Ferrer flying under the radar... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ferrer flying under the radar...

Horatio Caine
01-22-2011, 06:59 PM
I have watched a good chunk of the coverage of the Australian Open and read many responses on here, and I find it interesting that few talk about his chances of going deep here.

He has only dropped one set so far, although I suppose you could argue that his opponents have been ideal (Nieminen carrying an injury). Raonic up next could be tricky, but if we assume that he wins that then he is into the QF...to possibly face a sub-par Rafa. Considering his high-intensity game, I think it is possible that he could run Nadal into the ground, assuming that Cilic doesn't finish the job first.

Even if he plays Cilic in the QF he has a chance.

What are your views on his tournament so far, and his chances of going further? :)

Sapeod
01-22-2011, 07:00 PM
He has a great chance to reach the semi-finals. Nadal is playing horribly and Ferrer is playing great.
I hope he beats Nadal and sets up a meeting with Murray. That would be a good match.

Yves.
01-22-2011, 07:05 PM
He certainly has his chances

GlennMirnyi
01-22-2011, 07:07 PM
0 chance.

Ferrer has just had an easy draw.

romismak
01-22-2011, 07:08 PM
I donīt think he has chance against Nadal. Yes Rafa isnīt playing his best but donīt forget he always step up to the next level of his game how the tournament is going- the same was at Wimbledon last yer. He was struggling with Petszchner or Haase 5 sets, and than in SF he beat 3:0 Murray and in final destroyed Berdych. So in QF against Ferrer he would play better and Ferrer like all Spaniards is affraid of Nadal- last time he beat him in 2007 WTF in Shanghai on hard, 2007 season was Ferrer best season and Rafa on hard in 2007 still wasnīt so good like today. In potential QF Nadal-Ferrer I will say 3:0 for Nadal without even tie-break. And match against Cilic we will see but Cilic would have more chances on best of 3- i just canīt imagine Cilic to take Nadal 3:0 or 3:1, and if they will go to 5th set- Rafa will be better, fitter, quicker... so Cilic must tike him in 4 sets and that seems to be almos impossible, but we will see what happened.

tennizen
01-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Yeah, Ferrer's going to be really tough for Rafito to get past.

HDW
01-22-2011, 07:12 PM
He has no chance of getting to the Semis, Nadal will easily take care of him.

LinkMage
01-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Ferrer will bend over for his compatriot as usual.

Allez
01-22-2011, 07:14 PM
If by going deep you mean getting to the quarters then yes he has a fantastic chance of getting there. He isn't progressing beyond the quarters unless Cilic can pull the mother of all upsets by taking Nadal out next. Given the titanic struggle Cilic's just come through he hasn't a prayer against Nadal so that's a moot point. Ferrer last beat Nadal in 2007 and I think that is the way it will always stay.

Tennis4you-com
01-22-2011, 07:16 PM
I think he will be done when he faces a big wig. Sadly I think his chances are minimal of beating a top seed let alone beating 2.

Blackbriar
01-22-2011, 07:17 PM
The Master was too horrible for David. He can not beat Nadal unless the last has influenza.

Sapeod
01-22-2011, 07:19 PM
He has no chance of getting to the Semis, Nadal will easily take care of him.
Yes, he does.

Nadal is playing horrible, even more than usual.
Ferrer doesn't bend over anyone :retard:

Kiedis
01-22-2011, 07:29 PM

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/images/calpuck/smilies/crap.gif How many times Ferrer has defeated Federer?

LinkMage
01-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Ferrer doesn't bend over anyone :retard:

You will see in the QFs.

Too bad we can't switch Ferrer with Murray in the draw.

QF: Murray
SF: Soderling

This would be a decent draw for Rafito.

GlennMirnyi
01-22-2011, 07:38 PM
He's flying so low under the radar he'll soon crash out of the tournament. :)

Li Ching Yuen
01-22-2011, 07:41 PM
He has a plenty of chances.

To get straight-setted by Rafa once more.

Horatio Caine
01-22-2011, 08:46 PM
He has a great chance to reach the semi-finals. Nadal is playing horribly and Ferrer is playing great.
I hope he beats Nadal and sets up a meeting with Murray. That would be a good match.

SoderKing might have something to say about that. ;)

Tbh I think Muzza would beat Ferru comfortably.

It's tough to know what Nadal's real level is. I, like others, would expect him to raise his game for the Cilic match, if he has the physical reserves to be able to do it. If he somehow makes the SF and isn't in much better form than he was in today, Muzza will work him over.

:ras: Gu

He will not be crashing from a great height at 5'9.

We'll see. I'd hate to tell you so...

Certinfy
01-22-2011, 08:50 PM
No.

Orka_n
01-22-2011, 09:42 PM
He will never beat Nadal. :shrug:

Tennis4you-com
01-22-2011, 09:44 PM

I think Nadal would need to be having an absolutely awful day to lose to Ferrer. I hate to be mean but Ferrer just does not have the fire power to challenge Nadal in a best of 5 match up at a slam.

Sapeod
01-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Haters! Why is everyone saying he bends over for Nadull?
He doesn't, haters, he doesn't.
He fights and fights (unlike Verdasco, Lopez and other Spaniards) and tries his best to beat Nadull.
It's just too bad that Nadull is usually too hard to beat, his moonballs make Ferrer lose.

Hope this helps, haters.

Horatio Caine
01-22-2011, 09:49 PM

...apart from the 3 occasions when he has? :scratch:

Granted, one of the wins was in their first meeting when Rafa was only an upstart, but he beat him twice on hard courts in the space of 4 months in 2007, when Rafa was an undisputed world #2.

Unless Rafa raises his level, I don't see why Ferrer cannot hustle him out of the tournament. He won't overpower him, but he would surely back his own fitness levels over a sick Rafa's. :shrug:

Pics is being seriously underestimated. :sad: :confused:

Orka_n
01-22-2011, 10:23 PM
...apart from the 3 occasions when he has? :scratch:I meant if they meet in the quarters obviously. :P

Fine, I'll rephrase. I, Orka_n, find it enormously unlikely that David "Pics:sad::confused:" Ferrer will defeat Rafael Nadal in the QF of the 2011 Australian Open - provided they both win their R4 match, that is.

Hey, I would love to be wrong about this.

jmf07
01-22-2011, 11:34 PM
IMO Soderling is the one flying under the radar as long as Melbourne doesn't get any heatwaves. Ferrer is too but his fate rests on how well Rafa is playing assuming Pics gets past Raonic.

mgasol
01-22-2011, 11:46 PM
nadals cakewalk into another slams semi continues. at least murray is in his half, so given murray doesnt choke like he usually does nadal will have at least one decent opponent before the final. if he cant even make the finals here he shud consider playing only on natural surfaces for the remainder of his career for his knees.

bayvalle
01-23-2011, 01:50 AM

All Spanish players are deemed sacrificial lambs to Rafito's personal ambitions - remember how Verdasco practically bestowed to Rafa the semifinals slot at last US Open? As for Ferrer, one may find it difficult to imagine him now winning over Nadal and not being ostracized afterwards by Nadal's favorite uncle and by the whole Spanish contingent. David might even be summoned by the Spanish King to explain. These Spaniards.

malisha
01-23-2011, 02:23 AM

:lol:

mgasol
01-23-2011, 02:29 AM
the talentless one will gladly bow down to another talentless one in the quarters.

emotion
01-25-2011, 02:44 PM
I think this is best shot he will ever have at winning a slam. Nadal should beat him, but Ferrer has beat him in HC 3/5 before and nadal has looked quite bad. he plays very well vs Murray, and would be a nightmare match-up for Dolgo. In the final would be the worst, as both Fed and Djokovic own him.

Rafa#Uno:-)
01-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Ferrer is unbeatable...missing much less than nadal which is sweaty,and have problems

samjones
01-25-2011, 06:30 PM
I have watched a good chunk of the coverage of the Australian Open and read many responses on here, and I find it interesting that few talk about his chances of going deep here.

He has only dropped one set so far, although I suppose you could argue that his opponents have been ideal (Nieminen carrying an injury). Raonic up next could be tricky, but if we assume that he wins that then he is into the QF...to possibly face a sub-par Rafa. Considering his high-intensity game, I think it is possible that he could run Nadal into the ground, assuming that Cilic doesn't finish the job first.

What are your views on his tournament so far, and his chances of going further? :)

He's doing okay. He looks very much like a veteran - gets down a break and surrenders the set, but he's playing some quality players and looking good. Next year Milos is going to wipe the Plexicushion with him.

Nole is looking fucking tough!

Horatio Caine
01-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Vamos Pics! :rocker2:

madmax
01-26-2011, 10:26 AM
David "Pics" Ferrer ladies and gents:bowdown:

Allez
01-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Vamos Pics! :rocker2:

Smart speculation...

_Chaz
01-26-2011, 01:49 PM

:worship:
A bit like this "Söderking will beat Nadal at RG '09" thread :D

emotion
01-26-2011, 02:39 PM
I think this is best shot he will ever have at winning a slam. Nadal should beat him, but Ferrer has beat him in HC 3/5 before and nadal has looked quite bad. he plays very well vs Murray, and would be a nightmare match-up for Dolgo. In the final would be the worst, as both Fed and Djokovic own him.

Alriiiiiiiiighhhttt

Shirogane
01-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Pics still flying under the radar, thanks to all that talk about the tears and injuries. :rocker2:

Ozone
01-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Bad luck for Rafa, but I feel great for Ferrer. He's played in 32 straight slams and now he has a shot at the finals. Great guy

peribsen
01-26-2011, 04:24 PM
:worship:OP:worship:
If I could only stand you a couple of drinks!!

SwiSha
01-26-2011, 04:44 PM
gotta love the mtf experts

Horatio Caine
01-26-2011, 07:09 PM
I wonder how many more times we can bump this thread over the remaining years of his career? He is consistently underrented.

He has an outside shot at beating Muzza on Friday, although a strong performance from the latter would be simply too good.

Jimnik
01-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Unbelievable run.