Federer 8th conescutive AO semi, best in open era, ties 2nd with Lendl for all slams [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer 8th conescutive AO semi, best in open era, ties 2nd with Lendl for all slams

01-25-2011, 02:44 AM
Federer has now reached his 8th consecutive semi final at AO, 2004-present, an incredible streak. This is the open era record for the AO, which he already held but has now improved.

In terms of the most at any event, he still trails the 11 USO semi final record, but has tied Lendl with 8 for 2nd equal. He has some ways to go before matching this but realistically has chances here and at the USO where he is also shooting for his 8th consecuitve semi final in flushing meadows this year.

Some might think this thread is tarding, but these are incredible stats of consistancy. Completely unparallled are these semi final runs (taken in their totality, along with the 7 straight at AO, Wimbledon and US Open), and like his total grand slam semi streak, streaks I think unlikely to be seen again perhaps in many of our lifetimes.

Discuss.

FedFan
01-25-2011, 02:49 AM
Federer has now reached his 8th consecutive semi final at AO, 2004-present, an incredible streak. This is the open era record for the AO, which he already held but has now improved.

In terms of the most at any event, he still trails the 11 USO semi final record, but has tied Lendl with 8 for 2nd equal. He has some ways to go before matching this but realistically has chances here and at the USO where he is also shooting for his 8th consecuitve semi final in flushing meadows this year.

Some might think this thread is tarding, but these are incredible stats of consistancy. Completely unparallled are these semi final runs (taken in their totality, along with the 7 straight at AO, Wimbledon and US Open), and like his total grand slam semi streak, streaks I think unlikely to be seen again perhaps in many of our lifetimes.

Discuss.

8 consecutive AO semis
7 consecutive Wimbledon finals
4 consecutive FO finals
6 consecutive US Open finals

GOAT stuff :cool:

Lleyton_
01-25-2011, 02:53 AM
Don't bore MIMIC with these pathetic statistics ;)

Silvester
very impressive. Keeps on adding to his records.

Mungo
worthless stat, only titles matter for top players

ApproachShot
01-25-2011, 02:57 AM
If I may be at liberty to do so, I would like to refer you to the thread in my signature. He equals Edberg and surpasses Lendl in total semi final appearances as well in the Open Era.

If he wins the semi then he will surpass Edberg with the most finals in the Open Era, with 6. But prior to the open Era, 3 players (Emerson, Bromwich and Crawford) reached 7 Australian Open finals.

01-25-2011, 02:57 AM

Nope, titles can be won with fluke draws, playing crapper than before, rellying on players being tired from prior rounds 5 setters etc.

But like winning the TMC/ATP Finals, you really cant fluke your way through this level of consistancy. It really does mean your THAT good.

:wavey:

tests
01-25-2011, 02:59 AM
i dont like the word consistency for these stats. Its easy being consistent making it to the 2nd round, but not the SF. i believe it should be called consistantly DOMINANT.

@Sweet Cleopatra
01-25-2011, 02:59 AM
Impressive. It is hard to feel the impact of Federer in the sport now. I am sure after decades people will still be talking about him.

theseth1119
01-25-2011, 03:03 AM
Wrong, that's 12 by Connors, from 1974-1985, 5 titles, 2 finals, and 5 semi finals (W, F, W, F, W, SF, SF, SF, W, W, SF, SF). That truly is amazing, that Connors really excelled at the USO. Connors played in 20 straight USOs, from 1970-1989, missed it in 1990 and played it again in 1991 and 1992.

Ibracadabra
01-25-2011, 03:28 AM
No surprise, roger is the goat afterall

swisht4u
01-25-2011, 03:40 AM
Wrong, that's 12 by Connors, from 1974-1985, 5 titles, 2 finals, and 5 semi finals (W, F, W, F, W, SF, SF, SF, W, W, SF, SF). That truly is amazing, that Connors really excelled at the USO. Connors played in 20 straight USOs, from 1970-1989, missed it in 1990 and played it again in 1991 and 1992.

Conners was an amazing player.

Congrats to Fed for being a unstoppable beast.

Next chance to shock the world is 3X5, just around the corner. :worship:

TheRafaelNadal
01-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Nadal will eclipse all these records making federer look 2nd best when both these players retire.

fsoica
01-25-2011, 11:43 AM
Nadal will eclipse all these records making federer look 2nd best when both these players retire.

he is at 0 right now.

8 more to go....

Blackbriar
01-25-2011, 11:50 AM
There is no way any player can beat all of Federer records. Federer is far better than Connors and Lendl. Everybody see now how feeble they are next to Federer and Nadal.
The only record that will stay forever is the 109 single titles of Jim Connors, but most of them were mainly shitty events with challenger players. Lendl is a jerk next to Federer.

sexybeast
01-25-2011, 12:28 PM
There is no way any player can beat all of Federer records. Federer is far better than Connors and Lendl. Everybody see now how feeble they are next to Federer and Nadal.
The only record that will stay forever is the 109 single titles of Jim Connors, but most of them were mainly shitty events with challenger players. Lendl is a jerk next to Federer.

23 SF streak and 10 finals streak will both outlive the 109 singles titles record. Someone greater than Federer might show up sometime in the future (Federer+Gasquet's backhand and Sampras' serve), he still will have the odds against him to get to 23 straight grand slam SFs, to play 23 straight grand slam 1st rounds is a challenge in itself that most top players will never accomplish (take Sampras, Roddick, Hewitt, Agassi, Nadal).

dombrfc
01-25-2011, 12:29 PM
What else do you expect from the GOAT.

dombrfc
01-25-2011, 12:30 PM
he is at 0 right now.

8 more to go....

Hahahaaa, good one.

23 straight semis looking a long way away too.

jenanun
01-25-2011, 01:33 PM
although it is impressive, honestly who cares?

People only how many you won, not how many SF you were in....

To me it is just another amazing yet meaningless record...

Commander Data
01-25-2011, 01:36 PM

pretty much.

Roger the Dodger
01-25-2011, 04:22 PM

Stuff!

Allez
01-25-2011, 04:34 PM

True but some people have used these meaningless stats to rank Ledl above the likes of Roger and Rafa on the list of all time greats. Hopefully by compiling these records he can shut the haters up once and for all. Same goes for Nadal. These two players are just not respected on MTF. As soon as they break records people whine that they're playing in a "weak era" etc. Astonishing.

delpiero7
01-25-2011, 05:48 PM

TBF, I think the crazy SF streak that Fed went on until Soderling ended ip was a pretty amazing stat. Whilst this 8th consecutive Aussie Open SF is very impressive, it only ties Lendl, and is still 4 behind equalling Connors' US Open streak.

Also, Federer has won more slams than anyone else aswell, so its not as though the SF stats are clouding his failure to go on and actually win the majors.

It's now that fans have started to count consecutive QFs since his SF streak ended which annoys me. Consecutive QFs wasn't even mentioned while the SF streak was still going, but now that has ended there needs to be another record that he's after. I've even heard someone mention that Fed is close to breaking the record for most consecutive R1 appearances in slams, which gave me a chuckle.

Allez
01-25-2011, 05:57 PM
I've even heard someone mention that Fed is close to breaking the record for most consecutive R1 appearances in slams, which gave me a chuckle.

:lol: Not sure they would have put it quite like that. Most consecutive GS appearances maybe...that stat only serves to highlight how he has remained relatively injury free for so long which is astonishing given the physical nature of the sport nowadays. One could attribute that to either luck or more likely his style of play.

delpiero7
01-25-2011, 06:06 PM
:lol: Not sure they would have put it quite like that. Most consecutive GS appearances maybe...that stat only serves to highlight how he has remained relatively injury free for so long which is astonishing given the physical nature of the sport nowadays. One could attribute that to either luck or more likely his style of play.

You're right, it was something like that. Yes it is a record, and a nice record to have. But does it really need to be highlighted when he owns pretty much every major record in the book?

I think this record would be more appreciated if it belonged to a 'journeyman' pro, hovering in the 50-100 range for a number of years who played in a shitload of consecutive slams. After all, they wouldn't get recognition for anything else. Infact, I think Fed should skip Roland Garros this year. Selfish bastard is stealing all the records for himself - even the ones he doesn't have any need for. :devil:

Apophis
01-25-2011, 06:55 PM
To me the most impressive Open Era records are the 18 finals out of 19 slams and Connors' 98 USO wins. Nadal's clay record since 2005 can reach a similar status. But the most difficult to break and the long streaks.

I can understand that some of you do not care about these 'minor' records and prefer to focus on the wins. But some of us don't see a reason to stop there. Also, some of us care about minor tournaments, some of us are fan of minor players. Those things give us a good time here.

Allez
01-25-2011, 07:01 PM
You're right, it was something like that. Yes it is a record, and a nice record to have. But does it really need to be highlighted when he owns pretty much every major record in the book?

I think this record would be more appreciated if it belonged to a 'journeyman' pro, hovering in the 50-100 range for a number of years who played in a shitload of consecutive slams. After all, they wouldn't get recognition for anything else. Infact, I think Fed should skip Roland Garros this year. Selfish bastard is stealing all the records for himself - even the ones he doesn't have any need for. :devil:

Like I said it only serves to highlight the economical nature of his game which is something that is sometimes overlooked :yeah: For anyone else it would be completely meanigless :lol:

Pirata.
01-25-2011, 07:28 PM
he is at 0 right now.

8 more to go....

:lol:

Corey Feldman
01-25-2011, 07:37 PM

he is at 0 right now.

8 more to go....:worship:

Echoes
01-26-2011, 10:32 AM

And methinks thou canst not even list 5 "shitty" event from Connors' catalog, mate. I've asked that question a dozen times and nobody has ever responded. Which one ??? Thou art repeating unknowingly what everybody says ... unknowingly.

North Conway, shitty? Indianapolis, shitty? Philadelphia, shitty? Connors' record is at 149 !!!

Lendl is a jerk who got 147 titles overall. Federer next to Lendl and Connors is just a diva with a forehand !

Knightmace
01-26-2011, 10:38 AM
wow who holds the 11 us open record?