AO R4: R.Nadal [1] def. M.Cilic [15] 6-2 6-4 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

AO R4: R.Nadal [1] def. M.Cilic [15] 6-2 6-4 6-3

Gladiator
01-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Vamos Rafa, though not a perfect performance

Cilic managed to take 9 games, 1 game fewer than Tomic

many errors in this match from Cilic

now, QFs is complete

next Ferrer vs Nadal, an interesting match to watch

http://i56.tinypic.com/2a0m3br.jpg

solowyn
01-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Truly awful match.

Montego
01-24-2011, 11:18 AM
What a tool this Cilic with his trillion UEs.

Lopez
01-24-2011, 11:19 AM
The first set of the match was awful from both, a lot of deuce games. Nadal hung tough and improved as the match went on.

Not impressed by his form though.

amaze
Too sick. Just too sick, this Nadal.:eek:

Pirata.
Terrible match, and allowing Rafa to challenge that serve was just :o

Chartreuse
01-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Surprised by the score considering Cilic(like Del Potro) is such a bad matchup for Nadal...

ZaZoo)
Old Cilic mug could learn how to play tennis from kid Tomic.

tests
NID.

This is like the michael jordan flu game, except, nadal did not have to do anything to win the match! Marin Chokic did that for him!

Pirao666
Surprised by the score considering Cilic(like Del Potro) is such a bad matchup for Nadal...

Lol, based on what? A match in 2009 when Nadal was in a slump?

Pirata.
Nadal saying he played his best match of the tournament today :spit:

Surcouf
Nadal played much much better than against Tomic.

Cilic played well, had the good gameplan and was hitting the ball extremely well at times but Nadal's defense was just too good. There are still too many attacking erros from Nadal but he played well.

He controlled the match and did not lose his serve. Big satisfaction.

Start da Game
01-24-2011, 11:21 AM
routine stuff.......blasting a player like cilic 2, 4, 3 on his worst surface.......incredible........

Chartreuse
01-24-2011, 11:22 AM

His playing style.

Zagor
It was an amazing effort from great underdog Nadal,his fighting spirit is carrying him through even though he's apparently very sick and is losing 5 kilos every round.

Yazoo.C
Well done Rafa! :D

Smasher
24 winners to 44 ues from Cilic when the serving stats are left out. Tells you enough about his performance

Ben.
Rafa needs to improve desperately if he wants to win, he doesn't really need a long match against Ferrer. He said he is feeling fine physically now at least. Cilic was awful, but he has been for a year so hardly a shock.

Pirata.
01-24-2011, 11:23 AM
AustralianOpen (http://twitter.com/AustralianOpen/status/29499037296107520)

Nadal says he's now recovered frm virus - the two previous days he was sweating "like crazy" & today was 1st day he felt perfect physically

:rolleyes:

tests
Nadla played much much better than against Tomic.

Cilic played well, had the good gameplan and was hitting the ball extremely well at times but Nadal's defense was just too good. There are still too many attacking erros from Nadal but he played well.

He controlled the match and did not lose his serve. Big satisfaction.

you know, it wasent just nadal sucking as to why tomic gave him fits. Tomic uses angles and changes the speed of the ball so much, that nadal cant get into a rhythm. Tomic stood a better chance against nadal than cilic. CIlic is just a glorified ball basher.

Raferminator
You GO, Rafa!!!!!!!!! Take it to the next level, baby.....
:worship:

Lalalovesong
01-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Nadal played very well! I was a bit dissapointed in Cilic, he started very bad and looked a bit nervous at the start. Cilic seemed a bit tired and couldn't play his toptennis unfortunately.

Congrats Rafa now against Ferrer!

Iván
rafa makes me feel safe

SheepleBuster
The umpires are cowards for not warning Nadal for taking so much time between points. It is just unbelievable to me. Having said that, Cilic just showed he has gone backwards with his game . But we all could see that from his Isner match which he barely survived

Vida
Cilic is going nowhere, unfortunately.

Iok, beating Nadal is a tall order, but I expected more from him in general.

Start da Game
01-24-2011, 11:25 AM

nadal's knee injuries gave some meaning to the direction-less careers of soderling, davydenko, del potro........

people talked about soderling, berdych as the giant rafa beaters but what happened? the same is going to happen to del potro once he returns........

there is no such thing as bad match up........bad match ups are our illusions.......

paseo
01-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Damn. I really thought that Cilic would make the upset. Oh, well... Next.

Smasher
01-24-2011, 11:28 AM
nadal's knee injuries gave some meaning to the direction-less careers of soderling, davydenko, del potro........

people talked about soderling, berdych as the giant rafa beaters but what happened? the same is going to happen to del potro once he returns........

there is no such thing as bad match up........bad match ups are our illusions.......
Signature stuff there. You just don't have a clue, do you?

NadalesDios
The 10th Grand Slam is on his way.Nadal will win AO with 0 sets lost.

born_on_clay
routine stuff.......blasting a player like cilic 2, 4, 3 on his worst surface.......incredible........

:hatoff:

onto the quaters :yeah:

tennismaster882001
Dissapointing match from Cilic, he is really playing bad tennis.
Needs to wake up soon!

Nadal wasn't that great himself.

Surcouf

I agree.

A lot of people can beat Nadal when he is in a poor form and when he loses a lot. But when he hit the ball well and feel confident, he does not have bad match up.

Chartreuse

Cilic is a bad matchup for Nadal like Simon is a bad matchup for Federer.

Surcouf
01-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Cilic is a bad matchup for Nadal like Simon is a bad matchup for Federer.

I did not notice it today.

Cilic can beat Nadal , but only when Nadal is off his game like in 2009.

Commander Data
01-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Cilic is the ultimate mug.

Lalalovesong
01-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Damn. I really thought that Cilic would make the upset. Oh, well... Next.

Me too, but he didn't even come close to challenging Nadal!

Apemant
01-24-2011, 11:32 AM

If Cilic had a serve he should have, because of his height, he'd destroy Nadal on hardcourts. Luckily for Nadal, Cilic's serve is crap, and he also lacks some brains. :devil:

Zagor
01-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Rafa needs to improve desperately if he wants to win, he doesn't really need a long match against Ferrer. He said he is feeling fine physically now at least. Cilic was awful, but he has been for a year so hardly a shock.

He just reached the QF without losing a set.

MIMIC
01-24-2011, 11:33 AM
You could already tell that it was going to be a long ass match but the outcome was never in doubt. Cilic too inconsistent to make any sizable dents in Nadal's service games.

It was kinda funny....he would always win the point in the AD court, but never in the deuce court.

tribalfusion
01-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Congrats to Nadal....more solid than in previous matches. Some here continue to marvel that most players make more errors against Nadal, Murray, Djokovic and Federer but the reason clearly has a lot to do with the pressure.

...Cilic just showed he has gone backwards with his game . But we all could see that from his Isner match

Aren't you the guy who wrote "In fact, I don't think he beats Cilic..." ?
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=10713491&postcount=24

I guess "we" couldn't all see that, huh?

madmax
01-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Cilic self-destructed on important points just like expected.
Nadull continues his path towards meeting Mugray unchallenged

shaggy
01-24-2011, 11:35 AM
mug era at his best. nobody can even make a interesting match against Nadal. very bad for men's tennis. Nadal is not even challenged.

Start da Game
01-24-2011, 11:37 AM

bad match ups do not exist in reality........it is only a theoretical concept........it is up to a player to device strategies and overcome different types of opposition........

it can also be argued that federina is the baddest match up nadal has because he is the best server, best returner and also the best volleyer out there.......still nadal does not allow federina to take advantage of his strengths........that does not mean nadal is a bad match up and neither is federina a bad match up........

when federina was spanking del potro and lead 6-0, people talked how federina was a bad match up to del potro.......suddenly del potro figures out federina's game and starts beating him, everybody shut their bad match up argument.......

bad match ups are just our illusions out of fear of or admiration towards certain players.......in reality, when two players face off it all comes down to how best one uses his skill and also how best you restrict the other one.......

del potro is no bad match up to nadal.......it is cowardly to let our illusions affect our thinking.......similarly nadal is no bad match up to federina........and finally federina is no bad matchup to nadal........

ZaZoo)
01-24-2011, 11:38 AM
It was an amazing effort from great underdog Nadal,his fighting spirit is carrying him through even though he's apparently very sick and is losing 5 kilos every round.

What a sweaty spartan he is, Mugin almost broke his spirit but not to be. :haha:

Auscon
01-24-2011, 11:38 AM

Yeah...get someone like Tim Henman into a room, play him a tape of 9/10 career matches v Hewitt and try to tell him there's no such thing as a bad matchup :)

bad matchups & form aren't mutually exclusive....for Rafa, if someone can crush the ball hard and flat, is tall to keep those high bouncers in their hitting zone for longer, and can can combine that with some form that allows them to limit their UE's, that's a bad matchup for him, even if he's playing well.

SheepleBuster
01-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Congrats to Nadal....more solid than in previous matches. Some here continue to marvel that most players make more errors against Nadal, Murray, Djokovic and Federer but the reason clearly has a lot to do with the pressure.

Aren't you the guy who wrote "In fact, I don't think he beats Cilic..." ?
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=10713491&postcount=24

I guess "we" couldn't all see that, huh?

What about it? I thought he should. He didn't, so my suspicions about his game were confirmed. It does not take from the fact that Nadal is a cheat. Everybody knows he gets coached. Everybody knows he abuses the serving rule. But you go ahead. Continue with your trolling and worship of Nadal.

MarioMega
01-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Yeah...get someone like Tim Henman into a room, play him a tape of 9/10 career matches v Hewitt and try to tell him there's no such thing as a bad matchup :)

bad matchups & form aren't mutually exclusive....for Rafa, if someone can crush the ball hard and flat, is tall to keep those high bouncers in their hitting zone for longer, and can can combine that with some form that allows them to limit their UE's, that's a bad matchup for him, even if he's playing well.

That's a bad matchup for everybody genious.

finishingmove
01-24-2011, 11:40 AM
mugrin sillyc :sad:

Pirao666
01-24-2011, 11:41 AM
If Cilic had a serve he should have, because of his height, he'd destroy Nadal on hardcourts. Luckily for Nadal, Cilic's serve is crap, and he also lacks some brains. :devil:

Yeah, yeah, everybody should destroy Nadal, in fantasyland, too bad reality is different. To the quarter finals and he still hasn't lost a set, looking good. But Ferrer will be a stiffer test, Ferrer will not stop fighting all match.

Arhaych
Oh, the player I despise is making his way through the draw comfortably, ergo I must bemoan the lack of quality in todays era, despite an unseeded player making the QFs.

MarioMega
What about it? I thought he should. He didn't, so my suspicions about his game were confirmed. It does not take from the fact that Nadal is a cheat. Everybody knows he gets coached. Everybody knows he abuses the serving rule. But you go ahead. Continue with your trolling and worship of Nadal.

What a clown.

Get a life and stop hate people that you even know.

samanosuke
01-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Cilic maturing more and more . Now you don't need to wait end of the set or match to see his choke , now he is capable to choke game after game and again . Nadal's balls in the first set were like at shootout training session and he still succeeded to lose it 6-2 . Actually I think that Cilic now doing all to lose the match before it started . He had to choice and decided to serve first and with his mickey mouse serve , he destroyed himself before the start . Nadal doesn't looking good. His balls are too short and he is there to take it but his luck is that before SF he will not have opponent who will take advantage from that .

And the other side of the story was Nadal's constant breaking of rules and clownish judging from Ulrich . Nadal was taking over 20 seconds between first and second serve . Between two points he was taking probably more than 30 seconds, specially in the first set . It was somehow embarrassment what Ulrich allow to him . And that challenging of the serve after he missed return was disgusting . I mean it's Ulrich fault because he allowed that but I think that the player would also need to have some dignity and don't even ask for a challenge when he missed the next shot

Topspindoctor
01-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Expected. Nadal owns brainless ball bashers like Mugin Cilic. As I predicted, 3 routine sets.

MarioMega
01-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Oh, the player I despise is making his way through the draw comfortably, ergo I must bemoan the lack of quality in todays era, despite an unseeded player making the QFs.

The clowns who believe in such crap, weak era, only use this argument when Nadal is the matter.

Whn Federina wins his slams, he's a warrior.
When he beat clowns in GS finals, he's the magician.

Nadal won most of his slams beating Federina.

Look at the clowns Federina had to beat in several GS finals.

2 pesos, 2 medidas.

tribalfusion
01-24-2011, 11:47 AM
What about it? I thought he should. He didn't, so my suspicions about his game were confirmed

"What about it" is that even when you are flat out wrong in the most obvious way, instead of admitting it and owning up to your (hate filled) comments, you try to play it off in your usual pseudo know-it-all manner.

I congratulate you on 'discovering' suspicions after stating about Nadal "I don't think he beats Cilic"

Happy trolling :)

Surcouf
01-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Cilic maturing more and more . Now you don't need to wait end of the set or match to see his choke , now he is capable to choke game after game and again . Nadal's balls in the first set were like at shootout training session and he still succeeded to lose it 6-2 . Actually I think that Cilic now doing all to lose the match before it started . He had to choice and decided to serve first and with his mickey mouse serve , he destroyed himself before the start . Nadal doesn't looking good. His balls are too short and he is there to take it but his luck is that before SF he will not have opponent who will take advantage from that .

And the other side of the story was Nadal's constant breaking of rules and clownish judging from Ulrich . Nadal was taking over 20 seconds between first and second serve . Between two points he was taking probably more than 30 seconds, specially in the first set . It was somehow embarrassment what Ulrich allow to him . And that challenging of the serve after he missed return was disgusting . I mean it's Ulrich fault because he allowed that but I think that the player would also need to have some dignity and don't even ask for a challenge when he missed the next shot

You are a clown.

people who bitch about taking more 20 seconds should be banned. it's such a lame complaint. You are 5 years old or something?

Rafa#Uno:-)
01-24-2011, 11:49 AM
MURRAY will be in the final

Voo de Mar
01-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Painful to watch, from the first game to the fucking end :o :help: Poor finish of completely useless last 16.

MarioMega
01-24-2011, 11:50 AM
You are a clown.

people who bitch about taking more 20 seconds should be banned. it's such a lame complaint. You are 5 years old or something?

He's a 6 years old boy trapped inside a 30 man.

MarioMega
01-24-2011, 11:50 AM

I like your anti jinx, keep up the good work mate.

samanosuke
01-24-2011, 11:56 AM
You are a clown.

Than the clowns are those guys who invented tennis rules

He's a 6 years old boy trapped inside a 30 man.

What is your main account ?

Topspindoctor
01-24-2011, 11:59 AM
lol @ the clowns hoping for an upset. Nadal's defense and forehand is too much for the fluke SF mug like Cilic. Watch this clown drop out of top 20 like he deserves. Nadal saved tennis today.

Corey Feldman
01-24-2011, 12:02 PM
diabolical performance from Cilic, could hardly put a ball over the net all night

year ago thought this guy was gonna be the real deal, could not have been more wrong.

utter shite tournament, Ferrer will be the next one to crumble without any decent performance

MarioMega
01-24-2011, 12:08 PM
diabolical performance from Cilic, could hardly put a ball over the net all night

year ago thought this guy was gonna be the real deal, could not have been more wrong.

utter shite tournament, Ferrer will be the next one to crumble without any decent performance

Oh man, your pain is so funny.

You really suffer when Nadal goes on...

Nice avatar btw...

Senna, the goat.

Apemant
01-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Double fault on match point, after saving two MPs previously, pretty much sums this match.

samanosuke
01-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Oh man, your pain is so funny.

You really suffer when Nadal goes on...

The pain when Nadal goes on isn't neither close to pain which I feel when see your post . And that I told your after just 2 posts

Start da Game
01-24-2011, 12:12 PM
This is one of my favorite wins of all-time, and the 3rd most important win of this AO :D , the other being SF and F wins, because the QF is going to be all one way traffic :yeah:

The US Open serve has returned, and the court coverage is flawlessly supporting it. Nothing stopping Rafa now :p

NSK, when nadal is landing those rocket off forehands right, it's a sign that he is nearing his top form.......

Topspindoctor
01-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Good to see Nadal finally finding his serve and groundstrokes. Love the haters crying and moaning about Mugin's performance. I guess the upset didn't happen? :awww:

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 12:15 PM
NSK, when nadal is landing those rocket off forehands right, it's a sign that he is nearing his top form.......

Agreed, he's not far from his best, and as usual he's peaking toward the end of a slam. The place to start was getting the serve right again and he's got that, and whatever virus he's got hasn't hampered his court coverage. The rest will follow as he finishes off the field, looking like peaking right in the Final for a virtuoso performance like 2008 RG Final :yeah:

MarioMega
01-24-2011, 12:17 PM
The pain when Nadal goes on isn't neither close to pain which I feel when see your post . And that I told your after just 2 posts

Really???

Now I won't sleep at night, concerned that you dislike my posts.

Get a life clown.

Corey Feldman
01-24-2011, 12:18 PM
the amount of times Nadal is sprinting wide and out of the point but is able to 'stretch moonball' back to the baseline is absurd

this is where the real slowing down of courts and balls have favoured him more than anyone

fn stinking ATP.

MarioMega
01-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Agreed, he's not far from his best, and as usual he's peaking toward the end of a slam. The place to start was getting the serve right again and he's got that, and whatever virus he's got hasn't hampered his court coverage. The rest will follow as he finishes off the field, looking like peaking right in the Final for a virtuoso performance like 2008 RG Final :yeah:

Yes, when he demoralized Federina.

:lol:

LinkMage
01-24-2011, 12:20 PM
What a Spartan this Rafito. Battling from a death threatening flu and the loss of 10 kilos of weight. What a monumental effort by the GOAT. Fedmug would have lost in the 1st round with this illness. :worship:

Chartreuse
01-24-2011, 12:20 PM

Where he will lose to Fed or Nole.

01-24-2011, 12:37 PM
I like your anti jinx, keep up the good work mate.

haha
what do you mean mate?
Murray impresses the most 63 61 61 against meltzer

:wavey:

01-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Where he will lose to Fed or Nole.

ni murray is unbeatable at the moment:worship:

gjr
01-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Without a 1st serve Cilic had nothing, deserved nothing and got nothing.

Easy win for Rafa but anyone could of beaten him tonight.

Topspindoctor
01-24-2011, 12:41 PM
ni murray is unbeatable at the moment:worship:

:worship:

Mugray will win all 4 slams this year :bowdown:

Kiedis
01-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Good to see Nadal finally finding his serve and groundstrokes. Love the haters crying and moaning about Mugin's performance. I guess the upset didn't happen? :awww:

6PQ6335puOc

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Murray hasn't proven anything yet, hasn't played any threat. So very hard to judge whether Rafa will maul Murray in 3 or whether they'll be in for a battle. Jim Courier made the interesting point during Rafa-Cilic match that Rafa may have not adapted to the new strings he was using early in 2010 and that along with his low confidence contributed to the poor performance vs Murray.

The Magician
01-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Disgusting match. Mugrin will have a year to think about his performance since he probably won't win another match until next years AO. Nadull being gifted slam semis again and again :o

Pirao666
01-24-2011, 12:49 PM
6PQ6335puOc

I guess in this case, the women are the haters, right? :lol:

TheRafaelNadal
01-24-2011, 12:53 PM
haha
what do you mean mate?
Murray impresses the most 63 61 61 against meltzer

:wavey:

murray is always good until he play nadal or federer. only way murray beat nadal is if nadal becomes ill.

Art&Soul
01-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Nadull is so lucky again with his mug draw :o

Topspindoctor
01-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Disgusting match. Mugrin will have a year to think about his performance since he probably won't win another match until next years AO. Nadull being gifted slam semis again and again :o

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mmBw3uzPnJI/S_5IHGcf5II/AAAAAAABSjk/9PsNThMctCM/s1600/Haters_Gonna_Hate_03.jpg

robiht
01-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Easy match as expected,what u can hope from a tired Cilic against the World Number 1 esepecially when he is not sweeting ,like in earlier rounds and feeling healthy...

Now comes Ferrer,little harder,but i dont think Ferrer can win more than 1 set against Nadal.

Then SF and anything can happen there probably against Murray.

samanosuke
01-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Don't understand why all these Nadal's in this thread are delighted with Rafa's performance . All the match was in Cilic's hands and he played worse than bad , Cilic neither hadn't to play his very best in this match, just little better and I am sure that Nadal would be in serious problem . His balls were short , BH was completely off , only serve was good after first set and even that I think is more because Cilic was exhausted and lost that few mili seconds which are crucial in returning . Don't know maybe this was Rafa tactics because against Cilic moonballing is great tactic but sometimes could be dangerous . Win is a win but I am not sure if he would be able hold a confident in-form guy with game like today

malisha
01-24-2011, 01:26 PM
lol Marin

i thought he have a decent chance here:rolleyes:

Topspindoctor
01-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Don't understand why all these Nadal's in this thread are delighted with Rafa's performance . All the match was in Cilic's hands and he played worse than bad , Cilic neither hadn't to play his very best in this match, just little better and I am sure that Nadal would be in serious problem . His balls were short , BH was completely off , only serve was good after first set and even that I think is more because Cilic was exhausted and lost that few mili seconds which are crucial in returning . Don't know maybe this was Rafa tactics because against Cilic moonballing is great tactic but sometimes could be dangerous . Win is a win but I am not sure if he would be able hold a confident in-form guy with game like today

I thought everyone claimed Marin "marathon man" Cilic wasn't tired at all and would blow Nadal off court :eek:

Face it, Nadal's defense forced Mugin to commit all those errors and Nadal got better and better as match went by. He didn't play his absolute best, but he still has time to improve.

samanosuke
01-24-2011, 01:30 PM
lol Marin

i thought he have a decent chance here:rolleyes:

even I did . And the most tragic thing is that he didn't need to play anything special . But this was bad even for his standards . Nadal played just like everybody who is playing against him wants to see him playing

finn98
01-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Nadal's defense is the best thing in this match...It frustrated cilic and he went for more but his slap like FH usually found the net...Also Rafa learnt a lesson from tomic's match and started slicing a lot to cilic's FH... and it worked big time against the big guy :yeah:
Contrary to the moaning haters, Cilic recovered from 1st set and actually hit 65% first serves in 2nd set and still lost 6-4.....Tells a lot about Nadal's focus...Cilic had very few chances and thus once again a "bad mathup" is completely outplayed by the tactical genius of rafael nadal :worship:

Commander Data
01-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Murray will put an end to this tragedy.

samanosuke
01-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Face it, Nadal's defense forced Mugin to commit all those errors and Nadal got better and better as match went by. He didn't play his absolute best, but he still has time to improve.

agree . But Cilic even when he has " those " days usually punishing so many short balls . Cilic usually has more problems with guys which give him different look on the game with much more variety. I was expecting much more aggressive Nadal . When you are playing Nadal you can't expect that you'll win a match because Nadal will make plenty UE's . You want to see him few meters behind baseline , and see him with plenty short middle court balls . Than you have real chances to do something against him and at least match is on your racket . And other side of the story is if you have belief that you can really beat him

nobama
01-24-2011, 01:51 PM
He just reached the QF without losing a set.who has he played who gave him any real test? Tomic who's #199 in the world? :confused:

LaFuria
01-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Let me guess, Nadal isn't sick anymore?

madmax
01-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Let me guess, Nadal isn't sick anymore?

Sickness is no obstacle for Nadull to overcome an in-form ballbasher in straights:worship:
Bamos!!

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 02:37 PM
This was a similar match to the 2010 French Open Final vs Soderling, and I liked it :D

Allez
01-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Nadal says he is not sick anymore so it looks like he is back to being the favourite for the title. Too good for the likes of Cilic. He didn't push Nadal at all. It looked as if Marin was just waiting for the flu virus to do the the damage. It didn't and now Nadal is slowly finding his groove again :yeah:

swebright
01-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Too good.

Manequin75
01-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Nadal says he is not sick anymore so it looks like he is back to being the favourite for the title. Too good for the likes of Cilic. He didn't push Nadal at all. It looked as if Marin was just waiting for the flu virus to do the the damage. It didn't and now Nadal is slowly finding his groove again :yeah:

correction - Nadal said he felt better *today* and was not sweating as much. He didnt say he aint sick anymore. Its day by day evaluation ya know ;) keep the favorite tag away LOL Tomorrow is a whole night away and impossible to know how i feel no? That is the true..... :)

Manequin75
01-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Murray will put an end to this tragedy.

i thought you were warming up to Rafa? What happened?

Manequin75
01-24-2011, 02:52 PM
This was a similar match to the 2010 French Open Final vs Soderling, and I liked it :D

i set my alarm for 3: 30 am but borrowing the phrase from MTF my damn clock choked. And I woke up at 7 am. Didnt see the match but reading reviews and reports didnt think Rafa played at that high level. The FO 2010 against SOD was very high level specially his movement. Will catch the replay later today and see.

Hope his match against Ferrer is day session so i can see it at a civilian hour on the east coast. But doesnt look like they will give him a day match. Match between a seeded player and World # 1 will again be put up as a night match. Hope my mugo-clock doesnt choke again

careergrandslam
01-24-2011, 02:56 PM
nadal won the match but this level of form wont win him the title. no way in hell. murray, federer or djokovic will destroy rafa.

he hit CC forehand the whole match, didnt hit a single down the line forehand, thats a huge indication rafa is out of form, when he is lacking confidence and missing alot, he becomes very conservative and drops the ball short and only uses the CC FH.

his backhand is just guiding the ball, not hitting it with pace like he used to.

cilic just missed alot when it mattered, but against a top player rafa would have lost today, no question about it.

rafa is definitely not in slam winning form.
it would be the miracle of all miracles if nadal won the tournament this year.

he has to be wayyyyyyyy more aggressive if he wants to beat the big names.

i was not impressed at all.

just calling it like i see it.

Manequin75
01-24-2011, 02:58 PM
nadal won the match but this level of form wont win him the title. no way in hell. murray, federer or djokovic will destroy rafa.

he hit CC forehand the whole match, didnt hit a single down the line forehand, thats a huge indication rafa is out of form, when he is lacking confidence and missing alot, he becomes very conservative and drops the ball short and only uses the CC FH.

his backhand is just guiding the ball, not hitting it with pace like he used to.

cilic just missed alot when it mattered, but against a top player rafa would have lost today, no question about it.

rafa is definitely not in slam winning form.
it would be the miracle of all miracles if nadal won the tournament this year.

he has to be wayyyyyyyy more aggressive if he wants to beat the big names.

i was not impressed at all.

just calling it like i see it.

sure you are :) You were sure he was gonna lose to Cilic....LOL
go easy with the anti-jinx. Your anti-jinx could become the jinx. Go watch figure skating for a few days and take your mind off rafa.

A_Skywalker
01-24-2011, 03:02 PM
Nadal will play different against Murray if he makes it to there.

careergrandslam
01-24-2011, 03:04 PM
go easy with the anti-jinx. Your anti-jinx could become the jinx. Go watch figure skating for a few days and take your mind off rafa.

this post was not an anti-jinx, cant u differentiate between the two?

im worried about his form, he is not playing well, u can tell.

Priam
01-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Rafa played decent, solid even. Needs to up it against Ferrer to avoid a 3 hour match.

Curiously, I really have no idea what has happened to the player formerly known as Marin (now Mugin) Cilic.

SheepleBuster
01-24-2011, 03:09 PM
What a clown.

Get a life and stop hate people that you even know.

I don't hate Nadal. I just don't like what he and his elitist friends stand for. That's all.

Manequin75
01-24-2011, 03:10 PM

he is coming off sickness and needs to sharpen his bread and butter before getting too fancy ya know. Its called taking it one step at a time. The DTL and more powerful BHs will be unleashed when the opponent and match calls for it. Stay cool. Grab some coffee and if we are fortunate we will see history unfolding here. if not..oh well atleast you got your coffee LOL

luie
01-24-2011, 03:16 PM

Yes its true his form is not @ the level of USO 10 or AO 08 but he can still win.
His only legitimate threat is Murray,if he gets by he wins the title simple as that.
Murray has a slight edge because he has confidence against nadull & plenty left in the tank.

GlennMirnyi
01-24-2011, 03:26 PM
The 15th seed of the tournament goes out there and puts out this pathetic display.

Weak is a mild word for this era.

Start da Game
01-24-2011, 03:30 PM
The 15th seed of the tournament goes out there and puts out this pathetic display.

Weak is a mild word for this era.

yes, the field is hollow without peak stepanek........

GlennMirnyi
01-24-2011, 03:31 PM
yes, the field is hollow without peak stepanek........

This thread isn't about Steps, fangirl.

Stay on topic. :wavey:

Start da Game
01-24-2011, 03:35 PM
This thread isn't about Steps, fangirl.

Stay on topic. :wavey:

a stepanek fangirl showing direction.......

Roger the Dodger
01-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Nadal feeling okay, no?

GlennMirnyi
01-24-2011, 03:37 PM
a stepanek fangirl showing direction.......

Not quite. I'm not of your kind.

Now stop fooling your mental warden and log off.

Allez
01-24-2011, 03:40 PM
go easy with the anti-jinx. Your anti-jinx could become the jinx.

:haha: Folks have figured out the true nature of reality. Just keep saying he will not win the tournament and gather as many excuses possible and VOILA he wins the tournament :bounce:

So henceforth everytime someone says "Rafa cannot win this title" that is a code for.."I so badly want Rafa to win this but I have to lower my expectations just in case..." ;)

FormerRafaFan
01-24-2011, 03:44 PM
I couldn't watch this match, unfortunately.. But I heard Nadal played better today, which is good.

I knew he would step up his game against tougher opponents. He always does, and I said he would too. He should keep up this level, hopefully even better than today against Ferrer, and he should win in straights.

FormerRafaFan
01-24-2011, 03:46 PM
To all the haters on here. Rafa still hasn't lost a set during the tournament.. can't really say the same about Federer, now can you? He lost a set to ROBREDO of all people! :lol:

solowyn
01-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Robredo wasn't choking when Fed gifted him break points.

Roger the Dodger
01-24-2011, 03:58 PM
To all the haters on here. Rafa still hasn't lost a set during the tournament.. can't really say the same about Federer, now can you? He lost a set to ROBREDO of all people! :lol:

Agreed. Nadal is a tough competitor. :yeah:

Also, you forgot:

He bagelled Marcos Daniel 6-0, 5-0 till he retired out of sheer fear.
He breadsticked the Sweet Thing 6-1 6-1 which is considered very difficult.
And he took the Laver's boy-toy Tomic out in straights coming back from 0-4 down in the second set. What a fighter! :yeah:

BTW, people here are crazy. :lol:
You've got to forgive them for going so harsh on Nadal.

tangerine_dream
01-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Next victim. http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad169/dormouse7/coffee1.gif

01-24-2011, 04:04 PM
nadal didnt look good at all too passive again
his shirt too big now too

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 04:18 PM
i set my alarm for 3: 30 am but borrowing the phrase from MTF my damn clock choked. And I woke up at 7 am. Didnt see the match but reading reviews and reports didnt think Rafa played at that high level. The FO 2010 against SOD was very high level specially his movement. Will catch the replay later today and see.

Hope his match against Ferrer is day session so i can see it at a civilian hour on the east coast. But doesnt look like they will give him a day match. Match between a seeded player and World # 1 will again be put up as a night match. Hope my mugo-clock doesnt choke again

This is one of my favorite wins of all-time, the most athletic since 2008.

Today he had 28 winners, 21 unforced errors, won 16 of 17 net approaches, 73% first serves in. He only faced 2 breakpoints (and saved them both). And something the stats don't say - he's moving faster than I've seen him run all of 2010, absolute peak quickness.

MELBOURNE, Jan 24 (Reuters) - Rafa Nadal pummelled Croatia’s Marin Cilic into submission with a brutish 6-2 6-4 6-3 victory to reach the Australian Open quarter-finals on Monday.

Nadal’s win under the Melbourne floodlights kept alive the world number one’s bid to become only the third man, and first since 1969, to hold all four grand slam titles at once.

It also wiped away any lingering concerns about the flu bug that took the edge off his game in the first week and caused him to pour with sweat against Bernard Tomic on Saturday.

“Before the match I was scared, seriously,” Nadal told reporters after setting up a clash with fellow Spaniard David Ferrer, the seventh seed.

“Scared in a good way. But I played my best match here by far.

“I didn’t sweat as much today,” added Nadal, who shed two and a half kilos in his previous win over Australian teenager Tomic.

“Before I was sweating like crazy and it was a night session. Tonight I was able to play with high intensity, more inside the court and more aggressive.”

Nadal looked far sharper against Cilic, hustling to chase down balls and rifle them back past the Croat, before striking his trademark gunslinger’s pose with a bellowing cry of “Vamos!”

The first set was over in a blur for 15th seed Cilic, a sitting duck for Nadal as he attempted to slug it out toe-to-toe, only to get passed time and again by the 2009 champion.

Nadal took the second by forcing Cilic into another wild forehand as conditions grew ever chillier on a packed Rod Laver Arena.

He bulldozed over the finish line when his shattered opponent dumped a second serve halfway up the net after two hours and 31 minutes.

“Tonight was pretty cold and I didn’t push him too much,” said a rueful Cilic, who stunned Nadal in their only previous meeting in Beijing in 2009.

“You couldn’t see how much he has in the tank.”

Guy Haines
01-24-2011, 05:00 PM
This thread:help:

I don't know which is worse, the hypocrisy of the whiners, or Marin whenever a point was pivotal.

Pirao666
01-24-2011, 05:32 PM

And to Gilles Simon, who according to the Fedtards was shit when he had to play Nadal during the USO. Of course, when he played Federer, he was proof of Federer's tough draw, gotta love them :angel:

Arkulari
01-24-2011, 05:38 PM
NID, no one is troubling Rafa in this tournament :yeah:

abraxas21
01-24-2011, 05:49 PM

ferrer will bend over but i think/hope murray will give a tough fight.

peribsen
01-24-2011, 06:03 PM
People saying Nadal is a cheater because he takes too long between serves or has sometime exchanged half a sentence with his coach are about as realistic as people saying someone is a criminal because he has sometimes been given parking tickets. If they didn't hate Nadal beforehand, they would hardly take notice, far less fret about it.

But even worse is the character assasination Rafa is submitted to permanently by some here. The difference between how Nadal is perceived by most of his fellow pros and on MTF is so wild it's even funny.

Seems like some peole never lose a chance of showing their lack of class.

But keep it up, by all means, it hugely increases the fun!

Singularity
01-24-2011, 06:12 PM
bad match ups do not exist in reality........it is only a theoretical concept........it is up to a player to device strategies and overcome different types of opposition........
If 'match ups' didn't exist, then every style of play would be equally effective against every other style of play, and players wouldn't need to to alter their tactics from match to match.

What you're arguing is that it's up to each player to figure out how to overcome a particular opponent, which is perfectly true, but doesn't undermine the original point which that how easy it is to do this will depend on how that players' natural play style matches up to his opponents'.

I think it's difficult to argue for example that Nadal finds it harder to deal with aggressive players who are able to take the ball early, and take his time away, than defensive baseliners. The converse is perhaps true for Federer, who can break down when forced to hit shot after shot to finish points - hence his tough matches against Simon.

The end result is that how a player performs against one particular opponent - who may be uniquely suited to exploit his weaknesses - isn't necessarily a good indication of his overall level of ability, on a given surface. For example, Roddick has beaten Robredo comfortably in all of their 11 meetings, even on clay. Yet Robredo is a much better clay courter than Roddick, as his results show.

Lopez
01-24-2011, 06:15 PM

He'll lose to Murray IMO

sexybeast
01-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Nadal seem to be extremly defensive and not winning many free points on his serve unlike in usopen, Cilic is a headcase but I cant see how he can win against Murray and he will have his hands full against Djokovic aswell if they meet in the final. I dont know why many fans seem happy about this performance, it is the same defensive Nadal I have seen on hardcourt 2007-2010 (except USOPEN 2010), this kind of game wont win big titles unless Nadal avoids playing Djokovic and Murray. He should still win against Federer with this tennis, Federer-Nadal on slow hardcourt is 40-60, as both are playing bad tennis I would hold those odds as true for this tournament.

rhinooooo
01-24-2011, 06:24 PM
Cilic was really bad, just did not show up at all. Really boring match, hopeful we see some good quarterfinal clashes now.

Roger the Dodger
01-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Cilic was really bad, just did not show up at all. Really boring match, hopeful we see some good quarterfinal clashes now.

And hopefully, that will end the silly comparisions with Del Potro. Once Potro gets his fitness back and flows into some form;
Potro >>> Cilic.

rhinooooo
01-24-2011, 06:32 PM
And hopefully, that will end the silly comparisions with Del Potro. Once Potro gets his fitness back and flows into some form;
Potro >>> Cilic.

There is no doubt that Potro is better than Cilic, but he had plenty of things going in this matchup to cause trouble and he let himself down with a very poor, timid performance, and seemingly played all important points badly. Just not going to cut it. Nonetheless, has been a good Aussie Open for him on the whole, considering how shit he's been for close to a year.

sexybeast
01-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Potro >>> Cilic.

Like night and day, Del Potro has killer instinct, a pair of huge balls hang down between his legs and he can actually generate great power from both wings.

Roger the Dodger
01-24-2011, 06:41 PM
There is no doubt that Potro is better than Cilic, but he had plenty of things going in this matchup to cause trouble and he let himself down with a very poor, timid performance, and seemingly played all important points badly. Just not going to cut it. Nonetheless, has been a good Aussie Open for him on the whole, considering how shit he's been for close to a year.

Yes. Cilic was nervous, passive; but Cilic was never a tactical genius. And his forehand however flat doesn't throw one of the court like say Delpo. How often did he serve and volley? Outside of dropshots, his success rate at the net was greater than at the baseline. Yet, I don't remember watching him S & V'ing enough, though he won most of his points when he did. To his credit, Nadal was near to his retrieving best tonight and Cilic still doesn't possess mental power enough to play the finishing point thrice as one needs to against a golden retriever like Nadal. Sadly, now Nadal will have a mental edge the next time he plays Cilic.

Start da Game
01-24-2011, 06:41 PM
If 'match ups' didn't exist, then every style of play would be equally effective against every other style of play, and players wouldn't need to to alter their tactics from match to match.

What you're arguing is that it's up to each player to figure out how to overcome a particular opponent, which is perfectly true, but doesn't undermine the original point which that how easy it is to do this will depend on how that players' natural play style matches up to his opponents'.

I think it's difficult to argue for example that Nadal finds it harder to deal with aggressive players who are able to take the ball early, and take his time away, than defensive baseliners. The converse is perhaps true for Federer, who can break down when forced to hit shot after shot to finish points - hence his tough matches against Simon.

The end result is that how a player performs against one particular opponent - who may be uniquely suited to exploit his weaknesses - isn't necessarily a good indication of his overall level of ability, on a given surface. For example, Roddick has beaten Robredo comfortably in all of their 11 meetings, even on clay. Yet Robredo is a much better clay courter than Roddick, as his results show.

nope, match up is a theoretical bullshit.......bad match ups are horrible illusions........

'how easy or how hard' depends on how adaptable you are.......period......i don't really see anything more to discuss in this........you cannot go out there, close your eyes and swing the racket if your opponent is your so called good match up, can you? similarly, you cannot go out there, stand like a pillar and give up against your so called bad match up.......

match ups can be argued both ways.......federina can be a tough match up to simon.......a pusher like simon would have no prayer if federina can use her volleying ability a bit and also serve strong.......where is his so called "complete game"? allowing simon to dictate him does not mean simon is his bad match up........it's actually federina's weakness, gamewise or mental.......

portraying a player's weakness as a result of bad match up is equal to committing a sin: discrediting the opponent.......

rhinooooo
01-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Like night and day, Del Potro has killer instinct, a pair of huge balls hang down between his legs and he can actually generate great power from both wings.

gmHf_1kqJc0#t=00m50s

malisha
01-24-2011, 06:55 PM
^ awsome show

malisha
01-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Cilic still doesn't possess mental power enough to play the finishing point thrice

Cilic always hated that

and no it doesnt need to be top retriever...Dev varman pulled it out for example

luie
01-24-2011, 07:22 PM
looks like the 5hr match cilic had with Isner proved too difficult to overcome.

Singularity
01-24-2011, 07:32 PM
nope, match up is a theoretical bullshit.......bad match ups are horrible illusions........

'how easy or how hard' depends on how adaptable you are.......period......i don't really see anything more to discuss in this........you cannot go out there, close your eyes and swing the racket if your opponent is your so called good match up, can you? similarly, you cannot go out there, stand like a pillar and give up against your so called bad match up.......
Of course not. Every time Robredo goes into a match against Roddick, he goes in to win - and he should win, on clay at least. That doesn't change the fact that the dynamics of that match up make it very hard for him. The matchup is what you get 'given', if you like, and it's your job as a player to try to work round it, and do your best. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Players aren't infinitely adaptable. Nadal will never play like Federer and Federer will never play like Nadal, and that means they'll struggle with different sorts of opponents. That's just a fact.

match ups can be argued both ways.......federina can be a tough match up to simon.......a pusher like simon would have no prayer if federina can use her volleying ability a bit and also serve strong.......where is his so called "complete game"? allowing simon to dictate him does not mean simon is his bad match up........it's actually federina's weakness, gamewise or mental.......
So, if Federer was a different player, Simon wouldn't be a bad match up for him. Sure, I can agree with that (though arguably Federer is always the one who's dictating; it's just that Simon's counter punching forces him into errors). My point though is that the way Federer plays, Simon is a bad match up for him.

Saying that isn't discrediting Simon. It's recognising that he posseses the game to exploit Federer's weakneses, and so Federer will struggle with Simon more than against other opponents who in some sense are of greater 'ability', but lack the tools Simon has. That's what saying Simon is a bad match up to Federer means. It doesn't mean that we somehow discount Simon's victories. It's not an 'excuse' for losing. It's just stating a fact.

Everko
01-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Domination. Cilic is a waste of a top 20 spot. Terrible player and Nadal will never lose again to that guy

careergrandslam
01-24-2011, 07:57 PM
nadal didnt look good at all too passive again
his shirt too big now too

Nadal seem to be extremly defensive and not winning many free points on his serve unlike in usopen, Cilic is a headcase but I cant see how he can win against Murray and he will have his hands full against Djokovic aswell if they meet in the final. I dont know why many fans seem happy about this performance, it is the same defensive Nadal I have seen on hardcourt 2007-2010 (except USOPEN 2010), this kind of game wont win big titles unless Nadal avoids playing Djokovic and Murray. He should still win against Federer with this tennis, Federer-Nadal on slow hardcourt is 40-60, as both are playing bad tennis I would hold those odds as true for this tournament.

nadal is playing his passive bullshit that he ends up getting destroyed like tsonga AO 2008 or del potro USO 2009.

this nadal will be lucky to win a set vs murray, djokovic and even federer.
nadal was very lucky in this match that when nadal was passive cilic made very bad errors and let nadal off the hook, murray,djoko, fed wont let that happen.

u dont win hardcourt titles playing passive and waiting for errors. the match was very boring, even the commentators were saying it. the crowd never got into the match because there was hardly a winner.

nadal's run here will end in the semifinals and by some miracle murray doesnt destroy him, then either djokovic or federer will certainly destroy him.
nadal usually gets the seminfinal jitters, so i expect him to lose to murray in the semis.

when nadal is not confident, he doesnt play that DTL forehand, he only sticks to his CC forehand and that CC forehand vs murray goes right into murray's strike zone in his backhand, same with djokovic.
his backhand is not penetrating like it used to, no confidence in that shot.

ofcourse i want rafa to win, but this level is not championship winning form.

in a world of diminished expectations, i guess for some people,including the media, nadal is back to his best, but i beg to differ.

Blackbriar
01-24-2011, 08:05 PM
This was a beating, seriously. Even my fav was not humiliated to this point against Berdych. There was no match, just total annihilation. Even the crowd who was 95% pro-Nadal (and 5% not even pro-Cilic) was bored to death and whistled during all 3rd set.
One of the worst matches of the week, arguably. No winners, lots of UE, double-faults, it was just plain horrible. So far, Nadal has played none of the few good matches of this tournament. He played average but the other guy was not nearly average. Seriously, the hype around this guy was one of the biggest fluke of tennis history.

mgasol
01-24-2011, 08:08 PM
cilic was tired. nadal still havent played one legit opponent.

Forehander
01-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Cilic's tennis strokes are so fucking ugly. Glad he got blasted off the court he was hurting my eyes.

Forehander
01-24-2011, 09:29 PM
This was a beating, seriously. Even my fav was not humiliated to this point against Berdych. There was no match, just total annihilation. Even the crowd who was 95% pro-Nadal (and 5% not even pro-Cilic) was bored to death and whistled during all 3rd set.
One of the worst matches of the week, arguably. No winners, lots of UE, double-faults, it was just plain horrible. So far, Nadal has played none of the few good matches of this tournament. He played average but the other guy was not nearly average. Seriously, the hype around this guy was one of the biggest fluke of tennis history.

Your fav? Verdasco? He's even worst than Cilic. Atleast Cilic tried putting up a fight

The Magician
01-24-2011, 09:56 PM
People saying Nadal is a cheater because he takes too long between serves or has sometime exchanged half a sentence with his coach are about as realistic as people saying someone is a criminal because he has sometimes been given parking tickets. If they didn't hate Nadal beforehand, they would hardly take notice, far less fret about it.

But even worse is the character assasination Rafa is submitted to permanently by some here. The difference between how Nadal is perceived by most of his fellow pros and on MTF is so wild it's even funny.

Seems like some peole never lose a chance of showing their lack of class.

But keep it up, by all means, it hugely increases the fun!

Good to see Peribsen is still a clown :cool: If you missed the match, Nadull returned a serve out and then challenged the serve, at least 10 seconds past the initial call. Not only is this illegal and Nadull using his status to browbeat umpires, it wasn't even necessary. Nadull was already 2 sets and a break up. More than anything, Nadull simply doesn't have any respect for the game or his opponents, so the idea that the rules apply to him is not even on his radar.

Dmitry Verdasco
01-24-2011, 09:58 PM

:eek::drool:

nole_no1
01-24-2011, 09:59 PM
Biggest mug of all time Cilic
Nadal didn't do anything special than putting the balls in and Cilic was doing unforced over unforced over unforced error like a retard he is
Oh and his serve today was :o absolutely terrific
I didn't watch his game against Isner in round 3 but i can't imagine how John could loose to a complete mug like this croatian
Tomic looked like top 3 in comparation with Cilic
Retire Mugrin :o

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 10:32 PM

Make no mistake, Rafa will destroy Murray if they meet now, the gap has widened between them over the last 12 months. Murray was fortunate to meet Rafa at the lowest point of his career - at AO 2010 when he was lower in confidence than at any point of his career coming off the worst WTF performance a player could have (not even winning a match) and still adjusting to his new strings too. Impossible to suggest that today's Rafa is even in the same universe as 2010 AO Rafa. And Murray is playing no better now than he was in 2010 AO, in fact Murray hasn't even faced legit competition yet to show any kind of world-beating form.

mgasol
01-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Make no mistake, Rafa will destroy Murray if they meet now, the gap has widened between them over the last 12 months. Murray was fortunate to meet Rafa at the lowest point of his career - at AO 2010 when he was lower in confidence than at any point of his career coming off the worst WTF performance a player could have (not even winning a match) and still adjusting to his new strings too. Impossible to suggest that today's Rafa is even in the same universe as 2010 AO Rafa. And Murray is playing no better now than he was in 2010 AO, in fact Murray hasn't even faced legit competition yet to show any kind of world-beating form.

i think you read my previous comment and is just talking out of your ass here. nadull is the one who hasnt faced any legit competition. murray will school nadull in a hard court slam as usual. its already a done deal.

rafaholic
01-24-2011, 10:48 PM
i think you read my previous comment and is just talking out of your ass here. nadull is the one who hasnt faced any legit competition. murray will school nadull in a hard court slam as usual. its already a done deal.
like in WTF??? and that was even indoors

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 10:55 PM

None of Murray's opponents are on the level of 2010 semi-finalist Cilic, so how can you measure his form exactly?

Corey Feldman
01-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Robredo made 1 UE in second set v Fed, Nadal hasnt played an opponent who can last 2 minutes without making an UE

Let me guess, Nadal isn't sick anymore?good guess

Corey Feldman
01-24-2011, 11:14 PM
like in WTF??? and that was even indoorsno, like the Aussie Open last year when Nadal quit out

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 11:21 PM
no, like the Aussie Open last year when Nadal quit out

Obviously though nobody would ever compare a slam-tough Rafa 2011 to the Rafa that turned up to AO 2010 having not won a match at the 2009 WTF. The confidence levels must be polar opposite, not to mention the game level and as Jim Courier mentioned Rafa was struggling to adjust to his new strings in early 2010. There were too many factors against him both physically and mentally at this time last year and he still managed to break Murray a couple of times in that QF meeting.

Certinfy
01-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Robredo made 1 UE in second set v Fed, Nadal hasnt played an opponent who can last 2 minutes without making an UE
He only hit 4 winners in that set though :retard:

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
01-24-2011, 11:33 PM
rafa currently wil not beat andy

if rafa improves it will be 50/50 vs murray. murray's game here is too good... if rafa can take it to 5 he wil def beat murray because rafa is the 5th set king

ferrer will be BYE at best... at least he'l put up more fight than verdasco usually does

nadal hasn't been tested at all this AO... could come back and haunt him because he may not be ready for a big tester like murray

Clay Death
01-24-2011, 11:36 PM
clay warrior`s physical condition is improving. he needs 2 more matches where he gets to hit a ton of balls.

translation: its over. i did say that if he made the quarters, he was going to town.

well guess what fedZEALOTS? he is going to town. professional weepers will be provided to aid your weeping sessions. its a free public service that i provide.

coonster14
01-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Not the best performance from Rafa, played too many short balls for my liking, he definitely will have to improve on that for the QF against Ferrer and possible SF against Murray because the better players will make Rafa pay for that.

Good to see that physically he looked better last night than he did against Tomic where he was just sweating away 2.5kg of bullets.

Cilic, what a horrible performance, and ended the match with a double fault as well, :o

Looking forward to Rafa vs. Pics :)

mgasol
01-24-2011, 11:46 PM
clay warrior`s physical condition is improving. he needs 2 more matches where he gets to hit a ton of balls.

translation: its over. i did say that if he made the quarters, he was going to town.

well guess what fedZEALOTS? he is going to town. professional weepers will be provided to aid your weeping sessions. its a free public service that i provide.

im gonna laugh my ass off if you are wrong. just so you know :)

TMJordan
01-24-2011, 11:47 PM
Good effort Cilic...complete mug.

