AO R4 Federer def Robredo 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

AO R4 Federer def Robredo 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-2

Knightmace
01-23-2011, 04:59 AM
:):) 27th consecutive GS QF?

LinkMage
Go home old man. You are not winning this tournament. :o

Played good for 5 sets (3 sets in R1 against Lacko and the first 2 sets in R2 against Simon) and then turned into the horrendous Fedmug of Indian Wells 2010 - Wimbledon 2010.

viruzzz
3/4 sets were an easy cake.
But in the 2nd set Federror showed up and screwed an easy match.

But Federer won, not brilliant tennis, just a little bit of Roger.

HDW
01-23-2011, 05:00 AM
Federror :worship:

Fujee
01-23-2011, 05:03 AM
Mostly good, a little bit of shanking here and there but things are going to improve.

Arkulari
01-23-2011, 05:03 AM
Shankerer in full flight during the second set :lol:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2b41o5.jpg

He won't win the tournament with this form but at least isn't losing early :lol:

shiaben
01-23-2011, 05:04 AM
There is no room for "Federror" against the likes of Djokovic nor Nadal.

With that said, the implications are obvious.

I expect Wawrinka to lose in Federer, maybe even in 5 sets.

An upset would be interesting :)

But I think Federer will win that QF, and play Djokovic in the SF, and get thrashed.

I see the end of Federer's legacy coming soon, and Djokovic will be the man to really put an end to it in these slams.

Then again Federer can be playing in a relaxed manner, just BS his way through to save himself massive energy for the SF and F.

azinna
01-23-2011, 05:05 AM
Ok from Roger.

FlameOn
01-23-2011, 05:06 AM
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/12600000/federer-smile-roger-federer-12602632-111-120.jpg

NadalesDios
01-23-2011, 05:08 AM
Against Djokovic will be his last match this year in AO

The Magician
01-23-2011, 05:08 AM
Obviously the conditions affected Fed. Should be night matches from now on which makes Soderling and Federer a lot more dangerous. Good win regardless and tied the slam QF record :worship:

ApproachShot
01-23-2011, 05:09 AM
He ties Connors with 27 consecutive QFs, but of course there were some tournaments within that streak of 27 that Connors did not play in. Federer already had the record for most consecutive QFs without any absences. See the thread in my signature for more details.

Fujee
01-23-2011, 05:11 AM
There is no room for "Federror" against the likes of Djokovic nor Nadal.

With that said, the implications are obvious.

I expect Wawrinka to lose in Federer, maybe even in 5 sets.

An upset would be interesting :)

But I think Federer will win that QF, and play Djokovic in the SF, and get thrashed.

I see the end of Federer's legacy coming soon, and Djokovic will be the man to really put an end to it in these slams.

Then again Federer can be playing in a relaxed manner, just BS his way through to save himself massive energy for the SF and F.

To be honest, he doesn't seem to be pushing it too hard, its damn hot out there. Djokovic is playing well but to put a statement out like that is a bit much to be honest, the man is obviously going to be a massive contender for years now, but Roger has had 2 average games and is now no longer a slam contender? - rubbish. Roger obviously knows he's gotta step it up and he will, its like last year, he dropped a few sets early on but played some of his best stuff in the latter stages. Roger is and always will be a major contender at slams, he's too talented not to be.

Corey Feldman
01-23-2011, 05:11 AM
unlucky AO organizers

maybe in 2 days you can make Fed play in the sun again v Roddick while Na Li v Andrea Petkovic gets the night session

Snowwy
01-23-2011, 05:13 AM
unlucky AO organizers

maybe in 2 days you can make Fed play in the sun again v Roddick while Na Li v Andrea Petkovic gets the night session

Maybe Fed doesn't draw a good crowd? Or maybe they expect him to win in three? Its kinda boring to have the night match over in 3, don't you think?

Allez
01-23-2011, 05:14 AM
Fed's not in a grand slam winning mode at the moment. He looks pale out there. There could be an upset in the quarters. Still a win is a win and with this one his name goes into the record books :yeah:

castle007
01-23-2011, 05:15 AM
27 consecutive GS QFS!!! That is simply amazing. That is the second record he has tied/broken during this tournament.

Good luck in the QF champ

Corey Feldman
01-23-2011, 05:16 AM
Fed is playing alright

he's just playing players that are half decent and play good tennis v him, i know some Nadal/Nole fans are thinking "what, some good players out there before the Semis :eek:"

Robredo had 1 UE in the 2nd set so he won it

ApproachShot
01-23-2011, 05:17 AM
Go home old man. You are not winning this tournament. :o

Played good for 5 sets (3 sets in R1 against Lacko and the first 2 sets in R2 against Simon) and then turned into the horrendous Fedmug of Indian Wells 2010 - Wimbledon 2010.

Though the difference is that between Indian Wells and Wimbledon last year, Federer capitulated during tight matches. At least so far he has been able to pull out the win, no matter how ugly. I hope this can continue for the next 3 matches, but I must admit that I am not all that optimistic. Still if he wins his QF match he will be on a 15 match winning streak, which is not so bad I guess.

Arkulari
01-23-2011, 05:20 AM
I think he might get to the SF and then lose to either Nole or Berdych (I won't count out either of them ATM)

Topspindoctor
01-23-2011, 05:20 AM
Expected result :zzz:

BigJohn
01-23-2011, 05:22 AM
Maybe Fed doesn't draw a good crowd? Or maybe they expect him to win in three? Its kinda boring to have the night match over in 3, don't you think?

It must have something to do with TV broadcast schedule in Europe.

theseth1119
Excluding his Abu Dhabi exhibition F loss to Rafa 7-6 7-6, it was in the middle, but doesn't "officially count".

bigBOSS
Playing day matches in the sun makes him sick.

Bullshit tournament organizers woldn't give him night matches

Fed_Ds
01-23-2011, 05:23 AM
He ties Connors with 27 consecutive QFs, but of course there were some tournaments within that streak of 27 that Connors did not play in. Federer already had the record for most consecutive QFs without any absences. See the thread in my signature for more details.

Just amazing :worship::worship:

MIMIC
Federer with 29th straight 2nd round appearances :worship: :worship:

ESPN with the brilliant who gives a shit stats :retard:

Can't parade the semi-final stats anymore...TIME TO DOWNGRADE

Allez
Though the difference is that between Indian Wells and Wimbledon last year, Federer capitulated during tight matches. At least so far he has been able to pull out the win, no matter how ugly. I hope this can continue for the next 3 matches, but I must admit that I am not all that optimistic. Still if he wins his QF match he will be on a 15 match winning streak, which is not so bad I guess.

Nah...Fed had a couple of ugly matches leading up to his loss to Tomas Berdych at Wimbledon. I mean he went the distance against Falla of all people :eek: In fact this year's AO is increasingly looking like Wimbledon 2010 and what's more...Berdych could be lurking in the semis once more :eek:

Snowwy
01-23-2011, 05:25 AM
Playing day matches in the sun makes him sick.

Bullshit tournament organizers woldn't give him night matches

:lol:

There are two night matches, why does he always deserve it? :rolleyes:

castle007
01-23-2011, 05:26 AM

Still, if they are doing second round appearances, then it should be 31 !!! :confused:

ApproachShot
01-23-2011, 05:30 AM
By the way, Federer has the record for most consecutive:
2nd round appearances
3rd round appearances
Quarter final appearances
Semi final appearances
Final appearances
at Grand Slams, without absence from any tournament during the streak.

He can tie the record for most consecutive 4th round appearances by winning 3 matches at this year's French Open, and he can tie the most consecutive 1st round appearances by playing in every slam tournament until USO 2013.

tests
01-23-2011, 05:33 AM
i am afraid that federer will end up losing in the SFs to chokovic or berdych.

I think his lone slam this year will come during the USO or wimbledon (if nadal is not in the final)

MIMIC
01-23-2011, 05:34 AM
Still, if they are doing second round appearances, then it should be 31 !!! :confused:

31, 95, who cares. When he loses that, it'll be "ZOMG record for consecutive 4th rounds" then it'll be something stupid like "Only man to win a U.S. Open in an odd year married to a woman with M-I-R as the first 3 letters of her first name".

Corey Feldman
01-23-2011, 05:34 AM
2nd round appearances
3rd round appearances
Semi final appearances
Final appearances

He can tie the record for most consecutive 4th round appearances by winning 3 matches at this year's French Open, and he can tie the most consecutive 1st round appearances by playing in every slam tournament until USO 2013.damn that 2012 Asteroid

Lleyton_
01-23-2011, 05:36 AM
31, 95, who cares. When he loses that, it'll be "ZOMG record for consecutive 4th rounds" then it'll be something stupid like "Only man to win a U.S. Open in an odd year married to a woman with M-I-R as the first 3 letters of her first name".

Take it easy :lol:

castle007
01-23-2011, 05:38 AM

why do you hate Federer so much??? :rolleyes:

MIMIC
01-23-2011, 05:41 AM
why do you hate Federer so much??? :rolleyes:

Federer has all the significant records. The desperation for everything under the sun is just kinda pathetic.

Arkulari
01-23-2011, 05:44 AM
Countdown for the haters to appear here :lol:

Lleyton_
01-23-2011, 05:49 AM
Federer has all the significant records. The desperation for everything under the sun is just kinda pathetic.

Desperation of who? You should post more in here- http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=77869

Jimnik
01-23-2011, 05:53 AM
Can't believe Boredo won a set. Great effort.

MIMIC
01-23-2011, 05:56 AM
Desperation of who? You should post more in here- http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=77869

And I'm not just picking on Federer. ESPN makes up on-the-fly stats for basketball players (particularly LeBron James) and football players, too.

barbadosan
01-23-2011, 06:00 AM
2nd round appearances
3rd round appearances
Semi final appearances
Final appearances

He can tie the record for most consecutive 4th round appearances by winning 3 matches at this year's French Open, and he can tie the most consecutive 1st round appearances by playing in every slam tournament until USO 2013.

I guess MIMIC would call that downgrading :rolleyes:

The Magician
01-23-2011, 06:19 AM

At one time a GS QF meant something. Not Federer's fault ATP and Nadull have made GS draws a joke :wavey:

tennis2tennis
01-23-2011, 06:22 AM
And I'm not just picking on Federer. ESPN makes up on-the-fly stats for basketball players (particularly LeBron James) and football players, too.

sorry u lost me how is the streak an irrelevant 'on-the-fly' stat? he may like u said hold more important records but it doesn't make this one any less important...

Seingeist
01-23-2011, 06:25 AM
At one time a GS QF meant something. Not Federer's fault ATP and Nadull have made GS draws a joke :wavey:

:zzz:

MIMIC
01-23-2011, 06:33 AM
sorry u lost me how is the streak an irrelevant 'on-the-fly' stat? he may like u said hold more important records but it doesn't make this one any less important...

Nobody cared about his quarter-final streak until the one before it ended.

"Awww...Fed's streak ended. What ELSE can we start counting?" :rolleyes:

Leo
01-23-2011, 06:45 AM
IMO, Fed has looked bored this whole tournament. That will change for his SF- he'll come out very sharp and focused for that.

Commander Data
01-23-2011, 07:59 AM
WHAT?!

Have not seen the match. But Federer from WTF would not need 4 sets to beat Robredo.
I start to smell an upset against Stan.

Mechlan
01-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Pretty awful stuff from Federer. Going to have to step it up a notch if it's Wawrinka in the quarters. Should still roll through Roddick since Andy's looked even worse.

Bigselber
01-23-2011, 08:40 AM
I don't get it... He played superb tennis in the first round and the two first sets against Simon. Now all of the sudden hes playing terrible and looks bored, hope hes not injured .

joplin
01-23-2011, 09:36 AM
joy ride ends here for federer if wawa doesnt go his usual mug self at big stage
but either way, federer is not winning AO, neither Rafa, if we already talk bout this subject

GSMnadal
01-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Fed lost a set against this guy??? :spit:

HarryMan
01-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Federer played a real poor second set. Apart from that, he got the job done. He will need to step up his game for the quarters, semi's and the final. He will still be tough to beat for his opponents.

samanosuke
01-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Last year WTF was in jesus mode , in Doha jesus mode continued , against Lacko and first two sets against Simon jesus was still there and than something happened . really can't understand what went wrong in that moment and why can't shift back ??? Big mystery for me

Sonja1989
01-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Robredo :sad: :hug:
But I thought the match will be easier for Federer. Robredo won one set! :)

Apophis
01-23-2011, 10:23 AM

It's impossible to make up stats. One is the best ever at something or not, and it is perfectly fine if you don't care about any particular record. It can still be significant to fans and other close followers. My grandparents probably don't care at all about the 16 slam record, but still many people find it important.

Apophis
01-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Nobody cared about his quarter-final streak until the one before it ended.

"Awww...Fed's streak ended. What ELSE can we start counting?" :rolleyes:

That can easily be explained since both streaks started at the same time. When Federer holds both a 23 SF streak and a 23 QF streak, it is pointless to mention the 23 QF streak as it is automatically included in the SF streak. Once the QF becomes longer than the SF streak, it makes sense to mention it.

Same way, noone mentions Nadal has a 3 final streak currently, even though this tied Sampras, Courier, Borg and some more. If he would lose in the final this AO, people will suddenly start mentioning the 4 final streak tying Agassi and Laver. Makes perfect sense.

Shirogane
01-23-2011, 10:52 AM
The basle Dazzle

3 sets at night, 4 during the day

:hatoff: you were spot on.

Nadull_tard
01-23-2011, 11:37 AM
AO organizers are trying to roast Federer. He will play Wawrinka at day session, meanwhile Nadull plays all matches at night from now.
Everyone wants Nadull to win this slam. Pathetic conspiracy.
Watch Nadull getting cake draws till he completes 17 GS titles.

Orka_n
01-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Worrying. Fed needs to magically find his form if he's to beat Stan. Unless Stan chokes, of course. Which is very possible.

Jaz
01-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Watched this match

Federer using top-spin on his forehand - anyone know why?
Very bizzare tactic on hard.
Federer went completely AWOL in the 2nd set. It was atrocious. HE leaked ALOT of errors.
Serving was good.

Matt01
01-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Still a good effort, Tommy :yeah:
:hug:

Langers
01-23-2011, 12:45 PM
:):) 27th consecutive GS QF?
You're not seriously continuing to harp on a meaningless stat now are you? :o

Orka_n
01-23-2011, 01:01 PM
You're not seriously continuing to harp on a meaningless stat now are you? :oUnlike most other statistics bullshit going on at MTF, that fact is actually relevant.
Incredible achievement, Roger.

rafaholic
01-23-2011, 01:46 PM
AO organizers are trying to roast Federer. He will play Wawrinka at day session, meanwhile Nadull plays all matches at night from now.
Everyone wants Nadull to win this slam. Pathetic conspiracy.
Watch Nadull getting cake draws till he completes 17 GS titles.

u seems worried, huh???

Chartreuse
01-23-2011, 01:48 PM
LOL. Robredo won a set.

70-68
01-23-2011, 01:52 PM
get it together Fed

alfonsojose
01-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Watched this match

Federer using top-spin on his forehand - anyone know why?
Very bizzare tactic on hard.
Federer went completely AWOL in the 2nd set. It was atrocious. HE leaked ALOT of errors.
Serving was good.

Slow high bouncing hard court. Almost blue clay, so topspin makes sense

cobalt60
01-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Good for Robredo taking a set!

propi
01-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Tommy :hug: great tournament after all :hug:
Now I can focus only in Djoko in this part of the draw :worship:

Myrre
01-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Just a walk in the park for Federer. He'll bring out the big guns for the semis and final.

Magus13
01-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Sometimes I wonder if there is anyone here that truly understands what they are seeing and how it applies to the tournament at hand. Federer has lost two matches since the US Open. His aggressive play has been widely credited for his winning in London and Doha. If Federer cared abour scoreline he could play real passive at times and not drop a set or two. Annacone and Federer's whole goal is to win tournaments. They know agressive play will give them the best chance agianst Nadal, Murray, Joke, etc. Agressive play is something you don't just turn on in the later parts of the tournament. Fed is doing things that will give him best chance to win the whole tournament, not early round straight sets. He even said that he could care less about winners and errors as long as he is playing the right way. Even in dropping a set to Robredo he ist still on the court under two hours, dictating play, getting to net and winning and losing points on his terms. Bottom line lets see how this plays out. I'm comfortable with where Feds game is.

Paylu2007
01-23-2011, 08:28 PM
He won :) he doesnt earn more points for winning in streak sets, the game didnt last long anyway... :D congratz Fed!!

Corey Feldman
01-23-2011, 10:03 PM
You're not seriously continuing to harp on a meaningless stat now are you? :o27 straight GS QF's, meaningless ?

GlennMirnyi
01-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Wow.

Losing a set to Boredo.

Frauderer is really earning his nickname.

abraxas21
01-24-2011, 12:52 AM
olderer losing a set to boredo on a hardcourt :lol:

no wonder they call him olderer

tests
01-24-2011, 12:55 AM
i honestly do not see federer winning this aus open. Unless he has a complete 360 degree turn in his playstyle, i just dont see it.

Zagor
01-24-2011, 01:04 AM
i honestly do not see federer winning this aus open. Unless he has a complete 360 degree turn in his playstyle, i just dont see it.

I really don't see it either,his game is way hot and cold,patches of brilliance mixed with being an unforced error machine.

On the other hand as long he's still in the tournament anything can happen.Wouldn't be the first time he somehow suddenly found his best tennis in the late stages of a slam but the odds are against him this time.

tests
01-24-2011, 01:13 AM
well it is quite relative. If he faces a murray/soderling in the final, i see him hoisting the trophy. If nadal, well, you know the story.

bayvalle
01-24-2011, 02:43 AM

Yeah, especially if Fed meets Nadal in the finals. Speaking of Rafa, with the ouster today of Soderling, only Murray stands in Nadal's way for a 10th slam title. It will be now in Andy's hands to stop Nadal from going double-digit this Sunday.

In Fed's half, it was quite a relief to many fans that Roger got rid of Robredo. There are annoyingly too many Spaniards populating slam tournaments. Only Lopez now still standing. Tio Toni will surely prefer a Lopez win against Raonic tomorrow as a gift to his favorite nephew. A Nadal-Lopez semifinal match is just perfect.

Arkulari
01-24-2011, 02:51 AM
Yeah, especially if Fed meets Nadal in the finals. Speaking of Rafa, with the ouster today of Soderling, only Murray stands in Nadal's way for a 10th slam title. It will be now in Andy's hands to stop Nadal from going double-digit this Sunday.

In Fed's half, it was quite a relief to many fans that Roger got rid of Robredo. There are annoyingly too many Spaniards populating slam tournaments. Only Lopez now still standing. Tio Toni will surely prefer a Lopez win against Raonic tomorrow as a gift to his favorite nephew. A Nadal-Lopez semifinal match is just perfect.

At least your facts straight, it is FERRER, not Lopez the one still standing

tests
01-24-2011, 02:54 AM
ferrer, lopez, robredo, guillermo, verdasco, SAME SHIT. All of these guys are Nadals pigeons.

bayvalle
01-24-2011, 05:17 AM
At least your facts straight, it is FERRER, not Lopez the one still standing

Ferrer, yes. And it is "quarterfinals", not semifinals.