The "Tennis Integrity Unit" strikes! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The "Tennis Integrity Unit" strikes!

philosophicalarf
01-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Ok, not really. They've been letterbombing last year's suspected fixes. Volandri got another letter (http://www.sportal.com.au/tennis-opinion-display/tennis-corruption-rears-again-108923), he's on the list 11 times :-)

Dolgo and Tips got asked about it by journos....

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2011-01-24/201101241295843547183.html
--------------------------------------------------
"Q. You say you try to be honest. Were you surprised when you got a letter from the Tennis Integrity Unit or not?

ALEXANDR DOLGOPOLOV: I wasn't really surprised because I knew some guys, you know, like Russian guys, they got those letters. They were asked some questions. I wasn't really surprised of that. I just had a few questions to answer, so...

Q. Tipsarevic the other day said that these letters come mostly to the Russian players and eastern European countries and he thinks it's not fair. Do you agree with that?

ALEXANDR DOLGOPOLOV: I don't know. I don't ask the other players do they get them or not. It's really like each player's business what he gets. If it's like that, probably those countries are more poor. Maybe more players are involved in some kind of something. I'm not really informed to comment that."
--------------------------------------------------

solowyn
01-24-2011, 04:46 PM
I'll laugh if a letter is all that is handed out after the St Petersberg match :help:

bjurra
01-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Lol @ Tipsy.

GlennMirnyi
01-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Where's the integrity unit against doping?

It's much worse than fixing.

malisha
01-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Olek is clean this year

keep it that way boy

Lopez
01-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Where's the integrity unit against doping?

It's much worse than fixing.

While both are appalling, I tend to view fixing worse (from the viewpoint of sports as a business and thus the survival of pro sports).

GlennMirnyi
01-24-2011, 05:18 PM
While both are appalling, I tend to view fixing worse (from the viewpoint of sports as a business and thus the survival of pro sports).

I understand your point of view but doping is just like fixing, although you can't even know if it's happening or not. Experienced people can identify a fix pretty easily.

Sofonda Cox
01-24-2011, 05:18 PM
They've been letterbombing last year's suspected fixes.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8b-XENr7QNE/S3LLuX0wL3I/AAAAAAAAA9s/7v8rkg1gB5k/s400/129102876520146667.jpg

rhinooooo
01-24-2011, 05:22 PM
I have it on good authority that the letters end with a lipstick kiss and
'Love,

The ATP'.

The envelopes are also filled with glitter. It is delightful.

philosophicalarf
01-24-2011, 05:23 PM
I'll laugh if a letter is all that is handed out after the St Petersberg match :help:

Prepare to laugh then.

Their whole purpose now is to publically shame the most obvious fixers, since there's no chance to actually catch them - unless the police get involved, the money is too easy to hide through multiple jurisdictions.

Lopez
01-24-2011, 05:47 PM
I understand your point of view but doping is just like fixing, although you can't even know if it's happening or not. Experienced people can identify a fix pretty easily.

Yeah I mean I can understand the both sides of the argument. If I know that a player is fixing or that he is doping, I surely think doping is worse. However, when I think which is worse for the sport in the big picture, then I'd say it's fixing, since pro sports will totally lose it's appeal if people don't trust that results are not predetermined (everyone can't be as dumb as the average wrestling fan :lol:)

bjurra
01-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Doping is cheating but it doesnt take away the entertainment factor. Fixing makes me want to turn off the TV.

GlennMirnyi
01-24-2011, 06:30 PM
Yeah I mean I can understand the both sides of the argument. If I know that a player is fixing or that he is doping, I surely think doping is worse. However, when I think which is worse for the sport in the big picture, then I'd say it's fixing, since pro sports will totally lose it's appeal if people don't trust that results are not predetermined (everyone can't be as dumb as the average wrestling fan :lol:)

I get you but do you really think casual fans are able to perceive what is a fix and what isn't? I doubt it.

Henry Chinaski
01-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Fixing and doping both cheat tennis fans.

Fixers cheat us in very few matches they play, dopers in every match.

Certinfy
01-24-2011, 06:57 PM
:lol:

Henry Chinaski
01-24-2011, 06:58 PM
any links to Tipsarevic's comments?

Nathaliia
01-24-2011, 07:10 PM
"Sixteen-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer, who is president of the Players' Council, expressed his disappointment in the latest match-fixing allegations to rock the sport when told of it after his third-round win over Xavier Malisse at the Australian Open."

i wonder if he also received the letter for his match against pony at wtf the other day :tape:

philosophicalarf
01-24-2011, 08:19 PM
any links to Tipsarevic's comments?

Dunno if there's a translation, but.....

http://www.ubitennis.com/sport/tennis/2011/01/22/446975-tipsarevic.shtml

Summary:
wasn't me guv

he knows others from Eastern Europe have also received letters

wahh, they only targetted Eastern Europeans and Russians - which is bollocks, LLodra/Volandri/Zeba supposedly got one too).

Players from "strong federations" didn't get targetted - again whiny bollocks, they didn't get letters because there's near zero fixing among American/Spanish players, and ditto for the French with one obvious exception.

Henry Chinaski
01-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the link.

Interesting stuff. Seems the TIU is requesting bank account details and phone records. They obviously have no power to compel reluctant players though

philosophicalarf
01-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the link.

Interesting stuff. Seems the TIU is requesting bank account details and phone records. They obviously have no power to compel reluctant players though

Pretty useless though, they wouldn't be stupid enough to use their main phone or main bank accounts. Pas as you go mobile, and some account in Switzerland or the Caymans, no way to prove either exists.

FormerRafaFan
01-24-2011, 11:48 PM
About damn time they did something about this! It has been an annoyance for a while, and it's bad for the sport that it's so full of corruption :(

Henry Chinaski
01-25-2011, 12:40 AM
Pretty useless though, they wouldn't be stupid enough to use their main phone or main bank accounts. Pas as you go mobile, and some account in Switzerland or the Caymans, no way to prove either exists.

yup.

A player would have to be pretty fucking stupid to get caught.

Tipsarevic probably has a point when he says that the TIU has to be seen to do something to justify the amount of money they cost