Who else thinks that Andy Roddick should just retire? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who else thinks that Andy Roddick should just retire?

lleytonfan!
01-23-2011, 11:34 AM
He has a had a good career, reaching number 1, winning a slam, losing in 4 other slam finals, and winning 29 titles.

The fact is though, that he just can't hurt the top players. He can get outhit by almost everyone in the top 30, and most of the time, it's only his serve that gets him through matches. He has been simply outplayed by Tipsarevic and Wawrinka in consecutive slams. If such decent, but not great players can so thoroughly beat him, what chance does he have against better players like Djokovic, Soderling and Murray (for some reason he can beat Berdych though), let alone Nadal and Federer?

Raiden
01-23-2011, 11:35 AM
No.

He's the funniest man on the ATP tour (in terms of telling jokes and making apt remarks) so he should stay

scarecrows
01-23-2011, 11:36 AM
nah, we'd miss beatdowns like this

it's great to see him so clueless in the court

syc23
01-23-2011, 11:38 AM
The only thing that could revive Roddick's career is if ITF made all slams played on grass.

Topspindoctor
01-23-2011, 11:38 AM
No, his suicide net rushing is hilarious to watch.

Winston's Human
01-23-2011, 11:41 AM
If there were any other decent American men playing, he might consider it.

I sometimes wonder Andy is simply waiting for some other American player to pick up the standard -- it sure does not look like its going to come from Fish, Querrey or Isner.

shadows
01-23-2011, 11:44 AM
I could quite happily watch him get slaughtered by superior players for a while yet ^^

Commander Data
01-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Stop pushing, if that doesn't work, retire.

samjones
01-23-2011, 12:06 PM
He has a had a good career, reaching number 1, winning a slam, losing in 4 other slam finals, and winning 29 titles.

The fact is though, that he just can't hurt the top players. He can get outhit by almost everyone in the top 30, and most of the time, it's only his serve that gets him through matches. He has been simply outplayed by Tipsarevic and Wawrinka in consecutive slams. If such decent, but not great players can so thoroughly beat him, what chance does he have against better players like Djokovic, Soderling and Murray (for some reason he can beat Berdych though), let alone Nadal and Federer?

Your facts are correct - your conclusion is not. Andy had an amazing run in '03, true enough. Since then he's been the same old Andy year-in, year-out. He's capable of outstanding performances at times. He's also capable of making JANKO TIPSAREVIC..... I repeat.... JANKO TIPSAREVIC, look like a tennis god. There's no making your peace with Andy Roddick. He is simply an infuriating player to watch. I don't consider that to be anything new for him and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him make a deep run at Wimbledon this year. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him lose to some guy I never heard of in the 3rd round. That's just Andy Roddick.

Lleyton Hewitt, otoh, he should just retire.

Tennis4you-com
01-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Nah. Top 10 and he still likes to play.

BK 201
01-23-2011, 12:12 PM
I hope not. But it is sad to see him play like this...............

Anyway, time for me to watch some matches when Roddick could hit a winner from the baseline.

nobama
01-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Nah. Top 10 and he still likes to play.hopefully he'll be out soon. I'd rather see Melzer, Wawrinka and Cilic in the top 10 than pusherduck. Hopefully Verdasco gets booted out too.

Silver.
01-23-2011, 12:18 PM
No he shouldn't. He is still number 8 in the world and has been in the top 10 for nine years. I bet the same question was asked after R2 exit US Open? He got to two masters finals last year that's still a big achievement. This is only a viable discussion once he starts SERIOUSLY dropping down the rankings.

Tennis4you-com
01-23-2011, 12:19 PM
hopefully he'll be out soon. I'd rather see Melzer, Wawrinka and Cilic in the top 10 than pusherduck. Hopefully Verdasco gets booted out too.

He won't be around forever, but as long as he keeps doing as well as he has been he will be int he top 10. I predict this is his last year in the top 10 though. Once he leaves the top 20 he will retire.

Another RogFan
01-23-2011, 12:22 PM
He just reached 4th round and he should retire? Correct me if I'm wrong but who is the best american player for last 5 years. Today's performance was awful but it means nothing.BTW this type of useless treads have no place in the middle of GS event.

solowyn
01-23-2011, 12:23 PM
He wants to play DC.

samjones
01-23-2011, 12:29 PM
BTW this type of useless treads have no place in the middle of GS event.

Says who? You?

Does anyone up here care?

samjones
01-23-2011, 12:31 PM

I sometimes wonder Andy is simply waiting for some other American player to pick up the standard -- it sure does not look like its going to come from Fish, Querrey or Isner.

I find extremely unlikely that Andy factors the quality of play of other Americans in any of his decisions to play or not play.

He'll probably retire at the end of 2012 with 90% of the other used-to-be's on the tour.

Another RogFan
01-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Says who? You?

Does anyone up here care?

WOW, take it easy man. It was harsh. But of course when your personal life is threaten you should react:cuckoo:

samjones
01-23-2011, 12:40 PM
WOW, take it easy man. It was harsh. But of course when your personal life is threaten you should react:cuckoo:

Are you Andy Roddick? If not then this message board isn't talking about "your personal life". I doubt anybody up here cares whether you think a thread is "useless" or appropriately timed. I couldn't care less what you think about anything. All the threads up here are useless and about 80% of them are inappropriately timed.

If you don't like the thread you're reading then I think you should consider yourself lucky that there's more than one thread here on this message board.

Langers
01-23-2011, 12:42 PM
He's a joke of a player these days.

Scared to go for shots, can't hit winners, belongs on the WTA tour really.

Won't ever make a real push at a Slam again.

Kiedis
01-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Why? He has never been better than he is now :shrug:

scoobs
01-23-2011, 12:46 PM
I don't think he should retire, I think he should fire.

His coach.

And get one who will force him to start playing his shots with a bit more reckless abandon. It's bizarre, he has firepower but he's far too timid to use it now and whenever his serve is put back into court, it's about 35/65 as to whether he'll win the rally against decent opposition - and that just won't cut it.

n8
01-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Humongous serve, pretty fast around the court, consistent groundies, more net approaches than your average baseliner with decent volleys means Roddick is very tough to beat for most guys on tour. He's only 28 and world number 8 and still has many dollars to earn as America's top ranked player.

Sham Kay
01-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Every little thing doesn't require retirement. If tennis players thought like 90% of tennis fans they would retire in their mid 20s. I really don't like the guy, but ARod can still do damage at the highest level as long as he doubles his efforts off court as well as on it. I actually think it would be a loss for tennis if he quit, he's entertaining for numerous reasons (mostly aside from his tennis..).

I guess this is why we're just tennis fans, with every bit of adversity most of us can only think of giving up.

Myrre
01-23-2011, 01:04 PM
I just don't understand why he didn't learn from his match against Nadal in Miami last year. He lost the first set 6/4 with his usual pushing tennis. Then in the middle of the 2nd set he started really going for his shots and played much more aggressive. Won the next sets 6/3, 6/3 with great tennis. I thought we would see a rejuvenated Roddick after that match, but no...

samjones
01-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Every little thing doesn't require retirement. If tennis players thought like 90% of tennis fans they would retire in their mid 20s. I really don't like the guy, but ARod can still do damage at the highest level as long as he doubles his efforts off court as well as on it.

True enough. Andy Roddick has basically been a "top 10 player" for most of his career. It isn't really fair to describe him and Roger Federer being rivals because Roger has simply had a better career - period. If Andy can keep performing as a top 10 player then I see no problem with his sticking around for many years if he cares to. Roger, on the other hand, should get while the getting is good. He missed 3 straight slam finals. If he misses a 4th he'd better ask himself what his continued play may be doing to the Federer legacy.

samjones
01-23-2011, 01:12 PM
I just don't understand why he didn't learn from his match against Nadal in Miami last year.

He's not a learn-from-his-mistakes kind-of guy.

Blackbriar
01-23-2011, 01:18 PM
He will sure retire frm top 10 this year. and for good.

cristalmeister
01-23-2011, 01:21 PM
I like watching Andy, both when he sucks and when he pulls out some srsly good tennis out of his ass (that actually happens once in a while). Though he is at his best in pressconferences :yeah:

samjones
01-23-2011, 01:29 PM
He will sure retire frm top 10 this year. and for good.

You may be right, but as I look at the rankings for this tournament, nobody made any real progress toward catching up with him. Maybe Stan or Jurgen will overtake AndyR, but I think that seems unlikely and most of the other cast of characters who routinely stink up 8 - 20 rankings are sucking just as bad as Andy is.

Allez
01-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Who else gets to put lazy/biased umpires on their toes :shrug: I like the guy. His serve makes him a contender at Wimbledon more often than not. He's been around so long I can't imagine mens tennis w/o an Andy Roddick. It will be a sad day when he finally takes his cap off.

Azurebi
01-23-2011, 01:40 PM
This bitch has several $ multi-million $ sponsor deals. He won't quit until the deals end.

Dmitry Verdasco
01-23-2011, 01:54 PM
No.

He's the funniest man on the ATP tour (in terms of telling jokes and making apt remarks) so he should stay

:cuckoo:

Maybe. This is the only reason why I think Hewitt is hanging around.

No, his suicide net rushing is hilarious to watch.

I could quite happily watch him get slaughtered by superior players for a while yet ^^

PREACH :worship:

Another RogFan
01-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Are you Andy Roddick? If not then this message board isn't talking about "your personal life". I doubt anybody up here cares whether you think a thread is "useless" or appropriately timed. I couldn't care less what you think about anything. All the threads up here are useless and about 80% of them are inappropriately timed.

If you don't like the thread you're reading then I think you should consider yourself lucky that there's more than one thread here on this message board.

Good, you rush into useless discussion just 'cause you didn't care. Man, I couldn't imagine what you could do if you care.:cool:

henke007
01-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Andy is top 10 in the world and reaches O2 every year. Leyton Hewitt should retire ASAP though!!!

ossie
01-23-2011, 02:16 PM
roddick himself thinks he should retire, he looked clueless against wawrinka

samjones
01-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Good, you rush into useless discussion just 'cause you didn't care. Man, I couldn't imagine what you could do if you care.:cool:

I do care about the thread. I just don't care about your opinions about whether it's useful. Your view of the appropriateness of this thread is of no concern to me whatsoever. You should go post to threads you think are useful and leave the rest of us to waste our time here.

fran70
01-23-2011, 03:13 PM
Roddick doesn`t have to retire. He can still win tournaments (not GS) but he can win a MS and smaller tournaments and spend sometime around the top 10. Except of the top 4 the rest are just so unstable that give a hope to many others to believe that can jump to the top 10.

Aphex
01-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Yes, everyone who didn't reach the QFs of Aus Open 11 should retire. Then everyone who doesn't reach SF at RG 11 should retire. Then the two guys who don't reach Wimbledon 11 F should retire. Then the guy who loses US Open 11 F should retire. Then what? :retard:

Fed=ATPTourkilla
01-23-2011, 03:54 PM
He shouldn't retire. He just needs to abandon the pushing direction his game has taken over the last few years.

Young 8
01-23-2011, 04:00 PM
nah, we'd miss beatdowns like this

it's great to see him so clueless in the court

this

kindling
01-23-2011, 04:02 PM
This bitch has several $ multi-million $ sponsor deals. He won't quit until the deals end.

Yeah, but if he drops out of the top 15 those deals get cut in half, or something like that.

tribalfusion
01-23-2011, 04:07 PM
I think all posters who don't qualify for the slams should stop posting.

Winston's Human
01-23-2011, 04:42 PM
:cuckoo:

Maybe. This is the only reason why I think Hewitt is hanging around.

PREACH :worship:

I agree that Hewitt has the same pressure -- being the sole substantial player for a once dominant tennis nation.

SetSampras
01-23-2011, 05:11 PM
If you take results into account, Roddick should have retired 2 years ago.. Hewitt should have retired 4 years. Im assuming they are sticking around for the extra easy paydays. But in terms of results, their chances to win a slam diminished years ago. Roddick sucks anymore, not to say he was ever a great player to begin with, but he had better chances before then he does now with his pushing. Now its a surprise if he can even make a QF appearance

heya
01-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Good riddance!
It deserves its arrogant shit shoved back in its face. Fat jackass sycophant didn't take care of itself for years because its fake family begged for $$$ millions & self-promotion.
Just let it promote its satisfied attitude on the radio show, and make a fool of itself in a new mansion.
Its ugly wife will reproduce its trash spawn.
It won't retire; it needs to pleasure its mommy, who worked for its charity foundation.
It has a stubborn need to stink up the cancer cure charity events by pleading for money from idiot fans.
It became a really idiotic infant.
It needs to feel important so it can't wait to have
dead people in new floods & earthquakes. Sometimes, you can't change white trash numbskull families with money.

Chartreuse
01-23-2011, 08:00 PM
His slam winning days are over for sure.

Snowwy
01-23-2011, 08:06 PM
If you take results into account, Roddick should have retired 2 years ago.. Hewitt should have retired 4 years. Im assuming they are sticking around for the extra easy paydays. But in terms of results, their chances to win a slam diminished years ago. Roddick sucks anymore, not to say he was ever a great player to begin with, but he had better chances before then he does now with his pushing. Now its a surprise if he can even make a QF appearance

Great post..only your completely wrong.

16-14 in the 5th set of Wimbledon suggests everything you say is incorrect.

Mr. Oracle
01-23-2011, 08:40 PM
Yes please retire and let complete players showcase the game. Duck u r bad for tennis. Let the other up and coming american mug Isner take your place.

Mr. Oracle
01-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Good riddance!
It deserves its arrogant shit shoved back in its face. Fat jackass sycophant didn't take care of itself for years because its fake family begged for $$$ millions & self-promotion.
Just let it promote its satisfied attitude on the radio show, and make a fool of itself in a new mansion.
It won't retire; it needs to pleasure its mommy, who worked for its charity foundation.
It has a stubborn need to stink up the cancer cure charity events by pleading for money from idiot fans.
dead people in new floods & earthquakes. Sometimes, you can't change white trash numbskull families with money.

Wow, tell us how you really feel!
:banghead:

10is-
01-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Considering the nature of the topic, who else thinks it ironic that the thread starters username is "lleytonfan!".

SetSampras
01-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Great post..only your completely wrong.

16-14 in the 5th set of Wimbledon suggests everything you say is incorrect.

oh I must of missed it.. I didn't know Roddick won:eek:

Again... 7 years of chances at the slams.. 7 years of FAILURE. I never said Roddick couldn't compete every now and then.. I just said Roddick can't win as the results show. He could never seal the deal

samjones
01-23-2011, 09:37 PM
oh I must of missed it.. I didn't know Roddick won:eek:

Again... 7 years of chances at the slams.. 7 years of FAILURE. I never said Roddick couldn't compete every now and then.. I just said Roddick can't win as the results show. He could never seal the deal

You can't keep your numbers straight. Should he have retire 2 years ago or 7 years ago? I can't really disagree that he's not the same force that he was 7 years ago. But he's about the same as he was 2 years ago.

heya
01-23-2011, 11:02 PM
Roddick won money! Heroin dealing prostitutes did too!
You can't hold back the truth, now that he is fully exposed.
Well, the fans still hope he 'is working hard'! Sad stuff.

juan77
01-23-2011, 11:23 PM
It used to be fun watching Roddick get whipped but these days I feel bad for him. Poor guy has no chance in hell but keeps showing up like a trooper. Wimbledon '09 may have been his last hurrah.

kronus12
01-23-2011, 11:24 PM
True enough. Andy Roddick has basically been a "top 10 player" for most of his career. It isn't really fair to describe him and Roger Federer being rivals because Roger has simply had a better career - period. If Andy can keep performing as a top 10 player then I see no problem with his sticking around for many years if he cares to. Roger, on the other hand, should get while the getting is good. He missed 3 straight slam finals. If he misses a 4th he'd better ask himself what his continued play may be doing to the Federer legacy.

Its obvious to me you haven't a clue about tennis, a guy with the best record on the atp tour since the Usopen should consider to get out, how about you get lost and go on the wta forum clown I think they appreciate your useless posts on their site.

samjones
01-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Its obvious to me you haven't a clue about tennis, a guy with the best record on the atp tour since the Usopen should consider to get out, how about you get lost and go on the wta forum clown I think they appreciate your useless posts on their site.

He's second-best.... and fighting for that. If Roger can't make the finals of this one then that's 4 straight. Is that the Federer that comes to mind? The one who can't make a slam final?

Action Jackson
01-24-2011, 12:33 AM
The OP should retire from starting threads and this comes from a staunch Roddick hater.

River
01-24-2011, 12:36 AM
He's second-best.... and fighting for that. If Roger can't make the finals of this one then that's 4 straight. Is that the Federer that comes to mind? The one who can't make a slam final?

I wouldn't mind seeing Roger stick around even when he can't win a grand slam anymore. But in reality, I think that when the situation for Roger becomes very apparent that he can't win anymore, he should just retire on a high note. He's done so much for the game.

I still don't like him xP but I have to respect the man for everything.

Roger isn't Andy, either. Roger has always been expected to be nothing short of a semifinalist for every grand slam. Unfortunately for Roger, if he slips before making a semi, it's 10000x more noticeable than Andy and practically everyone else not named Rafael Nadal.

samjones
01-24-2011, 12:44 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Roger stick around even when he can't win a grand slam anymore. But in reality, I think that when the situation for Roger becomes very apparent that he can't win anymore, he should just retire on a high note. He's done so much for the game.

Fair enough - but if he hangs around until the end of '12 cuz he wants to play in another Olympics and if he can't win any Majors in that time would you consider that "ending on a high note"?

I wouldn't.

bobbynorwich
01-24-2011, 01:00 AM
Maybe he should retire but I hope not, it's way too much fun watching this A-hole regularly implode and be such a fool on the court. Besides, when he does, he'll probably become a tv commentator and then we'll have to listen to his self-absorped snarky diatribes for years to come, which will be much worse than just enduring his horrid play.

:rolleyes:

samjones
01-24-2011, 01:12 AM
Maybe he should retire but I hope not, it's way too much fun watching this A-hole regularly implode and be such a fool on the court. Besides, when he does, he'll probably become a tv commentator and then we'll have to listen to his self-absorped snarky diatribes for years to come, which will be much worse than just enduring his horrid play.

You could be talking about Johnny Mac. Bottom-line, Andy is a great TV personality. He's funny to listen to - he's engaged - he's clever. You will be listening to him for years to come. Can't be worse than Justin Gimmelstob.

GrosjeantheGreat
01-24-2011, 01:33 AM
Good riddance!
I'm sensing anger.

stzenit
01-24-2011, 02:09 AM
If he still loves the sport who are we to tell him to retire? Still a top 10 player, i may dislike his game and his attitude but If he still believes he has a shot at being consistently in the top 10 for another year or two and enjoys playing I don't see why he should retire. Of course it will put him out of his misery of believing he has a shot at winning another slam.

Dmitry Verdasco
01-24-2011, 02:51 AM
Good riddance!

:spit::bowdown:

tests
01-24-2011, 03:02 AM
i think roddick should be like this: "FUCK IT, im going for broke on every match and tourney from here onnwards," and see how he performs. if he ends up getting *****, retire.

coonster14
01-24-2011, 03:58 AM
I don't like Roddick much due to his childish rants with the umpire, disrespecting linesmen and ballkids on-court, but I think he is quite an entertaining personality off-court, he would make a good commentator (like Lleyton Hewitt).

Let him retire when he wants to. At the moment, his game isn't posing any threat to the top boys.

jrollaneres25
01-24-2011, 06:43 AM
If he doesn't start coming in on that huge serve and get better volleys, then his career is as good as dead...as far as winning majors. But he still can pocket money in the bank on his game:)

Naina
01-24-2011, 06:47 AM
He should retire only if all of the players who haven't done better than Round four of the slams do. He is a good player consistently in the top ten. he has no reason to quit :shrug:

pogotheorist
01-24-2011, 07:04 AM
Andy can't quit. Brooklyn is better looking and has a higher IQ. Andy can't afford to be the older balding guy who hangs around the apartment.

OnyxRose
01-24-2011, 02:14 PM
These threads need to stop being posted. Andy wants to play Olympics in 2012 since it's in London. If he's going to retire, it won't be until after that year.

