Andy Murray and Djokovic AO Final [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy Murray and Djokovic AO Final

shiaben
01-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Unfortunately, in most grand slams we have seen these two put on the opposite sides.
Usually Djokovic getting Federer, while Murray is usually set with Nadal.

Assuming Nadal was upset by Murray (given his performance experience against Nadal on hardcourts and the fact that Nadal might be possibly weaker i.e. fever, sickness), and if Djokovic managed to dismantle Federer or survive in a tough match (given that Federer can choke away his serve, spray forehand/backhand errors, given that his stamina/endurance have become weaker), who do you think would have the best chance of taking the Australian Open title??

Would Djokovic defeat Murray because of h2h records?? (probably the least relevant).
Would Djokovic defeat Murray because of his slam experience?? (defeating many top opponents and making consistent runs to the QF's, SF's etc.)
Would Djokovic defeat Murray because his game is more refined?? (has been playing well on all dimensions, serve has been solid as of late, has become much more faster, doesn't abuse drop shots i.e. less lazier)

or

Would Murray defeat Djokovic because he's hungrier for a slam?? (hasn't won one yet).
Would Murray defeat Djokovic because of the crowd?? (Australia-England people similarity, perhaps more backing)
Would Murray defeat Djokovic because he's won the last few h2h??

Pros and Cons:

Djokovic vs. Murray

Djokovic has a forehand with a great deal of depth and power. Can hit it anywhere including the edges of the baseline when its on fire. Not as accurate as Murray's but pretty reliable. Murray's forehand is more accurate/defensive, but doesn't implement too many forehand winners or powerful offensive attacks. +1 for Djokovic

Both have amazing backhands. When Djokovic is playing consistently, he's able to generate amazing down the line winners and some heavy shots, uses some nice drop shots. Murray's on average is incredibly consistent regardless of how he uses it. He's also amazing with the slices, lobs, volleys, passing shots, overall etc. +1 for Murray.

Both men have useful serves when the first serve % is high. Normally these guys are on the same level. But I'm giving a slight advantage to Djokovic for this year only (improved greatly). +1 for Djokovic

Murray's volleys are better than Djokovic. Djokovic sometimes chokes on some net plays. +1 for Murray.

Djokovic has a higher % of return of serve for break points, regular points, and games than Murray in 2010. +1 for Djokovic.

Both have great footwork +1 for both.

Stamina and endurance are probably the same for both +1 for both.

With all this said, it seems Djokovic has more advantages. I would take Djokovic if they were to face in this tournament.

coonster14
01-24-2011, 08:11 AM
I would so love to see a Nolandy final, good to see something different for a change, and these two guys really need to step it up this year, about time that the Fedal dominance started to slowly dip.

If that were to happen, I'll go with Nole in 4 sets, it will be a very interesting match, definitely one that I would love to watch.

cheriamor
01-24-2011, 08:13 AM
I would love to see this final happen! NOLANDY FTW!

I really don't know who would win though. Both are stronger players then they were the last time they met in 2009. So I can't judge based on their performance against each other. They are both in excellent form so far this year and seemed to have upped their game. I'll give a slight edge to Djokovic, but in all honesty I don't know. Murray has won the past three they have played (but once again that was a very long time ago.) This would be an interesting match. Ironic since they have been practicing together a lot.

Synesthetic
01-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Don't forget to factor in court surface and conditions. If you eliminate that as a factor I'd pick Murray...but on a medium/slow hardcourt played in the evening/at night (colder conditions would reduce the effects of Murray's slice), I think I'd favour Djokovic who seems to thrive in night matches, although slow conditions would also make Murray's defense more difficult to penetrate. In the three matches Murray won against Djokovic, it was either on a medium/fast hardcourt (Toronto '08), or in hot conditions (Miami '09), or both :lol: (Cincinnati '08), so we haven't really seen the two of them play against each other under the conditions that would be present on the night of the AO final. I believe it's a significant factor - just think the 2010 WTF final, where the low-bouncing properties of the O2 arena court and the indoor conditions facilitated a Federer victory.

In terms of form both seem to be equally good so far in this tournament, although neither have been severely tested - Almagro and Melzer were both bad match-ups and played relatively poorly. The Djokovic-Berdych QF clash tomorrow will be telling.

Clydey
01-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Unfortunately, in most grand slams we have seen these two put on the opposite sides.
Usually Djokovic getting Federer, while Murray is usually set with Nadal.

Assuming Nadal was upset by Murray (given his performance experience against Nadal on hardcourts and the fact that Nadal might be possibly weaker i.e. fever, sickness), and if Djokovic managed to dismantle Federer or survive in a tough match (given that Federer can choke away his serve, spray forehand/backhand errors, given that his stamina/endurance have become weaker), who do you think would have the best chance of taking the Australian Open title??

Would Djokovic defeat Murray because of h2h records?? (probably the least relevant).
Would Djokovic defeat Murray because of his slam experience?? (defeating many top opponents and making consistent runs to the QF's, SF's etc.)
Would Djokovic defeat Murray because his game is more refined?? (has been playing well on all dimensions, serve has been solid as of late, has become much more faster, doesn't abuse drop shots i.e. less lazier)

or

Would Murray defeat Djokovic because he's hungrier for a slam?? (hasn't won one yet).
Would Murray defeat Djokovic because of the crowd?? (Australia-England people similarity, perhaps more backing)
Would Murray defeat Djokovic because he's won the last few h2h??

Pros and Cons:

Djokovic vs. Murray

Djokovic has a forehand with a great deal of depth and power. Can hit it anywhere including the edges of the baseline when its on fire. Not as accurate as Murray's but pretty reliable. Murray's forehand is more accurate/defensive, but doesn't implement too many forehand winners or powerful offensive attacks. +1 for Djokovic

Both have amazing backhands. When Djokovic is playing consistently, he's able to generate amazing down the line winners and some heavy shots, uses some nice drop shots. Murray's on average is incredibly consistent regardless of how he uses it. He's also amazing with the slices, lobs, volleys, passing shots, overall etc. +1 for Murray.

Both men have useful serves when the first serve % is high. Normally these guys are on the same level. But I'm giving a slight advantage to Djokovic for this year only (improved greatly). +1 for Djokovic

Murray's volleys are better than Djokovic. Djokovic sometimes chokes on some net plays. +1 for Murray.

Djokovic has a higher % of return of serve for break points, regular points, and games than Murray in 2010. +1 for Djokovic.

Both have great footwork +1 for both.

Stamina and endurance are probably the same for both +1 for both.

With all this said, it seems Djokovic has more advantages. I would take Djokovic if they were to face in this tournament.

Giving Djokovic the edge on return? Do me a favour. He finished ahead of Murray once on return stats out of, what, 5 years on tour. And last year was Murray's worst in the last 3. The vast majority will tell you that Murray is the better returner.

Vida
01-24-2011, 11:48 AM
I bet it'd be a great match. they know each others games very well so they'd have to aim at the little things.

NadalesDios
01-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Not gonna happen

Synesthetic
01-27-2011, 01:43 PM
This is looking likely now, good call!

Having read Federer's press conference, I think the night conditions favour Djokovic over Murray. Roger was saying that it was difficult to implement variety due to the low bounce/slow conditions neutralising any type of spin/change of pace he wanted to put on the ball, which won't help Murray.

Novak's had 3 evening matches now, too - tomorrow will be Murray's first at this year's AO. In terms of form Djokovic seems to have the edge too; he's in far better form than I anticipated, while Murray wasn't too convincing in his QF although that may have been more to do with the unorthodox play of Dolgopolov. Djokovic will have 24 hours more rest than Murray before the final. All the signs seem to point to Djokovic winning his second slam.

shiaben
01-27-2011, 05:23 PM
I have a bad feeling the Djokovic Murray final (assuming Ferrer doesn't ruin it), will be lob sided for some reason.

Djokovic current form is at a higher class than Murray's.

I heard Murray still has 30-40% first serve ratio, while Djokovic is serving at an amazing 71% in some of these matches i.e. against Federer a great example.

Djokovic return game has drastically improved. And as you've said nighttime conditions etc. etc.

I think this match will be more one sided than Djokovic match against Federer last night, and Federer's match against Murray in 09.

I think something like 6-3, 6-2, 6-3. Unless Murray's accuracy/defensive game some how makes Djokovic lose it and spray errors left and right, but Djokovic base game has been accurate as I see it thus far, so I doubt it.

MalwareDie
01-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Djokovic is going to spray errors due to Murray's superior defense. Britain will cream itself come Sunday.

MilosSs
01-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Not gonna happen

you have failed.

Clydey
01-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Ferrer isn't just going to lie down to Murray. Andy might be the favourite, but let's not put him in the final just yet.

peribsen
01-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Ferrer isn't just going to lie down to Murray. Andy might be the favourite, but let's not put him in the final just yet.

Tut, tut, that would require people being reasonable and respectful. Wrong webpage.

Kiedis
01-27-2011, 08:25 PM
you have failed.

Ferrer says hello :wavey:

Ibracadabra
01-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Djokovic by far the better returner. He's agressive unlike murray who just trys to get into the rally.

Seingeist
01-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Tut, tut, that would require people being reasonable and respectful. Wrong webpage.

+1 :yeah: