Nadal physically drained, didn't recover from that virus yet [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal physically drained, didn't recover from that virus yet

Mungo
01-22-2011, 10:28 PM
That's it, unfortunately for tennis. Tough luck. There's a reason why Nadal's groundstrokes are landing short and his serve lost power this week. He's lacking energy, sweating more than usual, feeling more tired than usual even after practising, and losing more weight than usual after a match. The way I see it, everyone from now on got a chance to beat him.
Cilic, Ferrer (in much better condition) and Murray/Soderling. It's a golden chance for Murray to reach the final. Djokovic is my other bet to reach the final.
This is from Nadal's interview after beating Tomic:

Q. You seemed to be sweating a lot early on, changed your shirt a few times. Were you feeling okay out there?

RAFAEL NADAL: I was perfect when I started the season in Abu Dhabi playing. I was playing perfect and I was feeling perfect physically. In Doha, I had that problem. I wasn't feel very well. Have fever and these things. Seems like after that my body is still not perfect. I am sweating more than usual. I am more tired than usual when I'm playing. That's what happen right now. That's the true.

Q. You said you don't have a fever anymore, but the body is getting tired. Are you concerned in the next week the body might not be ready for five sets after five sets?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. Hopefully I gonna improve. I don't know. I don't know what's going on. I am doing all that I can. I am working, I am resting. I can't do more, no? If I don't feel perfect, it's not my fault. It's day of today. All I can say is keep fighting. I have the (indiscernible) here, my biscuits, for the problem maybe. If I eat more, maybe I am better next week.

Mjau!
01-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Playing a 250 tournament while sick, less than 2 weeks before the AO was such a smart move... :rolleyes:

Zagor
01-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Well it is unfortunate but he has to try to play through it if he can.Other players have issues of their own-,Novak has breathing problems,Soderling seems to hate playing in hot conditions(cause he's a viking lol)Fed is almost 30 and has already played a 5 setter in 2nd round etc. Such things are part of the game,this does help his opponents but Nadal's still a champ,sick or not I wouldn't write him off.

Tennis4you-com
01-22-2011, 11:04 PM
Maybe Nadal sweated it out last night. :)

swisht4u
01-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Well it is unfortunate but he has to try to play through it if he can.Other players have issues of their own-,Novak has breathing problems,Soderling seems to hate playing in hot conditions(cause he's a viking lol)Fed is almost 30 and has already played a 5 setter in 2nd round etc. Such things are part of the game,this does help his opponents but Nadal's still a champ,sick or not I wouldn't write him off.

It may help him play better as he'll rest more.

LinkMage
01-22-2011, 11:31 PM
:bs:

He will still win the tournament. :o

mgasol
01-22-2011, 11:34 PM
so much for his technological shirt haha. who was it who said that?

10is-
01-22-2011, 11:35 PM
Utter BS!

Arkulari
01-22-2011, 11:37 PM
The excuses have already started... :o

Rafa is the main favorite for the title and it will take a massive performance to take him down

azinna
01-22-2011, 11:39 PM
Don't believe the anti-hype, folks.

mgasol
01-22-2011, 11:40 PM
The excuses have already started... :o

Rafa is the main favorite for the title and it will take a massive performance to take him down

why is that that nadal fans are always looking for excuses? btw i dont think he is the main favorite. any of the top four can clinch it. murray is looking much better than nadal at this point.

Tennis4you-com
01-22-2011, 11:41 PM
If Nadal is sick that first round should give him some extra energy to get through. His second round didn't look like it hurt much either. :)

@Sweet Cleopatra
01-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Get well soon Rafa :sad: :hug:

nadal_slam_king
01-22-2011, 11:50 PM
I saw a translation from the Spanish post-match interview and he said he lost 2.5 kilos during the Tomic match.

@Sweet Cleopatra
01-22-2011, 11:51 PM
I saw a translation from the Spanish post-match interview and he said he lost 2.5 kilos during the Tomic match.

I hope he recovers from that mysterious illness soon :sad:

moon language
01-22-2011, 11:56 PM

I thought he meant that due to the illness he had lost that much, not just during that one match.

nadal_slam_king
01-22-2011, 11:57 PM
I hope he recovers from that mysterious illness soon :sad:

Yeah if he doesn't, then that mean's he won't possess the power to control rallies, so he'll have to win with his retrieving skills. Then again, his service speeds weren't that high when he won the AO in 2009, he wasn't serving at US Open 2010 level. Either way, his top priority should be to get the 1st set of every match in his pocket. He's only ever lost ONE match in slams after winning the first set. It seems to psych his opponent out knowing they have to win 3 of 4 sets to win the match.

Mungo
01-22-2011, 11:58 PM

Yeah and people talking of excuses are so pathetic. Apparently they have never seen him play, it's pretty obvious that Nadal is sweating more than usual, feeling more tired than usual, hitting with less pace and moving slower. That's the truth if you got a clue about tennis and about how Nadal usually plays.

nadal_slam_king
01-23-2011, 12:01 AM
I thought he meant that due to the illness he had lost that much, not just during that one match.

That's what I thought at first, but the phrasing was
"I've changed five or six times-shirt and was not so hot. I lost two kilos and a half and I do not usually lose weight in games. Must be consequences of the disease. I suppose that after the flu earlier this year, my body will have been a tad lower than usual. I am a player who sweats when he is with anxiety. In such cases, sweat more. But there's no more anxiety, but sudo the ciborium. And most worrying is that I get tired training."
Well I guess that's a bit sketchy as to whether he's expressing his surprise as if to say 'wow I lost weight on this match I just played, that never has happened before!' or whether he means its been happening in the 3 matches at AO, or what....not sure. He just seems really surprised as if he just discovered it. Plus he's not mentioned weight loss before.

Lleyton_
01-23-2011, 12:01 AM
http://www.mrdevious.com/forum/Smileys/default/barf.gif

@Sweet Cleopatra
01-23-2011, 12:06 AM
Yeah if he doesn't, then that mean's he won't possess the power to control rallies, so he'll have to win with his retrieving skills. Then again, his service speeds weren't that high when he won the AO in 2009, he wasn't serving at US Open 2010 level. Either way, his top priority should be to get the 1st set of every match in his pocket. He's only ever lost ONE match in slams after winning the first set. It seems to psych his opponent out knowing they have to win 3 of 4 sets to win the match.

I want him to get better for his health not the matches.

solowyn
01-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Shit happens. Every player gets ill sometimes. We've just passed R3, there's a long way to go in this slam yet.

10is-
01-23-2011, 12:14 AM

My sentiments exactly!

Jimnik
01-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Betting markets are unchanged. Nadal is still favourite. No-one believes this is an issue.

Mungo
01-23-2011, 12:15 AM
I lost all hope of Nadal winning the AO this year. This illness has been going on for 2 weeks already, if he didn't recover after one week of rest he isn't going to get better playing best of 5 sets under the aussie heat. I just want that he goes as far as possible to keep the no.1 and that he's fully recovered in Indian Wells...and also that someone other than Fedull wins the AO :)

Mungo
01-23-2011, 12:16 AM
Betting markets are unchanged. Nadal is still favourite. No-one believes this is an issue.

Great. Murray's odds to reach the final are nearly 4/1. Great chance to make some money.

paseo
01-23-2011, 12:18 AM
Yeah and people talking of excuses are so pathetic. Apparently they have never seen him play, it's pretty obvious that Nadal is sweating more than usual, feeling more tired than usual, hitting with less pace and moving slower. That's the truth if you got a clue about tennis and about how Nadal usually plays.

That's exactly how Fed looked like in AO08, yet you did not believe it. Heck, you still don't believe it until today. So tell me, how does it feels now when the table has turned? :D

Mungo
01-23-2011, 12:26 AM
That's exactly how Fed looked like in AO08, yet you did not believe it. Heck, you still don't believe it until today. So tell me, how does it feels now when the table has turned? :D

Not really. Unlike Nadal, Fed said during the tournament that he was in good condition. He beat Tipsarevic in a long 5 setter. We don't know what Nadal has but I wish he had that 'Fed mono' lol.

moon language
01-23-2011, 12:30 AM
I lost all hope of Nadal winning the AO this year. This illness has been going on for 2 weeks already, if he didn't recover after one week of rest he isn't going to get better playing best of 5 sets under the aussie heat. I just want that he goes as far as possible to keep the no.1 and that he's fully recovered in Indian Wells...and also that someone other than Fedull wins the AO :)

The illness itself is probably well over, it's just his body needs time to rebuild the stored energy that was burned to fight off the virus. Playing now is probably fine for him, especially considering that he has not had any long matches and gets a day off between. As each day goes by he should be doing better and better. Continuing to play both singles and doubles while he was sick was not smart.

Mungo
01-23-2011, 12:35 AM
nadal is very luckyu with his draw that much is certain. if he played simon or davydenko early one he is already out probably. hes never ending luck can only continue for so long however.

yeah the grand slam giant davydenko who lost in 1st round lol and simon who lost to nadal in straight sets since his only fluke win in madrid :rolleyes: haters should feel lucky that Nadal isn't healthy. I'm jumping on the Murray-Nole bandwagon to win the title.

amaze
01-23-2011, 12:38 AM
Bad news for tennis indeed. I recall last time Rafa wasn't feeling healthy he was going through that incredible 11 months title-less period of his career. Let's hope it won't go as far this time and only mini-Slam will get sacrificed.:awww:

mgasol
01-23-2011, 12:42 AM
Bad news for tennis indeed. I recall last time Rafa wasn't feeling healthy he was going through that incredible 11 months title-less period of his career. Let's hope it won't go as far this time and only mini-Slam will get sacrificed.:awww:

this could well trigger another slump for nadal if he fails to complete his joke draw. i can see him being upset at the FO again and at wimby he will not be the favorite. tennis would be alive and healthy once more :)

Haasi
01-23-2011, 12:47 AM
Poor rafa... Maybe he has something...

@Sweet Cleopatra
01-23-2011, 01:01 AM
Why are you guys so mean, this is a serious issue, he may be ill, health is more important than any match.

mgasol
01-23-2011, 01:09 AM
Why are you guys so mean, this is a serious issue, he may be ill, health is more important than any match.

because nadal always has an excuse.

Tennis4you-com
01-23-2011, 01:14 AM

I guess if he shows to play then he is saying he is healthy enough to play.

@Sweet Cleopatra
01-23-2011, 01:24 AM
Excuse for what, he won the last 3 slams and if he loses Aus.Open, clay season is close and no one challenges him on clay so he doesn't need to make any excuse about AO. Rafa is actually worried about his health cause he sweats a lot and is losing weight. He is afraid he might have an illness so don't be mean.

nadal_slam_king
01-23-2011, 01:25 AM
this could well trigger another slump for nadal if he fails to complete his joke draw. i can see him being upset at the FO again and at wimby he will not be the favorite. tennis would be alive and healthy once more :)

He would need tendonitis flareups for that to happen. Maybe you should wish for that. Although you'd have to wish for his treatment to not work (it worked on both knees in 2010 and they haven't bothered him since).

mgasol
01-23-2011, 01:31 AM
He would need tendonitis flareups for that to happen. Maybe you should wish for that. Although you'd have to wish for his treatment to not work (it worked on both knees in 2010 and they haven't bothered him since).

if he doesnt win the AO that would be enough. it means the only record he cud get that fed doesnt have is down the drain. it would be a devastating blow to his morale on top of the mono. they say mono and mental setbacks dont go to well together..

@Sweet Cleopatra
01-23-2011, 01:37 AM
if he doesnt win the AO that would be enough. it means the only record he cud get that fed doesnt have is down the drain. it would be a devastating blow to his morale on top of the mono. they say mono and mental setbacks dont go to well together..

Rafa doesn't care about records and he respects Federer a lot, but he is going to have Roland Garros record :cool:

Topspindoctor
01-23-2011, 01:38 AM
He hasn't spent much time on court at all and it's still early in a slam. He'll recover. The main thing is that the sickness is gone, he'll just need to rebuild the energy he lost and his early matches were kind to him. I think he spent less than 5 hours in 3 matches, which is great considering there's a day off between matches. Hope he'll be better and more aggressive against Mugin tomorrow, who'll probably be feeling his tough 5 setter as well.

nadal_slam_king
01-23-2011, 01:40 AM

But if Rafa wins 8 Roland Garros titles (extremely likely, and then some) that overtakes the Sampras record of winning a slam 7 times. I can't see Federer ever winning 8 or 10 of a slam for that matter. I also can't see Federer retiring with more Masters than Rafa, given that Rafa delivers the clay shields every year and already has the record of 18 shields. I also can't see Federer ever winning Roland Garros, Wimbledon, US Open in the same year, no sir. I also think Rafa has a great shot at overtaking Sampras' record of weeks at number one and also the Federer total slams record, with Djokovic and Murray being the only contenders for a few more years, and they struggle to beat Rafa on clay/grass (they simply don't). So, if you're looking at it from the perspective of Federer's place in history vs Rafa, I don't like your chances.

Dmitry Verdasco
01-23-2011, 01:41 AM
Rafa is already a great warrior for going this far in the tournament, demolishing 3 highly fancied opponents with a fever. Rafa :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

croat123
01-23-2011, 01:48 AM
shocker...it's called water weight

Corey Feldman
01-23-2011, 02:02 AM
My arse

nobama
01-23-2011, 02:04 AM
My arsec'mon now PMac says cheater is brutally honest

but hey what better way to put the pressure on your opponent i mean who expects a sick person to win?

shiaben
01-23-2011, 02:08 AM
Mono, fever, injury, whatever obstacle it may be. Quite displeased to hear that :(:(

Things happen though, can't get everything your way.

I hope he can take some nice medicine or therapy and recover quickly.

It's not easy given how hot the weather is.

I really hope that this Nadal/Murray match won't be predetermined thanks to an obstacle :(, ruins the point.

Corey Feldman
01-23-2011, 02:10 AM
he has too-easy-a-drawitis

moon language
01-23-2011, 02:10 AM
shocker...it's called water weight

It would be shocking to lose that amount from a 2 and a half hour tennis match, especially considering players are constantly drinking on changeovers to prevent dehydration. But as I said before I think he's speaking more generally and not that he lost it during that one match.

mgasol
01-23-2011, 02:20 AM
But if Rafa wins 8 Roland Garros titles (extremely likely, and then some) that overtakes the Sampras record of winning a slam 7 times. I can't see Federer ever winning 8 or 10 of a slam for that matter. I also can't see Federer retiring with more Masters than Rafa, given that Rafa delivers the clay shields every year and already has the record of 18 shields. I also can't see Federer ever winning Roland Garros, Wimbledon, US Open in the same year, no sir. I also think Rafa has a great shot at overtaking Sampras' record of weeks at number one and also the Federer total slams record, with Djokovic and Murray being the only contenders for a few more years, and they struggle to beat Rafa on clay/grass (they simply don't). So, if you're looking at it from the perspective of Federer's place in history vs Rafa, I don't like your chances.

nice wishful thinking there. federer has too many records that nadal will never come close to. it is what it is. deal with it.

@Sweet Cleopatra
01-23-2011, 02:26 AM
nice wishful thinking there. federer has too many records that nadal will never come close to. it is what it is. deal with it.

Why do you think we dislike Federer, any way the thread is about Rafa and we are concerned about his health and not records right now.

brent-o
01-23-2011, 02:30 AM
I hope he feels better soon. The way he looked last night reminded me of Fed a couple of years ago here in his match versus Djokovic: sweaty and lethargic.

swebright
01-23-2011, 02:34 AM
I think somebody gave him a Mono. I wonder who kissed him. Mononucleosis = kissing disease.:devil:

Anyway, I think he is just making excuses; he will just beat up everybody on his way. Fed always covers his health issues; Rafa always broadcasts his health issues.

@Sweet Cleopatra
01-23-2011, 02:40 AM
i dunno. i guess cos federer is just so much better.

No, we are not that way, we respect Federer like all tennis fans.

TheBoiledEgg
01-23-2011, 02:42 AM
if you gonna finger yourself after each point and then sniff it, you're likely to get a virus
more excuses :yawn:

mgasol
01-23-2011, 02:58 AM
No, we are not that way, we respect Federer like all tennis fans.

maybe you do. typical dulltards dont though.

Kiedis
01-23-2011, 02:59 AM
From the Spanish press conference:

"I'm sweating a lot," Nadal said on Canal Plus Sport "The truth is that I'm getting tired than usual and have trouble throwing long. In Abu Dhabi was fine physically but with the virus that affected me in Doha I lost electricity makes me a better player."

In the press room, and dry, he continued: "I've changed five or six times-shirt and was not so hot. I lost two kilos and a half and I do not usually lose weight in games. Must be consequences of the disease. I suppose that after the flu earlier this year, my body will have been a tad lower than usual. I am a player who sweats when he is with anxiety. In such cases, sweat more. But there's no more anxiety, but I sweat the ciborium. And most worrying is that I get tired training. "

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/2011/01/22/tenis/1295690196.html

@Sweet Cleopatra
01-23-2011, 03:06 AM
maybe you do. typical dulltards dont though.

There will always be haters, you shouldn't care and enjoy tennis, Federer is playing now, watch the match and forget about haters and the forum, have fun, sport is for fun not fighting.

ariel2
01-23-2011, 03:08 AM
It's amusing to read the reactions here to his "illness". Rafa will find a way to push on even with the weakness. He's got access to the best doctors, he'll keep taking his fluids, getting his rub downs and sweat the damn thing out on court. He's numero uno and the toughest one out there. If anyone's going to get through this it's him. Ok, I'll leave you all to blabber on.

Monteque
01-23-2011, 03:17 AM

thumbs up

Kiedis
01-23-2011, 03:42 AM
My arse

Boredo wins a set. Reactions:

ive said it all week, Fed cannot play his game properly in these conditions

been going on for years and it wouldnt surprise me if he loses in 5 sets today

:rolleyes:

The Magician
01-23-2011, 04:12 AM
Very respectful from the humble champion Nadull to beat someone and straight sets and then complain about how sick he was :worship: What a respectful and good sportsman :o

Kiedis
01-23-2011, 04:42 AM
That's what I thought at first, but the phrasing was

"I've changed five or six times-shirt and was not so hot. I lost two kilos and a half and I do not usually lose weight in games. Must be consequences of the disease. I suppose that after the flu earlier this year, my body will have been a tad lower than usual. I am a player who sweats when he is with anxiety. In such cases, sweat more. But there's no more anxiety, but sudo the ciborium. And most worrying is that I get tired training."

Well I guess that's a bit sketchy as to whether he's expressing his surprise as if to say 'wow I lost weight on this match I just played, that never has happened before!' or whether he means its been happening in the 3 matches at AO, or what....not sure. He just seems really surprised as if he just discovered it. Plus he's not mentioned weight loss before.

This is taken from my trastalation of a spanish press conferece.
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=10706536#post10706536

I'm not going to charge you the copyright, so you can quote me without fear, boy :o

GlennMirnyi
01-23-2011, 05:00 AM
Acute excusitis. Somebody call the doctor, please, pronto!

Kiedis
01-23-2011, 05:06 AM
Your point is?

It's not very dificult to see my point. Nadal is having health issues -> He says "Excuses".
Then Federer is struggling with Boredo and he becomes a excuses machine and a fucking whiner

they are, they have made the balls heavier again at the request of the golden child of Manacor

why do you think Robredo and Almagro are in this round

Have you ever heard the word coherence?

Polikarpov
01-23-2011, 05:13 AM
When Nadal loses, there's already an excuse. But if he wins, "Damn, what a true Spartan this Nadal. Overcoming his terrible illness to complete the non-calendar slam."

Win-win.

Rita
01-23-2011, 05:15 AM
Have you heard the phrase staying on topic?

BlueSwan
01-23-2011, 05:22 AM
C'mon, this is not a "mystery illness". He had the flu in Doha yet still played through it. The flu will always drain your body of energy and it takes a week or two at least to regain it completely. This is obviously far from ideal when you're playing best of five set matches in scorching heat, so Nadal should consider himself extremely lucky that he didn't face tougher opposition in the first three rounds or he could have found himself far more drained than he is right now. The good news for Nadal is that he doesn't have the flu anymore and that he is likely to gain energy for every day that passes. Clearly this issue makes him more vulnerable, but he's still my favourite for the title.

Paylu2007
01-23-2011, 05:36 AM
When Nadal loses, there's already an excuse. But if he wins, "Damn, what a true Spartan this Nadal. Overcoming his terrible illness to complete the non-calendar slam."

Win-win.

I would say Whine-win :)

stupid excuses, that reminds me of Kuerten, always with injuries at RG and winning, yeah yeah, if u are ill, then retire and rest, dont go trying to get pity from ppl.

Jelena
01-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Excuse for what, he won the last 3 slams and if he loses Aus.Open, clay season is close and no one challenges him on clay so he doesn't need to make any excuse about AO. Rafa is actually worried about his health cause he sweats a lot and is losing weight. He is afraid he might have an illness so don't be mean.
Get over it, every time Nadal loses he HAS an excuse: "I'm oh so ill, my knees are paining so much," etc etc. I don't remember if he said once after a loss: "I lost simply because the other was better than me."

I already said it in the match thread of the Tomić match: Rafa seemed a bit slowlier to me than last year, so it obviously effects him. But if you are ill it's better to get out of a competition than to play further on, so yeah, he should have done that in Doha, but if he doesn't do that, then he shouldn't complain

scarecrows
01-23-2011, 07:50 AM
he's lost 14 games in 3 matches

give me some of that virus Rafa

Seingeist
01-23-2011, 07:57 AM
he's lost 14 games in 3 matches

give me some of that virus Rafa

:haha:

Mechlan
01-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Unnecessary to bring this up. If you're fit to play, show up and play. If not, don't.

nobama
01-23-2011, 08:21 AM
Unnecessary to bring this up. If you're fit to play, show up and play. If not, don't.Yep. Darren Cahill said he shouldn't have mentioned it in his post match press conference.

Commander Data
01-23-2011, 08:29 AM
M.O.N.O.

(from Federer)

Foxy
01-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Yep. Darren Cahill said he shouldn't have mentioned it in his post match press conference.

Do you imply he should have lied? He had a very unambiguous question.

_Chaz
01-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Nadal isn't even out of the tournament and all the tards are searching for excuses already :D

I don't mind when you start such threads after he's out (we're used to that) but not when he still has chances to win the tourney :o

And if he wins this AO, you all will say "Even ill Nadal won this AO! For sure the GOAT now!" :worship:

Gnomey
01-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Not really. Unlike Nadal, Fed said during the tournament that he was in good condition.

Fed always covers his health issues; Rafa always broadcasts his health issues.

And there's the difference. :rolleyes:

lazybear
01-23-2011, 09:11 AM

That's actually pretty normal, but yeah, he didn't look good. Hopefully he improved by now, wouldn't wanna see him losing because of a health problem.

FormerRafaFan
01-23-2011, 11:01 AM
I know he's not physically recovered from the virus yet, which is why I think he won't win AO :( Certainly hope he proves me wrong though!

Castafiore
01-23-2011, 11:03 AM
I don't think that both differ that much in this area. One talks about it sooner after the matches, the other waits a bit until he comes up with that sort of "bad back, not feeling too well, recovering from..." excuses.

They all do it. :shrug:

Langers
01-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Yeah, and after his losses his excuses always come out. Mono, bad back, leg issues. :rolleyes:

Castafiore
01-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Do you imply he should have lied? He had a very unambiguous question.
He could have dodged it more. Many believe that you should not bring up weaknesses, not feeling too well during tournaments. :shrug:

solowyn
01-23-2011, 11:15 AM
He could have dodged it more. Many believe that you should not bring up weaknesses, not feeling too well during tournaments. :shrug:
It is a bit strange to be so open about it while still in the tourny :lol: "Happy to beat Tomic in straights, I'm on the verge of death?"

Orka_n
01-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Ah, Nadal. Such a humble guy he is, right? Never comes up with excuses.
And such a spartan too for even playing through this obviously terminal sickness he got. Any normal mortal would have died by now, that much is clear.

Pathetic stuff from the world #1.

A_Skywalker
01-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Ah, Nadal. Such a humble guy he is, right? Never comes up with excuses.
And such a spartan too for even playing through this obviously terminal sickness he got. Any normal mortal would have died by now, that much is clear.

Pathetic stuff from the world #1.

He said he feels a bit tired, which is not normal for him.
Obviously you read what he meant very good...

paseo
01-23-2011, 12:22 PM
I don't think that both differ that much in this area. One talks about it sooner after the matches, the other waits a bit until he comes up with that sort of "bad back, not feeling too well, recovering from..." excuses.

They all do it. :shrug:

Yeah, and after his losses his excuses always come out. Mono, bad back, leg issues. :rolleyes:

The Nadal's method is smarter. Way smarter.

When Fed has problem, he just doesn't show and say it until he's out of the tournament. He just play like he's having a bad day. No injury timeouts, coughing on court or hitting his knee :D, etc. The opponent has no knowledge about it, and feels that he's playing better than Fed that day, which then gives him more confidence. If Fed wins the match, it's just a normal day. But when Fed finally reveal it, after a loss obviously, he looks like an arrogant mug spouting sour grapes. Naturally, he got criticized badly for it.

Nadal on the other hand, shows and says that he has a problem while he's still in the tournament. Now this actually affect his opponents. The pressure shifts from Nadal to his opponents. Cause everyone is thinking that the opponent should beat Nadal, Nadal is handicapped with a problem, how can you not beat him? And when Nadal show it on court (injury timeouts, etc.), the shift of pressure is even bigger. If Nadal wins, he get praises saying what a fighter he is. And if he loses, everyone will assume it was because he had a problem. He doesn't need to make excuses, cause everyone has made it for him. All he has to do is give compliments to his opponents, and everybody will praise him again for being gracious even after a loss. Naturally, he'll get more sympathy.

And what do all of this proves? In terms of strategy and PR, Nadal >>>>> Fed :D

Orka_n
01-23-2011, 12:22 PM
He said he feels a bit tired, which is not normal for him.
Obviously you read what he meant very good...Learn to read yourself.
Nadal: "Seems like after that my body is still not perfect."

If that's not an excuse for a possible upcoming loss, I don't know what is. Now get off my back.

A_Skywalker
01-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Learn to read yourself.
Nadal: "Seems like after that my body is still not perfect."

If that's not an excuse for a possible upcoming loss, I don't know what is. Now get off my back.

You wouldnt even go to work if you were that sick, it was obvious in Abu Dhabi. You would be leying in your bed, while that man played competitive tennis and won some matches. Ofcourse he is not perfectly fit. Unless you played with high fever some sport, dont talk cause you embarass yourself.

Kiedis
01-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Calm down, brooders! It was a flu and he is still is recovering from it, but he will be perfect just in time.

Arhaych
01-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Rafa will be like a poster child for the Ethopian famine if he keeps losing weight at this rate.

Orka_n
01-23-2011, 12:39 PM
You wouldnt even go to work if you were that sick, it was obvious in Abu Dhabi. You would be leying in your bed, while that man played competitive tennis and won some matches.Yes, because you know how I handle having fever. :worship: Just stop.
Ofcourse he is not perfectly fit. Unless you played with high fever some sport, dont talk cause you embarass yourself.You know who's embarrassing himself? The one who doesn't know that staying fit and healthy is part of the sport. Being in semi-bad shape should therefore never be used as an excuse. Can you understand that?
Also, I have played competitive sport during fever and pain several times. Don't think I'm you.
Now give me a break.

Zagor
01-23-2011, 12:51 PM

When Fed has problem, he just doesn't show and say it until he's out of the tournament. He just play like he's having a bad day. No injury timeouts, coughing on court or hitting his knee :D, etc. The opponent has no knowledge about it, and feels that he's playing better than Fed that day, which then gives him more confidence. If Fed wins the match, it's just a normal day. But when Fed finally reveal it, after a loss obviously, he looks like an arrogant mug spouting sour grapes. Naturally, he got criticized badly for it.

Nadal on the other hand, shows and says that he has a problem while he's still in the tournament. Now this actually affect his opponents. The pressure shifts from Nadal to his opponents. Cause everyone is thinking that the opponent should beat Nadal, Nadal is handicapped with a problem, how can you not beat him? And when Nadal show it on court (injury timeouts, etc.), the shift of pressure is even bigger. If Nadal wins, he get praises saying what a fighter he is. And if he loses, everyone will assume it was because he had a problem. He doesn't need to make excuses, cause everyone has made it for him. All he has to do is give compliments to his opponents, and everybody will praise him again for being gracious even after a loss. Naturally, he'll get more sympathy.

Bingo,excellent post.Nadal and Toni excel at making pre-emptive excuses and trying to create an illusion of an underdog/succeed against all odds environment in which Nadal thrives.It's really a win/win situation for them,If Nadal happens to lose the said player didn't "really" beat him but he was simply there at the right time and place to take advantage of Nadal being tired/sick/injuried(even if Nadal goes to play doubles right after the match)yet when Nadal wins he's such an amazing warrior who played through tremendous pain and overcame adversity due to his fighting spirit.I don't fault Rafa and Toni for doing that,it is well within their right to say whatever they want but it is quite hilarious with what ease his fanboys and media eat it up.

Federer on the other hand thrives when he's the untouchable favourite who's supposed to dominate every match he plays so he'll always talk big before/during tournament how he's in perfect shape,playing great,having great confidence,how talented he is etc. But then when he loses(especially in slams)he'll very bluntly say his true opinion on what happened out there and will come off as sore loser quite often.

That said I do think Nadal looked to be sweating more than usual and not moving as well as he normally does in his recent matches so I do believe the flu story to a degree.However is his condition really as serious as he makes it out to be? We'll probably find out soon enough.

blank_frackis
01-23-2011, 12:59 PM

You can say it puts more pressure on the opponent, but you could also say it gives them more belief. Most lower ranked players don't think they have a chance against Nadal and a lot change their natural game by trying to hit outlandish low percentage shots as a way to redress the balance. If they think they have more of a chance of winning then it makes things harder for Nadal.

Swings and roundabouts.

Kiedis
01-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Bingo,excellent post.Nadal and Toni excel at making pre-emptive excuses and trying to create an illusion of an underdog/succeed against all odds environment in which Nadal thrives.It's really a win/win situation for them,If Nadal happens to lose the said player didn't "really" beat him but he was simply there at the right time and place to take advantage of Nadal being tired/sick/injuried(even if Nadal goes to play doubles right after the match)yet when Nadal wins he's such an amazing warrior who played through tremendous pain and overcame adversity due to his fighting spirit.I don't fault Rafa and Toni for doing that,it is well within their right to say whatever they want but it is quite hilarious with what ease his fanboys and media eat it up.

Federer on the other hand thrives when he's the untouchable favourite who's supposed to dominate every match he plays so he'll always talk big before/during tournament how he's in perfect shape,playing great,having great confidence,how talented he is etc. But then when he loses(especially in slams)he'll very bluntly say his true opinion on what happened out there and will come off as sore loser quite often.

That said I do think Nadal looked to be sweating more than usual and not moving as well as he normally does in his recent matches so I do believe the flue story.However is his condition really as serious as he makes it out to be? We'll probably find out soon enough.

Clashes a bit with your theory that these statements were made in Spanish to a Spanish media. It's also clear that he has been losing weight (anyone can see in a photograph), he is sweating a lot, and his game lacks of "spark" right now. Anyway, that would be a very stupid tactic because something like that gives more confidence and strength to his opponents.

alfonsojose
01-23-2011, 01:39 PM
So this is the new Pocahontas' excuse. I'm a model, i'm losing weight. :lol:

Iván
01-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Any news on rafas state of health?

I heard he is still feeling the effects of the flee virus he catched out in the slums of dubai

This issue could be the deciding factor, i dont think he is over it yet.

The commentators mentioned it and his dad mentioned it in a recent radio interview

HDW
01-23-2011, 04:11 PM
I thought he was fine. :confused:

solowyn
01-23-2011, 04:25 PM
I thought he was fine. :confused:
2V9aNcMLOEE

Totally fiiiine.

fast_clay
01-23-2011, 04:51 PM
paseo :worship:

Yazoo.C
01-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Get well soon :hug:

ExpectedWinner
01-23-2011, 04:57 PM
:shrug: Why does he feel the need to tell? If he gained 2-5 pounds, he wouldn't go around telling everybody "I used to be 2-5 pounds lighter."

ZaZoo)
01-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Not 100% but still playing? If you're trying to find excuse, it's your own problem Rafa, every loss is fully legit as long as you compete.

guga2120
01-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Whatever the reason it is clear he is far from his US Open form. If he does not get back to that, no way he beats Andy.

Kiedis
01-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Not 100% but still playing? If you're trying to find excuse, it's your own problem Rafa, every loss is fully legit as long as you compete.

That's true and he has not said otherwise. Rafa has defeated many players sicked or injured before. He just says what is his current form. Illness and injuries are a part of professional sports :shrug:

Tennis4you-com
01-23-2011, 05:11 PM
It's not going to be an issue until he has to play Murray or Soderling. He has until then. That's a very long time to be sick, hopefully he will be fine by then.

Fedfanforever
01-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Oh please...he's just trying to make more excuses in case he loses. And then if he wins it's "he's so brave fighting through all his problems" If he was so sick, he shouldn't have played doubles. Injuries are part of the sport.
He needs to realize that everyone has problems. If he goes on court, then he's fit enough to play. Every loss counts no matter what.

Manequin75
01-23-2011, 06:36 PM
well - I was disappointed when I read Rafa's presser that he is not 100%. I thought he had receovered. But now after watching him play subpar tennis against Tomic and his less than ideal condition I lost interest in tennis for 24 hours. But now on the eve of Rafa's next match against Cilic Im exciated again and looking forward. I ahve cut back my expectations. Ok so we will not have a Rafa Slam. All right what the hell - life moves on. Hope Rafa recovers int ime for the clay season. :(

Magus13
01-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Here we go again and again and again and.......
On ESPN Cahill even said he shouldn't have gone there.

iriraz
01-23-2011, 07:03 PM
It's not going to be an issue until he has to play Murray or Soderling. He has until then. That's a very long time to be sick, hopefully he will be fine by then.

I think it will be an issue if he wins tomorrow and will have to play Ferrer.Lots of long rallies is the least Nadal needs if not completely fit.And winning easily against Ferrer is unlikely

FormerRafaFan
01-23-2011, 07:17 PM
I think it will be an issue if he wins tomorrow and will have to play Ferrer.Lots of long rallies is the least Nadal needs if not completely fit.And winning easily against Ferrer is unlikely

I think I'll try to take things as they come, and not being too pessimistic. Hopefully he'll get better day by day and win. I haven't lost hope yet.

Roger the Dodger
01-23-2011, 07:30 PM
So it wasn't mono as we suspected here?

habibko
01-23-2011, 07:42 PM
:yawn: :zzz:

croat123
01-23-2011, 07:48 PM
i guarentee he will be at 100% tonight :o he does this every major...it's getting old

swebright
01-23-2011, 07:52 PM
And today, he will beat the heck out of Cilic.

superslam77
01-23-2011, 07:54 PM
lies.

Allez
01-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Rafa will not jeopardise the rest of the season by competing unless he feels 100% able to go all the way. Last year he quit when he wasn't 100%. If he does not quit then one must assume he feels capable of going all the way and not only that, but by continuing to play, that whatever ailment he has will not have any adverse effects.

This is a non issue. If he defaults then we can have a discussion. Right now it only serves to give the tards a reason to lower expectations as if Rafa hasn't done that already by declaring a 29 year old Roger who hasn't been in a slam final for 12 months the favourite :haha:

I mean come on :rolleyes: Rafa is my 2nd fave and I would love to see him completing the Rafa Slam for historical reasons but this tard BS must stop ;)

Mjau!
01-23-2011, 08:45 PM
From the Spanish press conference:

"I'm sweating a lot," Nadal said on Canal Plus Sport "The truth is that I'm getting tired than usual and have trouble throwing long. In Abu Dhabi was fine physically but with the virus that affected me in Doha I lost electricity makes me a better player."

In the press room, and dry, he continued: "I've changed five or six times-shirt and was not so hot. I lost two kilos and a half and I do not usually lose weight in games. Must be consequences of the disease. I suppose that after the flu earlier this year, my body will have been a tad lower than usual. I am a player who sweats when he is with anxiety. In such cases, sweat more. But there's no more anxiety, but I sweat the ciborium. And most worrying is that I get tired training. "

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/2011/01/22/tenis/1295690196.html

Isn't that normal? Who doesn't get tired training? :rolleyes:

Rafa#Uno:-)
01-23-2011, 08:49 PM
wrong choice of shirt no breathing shirt
stupid rafa

FormerRafaFan
01-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Rafa will not jeopardise the rest of the season by competing unless he feels 100% able to go all the way. Last year he quit when he wasn't 100%. If he does not quit then one must assume he feels capable of going all the way and not only that, but by continuing to play, that whatever ailment he has will not have any adverse effects.

This is a non issue. If he defaults then we can have a discussion. Right now it only serves to give the tards a reason to lower expectations as if Rafa hasn't done that already by declaring a 29 year old Roger who hasn't been in a slam final for 12 months the favourite :haha:

I mean come on :rolleyes: Rafa is my 2nd fave and I would love to see him completing the Rafa Slam for historical reasons but this tard BS must stop ;)

It's a difference between being injured and being sick from a virus though..

DrJules
01-23-2011, 08:57 PM
From what I saw on Saturday I do feel Nadal is not at full health.

Can he recover in time for the semi-finals when he needs to be fully fit.

Kiedis
01-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Isn't that normal? Who doesn't get tired training? :rolleyes:

Professional athletes have three levels of training: preseason, between events and when they are playing. When they are competing don't training as hard to harm their competitive edge... I guess than Rafa is maintaining his usual training routines, but contrary to what used to happen, he still feel tired the next day and he don't recover from the soft effort, pherhaps because he has been sick recently.

ossie
01-23-2011, 09:29 PM
From what I saw on Saturday I do feel Nadal is not at full health.

Can he recover in time for the semi-finals when he needs to be fully fit.what exactly made you think he wasnt 100%, even top players can have an off day, a lot of things werent working for rafa but it doesnt mean hes sick or unfit plus tomic was really pushing him.

DrJules
01-23-2011, 09:32 PM
what exactly made you think he wasnt 100%, even top players can have an off day, a lot of things werent working for rafa but it doesnt mean hes sick or unfit plus tomic was really pushing him.

Comments made in interviews, observations of excessive sweating and the illness in Dubai with slow recovery time.

ossie
01-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Comments made in interviews, observations of excessive sweating and the illness in Dubai with slow recovery time.what about his first 2 matches where he looked perfectly fine, played well and was sweating a lot as well? the only reason people think hes ill (including rafa) is because he had a tough match. this is just taking away credit from tomic.

Corey Feldman
01-23-2011, 09:38 PM
virus? its so bad he'll only win 2, 2 and 3 then

Raferminator
01-23-2011, 09:48 PM
what exactly made you think he wasnt 100%, even top players can have an off day, a lot of things werent working for rafa but it doesnt mean hes sick or unfit plus tomic was really pushing him.

Didn't you see the match? I think others have stated this, but I will reiterate it. Rafa did not offer information on his health as an excuse out of the blue. All information came from answering questions the Press HAD to ask him post-match given how he looked during the match.

Anyone with eyes could see he was sweating buckets in a night match (from the first game of the point) during a short match, was breathing heavily after a couple of rallies, and looked sluggish all match. According to him after the match, he lost 2.5 kg in this match and is still suffering from the recovery effects of the flu he picked up at Doha. Check out some of the pictures of Rafa during the match...that should give you an idea of the reason for concern. It has been so obvious, that we should be able to tell whether he is feeling better when he plays Cilic simply by looking at him after a few games.

ossie
01-23-2011, 09:51 PM
rafa is not sick or injured people, if hes feeling tired its because of his stupid scheduling (playing tournament before ao while sick :rolleyes: ) and its his own fault and is no excuse, the game is the game, other players have these problems as well.

GlennMirnyi
01-23-2011, 11:15 PM

Win-win.

Yep. That has been his strategy since the start.

Get over it, every time Nadal loses he HAS an excuse: "I'm oh so ill, my knees are paining so much," etc etc. I don't remember if he said once after a loss: "I lost simply because the other was better than me."

Yep.

i guarentee he will be at 100% tonight :o he does this every major...it's getting old

It's older than Methuselah.

hablovah19
01-23-2011, 11:49 PM

My sentiments exactly. :lol:

Kiedis
01-23-2011, 11:59 PM

I already said it in the match thread of the Tomić match: Rafa seemed a bit slowlier to me than last year, so it obviously effects him. But if you are ill it's better to get out of a competition than to play further on, so yeah, he should have done that in Doha, but if he doesn't do that, then he shouldn't complain

I'm afraid you have very bad memory.

September 14, 2010, after win 3 grand slams in a row
http://news.oneindia.in/2010/09/14/dont-compare-federer-is-better-than-me-nadal.html

US Open 2008.

At the beginning:
What's about your knees?
"I am fine," Nadal said. "I feel very well physically."
http://www.nj.com/sports/njsports/index.ssf/2008/09/us_open_nadals_knees_no_longer.html

Murray defeated Nadal
"It's part of the game, no? He play better than me and he beat me. I had my chances. If you remember I had 3-1, love-30, no? So I had a big chance in that moment of the match.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/usopen/2707880/New-York-laments-Rafael-Nadals-US-Open-exit-Tennis.html

Australian Open 2008

Rafa is defeated by Tsonga
"We have to accept today he played unbelievable," Nadal said. "Playing the ball very hard every time, serving unbelievable. In the backhand he didn't miss not one. Forehand, every time he does the forehand was a winner, so congratulate him. That's it."
http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2008-01-24/l.php

careergrandslam
01-24-2011, 12:43 AM
Never in doubt.

whenever nadal gets close to achieving something historic, some shit always happens.

oh well atleast u tried rafa.

good luck at the french open rafa.

congratulations roger on ur 17th slam title!

careergrandslam
01-24-2011, 12:48 AM
just quit the sport rafa, everything and everybody is conspiring against u every year.

tests
01-24-2011, 12:59 AM
this careergrandslam guy, and all the other nadal fans seriously have no BALLS. Stop being such pussies and wimps, NADAL IS NOT GOING TO LOSE THIS AUSTRALIAN OPEN. WHEN NADAL GETS the chance to accomplish historic things, he accomplishes them. Remeber he was never supposed to win the USO? guess what happened.

Nadal might be sick, but i really think hes overplaying it on purpose. He is a very very smart and clever person (along with uncle toni and his magic) and he will make sure ALL THE PRESSURE is off him. If he is considered sick and blah blah blah, the media will annoint federer the favorite or murray the favorite. Well guess what? Nadal thrives when hes the underdog. sick or not, i dont see anyone except murray beating nadal. If nadal makes it to the final, even if he has a 105 degree fever, chokovic, berdbytch, or chokederer aint beating him.

True story.

Zagor
01-24-2011, 01:12 AM
Never in doubt.

whenever nadal gets close to achieving something historic, some shit always happens.

oh well atleast u tried rafa.

good luck at the french open rafa.

congratulations roger on ur 17th slam title!

LMAO! Fed was 1 out of 4 in slams last year and he faced Nadal ZERO times in a best of five match,Nadal is hardly Fed's biggest problem these days.Heck it remains to be seen whether he'll even pass Stan let alone go all the way.

Manequin75
01-24-2011, 01:38 AM
this careergrandslam guy, and all the other nadal fans seriously have no BALLS. Stop being such pussies and wimps, NADAL IS NOT GOING TO LOSE THIS AUSTRALIAN OPEN. WHEN NADAL GETS the chance to accomplish historic things, he accomplishes them. Remeber he was never supposed to win the USO? guess what happened.

Nadal might be sick, but i really think hes overplaying it on purpose. He is a very very smart and clever person (along with uncle toni and his magic) and he will make sure ALL THE PRESSURE is off him. If he is considered sick and blah blah blah, the media will annoint federer the favorite or murray the favorite. Well guess what? Nadal thrives when hes the underdog. sick or not, i dont see anyone except murray beating nadal. If nadal makes it to the final, even if he has a 105 degree fever, chokovic, berdbytch, or chokederer aint beating him.

True story.

i think careergrandslam is simply an anti-jinxer and he doesnt exactly beleive what he posts. But I dont agree with your hypothesis either. Rafa speaks straight out. ANd if you have observed rafa play you would have noticed stuff with his body in the last match which instigated the question from the reporter. Besides the sweating, movement, power on his shots even subtle things like his body language celeberating some great winners. During the USO he was VAMOSING with his patented fist pump with knee in the air. Now its just a quick fist pump - too exhausted to expend any energy. (just one minor point I agree but as hardcore rafa fans we have taken note)

The real story is that confidence of many rafa fans has dipped and hope has replaced quite a bit of it. The believe lives on but some fear has crept in about Rafa Slam, his conditioning, rest of the season etc. Thats the true no?

oranges
01-24-2011, 01:40 AM
Someone needs to run a headline 'Only pussies make excuses in advance'. Several preferably. Just shut up and play. If you're actually forced to retire or withdraw, then talk. All these preemptive strategies have gotten old long, long ago.

KingCrimson
01-24-2011, 02:03 AM
Saying you're sick is a win-win situation. If you lose, blame your illness. If you win, the media is supposed to be that much more impressed that you won despite the ailment. It's a really disgusting strategy.

Start da Game
01-24-2011, 05:13 AM
Someone needs to run a headline 'Only pussies make excuses in advance'. Several preferably. Just shut up and play. If you're actually forced to retire or withdraw, then talk. All these preemptive strategies have gotten old long, long ago.

nadal lost the match of a tournament which is the closest to his heart, the french open........did he say his knee was killing him? he said he dropped the balls short and that made it easy for soderling but he did not hesitate to appreciate soderling unlike federina who simply refused to give any credit whatsoever to djokovic in 2008........

nadal only talked about his knee injury after he decided to skip wimbledon, as a reason for his absence in the tournament and NOT as an excuse for his loss at FO.......that's how humble champions are........

funny that people are ready to believe federina's whorecries AFTER the defeats to djokovic in 2008(i had mono you know), to nadal in 2009(i had backache you know), to del potro in 2009(backache sort of hit me again you know during the USO and the closing stage of 2009 you know)........

but the same people are not ready to believe nadal's statements which were made BEFORE the match was even played.......federina like a cunning fox did not say a single word before any of those matches she lost, she only cried later.......that's what constitutes an excuse, not when a player says before the match itself that he is being bothered by an issue.......do you think nadal is an idiot to let his opponents know BEFORE the match that he is being hampered by issues? unless there is something very serious, he wouldn't normally open his mouth........

nadal never says BEFORE THE MATCHES "i can beat him you know, i know what his game is", "i know that the match is on my racket when i am playing well" and AFTER THE MATCHES "i had mono you know", "i had backache you know"........there is only one player who does that and it is federina THE QUEEN OF EXCUSES........

oranges
01-24-2011, 05:25 AM
Go fucking whine, make excuses and whatever else is on repertoire somewhere else.

Mr. Oracle
01-24-2011, 05:34 AM
Saying you're sick is a win-win situation. If you lose, blame your illness. If you win, the media is supposed to be that much more impressed that you won despite the ailment. It's a really disgusting strategy.

^^^ Yes this. I'm a nadal fan but if I were him, I'd let the sweaty shirt speak for itself. That kind of sweating is not normal for him.

Start da Game
01-24-2011, 05:38 AM
Go fucking whine, make excuses and whatever else is on repertoire somewhere else.

this is what truth does to people........enrages them and makes them lose clarity of thought and patience........

oranges
01-24-2011, 05:46 AM
this is what truth does to people........enrages them and makes them lose clarity of thought and patience........

No this is what eternal excuses do to people, they come to a point to say just shut up, no one wants to listen anymore and that goes both for him and his tards. Pussies. Can't take a single loss like a man, can't handle being the favorite and rather stuff someone else with the pressure. Spartan my ass. Pussy.

Start da Game
01-24-2011, 05:56 AM
No this is what eternal excuses do to people, they come to a point to say just shut up, no one wants to listen anymore and that goes both for him and his tards. Pussies. Can't take a single loss like a man, can't handle being the favorite and rather stuff someone else with the pressure. Spartan my ass. Pussy.

it's a universal truth that nadal is a spartan, his fans are spartan brigade........case closed.......

green25814
01-24-2011, 05:59 AM
If Rafa is seriously ill, he should withdraw.

shiaben
01-24-2011, 06:00 AM

Listen mate, don't hate Nadal, hate the fanboys who make up whiny excuses.

I'm a Nadal follower (watch his matches, but I'm a Federer fan since 2001), not every Nadal fan is a fanboy, fanboys in all sports are cancerous, pozdrav brate.

Arkulari
01-24-2011, 06:06 AM

I'm a Nadal follower (watch his matches, but I'm a Federer fan since 2001), not every Nadal fan is a fanboy, fanboys in all sports are cancerous, pozdrav brate.

couldn't agree more :yeah:

oranges
01-24-2011, 07:28 AM

Well, in this case, it's not just the fanboys. Hence, it goes to both addresses. Extremely lame preemptive excuse and pitiful move to shift the pressure from himself. It won't be the last either. Withdraw from a 250 if you're sick, withdraw from doubles in the same MM tournament, live with the consequence of your decisions and take both your position as favorite and losses, before or after the match, like a man. He'll come like a raging bull on court today, yet some hours before we're supposed to listen to these woes. http://planetsmilies.net/vomit-smiley-27.gif

I'm neither a fan nor a hater of either of the two and I very rarely indulge in these personal criticisms, but I retain the right to voice my opinion when I deem it merited, thank you. This is one of those cases.

Castafiore
01-24-2011, 07:31 AM

:lol: What a convo.

Oranges, you're letting the trolls get to you. (no offence) Put them on ignore because some of them are enjoying riling people up and seeing that it works will only encourage them.

The thread title is another fine example of blowing things out of proportion. Nadal was NOT physically drained and neither did he indicate as such.

Mr. Oracle
01-24-2011, 07:43 AM
Just saw the prematch interview with rafa. Admitted to still being sick. Commentator pointed out that it may not be the best thing to do. I would have said "I am here to play and not talk about my health - I am ready to play." PERIOD. Many players these days feel that they need to answer every question in depth with no censorship at all. Not sure why that is.

Castafiore
01-24-2011, 07:51 AM
Just saw the prematch interview with rafa. Admitted to still being sick. Commentator pointed out that it may not be the best thing to do. I would have said "I am here to play and not talk about my health - I am ready to play." PERIOD.
Agreed.

The Magician
01-24-2011, 08:03 AM
Nadull looks really sick out there, already up a break. Maybe his disease is a parasite that gives you superhuman strength :lol:

tests
01-24-2011, 08:34 AM
LOL, omg this nadal plays so good when hes sick!

ZakMcCrack
01-24-2011, 10:18 AM
At least the organisers are going easy on Rafa by not exposing him to the heat of the sun all too often :o

A_Skywalker
01-24-2011, 10:39 AM
At least the organisers are going easy on Rafa by not exposing him to the heat of the sun all too often :o

At least the organisers are giving Federer 1 day rest more(if he makes the final) than Nadal

MarioMega
01-24-2011, 10:52 AM
At least the organisers are giving Federer 1 day rest more(if he makes the final) than Nadal

When Federina was the number 1 seed (2009), he had one more day.

Now Rafa is the first seed and besides that, Federina got the extra day.

Look at Federina's draw.

These clowns just see what they want.

ZakMcCrack
01-24-2011, 10:53 AM

Dude, funny how you guys always swoop down like vultures - don't be so freaking overprotective. I just had to vent my displeasure due to the scheduling as I won't be able to get up at 02:30 at night:zzz:

Langers
01-24-2011, 11:00 AM

Look at Federina's draw.

Agreed, it's a disgrace that this has happened, and the tournament organisers picking their favourite and giving him the best shot at winning.

Action Jackson
01-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Good to see the excuses are ready.

Topspindoctor
01-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Nadull looks really sick out there, already up a break. Maybe his disease is a parasite that gives you superhuman strength :lol:

Even when sick he can routine a mug like Cilic :wavey:

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 11:05 AM
The US Open serve has returned, and the court coverage is flawlessly supporting it. Nothing stopping Rafa now :D

MarioMega
01-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Even when sick he can routine a mug like Cilic :wavey:

Exactly.

Imagine if Dolgo crushes Mugray...
How much these clowns will cry...

"Cake draw, joke draw, ...."

I will enjoy a lot if Dolgo do this.
Just to come here and look the clowns agonizing...

lol

nobama
01-24-2011, 11:34 AM
At least the organisers are going easy on Rafa by not exposing him to the heat of the sun all too often :oOf course they won't make him play during the day. The courts are slower at night. :D

nobama
01-24-2011, 11:36 AM
At least the organisers are giving Federer 1 day rest more(if he makes the final) than NadalHe played first b/c he was in the same half as Hewitt. Are you suggesting the organizers rigged the draw so Fed and Hewitt were in the same half?

NadalesDios
01-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Of course they won't make him play during the day. The courts are slower at night. :D

Is the nº1, he's earned it

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Here's the latest on the virus:
MELBOURNE, Jan 24 (Reuters) - Top seed Rafa Nadal pummelled Croatia’s Marin Cilic into submission with a brutish 6-2 6-4 6-3 victory to reach the Australian Open quarter-finals on Monday.

Nadal’s win under the Melbourne floodlight kept alive the world number one’s bid to become only the third man, and first since 1969, to hold all four grand slam titles at once.

The Spaniard looked far sharper than in his first three matches, hustling to chase down balls and rifling them back past 15th seed Cilic, before striking his trademark gunslinger’s pose with a bellowing cry of “Vamos!”

The first set was over in a blur for Cilic, a sitting duck for Nadal as he attempted to slug it out toe-to-toe, only to get passed time and again by the 2009 champion.

Nadal took the second by forcing Cilic into another wild forehand and bulldozed over the finish line when his shattered opponent dumped a second serve halfway up the net after two hours and 31 minutes.

:yeah:

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Of course they won't make him play during the day. The courts are slower at night. :D

Actually he played his first 2 matches in day session, and usually the top seed gets a night session early. So Rafa kind of missed out on the night sessions (and of course got it in round 3 vs Aussie). He certainly deserves them in the 2nd week.

A_Skywalker
01-24-2011, 11:47 AM
He played first b/c he was in the same half as Hewitt. Are you suggesting the organizers rigged the draw so Fed and Hewitt were in the same half?

OMG....

Tenez2010
01-24-2011, 11:47 AM

Look at Federina's draw.

Nadal was number 1 seed in 2009 AO :devil:. In AO #2 seed plays the semis on Thursday and #1 seed plays the semi on Friday.

ZakMcCrack
01-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Here's the latest on the virus:

:yeah:

Virus wasn't even mentioned in passing...guess it's already a perennial attribute of Nadal then, hum? :aplot:

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Virus wasn't even mentioned in passing...guess it's already a perennial attribute of Nadal then, hum? :aplot:

I don't know what HUM means but I don't like it. Either way, Rafa isn't being restricted by the virus, it is a non-factor.

nobama
01-24-2011, 11:51 AM
OMG....:confused: US Open schedule revolves around Roddick; AO caters to Hewitt.

nobama
01-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Actually he played his first 2 matches in day session, and usually the top seed gets a night session early. So Rafa kind of missed out on the night sessions (and of course got it in round 3 vs Aussie). He certainly deserves them in the 2nd week.Of course they gave him day matches early on when he had easier matches. :D

A_Skywalker
01-24-2011, 11:53 AM
:confused: US Open schedule revolves around Roddick; AO caters to Hewitt.

Hewitt was in Nadal's half, thats why I said OMG.
It's obvious Federer plays first not because Hewitt is in his half...

MarioMega
01-24-2011, 11:58 AM

Don't try to tell the truth do Fed fans, they are all delusionals.

TheRafaelNadal
01-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Nadal doesn't need to be healthy to win unless he is really really sick

Roamed
01-24-2011, 12:33 PM
This thread:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2druow0.gif

The schedule is erratic year-on-year, at the end of the day they all have the opportunity to spend the same time on court and it's up to them to win in straights/4/5. If they can't deal with the schedule then they don't deserve to win.

robiht
01-24-2011, 12:34 PM
The virus has gone...
He recovered finally,thanks to the easy draw, so he can reach the finals :)

Art&Soul
01-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Nah, The virus will be back when he lose again...

nobama
01-24-2011, 12:47 PM
It's obvious Federer plays first not because Hewitt is in his half...my bad. :o :o :o

Anyway why does it matter? Cheater had no problem winning in 2009 when he started second. The only tournament where scheduling can really screw a player is the USO, IMO.

rofe
01-24-2011, 12:57 PM
What happened to Nadal's virus induced "tiredness"? Oh right, Nadal is a spartan. Silly me. :rolleyes:

It is time Nadal started behaving like a tennis ambassador.

Raiden
01-24-2011, 01:03 PM
The virus has gone...
He recovered finally,thanks to the easy draw, so he can reach the finals :)The virus's gone. But a new virus infection is planned for the semifinal :p (depending on whether it's gonna be a super Murray or Mugray/Dolgo who will appear on the other side of the net)

swebright
01-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Uninjured and unill now. tafa, Murray and Novak haven't dropped a set.

Manequin75
01-24-2011, 01:57 PM
What happened to Nadal's virus induced "tiredness"? Oh right, Nadal is a spartan. Silly me. :rolleyes:

It is time Nadal started behaving like a tennis ambassador.

LOL. Some of you guys are funny. Cheers me up on a lousy morning.

GlennMirnyi
01-24-2011, 02:39 PM
The excusitis is getting acuter by the second. :o

Roger the Dodger
01-24-2011, 02:48 PM
The virus's gone. But a new virus infection is planned for the semifinal :p (depending on whether it's gonna be a super Murray or Mugray/Dolgo who will appear on the other side of the net)

If Murray shows up instead of Mugray, I don't expect Nadal to play the same cards twice in a row. He's too smart for that. If he loses, he's going to go down like the 'humble champ' losing like he did in Rotterdam; rest assured, he wont forfeit like AO 10.

FormerRafaFan
01-24-2011, 02:50 PM
How do we know he has recovered from the virus? I still don't think he looks as sharp as he did during USO. It may be that he just isn't as good now as he was then, or it may be that the virus is still affecting him, even if it is just a little bit. I still think he sweats a lot too.. though the shirt obviously has to take a part of the blame. The people working over at Nike should be fired!:o

abraxas21
01-24-2011, 03:02 PM
vamos excuses!!!

this is 70% why i dislike pocahontas

paseo
01-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Uninjured and unill now. tafa, Murray and Novak haven't dropped a set.

Didn't Djokovic lost a set to Dodig?

Zagor
01-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Virus is put on hold at the moment but is set to reappear if Murray happens to catch fire in SF(assuming he gets past Dolgo first).

cutesteve22
01-24-2011, 03:55 PM
cheater always cheats

peribsen
01-24-2011, 04:32 PM
By now I'm aware that MTF is fool of (same), but I'm surprised about how many of you don't seem to have heard of the common cold.

duong
01-24-2011, 04:48 PM

an Australian explained last year that in Australia, they always make Hewitt play the second day, in order to be more sure that he plays his third round on saturday.

That's why Hewitt's half always plays second (see previous years it was the same)

In the US Open, it's the opposite : Roddick's half plays first ... also to let Roddick play on saturday.
Once again check it : it's always like that.

Because as you may know, in the US Open, the first round lasts three days, then the third round starts on saturday.

In Australia, the first round lasts two days, then the third round starts on friday and second half plays on saturday.

You can book it for next years, even if Roddick and Hewitt are getting older then their factor might decrease, esp in Australia if Tomic confirms and becomes a good player this year.

There are rules like that, like in the WTF everything depends on Murray, as Judio explains, in Wimbledon of course it depends on the winner last year.

In Roland-Garros, it may mostly depend on the French players, esp last year the French federation wanted Tsonga play the first sunday for the public despite he didn't want to.

alfonsojose
01-24-2011, 04:51 PM
vamos excuses!!!

this is 70% why i dislike pocahontas
:p :yeah:

Roger the Dodger
01-24-2011, 04:53 PM
an Australian explained last year that in Australia, they always make Hewitt play the second day, in order to be more sure that he plays his third round on saturday.

That's why Hewitt's half always plays second (see previous years it was the same)

In the US Open, it's the opposite : Roddick's half plays first ... also to let Roddick play on saturday.
Once again check it : it's always like that.

Because as you may know, in the US Open, the first round lasts three days, then the third round starts on saturday.

In Australia, the first round lasts two days, then the third round starts on friday.

You can book it for next years, even if Roddick and Hewitt are getting older then their factor might decrease, esp in Australia if Tomic confirms and becomes a good player this year.

Audience matters. Nice observations here in this post.

I can guarantee you, next Aussie Open would spin around Tomic. Expect him to enter the top 50-80 this year for sure.

tangerine_dream
01-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Damn. Rafa couldn't fake out anybody. Y'all too smart.

ExpectedWinner
01-24-2011, 05:25 PM
How do we know he has recovered from the virus?

We don't know. This virus is called "post- loss illness syndrome." About 5 minutes or later after a loss, a patient starts experiencing sharp pain all over the body, especially in the a$$, dizziness, extensive sweating, weight loss, crying, hallucinations, problems concentrating and remembering things. It's not a popular illness, don't expect Pfizer to take any notice of it. The solution to this problem is to abstain from tennis; fancy vacations, relaxing activities like boating and fishing. In most severe cases treatment might include Spanish biscuits and creative "blood spinning" therapy.

duong
01-24-2011, 05:30 PM
I have something to add about the debate "Nadal playing second half" :

for him it has been so far better this way, because against Cilic he played in a rather cool day whereas previous day was very hot (which made the balls "fly" in Fed's match against Robredo)

Tomorrow the weather will also be hot (but less hot than on sunday)

For Nadal it's better when it's cool because the conditions are much slower in Australian open when the weather is cold, and also in night sessions of course (then Cilic had no solution against him)

Also it's probably better for his transpiration.

I'm certain he would prefer to play Ferrer in night session (in day session against Ferrer it could be a tough match if he suffers from transpiration), which he will maybe be able to, since Söderling is out of the tournament : Nadal-Ferrer may be preferred for night session to Murray-Dolgopolov (even if Murray has not played in night session yet then they might give it to him at last), whereas Murray-Söderling would for sure have had the night session.

Then so far it's been rather lucky for Nadal.

Unfortunately for him cool temperatures might not last until the very end : according to the weather forecast the weather is expected to be very hot next sunday, which would be good for his opponent (esp Federer but also Djokovic or Berdych or Wawrinka), esp as the final is in night session.

Anyway I think it's good to look at the weather in Australia : it's the place where the conditions change most depending on the weather and day sessions/night sessions.

For instance Federer prefers playing in night sessions when it's hot (not cold like against Simon), and in day sessions when it's cool (when it's cool the conditions are great for him in day session like against Lacko where he played great ; when it's hot the balls "fly" which he doesn't like, like against Robredo this year and against Andreev and Montanes previous year ; the weather for Fed-Wawrinka is expected to be warmer than yesterday but not as hot as against Robredo ... and unfortunately for him Wawrinka will probably not like if the balls "flying" as well, and hot weather will favor Fed's serve).

valexie03
01-24-2011, 05:33 PM
We don't know. This virus is called "post- loss illness syndrome." About 5 minutes or later after a loss, a patient starts experiencing sharp pain all over the body, especially in the a$$, dizziness, extensive sweating, weight loss, crying, hallucinations, problems concentrating and remembering things. It's not a popular illness, don't expect Pfizer to take any notice of it. The solution to this is to abstain from tennis, fancy vacations, relaxing activities like boating and fishing. In most severe cases treatment might include Spanish biscuits and creative "blood spinning" therapy.

http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Rires/rire-20060614.gif

GlennMirnyi
01-24-2011, 05:41 PM
We don't know. This virus is called "post- loss illness syndrome." About 5 minutes or later after a loss, a patient starts experiencing sharp pain all over the body, especially in the a$$, dizziness, extensive sweating, weight loss, crying, hallucinations, problems concentrating and remembering things. It's not a popular illness, don't expect Pfizer to take any notice of it. The solution to this problem is to abstain from tennis, fancy vacations, relaxing activities like boating and fishing. In most severe cases treatment might include Spanish biscuits and creative "blood spinning" therapy.

They'll delete your post but I love it anyway. ;)

nobama
01-24-2011, 05:43 PM
We don't know. This virus is called "post- loss illness syndrome." About 5 minutes or later after a loss, a patient starts experiencing sharp pain all over the body, especially in the a$$, dizziness, extensive sweating, weight loss, crying, hallucinations, problems concentrating and remembering things. It's not a popular illness, don't expect Pfizer to take any notice of it. The solution to this problem is to abstain from tennis, fancy vacations, relaxing activities like boating and fishing. In most severe cases treatment might include Spanish biscuits and creative "blood spinning" therapy.:speakles:

Start da Game
01-24-2011, 05:43 PM
They'll delete your post but I love it anyway. ;)

talking from experience?

Nole Rules
01-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Murray will feel sorry for his sick idol when he crashs him in semis.:awww:

DrJules
01-24-2011, 05:50 PM
We will know when Nadal plays Murray if he has recovered. Obviously if Nadal loses he must be ill.:devil:

GlennMirnyi
01-24-2011, 05:52 PM
talking from experience?

Yep.

The truth hurts.

ps to the mods: I'm not talking about this particular, posts, I'm just generalising.