"I'll be darned. I thought he'd come all the way through," says Laver [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

"I'll be darned. I thought he'd come all the way through," says Laver

Pirata.
01-26-2011, 08:22 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/tennis/01/26/australian.open.laver.ap/index.html

Tennis great Rod Laver, the last man to win the Grand Slam, was surprised to hear that Rafael Nadal's attempt to win the "Rafa Slam" was over.

The injured Nadal lost in the Australian Open quarterfinals 6-4, 6-2, 6-3 Wednesday to fellow Spaniard David Ferrer at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne. Nadal was trying to win his fourth straight Grand Slam tournament over two seasons.

"That's disappointing for him, really," the 72-year-old Laver told The Associated Press from his home in Carlsbad in northern San Diego County. "In a way, that was an effort to put all those tournaments together through last year. It really was a good performance. I had him as being favored, even to beat Federer, the way he was playing. He just has got a game that's difficult for Roger.

"I'll be darned. I thought he'd come all the way through, but he didn't," Laver said. "They were all counting that he was going to be the defending champion in all four tournaments."

Laver said he knew Nadal had been ill recently and that one of his knees has given him trouble. "It looked like he was playing well," Laver said.

Laver is the last man to win a true Grand Slam, made up of the Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open in a calendar year. He did it twice, as an amateur in 1962 and again in 1969.

For Nadal to fall short of holding all four Grand Slam titles at the same time shows what an accomplishment it was for Laver, who's still known as "Rocket."

Laver has always diplomatically maintained that it's harder to win a true Grand Slam than to win four straight Grand Slam tournaments over two seasons.

"It is certainly tougher to win in the calendar year," Laver said. "There's a time frame. You don't have any chance unless you start off winning the Australian Open. Otherwise, it doesn't qualify as the Grand Slam.

"Again, the same thing applies with what he did. It takes an unbelievable effort. You've got to be fortunate not to have any injuries or any bloody sicknesses. You've got to prepare yourself to play in four matches. Depending on the draw you've got, that could give you trouble. There are a lot of little things that come along."

Two years ago, the four men Laver beat with his powerful left arm in his 1969 Grand Slam - Spaniard Andres Gimeno and fellow Aussies Ken Rosewall, John Newcombe and Tony Roche - joined Rocket Rod at a lunch at the Australian Open to celebrate the 40th anniversary of his second Slam. Laver also presented Nadal with the trophy after he beat Roger Federer in the title match.

Rod is trolling the tennis world so hard right now :lol:

Allez
01-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Rod Laver and Nadal seem to be joined at the hip :yeah:

Orka_n
01-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Laver transcends the word "legend".

mgasol
01-26-2011, 08:32 PM
i dont think hes trolling. he just doesnt have much intuition thats all. would expect better from him.

Johnny Groove
01-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Laver is a troubled Rafatard. He clearly doesn't like Federer since the guy shed tears both times Rod presented the trophy. And so he wants Nadal (a fellow lefty) to beat Federer's records.

It is obvious :shrug:

abraxas21
01-26-2011, 08:34 PM
uncle rod telling it like it is

i don't think hes trolling though. hes just expressing himself honestly.

luie
01-26-2011, 08:40 PM
He is right the calender grand slam is more important,,more physical & mentally challenging ,there is no off season to recover & improve your game.

delpiero7
01-26-2011, 08:50 PM
He is right the calender grand slam is more important,,more physical & mentally challenging ,there is no off season to recover & improve your game.

The CYGS is more prestigious certainly, but not for the reasons you have stated IMO. There is hardly any off season to speak of these days, and the only reason we refer to it as an off season is because it's when ALL the players don't play.

However, there are periods throughout a season where a player would get more rest than he would in the 'off season'. Examples are if a player doesn't play between the Aussie Open and the start of Indian Wells, and also if a player doesn't play between Wimbledon and Canadian Masters.

I'm not aware how long the off season used to be back in Laver's day, but maybe there was a more obvious gap between the end of one season and the start of the next. These days that gap isn't there, and that's why I feel a non-CYGS and a CYGS are equal in this era. The only reason I say a CYGS is more prestigious is purely for nostalgic reasons.

abraxas21
01-26-2011, 09:22 PM
The CYGS is more prestigious certainly, but not for the reasons you have stated IMO. There is hardly any off season to speak of these days, and the only reason we refer to it as an off season is because it's when ALL the players don't play.

However, there are periods throughout a season where a player would get more rest than he would in the 'off season'. Examples are if a player doesn't play between the Aussie Open and the start of Indian Wells, and also if a player doesn't play between Wimbledon and Canadian Masters.

I'm not aware how long the off season used to be back in Laver's day, but maybe there was a more obvious gap between the end of one season and the start of the next. These days that gap isn't there, and that's why I feel a non-CYGS and a CYGS are equal in this era. The only reason I say a CYGS is more prestigious is purely for nostalgic reasons.

first of all, theres an off season, albeit a short one.

secondly, the Grand Slam extends in a shorter time span. These days from January 17th (the start of the AO) until the 11th of Sept (the end of the USO) -i.e. less than 9 months which is considerably less than a 1 year and 2 weeks which is the time it takes to win 4 GS in a row. Clearly a shorter time span makes it more difficult as you have less time to prepare and to train.

thirdly, there's a bigger mental burden to win the Grand Slam as you're likely to face considerably more pressure to win the fourth slam of the season than you'd to win, say the first one to make it four in a row. Even if it is for a matter of more prestige attached to the Grand Slam, it is precisely that prestige which adds a special mental burden and a greater interest by the media and the fans. Needless to say, that mental burden of winning the last slam to complete the Grand Slam is greater than the mental burden to win 4 GS in a row.

luie
01-26-2011, 09:28 PM

Well you are entitled to your opinion ,its just my opinion its not supported by any facts etc,, I just see the off season as an advantage,however your point is noted,you could easily miss tournies get a rest while other play & "exhaust" themselves is a reasonable point.

careergrandslam
01-26-2011, 09:31 PM
lost ALL respect for rod laver, completely unnecessary filth spewing from his mouth.
he almost sounds so happy that rafa got injured and that he cant win the 4 in a row.

Allez
01-26-2011, 09:32 PM
first of all, theres an off season, albeit a short one.

secondly, the Grand Slam extends in a shorter time span. These days from January 17th (the start of the AO) until the 11th of Sept (the end of the USO) -i.e. less than 9 months which is considerably less than a 1 year and 2 weeks which is the time it takes to win 4 GS in a row. Clearly a shorter time span makes it more difficult as you have less time to prepare and to train.

thirdly, there's a bigger mental burden to win the Grand Slam as you're likely to face considerably more pressure to win the fourth slam of the season than you'd to win, say the first one to make it four in a row. Even if it is for a matter of more prestige attached to the Grand Slam, it is precisely that prestige which adds a special mental burden and a greater interest by the media and the fans. Needless to say, that mental burden of winning the last slam to complete the Grand Slam is greater than the mental burden to win 4 GS in a row.

Since when has 17th May to 30th January = 1 year & 2 weeks :scratch:

dodo
01-26-2011, 10:01 PM
lost ALL respect for rod laver, completely unnecessary filth spewing from his mouth.
he almost sounds so happy that rafa got injured and that he cant win the 4 in a row.

dont worry, he will be your hero and a legend again soon enough the moment he makes a favourable comment about nadal in the press.

abraxas21
01-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Since when has 17th May to 30th January = 1 year & 2 weeks :scratch:

true.. i was thinking about something totally different. i stand 100% corrected.

tennis2tennis
01-26-2011, 10:19 PM
who's the old man kiddin' a couple of days ago he was telling anyone who'd listen that rafa's slam would be inferior to his...the man's relieved!

Dmitry Verdasco
01-26-2011, 10:55 PM
I'll be darned :lol: what a ****

Zagor
01-26-2011, 11:39 PM
The GOAT has spoken again.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
01-27-2011, 12:30 AM
nadalturds are really hatin

partly because uncle rod already said fed was better than him but wont kiss nadals ass

so its double hatred

rafa fans have had a bad month

10is-
01-27-2011, 02:53 AM
"I'll be darned..." :lol:

Good one Laver! ;)

tests
01-27-2011, 05:29 AM
LOL. laver knows how important this was for nadal.

Nadal winning 4 in a row, albeit not the same year, but in DIFFERENT SURFACES, is > laver winning 4 in a row, on like 3 courts being played on grass?

poor nadal :wavey::wavey::wavey:

swisht4u
01-27-2011, 07:04 AM
I'll be darned, :):)

Lately the past greats have been piping up quite a bit. What's gotten into those guys?

Apophis
01-27-2011, 09:57 AM
"In a way, that was an effort to put all those tournaments together through last year.

That's some understatement...

JolánGagó
01-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Rod fails to address the issue of surface variety everytime he lectures the world on how his own prehistorical slam would be much greater than a potential "Rafa slam" today.

Must be senior moments :shrug:

abraxas21
01-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Rod fails to address the issue of surface variety everytime he lectures the world on how his own prehistorical slam would be much greater than a potential "Rafa slam" today.

Must be senior moments :shrug:

speaking of surfaces, winning RG and Wimby back to back in those days was much more difficult than in todays era.

Young 8
01-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Does Laver like Vodka ?

Mungo
01-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Laver won 3 out of 4 majors on grass, if he wants to compare to Nadal and Fed, first win the Grand Slam on 3 different surfaces you dimwit

Infinity
01-27-2011, 01:31 PM
The CYGS is more difficult since a player will be under huge pressure after he wins AO-FO, and possibly even right after AO, while the NCYGS no talk will begin until a player holds 3 of the 4 majors.

Topspindoctor
01-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Nobody cares about that shriveled up geezer anymore and the mug era he won his clown CYGS in. He should just be quiet and stop stirring shit. Nadal has just had an injury, which cost him the greatest achievement this sport has ever known and all this clown feels is relief and fake sadness. Pathetic stuff.

Commander Data
01-27-2011, 01:40 PM

people don't understand what Laver meant. you have 4 times less chances to do the CYGS and then "Rafa-Slam" because you can start the rafa-slam at 4 points per year while you can start the CYGS only at one point per year (AO). so it is kinda like 4 times harder to do the CYGS just by pure probability.

Raiden
01-27-2011, 02:09 PM
rude laver? lol

I support this new trend of rushing to Rod and asking his opinion on whatever latest thing and trying to find out what has to say next

Echoes
01-27-2011, 02:31 PM

Why doth I always have to repeat the same thing again and again?

He addressed this issue several times. Rocket played and won major events on indoor wood, indoor carpet, hard court, green clay, red clay, slow grass or fast grass. Say what you want but surfaces were much more diversified in his days than they are today.

Laver won 3 out of 4 majors on grass, if he wants to compare to Nadal and Fed, first win the Grand Slam on 3 different surfaces you dimwit

Again again and again !!!

Thou, dimwit, shalt have to understand that he won GS on FOUR different surfaces. Brisbane grass was slow and bouncing high and Forest Hills grass was a football pitch (grass way too high for a game of tennis). Moreover, hard court South African Open was a Grand Slam like tourney in 1969 !

Castafiore
01-27-2011, 02:46 PM

He addressed this issue several times. Rocket played and won major events on indoor wood, indoor carpet, hard court, green clay, red clay, slow grass or fast grass. Say what you want but surfaces were much more diversified in his days than they are today.

Of course he won on many surfaces but weren't we talking about his grand slams? Is the Wimbledon Website wrong?

Laver's Grand Slams involved winning Wimbledon and the Australian and US Championships on grass, and the French on clay. The format has changed now in that Wimbledon is the only championship on grass, while Australia and the US Open have switched to hardcourts. But there is little reason to doubt that the left-handed Laver would have triumphed, whatever the sequence of surfaces he faced.

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/about/history/rod_laver.html

scoobs
01-27-2011, 02:59 PM
I wonder what his thoughts are for the Federer loss.

I dare say we'll find out - seems like the media are harassing him for a comment as often as they do McEnroe, Borg, Cash, etc these days.

Allez
01-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Just had a horrible premonition of Roger 30 years from now being hounded for his opinions and being bashed by a new generation of tards for acquiescing and saying what he feels. BTW he looks like his dad for those who want to know...

scoobs
01-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Just had a horrible premonition of Roger 30 years from now being hounded for his opinions and being bashed by a new generation of tards for acquiescing and saying what he feels. BTW he looks like his dad for those who want to know...
Ha.

Roger will be asked about EVERYTHING and his words will be picked over as much as Sampras, McEnroe, etc, if not more.

The BBC will no doubt hire him for commentary at some stage for Wimbledon.

Fans will flock to see him in legends doubles events.

No doubt at some point he'll complain that the generation he's watching is a weak era compared to his own when he had Nadal, Murray, Djokovic, Roddick etc to contend with.

River
01-27-2011, 03:29 PM
I'm sorry, I had the impression that Laver was the only man to ever win a calender year Grand Slam... twice.

But apparently the posters here in MTF are of equal calibre to him to cast judgement on a man who's done and seen it all. Certainly, we must tell Laver that he isn't the only one who completed the CYGS, since there's about 15+ posters here who have a better understanding of what tennis and grand slams are.

Get off your high horses. I'm a Rafa fan and even I'm not stupid enough to take his words like he's stuck up. He predicted Rafa would win and Rafatards sucked on him. He was shocked Rafa would lose and he again pointed out how tough it is to gain all 4 in a row, much less in one calender year, and suddenly he's an asshole.

Please be like Rafa.. and do suck it up. The year just started.

Sonic
01-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Thou, dimwit, shalt have to understand that he won GS on FOUR different surfaces. Brisbane grass was slow and bouncing high and Forest Hills grass was a football pitch (grass way too high for a game of tennis). Moreover, hard court South African Open was a Grand Slam like tourney in 1969 !

Well technically unless he played every GS match on the exact same court in his back garden, you can use that argument. No 2 courts even in the same complex can be classed as the same surface if you want to get stupid about it.

Grass = Grass = Grass

Sonic
01-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Go on any tennis website and look at the tournament listings...

Do the surfaces say "Wimbledon: low bouncing, fast grass.... Queens: slightly lower bouncing, slightly faster grass.... Halle: special kind of German grass that gives a 1cm higher bounce"

No, it says Grass. Just Grass.

Fujee
01-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Nobody cares about that shriveled up geezer anymore and the mug era he won his clown CYGS in. He should just be quiet and stop stirring shit. Nadal has just had an injury, which cost him the greatest achievement this sport has ever known and all this clown feels is relief and fake sadness. Pathetic stuff.

rofl

Zagor
01-27-2011, 05:31 PM

Laver-2 calendar grand slams(greatest achievement in tennis),one when he was way past his peak
Nadal-couldn't even complete a mini slam.

Raiden
01-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Go on any tennis website and look at the tournament listings.

Do the surfaces say "Wimbledon: low bouncing, fast grass.... Queens: slightly lower bouncing, slightly faster grass.... Halle: special kind of German grass that gives a 1cm higher bounce"

No, it says Grass. Just Grass.Attempting to disqualify the previous arrangement by the current one can be reversed and done the other way around also:

The sport is LAWN tennis. That's what was written on the trophies.

Hardcourt is NOT a lawn

Therefore Rod Laver is THE ONLY "Grand Slam" achiever of the sport.

Case closed.

FairWeatherFan
01-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Thank God Mugboar is out and the legend that is Laver will not be tarnished by this moonballing, no-talent clown who has only achieved what he has through the most pathetic era in the sport's history.

MisterQ
01-27-2011, 08:57 PM

With the name Echoes, what did you expect?! ;)

Orka_n
01-27-2011, 09:17 PM
I'm sorry, I had the impression that Laver was the only man to ever win a calender year Grand Slam... twice.

But apparently the posters here in MTF are of equal calibre to him to cast judgement on a man who's done and seen it all. Certainly, we must tell Laver that he isn't the only one who completed the CYGS, since there's about 15+ posters here who have a better understanding of what tennis and grand slams are.

Get off your high horses. I'm a Rafa fan and even I'm not stupid enough to take his words like he's stuck up. He predicted Rafa would win and Rafatards sucked on him. He was shocked Rafa would lose and he again pointed out how tough it is to gain all 4 in a row, much less in one calender year, and suddenly he's an asshole.

Please be like Rafa.. and do suck it up. The year just started.Laver is the only man to have won the CYGS twice, but the late Don Budge also did it. Back in 1938.
Other than that, good post.

Nobody cares about that shriveled up geezer anymore and the mug era he won his clown CYGS in. He should just be quiet and stop stirring shit. Nadal has just had an injury, which cost him the greatest achievement this sport has ever known and all this clown feels is relief and fake sadness. Pathetic stuff.http://www.sciencedaily.com/images/2008/12/081217123831-large.jpg

Echoes
01-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Of course he won on many surfaces but weren't we talking about his grand slams? Is the Wimbledon Website wrong?

With all respect, why did you delete the second part of my post in which I discussed that? :confused:

But yeah I don't like the idea of restricting tennis to GS as if that was all that matters. A tennis season is 11 months long, not 8 weeks.

By the way I love your avatar. :lol:;)

Go on any tennis website and look at the tournament listings...

No, it says Grass. Just Grass.

Oh! Excellent!

So for example on atptennis.com:

US Open 2010: hard court
Australian Open 2011: ... hard court

Yours to convince me that Plexycushion and Decoturf are more different from each other than Wimbledon grass was from Brisbane or Forest Hills grass.

With the name Echoes, what did you expect?!

Lol, good one ! :lol:

Castafiore
01-28-2011, 10:48 AM
With all respect, why did you delete the second part of my post in which I discussed that? :confused:
No particular reason. Your post was right above mine so everybody could see your post in full.

By the way I love your avatar
Thanks. Captain Haddock is always superb.