What does Federer do to keep himself motivated? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What does Federer do to keep himself motivated?

abraxas21
01-26-2011, 08:14 PM
The guy has 16 GS already plus 2 lovely daughters and a wife. What can in your opinion keep him determinated to keep winning? Because he's still motivated, right?

Roger the Dodger
01-26-2011, 08:16 PM
He has to bring home the bread.

finishingmove
01-26-2011, 08:17 PM
he needs to watch Jason Statham movies like Crank, Crank 2

Jaz
01-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Reputation? Ego?

mrclyde
01-26-2011, 08:23 PM
He is a real maniac about tennis, possibly he reads too much history and stories of real fighters and big persons. He uses very much his brain.

Orka_n
01-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Simple answer is that he loves the game.

That and he wants to carve his name deep in the history books. :shrug:

electronicmusic
01-26-2011, 08:25 PM
To break records!

GSMnadal
01-26-2011, 08:27 PM
He loves tennis? He loves records, slams, money, the attention, himself... why quit? As long as he is a contendor for slams and isn't making a fool of himself, or doing anything to hurt his reputation, I see no reason for him to quit whatsoever.

«Ivan»
01-26-2011, 08:28 PM
chasing the girls secretly

Poirot123
01-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Nadal is the thing that keeps Federer motivated. I honestly think that after Federer took his 16th Major at the Australian Open in 2010 he sat back and thought "that's it. Time to rest easier". As Nadal hadn't won any of the previous 4 Grand Slams and hadn't really recovered from his knee injury, and it didn't look like he ever would. There was no threat to Federer's records or standing in the game. He was the undisputed GOAT. He had the most majors ever, the grand slam, and comfortably the most of any current active player (16 v Nadal's 6 at the time). It's no surprise his form tanked for the rest of the year up until the US Open 2010. But why has he suddenly hired Paul Annocone and got all motivated again? Because Nadal roared back to world number 1 like a lion from the 2010 clay season onwards that year, winning the remaining 3 majors. All of a sudden Nadal had the grand slam, 9 majors, and Federer suddenly worried "this Nadal could take my records, I have to stop him... I want to be the GOAT. I am the GOAT." Cue Federer playing sublime tennis at WTF in London, and continuing that form into this year.

There's still unfinished business and records to collect for him (most weeks as world number 1, Olympic singles gold, 8 Wimbledon titles). It's going to take a monumental effort to stop Federer this year...

BodyServe
01-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Shouldn't it be: what does Federer do to keep himself motivated?

Ibracadabra
01-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Who doesn't strive to be the best?

mgasol
01-26-2011, 08:30 PM
he loves the sport more than anything. pretty simple.

Nadull_tard
01-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Egorer's only motivation was to torpedo Nadal's Slam. Now he will try to stop Nadull from becoming the new GOAT.
Everything about himself, this Federer...

Silver.
Love of the game :) The fight to be the best in history and break all the records.

tennisfan856
because retirement life after tennis is really boring. Just mirka and the kids, maybe coaching on the side.

leng jai
01-26-2011, 08:33 PM
His ego

luie
01-26-2011, 08:35 PM
He prefers to be abused by nadull/Murray/simon on court than mirka @ home.

ossie
01-26-2011, 08:35 PM
nadal

Johnny Groove
01-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Mirka. She still wants to travel the world.

sexybeast
01-26-2011, 08:48 PM
3 things:

1)He loves to be out there on the court, so it is easy for him to still be around in so many tournaments. His game is playful and fun, he loves the attention from the audiance, the standing ovation when he comes up with a beautiful shot. Federer loves to win in straight sets and make a fool out of his opponent (see Hewitt 2004, Roddick Wimbledon 2005, AO 2007, Murray in both finals) , he doesnt love that much to be part of a great 5 set battle I think even if he tries to give the appearance of enjoying it. Enjoying beeing out there and to see tennis more as a fun game than a battle is good for your longevity. Sampras didnt enjoy to be around and didnt have much fun with tennis, it was bloody serious and all about winning which hurt his motivation when it became difficult to win, I expect the same from Nadal later on.

2)He seems obsessed with records, I am sure he has a big enought ego to belive he can win something like a calendar grand slam, he was very close twice and this one is the only thing that could cement his GOAT status. He seems to be on track about all his records, he wants to make sure nobody beats the important ones like the total number of grand slams.

3)Nadal

Dr.Slice
01-26-2011, 08:52 PM
He loves what he is doing, gets paid insane amount of money for it and is still arguably the best in the world or at least in the top 3. Why shouldnt he be motivated?

Mistaflava
01-26-2011, 09:03 PM
he eats donuts and candy with Mirka at night...who knows.

Apemant
Egorer's only motivation was to torpedo Nadal's Slam. Now he will try to stop Nadull from becoming the new GOAT.
Everything about himself, this Federer...

You know, I actually believe what Poirot123 said might just be true. There's no reason to dismiss that idea, given how competitive Federer always was. :shrug:

Mistaflava
Mirka. She still wants to travel the world.

and sample many many pastries

Eden
01-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Roger speaks about his motivations quite often in interviews. He loves the competition and to play against different generations of players.
Here are some interesting comments from Paul Annacone:

When Roger and I first started talking about my doing this job, my questions for him were, ‘What do you want to do and why do you keep doing it?’
I didn’t want to get into a situation with somebody that didn’t want to play, or someone who was just trying to convince himself out of resentment or fear of the process. That was why the trial period with Roger and me was so important. For us to get together took all of about two days of me spending time with him in Zurich training and seeing that he was like a 22-year-old. We were doing three-and-a-half hour training sessions on the court and he was smiling and laughing and doing sprints, and I knew that he really loves playing. He isn’t playing out of frustration or resentment--- it is sheer enjoyment for him.”

“Roger sees the other guys coming along and he is so secure in what he has done that he doesn’t look at it as a threat at all. He looks at it as the joy of competition and as a challenge. Pete was very similar in that regard, and that is why at the end of his career Pete didn’t have an issue with giving up the No. 1 ranking. Pete didn’t enjoy playing as much at the end of his career as Roger does now, but he played fewer tournaments so he could be ready for the Slams and because of his security and mentality in who he was he was fine about not being No. 1 if it gave him the best chance to win the Slams. The security that Pete had is the same as Roger has. Roger would still like to be No. 1 but I don’t think that is what is driving him. He doesn’t sit there every week saying, ‘Okay, how do I catch Rafa?’ He has that big picture mentality of knowing that Rafa had a spectacular year and won three of the four Slams in 2010 so he knows that it is going to take a long time to give himself a chance. If Roger does not catch Rafa in the rankings, I don’t think he will be crushed. Right now the focus for Roger is just to be really ready for Australia. It is human nature as you get older to get lost on the difference of ‘was’ and ‘is’ and to have fear of other players trying to catch up, but Roger doesn’t have any of that fear in him, and he doesn’t need to. Pete was just like that, too, and it is a terrific asset to have.

The guy has his 16 Slams but keeps trying to improve because he still feels young at heart and really enjoys it. He is healthy and happy and he has got a great support group and a terrific wife and beautiful kids. He loves it, and why not?”

dombrfc
01-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Sexual incentives from Mirka.

SetSampras
01-26-2011, 09:43 PM
To put the slam count out of reach. Obviously slam records are not safe anymore. Mostly everyone, Pete including thought his records would be safe for decades, and within less then a decade someone has always eclipsed them. Fed knows Nadal is around to make a reasonable challenge to his slam count as well.

Unfortauntely, for Pete he didn't have the luxury of seeing anyone on the horizon at the time who could have ecplised his records. Meanwhile he didn't have a rival left anymore after owning Agassi most of his career Fed fortuantely sees that someone in Nadal who could do it and the only way to keep the slam count out of reach is to continue winning more.

tennis2tennis
01-26-2011, 09:50 PM
To put the slam count out of reach..

:worship:

luie
01-26-2011, 10:11 PM
To put the slam count out of reach. Obviously slam records are not safe anymore. Mostly everyone, Pete including thought his records would be safe for decades, and within less then a decade someone has always eclipsed them. Fed knows Nadal is around to make a reasonable challenge to his slam count as well.

Unfortauntely, for Pete he didn't have the luxury of seeing anyone on the horizon at the time who could have ecplised his records. Meanwhile he didn't have a rival left anymore after owning Agassi most of his career Fed fortuantely sees that someone in Nadal who could do it and the only way to keep the slam count out of reach is to continue winning more.
Nadull can still chase the GS record whatever it ends up being.
However the lost of the AO11 was a MAJOR hit to this because.
1.He lost a slam
2. He lost an oppotunity to distance himself from fed by hold all 4 majors @ the same time.
3.The major advantage he had over fed is being minimized.
Nadull is an early bloomer but before feds 25 birthday he had 8 slams,,, before nadull 25 birthday he has 9.
4. It uncertain if nadull would physically last as long as fed.
5. More & more players are going into a match with him with a definitive game-plan & able to execute.
He can do it but its going to be really difficult going forward as more & more players will have confidence against him,,thus pushing him more.

leng jai
01-26-2011, 10:20 PM

Poor Pete, if only he knew Fedclown would be a GOAT cotender. He would have postponed retirement and won at least 8 more slams.

Zagor
01-26-2011, 11:37 PM
Simple,Fed knows Nadal has a very good chance to catch up with his slam count which has forced Fed to hire Paul and try to modify his game so he can compete with younger generation and if he can add to his slam tally.

Another reason,perhaps equally important reason is that Fed absolutely loves tennis(all of its aspects),it is rare to see very little mental burnout and overall such enthusiasm in a player who will turn 30 this year.He sees trying to still play tennis at the highest level as a father a new challenge rather than a handicap.

ballbasher101
01-26-2011, 11:59 PM
Nadal is the thing that keeps Federer motivated. I honestly think that after Federer took his 16th Major at the Australian Open in 2010 he sat back and thought "that's it. Time to rest easier". As Nadal hadn't won any of the previous 4 Grand Slams and hadn't really recovered from his knee injury, and it didn't look like he ever would. There was no threat to Federer's records or standing in the game. He was the undisputed GOAT. He had the most majors ever, the grand slam, and comfortably the most of any current active player (16 v Nadal's 6 at the time). It's no surprise his form tanked for the rest of the year up until the US Open 2010. But why has he suddenly hired Paul Annocone and got all motivated again? Because Nadal roared back to world number 1 like a lion from the 2010 clay season onwards that year, winning the remaining 3 majors. All of a sudden Nadal had the grand slam, 9 majors, and Federer suddenly worried "this Nadal could take my records, I have to stop him... I want to be the GOAT. I am the GOAT." Cue Federer playing sublime tennis at WTF in London, and continuing that form into this year.

There's still unfinished business and records to collect for him (most weeks as world number 1, Olympic singles gold, 8 Wimbledon titles). It's going to take a monumental effort to stop Federer this year...

This is the right answer. Nadal's success=Federer's motivation.

Swiss Mountain
01-27-2011, 12:38 AM
He prefers to be abused by nadull/Murray/simon on court than mirka @ home.

HA! so funny! so true! :D

scoobs
01-27-2011, 12:55 AM
Do?

He doesn't have to DO anything to keep motivated?

He loves this sport as obsessively and as purely as any player I think I have ever seen - when he's not playing, training, doing commitments, if he has time and there's an interesting match on, the guy will sit down and watch more tennis.

Maybe at some point it will change and the effort required will outweigh the benefits, but for now it doesn't seem like a chore to him

Swiss Mountain
01-27-2011, 12:56 AM
Maybe the fans too; if he didn't have any, he would have pobably ended up like Lendl.

Sri
01-27-2011, 01:28 AM
The guy has 16 GS already plus 2 lovely daughters and a wife. What can in your opinion keep him determinated to keep winning? Because he's still motivated, right?

Mirka's shopping bills? :wavey:

LleytonMonfils
01-27-2011, 01:33 AM
Put a Rafael Nadal fathead above his bed so every morning when he wakes up it is staring him in the face.

Xristos
01-27-2011, 03:27 AM
Who doesn't strive to be the best?

This.

bobrocks
01-27-2011, 03:37 AM
I've been so focused on the idea of the Rafaslam that I hadn't thought of the flip side.
The Rafaslam isn't going to happen but the flip side still might.

If Fed doesn't win in Australia, it will be the first time in 8 years that Roger will not be the holder of at least one GS title.

Perhaps that motivates him.

GlennMirnyi
01-27-2011, 03:38 AM
He has to keep winning so people won't notice the atrocious names of his daughters. :lol:

swisht4u
01-27-2011, 03:38 AM
Fed likes chasing goals.

He'll be trying for every slam this year.

Another French Open would look good.

Trying to see if Nadal will step up and stop him from getting #1 back.

Fighting off the new punks who think they deserve more.

tennishero
01-27-2011, 03:59 AM
I think one of his main goals is the 2012 gold medal.

I don't know how he keeps motivated though, he's been playing tennis for 1 & 1/2 decades now.. constantly travelling, playing tennis day in and out, everything gets repetitive and tiring at some point.

tests
01-27-2011, 05:22 AM
the number one thing that i think really motivates federer is his love for the game. He just loves tennis and loves the history behind it. And who does not want to be the dominant person in history?

Another thing, which is not mentioned in these forums, is the fact that federer has had the luxury to play a career without significant injuries. Do you think fed would still enjoy the sport as much if he had physical problems all the time?

And, ultimately, the grand slam count. Fed knows that records are made to be broken, but i dont think he wants to see anyone in this generation break it. If someone was to break it, i think fed expects it be someone other than people in his generation.

Federer wants history to look back as him being the greater force. If nadal wins a lot of slams, and gets close to fed , something like 14 slams for nadal, 16 for fed, history might think nadal is > cuz he has a winning record against fed. Fed probably realizes this, and wants to distance himself from nadal as much as possible.

Roddickominator
01-27-2011, 05:30 AM
Roger looks at his disgusting wife and thinks to himself...."Maybe if I win one more Slam, I can get a beautiful woman like Brooklyn Decker." He holds out hope that his great success on the tennis court will give him success with women, but deep down he knows that he is just dreaming.

tests
01-27-2011, 05:34 AM
Roger looks at his disgusting wife and thinks to himself...."Maybe if I win one more Slam, I can get a beautiful woman like Brooklyn Decker." He holds out hope that his great success on the tennis court will give him success with women, but deep down he knows that he is just dreaming.

LMFAO. No doubt in my mind that if i was federer, id be with the hottest girl around. But i think fed is past shit like that. He likes mirka for who she is, and nothings wrong with that.
But hey, thats one thing roddick has over fed. I bet he thought this out, "maybe history will remember me for my hot ass wife, and not how federer consistently ass-***** me"
:worship:

10is-
01-27-2011, 05:40 AM
I think Mirka is lovely personally...If I were a guy I would rather be married to her than a skank like Brooklyn.

Ozone
01-27-2011, 05:43 AM
He's just as motivated as he was 5 years ago. Just a busier man

Arkulari
01-27-2011, 05:49 AM

yeah, I think he'd like to take a page off Duck's book and instead of using buyabride.com, he'd look into a catalog and tell Godsick: hey, I wanna meet this girl... :rolleyes:

bobrocks
01-27-2011, 06:21 AM
Borg won at least one GS eight years in a row
Sampras did as well.

Fed is sitting at eight in a row. One GS this year would just add another notch in the GOAT belt.

tests
01-27-2011, 07:04 AM
I wonder if federer is EVEN MORE motivated of the fact that he wont be seeing nadal on the other side.

Even more, since he has beaten djokovic thier last 3 meetings, he must be confident against him?

mgasol
01-27-2011, 08:00 AM
I wonder if federer is EVEN MORE motivated of the fact that he wont be seeing nadal on the other side.

Even more, since he has beaten djokovic thier last 3 meetings, he must be confident against him?

spot on. he doesnt liek playing nadull that much i think. he has also schooled djoke handily the last three times they played. that USO loss wont bother him one bit going into this match. i think with nadulls lost his chances definitely got a boost to take this title :D

abraxas21
01-27-2011, 10:58 AM

i see the strong ownage federer has inflicted upon roddick has severely hurt and embittered his fans.

tests
01-27-2011, 12:27 PM
hmm, this loss should surely motivate fed no?