San Jose R1: Berankis def. Becker 6-3 7-6(2) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

San Jose R1: Berankis def. Becker 6-3 7-6(2)

Filo V.
02-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Decent overall performance from Berankis, and a great tiebreak. Too many errors but served and returned quite well, was very consistent in hitting the ball deep when he wasn't making mistakes, hit the slice well, and moved well. Just the better player from the baseline and frustrated Benji into errors. He played at a very high level on the big points.

Becker's game has changed a lot from what it was, he's standing much further back and lofting the ball much more, as well as hitting more slice. His FH was not good, as usual it was his weakness.

The Matador
02-08-2011, 08:18 PM
What a player this Berankis very good solid performance saved 7/7 bps this guy has to make the top 50 very soon im sure of it.

misty1
02-08-2011, 08:18 PM
good job rycka:)

Pirata.
02-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Rycka :yeah:

Keep going :cool:

Armless
02-08-2011, 08:21 PM
played well, kept his nerve on those crucial points, serve was good. Dictated the rallies , forcing Becker's frustration. Nicely done:yeah:

simplet
02-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Now that's a youngter I can get behind.

Really like how everything he does looks so smooth. Not flashy, just smooth

madmax
02-08-2011, 08:24 PM
NID...choked a bit at the end of the second set with lazy errors, but put himself together in the tiebreak. Young should be another routine 2 - setter

YouKnowWho
02-08-2011, 08:26 PM
It's funny how "overrated" Berankis just keeps winning.. and winning.. and winning.. and winning.. Sort of a thing you have to do if you want to be a "future of tennis", huh? ;)

The above is aimed not at Grisha himself, I have nothing against him at all and I do want him to succeed. But some of his fanboys, oh boy..

scoobs
02-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Good match from Rycka, I thought. Shame I couldn't enjoy it too much because of the annoying commentary, who seemed more keen to discuss the LA event in the summer than the event going on right under their noses.

The Matador
02-08-2011, 08:33 PM
It's funny how "overrated" Berankis just keeps winning.. and winning.. and winning.. and winning.. Sort of a thing you have to do if you want to be a "future of tennis", huh? ;)

The above is aimed not at Grisha himself, I have nothing against him at all and I do want him to succeed. But some of his fanboys, oh boy..
overrated hahahaha dont be funny this guy is gonna make the top 50 pretty soon btw who says he's overrated?? id like to have a chat with them.

tumbak
02-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Man he beat Benjamin Becker and you think Berankis is a god. Dimitrov had to play a much tougher opponent, face it. Berankis is pretty good though, a good asset to men's current tennis.

v-money
02-08-2011, 08:39 PM
overrated hahahaha dont be funny this guy is gonna make the top 50 pretty soon btw who says he's overrated?? id like to have a chat with them.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=176916
The OP of this thread does (third post down), but I wouldn't try to reason with him.

YouKnowWho
02-08-2011, 08:48 PM

quotation marks should have shown you that I was being sarcastic, v-money already posted a link to the thread I was referring to.

Man he beat Benjamin Becker and you think Berankis is a god. Dimitrov had to play a much tougher opponent, face it. Berankis is pretty good though, a good asset to men's current tennis.

Again, I am a fan of Grisha myself :) Also, not saying that Berankis is god and I agree that this victory is absolutely nothing special. My snide remarks were aimed at some of the Grisha's fanboys who seem to be quite delusional (Berankis has some of delusional fanboys too, feel free to make fun of them!) :)

Ad Wim
02-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Expected, Becker is ranked much higher, and Berankis much lower than they actually are.

The Matador
02-08-2011, 09:59 PM
quotation marks should have shown you that I was being sarcastic, v-money already posted a link to the thread I was referring to.

Again, I am a fan of Grisha myself :) Also, not saying that Berankis is god and I agree that this victory is absolutely nothing special. My snide remarks were aimed at some of the Grisha's fanboys who seem to be quite delusional (Berankis has some of delusional fanboys too, feel free to make fun of them!) :)
No i knew you were being sarcastic i was just shocked at the person who said he was overrated cos they have clearly never watched tennis before.

Allez
02-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Like him a lot :yeah:

.-Federers_Mate-.
02-08-2011, 10:31 PM
No i knew you were being sarcastic i was just shocked at the person who said he was overrated cos they have clearly never watched tennis before.

oh how charming another armchair critic without a clue. Berankis is GENERIC, nothing he does is special in any shape or form. He is the epitome of mediocre. he's not bad but future top 20????, yeah no chance. No weapons, he's movement is good but not exception. He does not strike em as a Big time player. the guy has no personality or charisma and imo in some ways is a really poor mans Davydenko. As said before he's solid but unspectacular. Overrated? yes defo.

I have been watching tennis since around the late 90s. I also have watched more live tennis than anyone put together this year (2 days in brisbane, Asb & Heinekin open) + AO for 8 days. I know what I'm talking about.

I cant see Berankis making any impact what so ever on the tour. Right now i see him as just another euro baseliner and that is all he will ever be. He cant even lace Grigors shoes

hotdog
02-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Mediocre he is not. I suggest you go and watch a few more matches...and since when do you have to have a personality to make it in the tennis world.

nelabai
02-09-2011, 06:49 AM
oh how charming another armchair critic without a clue. Berankis is GENERIC, nothing he does is special in any shape or form. He is the epitome of mediocre. he's not bad but future top 20????, yeah no chance. No weapons, he's movement is good but not exception. He does not strike em as a Big time player. the guy has no personality or charisma and imo in some ways is a really poor mans Davydenko. As said before he's solid but unspectacular. Overrated? yes defo.

I have been watching tennis since around the late 90s. I also have watched more live tennis than anyone put together this year (2 days in brisbane, Asb & Heinekin open) + AO for 8 days. I know what I'm talking about.

I cant see Berankis making any impact what so ever on the tour. Right now i see him as just another euro baseliner and that is all he will ever be. He cant even lace Grigors shoes

You are talking about personality and Dimitrov aka umpire molestor. Come on attacking an umpire when you are 19, what kind of sick personality is that? Berankis doesn't waste time arguing with umpires, you will not see him throwing a racket too. When he is on a court, he is all about his business. And thats pure professionalism. Gotta love that. Dimitrov could learn some manners from this guy and don't act like he's a super star already. By the way,
Richard showed your future Federer how to play tennis last year in Helsinki, so I hope he did learn his lesson. :wavey::worship: