If Murray loses another grand slam final here, do you think it will cut to the core? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

If Murray loses another grand slam final here, do you think it will cut to the core?

01-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Whether it be Roger or Djokovic if he gets that far, its really irrelivant, if Murray loses another GS final I think it will totally destroy him to the point where he might be better of longer term not making it that far even though that sounds silly..I honestly feel if he gets over that hump he can win heaps, but if he fails again he might never do it..

Thoughts?

Hes going to have a tough final if he makes it through thats for sure. Djokovic if fit and well rested will be tough, Federer is always tough in GS finals.

Jaz
01-26-2011, 01:23 PM
I think Murray will only really be mentally hit if he failed to win a Grand-slam and neither Federer or Nadal were in it.

Right now, Federer is still there, and he is favourite, there is no pressure on Murray.

Audrius K
01-26-2011, 01:25 PM
First of all, he needs to win Ferrer to reach the final. I don't think it will be so easy for him.

DrJules
01-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Yes.

If it is Federer he probably could rationalise it as losing to the 16GS winner who obviously is better at winning GS finals than anybody else, but losing to Djokovic would hit him badly as that would be a match he could and possibly should win.

shadows
01-26-2011, 01:28 PM
If Murray fails to win when his draw is:

Beck -> Marchenko -> GGL -> Melzer -> Dolgopolov -> Ferrer -> Fed/Nole

It'll be pretty hilarious, and I'm sure it'll hurt him mentally.

He's pretty much waded through cakemix so far, just needs to blow out one candle at the end. Couldn't really ask for easier

Andi-M
01-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Its difficult to say. You don't become a bad player overnight and if he keeps making slam SFs and finals he will get chances to win.

Obviously the mental baggage makes it tougher each time, but if he gives himself the oppotunities theres no reason why he can't do it.

I think losing an AO final this year will totally devestate him, particularly if its against Novak, but he'll get over it eventually and move on. Lendl had 4 GS final losses befor he won one, its about perseverence and never losing faith in yourself.

TheRafaelNadal
01-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Actually there is Pressure on Murray. Federer isn't unbeatable like he use to be.

Vida
01-26-2011, 01:35 PM
I think Murray will only really be mentally hit if he failed to win a Grand-slam and neither Federer or Nadal were in it.

Right now, Federer is still there, and he is favourite, there is no pressure on Murray.

at present, players are defined by how they handle federer and nadal at slams. so far, murray has been woeful - with the exception of few easy wins over rafa, that a) he matches up very well against, b)was played on hard courts, and c)was not a 'peak rafa'.

add to that fed is in his 'autumn' faze, facing him in the finals will give no comfort to murrays state of mind. on the contrary, loosing 3 finals to fed (with 2 already being straight sets defeats) - is a major, major, blow for any aspiring top-top player.

if it happens, it may very well be a defining loss or win.

Time Violation
01-26-2011, 01:37 PM

He's pretty much waded through cakemix so far, just needs to blow out one candle at the end. Couldn't really ask for easier

Not sure cakemix as you say it is always a good thing. Novak had few situations where he came to SF with his eyes closed, only to drop out of there easily. Lack of strong competition could hurt him, so it will be interesting to see how he does against Ferrer :)

tennis2tennis
01-26-2011, 01:42 PM
there's pressure whatever ahppens...if he

makes it to the final and lose to Roger people will say Roger's got the mental edge in slams over him

make it to the final and lose to nole people say he can't take a shot with the 2 dominant players out

Chartreuse
01-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Murray losing another GS final would be terrible for his belief that he will ever actually win one...

Andresito
01-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Just a name: IVAN LENDL.

01-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Murray is not Lendl though..dont you dare compare him to that GOAT contender (yet)

Chartreuse
01-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Lendl didn't lose his first 2 finals in straights. Neither did Agassi.

Murray did.

freeandlonely
01-26-2011, 01:54 PM
I won't be surprised if he lost to Ferrer, and he will always have chance except RG in the next several years.

River
01-26-2011, 01:57 PM
I don't know what'll be worse for him: Getting straight-setted or losing in 5. Either way it's gotta be a confidence breaker. I don't watch his game as much anymore, but you'd think with him flying under the radar of the Rafa Slam and FedererTooOldOrNot, he'd be able to take advantage and win.

Britain's no.2
01-26-2011, 02:04 PM
this is such a stupid thread, HES PLAYED IN 2 SLAM FINALS SO FAR BOTH AGAINST THE GOAT IN-FORM :rolleyes:

iriraz
01-26-2011, 02:11 PM
A lot deppends how he looses the match.If it was like last year when he had chances in first set,should have won the third set and lost in straight sets then it would be a bitter pill to swallow.The same case can be made if it is a 5 setter where he could have won the match but didn`t.
But if he is clearly outplayed by a better player on the day then it should be easier to take.There was not much else he could have done

mystic ice cube
01-26-2011, 02:34 PM
I don't think so. By right, there shouldn't be any pressure on him, because the last two finals he lost to Federer in great form. The only thing that could get too him would be the British press getting on his back.

Florida
01-26-2011, 02:52 PM
He will not loose!!!!! He will be victorious and get his 1st GS!!!!! It's in the cards.

jadey
01-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Think the answer lies in between these 2 choices.

Of course if he makes it to the final and loses it will hurt him , but he has said himself that he'll keep working and fighting to win 1 .
He was asked this question not too long ago . Plus I bet the money they make when they get to this point, would help ease the pain somewhat !!!

jadey
01-26-2011, 03:27 PM
"Does the burn get greater to want to win one , the longer the time goes"

ANDY MURRAY: I think it's still the same as when I first was giving myself chances to win slams. It's still exactly the same as it was then. But it's not something that I lose sleep over. It's something that I work very hard towards, the reason why I train hard, you know, train away from home in December.

But, you know, this is obviously for me what my job is. You know, tennis is very important to me. If things don't go well on the tennis court, I've got very good friends and family to fall back on.

I think that last bit says it all

paseo
01-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Yes.

If it is Federer he probably could rationalise it as losing to the 16GS winner who obviously is better at winning GS finals than anybody else, but losing to Djokovic would hit him badly as that would be a match he could and possibly should win.

This.

JanKowalski
01-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Don't agree with OP (:secret: Lendl).

NJ88
01-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Even though he probably won't be the favorite in the final (if he gets past Ferrer), I still think there might be more pressure on him. He's been trying to get that first grand slam for a while now, so going into ANOTHER final, the same one he lost last year is going to put a lot of pressure on him. I think if he loses, it could knock him back pretty bad. I hope he get's over the hump and finally wins his first one though.

mgasol
01-26-2011, 04:49 PM
if he loses to federer again it will hurt. he will have a mental block against roger in slams.

Zagor
01-26-2011, 04:50 PM
IMO Murray is not a weakling,yes he can sometimes lose it on court but he doesn't strike as someone who gives up.If he happens to lose yet another slam final,he'll gutted for a while for sure but then he'll just work hard and try again.As long as he continues to put himself in position to win them there's a big chance one will go his way.

Clydey
01-26-2011, 04:59 PM

No easier than anyone else's, except Nole's quarter final. It's not Murray's fault that Soderling and Nadal lost.

Clydey
01-26-2011, 05:00 PM
at present, players are defined by how they handle federer and nadal at slams. so far, murray has been woeful - with the exception of few easy wins over rafa, that a) he matches up very well against, b)was played on hard courts, and c)was not a 'peak rafa'.

add to that fed is in his 'autumn' faze, facing him in the finals will give no comfort to murrays state of mind. on the contrary, loosing 3 finals to fed (with 2 already being straight sets defeats) - is a major, major, blow for any aspiring top-top player.

if it happens, it may very well be a defining loss or win.

Since when was it not a peak Rafa? His wins came during Rafa's 2 best years on tour. I'm guessing Djokovic's wins against Federer were against 'peak' Federer?

nole_no1
01-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Murray couldn't ask for a better draw than this :o
He is a complete mug if he doesn't win this GS (i hope he won't)

rocketassist
01-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Since when was it not a peak Rafa? His wins came during Rafa's 2 best years on tour. I'm guessing Djokovic's wins against Federer were against 'peak' Federer?

They were in Vida's stupid uber-biased fanboy brain.

The USO 08 win was Murray's best match full stop against a winning streak Nadal. He dominated him, overpowered him and took more risks than any other match. In his first GS semi nonetheless.

tennishero
01-26-2011, 06:26 PM
yea, he might give up if he loses again or change his game style which might benefit him. would like to see him lose again if nothing than just to annoy storm lee :)

shiaben
01-26-2011, 06:30 PM
No because he's about to get a first class ass kicking by a young lad named Novak Djokovic. Then again he can always upset. But Djokovic form is far greater than Federer's at the moment and arguably at the level of Nadal's optimum, currently speaking.

However, if Djokovic was defeated by Federer, Murray should definitely seal the deal and be able to take down both Ferrer and Federer without any BS excuses. He's had experience with both, knows how to go about defeating them, shouldn't be a problem.

A loss to Djokovic would be understandable.

Start da Game
01-26-2011, 06:36 PM
if he loses another slam final here, he may as well open a laundry shop in scotland.......

Sofonda Cox
01-26-2011, 06:38 PM
if he loses another slam final here, he may as well open a laundry shop in scotland.......

And that would be an even worse failure, judging by how many of them stink.

Start da Game
01-26-2011, 06:40 PM
haha.....

West Egg
01-26-2011, 07:10 PM
It will obviously hurt him a lot if he loses, but I think that he's way too good and strong enough mentality to move on (and keep on trying/improving).

Arkulari
01-26-2011, 07:23 PM
how many finals did Lendl lose before he won his first? Agassi lost his first three as well if I'm not mistaken :scratch:

if he's bound to win a GS, he will, no matter how many finals he lose before :shrug:

DrJules
01-26-2011, 07:43 PM
No because he's about to get a first class ass kicking by a young lad named Novak Djokovic. Then again he can always upset. But Djokovic form is far greater than Federer's at the moment and arguably at the level of Nadal's optimum, currently speaking.

However, if Djokovic was defeated by Federer, Murray should definitely seal the deal and be able to take down both Ferrer and Federer without any BS excuses. He's had experience with both, knows how to go about defeating them, shouldn't be a problem.

Murray is playing well enough to win and knows it. Mentally how he handles the occasion is the big unknown and I have uncertainties over that area. Murray is well equiped to beat all left in the draw, but needs to execute to win and that will be dictated between the ears.

severus
01-26-2011, 08:07 PM

Hilarious:worship:

Horatio Caine
01-26-2011, 08:32 PM
It will obviously hurt him a lot if he loses, but I think that he's way too good and strong enough mentality to move on (and keep on trying/improving).

If he does fall short again this week, hopefully he will learn from his post-AO period last year, because sadly it took him him until the summer to get over it.

He needs to continue to win strings of matches to maintain a good level of confidence, and also to put the fear of God into some of the more dangerous lower-ranked players. There would be nothing like going onto court knowing that his opponent is apprehensive as early as the warm-up.

It would also be good for him to consolidate a top 4 ranking, and try to ruffle some feathers amongst the leading trio. I'm sure that none of them are particularly concerned about rankings when there are Slams to be won, but it could help in any mental battles.

scoobs
01-27-2011, 12:13 AM
I'm less concerned with him winning or losing, if he should make the final, though obviously I want him to win.

What I really want to see is him be competitive, truly competitive.

He was competitive in the second set of the US Open final in 2008 but still lost it 7-5.

He was competitive in the third set of the Australian Open final in 2010 but still lost it 7-6

If he gets to the final, then he really needs to bring some of his best tennis, get out to a good start and if he loses, at least make the opponent know they've been in a war - that's what has been a little disappointing to me in his last two outing, though I'm still very happy he's been even able to get that far.

abraxas21
01-27-2011, 12:17 AM
Murray is playing well enough to win and knows it. Mentally how he handles the occasion is the big unknown and I have uncertainties over that area. Murray is well equiped to beat all left in the draw, but needs to execute to win and that will be dictated between the ears.

this

i think he'll win the AO. He should beat Ferrer and all his matches against Fed prove he can beat him when Fed isn't playing at his very best and fed hasnt been at his very best at all throughout the tourney.

stebs
01-27-2011, 12:43 AM
I'm less concerned with him winning or losing, if he should make the final, though obviously I want him to win.

What I really want to see is him be competitive, truly competitive.

He was competitive in the second set of the US Open final in 2008 but still lost it 7-5.

He was competitive in the third set of the Australian Open final in 2010 but still lost it 7-6

If he gets to the final, then he really needs to bring some of his best tennis, get out to a good start and if he loses, at least make the opponent know they've been in a war - that's what has been a little disappointing to me in his last two outing, though I'm still very happy he's been even able to get that far.

Whilst what you say is true, it is unsurprising that Murray was swept aside here last year and expecting him to go toe to toe with Federer as he played in last years final is wishful thinking. That was one of the best slam matches I've seen Federer play, simply everything working. At USO '08 Murray was clearly a bit fatigued mentally and physically, he ended up getting punished for playing too passive. However, I think he got the balance totally right last year, he just came up against Federer in vintage form, arguably the best hardcourter of all time. If Murray plays at a similar level this year, he'll have a pretty decent chance I think, against either Federer or Djokovic (assuming Murray can navigate pass Ferrer).

scoobs
01-27-2011, 12:47 AM
Whilst what you say is true, it is unsurprising that Murray was swept aside here last year and expecting him to go toe to toe with Federer as he played in last years final is wishful thinking. That was one of the best slam matches I've seen Federer play, simply everything working. At USO '08 Murray was clearly a bit fatigued mentally and physically, he ended up getting punished for playing too passive. However, I think he got the balance totally right last year, he just came up against Federer in vintage form, arguably the best hardcourter of all time. If Murray plays at a similar level this year, he'll have a pretty decent chance I think, against either Federer or Djokovic (assuming Murray can navigate pass Ferrer).
I agree to an extent but I do feel Murray rather allowed Federer to settle into his stride in the early goings last year, rather than immediately trying to establish himself, as someone else has said elsewhere, it almost seemed like he wanted to show how nonchalant he was about going behind, thinking he could get back into it - he wasted break points early in the first set pretty casually and that really seemed to settle Roger down. Federer played a superb match last year and it's perfectly possible that Andy could have done nothing to change the outcome, but I do feel Andy's approach made the thing more one-sided than perhaps it might have been.

green25814
01-27-2011, 12:55 AM
Murray is a pro. Losing another final would hurt, but he'll get over it.

Yazoo.C
01-27-2011, 01:12 AM
I don't even want to think about it :sobbing:

01-31-2011, 01:14 AM
I don't even want to think about it :sobbing:

The time is not near, the time is indeed, here :sobbing: