Munching the carpet (Euro indoor season) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Munching the carpet (Euro indoor season)

tangerine_dream
09-26-2004, 06:22 PM
:angel:

Who or what will be standing in Andy's way during the Euro indoor season? Last year his results were OK (two semi's), but he's never won on carpet. What gives?

TMS Madrid, Spain
Massu took Andy out in Round 16 :rolleyes:

Basel, Switzerland
Fat David knocked Andy out in the semis 5-7 5-7

TMS Paris, France
Tim Henman also rubbed Andy out in the semis 6-7(4) 6-7(7)

This year, he's adding Thailand to the carpet :banana: (he's never been here, has he?) and instead of Basel, he's going to Stockholm to try to steal Mardy's title away from him. :p

So how do his chances look this year? Think he can pick up any titles? :cool:

Deboogle!.
09-26-2004, 06:25 PM
He certainly should be able to win one of the 4 tournaments he's playing. I don't see him winning in Thailand b/c the field is real strong and he'll be way jet-lagged but he could certainly pick up either of the two TMS tourneys or Stockholm.

Golfnduck
09-26-2004, 06:48 PM
I think he can win at least one title. I'm hoping he still goes to the Thai open. He might not the way he is serving against Skrypko.

Deboogle!.
09-26-2004, 06:51 PM
he's gonna go to Thailand, even PMac was saying that he might not play this dead rubber b/c of his trip. If he were to pull out now then serious :retard: problems :help:

Andy's game should be pefectly suited for quick indoor courts. I see no reason why he shouldn't have a strong indoor season. But that doesn't mean he WILL have a strong indoor season... :o

Havok
09-26-2004, 07:04 PM
He's got to learn how to play more flat off his forehand when playing on carpet. At the USO, he was hitting more flat shots than I've ever seen him hit, so it's a good sign. Don't know how he'll do during the indoor swing, it's all up to him.

superpinkone37
09-26-2004, 07:50 PM
i think andy should be able to win one of the tournaments. the thailand one is probably not the one, for the reasons you guys have already said, i dont need to post them again. but at least andy should be able to make the transistion to the indoor season and get in some good matches.

Jennay
09-26-2004, 09:08 PM
Andy should be able to pick up any of the four tournaments he will be playing in, and he has no reason not to.

Big fat mean Andy :fiery: Don't take away Mardy's tournament in Stockholm just because he got a medal and you didn't ;) :nerner:

Deboogle!.
09-26-2004, 09:58 PM
but Mardy is not even playing in Stockholm :haha:

tangerine_dream
09-26-2004, 09:59 PM
Why wouldn't Mardy go to Stockholm to defend his title? :eek:

Deboogle!.
09-26-2004, 10:02 PM
I dunno, St. Petersburg paid him more???

martirogi
09-26-2004, 10:55 PM
roddick was tired last year from the us open title and all the press stuff last year, he'll def be ready to take a couple titles this year

Havok
09-26-2004, 10:57 PM
martirogi I LOVE your avatar:drool: Too bad we won't see that doubles team ever again on the tour.:tears:

andyroxmysox12191
09-26-2004, 11:31 PM
i am suprised that mardy isn't going to defend his title at stockholm. i thought he was gonna but obviously not. lol

Jennay
09-27-2004, 01:00 AM
but Mardy is not even playing in Stockholm :haha:
Uhhh :retard: What an idiot. :smash:

Deboogle!.
09-27-2004, 01:12 AM
I'm sure Mardy was just PAID more to go to St. Petersburg. He's not taking that week off or anything, he just decided to play somewhere else. It happens all the time - like Andy is playing Stockholm instead of Basel which he had played for three years. It's all $$$$$$$$ lol

Register
09-27-2004, 01:16 AM
I'm sure Mardy was just PAID more to go to St. Petersburg. He's not taking that week off or anything, he just decided to play somewhere else. It happens all the time - like Andy is playing Stockholm instead of Basel which he had played for three years. It's all $$$$$$$$ lol

Maybe, but i dont know many tournaments who will pay a appearence fee to Mardy Fish.

