make such a decision. To conform to the norm? Surely not. We have seen so many left-handed great players - they outperform the population as a group, with Laver and McEnroe and others.

n8
02-12-2011, 11:26 AM
If Nadal had the exact same shots but on the reverse side, he would still be almost unbeatable on clay in my opinion.

duong
02-12-2011, 11:30 AM
If Nadal had the exact same shots but on the reverse side, he would still be almost unbeatable on clay in my opinion.

on clay yes he would be nearly unbeatable.

As for "having the exact same shots" it's impossible imo : lefthanders' shots are just different from righthanders', esp the forehand.

Dougie
02-12-2011, 11:34 AM
a more curious question would be posed to the recently retired Carlos Moya, who like Nadal is Majorcan, but more relevantly, does not play his forehand with his dominant hand. Moya is left-handed but plays tennis like a right-hander. So if the left handed cross-court is such an advantage, I wonder why the young Moya would make such a decision. To conform to the norm? Surely not. We have seen so many left-handed great players - they outperform the population as a group, with Laver and McEnroe and others.

Itīs not like you can just choose the hand you play with. Nadal must be one in a million in the way that he ( or Toni) decided to use the weaker hand and develop on that. Itīs even more miraculous that it ended up so well for him. Most people could never pull that off.

Also, itīs not always so clear whether youīre a lefty or a righty. Iīm basically lefthanded, I write with my left hand, play tennis with my left etc. But I play golf and baseball like a righty. My point is that Moya is probably also somewhere between a total lefty and a total righty, and right hand just felt more comfortable for tennis for him.

n8
02-12-2011, 11:34 AM
on clay yes he would be nearly unbeatable.

As for "having the exact same shots" it's impossible imo : lefthanders' shots are just different from righthanders', esp the forehand.

It's funny, but it's true. Perhaps it's something to do with one's internal body not being symmetrical (like your external body tries to be). For example, your heart being more on the left side.

duong
02-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Itīs not like you can just choose the hand you play with. Nadal must be one in a million in the way that he ( or Toni) decided to use the weaker hand and develop on that. Itīs even more miraculous that it ended up so well for him. Most people could never pull that off.

Also, itīs not always so clear whether youīre a lefty or a righty. Iīm basically lefthanded, I write with my left hand, play tennis with my left etc. But I play golf and baseball like a righty. My point is that Moya is probably also somewhere between a total lefty and a total righty, and right hand just felt more comfortable for tennis for him.

also Nadal is ambidexterous, Seles was as well actually from what I know.

As for the argument "Nadal would have a better serve as a righthander", actually his lefthander's serve is not the most powerful one but its effects make it very effective actually : last year he was the player having won most of his service games whereas he was not very good on return games, quite far from the best ones.

It's true that there has been an improvement on his serve last year but he had always had quite good stats on his service games, esp has he always had one of the best 1st serve percentages, also very effective against break points, esp with his cross-court serve on "adv" side

Tennis4you-com
02-12-2011, 01:33 PM
His biggest weapon would be neutralized some as that heavy topspin cross court forehand would be directed to players forehands. He could still hit it to their backhand but it is the tougher shot to pull off and it would not drag his opponents off of the court as effectively. His forehand is nasty but it is better as a lefty forehand against right handed players.

emotion
02-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Andreev really....

Chartreuse
02-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Nope.

duong
02-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Andreev really....

yes I used to wonder if Andreev was a left or righthander : his forehand looked quite a lefthander's shot to me :lol:

Arakasi
02-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Even if he remained as effective against the field playing right-handed as he is now, the reduction in his match-up advantage with Federer would have had a significant effect on his career.

He had to beat Federer to win his first 6 slams and 6/13 of his clay masters.

Chloe le Bopper
02-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Would federer be as success as a left hander??? Who knows!!!

Given that Rafa is actually right handed, this is the more interesting question. Not that there was anything wrong with the original question, nor does it much matter what the answer to any of these are. The better question might be: How much better would *insert player here* be if they had grown up coached by Toni? ;)

Chloe le Bopper
02-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Rafa is not right handed but ambidexterous! This is for certain a big fluke!

I can't believe that I'm about to respond to somebody who writes in red italics, but here goes:

I'm naturally left handed. When I was very young, I did everything left. By the time I was 10, I used right handed scissors and bowled right, just because I was 10 and thought that pretending to be ambidextrous was cool. These days, I can write with my right hand, though not quite as well. I can play tennis right, too, but don't move as well off that side. Yet, I can no longer cut with my left hand, period, nor can I bowl off that side. This is because I'm not naturally ambidextrous; I can do different tasks with different hands because I trained myself to do so. You might call me ambidextrous, and you wouldn't be entirely wrong, but naturally I favor one side, just like 99% of the population. My point here is that to say Rafa is ambidextrous is likely not really accurate, at least not in the sense that he's naturally so; Toni pointedly trained him to play left, because Coach Toni knows his shit.

Magick
02-13-2011, 09:04 AM
I don't believe it is true that some people are 'natural' right or left handers. For whatever reason, children will decide to favour one hand and one foot over the other for most activities, and then will continue on this way the rest of their life.

However the human body is very adaptive, and if you try to teach yourself to do things with your non-dominant side, if you practice enough, it will begin to feel normal to you. Most people would be of the opinion that they write like a retard with their non-dominant hand, however if were to lose your dominant hand, it would only take a matter of months for you to feel comfortable writing with your 'other' hand. The same goes for kicking a ball, or even playing tennis. The more difficult the activity, the longer it will take obviously.

Start da Game
02-13-2011, 09:39 AM
i am loving this thread because it is bringing out so many hypocrites and acting as a base for them to let their nadal-hate flow underneath the layer of "objectivity".......

now whether i should pity their brains for believing that nadal would play topspinning forehands to opponent's forehands had he NOT played with his 'wrong' hand or should i appreciate their clueless input because that's the max they can come up with?

@op

just remember that it's all about maximizing what your talent and winning whatever you could.......whatever your motive behind this thread is, you have set up a platform for all the nadal haters to expose themselves badly and maybe you haven't succeeded with your motive.......

Magick
02-17-2011, 01:38 PM
i am loving this thread because it is bringing out so many hypocrites and acting as a base for them to let their nadal-hate flow underneath the layer of "objectivity".......

now whether i should pity their brains for believing that nadal would play topspinning forehands to opponent's forehands had he NOT played with his 'wrong' hand or should i appreciate their clueless input because that's the max they can come up with?

@op

just remember that it's all about maximizing what your talent and winning whatever you could.......whatever your motive behind this thread is, you have set up a platform for all the nadal haters to expose themselves badly and maybe you haven't succeeded with your motive.......

if the haters expose themselves, so be it.
expected answers really.

mikkemus23
02-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Yeah of course.

You can do better - would he be as successful
-with a one handed BH?
- under arm serve?
- no topspin and two handed serv (30 feet ball toss)
- no legs and a wheelchair?

i`m all yes.

duong
02-17-2011, 04:19 PM
I can't believe that I'm about to respond to somebody who writes in red italics, but here goes:

I'm naturally left handed. When I was very young, I did everything left. By the time I was 10, I used right handed scissors and bowled right, just because I was 10 and thought that pretending to be ambidextrous was cool. These days, I can write with my right hand, though not quite as well. I can play tennis right, too, but don't move as well off that side. Yet, I can no longer cut with my left hand, period, nor can I bowl off that side. This is because I'm not naturally ambidextrous; I can do different tasks with different hands because I trained myself to do so. You might call me ambidextrous, and you wouldn't be entirely wrong, but naturally I favor one side, just like 99% of the population. My point here is that to say Rafa is ambidextrous is likely not really accurate, at least not in the sense that he's naturally so; Toni pointedly trained him to play left, because Coach Toni knows his shit.

it seems that your point is that "natural" ambidextrous people are very few, you may be right for that.

But yet, from childhood, some people can access to great success with their less natural side, more success than you had, and maybe because they started much earlier (10 years old seems quite late to me ... and you did only practice a few activities with that)

It seems clear that Nadal had huge success with his left-hand :lol:

I can also say that my father can write with both hands in the meantime ... which was very impressive to seduce my mother :lol: Yet, you're right : he's always rather favoured the left side.

The funny part is that he always confuses left and right when you ask him to turn left or right, and I've heard it's very often the case with ambidextrous people (I guess that as they don't really have a favourite side, it's more difficult to have a "reference side"), I don't know if it's also the case with lefthanders who are not ambidextrous :confused:

Tomatoes11
08-30-2012, 09:31 PM
It seems like Nadal gives a lot of people trouble because lefties are rare like right handed shot defenseman in hockey is rare. So how good would he be without the advantage of making people adjust to his rare style. Discuss.

I say zero Slams and he would be a mug like Ferrer.

Ben.
08-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Do you give a right handed Nadal any futures titles? It's touch and go I think.

Lleyton_
08-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Journeyman.

Federer in 2
08-30-2012, 09:35 PM
He is right handed.

TigerTim
08-30-2012, 09:43 PM
He is right handed.

:haha: this.

But I think he will probably be serving in KFC right now if he played right handed. Futures would be beyond his league.

TBkeeper
08-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Davydenko would've spanked him even more :sport:

emotion
08-30-2012, 09:44 PM
#10ish I think
No slam

Caralimon
08-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Davydenko would've spanked him even more :sport:

More like the opposite.

Fed fordawin
08-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Better question would be: "Would Nadal give anyone trouble if not for Wise Guy Toni's preparation and ummmmmm 'influence' ont the ATP"?

The answer is no, of course.

TBkeeper
08-30-2012, 09:47 PM
More like the opposite.

Do you know that right now Davy is packing out of NYC only to fly to Nadal to return some confidence ?

GSMnadal
08-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Who cares? :zzz:

Would Federer give anyone trouble if he was left handed? No.

The_Djoker
08-30-2012, 09:48 PM
He wouldn't have won any slams outside of Clay that's for sure. And Federer would have beaten him to at least a few clay slams.

The_Djoker
08-30-2012, 09:50 PM

He would dominate even more.

EddieNero
08-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Lol Federer with a left-hand would be probably unbeatable for like 5 years in a row.
As for Nadal, I would expect him to have a Ferrersque career.

Time Violation
08-30-2012, 09:52 PM

Yup, pretty pointless. Would Federer have a good serve if he were 170 cm? Would Nole win anything if he kept his one handed backhand? Who cares :)

TigerTim
08-30-2012, 09:54 PM
if Federer was left handed :eek:

he would have 31 slams

2003: 2
2004: 4 (Unbeaten)
2005: 4 (Unbeaten)
2006: 4 (Beaten by a random mug)
2007: 4
2008: 3 (mono)
2009: 3
2010: 2
2011: 3
2012: 2

GSMnadal
08-30-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm sorry, didn't Nadal win against Federer 'because of his moonballs to Fed's backhand.'

A lefty Fed, everyone would have that benefit. Yeah, he would be unbeatable and have a gazillion slams :rolleyes:

Just have some guys use a lot of topspin and Featherer would be not just one person's pigeon. Bet Roger wouldn't have that serve if he was a lefty, more a Nadalesque serve.

Or...maybe there's just more to Nadal's victories than the fact he's a lefty

RinkaWaw
08-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Doesn't make a difference kid. Right hand, left hand, left knee, right elbow. He hits the ball with his racket. Doesn't matter what hand that racket is attached too.

stewietennis
08-30-2012, 10:33 PM
It seems like Nadal gives a lot of people trouble because lefties are rare

There are also a lot of crap lefties so this assertion goes out the window

lazybear
08-30-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm sorry, didn't Nadal win against Federer 'because of his moonballs to Fed's backhand.'

A lefty Fed, everyone would have that benefit. Yeah, he would be unbeatable and have a gazillion slams :rolleyes:

Just have some guys use a lot of topspin and Featherer would be not just one person's pigeon. Bet Roger wouldn't have that serve if he was a lefty, more a Nadalesque serve.

Roger doesn't really have much problem with left handers, he only has problems against Nadal. I don't think Roger would be so much better as a left hander, i don't think he would sit on 20 slam right now, or something like that. He would maybe have 18, or i don't know. I also don't think Nadal would be much worse as a right hander. I think he would still be a multiple slam winner, probably not 11, but 6-8, definitely, at least i think.

Dr.Slice
08-30-2012, 11:22 PM
With that work ethic, that speed and the spin he gets, yes, he would still be a major contender.

IOFH
08-30-2012, 11:44 PM
He would give Verdasco more problems, that's what matters in the end.

5-7 slams so far.

Topspindoctor
08-31-2012, 12:06 AM
If men were born with only one nut, would the world be still overpopulated today?

LaFuria
08-31-2012, 01:39 AM
If men were born with only one nut, would the world be still overpopulated today?

Maybe, but either way Nadal would still be a moonballer.

HKz
08-31-2012, 02:06 AM
Impossible question. Who is to say he would have played the exact same style if he stayed right handed? Of course growing up in Spain and on clay would have forced him to develop such a game anyways, but impossible to say if we would have had the exact style as he does now..

But either way, while obviously some of Rafa's game certainly stems from him being a lefty, I don't think it would have changed much about his success. Rafa's has been successful more because of his mental strength, footspeed and ability to hit that extra shot, and those things definitely don't matter whether you are lefty or not. Plus, his style isn't impossible to play as a righty. Look at Andreev, he has a huge topspin forehand and has given plenty of players (including Federer) trouble throughout the years, however, Andreev certainly doesn't have Rafa's intangibles. Maybe Federer could have defeated a righty Rafa more often as he would have never been pulled off the court to his backhand like Rafa exploits now and it is obviously a bit tougher to play everything entirely to a righty's backhand when you are right handed as well.

HKz
08-31-2012, 02:11 AM

It isn't like Rafa has the best backhand either. Rafa covers him backhand side with his forehand much like Federer does now anyways, and a lefty Federer would probably try to take advantage of his forehand vs righty backhand as much as possible, which could make his matches even easier because we see how he likes to challenge everyone's forehand with his forehand and he normally comes out trumps. Why would Federer revert to a more slice serve if he played lefty? Are there no such things as huge lefty servers? (Ivanisevic, Rusedski, etc)

v-money
08-31-2012, 02:27 AM
We've had this thread before on MTF.

Mods please merge with: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=177137

I think the question is impossible to answer and I had no contribution to the other thread, nor will I have one here.

Mark Lenders
08-31-2012, 02:34 AM
It seems like Nadal gives a lot of people trouble because lefties are rare like right handed shot defenseman in hockey is rare. So how good would he be without the advantage of making people adjust to his rare style. Discuss.

I say zero Slams and he would be a mug like Ferrer.

Have nothing to say on this particular subject but I agree that Ferrer is a mug :yeah:

Elaka Farmor
08-31-2012, 08:22 AM
IMO he would be 28.6% worse.

I did a calculation and got the same outcome.

bleu_cheese
08-31-2012, 08:28 AM
I did a calculation and got the same outcome.

No no. You guys are forgetting the Toni's modulus. 27.1% for sure.

Tomatoes11
08-31-2012, 08:34 AM

Ask Phil Kessel. lol He is actually a pretty crazy player still despite lacking testicular fortitude.

Looner
08-31-2012, 09:17 AM
No.

Federer in 2
08-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Have nothing to say on this particular subject but I agree that Ferrer is a mug :yeah:

Right. But Tsonga is a BOSS.

Sri
08-31-2012, 09:23 AM
You should know, do you have any kids?