Open 13 Reports [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Open 13 Reports

*Jean*
02-11-2011, 02:43 PM
I will be there for my home tournament, as every year for the past 10 years.
I will attend the tournament from tomorrow up to friday for quarterfinals day.
I will post reports every evening when back from the tournament.
Do not hesitate to post requests and I will have a look at the matches you're the most interested in. (even if my faves will pass first, of course :cool: )
If you're lucky enough, I'll find someone to lend me a good camera.

:wavey:

Aenea
02-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Yay, Jean I'll count on your info to help me win this PAW :D And if you can get me a close- up pic of Andreas :yeah:
Have fun

SelvenluvJo
02-11-2011, 05:12 PM
shoot some pics of Dimitrov ,thanks :yeah:

Jacques_Ukraine
02-11-2011, 07:34 PM
make a few pics of Ukrainians :)

*Jean*
02-13-2011, 05:24 AM
I have reports on Bemelmans/Desein, Korolev/Schukin, Niland/Ryderstedt, Sidorenko/Mektic, Struff/Burquier, Jouan/Kukushkin, Sousa/Trevisan, Roger-Vasselin/Gicquel.

Just ask what you want to hear about. ;)

soulage
02-13-2011, 11:59 AM
I would say ERV vs Gicquel. The score in the last two sets in tough for Marco and as his season is tough would be cool to have your report about his game.

theKSHE
02-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Sousa vs Trevisan report please.

*Jean*
02-13-2011, 12:23 PM
I would say ERV vs Gicquel. The score in the last two sets in tough for Marco and as his season is tough would be cool to have your report about his game.

Well, the first set won by Gicquel was just about Roger-Vasselin doing absolutely nothing but awful mistakes. Several overheads landing in the net and poor serves in general. As soon as Gicquel won the first set, Edouard started to be more agressive and let no chances to Marc, who on the contrary played worse and worse after each game. His serve especially was quite poor, especially his first serve that he was no longer pushing. He didn't even seem to bother losing that match and even joked around with Edouard after they shook hands. I think he might have been too tired from the trip to Quimper, Bretagne, in the night, since he played there at the Challenger on Friday afternoon.

Sousa vs Trevisan report please.

Not too much to say about that one actually. Trevisan retired being 0-6 2-3 down after one of the worst displays I've ever seen in a professional tournament :lol: he didn't seem to have any major problems physicly speaking, no straps, no bandages, no obvious injuries on site... Trevisan is a very muscular guy who has this unbearable habit to ask for 5 balls before each and every serve :o that + the absolutely horrendous ballboys, and no wonder each of the Italian's service game lasted aaaaages, just to get broken anyway in the end :lol: Sousa is a very thin tall young-looking player, hitting as hard as he possibly can, and yelling "C'MON" after each and every point :o His serve is quite tremendous though and his running forehand is impressive too.

I'm heading back to the tournament now after a quick lunch at home after Roger-Vasselin's win :lol:

Nidhogg
02-13-2011, 02:59 PM
How was Ryderstedt's matches? Plenty of aces from Michael, I guess.

*Jean*
02-13-2011, 06:08 PM
How was Ryderstedt's matches? Plenty of aces from Michael, I guess.

Well, yeah, his serve is amazing. He generally looks like a mini-Soderling I have to say :lol: even in the attitude and since he wears the same clothes, it's quite disturbing. :lol: His forehand is quite weird with a ridiculously wide swing à la Mayer :lol: his backhand though is absolutely beautiful, especially when down the line. I have to admit that he's been helped a lot by Niland's inconsistency and numerous double faults. He just missed some key opportunities today against Sidorenko but he plays much better than his ranking says.

Today, I have reports for : Bemelmans/Schukin, Sidorenko/Ryderstedt, Jouan/Struff, Roger-Vasselin/Struff.

Just ask what you want to hear about.

Aenea
02-13-2011, 06:13 PM
I am interested in Alexandre and his chances making it into MD :wavey:

Horatio Caine
02-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Any sightings of the main draw French guys?

