How well couls past serve volleyers do in the game today? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How well couls past serve volleyers do in the game today?

Xavier7
02-09-2011, 05:35 PM
How well do you think players like Sampras, Becker, Edberg and Mcenroe would do in the game today if they played their all out serve volley game they played at their peak.

I thinki they could still get to the top of the game and win slams, and conditions in the game do not make it as impossible to win with serve and volley as most people think.

r2473
02-09-2011, 05:40 PM
If they played exactly the same, they would get crushed.

But, great champions adjust to the conditions and find a way to win. That is why they are great champions and that is what each of them would do.

Answer: You can't win playing S&V that belongs to another era. But, champions from other eras would probably be very competitive today.

BodyServe
02-09-2011, 05:40 PM
How well do you think players like Sampras, Becker, Edberg and Mcenroe would do in the game today if they played their all out serve volley game they played at their peak.

I thinki they could still get to the top of the game and win slams, and conditions in the game do not make it as impossible to win with serve and volley as most people think.

Some of them have a weak serve that would be eaten for breakfast on today's court, but i can see guys like Sampras, Krajicek, Ivanisevic in top 10, even with the slow courts.

Xavier7
02-09-2011, 05:54 PM

But, great champions adjust to the conditions and find a way to win. That is why they are great champions and that is what each of them would do.

Answer: You can't win playing S&V that belongs to another era. But, champions from other eras would probably be very competitive today.

Why would they get crushed if they played the same?
Llodra is doing pretty well playing serve and volley recently on fast courts, and sampras and Becker could obviously do better than him.

r2473
02-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Why would they get crushed if they played the same?
Llodra is doing pretty well playing serve and volley recently on fast courts, and sampras and Becker could obviously do better than him.

If Llodra is representative of the style played by Samparas, Becker, McEnroe, etc. and if Llodra is what you consider successful, then you are right.

I thought you were asking something different.

Pirata.
02-09-2011, 06:05 PM
They would probably still be successful. If mugs like Berdych can make top ten, surely guys like McEnroe and Sampras would find success in this modern ball-bashing era.

Xavier7
02-09-2011, 06:05 PM
If Llodra is representative of the style played by Samparas, Becker, McEnroe, etc. and if Llodra is what you consider successful, then you are right.

I thought you were asking something different.

What I am thinking is Llodra is nowhere near as good in executing serve and volley aspast greats and if Llodra can get to around a ranking of 20 today, surely Sampras or Becker could crack top 5, and be a threat to win at non clay slams.

PoorMan'sDavy
02-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Sampras and Backer could both rip their groundstrokes and hit winners when given time, something Llodra does not really do. In my view that also means their games would be different today, as they would adapt. Or maybe Becker would still crush the ball and dive all over the court:)

Late Sampras was also more of a S&V player than he was early in his career, when he had a true all-court game.

Back to the OP's question, S&V as a dedicated style will not consistently win at the top level today - passing shots are too accurate and too much pace.

r2473
02-09-2011, 08:46 PM
What I am thinking is Llodra is nowhere near as good in executing serve and volley aspast greats and if Llodra can get to around a ranking of 20 today, surely Sampras or Becker could crack top 5, and be a threat to win at non clay slams.

If you are asking "if we transport these guys to present day and have them play the exact same way, would they still be great champions?", I think the answer is NO.

But, they would adapt, do what works, and probably still be great champions in today's game.

Mjau!
02-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Not so good at this time! Maybe win something indoors or Queens, but definitely not reach top 10. I don't think Petros is much better than Mika.

Young 8
02-09-2011, 09:10 PM

this

02-10-2011, 08:44 PM
No way to know, but all we can consider is this fact, and it is a fact,

In virtually all sports, the players now would crush the players from the 70's and 80's. They are so much fitter, so better trained, so much technnically better, there is so much more depth.

The world records are lower in every sport like that etc. Some would put it down to doping, but that doesnt come close to explaining everything.

Look at swimming. It just keeps evolving and evolving.

Tennis is not as tangible/measurable a sport, but I think the rule would generally apply.

Todays top 5 would crush the top 5 of the 80;s playing on todays courts, with todays rackets. It's just that simple. Anyone who denys that is a fool.

Dougie
02-10-2011, 09:14 PM
No way to know, but all we can consider is this fact, and it is a fact,

In virtually all sports, the players now would crush the players from the 70's and 80's. They are so much fitter, so better trained, so much technnically better, there is so much more depth.

The world records are lower in every sport like that etc. Some would put it down to doping, but that doesnt come close to explaining everything.

Look at swimming. It just keeps evolving and evolving.

Tennis is not as tangible/measurable a sport, but I think the rule would generally apply.

Todays top 5 would crush the top 5 of the 80;s playing on todays courts, with todays rackets. It's just that simple. Anyone who denys that is a fool.

Of course they would. But put Federer and Nadal against prime Borg and Vilas, with wooden racquets and slow clay, and you have a different story altogether. Comparing eras is pointless.