Saturday Report [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Saturday Report

Nina
09-21-2002, 02:24 PM
Unfortunately I couldn't stay for the whole match but here's what I saw

I arrived just at the beggining of the Opening Ceremony, Fetisov made a speech talking about Tarpishev, DC and how much everyone is supporting the team. Then the announcer introduced all the players (everyone clapped to the names of the Argentinians btw) and after that the National Anthems were played, ours was sang by Lev Leshenko (a quite popular singer).

The players who were to play doubles stayed. The announcer who was translating into English introduced them- the Argentinian couple (:p :D) are Nalbandian and Arnold... Then during the introduction of the players he said, Yevgeny Kafelnikov the... Lurand...Rol...Rull..Lur..Rolrand....Roland Gaross Champion. :D I wonder where they got him from!!!
Marat was the first to serve, didn't get the first serves in, the Argentinians played well and broke him, the Russians couldn't do the same and Argentinians took the first set 6-4. The second was very similar; again we lost the first serve and never managed to break back though we had about 6 bp.
Marat played pretty badly (he must have gone out the night before :rolleyes: ) in the beginning , Zhenya tried, he played some amazing shots (esp some great lobs) but did make quite a few errors, Marat's game was pretty monotonous.
Nalbandian was serving very well, and both of them were very quick at the net
The crowd were booing at almost every point because the Argentinians were discussing the game plan after every point for about 30 seconds.
In the third it was very even but we were luckier in the end, Zhenya made some great returns when it mattered the most and Marat woke up in time :)

Then I had to leave :(

pictures to come

Daniel
09-21-2002, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the report :) :kiss:

Nina
09-21-2002, 07:09 PM
I've edited the report, I wrote it in a hurry the first time so it was all mixed up :)

the cat
09-21-2002, 07:25 PM
Nina, how could you leave the Davis Cup for the Opera? You can see the Opera anytime. But a Davis Cup semifinal in your hometown comes along only every so often. I hope the Opera was worth it.

Nina
09-21-2002, 08:02 PM
oh cat, if only I could choose I would have obviously stayed

I was standing there in the line to the entrance, and there was some girl behind me talking on her mobile phone saying "It's 10-10 in the fifth set and I have to go to this f*cking Tosca" I felt so good after knowing I wasn't the only one :D
But the opera wasnt very bad and a event like this doesnt happen often either, it is staged by Dzefirelli (sp?) the director who filmed Romeo and Juliet (the first version) and a bunch of other good movies, he's also one of the most famous opera directors; it's the first time a Roman opera is in Russia. how could I miss it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The singers had good voices but the music was boring

Nina
09-21-2002, 08:59 PM
Photos

David and Lucas

Nina
09-21-2002, 09:00 PM
David

Nina
09-21-2002, 09:01 PM
Zhenya and Marat

Nina
09-21-2002, 09:03 PM
the Argentinian couple ;) :p

Nina
09-21-2002, 09:04 PM
Marat and Zhenya

Nina
09-21-2002, 09:05 PM
Lucas

Nina
09-21-2002, 09:06 PM
David

Nina
09-21-2002, 09:08 PM
Lucas and David

AtPGiRL
09-21-2002, 10:57 PM
thanks for all the photos Nina! You rock!! I left you a message about the tape in the other thread!

I'm sure you were just loving that match! Too bad you had to leave! I can imagine the crowd was going crazy! ;)

Are you going tomorrow as well?

harry_potter
09-21-2002, 11:39 PM
thanks you lucky girl!

Bubble
09-22-2002, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the report and pics, Nina! :)

the cat
09-22-2002, 02:50 AM
Well done Nina! You're going to make a fine tennis journalist someday! :bounce:

I'm only sorry you had to miss such a monumental match! :(