Tennis: The Beautiful Game [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tennis: The Beautiful Game

BlueSoul Formula
01-26-2011, 03:33 AM
Tennis is a sport that dominates culture all over the world. What other sport unites a nation behind one man? In football the nation gets behind a team which is easy to do, but in tennis it encompasses the entire desire of one nation and it is all placed on the broad shoulders of one brave soul. The immense pressure these athletes must feel is enormous. A raving fan's appetite for glory will either be satisfied or denied by the skill and mental fortitude of one man. Take the one raving fan and multiply it by millions. The people unite and place all of their hope into a man to swing a constructed tool to strike a constructed projectile and in doing so give great pleasure to the throngs of people or thrust the nation into a sad state.

In this way tennis is what comprehends the people, it is what unites and it is what separates when the results go another way. Football is often called the beautiful game, but what can be more beautiful that one hero bringing glory to an entire people?

Pirata.
01-26-2011, 05:13 AM
:retard:

Tennis is an individual sport, not a nationalistic one.

BlueSoul Formula
02-08-2011, 01:35 AM
I am utterly dissapointed that this thread has not recieved any attention(I do not count that ignorant response from the gentleman above me). Take a nation like Serbia for an example. A nation torn asunder by war and strife and isnnow united by a great athlete that just happens to share the same blood as them. Blood unites in tennis instead of dissolving friendships as it does in war.

GlennMirnyi
02-08-2011, 01:48 AM
Yeah, I mean Serbs are nationalistic only for Fakervic.

:lol: what an amazing thread.

Mjau!
02-08-2011, 02:51 AM
Tennis is not that important... not so big deal who wins... not like soccer... they are :crazy:

oranges
02-08-2011, 02:53 AM
I refuse to read in blue

Getta
02-08-2011, 03:00 AM
I refuse to read in blue

you didn't miss anything too monumental.

BlueSoul Formula
02-14-2011, 01:32 AM
Let's revisit this idea. Some of you seem to have misunderstood my meaning. Tennis is an individual sport at its heart which makes it so beautiful, but what the individual does can inspire an entire nation or in some cases the entire world. Look at the great inspired icons of the world who have passed away. They were individuals who lived their own life but by doing that inspired millions. Tennis does the same at a athletic and aestehtic level.

Mjau!
02-14-2011, 01:37 AM
Not really...

Voo de Mar
02-14-2011, 02:12 AM
Tennis is indeed a beautiful game due to the other reasons than you mentioned in the first post of this thread.

Gabe32
02-14-2011, 02:40 AM
I agree with the piratesswoop. I don't see the game as nationalistic at all (other than Davis Cup and tournaments like it).

I wish the British media understood that and got off Andy Murray's back so he could play tennis.

I wish the American media understood that so they could stop glamorizing Andy Roddick and Serena Williams.

Benny_Maths
02-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Lol I thought this was going to be a Federer thread.

On a more relevant note, IMO jingoism is the ugliest thing about sport.

smoll
02-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Take a nation like Serbia for an example. A nation torn asunder by war and strife and isnnow united by a great athlete that just happens to share the same blood as them. Blood unites in tennis instead of dissolving friendships as it does in war.

what the heck and I though Serbia is united by Bozoljac.

MARTINBALDRIDGE
02-14-2011, 09:17 AM
I so wish that what you so beautifuuly wrote were true. In Andy Murray's case though over here in Britain it's not.

I doubt if the majority of British people would get behind him even if he were to win Wimbledon.

It must be great to live in a country where people really do get behind their sportsmen, and I do think it's a cultural thing - the Latin countries seem to have it sussed. And the scenes in Begrade in December were brilliant.

I don't think the American people really took to Sampras either - though living over here I wouldn't know.

Happy Valentine's Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4qklUCixAA&sns=em

THE TENNIS GUY

:wavey::worship::wavey:

kyleskywalker007
02-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Tennis is beautiful for a lot of reasons, except the one the OP mentioned. In fact, the words TENNIS and TEAM/NATIONALISM usually don't belong in the same sentence.

ariel2
02-14-2011, 05:19 PM
The blue font is very relaxing to look at. Same for the avatar.

Henry Chinaski
02-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Let's revisit this idea. Some of you seem to have misunderstood my meaning. Tennis is an individual sport at its heart which makes it so beautiful, but what the individual does can inspire an entire nation or in some cases the entire world. Look at the great inspired icons of the world who have passed away. They were individuals who lived their own life but by doing that inspired millions. Tennis does the same at a athletic and aestehtic level.

boxing

Mr. Oracle
02-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Tennis is a sport that dominates culture all over the world. What other sport unites a nation behind one man? In football the nation gets behind a team which is easy to do, but in tennis it encompasses the entire desire of one nation and it is all placed on the broad shoulders of one brave soul. The immense pressure these athletes must feel is enormous. A raving fan's appetite for glory will either be satisfied or denied by the skill and mental fortitude of one man. Take the one raving fan and multiply it by millions. The people unite and place all of their hope into a man to swing a constructed tool to strike a constructed projectile and in doing so give great pleasure to the throngs of people or thrust the nation into a sad state.

In this way tennis is what comprehends the people, it is what unites and it is what separates when the results go another way. Football is often called the beautiful game, but what can be more beautiful that one hero bringing glory to an entire people?

It takes one English major to recognize another. I think you care more for creative writing and embellishment than you do about the universal status of tennis. There is not a single serious or substantial argument made in the OP which is worth dissecting or analyzing. I see that you are still riding the euphoria from the winter Olympics however. Perhaps you can help organize the next games?:haha:

Mr. Oracle
02-14-2011, 09:21 PM

I always felt that teamwork was more aesthetically pleasing than individualism. I am not alone. Just wondering if you form your conclusions when you're on or off the pipe?

Helevorn
02-14-2011, 09:23 PM
:retard:

Tennis is an individual sport, not a nationalistic one.

Yes.

I don't care about Italy nor about nations, I care about my favourite players, how they play and how much fun I can obtain from their activities. None of the players I like are from Italy and I don't give many fucks about this..

Mr. Oracle
02-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Yes.

I don't care about Italy nor about nations, I care about my favourite players, how they play and how much fun I can obtain from their activities. None of the players I like are from Italy and I don't give many fucks about this..

Spoken like a true poet!! I agree with you. And it's even more fun when we can mock and make fun of opposing players.

v-money
02-14-2011, 09:30 PM
I agree with oracle here. The OP was either high on crack when he made this post of just wanted to use a bunch of fancy words without making a cohesive point.

v-money
02-14-2011, 09:31 PM
But the blue font leads me to believe he/she was high on crack.

Mr. Oracle
02-14-2011, 09:37 PM
But the blue font leads me to believe he/she was high on crack.

plus Italics to make it even harder for us to read.

Mjau!
02-15-2011, 04:30 AM
plus Italics to make it even harder for us to read.

Coloured blue AND tilted slightly to the right??? :eek: Yikes, you'd need an enigma to decipher that! :rolleyes:

BlueSoul Formula
03-09-2011, 01:55 AM
I always felt that teamwork was more aesthetically pleasing than individualism. I am not alone. Just wondering if you form your conclusions when you're on or off the pipe?

But what stitches the elaborate web of teamwork? Individuals coming together. The spider skates across the web stitching the artwork of a team. But who is the spider? Each and every individual. Individualism is more aesthetic because it is the will of one man vs the will of the other. No barriers that lie between them.

Seingeist
03-09-2011, 02:29 AM
Coloured blue AND tilted slightly to the right??? :eek: Yikes, you'd need an enigma to decipher that! :rolleyes:

Ironic from such a notorious font experimenter. ;)

Mjau!
03-09-2011, 03:41 AM
Ironic from such a notorious font experimenter. ;)

it was tsarcasm...

Bagelicious
03-09-2011, 05:54 AM
But what stitches the elaborate web of teamwork? Individuals coming together. The spider skates across the web stitching the artwork of a team. But who is the spider? Each and every individual. Individualism is more aesthetic because it is the will of one man vs the will of the other. No barriers that lie between them.

It takes one English major to recognize another. I think you care more for creative writing and embellishment than you do about the universal status of tennis. There is not a single serious or substantial argument made in the OP which is worth dissecting or analyzing.

Oracle I think you're onto something here - that level of pretentiousness can only be reached by an English major after smoking the 'good stuff' (only Vancouver's finest, none of that cheap bush-weed). :smoke:

FiBeR
03-09-2011, 06:12 AM
Take the one raving fan and multiply it by millions. The people unite and place all of their hope into a man to swing a constructed tool to strike a constructed projectile and in doing so give great pleasure to the throngs of people or thrust the nation into a sad state.

yes but what if this one man lacks of understanding and everyone decides to follow him? the dark force of tennis can be evil and you could just be multiplying the wrong person creating a world -ok, lets not get carried away, nation- chaos which would affect the comprehension of the sport.

The risk of picking the wrong raving fan is very dangerous, could even spoil the beauty of the game itself. Have you thought about that?

Blackbriar
03-09-2011, 10:40 AM
DC is all about nationalism. So tennis has still things to do with nation. And the same goes for OG.

BlueSoul Formula
03-29-2011, 02:10 AM
yes but what if this one man lacks of understanding and everyone decides to follow him? the dark force of tennis can be evil and you could just be multiplying the wrong person creating a world -ok, lets not get carried away, nation- chaos which would affect the comprehension of the sport.

The risk of picking the wrong raving fan is very dangerous, could even spoil the beauty of the game itself. Have you thought about that?

But even if the player does not reflect the true integrity of the game they could become a symbol for the game and it's uniting qualities as a whole. For instance take Che Guevara. The man himself not something to model yourself after because he mercilessly killed many people. However I do enjoy the people that wear his shirt because it is symbolic of something greater than one man, the idealism that can only be dreamed and fulfilled if everyone is on the same step.

BlueSoul Formula
04-13-2011, 03:09 AM
Any new ideas concerning my hypothesis? My latest point is still the most logically valid in this thread

Orka_n
04-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Pretty words without substance. :zzz:

Che Guevara? Idealism? Uniting nations? :shrug: Tennis doesn't do that better than any other sport.

Hewitt =Legend
04-13-2011, 09:48 AM
I'm colour blind..

Time Violation
04-13-2011, 10:12 AM
I am utterly dissapointed that this thread has not recieved any attention(I do not count that ignorant response from the gentleman above me). Take a nation like Serbia for an example. A nation torn asunder by war and strife and isnnow united by a great athlete that just happens to share the same blood as them. Blood unites in tennis instead of dissolving friendships as it does in war.

Wow, what an idealistic point of view. :) Serbia is certainly not "united by a great athlete" as you say. Some people who like tennis and/or sports in general will cheer for Novak and other Serbians and that's about it (some will come and gloat/troll here though, but that's another story :p).

out_here_grindin
10-28-2011, 05:30 AM
Uniting under one player is nice but it can also be dangerous. If that player fails to live up to expectations than it puts a ton of pressure on that individual

hisham70
10-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Federer makes tennis, Nadal ruins it.

Forehander
10-28-2011, 11:18 AM
People who pay out tennis in this thread shouldn't do it. It clearly shows you've tried playing the sport before and you're really bad at it :lol:

Sri
10-28-2011, 11:24 AM
The answer is 42.

FlameOn
10-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Why on earth do all you idiot think that you have patent on defining beautiful tennis.
I am a fan of Nadal an i find his play some of the most beautiful there is. some thing that excitethe crowds more than anything else is long rallys, and that is if anything, something that Rafa deliveres.