Dirk
09-27-2004, 01:40 AM
Naldo the spice girls were the best. :drool: I miss them very much.

star
09-27-2004, 02:21 AM
i am suprised that mardy isn't going to defend his title at stockholm. i thought he was gonna but obviously not. lol

Maybe Andy and Mardy need "a break." :)

Deboogle!.
09-27-2004, 02:22 AM
:spit: :haha: it's a good thing I swallowed my water as this page was loading :)

tangerine_dream
09-27-2004, 02:54 AM

:spit: :haha: :bigcry:

Does anyone know if any of these indoor matches will be telecast? I don't think we'll see any of Thailand but I recall that last year ESPN was kind enough to show us one hour of the Paris finals at 2:30 in the morning. :o

Deboogle!.
09-27-2004, 03:02 AM
Thailand will actually be on TTC (the SF and F I beileve), as well as the AMS tourneys in Madrid and Paris. I think we'll have to stick with ESPN's 1-hour in the middle of the night recaps, though :(

ESPN2:

10-25-2004 01:30 am 02:30 am 2004 ATP Masters Madrid Highlights
at Madrid, , Spain

11-08-2004 01:30 am 02:30 am 2004 BNP Paribas Masters Highlights
at Paris, , France

(Btw, I see we're getting most of TMC Houston tape-delayed AGAIN :rolleyes: )

superpinkone37
09-27-2004, 03:03 AM

LMFAO!! :spit:

superpinkone37
09-27-2004, 03:06 AM
Thailand will actually be on TTC (the SF and F I beileve), as well as the AMS tourneys in Madrid and Paris. I think we'll have to stick with ESPN's 1-hour in the middle of the night recaps, though :(

ESPN2:
at Madrid, , Spain

at Paris, , France

Deb are these times eastern? just wondering....and i hate it when everything is just on TTC. :mad: and the TMC-- why must they always have it tape delayed? that is sooo dumb...

Deboogle!.
09-27-2004, 03:10 AM
yes Eastern... and yes TTC DIEEEEEEEEE!

tangerine_dream
09-27-2004, 03:15 AM
Did anyone else notice that this time around Andy did not pose next to the rigged Getronics gun when he hit that 155mph serve? :lol:

andyroxmysox12191
09-27-2004, 03:17 AM
:haha: star!!!! :rolls:

Deboogle!.
09-27-2004, 03:17 AM
LOL Actually I did think of that. I wonder why :scratch: ;)

Havok
09-27-2004, 03:44 AM
This is when I start to "love" my TSN coverage. Though I would trade it in for some damn WTA.:tape:

Sjengster
09-29-2004, 12:43 PM
Roddick's lack of success indoors shows that his problems are not just surface-related when he crosses the pond. That said, when you leave aside the unfortunate loss to the Raccoon he did get taken out by the two Top 10ers who play him best after Federer, Henman and Nalbandian (both of whom are very strong indoors). I thought for sure he was going to take the Paris title last year when I watched him beat one of the game's best returners in Bjorkman without facing a single breakpoint or losing a single point in the tiebreak (an example of a match that wasn't as close as the scoreboard suggested), but Henman had other ideas.

star
09-29-2004, 01:25 PM

ESPN2:

at Madrid, , Spain

at Paris, , France

So, once again, I am wondering about getting VOOM. Someone warned me off the satellite dishes. She lives in an area where she can't get cable, so she has to rely on satellite. She told me that sometimes when there is heavy cloud cover, like there is sometimes in the winter, the the dish isn't able to get the signal. This irritates her because those are the times she would like to have T.V. She thinks cable is more reliable. So, I'm really torn.

But then again, I really don't like indoor tennis. Even when I'm just looking at the T.V. screen, it just looks smelly. I can almost smell the indoor arena smell and the lighting is all icky. I think they should just have all those fall tournaments played in the southern hemisphere where they can play outside. :)

ataptc
09-29-2004, 01:50 PM
But then again, I really don't like indoor tennis. Even when I'm just looking at the T.V. screen, it just looks smelly. I can almost smell the indoor arena smell and the lighting is all icky.

LOL :lol: :lol:

and i dont see why andy shouldnt be able to win at least one of the indoor tournaments.. hmm i'm thinking stockholm ;)

Havok
09-29-2004, 02:25 PM
I know star, I can't stand indoor tennis as well. Just looks gross and weird. Some of those stadiums made for the smaller events are prett funny, with like curtains separating each court.:haha: Even the big TMS stadiums just look wrong. One question though, is it really possible to play on carpet, but outside rather than inside?

star
09-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Well, see, I just think carpet shouldn't be a surface. That makes the icky smells I imagine even more icky. ewwwwwww I mean.. ... Nothing worse than smelly carpet.

heya
09-30-2004, 03:39 AM
Anything that could go wrong with Andy did go wrong.
He should give up tennis, so nobody (pals or enemies) would lie constantly about him. :unsure:
I read a British Henman fan's complaint about Andy's pale skin color. Isn't that cute?

hahaha @Bjorkman

superpinkone37
09-30-2004, 04:17 AM
Well, see, I just think carpet shouldn't be a surface. That makes the icky smells I imagine even more icky. ewwwwwww I mean.. ... Nothing worse than smelly carpet.

eeeewwwww smelly carpet, ugh :lol: