Music during a tennis match? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Music during a tennis match?

Johnny Groove
02-10-2011, 09:20 PM
We've all heard music being played during the changeovers in matches, but sometimes when training, someone turns on a stereo and starts blasting some good tunes, I feel as if I am more intense and the match becomes more fun with a soundtrack.

Would this work on ATP events? Or would the crowds not like the music the players request?

v-money
02-10-2011, 09:29 PM
We've all heard music being played during the changeovers in matches, but sometimes when training, someone turns on a stereo and starts blasting some good tunes, I feel as if I am more intense and the match becomes more fun with a soundtrack.

Would this work on ATP events? Or would the crowds not like the music the players request?

Do you mean during the matchplay, not just on changeovers? If that's what you mean, it could be pretty strange. What if you're opponent is not happy with your music? Or would the server get to choose the song being played?

Johnny Groove
02-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Do you mean during the matchplay, not just on changeovers? If that's what you mean, it could be pretty strange. What if you're opponent is not happy with your music? Or would the server get to choose the song being played?

I'm thinking the players give a list of their preferred songs to be played during their service games to the DJ before the match.

I just hope that the crowds enjoy the music.

v-money
02-10-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm thinking the players give a list of their preferred songs to be played during their service games to the DJ before the match.

I just hope that the crowds enjoy the music.

I really don't think any sport has music playing continuously during the event. Even in basketball or baseball, when they play music it is when play is stopped (pretty much all the time in the case of baseball). This seems impractical and silly and now I don't even know if you were joking when you posted this.

Action Jackson
02-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Change of ends it's fine, not during play.

bleu_cheese
02-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Haha, that would be funny, playing Chopin or something to throw your opponent off. It's a bad idea, but fun to think about.

zerocool_
02-10-2011, 10:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxDiKSHqBIc

And what is someone request this? :lol:

GlennMirnyi
02-10-2011, 10:41 PM
During play... :lol:

What a preposterous idea.

scoobs
02-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Umm no.

Or why don't we just change the name to "dance party, now with a bit of added tennis."

GlennMirnyi
02-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Umm no.

Or why don't we just change the name to "dance party, now with a bit of added tennis."

Party tennis.

Henry Chinaski
02-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Tennis players have unbelievably shit taste in music.

It would be wall to wall U2 and Coldplay.

Music at change of ends is bad enough. During rallies, well I'd never watch tennis ever again.

Mjau!
02-10-2011, 10:53 PM
:cuckoo:

out_here_grindin
02-10-2011, 11:12 PM
I really don't think any sport has music playing continuously during the event. Even in basketball or baseball, when they play music it is when play is stopped (pretty much all the time in the case of baseball). This seems impractical and silly and now I don't even know if you were joking when you posted this.

Thy play music during play in the NBA.

This could lead to some serious strategy. Some players would start practicing to classical piano and play great meanwhile putting the opponent to sleep. They would hire scouts to scout songs that the upcoming opponent really can't stand and put those on the play list.

dombrfc
02-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Clown

.-Federers_Mate-.
02-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Tennis players have unbelievably shit taste in music.

It would be wall to wall U2 and Coldplay.

Music at change of ends is bad enough. During rallies, well I'd never watch tennis ever again.

disagreed some of my faves like Roger and Dimitrov etc are all pretty astute when it comes to music.

As for the idea...NO

Time Violation
02-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Yea, NBA plays music time to time during gameplay and it sucks really, horrible MIDI tunes :D

v-money
02-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Thy play music during play in the NBA.

This could lead to some serious strategy. Some players would start practicing to classical piano and play great meanwhile putting the opponent to sleep. They would hire scouts to scout songs that the upcoming opponent really can't stand and put those on the play list.

Only been to one NBA game but that's not exactly how I remember it. They play music during time outs and occasionally after big plays. They won't start playing a song as someone goes up for a jumper, nor is there continuous music playing. The music is only meant to get the crowd going and it's not for the players. If they played short snippets of music after a player hits a winner then that's different, but still stupid in my opinion because that would slow down the game that is when chair umpires call the score.

arm
02-10-2011, 11:38 PM
music during the points? :confused: he was probably drunk when he started this thread, no? :rolls:

Fire__
02-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Very funny :)))) About putting their songs - it's absolute under crack idea. Also, why no sports are using this "great" idea is because audience like to hear whats happening on the court, how the crowd reacts and so on. I mean... What? It will never happen. And i am saying never, because there always will be at least one Sharapova on the tour, which will be watched because of that unique notes coming from her mouth, not from her DJ..

Yazoo.C
02-11-2011, 12:11 AM
I think it's alright during changeovers, but not during game play - it would be distracting.

out_here_grindin
02-11-2011, 12:19 AM
Very funny :)))) About putting their songs - it's absolute under crack idea. Also, why no sports are using this "great" idea is because audience like to hear whats happening on the court, how the crowd reacts and so on. I mean... What? It will never happen. And i am saying never, because there always will be at least one Sharapova on the tour, which will be watched because of that unique notes coming from her mouth, not from her DJ..