Interesting reports, thanks for sharing. :)

*Jean*
02-13-2011, 06:19 PM
^ well, he's lucky to be in the final qualifying round to be honest. He played horrible today against Ryderstedt. It was most of the time a battle of servers, especially considering Ryderstedt's bomb in first serve. From the baseline, he was overpowered by the Swede, and above all, could not move around the left-handed opponent's backhand which is just amazing. Alexandre was a little bit slow too, and had this bitchy attitude, throwing rackets and arguing with everyone, including some poor ballboys! In the deciding tie-break, he got some luck with two netcalls and a double fault from Ryderstedt. He celebrated the win moaning and complaining, talking to the chair umpire for a good two minutes.
Considering Roger-Vasselin's form today, I would say that Sidorenko's chances are not in his favors if he plays as he did today and yesterday.

*Jean*
02-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Any sightings of the main draw French guys?

Interesting reports, thanks for sharing. :)

Unfortunately, it is impossible to acceed to any of the practise courts. :rolleyes:
The only glimpse to the players out of the match courts are when they walk from the locker room to the cars outside the stadium. I've seen Arnaud Clément, Nicolas Mahut and Julien Benneteau today, taking time to sign autographs. ;)

Aenea
02-13-2011, 06:24 PM
thx.
Did you hear anything about Simon? Is he OK? Fit to play?

*Jean*
02-13-2011, 06:35 PM
thx.
Did you hear anything about Simon? Is he OK? Fit to play?

No, I didn't see him at all. I heard he was due to receive a wild card in doubles but it seems that Roger-Vasselin & Paire received it instead. I don't know if Gilles was due to play with one of them there. But I don't see him withdrawing in singles for that particular reason.

Björki
02-13-2011, 06:37 PM
so what do you think who will qualify for the MD?

rudylegh
02-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Unfortunately, it is impossible to acceed to any of the practise courts. :rolleyes:
The only glimpse to the players out of the match courts are when they walk from the locker room to the cars outside the stadium. I've seen Arnaud Clément, Nicolas Mahut and Julien Benneteau today, taking time to sign autographs. ;)

as regards shape and sensations, what are the chances for Llodra and Tsonga.. ?

*Jean*
02-14-2011, 04:14 AM
so what do you think who will qualify for the MD?

If Bemelmans decide to finally play, he will beat Kumantsov with no problem.
Jouan is playing just amazing so far, he could well beat Schoorel who has been far from being impressive thus far.
Roger-Vasselin is I think in a better position than Sidorenko to reach the MD, once again accordingly to what they've shown this week-end.
And Texeira should be an easy task for Bohli.

as regards shape and sensations, what are the chances for Llodra and Tsonga.. ?

Difficult to say honestly, but considering Llodra's recent form, I don't see him getting through his tough draw. As for Tsonga, he has a nice draw, so at least semifinals are expected I guess. :D

vavavoom
02-14-2011, 03:13 PM
I'll be visiting the tournament for the first time later this week :) I've read plenty of things about Marseille itself but don't really know what to expect until I get there.

What's the venue like? and I know some tournaments are quite fussy when it comes to taking photographs, is it a problem here?

*Jean*
02-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Yeah definitely. Indoor tournaments are always tough with cameras, but here it's even worse. I can't take any good pictures at all, especially on Court 1 which is more like a hangar than a tennis facility.
The venue in itself is quite poor too, especially when compared to all the indoor tournaments I've visited. And the fact that you have to spend 5 minutes walking from Center Court to Court 1 is quite a pain in the ass too! And to be honest, be careful with yourself, the district in which the tournament is is one of the worst in Marseille :p
Which days are you coming? If you need help, don't hesitate.

Here I go back to my Ukrainians match (that's the advantage to live 3 minutes away from the venue).

I have reports on Kumantsov/Bemelmans, Jouan/Schoorel & Roger-Vasselin/Sidorenko + Stakhovsky/Marchenko & Dimitrov/Tursunov when I'm back home tonight. ;)

vavavoom
02-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Yeah definitely. Indoor tournaments are always tough with cameras, but here it's even worse. I can't take any good pictures at all, especially on Court 1 which is more like a hangar than a tennis facility.
The venue in itself is quite poor too, especially when compared to all the indoor tournaments I've visited. And the fact that you have to spend 5 minutes walking from Center Court to Court 1 is quite a pain in the ass too! And to be honest, be careful with yourself, the district in which the tournament is is one of the worst in Marseille :p
Which days are you coming? If you need help, don't hesitate.

Here I go back to my Ukrainians match (that's the advantage to live 3 minutes away from the venue).

I have reports on Kumantsov/Bemelmans, Jouan/Schoorel & Roger-Vasselin/Sidorenko + Stakhovsky/Marchenko & Dimitrov/Tursunov when I'm back home tonight. ;)

Thanks for the info :) I'll be there for the day session on Friday & the semis on Saturday. How far is the Metro stop from the venue itself? Google maps says it's pretty close, but I just hope it's close enough not to get lost anywhere on the way :lol:

And is it the tournament itself who have rules against cameras or is it just hard to get pictures because of bad lighting etc.?

Thanks for your help again :)

philosophicalarf
02-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the thread Jean, interesting stuff.

*Jean*
02-15-2011, 04:46 AM
Thanks for the info :) I'll be there for the day session on Friday & the semis on Saturday. How far is the Metro stop from the venue itself? Google maps says it's pretty close, but I just hope it's close enough not to get lost anywhere on the way :lol:

And is it the tournament itself who have rules against cameras or is it just hard to get pictures because of bad lighting etc.?

Thanks for your help again :)

When you get out of the metro station, you basically have to turn your heels the other way around, and you'll see the stadium. You even have an underground way with "STADE" written so that you don't have to cross the large boulevard. :p

*Jean*
02-15-2011, 05:07 AM
MONDAY 14 FEBRUARY

1)
I. Marchenko 4 3
S. Stakhovsky 6 6

Sergiy was by far the best player out there, dominating absolutely all of the rallies from the baseline, and also not hesitating to close the rallies at the net with some impressive volleys. He wobbles in the early stages of the match, maybe just for the time to get used to his opponent (whom I guess he knows well) and to the court. Marchenko was in an early lead in the first games of the first set, then suddenly collasped. Against a better player, Sergiy would have lost that first set, but there he went back from a break down to 6-4 after breaking Illya's serve in the last game of the set. After that, it was just an attempt to survive in the match for Marchenko, was was not serving well at all and was complaining about it. Stakhovsky even tried some risky returns and some of them paid off with some clean down the line forehand & backhand winners. Marchenko, maybe because being powerless, did not say a word and just looked down all match long, as if not trying to fight back. Stakhovsky did not celebrate after match point, they coldly shook hands, and Marchenko almost ran out of the court.

2)
G. Dimitrov 7 5 6
D. Tursunov 6 7 7

MUGFEST + BITCHFEST = amazing match!
Those two are said to be close friends, but you couldn't tell from what the match looked like. Grigor is just a little kid complaining, moaning and throwing his racket, and suddenly pumping his fist and yelling louds COME ONs on Dmitry's huge unforced errors. The first set was a serve battle, Grigor just prevailing in time to win the tie-break 76(6) (not sure if Tursu had set points or not). The second set was even more entertaining, and some of the rallies were just tremendous. Tursunov was hitting harder and harder and came to the net more often, disturbing Dimitrov's tactics. I think at 4-3*, Dimitrov had a couple a break points which would have allowed him to serve for the match but Dimitrov saved them both: the Russian broke at 5-5 and then held his serve to make it 67 75. The final set was a total bitchfest, both players celebrating each and every point, challenging each and every close calls (you have to understand them, seeing how horrible the linespersons are). Grigor spent more time complaining to his coach than staying focus. In the closing stages of the match, Dmitry suddenly decided to be a moonballer, forcing Dimitrov on his backfoot: a clever mix of sliced backhands, moonballs, dropshots, volleys, allowed Tursunov to take the upper hand in the closing stages of the match. He didn't celebrate after match point though, and a warm handshake closed this nice battle which ended very late and in front of fewer and fewer spectators.

3)
A. Kumantsov 6 7
R. Bemelmans 4 6

As I had planned, Ruben would have won if he had played his real level. He was lucky to get through his first two qualifying rounds, but Kumantsov was solid enough to prevail a choke in the second set. Ruben didn't look especially motivated and Kumantsov often overpowered the Belgian from the baseline, hitting an incalculable number of down the line winners, whether on the forehand or the backhand side. His serve is quite heavy too and Ruben struggled to deal with it. Bemelmans's serve was, just like saturday and sunday, off, and he lacked realism in key moments. He had to face several break points and suddenly managed to find a good first serve and a nice shot, but through the match as a whole, his performance was quite poor. Kumantsov celebrated the win with a huge COME ON and was awarded with a kiss from her girlfriend who is one of the loudest supporters I've ever heard :lol:

4)
R. Jouan 5 6
T. Schoorel 7 7

Just a matter of inexperience I guess, since once again, Jouan was very impressive. His backhand is just WOW. His serve today was not as good as yesterday, especially since Schoorel is a very good returner. I noticed that he always makes 3 or 4 steps forward between the moment when his opponent threw his ball and the moment the racket hit the ball so that the Dutch is often within the limits of the court when returning. That was the key today since the match as a whole was a battle of ballbashers: many unforced errors. Schoorel's permanent COME ONs are annoying, especially when they arise after a double fault from his opponent. Jouan was disgusted with himself. I heard him talking to his entourage at the end of the match, and he just commented that if he had taken the few opportunities he had, he would have won. Good clue, Sherlock!

5)
E. Roger-Vasselin 6 6
A. Sidorenko 3 3

Edouard is playing very solid tennis since the beginning of the tournament. Sidorenko had no answer to Edou's variation, slices, and dropshots. He reminds me of Santoro when he plays that way, which is I think his best solution since he lacks pure power, especially as opposed to Sidorenko's ballbashing tactics. Sidorenko's serve was even worse than yesterday, and above all, his bitchy attitudes are one of the worst I've seen on ATP matches. Throwing balls out of the court, throwing his racket, intimidating ballboys/linespersons/chair umpires... He received a warning for "language abuse" which was quite funny since I can understand what he said when the British chair umpire (the brother of Anne Keothavong) obviously didn't :lol:
Roger-Vasselin stayed calm all match long and let the storm pass when he faced a few problems to close the match. I think he has a good shot against Clement in the MD now.

Smoke944
02-15-2011, 05:07 AM
Could I have your reports on Korolev/Schukin and Jouan's matches?

*Jean*
02-15-2011, 05:10 AM
TUESDAY 15 FEBRUARY

OOP
Matches I'm gonna watch for sure :
Fleming/Hutchins v Aspelin/Hanley
Melzer/Petzschner v Bednarek/Golubev
Tsonga/Paire

Quite a poor OOP :o

*Jean*
02-15-2011, 05:15 AM
Could I have your reports on Korolev/Schukin and Jouan's matches?

You will find Jouan's match reports on the post above.
As far as Korolev/Schukin is concerned, that was a battle of the opposites. Schukin, who weirdly looks like Stepanek, is a solid baseliner, hitting hard and resting on his opponent's pace. Korolev is a ballbasher so that Schukin had to wait for Korolev to hit an unforced error. Evgeny was trailing 2-5 in the first set but eventually won it 7-6. The second set was a battle of serves, and Schukin broke at 5-5. From that point on, Korolev no longer tried to do anything but hitting harder and harder: tremendous winners and horrendous errors came from his racket, as expected. Schukin just walked though this final set, winning it 6-2. The moment of the day was when Korolev and Schukin changed shirts at the same time: Korolev is a muscular tiny hot young boy when Schukin is a older hairy chubby man :lol: nice match in that part of the game :lol:

Aenea
02-15-2011, 07:37 AM
I just noticed Schoorel was 7'3" :eek: at that height I guess if he went closer to the net he could cover the entire court. Does he move well, does he go to the net? What is his style of play? Serve? I don't think I have ever seen him play.

P.S. This Schoorel guy will be scratched forever from my book. Pathetic player. 2ndS points won 1/13 (8%).

abollo
02-15-2011, 05:30 PM
I just noticed Schoorel was 7'3" :eek: at that height I guess if he went closer to the net he could cover the entire court. Does he move well, does he go to the net? What is his style of play? Serve? I don't think I have ever seen him play.

P.S. This Schoorel guy will be scratched forever from my book. Pathetic player. 2ndS points won 1/13 (8%).

he's actually 6,8

Aenea
02-16-2011, 09:12 AM
he's actually 6,8

yes, I checked his profile again and now it says 6'8" but I swear yesterday it was 7'3". maybe it was a mistake :unsure:

*Jean*
02-16-2011, 04:01 PM
well, to answer your question, he's just a new Karlovic/Isner, unable to do many things from the baseline.

Had a few problems yesterday, could not go to the tournament.

I've just left Clément/Mahut leading their doubles match. So far today, I've seen Ljubicic/Golubev, Petzschner/Gulbis, Clément/Roger-Vasselin & Tsonga/Stakhovsky.

Funny stuff to come about Gulbis :lol:

Björki
02-16-2011, 04:33 PM
tell us please :D

*Jean*
02-16-2011, 07:27 PM
Back from the courts after Grigor & Dmitry lost the first set in doubles. Too tired to watch Mugzer/Sepmugzi. :o

Clement v Roger-Vasselin
Not much too say, really. Arnaud was overpowered by Edouard, which is, to say the least, quite sad! Arnaud's serve was worse than usually, his second serve barely reaching his opponent. Since the beginning of his qualifying campaign, Edouard seems in total confidence, never doubting, and using well his variated game, full of mixity. Clement struggled to return ERV's serve, which was quite good today, at least better than his usual standards. Clement ventured a couple of times to the net, but failed to encounter any kind of success there. RV's passing shots and low shots succeded in forcing Clement into failing. Quite a cold hanshake in the net, I'm not sure Clement is really motivated anymore, and with such a performance, a soon retirement is to be expected IMO. Very good performance overall from Edouard, who will have the tough task to play Berdych tomorrow.

Ljubicic/Golubev
No problem from the Croat, much much helped by Andrey's poor performance. His serve was absolutely off today, the proof being that he spent the whole match practising and reproducing service motions. From the baseline, he was far from being ridiculous - that's supposed to be his best assets - but could not handle at all Ljubicic's serve. Ljubicic appeared to be quite calm and never doubting about the end of the match, even it is noted that he played less and less good as the match unfolded. Tursu shouldn't be a problem next time around.

Tsonga v Stakhovsky
Such a shame Sergiy couldn't close the match. He was playing very well today, much better than in his first round match against fellow Ukrainian Marchenko. He served solid throughout the whole match, never allowing Tsonga to attempt any of his typical hard returns of serve. Stakhovsky had a few good tries at the net, closing some key rallies there. After he took the first set, everyone could really smell the upset, especially since Tsonga had been playing on Sunday at Rotterdam after a tough week, and a R1 match on Tuesday. That's a lot of tennis for his standards! Tsonga had his usual moaning sessions, complaining and yelling at each occasions. Stakhovsky was on the other hand the usual calm and composed player, taking a lot of time between the points and never getting angry. After having lost the second set after a series of horrible UEs, he suddenly became passive in the final set, and his loss looked more and more inevitable, especially since Tsonga was really fired up as the match unfolded. I wouldn't say that JWT will have a cool time in the quarters, whether he plays Simon or Youzhny.

Bednarek/Golubev v Cilic/Zovko
Something I had never seen before - except for the Bondarenko sisters - in a doubles match, members of a time arguing during the actual match. According to what a friend of mine told me about Bednarek/Golubev R1 win, Bednarek, despite the fact that he is supposed to be a doubles specialist, was the weakest link, so that the opponents played everything on him. That was the case today, and you could tell that Cilic & Zovko had a smart pleasure hitting everything back on the Polish player. Golubev tried to compensate and played for the team literaly on his own, Bednarek missing absolutely everything. The Pole is quite bitchy on the court, throwing rackets and insulting everyone he is in contact with. Weirdly enough, Golubev was the best player on the court today :lol: the two games his team scored was thanks to him, and not only thanks to his serve, but thanks to inspired passing shots and lobs. Cilic's tremendous serve was the key today though, and Zovko is, from what I've seen today, not especially gifted at the net. Weird match overall, and as I said, huge argument on the bench between the Pole & the Kazakh during and after the match, the two men walking out of the court separately...Not sure these two will play together again.

Clement/Mahut v Brunstrom/Marx
Just watched the first set. No problem for the Frenchmen who were more in a demonstration than in a real match, and they still won it in straight sets, so quite a good sign. Clement was really fired up, motivated, pumping his fist. The atmosphere was extraordinary, with Mahut being his usual clown on the court. Clement & Mahut laughed the whole match when Brunstrom & Marw were obviously not liking it at all. I had no idea Brunstrom was such a rude guy, throwing balls directly on the chest of their opponents, moaning to the umpire at each occasion. Marx is an average doubles player, quite gifted at the net - even if he once missed the ball when having to hit a super easy overhead, something to which Brunstrom reacted by nodding and complaining to his coach, nice attitude, huhu - but from the baseline, the German is absolutely horrible, missing by far some easy forehands, landing at the bottom of the net or at the top of fences. I left when the Frenchmen lead 7-6. The second set won 6-1 is not a surprise according to what I saw.

Gulbis v Petzschner
...or should I say, the Gulbis Show. The guy is crazy, we know that right, but today was a bitchfest at his best! Ernests is famous for complaining and kicking himself after each and every error. Today, his rackets spent more time flying and hitting the ground than hitting tennis balls. He tried a new combination of frustration gestures: throwing the racket, trying to pick it up, failing to do so, pretending it's a balloon and destroying it by foot. :yeah: I had never seen that before! He also hid his face in his shirt and stood like that for a full minute, so that the umpire went for a "Are you okay Ernests ?", to which he answered "Yeah, can't you tell I'm fine ?". Petzschner had fun moonballing, slicing everything back, not missing any of his volleys, which you can imagine drove the Letton even crazier. The most surprising aspect of Gulbis's furor was that he found ways to complaing when hitting some superb winners. And you can easily imagine what the awful ballboys-girls and linesmen-women endured, having to bear some absolutely hilarious death stares. After having lost the first set, he just turned into an error maching, sending every balls everywhere but on the court. I didn't manage to catch his coach, but he must have been destroyed at his student's performance. As a fan of Ernests, I quickly understood that it would be more a comic performance than a real match, and on that I can't say he disappointed me.
Not much to say about Petzschner then, who was one of the medused spectator and who just walked through the match really.

Dimitrov/Tursunov v Benneteau/Tsonga
Amazing match there, with all four players joking around. You had to wonder whether it was a R1 match or an exhibition. Grigor & Dmitry were absolutely hilarious, even trying some weird tactics (Grigor standing on the same side to Dmitry when Dmitry served, Tsonga finding it easy to smash a return down the line on the empty space, Tursunov joking and carrying Dimitrov on the other service box :lol: ). More a practice match than a real competition there.