Tomic embarrassed Nadal says Laver [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tomic embarrassed Nadal says Laver

Lleyton_
01-23-2011, 08:04 AM
AUSTRALIA tennis greats have praised the efforts of Bernard Tomic at the season's opening grand slam with Rod Laver saying the 18-year-old had "embarrassed" Rafael Nadal in their third-round clash.

Two-time junior grand slam champion Tomic pushed the world No.1 over three sets at the Australian Open on Saturday night, even going to a 4-0 lead in the second set.

It prompted some kind words from Laver and Roy Emerson at the G'Day USA Ball in Los Angeles.

"At 18 he's really showing a lot of class," Laver said.

"I watched him play Nadal and he showed some good form all the way through.

"He wasn't embarrassed playing Nadal and I think Nadal was a little embarrassed with what Tomic had done to him."

Emerson said the world No.199 had the potential to be among the top players on the tour.

"Nadal seemed to be a little worried particularly in the second set with the change of pace that young Bernard was doing and it was upsetting the rhythm of Nadal," Emerson said.

"I think he has a great future and if he keeps in shape I can't see why he can't get in the top 10 in a couple of years."

Meanwhile Emerson joined Laver in talking down the importance of Rafael Nadal's bid for a non-calendar grand slam.

A win at Melbourne Park would see the Spaniard holding the four major titles at the same time in what pundits are dubbing the `Rafa slam'.

But Emerson said Nadal must win the Australian, French, Wimbledon and the US titles in a calendar year for it to rate as a true grand slam.

Laver won calendar year grand slams in 1962 and 1969 and has been vocal about Nadal's need to hold the four majors in the same year.

Another retired tennis great, Andre Agassi, presented Emerson with his award at the G'Day Ball and took a less hardline approach.

Agassi was full of praise for Nadal's ability to be close to claiming the four majors at the same time.

"To own all of them is quite an amazing accomplishment," the American said.

"To get them all in the same year is slightly more amazing. I don't know how you want to call it, but what he is doing is incredible."

finn98
01-23-2011, 08:18 AM
So...No mention of Nadal's clown first serve %....huh...Grandpa laver indeed has a tough time to be objective when it comes to Nadal :rolleyes:

nadal_slam_king
01-23-2011, 08:20 AM
This Laver guy is good fun :yeah: he should come to the AO Final ceremony again so we can enjoy him some more :yeah:

Alex999
01-23-2011, 08:23 AM
this is going to be another entertaining thread :cool:

Pirata.
01-23-2011, 08:28 AM
This thread should be fun.

http://www.xpute.com/wg/chris/mj-popcorn.gif

Boston Crab
01-23-2011, 08:32 AM
Wow, what a stupid headline. No where did Laver say "Tomic embarrassed Nadal" - he said that Nadal was a little bit embarrassed. Huge difference, and of course he was. He was down a double break and being outplayed by an 18-year old and you'd probably be worried if a World No. 1 wasn't feeling a bit embarrassed by their performance in that situation.

paseo
01-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Right. Winning the set from 0-4 down is an embarrassment. Losing it from 4-0 up OTH, is 'good form all the way through'.

Come on Grandpa Rod, I know Tomic is your countryman, but do you really believe that?

Pirata.
01-23-2011, 08:33 AM
If Tomic embarrassed Nadal, what did Nadal do to top players at 18? :sport:

Depends on what Tomic accomplishes in his career, imo. Nadal is extremely talented and was winning slams and beating the then world #1 as a teenager. It wasn't embarrassing for the players he beat per se, because Rafa was obviously no fluke teen wonder, but actually a top class player, which he's shown in the past couple years. I'd say it's more embarrassing to be pushed by Tomic if he ends up being another Donald Young, hyped up young player who has a couple big wins but never makes a major impact on the tour. However, if Tomic makes the leap in the next year and becomes a top ten player and starts winning, or at least actively challenging for slams, then it won't be so embarrassing.

Mike473
01-23-2011, 08:34 AM
Winning all 4 majors in a row would be an amazing accomplishment in any era. Because there are a number of ways you can complete the non calender version, it does make it slightly easier than having to win them all in the same calendar year. However, its level of difficulty is still unquestionable. In the Mens game, the non calendar year Slam has proven to be every bit as rare as the calendar slam. And, Nadal has a long way to go in this event to get it. 15 years ago, I wondered if anyone would again be able to win all 4 slams in a career. Now, we have a player going for 4 in a row, career grand slams completions for 2 players within a couple years of eachother, and a player perhaps challenging for 20 slams before all is said and done. Amazing time to be watching tennis.

The Magician
01-23-2011, 08:34 AM
Everyone knows anyone with tennis knowledge and appreciation for history knows Nadull is an anomaly and a shame for the past greats of the game, but it;s still nice to get undeniable proof from the GOATS :worship:

amaze
01-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Mini slam candidate was embarrassed by a kid. Yay, Laver.:yeah:

Say Hey Kid
01-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Not a Nadal lover by any means, but is Rod Laver going senile? How did Tomic embaraass Nadal one bit? First off, Tomic got to the third round. Yes Chardy was atrocious and Lopez was poor, but the kid obviously has some potential and is already playing fairly well.

To suggest that Tomic "embarassed" Nadal after losing in straight sets says more about how poorly he thinks Tomic is currently. What did he expect 6-0, 6-1, 6-0?

scarecrows
01-23-2011, 08:38 AM
:lol:

Nadal was playing in clown mode and still won in 3

Smoke944
01-23-2011, 08:41 AM

This.

FedFan
01-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Nadals game was not embarrassing, more the fact that he played mind games with the 18 year old, letting him wait a long time before the match.

Foxy
01-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Laver has never been a great player. Now he is trying to claw some attention to him.

Lleyton_
01-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Laver has never been a great player. Now he is trying to claw some attention to him.

:worship:

KarlyM
01-23-2011, 08:55 AM
I take these comments as seriously as I would any other GS champ hyping up their country's "golden boy" - NOT AT ALL!!! :p :lol:

solowyn
01-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Now you're trying too hard.

moon language
01-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Laver is getting quite a lesson in what little the modern media needs to take off and run with this year. He'll probably start choosing his words more carefully.

Pirata.
01-23-2011, 09:13 AM

:o

Criticize what he says all you want, but don't even start with this bullshit.

Foxy
01-23-2011, 09:21 AM
:o

Criticize what he says all you want, but don't even start with this bullshit.

Truth hurts, mate!

born_on_clay
01-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Laver is a moron. He is so scared of Rafa Slam which nowadays would be bigger achievement :)

acionescu
01-23-2011, 09:26 AM
AUSTRALIA tennis greats have praised the efforts of Bernard Tomic at the season's opening grand slam with Rod Laver saying the 18-year-old had "embarrassed" Rafael Nadal in their third-round clash.

Two-time junior grand slam champion Tomic pushed the world No.1 over three sets at the Australian Open on Saturday night, even going to a 4-0 lead in the second set.

It prompted some kind words from Laver and Roy Emerson at the G'Day USA Ball in Los Angeles.

"At 18 he's really showing a lot of class," Laver said.

"I watched him play Nadal and he showed some good form all the way through.

"He wasn't embarrassed playing Nadal and I think Nadal was a little embarrassed with what Tomic had done to him."

At 72 you show none, Mr. Laver :)

Commander Data
01-23-2011, 09:36 AM

Laver slowly getting senile.

Blackbriar
01-23-2011, 09:56 AM
i think Laver could still beat Tomic, because the boy is so bad. Aussies: dont expect this guy to be your Nadal.

jrm
01-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Australia has no up and coming players - naturally they are all hanging on this prick

Pirao666
01-23-2011, 10:36 AM
It's obvious Laver dislikes Nadal for some reason, what a bitter old man. Lol, Dimitrov played Rafa 2 years ago and at least he took a set off Rafa, unlike Tomic :lol:

GSMnadal
01-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Someone is a little worried it seems, trying to play dirty little mind games.

A_Skywalker
01-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Everyone knows anyone with tennis knowledge and appreciation for history knows Nadull is an anomaly and a shame for the past greats of the game, but it;s still nice to get undeniable proof from the GOATS :worship:

:lol: Keep on posting, its getting funny.

scoobs
01-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Oh honestly - it's sad to see a legend like Laver jumping on the bandwagon of silly commentary from past champions.

Embarrassed? Because he went 0-4 down (yet still won the set and won the match in straight sets)? Really?

I realise the Aussies are in a lean period and are clinging to any signs of hope for the future, but let's get a grip shall we. At worst it was a lapse that he recovered from anyway. Embarrassed is going down 2 easy sets to the guy.

HarryMan
01-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Saying Tomic embarassed Nadal is different from saying, what Laver ACTUALLY did, "Nadal was a little embarrassed with what Tomic had done to him", referring to the 4-0 in the second set.

How many players have recently done that to Nadal in a slam? When a youngster, who happens to be a wild card, in slam event, does that to the best player in the world, it looks slightly embarassing for the player (not because that was pathetic but because of the standards set by that particular player in question).

Perhaps Laver should have worded it differently but I am pretty sure that's what he means.

scoobs
01-23-2011, 10:56 AM
I still think saying "a little embarrassed" is pushing the sentiment a bit.

Tomic should be embarrassed he was a double break up and still lost the set.

HarryMan
01-23-2011, 11:03 AM
I still think saying "a little embarrassed" is pushing the sentiment a bit.

Tomic should be embarrassed he was a double break up and still lost the set.

I understand that and I not suggesting that Laver didn't commit any error while saying this. I just think he worded it incorrectly. He is happy to see a young Aussie take it to the world's best player and therefore perhaps was overjoyed while commenting on this. I am pretty sure he respects Nadal for all of his achievements and isn't taking it personally (as some seem to be suggesting in this thread) about a potential Rafa slam.

Gung Ho Tennis
01-23-2011, 11:17 AM
I think Nadal has much respect for his opponents, and he takes each and every one of them seriously. He probably didn't feel embarrased about the score at all. :cool:

syc23
01-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Yesterday's match was never in doubt. A 100% strong / healthy Rafa would not have resulted in an early 0-4 in the 2nd set. Bernard won't be winning any slams at 19 like Nadal that's for sure.

Dougie
01-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Laver is surprisingly vocal these days, it seems like heīll say anything to downplay the importance of Rafaīs accomplishent, if he wins the AO. I realise this is just a comment that can be interpreted in many ways, but there is a certain bitter tone about Laverīs interview at the moment.

I wouldnīt praise Tomicīs effort too much. Heīs a young guy who has a bright future, but the fact is he lost 3-0, itīs as simple as that. Both Federer and Nadal are smart enough to play well enough to win, but not too well. They donīt waste energy or risk injuries by going flat out against a guy like Tomic, when the winner is never in doubt. To them, it doensīt matter if itīs 6-0, 6-2, 6-1 or 6-2, 7-5, 6-3, so the scoreline doesnīt really say that much. Rafa might have been a little sloppy in the second, but turned it around and got the job done, thatīs it.

Start da Game
01-23-2011, 11:27 AM
it looks like tiny rocket rod laver is going to be embarrassed when handing that trophy to nadal next sunday.......

Zagor
01-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Laver is the GOAT.

tennisgolfguru
01-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Laver is surprisingly vocal these days, it seems like heīll say anything to downplay the importance of Rafaīs accomplishent, if he wins the AO. I realise this is just a comment that can be interpreted in many ways, but there is a certain bitter tone about Laverīs interview at the moment.

I wouldnīt praise Tomicīs effort too much. Heīs a young guy who has a bright future, but the fact is he lost 3-0, itīs as simple as that. Both Federer and Nadal are smart enough to play well enough to win, but not too well. They donīt waste energy or risk injuries by going flat out against a guy like Tomic, when the winner is never in doubt. To them, it doensīt matter if itīs 6-0, 6-2, 6-1 or 6-2, 7-5, 6-3, so the scoreline doesnīt really say that much. Rafa might have been a little sloppy in the second, but turned it around and got the job done, thatīs it.

plus1 -

Start da Game
01-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Laver is the GOAT.

greediest of all time.......

Foxy
01-23-2011, 11:48 AM

What an ugly, stupid old man this Graver is!

FormerRafaFan
01-23-2011, 11:53 AM
This thread is stupid. Nadal played like a clown that match, no way in hell it would be this close if Nadal played on his normal, high level. Secondly, Nadal still hasn't recovered from the fever/flu he had. He still has the virus in his body, which is why he sweats so much.

Tomic would be CRUSHED by Nadal, winning two games combined if Rafa was 100 % healthy and in his best form.

Start da Game
01-23-2011, 11:54 AM
What an ugly, stupid old man this Graver is!

sure is, i held great respect for this clown........you know why he kept quiet when federina was winning in all those past years? he knew federina had a huge universally recognized hole in his resume to challenge his GOAT status.......

when he realized that there are no such holes in nadal's resume plus nadal is a 3 times davis cup winner, olympic singles gold winner, non CYGS on 3 distinctly different surfaces, he is showing us the true colours.......

never thought rocket boy was this bitter........

MariaV
01-23-2011, 11:58 AM
This Laver guy is good fun :yeah: he should come to the AO Final ceremony again so we can enjoy him some more :yeah:

... so that Federina can cry on his shoulder again after defeat. :)

Zagor
01-23-2011, 12:04 PM

Nope,but he is the greatest player of all time though,no question about it.

Aenea
01-23-2011, 12:14 PM

How many Laver's matches have you watched? Or you just have read he completed 2 calendar GS like 60 years ago? What was tennis in that time, whom did the champions play back then, on what surfaces, how was the competition etc? Following blindly "Laver is the GOAT since he has completed 2 GS" (in when? the 60's of the past century) is so stupid IMO.

FlameOn
01-23-2011, 12:16 PM

This. If Nadal actually played well, the match would've been over like that.

rocketassist
01-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Laver :worship: keep pissing off these touchy Rafatards

Langers
01-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Absolute gutter headline.

:rolleyes:

Topspindoctor
01-23-2011, 12:27 PM
What exactly did Tomug do to Nadal except blow a 2 break lead in the second set? I saw no emarrassment. Laver is either going senile or trying to be an attention whore :rolleyes:

Echoes
01-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Laver is a moron. He is so scared of Rafa Slam which nowadays would be bigger achievement :)

Rocket's biggest achievement happened in 1971.

How many Laver's matches have you watched?

Personally, several on YT

What was tennis in that time, whom did the champions play back then, on what surfaces, how was the competition etc?

A great game with wooden rackets, they played other champions, on different kinds of grass, true clay, hard courts, indoor wood and carpet, tough and international competition. :wavey:

Following blindly "Laver is the GOAT since he has completed 2 GS" (in when? the 60's of the past century) is so stupid IMO.

Stupid because only the 1969 is significant as anyone knows !

Deprive me of one doubt, trailing 0-4 is not embarrassing?

Castafiore
01-23-2011, 12:44 PM
trailing 0-4 is not embarrassing?
No. :shrug: Using the word "embarrassing" for this is an exaggeration IMO.

He still won in straight sets, don't you think that calling it embarrassing is a bit much?

prafull
01-23-2011, 01:28 PM
These Grandpas don't know that even if Nadal can't complete the RAFA SLAM this year he will remain favorite to complete REAL GRAND SLAM for atleast next three years i.e. 2012, 2013 & 2014.

JayR
01-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Rocket's biggest achievement happened in 1971.

Personally, several on YT

A great game with wooden rackets, they played other champions, on different kinds of grass, true clay, hard courts, indoor wood and carpet, tough and international competition. :wavey:

Stupid because only the 1969 is significant as anyone knows !

Deprive me of one doubt, trailing 0-4 is not embarrassing?

Good post.

Blackbriar
01-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Tomic embarrassed the australians because they realized it will take years before any australian raise a grand slam trophy.

Tomic = Dimitrov = Berankis = Raonic = overrated good players but not champions

JayR
01-23-2011, 02:19 PM

Without wishing to extend the utterly boring Fedal flan flinging any further(no axe to grind with either party). Had this been Federer, we'd've had 25 pages saying he should retire and Rod Laver would be praised to the skies for his wisdom and acuity.

Kiedis
01-23-2011, 02:19 PM
It seems that Grandpa is shitting his pants. Nadal is jeopardizing his precious...

Don't get mad, Grandpa! It's very bad for your health!

samjones
01-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Today I know that Rafa will be hanging his head in shame at the thrashing delivered to him by that young man sitting in the stands watching him play.

Blackbriar
01-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Today I know that Rafa will be hanging his head in shame at the thrashing delivered to him by that young man sitting in the stands watching him play.

yep, he looked desperate at the end of the match. It's a miracle he won, and in 3, without tie-break.

tennizen
01-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Good trolling from Laver:lol:

Theef
01-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Laver really doesn't want Rafa to complete the Rafa slam does he? There seems to be a bitter undertone to his comments about Rafa, and suddenly he has plenty to say on the subject. Would have thought this sort of behaviour is beneath a so-called legend like him but apparently even legends have huge egos/legacies to protect. :rolleyes:

Dmitry Verdasco
01-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Laver is so pressed :lol: You just know he's scared shitless that Rafa is going to rewrite every record he has :bowdown: He's coming for Nadal's wig every chance he gets!

tennizen
01-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Laver really doesn't want Rafa to complete the Rafa slam does he? There seems to be a bitter undertone to his comments about Rafa, and suddenly he has plenty to say on the subject. Would have thought this sort of behaviour is beneath a so-called legend like him but apparently even legends have huge egos/legacies to protect. :rolleyes:

Even legends? :lol:

Lopez
01-23-2011, 03:01 PM
How many Laver's matches have you watched? Or you just have read he completed 2 calendar GS like 60 years ago? What was tennis in that time, whom did the champions play back then, on what surfaces, how was the competition etc? Following blindly "Laver is the GOAT since he has completed 2 GS" (in when? the 60's of the past century) is so stupid IMO.

You can actually check out a lot of clips of him playing on youtube, as well as read up on him on the Internet and elsewhere (his autobiography is quite funny, a good read).

He was definitely one of the greats, maybe even GOAT. But you are underestimating the people that claim him to be so; just because you might not have a lot of insight on him, his opponents and his era, doesn't mean that other people would not have.

Aenea
01-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Why people who I haven't quoted or asked anything are actually quoting me and replying? I asked a certain poster and he didn't reply. What is your business in all this? I haven't questioned either Echoes' or Lopez's affection for Laver I know Echoes’ opinion on the matter as we discussed that some time back. So my question was directed to that certain poster alone and I wanted to know his opinion on this.
If you think watching a couple of matches on youtube typed in the 60s of the last century is enough for you to bow down to that man it is OK with me. It is not enough for me and I cannot say Laver is the GOAT and I don't understand why I should be attacked, insulted etc only because of that? I don't think there is anything like a GOAT. There are great players each of his own era and that is all. I don't think Federer is less great than Laver. Neither is Nadal for that matter accomplishing a very hard and rare to accomplish career GS at his age. Some years later maybe there will be another great tennis player who will win another 15 GS and will be the greatest of his time.
If you understand what I am saying, good. If you don't, sorry I cannot say it in any better way.

Kiedis
01-23-2011, 03:31 PM
If you think watching a couple of matches on youtube typed in the 60s of the last century is enough for you to bow down to that man it is OK with me. It is not enough for me and I cannot say Laver is the GOAT and I don't understand why I should be attacked, insulted etc only because of that? I don't think there is anything like a GOAT. There are great players each of his own era and that is all.

+1. This GOAT nonsense is a typical symptom of acute fedtarditis.

Lopez
01-23-2011, 03:33 PM
Why people who I haven't quoted or asked anything are actually quoting me and replying? I asked a certain poster and he didn't reply. What is your business in all this? I haven't questioned either Echoes' or Lopez's affection for Laver I know Echoes’ opinion on the matter as we discussed that some time back. So my question was directed to that certain poster alone and I wanted to know his opinion on this.
If you think watching a couple of matches on youtube typed in the 60s of the last century is enough for you to bow down to that man it is OK with me. It is not enough for me and I cannot say Laver is the GOAT and I don't understand why I should be attacked, insulted etc only because of that? I don't think there is anything like a GOAT. There are great players each of his own era and that is all. I don't think Federer is less great than Laver. Neither is Nadal for that matter accomplishing a very hard and rare to accomplish career GS at his age. Some years later maybe there will be another great tennis player who will win another 15 GS and will be the greatest of his time.
If you understand what I am saying, good. If you don't, sorry I cannot say it in any better way.

Sorry to have misunderstood. I was replying on a general level, that's all. Didn't realize you were looking for specifically his/her opinion :). I hardly think I insulted or attacked you :confused:. Sorry if you felt that way.

If you are interested in players of the past, finding out isn't that difficult, that's all I'm saying really. And their achievements should not be forgotten nor downgraded simply because one hasn't seen them play. This is not directed at you specifically but the argument that you have used, don't take it personally :).

Yukimura
01-23-2011, 03:37 PM
If Nadal wins the AO, Federer won't be the one crying XD

Aenea
01-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Sorry to have misunderstood. I was replying on a general level, that's all. Didn't realize you were looking for specifically his/her opinion :). I hardly think I insulted or attacked you :confused:. Sorry if you felt that way.

If you are interested in players of the past, finding out isn't that difficult, that's all I'm saying really. And their achievements should not be forgotten nor downgraded simply because one hasn't seen them play. This is not directed at you specifically but the argument that you have used, don't take it personally :).

I have asked that particular poster because I know many are just following the motto "He has completed 2 GS so he must be the GOAT" without knowing anything else about Laver. They have never watched him play and they know nothing more about him.

I have also watched some matches but that was not enough to get the impression of any exceptional greatness not anything not seen in other players anyway.

The Magician
01-23-2011, 03:47 PM
If anyone sane was wondering how Nadulltards can sit by while the game of tennis is destroyed and even cheer it on, this thread is the answer. Not only do Nadulltards not have any respect for the greats of the game and the history of the sport, they actually think any sort of historical perspective is a direct attack on Nadull as a person. They couldn't care less about the sport, for them Nadull is a personal god which has nothing to do with tennis.

Laver, the GOAT and intelligent, genuine guy is now the enemy because he said something sensible, ignoring the fact that without him the sport wouldn't even exist and his accomplishments dwarf anything Nadull will ever accomplish. As I've said before, it's an obsession with the man, and an attack on Nadull is an attack on the Nadulltard.

thrust
01-23-2011, 03:51 PM

This statement is even more stupid than Laver's. Nadal, not playing his best, won the match in 3 sets. Had he lost the match, one could say he had been emabrrassed. Tomic played very well, and I hope he gets even better but to say he embarrassed Nadal is silly. I would expect such a statement from the die hard Federer fans here, but not from Laver. Somehow, I do not think Rod meant to imply that Nadal was embarrassed, just a poor choice of word on the spur of the moment.

Castafiore
01-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Without wishing to extend the utterly boring Fedal flan flinging any further(no axe to grind with either party). Had this been Federer, we'd've had 25 pages saying he should retire and Rod Laver would be praised to the skies for his wisdom and acuity.
Meaning that some who call Laver a fool now would praise him if the shoe was on the other foot and vice versa?

I still would have found it exaggerated if it had been about Federer having gone 0-4 down against a young upcoming player and having come back to beat the guy in straights with due respect to Laver's own accomplishments. :shrug:

Making it another :zzz: fedal thing doesn't change that I'd find it over the top. :shrug: My guess is that Laver is excited to see an Aussie boy perform so well and he's let his enthusiasm get a bit in the way.

ŦIvanŧ
01-23-2011, 04:07 PM
bs of the 2011 so far.what laver knows considering he was IN half a century ago.retire man,go to florida 'n play chess.

my,even older players could be idiots.being great tennis player in ancient australia doesn't mean you know.go home,cover your head with blanket.what a crap.i don't know what he expected?rafa is not god,rafa could play like in training,rafa can be injured,rafa could be just rafa,one humble 'n nice gye 'n rafa could be the tennis monster just like he is.giving 100% against ex yu peasant looking gye is unacceptable for such a greatness.

magitian,stfu.ban yourself.

laver knows?some players 'n especially some ex players shoud close their mouth foreBer.

Echoes
01-23-2011, 04:21 PM
He still won in straight sets, don't you think that calling it embarrassing is a bit much?

Might be a question of semantics.

I haven't seen the game but I know that the final outcome of a match isn't necessarily a good reflection of how it went on.

He, as #1, lost his service game twice against a teen, in a second set and didn't break back immediately. He was in trouble for a moment.

Edit: Point of order: Here's what Laver exactly said (mentioned in the OP):

And Roy Emerson:
"Nadal seemed to be a little worried particularly in the second set with the change of pace that young Bernard was doing and it was upsetting the rhythm of Nadal,"

I have asked that particular poster because I know many are just following the motto "He has completed 2 GS so he must be the GOAT" without knowing anything else about Laver. They have never watched him play and they know nothing more about him.

If anything, what made me bounce in your post was the "on what surface" matter, the usual suggestion, he only played on grass. I don't need to have watched him play live to argue that that's completely wrong. Wimbledon and Forest Hills' grass were different kinds of grass. Forest Hills was some kind of a football pitch. Australian grass was different as well. And Laver played on carpet and on wood, no longer played on, nowadays, and won Grand Slam-like events on hard court (such as Jo'burg '69).

Completing two GS doesn't mean anything. In 1962, the likes of Gonzales, Hoad and Rosewall were kept from Grand Slams. Only the 1969 one was a huge performance.
However, in 1971, Laver won 13 straight winner-take-all matches at the Tennis Champions Classic, OK it was in 2.5 months, but all against top players. Some kind of a double GS tournament win in a span of 2.5 months and against top players, and in different venues. That's his most breathtaking performance, which will never be matched.

1/2 New York: Rosewall 6-3,6-4,7-5.
1/10 Rochester: Newcombe 6-4,6-2,4-6,5-7,6-4.
1/13 Boston: Roche 7-5,4-6,3-6,7-5,6-1.
1/17 Philadelphia: Emerson, 6-2,6-3,7-5.
1/21 New York: Ashe 7-5,6-4,7-5.
1/23 Detroit: Okker 5-7,5-7,6-2,6-2,6-2.
1/28 New York: Ashe 3-6,6-3,6-3,6-4.
2/4 Inglewood: Taylor 6-3,7-5,6-2.
2/6 New York: Okker 6-1,6-4,6-3.
2/17 New York: Ralston 3-6,6-1,6-4,6-3.
2/19 New Haven: Emerson 6-3,5-7,6-3,3-6,6-3.

3/18 Semifinals, New York:
Laver-Ralston 6-3,6-4,7-5.
Okker-Emerson 6-4,2-6,4.6,6-3,6-4.

3/19 Final, New York:
Laver-Okker 7-5,6-2,6-1.

fsoica
01-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Laver would never phrase an idea the way the OP put it in the thread title.

he is just too much of a gentleman to do that.

only for this and the thread should have been deleted and the OP banned for at least a day.

and yes, i think rod it's right, rafael felt a bit embarassed by the 0-4 lead bernard took early in the second...

Kiedis
01-23-2011, 04:30 PM

and yes, i think rod it's right, rafael felt a bit embarassed by the 0-4 lead bernard took early in the second...

:confused: WTF???

fsoica
01-23-2011, 04:34 PM

:confused: WTF???

let me translate for u , u moron:

You are embarassed because of something that is happening at the moment (e.g., being temporarily overplayed by a lesser player). It's a state of mind, at least a temporary one. This doesn't mean that the lesser player embarassed you, only that he made you feel embarassed for a little while ...

It's so hard to grasp basic logic notions and phrase topic arguments ?

if laver had put it as in the thread title, this would have meant he is senile, but he only meant to say that nadal was a bit and only for a while embarassed for not finding solutions to tomic's game plan...

Kiedis
01-23-2011, 04:38 PM
let me translate for u , u moron:

You are embarassed because of something that is happening at the moment (e.g., being temporarily overplayed by a lesser player). It's a state of mind, at least a temporary one. This doesn't mean that the lesser player embarassed you, only that he made you feel embarassed for a little while ...

It's so hard to grasp basic logic notions and phrase topic arguments ?

if laver had put it as in the thread title, this would have meant he is senile, but he only meant to say that nadal was a bit and only for a while embarassed for not finding dolutions to tomic's game plan...

This is te literal quote:
http://onehd.com.au/onehd/newsarticles/Tennis-Tomic-embarrassed-Nadal-at-Open-Laver-S-733077.htm

I don't know what you're talking about, you genius

fsoica
01-23-2011, 04:40 PM
sorry for the moron thing, it's the tard in me speaking...

Anyway:

it's like playing chess with a 7 year old who manages to beat u 1 out of 10 games.

u feel inside urself a bit embarassed at the moment of that single defeat.

actually, to be embarassed it's quite reflexive as a verb and not transitive, so the OP should have not phrased the title that way...

it's an action reflected upon yourself, not upon others

one feels embarassed himself by smth., does not get embarassed by someone else...

that was what i meant to say...

pure semanthics...

i am sure Laver speaks english a lot better than me, though...

samjones
01-23-2011, 04:43 PM
laver had put it as in the thread title, this would have meant he is senile, but he only meant to say that nadal was a bit and only for a while embarassed for not finding solutions to tomic's game plan...

I think that Rod Laver was trying to say that Rafael Nadal got his ass kicked by Bernie Tomic. That was my reading of that quote.

ŦIvanŧ
01-23-2011, 04:46 PM

only for this and the thread should have been deleted and the OP banned for at least a day.

my budha,the best crap recently

Kiedis,keep up good posting.

fsoica
01-23-2011, 04:49 PM
I think that Rod Laver was trying to say that Rafael Nadal got his ass kicked by Bernie Tomic. That was my reading of that quote.

did u call rod and asked him ?

Mungo
01-23-2011, 05:05 PM
The headline is not what Laver said at all. OP good luck supporting your former tennis player and current tv commentator with only 2 GS titles.

fast_clay
01-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Uncle Rod needs to shut the f*** up... the truth always causes big problems in here...

Kiedis
01-23-2011, 06:16 PM
Uncle Rod needs to shut the f*** up... the truth always causes big problems in here...

The truth... not my truth or my point of view... but "THE TRUTH"... what a arrogant concept :o

fast_clay
01-23-2011, 06:39 PM
The truth... not my truth or my point of view... but "THE TRUTH"... what a arrogant concept :o

I'm in no position to argue with Uncle Rod... nor do I believe you are...

Start da Game
01-23-2011, 06:46 PM
tiny rocket getting bitter.......nothing more to it........let's forgive this tiny old man and move on, spartan brigade........

mrclyde
01-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Hey people, Tomic said in an interview that he very quickly discovers player's weaknesses since he was small. Yes, he showed in front of this big crowd how easy Nadal can be, and Nadal was knocked down in 1st 2 sets. Only mistakes made the result. But Rafa actually found a way with very big fighting to stop this chess-machine and soft-hitter Tomic. From now Tomic will be a real threat to everyone. But I still don't think that was an embarrasment. This is Tomic's talent, but tell me, how many GS he'll win with this game? He still didn't win even one. Every 10 years are born big champions and they "embarass" the old ones. And one thing to mention is that people like tennis because of these fighters like Murray and Nadal, and not like the chess players like Simon and Tomic.

@Sweet Cleopatra
01-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Rafa is happy Tomic played good and he respects all players. Laver is a legend and he praised both players.

Start da Game
01-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Hey people, Tomic said in an interview that he very quickly discovers player's weaknesses since he was small. Yes, he showed in front of this big crowd how easy Nadal can be, and Nadal was knocked down in 1st 2 sets. Only mistakes made the result. But Rafa actually found a way with very big fighting to stop this chess-machine and soft-hitter Tomic. From now Tomic will be a real threat to everyone. But I still don't think that was an embarrasment. This is Tomic's talent, but tell me, how many GS he'll win with this game? He still didn't win even one. Every 10 years are born big champions and they "embarass" the old ones. And one thing to mention is that people like tennis because of these fighters like Murray and Nadal, and not like the chess players like Simon and Tomic.

good post, welcome to menstennisforums dot come........they all play the game and entertain us.......different strokes for different folks.......simon and tomic are only starting off with chess........

the real chess, masterclass out-thinking called "physical chess" is being played by one man at the french open every year over the last 6 years.......

Aenea
01-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Hey people, Tomic said in an interview that he very quickly discovers player's weaknesses since he was small. Yes, he showed in front of this big crowd how easy Nadal can be, and Nadal was knocked down in 1st 2 sets. ...

Rafa won 1st set 62. How could you say he was knocked down in that set :confused:

ŦIvanŧ
01-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Rafa won 1st set 62. How could you say he was knocked down in that set :confused:

mtf could still surprise you?

Manequin75
01-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Rafa was clearly struggling. Combination of poor serving, body condition and Tomic. Just couldnt hit forehand winners through and through the court. I hope he is feeling better for his match with Cilic. Cilic is finding last years form again and he likes the AO surface. This will be a tough match and I hope Rafa plays better and feels comfortable healthwise in the match.

Roger the Dodger
01-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Laver: 'Tomic is class.' :lol:

Chartreuse
01-23-2011, 08:28 PM
It seems that Laver thinks/believes/fears/suspects that Nadal will win the AO. Laver calling this a potential mini-slam and saying Nadal was embarrassed by a teen and trying to belittle Nadal twice now since the AO began makes it look like this. And Nadal winning 4 slams in a row on 4 different surfaces looks too cool and sexy for Laver who wants to be the only man in the open era to have won 4 slams in a row, albeit only on 2 surfaces not 4. He wants that record to be his. I don't think Rafa will win it actually because he needs to be 100% to win HC slams... And currently he is getting over a virus..

Roger the Dodger
01-23-2011, 08:35 PM
It seems that Laver thinks/believes/fears/suspects that Nadal will win the AO. Laver calling this a potential mini-slam and saying Nadal was embarrassed by a teen and trying to belittle Nadal twice now since the AO began makes it look like this. And Nadal winning 4 slams in a row on 4 different surfaces looks too cool and sexy for Laver who wants to be the only man in the open era to have won 4 slams in a row, albeit only on 2 surfaces not 4. He wants that record to be his. I don't think Rafa will win it actually because he needs to be 100% to win HC slams... And currently he is getting over a virus..

Rod Laver has no problems with Federer surpassing his records. Its Nadal's unorthodox 'style' of tennis that might annoy his classical tastebuds, nothing else.

Chartreuse
01-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Rod Laver has no problems with Federer surpassing his records. Its Nadal's unorthodox 'style' of tennis that might annoy his classical tastebuds, nothing else.

Indeed. Nadal is not Laver's cup of tea.

swebright
01-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Rod Laver is just jealous. There is somebody who can threaten his record and he's in denial.

Allez
01-23-2011, 08:49 PM

When Nadal gets close to winning a Grand Slam in a single calendar year then Laver (if he is a bitter person and I do not believe that he is) might start getting worried. As it is Nadal isn't even close to breaking Laver's record. He needs to win here and then the remaining 3 slams in 2011. It could happen, but right now Laver has nothing to worry about.

fast_clay
01-23-2011, 09:01 PM
the real chess, masterclass out-thinking called "physical chess" is being played by one man at the french open every year over the last 6 years.......

:lol: you actually got me laughing here man... high level material... talk about a contradiction in terms... :lol: like the club weilding ogre who one day just left his pack and decided to become a doctor...

does take some thinking though... or maybe just a couple of zap's with uncle toni's cattle prod to get him up every day to tackle passing cars since the age of six... solid thinking... or mind washing... or yeah, programming... something..

Pirao666
01-23-2011, 09:52 PM

Lol... yeah when he played tennis was a strongly profesionalized sport like it is now, right? :lol:

Corey Feldman
01-23-2011, 10:00 PM
:lol: loving old Laver thesedays

as i said before, he is the one legend who hasnt stuck the knife into Fed for the Golden Child

Pirao666
01-23-2011, 10:00 PM

Agreed, hit the nail on the head.

Mr. Oracle
01-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Gramps is clearly a fedtard and biased against nadal. Oh! my hip!

thrust
01-23-2011, 10:11 PM

LOL!! Whenever I think I have heard it all here, some moron will usually surprise me! UNBELIEVABLE!!

Mr. Oracle
01-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Agreed, hit the nail on the head.

Laver should give more respect to nadal's high level of training and mental toughness. I respect the person who works twice as hard to achieve the same goals as someone who is naturally gifted (fed) and does not need to play/train as hard. Nadal is a champion is every sense of the word. Get used to it oldtimer, fed has.

Lopez
01-23-2011, 10:22 PM

I have also watched some matches but that was not enough to get the impression of any exceptional greatness not anything not seen in other players anyway.

Well there are of course his exceptional achievements ;). I mean if we went by match performances alone, someone like Safin or Nalbandian might be (incorrectly) hailed as GOAT :p.

Doggy
01-24-2011, 12:09 AM
In that case, Simon and Robredo embarrassed Federer

JayR
01-24-2011, 12:14 AM
LOL!! Whenever I think I have heard it all here, some moron will usually surprise me! UNBELIEVABLE!!

Absolutely.I'm surprised that anyone is ever surprised any more by the monumental idiocy shown here at times.

Pipsy
01-24-2011, 12:15 AM

I am not going to use this post to argue Nadal's status among the greats one way or the other but there is no way that Laver's opinions represented anything like "undeniable proof" regardless. In fact, nobody's opinion counts for undeniable proof! :o

Pirata.
01-24-2011, 12:40 AM
Rod Laver is just jealous. There is somebody who can threaten his record and he's in denial.

Rod has two calendar-year Grand Slams, Rafa is going for a non-calendar year slam. I hardly think he's threatening Rod's record.

Simon and Robredo are both former top ten players, not up-and-coming teenagers ranked far outside the top 100.

fast_clay
01-24-2011, 12:42 AM

no sh!t sherlock :rolleyes:

ossie
01-24-2011, 01:05 AM
laver talking shit again :rolleyes: he wouldnt last 1 set in todays era

Ackms421
01-24-2011, 02:01 AM
I agree that Laver doesn't care for Nadal and that his comments are more than a little biased. Laver was great though. Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcRNZeo70P4

bobbynorwich
01-24-2011, 02:11 AM
Nadal won in straight sets with no tiebreaks. How exactly is that embarrassing?

:confused:

Dundalis
01-24-2011, 03:58 AM
Some clowns in the Tomic v Nadal thread were saying that Tomic had no weapons and that WTA plyaers had more power after the Lopez game.

Well Tomic dominated Nadal from the baseline for a lot of the match and his average forehand and backhand speed was superior. As Jim Courier mentioned, all Tomic is lacking is the physical aspect. He isn't strong enough, nor does he have the endurance at this point, by the third set he was dead on his legs.

Rafa Nadal was already very very well developed physically as an 18 year old, so there is no comparison in that regard. Nadal had stopped growing and could comfortably play within himself, while Tomic might still be growing, meaning a lot more adapting with his tennis. None of the tall 6'5, 6'6 players really do much until they are 19 or 20 and usually later.

And Laver should be allowed to back one of our up and comers. It was pretty clear for anyone to see that at 4-0 down in the second set Nadal was pissed. I agree that Nadal came out and played like shit, but for most of the first two sets, Tomic was dominating the points, and basically gave a lot of points and games away due to inexperience and poor shot selection/unforced errors.

Lots of clowns in this thread just crap talking rather than actually analysing the game which is what Laver did.

Dmitry Verdasco
01-24-2011, 04:02 AM
Tomic's 4-0 lead in the second was a result of Nadal recuperating from his virus. He was taking a breather, I thought it was pretty obvious while watching.

Without that, Nadal basically one 62 61 63. A demolition.

Dundalis
01-24-2011, 04:09 AM
Tomic's 4-0 lead in the second was a result of Nadal recuperating from his virus. He was taking a breather, I thought it was pretty obvious while watching.

Without that, Nadal basically one 62 61 63. A demolition.
You are a doctor are you?

Even Nadal himself admitted Tomic was difficult to play against. For anyone really watching the match, that was pretty obvious. Nadal playing below his best was part of it, but ignoring that Tomic played really well against him is just biased ignorance.

Dmitry Verdasco
01-24-2011, 04:13 AM
You are a doctor are you?

Even Nadal himself admitted Tomic was difficult to play against. For anyone really watching the match, that was pretty obvious. Nadal playing below his best was part of it, but ignoring that Tomic played really well against him is just biased ignorance.

You are Tomic's father are you? :lol:

Tomic did better than most would from outside the TOP 100. Not many would get 6 games off Nadal at a grand slam, virus or not. He did okay.

Dundalis
01-24-2011, 04:27 AM
You are Tomic's father are you? :lol:

Tomic did better than most would from outside the TOP 100. Not many would get 6 games off Nadal at a grand slam, virus or not. He did okay.
I like Tomic's game, and he played fairly well against the world number 1. So I'm going to defend him if someone gives him absolutely no credit for playing a pretty good game against the no. 1 in the world or insults him in a petty way.

Not to mention all the clowns whom have the nerve to insult Rod Laver simply due to speaking his mind.

CyBorg
01-24-2011, 04:33 AM
A lot of dumb, embarrassing posts here. Some posters calling Laver names and the like - did they even read what he actually said rather than just reacting to the headline?

Laver's comments are not in any way rude or unfair to Nadal. The headline is needlessly sensational and some people are foolish enough to take the bait.

CyBorg
01-24-2011, 04:36 AM
Lol... yeah when he played tennis was a strongly profesionalized sport like it is now, right? :lol:

Rod Laver played tennis during its golden age. Tennis was at the very peak of its popularity at the start of the open era, especially in the early 70s.

Don't let bitterness cloud your brain.

CyBorg
01-24-2011, 04:39 AM

Precisely. This thread is pure troll material. Especially for some of the really bitter people.

"Hey look - looks like that old boy Laver has disrespected our favorite Rafa; let's call him names and how washed up he is and how he was never any good. Yeah, that'll teach him."

Some people just can't help but look for villains to rally against.

fast_clay
01-24-2011, 04:43 AM
Precisely. This thread is pure troll material. Especially for some of the really bitter people.

"Hey look - looks like that old boy Laver has disrespected our favorite Rafa; let's call him names and how washed up he is and how he was never any good. Yeah, that'll teach him."

Some people just can't help but look for villains to rally against.

yep... a f***ing disgrace...

laver's name has been dragged thru the dirt for a few weeks now if you didnt know... definitely have eclisped fedtrolls as the lowest form of pond scum here... was hard to tell for the longest time, but they've found another level... a new depth... nothing's scared...

james82
01-24-2011, 07:16 AM
i dont think its that big of a achievement
its not like nadal has any challengers

FairWeatherFan
01-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Lol. Mugboar's fans attacking Laver just shows how clueless about tennis they really are.

Mugboar's career isn't worth a 1/100th of what Laver's is.

careergrandslam
01-24-2011, 08:01 AM
Lol. Mugboar's fans attacking Laver just shows how clueless about tennis they really are.

Mugboar's career isn't worth a 1/100th of what Laver's is.

laver is a geezer that played during a era with like 5 players.
even djokovic's career is greater than laver due to djokovic playing in a strong era with huge depth.

the players are faster, stronger, bigger, smarter, more skillful.

laver wouldnt last 1 set against murray.

im glad laver is opening up, he was quiet and everyone thought he was a god, now that we know he is a bitter geezer, people will start to dislike him and destroy his aura.

shows no respect for nada; at all.
if he cant show nadal respect, no need to kiss laver's arse.

if laver shows nadal respect, then laver will get the same respect he gives rafa.

Castafiore
01-24-2011, 08:17 AM
even djokovic's career is greater than laver due to djokovic playing in a strong era with huge depth.
It's very hard to compare eras, esp. with that much time in between and the racket technology having changed that much. However, I do think it's safe to assume that Laver would have been an excellent player even now.

A Laver at this age vs a young murray? Most probably.
A young laver against a young murray not winning one set? Dream on.

Laver just exaggerated a bit IMO. No big deal. This thread has followed MTF tradition by blowing things out of proportion.
It's not because he didn't praise Nadal to the moon that he doesn't respect him and what he said doesn't make him a bastard either.

On the other hand, it's not because he's had a fantastic career himself that his every word is fact.

Pirao666
01-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Rod Laver played tennis during its golden age. Tennis was at the very peak of its popularity at the start of the open era, especially in the early 70s.

Don't let bitterness cloud your brain.

Lol, tennis was almost an amateur sport when Laver was on top. Are you one of those nostalgiatards that think the players of the past would be dominating if they were playing today?

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/nadal-grand-slam-would-trump-lavers-20110116-19skc.html

This is also a much more brutal and competitive sport than it was in Laver's era. The physical and technical demands now are greater than they were when the tennis balls were coated in white felt and trees were chopped down to make rackets.

It took a while after tennis began its open, professional era in 1968 for the culture of the sport to change, so there still would have been an amateur ethos when Laver went around the grand slam block a second time.

Many more countries now produce players for the slams, to the detriment of the grand slam nations. Plus, Nadal shares an era with Roger Federer, widely regarded as the greatest talent of all time.

Even Lendl admitted he wouldn't do too good in his prime against Federer and Nadal because tennis has evolved so much.

paseo
01-24-2011, 11:33 AM

the players are faster, stronger, bigger, smarter, more skillful.

im glad laver is opening up, he was quiet and everyone thought he was a god, now that we know he is a bitter geezer, people will start to dislike him and destroy his aura.

shows no respect for nada; at all.
if he cant show nadal respect, no need to kiss laver's arse.

if laver shows nadal respect, then laver will get the same respect he gives rafa.

:lol: What a gem of a post.

Chartreuse
01-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Even Lendl admitted he wouldn't do too good in his prime against Federer and Nadal because tennis has evolved so much.

+1.

TheRafaelNadal
01-24-2011, 01:31 PM
who the hell is this fat laver guy and who does he think he's talking about? fat fool should shut his mouth.

abraxas21
01-24-2011, 08:17 PM
never thought rocket boy was this bitter........

ah, the irony

Everko
01-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Wow I did not expect this bitter envy from Laver.

Dmitry Verdasco
01-24-2011, 09:52 PM

:rolls::rolls::rolls:

djb84xi
01-24-2011, 10:08 PM

LOL, yeah. I don't understand what his problem is. Not once have I heard Laver acknowledge Rafa. Instead, he's taking cheap shots at him because he doesn't want Rafa to have any part of such a historic accomplishment. I'm starting to wonder are all the Aussie guys full of themselves like Laver is?

luie
01-24-2011, 10:16 PM
As expected,like with guy forget,bjorkman,rios,emerson, ex players who are not in the media speak the truth.
If every-one is honest they would say nadull just benefitted from medical technology/string technology & slowing down of the surfaces,with little elite variety.

Pirata.
01-24-2011, 10:54 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/nadal-grand-slam-would-trump-lavers-20110116-19skc.html

What a moronic article.

delpiero7
01-24-2011, 11:55 PM
As expected,like with guy forget,bjorkman,rios,emerson, ex players who are not in the media speak the truth.
If every-one is honest they would say nadull just benefitted from medical technology/string technology & slowing down of the surfaces,with little elite variety.

There are plenty of commentators and analysts in the media who have acknowledged that Nadal has benefitted from new racquet technology and general homogenization of surfaces.

However, they also appreciate his achievements in the game, and manage to do so without resorting to pathetic excuses such as weak eras, fixed draws and general conspiracies.

I have not heard Forget's comments on the whole Nadal topic, but out of the rest of the names you mention up there, only Bjorkman has come across as a very bitter Fedfan with respect to his comments in the media. AFAIK Rios and Emerson have merely stated that they prefer Federer, so its hardly as though they're speaking out against Nadal. Just becuase someone prefers one thing, it doesn't automatically mean that they hate the other.

You stated that ex players who aren't in the media speak the truth. So what do you make of Ivan Lendl (a former player who is rarely in the media these days) when he said that he reckons players of his era (which a lot of nostalgics claim was a MUCH stronger era) would struggle to compete with today's top players?

Clay Death
01-24-2011, 11:58 PM

right luie.

and that same stuff is simply not available to all the other tennis players.

put the crack pipe down old warrior and smell the coffee.

The Freak
01-25-2011, 01:40 AM
Yeah Rafa must have been pretty embarrassed with the straight sets victory...the old man is losing it.

SetSampras
01-25-2011, 02:00 AM
Makes you wonder if these types of comments will only charge Nadal up to win all 4 slams this year.

I don't remember Laver being so vocal when Federer was destroying pidgeons at the slams for years on end.

Start da Game
01-25-2011, 05:34 AM
Makes you wonder if these types of comments will only charge Nadal up to win all 4 slams this year.

I don't remember Laver being so vocal when Federer was destroying pidgeons at the slams for years on end.

i already explained why tiny rocket kept quiet all those years.......federina's resume had several holes to challenge tiny rocket's GOAT status.......getting owned by his biggest rival, no french open, no davis cup titles........

so uncle roddy knew people were ultimately going to call him the GOAT.......now that he cannot find any such holes in nadal's resume, he is after nadal.......

abraxas21
01-25-2011, 05:48 AM
i already explained why tiny rocket kept quiet all those years.......federina's resume had several holes to challenge tiny rocket's GOAT status.......getting owned by his biggest rival, no french open, no davis cup titles........

so uncle roddy knew people were ultimately going to call him the GOAT.......now that he cannot find any such holes in nadal's resume, he is after nadal.......

you really need a hobby, freud

Start da Game
01-25-2011, 06:00 AM
you really need a hobby, freud

i am glad that i don't have a hobby like your's, dumb.......

tests
01-25-2011, 07:30 AM
tomic did embarass nadal. 4-0 in the 2nd set? Lucky for nadal, tomic choked massively, but if that was any other experienced player, nadal might have gotten bageled!

Bargearse
01-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Laver was probably just doing what the Australian media do best - focus on the one little hot streak Tomic had in the match when Nadal went to sleep and make as if Nadal were really in trouble in the match.

The only embarrassing thing here is that Tomic blew a 4-0 lead. Even Lleyton was far better at the age of 18 than the much over-hyped Tomic. :rolleyes:

kronus12
01-25-2011, 11:24 AM

yeah sure keep believing that clown wateva makes you feel good, can't believe the mods still keep you on here with your stupid opinions.

luie
01-25-2011, 02:58 PM
There are plenty of commentators and analysts in the media who have acknowledged that Nadal has benefitted from new racquet technology and general homogenization of surfaces.

However, they also appreciate his achievements in the game, and manage to do so without resorting to pathetic excuses such as weak eras, fixed draws and general conspiracies.

I have not heard Forget's comments on the whole Nadal topic, but out of the rest of the names you mention up there, only Bjorkman has come across as a very bitter Fedfan with respect to his comments in the media. AFAIK Rios and Emerson have merely stated that they prefer Federer, so its hardly as though they're speaking out against Nadal. Just becuase someone prefers one thing, it doesn't automatically mean that they hate the other.

You stated that ex players who aren't in the media speak the truth. So what do you make of Ivan Lendl (a former player who is rarely in the media these days) when he said that he reckons players of his era (which a lot of nostalgics claim was a MUCH stronger era) would struggle to compete with today's top players?
Ivan is entitled to his opinion so is laver,,,, ex players have different takes on the current era its natural,, what I don't get is the constant bitching & degrading comments by nadull tards with any-one that discredit their "god".
There is a variety of opinion,true fans accept this/discuss it & move-on.Meaning discuss the issue, laver's size & achievement has nothing to do with his comments.

peribsen
01-25-2011, 03:39 PM
I fail to see why anyone thinks Laver's comments are offensive for Nadal, since I think they were meant mostly for Tomic. Nadal is for the moment a far more accomplished player than Tomic, and in fact won in straight sets. Saying that a youngster was good enough to present him with a bit of a problem is a compliment to the youngster, not a criticism of the top gun.

GGL certainly more than "embarrased" Nadal in Bangkok, or Montaņes Federer in Estoril, since both won. But the only thing that it really means is that GGL and Montaņes will remember their matches with huge pride, while Rafa and Roger will forget them as mere hiccups.

Wish some people could relax a bit.

Start da Game
01-25-2011, 04:09 PM
yes i think we should give tiny rocket 'benefit of the doubt' and move on.......if he still speaks about nadal in the same vein, maybe we should consider it seriously........