Actually you may have just stated the most poweful argument in favor of music. It could be made loud enough to overpower the grunting.

KarlyM
02-11-2011, 12:33 AM
I think it's alright during changeovers, but not during game play - it would be distracting. I agree. You won't be able to hear all the sounds of the tennis match -- like a player swearing at the umpire. :lol: I get annoyed when WTT blares music between points. :p

Actually you may have just stated the most poweful argument in favor of music. It could be made loud enough to overpower the grunting. The music would have to be VERY LOUD to overpower the likes of the Williams sisters and Sharapova. Bring the earplugs! :lol:

Kat_YYZ
02-11-2011, 01:43 AM
might be nice to drown out the screaming in women's matches with some nice opera :p

GlennMirnyi
02-11-2011, 01:48 AM
might be nice to drown out the screaming in women's matches with some nice opera :p

Maybe some Rush. ;)

n8
02-11-2011, 01:48 AM
Change of ends it's fine, not during play.

This. Youtube posters love putting their music to their highlights and we don't want to deny them that.

ZaZoo)
02-11-2011, 01:54 AM
I heard enough of lady gaga during changeovers so no plz.

Sunset of Age
02-11-2011, 02:05 AM
I've never heard *music* being played at change-overs so far, at any tournament.
NOISE, yes. :angel:

And I could well do without it, thanks very much.

GlennMirnyi
02-11-2011, 02:08 AM
I'd love to play tennis listening to "The Revealing Science of God - Dance of the Dawn". :p

Mjau!
02-11-2011, 02:09 AM
Music in changeovers is nice unless someone is throwing a tantrum like Rafa. You don't want to miss out on the drama.

Mimi
02-11-2011, 09:08 AM
I hate any music to play before or during the match. Tennis is a prestigous sport, not some fun show. I never understand why the players did not complain for the music, I think its hard to concentrate/thinking of appropriate strategics to beat your opponents when they are resting on their seats with that loud music on.

BodyServe
02-11-2011, 09:12 AM
As if it wasn't enough during changeover, the day it happens during play, i would stop watching this sport.

Mimi
02-11-2011, 09:14 AM
As if it wasn't enough during changeover, the day it happens during play, i would stop watching this sport.

me too:wavey:

BodyServe
02-11-2011, 09:19 AM
I hate any music to play before or during the match. Tennis is a prestigous sport, not some fun show. I never understand why the players did not complain for the music, I think its hard to concentrate/thinking of appropriate strategics to beat your opponents when they are resting on their seats with that loud music on.

I wouldn't call it "prestigious" because it has to do with money and i don't like it ;). I would rather call it a serious sport, not a circus show or a freak show :)

RIboy
02-11-2011, 09:27 AM
that would be cool, but only quality music...Bieber and Miley Cyrus :yeah:

MARTINBALDRIDGE
02-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Turn the music off and keep it off - only joking of course.

I've Been to Wimbledon loads of times, and the French just once - no music there!

At the O2 last year the music was deafening but after a while quite fun - still dont think it's appropriate though - wouldn't say no to some cheerleaders though!

Mimi
02-11-2011, 09:51 AM
I wouldn't call it "prestigious" because it has to do with money and i don't like it ;). I would rather call it a serious sport, not a circus show or a freak show :)

you are right:wavey:

Mjau!
02-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Tennis is real sport, not clownish, american spectacle! :rolleyes:

Yves.
02-11-2011, 07:53 PM

:worship:

Filo V.
02-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Takes too much focus away from the play.

Sunset of Age
02-12-2011, 02:00 AM
Maybe some Rush. ;)

Preferably 'Cygnus X-1', the screaming final. :worship:

ballbasher101
02-12-2011, 02:01 AM
Can you imagine if the OP was the leader of the ATP, it would be the equivalent of having Sepp Blatter in charge. I rest my case.

Johnny Groove
02-12-2011, 03:04 AM
I guess this isn't such a good idea after all.

Sunset of Age
02-12-2011, 03:16 AM
I guess this isn't such a good idea after all.
Ah, some folks posted some pretty fine suggestions, no? http://undergroundfreakz.com/s/contrib/ruinkai/shinner.gif
:rocker2:

BTW, they played 'music' by J Bieber on kids day in Rotterdam. :help:

Mjau!
02-12-2011, 03:22 AM
Admitting ones mistakes is a virtue. :yeah:

02-12-2011, 03:41 AM
A good idea would be for players to submit a list of songs, and their music plays during 1 set, their oppoenents setlist plays during set 2, and they toss for the right to song first, so that one player may or may not get more of his music depending on how long the match goes.

It does raise an interesting point though. Tennis is a silent game. In other sports, the crowd is allowed to hoot and holler and put off the player shooting for goal or whatever, but in tennis the crowd cant do that to put off the server for example.

Sunset of Age
02-12-2011, 03:45 AM
A good idea would be for players to submit a list of songs, and their music plays during 1 set, their oppoenents setlist plays during set 2, and they toss for the right to song first, so that one player may or may not get more of his music depending on how long the match goes.
I'd suggest Slayer's Angel of Death in that case.