Dolgopolov, the new Ríos? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Dolgopolov, the new Ríos?

abraxas21
01-24-2011, 05:18 PM
I've only seen one match on his but it seems some people are already comparing the two guys. His game seemed unotodhox at the time but I don't rememeber thinking about its resemblance to Ríos game. I'll try to see Murray-Dolgo match to make my own judgment.

In any case, his game seems to be inspired by Ríos:

Favorite Players To Watch: “Well, it used to be Marcelo Rios. He was really fun to watch. He was really improvising on the court. Now, I don’t know, tennis has gotten more monotone and everything. Running and physical. Because everyone is hitting so fast, you can’t really play that style. I mean, Roger’s got some of that still in him. He still does that playing style – volleys and drop shots, slices. I like to watch his game the most probably. (Did you meet Rios?) I met him when I was small. Not really in person, that I remember. The second time my father was with Medvedev was in 1998, that time when Rios won in a row Indian Wells and Miami. I was at the tournaments and I was always killing my parents to go to the matches. He was always playing night matches and I was, Let’s go watch him. Let’s go watch him [smiles]. I really like to watch his matches. I was crazy about him that time. The style of his game was incredible. He could pull out any of the shots in any moment. It was really fun. You don’t know what the guy can do. He wasn’t playing the same game all the time. He was really variative, tough to play, I think.”

Also an interesting passing comment about how tennis has gotten more monotone in this era.

Jenrios
01-24-2011, 06:42 PM
hmm - I saw Dolgopolov at RG last year - and he didn't strike me then as Rioslike. Besides, there will only ever be one Rios :)

«Ivan»
01-24-2011, 06:47 PM
abraxas 'n his threads....how could be new rios?

Lopez
01-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Even though Rios might be a bit overrated by some, calling Dolgo the next Rios is... well... over the top, to put it mildly.

Even if he were more successful, Rios' groundstrokes very technically very solid while Dolgo's are not :p

Allez
01-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Dolgo's bringing sexyback. Rios is a legend amongst legends :worship:

GlennMirnyi
01-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Nah no way mate.

Roger the Dodger
01-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Rios was one of the great 'individuals' of tennis. His never winning a slam and yet being number 1 in the world is a bit like an all-time-great cult movie not winning an Oscar.
He was what he was and everyone dealt with that. Besides he did the 360. Respect. Tennis needs such people.

Dolgopolov has much to live up to.

Montego
01-24-2011, 07:00 PM
In terms of style - they are somehow similar. In terms of talent - I doubt that Dolgopolov will achieve half of the things Rios did, but maybe I will be wrong....

Allez
01-24-2011, 07:02 PM
Rios was the great 'individuals' of tennis. His never winning a slam and yet being number 1 in the world is a bit like an all-time-great cult movie not winning an Oscar.
He was what he was and everyone dealt with that. Besides he did the 360. Respect. Tennis needs such people.

Dolgopolov has much to live up to.

That's right :yeah:

Start da Game
01-24-2011, 07:03 PM
don't be fooled by that ponytail.......

mgasol
01-24-2011, 07:05 PM
dolgos fh reminds me of sampras. hes got a good running cc fh as well. as far as rios goes he is not that talented. no one is.

Allez
01-24-2011, 07:06 PM
dolgos fh reminds me of sampras. hes got a good running cc fh as well. as far as rios goes he is not that talented. no one is.

Which Sampras are you talking about ?

GlennMirnyi
01-24-2011, 07:20 PM

Blasphemy!!!! :o

abraxas21
01-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Even though Rios might be a bit overrated by some, calling Dolgo the next Rios is... well... over the top, to put it mildly.

Even if he were more successful, Rios' groundstrokes very technically very solid while Dolgo's are not :p

well, to make myself clear, i certainly don't think or expect dolgo to be as talented as rios or even to achieve as much but i'm just wondering if their games can be considered a bit alike.

Everko
01-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Rios will never been matched again in his uniqueness.

Blackbriar
01-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Rios was world n°1. Explain to me how Dolgopolov becomes world n°1 before year-end.

ChinoRios4Ever
01-24-2011, 08:25 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

abraxas21
01-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Rios was world n°1. Explain to me how Dolgopolov becomes world n°1 before year-end.

explain to me why you think i need to explain it? moreso when i've never even claimed such a thing.

moon language
01-24-2011, 09:04 PM
dolgos fh reminds me of samaras.

In what way? They aren't similar at all.