Poll: A Byrdych AO win, more or less suprising than Del Potros USO win? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Poll: A Byrdych AO win, more or less suprising than Del Potros USO win?

01-24-2011, 05:30 AM
I think for many reasons Birdytch winning the AO would be much less suprising, but Birdy is totally flying under the radar at the AO so far, when infact I think he is the most likely to win going on current form.

I expect he would beat Fed, I dont think he could take Murray in the final, but I definately think he would edge a sick Rafa in the final.

What do you guys think? Hes beaten Fed at a slam and a former slam finalist so obviously he wouldnt be a shock like Del Pot, but why is no one talking up his chances?

oranges
01-24-2011, 05:32 AM
What an idiotic jinx, have a bad rep for it.

01-24-2011, 05:35 AM
What an idiotic jinx, have a bad rep for it.

Ive never bad repped you.

I also think the world should know about you and your clans pathetic atempt to turn poor Storm Lee to red and get him banned.

Your low.

oranges
01-24-2011, 05:41 AM
I also think the world should know about you and your clans pathetic atempt to turn poor Storm Lee to red and get him banned.

Your low.

Poor Storm Lee aka addicted to dishing bad reps, is a victim of bad reps, oh no, scandal. Other people getting him banned is as inane as your threads.

Pirata.
01-24-2011, 05:56 AM
Berdych won't win AO, book it.

cheriamor
01-24-2011, 06:03 AM
Berdych won't win AO, book it.

+1

Naina
01-24-2011, 06:03 AM
Berdych is an amazingly special headcase... sure he can pull of upsets but doing three or four in row is what he cannot do. DelPotro is mentally pretty solid. I think he can win more majors :shrug: So Berdych winning any major would be :eek:

shiaben
01-24-2011, 06:11 AM
Berdych is going to get a first class ass kicking by Djokovic tomorrow. Even with his French Open/Wimbledon type preparedness of last year. I forgot what my prediction was, I think either 3-4 sets. Nole will shoot for 3 sets given that he wants to save AS MUCH ENERGY as possible to dismantle Federer with risky shots with full power and footwork.

shiaben
01-24-2011, 06:14 AM
2003 to answer your hypothetical question.

If Berdych were to win it, it certainly wouldn't be surprising.

Historically speaking, Safin was the first real big man to win slams. Phillipousis, Berdych, Soderling, etc. have came close.

This era is going to see a lot of these big guys making deep runs.

As long as they eat healthy, remain in shape, and improve footwork, its certainly possible.

Remember, prior to the Del Potro win. Del Potro had terrible footwork.

He eventually improved it and won the USO, had a great run at the year end's tournament, and was looking great against the top guns until the injuries.

So that issue of health/fitness is important, especially if they eat well during childhood, you can see NBA players and others in sports that had short careers because of all size and no nutrition. Size is one thing but you need to add nutrition, fitness, work, and health.

cheriamor
01-24-2011, 06:15 AM
Berdych is going to get a first class ass kicking by Djokovic tomorrow. Even with his French Open/Wimbledon type preparedness of last year. I forgot what my prediction was, I think either 3-4 sets. Nole will shoot for 3 sets given that he wants to save AS MUCH ENERGY as possible to dismantle Federer with risky shots with full power and footwork.

Plus they are going to be playing at night, so the heat won't effect Nole at all. I predicted 4 sets, but since it isn't a day match I'd change it to 3.

shiaben
01-24-2011, 06:20 AM
Good point, I forgot about the night factor. If Federer manages to survive Wawrinka, I'm probably going to cover my eyes once he faces Djokovic.

I thought he'd still have some breath and energy in the tank. But after the Simon/Robredo games, I'm beginning to think otherwise.

Now I'm starting to think I won't get to see the rematch of last year with Murray winning in 4 :(.

01-24-2011, 06:21 AM
I think you guys a wrong, I think Birditch is going to be the one to dismantle Djokovitch, and I wouldnt be suprised if he did it in 3 sets.

Birdy is an unbelievable hot ballbasher when hes hot, and has marginally better fitness than Novak even coming off tough matches.

If Birditch is on, I think he takes this one. Since 2008 Djokovitch has always come unstuck at the AO.

GlennMirnyi
01-24-2011, 06:42 AM
Ive never bad repped you.

Your low.

Served him right, honestly.

shiaben
01-24-2011, 07:03 AM
Your thinking of the Djokovic with shit return of service prior to the U.S. Open 2010 where he lost the likes of players like Berdych, Safin, and other heavy servers.

If you saw the way Djokovic performed against Nadal, at the USO 2010, you would have seen how much he improved.

His rallies against Federer were hard fought. Against Nadal, he raised the level just a little bit further and had some devastating 20x hit rallies. In one of the sets he really made Nadal sweat for his life and Nadal begin to show some levels of anxiety.

His return of service allowed him to break Nadal 3x on that match, something most players wouldn't be able to do 1x in that tournament.

So with that said, Berdych's serve % is not as solid as Nadal's USO, so I think Berdych won't be that much of a factor. He'll use his consistency to push for tiebreaks and snatch a tiebreak if he can manage to outserve Nole.

Regardless if he takes a set or not, Djokovic will beat him in the long run 3-4 sets. Nole himself will shoot for 3 because he doesn't want to waste energy at all against Berdych. He's hoping for something like a 6-4 6-4 6-4 etc.

shiaben
01-24-2011, 07:05 AM
If you talk about forehand exchanges and ball bashing. Djokovic will also edge out Berdych in that regards.

He's raised his game to the point where I believe he's confident enough to go forehand to forehand with many of these guys.

Sometimes he hits the ball so freaking hard when he's on, that you think it is Berdych, Soderling, Verdasco, Del Potro or Gonzalez hitting that poor ball.

GlennMirnyi
01-24-2011, 07:08 AM
Your thinking of the Djokovic with shit return of service prior to the U.S. Open 2010 where he lost the likes of players like Berdych, Safin, and other heavy servers.

If you saw the way Djokovic performed against Nadal, at the USO 2010, you would have seen how much he improved.

His rallies against Federer were hard fought. Against Nadal, he raised the level just a little bit further and had some devastating 20x hit rallies. In one of the sets he really made Nadal sweat for his life and Nadal begin to show some levels of anxiety.

His return of service allowed him to break Nadal 3x on that match, something most players wouldn't be able to do 1x in that tournament.

So with that said, Berdych's serve % is not as solid as Nadal's USO, so I think Berdych won't be that much of a factor. He'll use his consistency to push for tiebreaks and snatch a tiebreak if he can manage to outserve Nole.

Regardless if he takes a set or not, Djokovic will beat him in the long run 3-4 sets. Nole himself will shoot for 3 because he doesn't want to waste energy at all against Berdych. He's hoping for something like a 6-4 6-4 6-4 etc.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

He improved, you say... then his returns were worse than Isner's?

01-24-2011, 07:38 AM
Joker BITCH was absolute crap in that US Open final.

shiaben
01-24-2011, 08:01 AM
Crap??

That's pretty insulting. He won one set you know.

He was the closest competitor to come near Nadal.

Dominated him in one of the sets, and looked close at times.

Nadal was too good.

Djokovic just needs to keep that intense play for hours duration, and then he can MAYBE break him.

Everyone else, neigh. I'll let the Djokovic/Berdych match do the talking if he wins in 3-4 sets.

MIMIC
01-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Honestly, any of the top guys winning should be a surprise. Every single one of them has at the very LEAST been to a slam final so going one step further at this point in their careers (Murray, Berdych, Soderling...although he's out) shouldn't be all THAT surprising.

Anyone other than Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, Murray or Berdych winning would (SHOULD) be surprising.

EDIT: I just realized that I didn't answer the question :lol:

I don't think either win (Berdych & del Potro) is more or less surprising than the other.

Pirao666
01-24-2011, 11:17 AM

And this is how you know most people know sh*t about tennis and just post whatever their hatred filled minds come up with on the moment.

zlaja777
01-24-2011, 11:30 AM

+1

nevenez
01-24-2011, 12:20 PM
If you talk about forehand exchanges and ball bashing. Djokovic will also edge out Berdych in that regards.

He's raised his game to the point where I believe he's confident enough to go forehand to forehand with many of these guys.

Sometimes he hits the ball so freaking hard when he's on, that you think it is Berdych, Soderling, Verdasco, Del Potro or Gonzalez hitting that poor ball.
No way that Djokovic forehand can be compared to this guys...

robiht
01-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Less surprising, but not going to happen...

Preston
01-24-2011, 01:24 PM
More surprising because of how well the top players are currently playing. The top tier of tennis at the moment, which I feel is #1 Nadal, #2 Fed, #3 Djok, & #5 Murray, are all playing up to form. So that's why it would be more of a surprise, than when Poltro won when the favorites were basically Fed & Murray at the time.

Surcouf
01-24-2011, 01:37 PM

Djokovic was amazing in that final. It was the highest level of tennis of the year. Nadal and Djokovic were playing absolutely fantastic, with incredible shot making. Djokovic played better in the final than against Federer. That was probably is best match of the year. But Nadal played even better.

ossie
01-24-2011, 01:59 PM
birdshit wont be winning any slams so its pointless to discuss this

GlennMirnyi
01-24-2011, 02:36 PM

This!

Crap??

That's pretty insulting. He won one set you know.

He was the closest competitor to come near Nadal.

Dominated him in one of the sets, and looked close at times.

Nadal was too good.

Djokovic just needs to keep that intense play for hours duration, and then he can MAYBE break him.

Everyone else, neigh. I'll let the Djokovic/Berdych match do the talking if he wins in 3-4 sets.

:rolleyes:

Nadull is just a mug moonballer and had the easiest draw in the history of tennis, real tennis and jeu de paume. Faker beat Frauderer in the best match of the tournament and then bent over to the moonballer. Stop with the wishful thinking. Faker had to go out there and put out such a pathetic, disgusting performance in the final.

abraxas21
01-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Berdych is a clueless mug. He'll never win a GS.

Li Ching Yuen
01-24-2011, 03:28 PM

Berdych's ball is hard and hit pretty flat, which means it stays pretty low, it will be hard for Nole to crank the forehands, he'll most likely just manage to hit the loopier rally version.

I think Djokovic's weapon will be his serve. I've been impressed so far.

Djokovic in 4 with Berdych maybe snatching a breaker.

straitup
01-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Berdych would be about 100 times more surprising than Del Potro...whereas Delpo was in fantastic form going into the US Open, Berdych has been in crap form since Toronto/Wimbledon. Delpo matched up well with Nadal and Federer, beating Rafa in Miami in 2009 and improving against Federer from the drubbing at the AO in 2009.

Not to mention Berdych has no mental strength, and Del Potro has plenty

Roger the Dodger
01-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Poor Storm Lee aka addicted to dishing bad reps, is a victim of bad reps, oh no, scandal. Other people getting him banned is as inane as your threads.

:rolls: You too? I thought it was just me and GlennMirnyi who were his best victims. He's a total tool!