Mehhhh

:D

FlameOn
02-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Brian. :o

scoobs
02-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Riiiight.

What exactly is Hewitt's motivation these days?

GlennMirnyi
02-11-2011, 12:40 AM
:lol:

Losing a set to Dabul. :haha:

emotion
02-11-2011, 12:44 AM
horrible match

StevoTG
02-11-2011, 12:48 AM
Lleyton, you really pulled that one out of your ass. Hopefully he pulls up well and can lift it against Del Potro or Lacko.

The forehand and backhand weren't working near full capacity, but he played some nice serve and volley at times.

Cmon Hewitt! :)

*Hewitt managed 5 lets for two serves/points at one stage early-ish in the match.

Luinir
02-11-2011, 01:09 AM
Riiiight.

What exactly is Hewitt's motivation these days?

He seems motivated, actually. He was yelling his famous "come on!" after saving every break point.

Brian was up a break in the second set but got broken back fastly. After losing the second set dramatically, he fought very well in the third but couldn't grab the break at 2-2 on Lleyton's serve after wasting 4BPs.

Brian played really good tennis, especially in the first set. Lleyton was mediocre. I don't see him beating Lacko or Del Potro in QF.

StevoTG
02-11-2011, 01:53 AM
Also, I think this goes along with what Lleyton was saying about focusing only on the big events. He seemed at times to be using the match to try a few things out. He tried to be aggressive in the first set but made a rake of UE's. After going down a brake in the second he went into compete mode (which he had to, because he wasn't striking the ball well enough to beat Dabul outright), but still kept up with plenty of S&V. I'd like to see him try the backhand down the line more often but it's not a shot that he seems to have confidence in.

I'm not worried by a below par performance, as everybody has them. I was worried by him occasionally tending to his right knee. Though that seemed to stop in the third set. If he pulls up well then I'd expect a better performance in the next round.

Pipsy
02-11-2011, 02:25 AM
The forehand and backhand weren't working near full capacity, but he played some nice serve and volley at times.

After going down a brake in the second he went into compete mode (which he had to, because he wasn't striking the ball well enough to beat Dabul outright), but still kept up with plenty of S&V.

Interesting stuff.

It could be said that the thing that separates the great players of the game from the good players is their versatility. I was reading a post on another thread earlier about how Sampras generally came forward to the net more later on in his career but still carried on winning.

It's interesting because, although Hewitt's had decent volleying skills throughout his career, he was always more of a baseliner. Using S&V tactics to win a match having dropped a set shows us that he is truly a versatile player, and arguably one of the greats of the 2000s.

Ad Wim
02-11-2011, 07:04 AM
Also, I think this goes along with what Lleyton was saying about focusing only on the big events. He seemed at times to be using the match to try a few things out. He tried to be aggressive in the first set but made a rake of UE's. After going down a brake in the second he went into compete mode (which he had to, because he wasn't striking the ball well enough to beat Dabul outright), but still kept up with plenty of S&V. I'd like to see him try the backhand down the line more often but it's not a shot that he seems to have confidence in.

I'm not worried by a below par performance, as everybody has them. I was worried by him occasionally tending to his right knee. Though that seemed to stop in the third set. If he pulls up well then I'd expect a better performance in the next round.

That's good to hear. He is using these events to get rhytm and finetune his game for the big events. Hope he beats Del Potro, he should actually.

bad gambler
02-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Hewitt v Del Pony should be a good match

Expect Hewitt to raise his game in that one