The Tradesman will take Rafito down.

Clay Death
01-24-2011, 11:54 PM

and i am laughing my ass off at buffoonian clowneers like you right now.

habibko
01-25-2011, 12:07 AM

why is this being repeatedly brought up lately? Federer lost a set 6-1 to Robredo in the QF of RG back in 2007, not only did that not have any effect on his chances to reach the final there, but it was also the ONLY set he lost before the final of that tournament.

and why do you fast forget that Robredo did not only take a set off Nadal before, but he was a few points away from beating him had he not choked, you have to outplay Robredo to beat him and if you had any lapses in concentration or wasn't playing very well he will beat you with his relatively limited yet consistent level.

Mr. Oracle
01-25-2011, 12:14 AM

poor cilic, at least he gets a nice paycheck for his efforts. do that a few times a year and you make a heck of a good living. he doesn't seem to care too much one way or the other though. this can be a trap as it essentially turns you into a bit of a groupie who does the tour for every reason except winning (see karlovic and ljubicic). anyways, I wish I had their lives.

moon language
01-25-2011, 12:38 AM

Didn't you say Dolgopolov's forehand reminded you of Sampras's in another thread? At least you are providing your own comedy as well.

moon language
01-25-2011, 12:40 AM
What was up with Nadal's shirt? It looked like he was wearing a size larger. Maybe the sweating really is all to do with that shirt and so he decided to go for something looser to try to help?

mgasol
01-25-2011, 12:59 AM
Didn't you say Dolgopolov's forehand reminded you of Sampras's in another thread? At least you are providing your own comedy as well.

yes i did. how exactly is that comedy. comedy is to say nadals fh reminds me of sampras.

moon language
01-25-2011, 01:29 AM
yes i did. how exactly is that comedy. comedy is to say nadals fh reminds me of sampras.

It's comedy because his forehand is nothing like Sampras's. Have you really ever seen Sampras's forehand? It has about as much in common with it as Nadal's, so you should probably understand.

Mimi
01-25-2011, 02:30 AM
The clowns who believe in such crap, weak era, only use this argument when Nadal is the matter.

Whn Federina wins his slams, he's a warrior.
When he beat clowns in GS finals, he's the magician.

Nadal won most of his slams beating Federina.

Look at the clowns Federina had to beat in several GS finals.

2 pesos, 2 medidas.

:bigclap::bigclap:

Mimi
01-25-2011, 02:50 AM

well, nadal also schooled Murray in wimby twice:p. The most important thing is:

Rafa = 9 slams
Murray = 0 slams:p

@Sweet Cleopatra
01-25-2011, 04:02 AM
Vamos. I am happy Rafa doesn't feel very sick any more.

tests
01-25-2011, 04:07 AM
this rafa is very sick.

@Sweet Cleopatra
01-25-2011, 04:11 AM
this rafa is very sick.

No, he said he doesn't feel very sick any more.

nadal_slam_king
01-25-2011, 04:14 AM
Good effort Cilic...complete mug.

The Tradesman will take Rafito down.

Yikes, this thread will be bumped for an eternity :yeah:

nadal_slam_king
01-25-2011, 04:16 AM
well, nadal also schooled Murray in wimby twice:p. The most important thing is:

Rafa = 9 slams
Murray = 0 slams:p

LOL awesome jinkx rep mimi, good thinking :yeah: (not that i believe in jingxes).

Mimi
01-25-2011, 04:29 AM
LOL awesome jinkx rep mimi, good thinking :yeah: (not that i believe in jingxes).
not really anti-jinx, i am really scared of Murray who is in good form:scared::bolt::nerner:

Mjau!
01-25-2011, 04:48 AM
What was up with Nadal's shirt? It looked like he was wearing a size larger. Maybe the sweating really is all to do with that shirt and so he decided to go for something looser to try to help?

Maybe it looks looser because he loses 2.5 kg per match? :unsure:

nadal_slam_king
01-25-2011, 05:18 AM
not really anti-jinx, i am really scared of Murray who is in good form:scared::bolt::nerner:

Awesome :D I believe you ;)

Start da Game
01-25-2011, 06:11 AM
Of course not. Every time Robredo goes into a match against Roddick, he goes in to win - and he should win, on clay at least. That doesn't change the fact that the dynamics of that match up make it very hard for him. The matchup is what you get 'given', if you like, and it's your job as a player to try to work round it, and do your best. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Players aren't infinitely adaptable. Nadal will never play like Federer and Federer will never play like Nadal, and that means they'll struggle with different sorts of opponents. That's just a fact.

So, if Federer was a different player, Simon wouldn't be a bad match up for him. Sure, I can agree with that (though arguably Federer is always the one who's dictating; it's just that Simon's counter punching forces him into errors). My point though is that the way Federer plays, Simon is a bad match up for him.

Saying that isn't discrediting Simon. It's recognising that he posseses the game to exploit Federer's weakneses, and so Federer will struggle with Simon more than against other opponents who in some sense are of greater 'ability', but lack the tools Simon has. That's what saying Simon is a bad match up to Federer means. It doesn't mean that we somehow discount Simon's victories. It's not an 'excuse' for losing. It's just stating a fact.

you still fail to comprehend the point that match up can be argued both ways........i gave you the simon example.......the del potro example and can give several other examples........

it can be argued that the way federina plays, he is a bad match up to a defensive pusher like simon.......with a strong serve, strong net game and strong ground game, he is the one who is at advantage practically........the fact that simon gets under his skin and makes him play differently is not due to the so called bad match up.......it's only to simon's credit that he takes federina out of his comfort zone and also federina's weakness to be unable to exert his game........

FormerRafaFan
01-25-2011, 06:26 AM
No, he said he doesn't feel very sick any more.

Just ignore the haters, they love to stir up shit just for the sake of it..

Singularity
01-25-2011, 06:30 PM
you still fail to comprehend the point that match up can be argued both ways........i gave you the simon example.......the del potro example and can give several other examples........

it can be argued that the way federina plays, he is a bad match up to a defensive pusher like simon.......with a strong serve, strong net game and strong ground game, he is the one who is at advantage practically........the fact that simon gets under his skin and makes him play differently is not due to the so called bad match up.......it's only to simon's credit that he takes federina out of his comfort zone and also federina's weakness to be unable to exert his game........
The aggressor always has the advantage in the sense that he just needs to execute on his shots to win. So in that sense, when Federer plays Simon, victory is in his hands. That doesn't change the fact that Simon's style of play makes it difficult for Federer to execute his gameplan, because he has to hit shot after shot to finish points - which can cause his game to break down, resulting in errors.

Yes, that's a weakness on Federer's part, but it's a weakness to a specific style of play. That's what a bad match up is. Federer doesn't have this problem with aggressive players, because he's able to impose his game on them much more easily; hence his record against someone like Soderling. Again, to deny that match ups exist is to deny that it makes a difference what your opponents playstyle is.

The examples you give are evidence of players' games (and thus the match up) changing. For example, the Del Potro that faced Federer in FO 09 was much improved over the Del Potro that Federer had met previously, to the point where his serve had gone from being a weakness, to being almost unbreakable (in that match, anyway). Match ups are not static things: they change as players change and evolve. For example, many of the players that were a bad match up to the pre-2003 Federer, turned out out not to be a bad match up to the post-2003 Federer.