Polikarpov
01-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Yes, he should retire from ATP, then join WTA. He could finally win Wimbledon, provided of course that he doesn't lose to Wozniacki.

Roger the Dodger
01-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Andy could learn a few tricks from Raonic on when to approach the net, that's for sure.

bobbynorwich
03-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Andy can't quit. Brooklyn is better looking and has a higher IQ. Andy can't afford to be the older balding guy who hangs around the apartment.

:haha::haha::haha:

NadalYoung
03-27-2011, 11:53 PM
After he wins Wimbledon 2011

nsidhan
03-27-2011, 11:55 PM
If he has to retire then everyone ranked 15 and below should retire as well.

juan27
03-27-2011, 11:55 PM
roddick still many years in top-10 and his peak past....he was nº1, won gs, won davis cup, many tournaments, many gs finals and still figths and win titles.

if roddick should retire , mugray much more!!!

23 years old, peak age and loses with mugs and with scenic panic in gs finals.

Sonja1989
03-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Of course no.

Dmitry Verdasco
03-28-2011, 12:00 AM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/22/Chuck_Norris_Approves.gif

Sunset of Age
03-28-2011, 12:01 AM
If he has to retire then everyone ranked 15 and below should retire as well.

This.

The only folks calling out for a retirement of a player in the - unavoidable - Autumn of said player's career are the fair weather-fans. It should be noticed that Roddick is still doing very well in comparison to many of his contemporaries, who either have already retired (Moya, Safin) or are on the brink of doing so (Hewitt, Haas).

To the folks laughing about his - or any other 'older' player's - decline, do keep in mind that some day, the same will happen to your favourite.

Snowwy
03-28-2011, 12:08 AM
This.

The only folks calling out for a retirement of a player in the - unavoidable - Autumn of said player's career are the fair weather-fans. It should be noticed that Roddick is still doing very well in comparison to many of his contemporaries, who either have already retired (Moya, Safin) or are on the brink of doing so (Hewitt, Haas).

To the folks laughing about his - or any other 'older' player's - decline, do keep in mind that some day, the same will happen to your favourite.

They will have new favorite's by then. Their new favorites will be ranked #1 or #2.

bobbynorwich
03-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Brooklyn can pose in skimpy outfits for one week and make as much as Andy does in a year. No wonder he's lost his mo-jo.

:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

partygirl
03-28-2011, 12:10 AM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/22/Chuck_Norris_Approves.gif

Chuck Norris is a piece of shit with a bad facelift.

Topspindoctor
03-28-2011, 12:11 AM
After he wins Wimbledon 2011

Monoduck has as much chance to win W2011 as Sampras coming out of retirement and winning RG without dropping a set.

dombrfc
03-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Monoduck has as much chance to win W2011 as Sampras coming out of retirement and winning RG without dropping a set.

It's true

shiaben
03-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Andy is way past his prime. Keeps changing his game. Too inconsistent. Mentally retarded. Has anger and emotional problems. At one point took advice from the likes of Jimmy Connors and his dumbass brother (two no no's right there).

Let me cut it short. The guy could have won 4-5 slams rather easily in two case scenarios. Had Federer been absent, but even with Federer's presence, he still could have probably had several slams.

He was doing fine when he was with Brad Gilbert. If he kept the Brad Gilbert form (which included a strong forehand), if he kept his deadly serve (which he did through most of his career), if his backhand was consistent (the only time it was very solid and workable down the line, was during Wimbledon 2009), and had he had an above average return game (the only thing in his entire career he lacked), he would have had 4-5 slams.

But he has only himself to blame. With that said, retirement should be considered. If you get thrashed by Wawrinka like that, make Tipsarevic look like God, and can't defeat he basic mid-tier players. Why bother staying?

I still can't believe he lost to Lu. At least Tipsarevic and Wawrinka have solid all around games when they are not in mug mode.

But losing to Lu???? Wtf is that about? Especially on grass.........is just disgusting. That right there is deserving of retirement.

No Roddick, no Nalbandian, no Davydenko. Get rid of these three guys via retirement, and bring three legitimate players to replace them to make the ATP more competitive.

star
03-28-2011, 12:48 AM
I suspect that next year may be Andy's last year on tour.

tennis elbow
03-28-2011, 01:41 AM
The guy could have won 4-5 slams rather easily in two case scenarios. (...), but even with Federer's presence, he still could have probably had several slams.
No

He was doping fine when he was with Brad Gilbert.
Yes

If he kept the Brad Gilbert form (which included a strong forehand), if he kept his deadly serve (which he did through most of his career), if his backhand was consistent (the only time it was very solid and workable down the line, was during Wimbledon 2009), and had he had an above average return game (the only thing in his entire career he lacked), he would have had 4-5 slams.
Maybe

Johnny Groove
03-28-2011, 01:45 AM

You are in a good mood, aren't you?

rocketassist
03-28-2011, 01:47 AM
Andy is way past his prime. Keeps changing his game. Too inconsistent. Mentally retarded. Has anger and emotional problems. At one point took advice from the likes of Jimmy Connors and his dumbass brother (two no no's right there).

Let me cut it short. The guy could have won 4-5 slams rather easily in two case scenarios. Had Federer been absent, but even with Federer's presence, he still could have probably had several slams.

He was doing fine when he was with Brad Gilbert. If he kept the Brad Gilbert form (which included a strong forehand), if he kept his deadly serve (which he did through most of his career), if his backhand was consistent (the only time it was very solid and workable down the line, was during Wimbledon 2009), and had he had an above average return game (the only thing in his entire career he lacked), he would have had 4-5 slams.

But he has only himself to blame. With that said, retirement should be considered. If you get thrashed by Wawrinka like that, make Tipsarevic look like God, and can't defeat he basic mid-tier players. Why bother staying?

I still can't believe he lost to Lu. At least Tipsarevic and Wawrinka have solid all around games when they are not in mug mode.

But losing to Lu???? Wtf is that about? Especially on grass.........is just disgusting. That right there is deserving of retirement.

No Roddick, no Nalbandian, no Davydenko. Get rid of these three guys via retirement, and bring three legitimate players to replace them to make the ATP more competitive.

And what legitimate players around besides the top three are more consistent/have better games than those three? :lol:

juan27
03-28-2011, 02:56 AM

I stay with the roddicks,nalbandians and davydenkos.

I prefer this players and not verdascos,berdychs,melzers,etc......

roddick: nº1, gs, many finals in gs, davis cup, many tournaments and years top-10,etc..

nalbandian: 1 masters cup, final in wimbledon,semis in all grand slams,2 masters series and a beatiful tennis, good record against nadal and roger

davydenko: 1 masters cup, h2h positive with nadal, couples masters1000 tournaments, davis cup, many slams semis,etc....

River
03-28-2011, 03:46 AM
Anyone who is currently in the top 20 shouldn't even think of retirement.

Dmitry Verdasco
03-28-2011, 10:11 AM

You are :rolleyes:

LawrenceOfTennis
03-28-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm sick and tired of these threads. Why members here start threads about retirements after a couple of bad tournaments? He actually played two finals this year already, won one of them. Why should he retire? He still has chances at Wimbledon I guess, but if not there, then there are plenty of tournaments which he can bag.

abraxas21
03-28-2011, 02:55 PM
he shouldnt. roddick will pull an ivanisevic in wimby

Santorofan
03-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Yes, if he retires now at least he will retain his winning head-to-head over Djokovic..otherwise it won't last long :)

bhathiya9999
03-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Still he is good but not like previous.

Silver.
03-28-2011, 04:46 PM
he shouldnt. roddick will pull an ivanisevic in wimby

You don't know how much I want this to happen, seriously.

Sanya
03-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Roddick is good enough to win tournaments like Memphis even now. There is no real reason for such discussion.

Bubble99
03-28-2011, 05:02 PM
He doesn't need to retire he just needs to go for broke like the good old days of 2003-04, his improved fitness and movement will allow him to for broke like 2003. He showed he can still do it against Nadal in Miami last year, Cilic in Australia last year and against Gasquet in the second set in Indian Wells.

He needs to fire Stefanki ASAP