Rotterdam R2: Söderling escapes Kohlschreiber 6-3 5-7 7-6 (7) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rotterdam R2: Söderling escapes Kohlschreiber 6-3 5-7 7-6 (7)

jonas
02-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Well, that sure was ugly. :help:
Good drama, though.
Kohli had MP at 7-6* in the tiebreak, but finished the match with an awful FH in the net.
Repeat of last year's final in the QF against Youhzny.

http://i56.tinypic.com/35hk3t5.png

Chiakifug
02-10-2011, 09:37 PM
The adversity being his shit returning everytime he went ahead in return games, which was nearly every one, especially in the second set :inlove: Could have won 6-3 6-2.

He showed good top 4 guts today :hearts: A real top 4 player.

_Chaz
02-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Ouh... huge relief Söderking somehow won this.

3rd set was unreal from both in the end, especially the TB was great!

Young 8
02-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Soderling tried to CHOKE hard

scarecrows
02-10-2011, 09:38 PM
dramatic ending

Kolhi saved MP at 4-6* with a sick backhand cross passing shot and Soda saved MP at *6-7 with 2 big forehands

scoobs
02-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Shame Kohli couldn't pull this one out - he stayed a lot tougher than I thought he would.

STUHL
02-10-2011, 09:39 PM
This is so sad :sad:

Again coming this close and not able to get it. Soda severd incredible at the End!

Voo de Mar
02-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Oh fuck, amazing H2H :crazy: I don't believe Soderling managed to keep concentration after blowing a double match point in the tie-break to avoid the third defeat against Kohli having two match points in the 3rd set tie-break. I don't know a H2H where a player beat the other one 3 times being a match point down, Kohli was so close today...

2005 's-Hertogenbosch - 2R - Grass - Kohlschreiber 6-4 4-6 7-6(9) - 2 mp
2008 Cincinnati - 3R - Hard - Kohlschreiber 7-6(4) 5-7 7-6(8) - 2 mp
2011 Rotterdam - 2R - Indoor - Soderling 6-3 5-7 7-6(7) - 1 mp

Jomp1
02-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Pretty good match. Robin should've won the second set, Kohlschreiber probably should have won the third.

djb84xi
02-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Honestly I thought Kohlschreiber would come back to win this one, but I guess it wasn't meant to be this time around. I'd like to see him work on timing his shots better, because that kinda hurt him at certain points of the match. Sod hung in there, and got the win. Certainly wasn't easy though by any means.

henke007
Fed would be proud of all those wasted Bp.s and 0-30.s. Robin wasted tons of energy most mentally, i think Youzhny likes this.

Orka_n
Soderling tried to CHOKE hardNo. Kohli played well. People here really have no idea what a choke is.

Anyway, entertaining match overall. Kohli played great in set 2 and 3, taking risks and putting constant pressure on Robin... but Sod was too clutch in the end.

Robin :yeah:
Philipp :hatoff:

djb84xi
02-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Oh fuck, amazing H2H :crazy: I don't believe Soderling managed to keep concentration after blowing a double match point in the tie-break to avoid the third defeat against Kohli having two match points in the 3rd set tie-break. I don't know a H2H where a player beat the other 3 times being a match point down, Kohli was so close today...

He was close. I love that he competes well. I think if he had a better game at the net, that certainly may have helped him pull it out. I think he'll bounce back from this though.

_Chaz
02-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Fed would be proud of all those wasted Bp.s and 0-30.s. Robin wasted tons of energy most mentally, i think Youzhny likes this.

Yes, he should have taken one of the three BPs in the 2nd set. Sod was by far the better player until around 4-4 in the 2nd set, then Kohli stepped it up.
Hopefully Robin won't be too tired tomorrow...

jonas
02-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Oh fuck, amazing H2H :crazy: I don't believe Soderling managed to keep concentration after blowing a double match point in the tie-break to avoid the third defeat against Kohli having two match points in the 3rd set tie-break. I don't know a H2H where a player beat the other one 3 times being a match point down, Kohli was so close today...

That sure is something. :eek: Crazy times indeed.

DrJules
02-10-2011, 09:45 PM
The adversity being his shit returning everytime he went ahead in return games, which was nearly every one, especially in the second set :inlove: Could have won 6-3 6-2.

He showed good top 4 guts today :hearts: A real top 4 player.

He came within a point of losing his top 4 status.

Certinfy
02-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Fucking loved this match :worship:

Robin :bounce: Philipp :sad:

scoobs
02-10-2011, 09:46 PM

Wow - love it - 3 consecutive matches going beyond 6-6 in a final set breaker :bounce: Crazy.

Voo de Mar
02-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Wow - love it - 3 consecutive matches going beyond 6-6 in a final set breaker :bounce: Crazy.

:yeah: Only the 2nd round of a '500' tournament but their H2H is historical in some sense.

henke007
02-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Yes, he should have taken one of the three BPs in the 2nd set. Sod was by far the better player until around 4-4 in the 2nd set, then Kohli stepped it up.
Hopefully Robin won't be too tired tomorrow...

Hopefully Robin can play out more freely now when the 1st round and this mental madness going in with 0-3 and almost dropping a sure thing is over and done with.....

STUHL
02-10-2011, 09:48 PM
The Backhand Pass on MP Soderling will be rememberd! Thats why i'm a fan of Kohli!

Chiakifug
02-10-2011, 09:49 PM
He came within a point of losing his top 4 status.

Exactly. And he still won.

Top 4 guts, something Mugray is lacking.

Ertl93
02-10-2011, 09:52 PM
The Backhand Pass on MP Soderling will be rememberd! Thats why i'm a fan of Kohli!

:) :) :)

He is on a good way!

Certinfy
02-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Good thing from Kohli is that he's playing good tennis again, has been awful for quite a while now!

FlameOn
02-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Exactly. And he still won.

Top 4 guts, something Mugray is lacking.

+1

Amazing fight from Robin. :worship:

Poor Kohli. :sad:

RIboy
02-10-2011, 09:55 PM
entertaining match :cool:

:yeah: Only the 2nd round of a '500' tournament but their H2H is historical in some sense.

cool blog Voo :yeah:

Mjau!
02-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Not so good result... who is next opponent?

emotion
02-10-2011, 10:09 PM
That was close to huge choke, but mp winner was epic

Certinfy
02-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Not so good result... who is next opponent?
Youzhny :)

.-Federers_Mate-.
02-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Epic match much expected given the kind of tennis these two can play. Soderling has really impressed me this year apart from that loss to the girl and is showing that he can back up his number 4 spot with the results. He's a changed man from the stupid head case we saw last year. He's actually exciting to watch. Finally that old goose Magnus Norman has gorn and look what has happened.

Best match since the AO.

Kohli is off to a a dreadful start this year.

Slow Show
02-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Match of the week in Rotterdam so far. Fitting that it ended with such a tense tiebreaker given their history. It was fun to watch thanks to Khols stepping it up by quite a few notches in the second set so he shouldn't be too down on himself. Good game from both guys. When it's on, Sod's indoor service is halfway between beautiful and pants-crappingly terrifying. There should be an indoor grand slam just so I can see more of it. In like... Iceland. In November.

Voo de Mar
02-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Finally that old goose Magnus Norman has gorn and look what has happened.

Soderling's new coach - Pistolesi - is 9 years older than Norman ;)

.-Federers_Mate-.
02-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Soderling's new coach - Pistolesi - is 9 years older than Norman ;)

Doesn't look it. He's much MUCH better for him right now. Magnus was good but he needed to go as he was holding Robin back. For the 1st time since forever i see robin being a contender for a slam that isn't wimby. I thought i would never see that

scoobs
02-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Doesn't look it. He's much MUCH better for him right now. Magnus was good but he needed to go as he was holding Robin back. For the 1st time since forever i see robin being a contender for a slam that isn't wimby. I thought i would never see that
And this is based on what? His performance in R2 of Rotterdam? Because it can't be based on his incredible - and not in a good way - performance against Dolgopolov in Melbourne?

Jomp1
02-10-2011, 10:50 PM

What are you talking about? Norman turned Robin from a fringe top30 player to a two time slam finalist, WTF finalist and Masters winner(in their very last tournament excluding WTF together)..

Robin has beaten one top10 player so far with Pistolesi as a coach, too soon to tell.

Yazoo.C
02-10-2011, 11:36 PM
That was a close one :eek:

Well done Robin :yeah:

superganon
02-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Robin has beaten one top10 player so far with Pistolesi as a coach, too soon to tell.

+1

Sunset of Age
02-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Sod, at his very least, at least TRIES his very best to pick up/defend the points wherever he gets a fair chance of doing so. :yeah:
I just refuse to comment on certain other dramatis personae who don't.

Kohli - great fight! :hug:

JanKowalski
02-11-2011, 12:53 AM
Soderling's fistpumps are becoming pathetic, WTA style.

Voo de Mar
02-11-2011, 01:00 AM
Soderling's fistpumps are becoming pathetic, WTA style.

Yeah, Soderling is a bit funny with fist-pumping winning just the first point of a game but no-one surpasses in this department Ancic who used to make fist-pumps after losing points :haha:

Mungo
02-11-2011, 01:19 AM
Soderling not looking good for the summer clay-grass season

oranges
02-11-2011, 03:14 AM
Soderling not looking good for the summer clay-grass season

:spit: It's Rotterdam, indoors. Should he be peeking right about now for the clay and grass?

*Jean*
02-11-2011, 05:10 AM
lucky escape Robin :D

FormerRafaFan
02-11-2011, 06:32 AM
f*ck.. Kohli! why couldn't you take him out? :(

Orka_n
02-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Doesn't look it. He's much MUCH better for him right now. Magnus was good but he needed to go as he was holding Robin back. For the 1st time since forever i see robin being a contender for a slam that isn't wimby. I thought i would never see that:spit: You are such a terrible poster.

Let's face it, if it wasn't for Norman you wouldn't even care about Soderling... because Robin would still be stuck at around #30 in the rankings.
Robin was a huge underachiever before Norman entered the scene and taught him how to be a tennis professional (in all kinds of ways). Magnus took the inconsistent world #25 Soderling, who was nearly 25 years old at the time, to 2 slam finals and a Masters title in 2 years.

I also think it might be good for Robin to have Pistolesi as a coach now, to ignite his game even more... but without Norman, Soderling would be nothing.

Orka_n
02-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Soderling's fistpumps are becoming pathetic, WTA style.It's a matter of culture. I on the other hand think it's completely ridiculous to throw your knee in the air and shout "BAMOS!!!!" everytime you clench you fist. It's bordering on disgusting, actually.

.-Federers_Mate-.
02-11-2011, 11:24 AM
:spit: You are such a terrible poster.

Let's face it, if it wasn't for Norman you wouldn't even care about Soderling... because Robin would still be stuck at around #30 in the rankings.
Robin was a huge underachiever before Norman entered the scene and taught him how to be a tennis professional (in all kinds of ways). Magnus took the inconsistent world #25 Soderling, who was nearly 25 years old at the time, to 2 slam finals and a Masters title in 2 years.

I also think it might be good for Robin to have Pistolesi as a coach now, to ignite his game even more... but without Norman, Soderling would be nothing.

What are you talking about? Norman turned Robin from a fringe top30 player to a two time slam finalist, WTF finalist and Masters winner(in their very last tournament excluding WTF together)..

you You cwazy kids are giving those merry Nadal tards a run for their money.Soderling is hitting the ball much cleaner and much better in general than last year where he was very hit and miss. he has come into this year with a attitude. I refuse to believe it was Normans doing for Sods rise in the past, yeah he tweaked a few things most likely and gave robin a shoulder to cry on BUt it was more so Soderling finally getting his shit together due to jenni's presence than anything else. reminds me of the flick 'wimbledon'. We all know how weak Sod is in Aussie But this year he played the best tennis in his career there as well as achieving his best result. He's only played one top 10 player this year and beaten him with minimal effort. The dolgo loss is his only of the year. He's also top 4 now.

Under this new coach, he looks fitter,leaner and stronger. He means business and you can see that from the way he carries himself on he court. fact of the matter remains Soderling is playing better tennis under this new coach and he needed to ditch Magnus because his career was stalling under his guidance.

And this is based on what? His performance in R2 of Rotterdam? Because it can't be based on his incredible - and not in a good way - performance against Dolgopolov in Melbourne?

It's based on the way he is playing his tennis. He has lost once this year, that's it. Didn't you watch Brisbane?

.-Federers_Mate-.
02-11-2011, 11:25 AM
It's a matter of culture. I on the other hand think it's completely ridiculous to throw your knee in the air and shout "BAMOS!!!!" every time you clench you fist. It's bordering on disgusting, actually.

No it's not. It's a matter of personality.

tealeaves
02-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Kohli could have been 4-0 in H2H :eek:

Jomp1
02-11-2011, 01:21 PM
you You cwazy kids are giving those merry Nadal tards a run for their money.Soderling is hitting the ball much cleaner and much better in general than last year where he was very hit and miss. he has come into this year with a attitude. I refuse to believe it was Normans doing for Sods rise in the past, yeah he tweaked a few things most likely and gave robin a shoulder to cry on BUt it was more so Soderling finally getting his shit together due to jenni's presence than anything else. reminds me of the flick 'wimbledon'. We all know how weak Sod is in Aussie But this year he played the best tennis in his career there as well as achieving his best result. He's only played one top 10 player this year and beaten him with minimal effort. The dolgo loss is his only of the year. He's also top 4 now.

Under this new coach, he looks fitter,leaner and stronger. He means business and you can see that from the way he carries himself on he court. fact of the matter remains Soderling is playing better tennis under this new coach and he needed to ditch Magnus because his career was stalling under his guidance.

Like I said, too soon to tell. Robin played exactly like this in Paris Bercy three months ago with Norman. This is normal with a new coach. Most players get an energy kick out of it and some immediate impact, come back to me after Wimbledon and we can see what impact it gave to his career. I do think Robin and Norman parted at the right time, but you seem to have something against the latter for some reason, maybe you didn't like him as a player, what do I know.. As a coach however, he did a terrific job with Robin..

Orka_n
02-11-2011, 02:49 PM
You cwazy kids are giving those merry Nadal tards a run for their money.Says the ACC champ. :lol:
Soderling is hitting the ball much cleaner and much better in general than last year where he was very hit and miss. he has come into this year with a attitude. I refuse to believe it was Normans doing for Sods rise in the past, yeah he tweaked a few things most likely and gave robin a shoulder to cry on BUt it was more so Soderling finally getting his shit together due to jenni's presence than anything else.You "refuse to believe" it was Norman? :spit: And why is that? Because you have decided you don't like him? NID.
reminds me of the flick 'wimbledon'. We all know how weak Sod is in Aussie But this year he played the best tennis in his career there as well as achieving his best result. He's only played one top 10 player this year and beaten him with minimal effort. The dolgo loss is his only of the year. He's also top 4 now.Your knowledge is awful as always. Robin was #4 already before the WTF.
Under this new coach, he looks fitter,leaner and stronger. He means business and you can see that from the way he carries himself on he court. fact of the matter remains Soderling is playing better tennis under this new coach and he needed to ditch Magnus because his career was stalling under his guidance.So you know better about the reason for Sod's rise than he does himself? Just about everyone in the tennis world agrees it is thanks to Norman that Robin is even a top name on the tour now. You're talking trash. :zzz:

Orka_n
02-11-2011, 02:56 PM
No it's not. It's a matter of personality.The culture of the country we live in heavily influence our personality, Einstein.

.-Federers_Mate-.
02-11-2011, 11:41 PM
The culture of the country we live in heavily influence our personality, Einstein.

It's still a matter of persoanlity and what you said is a generalization. I don't need your praise either

Says the ACC champ. :lol:
You "refuse to believe" it was Norman? :spit: And why is that? Because you have decided you don't like him? NID.
Your knowledge is awful as always. Robin was #4 already before the WTF.
So you know better about the reason for Sod's rise than he does himself? Just about everyone in the tennis world agrees it is thanks to Norman that Robin is even a top name on the tour now. You're talking trash. :zzz:

Why is that? is reading my post beyond you? i already said that it was more of a matter of Sod getting shit together by himself and and his mind than magnus and Jenni was a more reassuring presence than magnus ever was. Hy do you think Sod ditched him? it's because he game was digressing and he needed someone who could take him to the next level which i currently happening. saying 'your knowledge is awful as always' is just a away to make you feel better about yourself which i don't need considering my thoughts on you as a poster are quite clear. No shit he was, that wasn't my point nor did i say he wasn't. Right now is number 4 and DOESN'T look like giving it up which was the case when he was number 5 for most of last year. Just about everyone in tennis isn't you or your other Scandinavian internet buddies what a stupid and meaningless thing to say. His new coach had an idea to improve Robin and it generated a BIG improvement this year. Make of that what you will.Your logic being Magnus was the Main reason why Sod has risen in the past years amazes me. I mean wow way to judge a book by it's cover :rolleyes:

Oh and next time you decide to cross my path, bring a tennis brain with you..that is if you have one.