AO QF: Murray beats Dolgopolov 7-5 6-3 6-7(3) 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

AO QF: Murray beats Dolgopolov 7-5 6-3 6-7(3) 6-3

LocoPorElTenis
01-26-2011, 05:48 AM
Dolgo :worship: . He sure made a lot of new fans this tournament and this match.

Good match by both players :yeah:

Jacques_Ukraine
01-26-2011, 05:48 AM
No sensation, however it was the toughest match for Andy and he lost a set for the first time

Ilovetheblues_86
01-26-2011, 05:49 AM
Dolgopolov seemed satisfied with taking one set.

Clydey
I didn't think Murray looked at all convincing. On the plus side, he won while playing poorly and serving horribly.

Dolgo has a bright future. His CC forehand is lethal. Pulls players so wide.

Jacques_Ukraine
I'm only the second :)

amaze
01-26-2011, 05:50 AM
In a couple of years term this Dolgo will be outplaying the likes of Murray on a regular basis.:)

Do your duty in the semi, Murray.

LocoPorElTenis
01-26-2011, 05:50 AM
I didn't think Murray looked at all convincing. On the plus side, he won while playing poorly and serving horribly.

Other than atrocious serving early in the first set, he played a good match. Give Dolgo some credit for disrupting the opponent's game.

kindling
01-26-2011, 05:51 AM
Well done Dolgo, making tennis exciting to watch again. Hopefully Murray can step his game up against Rafa, if Rafa gets through.

Jacques_Ukraine
01-26-2011, 05:52 AM
No sensation, however it was the toughest match for Andy and he lost a set for the first time

green25814
Phew. Just pleased to see the end of that match, Dolgo is a crazy player.

Henry Chinaski
The job threw up some unique and unexpected difficulties but The Tradesman had the tools to cope nonetheless.

Guy Haines
It's a pleasure to see Dolgopolov on the big stage and I hope he has an excellent year.

Corey Feldman
Nadal fans

"come on Dolgo, win"
"... win another point"
"just win and save Rafa!!! :awww: "

:haha:

on your faces !!!!

Clydey
Other than atrocious serving early in the first set, he played a good match. Give Dolgo some credit for disrupting the opponent's game.

I am. I thought Dolgo was excellent. I just thought Murray became more passive than usual in the 3rd. I'm most concerned with the lapses he has when he has a lead. He shouldn't have allowed Dolgo back into the 3rd.

EternalxJourney
01-26-2011, 05:53 AM
Congrats to both players. I hate espn for not showing the on-court interview.

Pirata.
Alex needs to work a bit on his consistency and net game, but he's going to be a good player. Hope he can avoid the AO surprise curse.

Andy was solid, just not used to playing someone like Dolgo. Needs to seriously work on his serve :o

stzenit
Tie Break was 7-3 :rolleyes:

MsTree
01-26-2011, 05:54 AM
I really like Dolgopolov's game, good to watch :) Bright future ahead hopefully!

Well done Andy, you ground it out. Vamos for the semis :D

LocoPorElTenis
I am. I thought Dolgo was excellent. I just thought Murray became more passive than usual in the 3rd. I'm most concerned with the lapses he has when he has a lead. He shouldn't have allowed Dolgo back into the 3rd.

I don't disagree, but Dolgo did have a patch in the third when he was playing out of his skin (and he started playing out of his skin out of nowhere). It's hard not to have a mental lapse in a 5-set match where you're actually being tested. The great thing for him is how he recovered in the 4th.

NadalesDios
All the murray hype was bullshit, 4 tight seeds vs an unseed noone.Nadal will crush him

GhostUnholy
Posted this in the livescores thread, figured i'd repost my thoughts on dolgo's game here:

this guy reminds me of baghdatis. not in gamestyle, but in the fact that he's a guy with great skills, but questionable physical tools, streaky, and just all over the place mentally. unless he gains more discipline and consistency I can't see him becoming a mainstay in the top 10 even if he does reach it at some point

that said, I hope I'm wrong and that dolgopolov, raonic, and some of the other young guys are for real. we need some new blood at the top

blank_frackis
Certainly fun watching Dolgopolov. Match summed up by him playing superb tennis to take the third set then immediately losing the first 14 points of the fourth set. If he can get some more consistency he'll be a great player, no question.

Pirata.
Nadal fans

"come on Dolgo, win"
"... win another point"
"just win and save Rafa!!! :awww: "

:haha:

on your faces !!!!

:spit:

Just a day or so ago, they were calling him a fluke and a clown :awww:

Start da Game
01-26-2011, 05:56 AM
dolgopolov's forehand crosscourt and that slider serve going away from the deuce court seem to have greatness written over them........

Lopez

Dolgo junkballed Murray into making some errors much like Murray does to some other players :p. Glad that Andy won though. Dolgo has an unusual game.

His CC forehand is indeed good but his game has technical flaws that might be exposed as players play him more often. For instance, he can't really hit a good flat forehand (on shoulder-height balls). All his offensive forehands came from lower balls. When Murray hit a heavily topspinned defensive ball to Dolgo's forehand corner, Dolgo couldn't blast the ball flat DTL with conviction, rather he almost always resulted in a loopy, angled forehand which Murray always ran down easily.

RagingLamb
Solid performance by Murray despite the serve and other problems early on.

Dolgo has a lot of potential, but he hit 77 unforced errors. Way too many to be competitive at this stage.

romismak
01-26-2011, 05:57 AM
Murray was passive, Dolgo was pretty offensive, he is fun to watch- really no one play like him. His style is unique right now on the tour, but he must changed some things if he wants to became truly elite player- sometimes he just without thinking play on risk- that cost him many cheap points, but it is part of his game. Murray wasn´t playing poorly- it is all about your opponent- of course when Andy played some weaker players before he looked much better, only serve was today poorer than other days and about his passive game- even that Dolgopolov is playing really aggresive yo style can play more agressive too- look at Soderling- yes he was playing badly but he was playing aggresive and Dolgo was the one who was defending and waitn for Robin UE, so it is Murray´s fault that he played too passive in 3rd set and lost it in tie-break.

Start da Game
01-26-2011, 05:57 AM
i am convinced that nadal will crush murray.......

tests
01-26-2011, 05:58 AM
i want to see muzza eat rafa alive.

LocoPorElTenis
01-26-2011, 05:59 AM
A key point in the match was in the second set when Dolgo had game points and missed an easy BH overhead with the court wide open. He was broken and lost the set.

In general he wasted tons of gps and made his service games a lot more difficult than they should have been. In the last game of the first set he was broken while serving 5 aces :eek: .

He was smart in changing strategies during the match. In the beginning the game plan was to avoid any long rallies and go for winners as early as possible. Problem is, he was missing all those wild winner attempts. As the match went on he became more patient and even won some long rallies Murray-style (though his ue count was high throughout the match).

Murray pushed a lot but it was the right way to play Dolgopolov, as Tsonga and Söderling can attest.

careergrandslam
01-26-2011, 05:59 AM
rafa is finished.

Clydey
01-26-2011, 06:00 AM
Completely different match against Rafa. It's absurd to judge how it will go based on this match. Dolgo and Nadal play nothing like each other, obviously.

Corey Feldman
i am convinced that nadal will crush murray.......Nice mantra

you, careergrandslam, nadalesrios, Mungo keep saying it 100 times over and it will come true

green25814
So, am I the only person who thinks Dolgo is basically Davydenko with a serve? Its scary.

Arkulari
01-26-2011, 06:01 AM
Dolgo is a very unortodox player and it's refreshing to watch someone who does things his own way instead of copy the motions of others, his FH is specially interesting

He fought well in the match, but Murray is in a totally different level, so the result was NID

Lopez
01-26-2011, 06:01 AM
So, am I the only person who thinks Dolgo is basically Davydenko with a serve? Its scary.

lol wut?

WarriorA
01-26-2011, 06:02 AM
A good match. Dolgopolov had a great tournament. I'm thoroughly impressed. When I first saw him last year on clay I wondered if his game would translate well onto the hardcourts. There's no doubt about it now. All-court game, definite weapons, variety, crafty and unconventional, fighting spirit, humility. Hmmn. Total package. :yeah:

Clydey

You think he plays like Davydenko? I'm at a loss.

Tonkie13
Nadal needs to beat ferrer first

LocoPorElTenis
01-26-2011, 06:03 AM

If by "is basically Davydenko" you mean "is completely different from Davydenko", then you may have a point

Guy Haines
There are fans of all stripes who followed Olek long before this match.

It's great to see him step up at the Australian. His game is mercurial but it can be so fun to watch. I foolishly doubted he had it in him to go this far because I thought he'd struggle with the heat. But the conditions turned out ideal, and his serve continues to get better.

It's tempting to worry that the impulsiveness behind his wizard shots is inherently connected to the walkabouts. But if he improves his concentration more players are going to have reason to worry when facing him.

chammer44
Dolgo is 22 years old.

Potential is what you say about a guy at 17, 18.

Lets not get carried away.

green25814

lol wut?

Ok, so his groundstrokes aren't as technically perfect, but he hits beautiful, flat angles from both sides, is an excellent retriever and mover. Both are small, light players. Main difference is Dolgo has a serve.

careergrandslam
01-26-2011, 06:04 AM
i am convinced that nadal will crush murray.......

ur wrong this time bro

TMJordan
Dolgo will be top 10 by the end of the year.

Murray will beat Nadal.

Corey Feldman
So, am I the only person who thinks Dolgo is basically Davydenko with a serve? Its scary.reminds me of Rios

nothing like Denko

HarryMan

They both play right handed, and the similarity ends right there ...

Henry Chinaski
01-26-2011, 06:05 AM
Dolgo can take the ball on the rise, especially the bh return but that's about the only similarity I see with Davydenko.

Clydey
Ok, so his groundstrokes aren't as technically perfect, but he hits beautiful, flat angles from both sides, is an excellent retriever and mover. Both are small, light players. Main difference is Dolgo has a serve.

And changes the pace, hits dropshots, comes to the net, etc.

LocoPorElTenis
Dolgo is 22 years old.

Nowadays players mature later. Nobody's saying he'll be the next Nadal (or Federer), but 22 is certainly young and the potential is there.

NadalesDios
Nice mantra

you, careergrandslam, nadalesrios, Mungo keep saying it 100 times over and it will come true

Your boy has been more than 3 hours and 4 sets to beat a kid 46th in the world, very, very poor, we will see how he does against the number 1 with 9 GS in his back

Topspindoctor
Mugray bullshits his way into another slam semi :rolleyes: Does he ever do anything apart from slicing and waiting for errors?

Corey Feldman
01-26-2011, 06:06 AM
as for Murray's performance

all you can say is Ferrer better bring his best game against him next

philosophicalarf
01-26-2011, 06:06 AM

Davy hits everything as flat as he can, pretty much at the same pace (ie nearly as hard as he can). Rhythmic, aggressive baseliner, wants to dominate every point.

Dolgo changes spins and speeds constantly, and leans more towards counterpuncher. You saw a more aggressive version of his game tonight because of who he was playing. His forehand is also completely different from Davy's, so much more whip and spin.

TMJordan
01-26-2011, 06:07 AM
Dolgo is Rios.

Corey Feldman
Your boy has been more than 3 hours and 4 sets to beat a kid 46th in the world, very, very poor, we will see how he does against the number 1 with 9 GS in his backYour boy was 0-4 down to a #200 ranked junior who choked

Lopez

Dude their games are FAR away from each other.

Sure, he's a good mover and a light player. That doesn't make them similar though :p

Clydey
as for Murray's performance

all you can say is Ferrer better bring his best game against him next

BOL Nadal.

green25814
01-26-2011, 06:08 AM
And changes the pace, hits dropshots, comes to the net, etc.

Davydenko changes the pace on occasion. And he often finishes points at the net like Dolgo.

I suppose they are fairly different though. I think its the way Dolgo moves which reminds me of him.

Regenbogen
01-26-2011, 06:10 AM
Kind of a random match IMO. Not really sure what Murray will be like in the semi.

I hope we'll see a lot more of Dolgopolov in the future; I like watching him.

NadalesDios
Your boy was 0-4 down to a #200 ranked junior who choked

The only one in the tournament with 0 sets lost

Pirata.
Your boy was 0-4 down to a #200 ranked junior who choked

:lol:

habibko
Mugray bullshits his way into another slam semi :rolleyes: Does he ever do anything apart from slicing and waiting for errors?

why were you bitching about him falling in Nadal's half if he only does that?

Clydey
Davydenko changes the pace on occasion. And he often finishes points at the net like Dolgo.

I suppose they are fairly different though. I think its the way Dolgo moves which reminds me of him.

Davy comes in for putaways. Big difference. And he rarely changes the pace. Davydenko is an aggressive baseliner and plays one way.

LocoPorElTenis
01-26-2011, 06:11 AM
Murray played a solid match against a good and unconventional opponent... if anything this is good for him looking forward to his next match. Nadal fans gloating because he lost a set are really clueless.

philosophicalarf
01-26-2011, 06:11 AM
The only one in the tournament with 0 sets lost

Having played....

an injured claycourter who was hobbling around

a guy who fires in first serves at 95mph

a junior

the biggest choker in the top100, who was fresh off a 4.5 hour match the prev round.

hilluis
01-26-2011, 06:12 AM
It's all about consistency. Dolgopolov has played well in Australia, but it will not mean much if he doesn't back it up with good results in other ATP tournaments. Great ( refreshing) to see someone give so much effort when two sets down. Not like Berdych......

LocoPorElTenis
01-26-2011, 06:13 AM
By the way, why does Murray c'mons a lot more often on opponents' ues (or forced errors at best) rather than own winners? I find it not only disrespectful but downright strange... the natural impulse is to let your emotions go after you've done a great play, not when the opponent nets an easy ball.

HarryMan
01-26-2011, 06:13 AM
Good showing from Dolgopolov, he certainly has lots of different strokes, and mixes up the pace quite well. But he tends to slice a bit too much for my liking. Luckily for him Murray went into a pusher mode and that helped him win more points than what he should have.

Murray should have closed it out in the third, he failed to do so, and the youngster started playing superb tennis (showing his complete skills).

I think if Murray had player more aggressively, he could have won this one more comfortably. He needs a completely different approach to stand a chance for the semi final if Nadal comes through today.

green25814
01-26-2011, 06:14 AM
It is funny to see Rafa fans complaining Murray's draw. The only live player Rafa has faced has been Bernard Tomic :lol:

Clydey
01-26-2011, 06:15 AM
By the way, why does Murray c'mons a lot more often on opponents' ues (or forced errors at best) rather than own winners? I find it not only disrespectful but downright strange... the natural impulse is to let your emotions go after you've done a great play, not when the opponent nets an easy ball.

I don't see it as disrespectful. He either does it to fire himself up or when he wins a big point, no matter how he wins it. A point is a point. You don't get a bonus for hitting a winner, so I don't see the problem.

Maybe that's your natural impulse, but it isn't mine. Mine is to celebrate winning a big point.

Puschkin
Because he is a jerk.

green25814

I don't think he discriminates as to him hitting a winner or an opponent's error, he just does it on the big points, since they are more emotional. It is bad though I agree.

DTL
01-26-2011, 06:16 AM

I think he is more of a right-handed Marcelo Rios (who incidentally is his favorite player)

Topspindoctor
It is funny to see Rafa fans complaining Murray's draw. The only live player Rafa has faced has been Bernard Tomic :lol:

I thought many clowns here claimed Cilic would "roast" Nadal?

NadalesDios
4 sets to beat a player with 77 ues!!!Nadal won't make more than 20

hilluis
01-26-2011, 06:17 AM
Good showing from Dolgopolov, he certainly has lots of different strokes, and mixes up the pace quite well. But he tends to slice a bit too much for my liking. Luckily for him Murray went into a pusher mode and that helped him win more points than what he should have.

Murray should have closed it out in the third, he failed to do so, and the youngster started playing superb tennis (showing his complete skills).

I think if Murray had player more aggressively, he could have won this one more comfortably. He needs a completely different approach to stand a chance for the semi final if Nadal comes through today.

Agree. Murray needs to find a better balance between defence and aggression. He should get out of his comfort zone more....... that way, eventually the comfort zone should change and defence wont be his automatic default setting,,,,, as it once was for Rafa.

Corey Feldman
01-26-2011, 06:18 AM
Because he is a jerk.please be respectful after how well i've treated Gasquet over the years for you

scoobs
Well three sets is better than four but I will take this, Dolgo already beat two top fifteen players this tournament. Just hope Andy recovers well for the big sf

I like this Dolgo a lot, but he kinda gave that second set away by losing confidence. Something he needs to work on but still what a superb tournament from him, I will be watching him with pleasure this year!

tsmile789
Not to be rude or sth but DOPOKOLOV PLAYED LIKE A MAD MAN he was rushing the points too much and kinda force those77 Unforce Errors that's unspeakable but I was actually hoping he won cos his game has so much variety n pace if he can tone it down and control it abit but on the flipside I think Murray won but he'll be a little bit light headed after this insane match by Alex...

Guy Haines
01-26-2011, 06:19 AM
The Murray of a few years ago would have found a way to muck up this match. His experience, especially at majors, helped him against Doll.

LocoPorElTenis
01-26-2011, 06:20 AM
I don't see it as disrespectful. He either does it to fire himself up or win he wins a big point, no matter how he wins it. A point is a point. You don't get a bonus for hitting a winner, so I don't see the problem.

A point is a point but celebrating other people's mistakes doesn't come across as civilized in any aspect of life, and this is no different.
He has an appealing game (to me) but his on-court demeanor is a turn off... it's the same as apologizing for netcords, of course players don't feel really sorry but it's just basic education.

Do you think it's ok to loudly shout c'mon after an opponent's double fault? Murray doesn't do it (AFAIK) but what is the limit?

sorry for taking the thread of topic. Back to the regular programming :wavey:

penzias
01-26-2011, 06:20 AM
Posted this in the livescores thread, figured i'd repost my thoughts on dolgo's game here:

this guy reminds me of baghdatis. not in gamestyle, but in the fact that he's a guy with great skills, but questionable physical tools, streaky, and just all over the place mentally. unless he gains more discipline and consistency I can't see him becoming a mainstay in the top 10 even if he does reach it at some point

that said, I hope I'm wrong and that dolgopolov, raonic, and some of the other young guys are for real. we need some new blood at the top
That description fits to many players, like Almagro.

scoobs
01-26-2011, 06:23 AM
Totally disagree on the aggression question, to me he lost the third set by losing focus and upping the aggression and giving Dolgo pace to use like tsonga and soderling did

Clydey
01-26-2011, 06:24 AM
A point is a point but celebrating other people's mistakes doesn't come across as civilized in any aspect of life, and this is no different.
He has an appealing game (to me) but his on-court demeanor is a turn off... it's the same as apologizing for netcords, of course players don't feel really sorry but it's just basic education.

Do you think it's ok to loudly shout c'mon after an opponent's double fault? Murray doesn't do it (AFAIK) but what is the limit?

sorry for taking the thread of topic. Back to the regular programming :wavey:

It depends on the point. Should a player suppress their emotions? Not in my opinion. Nadal cheers errors too and I don't see a problem with it. It's an emotional sport and winning a point is winning a point, no matter how you win it.

It's only disrespectful if it is intended to be disrespectful. If you choose to interpret it that way, that's really your problem.

MsTree
01-26-2011, 06:25 AM
Because he is a jerk.

Fact of the matter is that nearly every player does it. It grates on me far more when Gasquet or Federer do it but I'm willing to accept it's because I don't like them very much :lol:

Start da Game
01-26-2011, 06:27 AM
murrat tards have started wetting their pants at the prospect of murrat playing the spartan........someone suggest them that they better keep a few extra trousers ready for friday........

LocoPorElTenis
01-26-2011, 06:28 AM
It depends on the point. Should a player suppress their emotions? Not in my opinion. Nadal cheers errors too and I don't see a problem with it. It's an emotional sport and winning a point is winning a point, no matter how you win it.

It's only disrespectful if it is intended to be disrespectful. If you choose to interpret it that way, that's really your problem.

We can agree to disagree. I certainly don't mind emotional players at all, quite the opposite. A player like Tsonga is very emotional but you will never see him cheering the opponent's ues. I still think sometimes one should be a more subdued in order to show respect to people around. BTW I think it's just as wrong when Nadal does it (he doesn't do it so often though and he's much more emotional after hitting winners in important points)

Start da Game
01-26-2011, 06:29 AM
it's interesting that dolgopolov had 77 unforced errors and still the contest was closer than what it looks with the score.......

Arkulari
01-26-2011, 06:30 AM

Murray has really cut down on the whole c'mon thing, a couple of years ago it was even for DFs, but it is still annoying, no matter whose player does it :shrug:

Rafa is fist-pumping less and less these days, only for really good winners, in his younger years it was almost for every point :lol:

No one is perfect and well, everyone has a few flaws, right? nothing wrong with that, just perceptions of what we like and don't like about a player ;)

green25814
01-26-2011, 06:32 AM
murrat tards have started wetting their pants at the prospect of murrat playing the spartan........someone suggest them that they better keep a few extra trousers ready for friday........

Thanks for the advice Start da Game!

Nah though, I support Murray but I don't particularly care if he loses to Nadal. I'd like him to win, but I'm more concerned as to whether he plays to his potential. If Rafa is too good, then Rafa will be too good.

tests
01-26-2011, 06:32 AM

lmao this guy always cracks me up.

Heres hoping to a good semis between nadull/muzza. :wavey::wavey::worship::worship::devil::devil:

gusavo
01-26-2011, 06:33 AM
it's interesting that dolgopolov had 77 unforced errors and still the contest was closer than what it looks with the score.......
you mean less close

Synesthetic
01-26-2011, 06:34 AM
I'm not sure why Soderling thinks Dolgopolov has such a good backhand - it's very unorthodox with an extreme grip, and he was hitting a fair number of backhands into the net because he hits it so flat, or pulling them wide when he tried to go down the line. If anything his forehand seems to be the weapon. Anyone have any insight?

Puschkin
01-26-2011, 06:34 AM
Fact of the matter is that nearly every player does it. It grates on me far more when Gasquet or Federer do it but I'm willing to accept it's because I don't like them very much :lol:

:topic: I am not against fist bumping or showing emotions. But as the OP pointed out Murray does it mainly on opponents' simple UEs, even on DFs, not on his own winners, and THIS, I find odd. I have noted it long ago, and in fact it is one of the reasons why I dislke Murray.

MsTree
01-26-2011, 06:36 AM
:topic: I am not against fist bumping or showing emotions. But as the OP pointed out Murray does it mainly on opponents' simple UEs, even on DFs, not on his own winners, and THIS, I find odd. I have noted it long ago, and in fact it is one of the reasons why I dislke Murray.

Did you hear Fed cheer one of Gilles' DFs in their R2 match? Nice :p Each to their own I guess :lol:

finn98
01-26-2011, 06:42 AM

If Cilic had made 77 UEs...this place would have been a riot :lol:

delboy
01-26-2011, 06:48 AM
muzza pushed his way through to win but thats all he needed to do in this match. expect a much more aggressive muzza against nadull. one thing hes gonna have to improve is his serve...it was beyond garbage.

solowyn
01-26-2011, 06:49 AM
He needs a completely different approach to stand a chance for the semi final if Nadal comes through today.
Murray always turns on the aggression when playing Nadal, he knows :yeah:

What a wicked AO this has been for Alex :D Great showing, taking it to Murray. Dolgo is usually known for his outrageous UEs, if he hits a ball long then it goes out by 50 feet. Saw much much less of that in this tourny and that controlled aggression is a great sign for him for this year.

Start da Game
01-26-2011, 06:51 AM

just look at their insults already, so cowardly.......they are terrified of fit nadal.......

Nidhogg
01-26-2011, 06:55 AM
It's always nice to see two crafty players clash. Hope they meet again this year in conditions where the pace of the court doesn't turn things into too much of a farce.

GhostUnholy
01-26-2011, 06:58 AM
Dolgo is a very unortodox player and it's refreshing to watch someone who does things his own way instead of copy the motions of others, his FH is specially interesting

He fought well in the match, but Murray is in a totally different level, so the result was NID

It's interesting to watch for sure, his technically unorthodox strokes seem to have some limitations (ability to handle high balls for one), don't seem that mechanically efficient, and only time will tell if they will result in any injuries.

If by "is basically Davydenko" you mean "is completely different from Davydenko", then you may have a point

:lol:

Dolgo is 22 years old.

Like in all sports, tennis players follow different development curves. Some people peak a little later than others, Soderling of course being one of the most recent examples

NadalesDios
01-26-2011, 07:01 AM

Nadal in his match vs Cilic made 21 errors!!!!!!! and Cilic 48.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/stats/day13/1401ms.html

Synesthetic
01-26-2011, 07:06 AM

The foundations of their playing styles are completely different. Dolgopolov is unpredictable variety, Davydenko is the polar opposite :lol:

heya
01-26-2011, 07:09 AM
Even though Dolgo lost, he still is sweet & his darting around the court is cute.

KarlyM
Dolgo had a real good tournament. :yeah:

Murray handled this match well. :) Hopefully the SF will be exciting.

Arkulari
It's interesting to watch for sure, his technically unorthodox strokes seem to have some limitations (ability to handle high balls for one), don't seem that mechanically efficient, and only time will tell if they will result in any injuries.

yeah, his FH has likeness with some of the WTA ones (Schiavone for example), it's very unorthodox for this era, because everyone is taught to hit with tons of topspin nowadays, it's strange to find someone who's hitting such flat strokes day in and day out.

I hope his style doesn't bring him any physical issues like Del Potro's destruction of wrist due to the movement of his FH (another unortodox shot due to technique even if he's more orthodox in the effects themselves).

paseo
01-26-2011, 07:17 AM
just look at their insults already, so cowardly.......they are terrified of fit nadal.......

So, Nadal is fit. No excuses if he loses against Murray, okay?

GhostUnholy
01-26-2011, 07:22 AM
yeah, his FH has likeness with some of the WTA ones (Schiavone for example), it's very unorthodox for this era, because everyone is taught to hit with tons of topspin nowadays, it's strange to find someone who's hitting such flat strokes day in and day out.

I hope his style doesn't bring him any physical issues like Del Potro's destruction of wrist due to the movement of his FH (another unortodox shot due to technique even if he's more orthodox in the effects themselves).

I see what you're saying and agree to a point, but I'm not convinced that his forehand and service motions are mechanically great for his shoulder, particularly his rotator cuff. Obviously I'm no expert on biomechanics or anything, it's just a guess, and we'll have to see how he handles the grind of the tour in the future

Certinfy
01-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Good win Andy :yeah:

coonster14
01-26-2011, 07:33 AM
We can not really get a good indication of what Murray's form will be like in the SF, mainly because all the attention and spotlight was on Dolgo in today's match.

I like watching Dolgo, he has a very unorthodox game which makes it interesting to watch, but he definitely has a long way to go in terms of playing the right shot at the right time. Some really bad decisions out there, but that is to be expected from a guy who is in his first grand slam QF. Props to him for a great run and for taking out Tsonga and Soderling. :worship:

Murray- brainfarted and got way too passive at the end of the 3rd set, but woke up in time to seal the SF berth in the 4th set. He can not afford lapses like that against Rafa (or Ferrer). Best of luck Muzza. :yeah:

born_on_clay
01-26-2011, 07:41 AM
Poor result for tennis

Voo de Mar
01-26-2011, 07:44 AM
I think Dolgopolov played better tennis than in his two previous matches which he won. He's got amazing backhand acceleration, nice to watch, good for the game that he has developed as a tennis player during the fortnight in Melbourne :yeah:

FlameOn
01-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Muzza. :bowdown:

Nothing against Dolgo personally but his strokes to me look hideous, and he's going to put his back out one day with that service motion. :help:

Vida
01-26-2011, 08:32 AM
unorthodox indeed. no wonder he broke through at 22.

finishingmove
01-26-2011, 08:37 AM
dolgo could've done better here.

let's hope he'll improve his mentality furthermore instead of sinking after this.

(he made way too many errors today)

Sonja1989
01-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Dolgo will has great career. Good week! :worship:

swebright
01-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Andy is not looking sharp or aggressive (well may be comparing too much to Novak).

Vida
01-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Andy is not looking sharp or aggressive (well may be comparing too much to Novak).

hehe :yeah:

nole_no1
01-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Good fight Dolgo :yeah:

Helevorn
01-26-2011, 10:22 AM
So, Nadal is fit. No excuses if he loses against Murray, okay?

:worship:

JanKowalski
01-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Dolgo needs to work on his forehand return, smash and general net play. Other than that, he is a great player.

gjr
01-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Just got back from the tennis. A great day. Murray was good, Dolgo played a great match and looks like in a couple of years he could be a real challenger.

No-one is stopping Murray this year.

tennizen
01-26-2011, 11:47 AM
I thought Murray played a good match. However, he got too comfortable when he had the lead in the third.To be fair to him, it looked like Dolgo had given up by that point. He was strewing errors too freely.

Dolgo has a fantastic future if he continues like this. However, unless he gets things a bit more together he's going to be more dangerous in slams than the 3 set format.He goes on walkabouts for entire sets.

Fun match to watch.

Yazoo.C
01-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Brilliant Andy! Keep on going :yeah:

Blackbriar
01-26-2011, 12:06 PM
This is real tennis :yeah: this Dolgopolov almost made Murray mad, just committed too much UE to win it. Murray was constantly under pressure but survived anyway, thanks to his brilliant defense.
I think about a Murray-Djokovic final.

Love Game
01-26-2011, 12:19 PM
After the tiebreaker Dolgo mugged it up big time. He lost like 14 straight points or something!

guga2120
01-26-2011, 01:33 PM
Andy is still playing very well, but if he is going to win, he will have to get slightly more aggressive, especially against Novak or Federer. Hoepfully he can do it this time, finally.

GlennMirnyi
01-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Atrocious third set by Mugray. That kid is so lazy on court. He steps up once every 10 games.

rocketassist
01-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Atrocious third set by Mugray. That kid is so lazy on court. He steps up once every 10 games.

Agree with that. Very laboured, cba attitude a lot. Pics won't let him off for it.

He'll lose to Fed on Sunday, book it.

GlennMirnyi
01-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Agree with that. Very laboured, cba attitude a lot. Pics won't let him off for it.

He'll lose to Fed on Sunday, book it.

Playing like that he will, easily.

NJ88
01-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Solid match from Murray. He didn't play the best he has this tournament, but he managed to get through the match without a massive fuss, the mark of a great player. Murrays going to be tough to beat again this year.

West Egg
01-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Good win for Andy!

Both players seemed flustered throughout the match. Lots of highs and lows for each. But I gotta give props to Dolgo for fighting until the very end. Though, I do not like his apparent strategy of going 1-4 or 0-4, then going for the comeback :mad:. Still, it will be interesting to see how this kid develops. I think he has what it takes to be top 10 in the future.

Raquel
01-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Come on Andy!! :bounce:

*Jean*
01-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Alex :hug: